Hamsterdam

Discuss anything you want.
Ace

Re: Hamsterdam

Post by Ace » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

Dang. They disabled my account
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 pm

didn't work, hmph. i know i've had this problem before when switching computers but for the life of me can't remember how i fixed it.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:37 pm

ribbon wrote:PS how is everyone? mist, love, etc
Ohai ribbon; I've been splitting my time these days between work (where I just got an "exceeds expectations" on my recent yearly evaluation!), spending time with my 2 new dogs at my apartment, and going to the movies on my days off and writing about them, in preparation for my first ever year in film review thread for sometime in January, I hope; exciting stuff, huh? So anyway, what's new with you?
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm

aw, that's great! congratulations! i'm glad to hear it. i'll keep an eye out for the year in film thread. :up:

as for me, same as usual. about to celebrate three years of marriage to fist, hangin' with the cats, working a ridiculous job that should hopefully be replaced by another more lucrative place of work as soon as i can find one, etc. all good things.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 pm

ribbon wrote:aw, that's great! congratulations! i'm glad to hear it. i'll keep an eye out for the year in film thread. :up:

as for me, same as usual. about to celebrate three years of marriage to fist, hangin' with the cats, working a ridiculous job that should hopefully be replaced by another more lucrative place of work as soon as i can find one, etc. all good things.
Thank you :oops: I haven't been able to see a TON of films from this year so far, or any limited release titles in my small-ish town, but it'll be a start to what I'm hoping to make an annual thing, at least.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 pm

me neither. disappointing year so far, in film.

kinda.

maybe.

i'll probably take that back.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Here's everything I've seen so far, at any rate: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/list/2 ... ed/detail/
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:03 am

i've only seen six of those
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 am

ribbon wrote:i've only seen six of those
What are they?
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 am

Also, Harry Dean Stanton passed away...

:(
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 am

Stu wrote:Also, Harry Dean Stanton passed away...

He will be missed.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:38 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: He will be missed.
Yes indeed, yes indeed.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 am

Stu wrote:Also, Harry Dean Stanton passed away...

Shitty news. Stanton was a legend.
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Stu wrote:What are they?
get out
it comes at night
john wick 2
kong
logan lucky
split
planet of the apes

so i guess 7
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 am

I wonder how many cats Jedi is up to? 11?
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:35 pm

ribbon wrote: get out
it comes at night
john wick 2
kong
logan lucky
split
planet of the apes

so i guess 7
That's a decent start, at least; in addition to what you've already seen, I would recommend also checking out this year's other Logan, haha, as well as Wind River, Baby Driver, & even Dunkirk. I know it's Nolan and all, but it was just such a powerful experience, and much less talky/pretentious than anything he's ever done before. It's a bit of a game-changer for him as a storyteller, if I'm being honest about it.
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:22 am

Wind River was good. I think it was Renner's best performance. And Lizzie Olson did great too.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 pm

I haven't seen a lot of films from 2017, but of what I've seen so far, It Comes at Night is my favorite film of the year. I also recommend checking out the 3 short films Blomkamp made (they can be found on YouTube) as they're really good.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I haven't seen a lot of films from 2017, but of what I've seen so far, It Comes at Night is my favorite film of the year. I also recommend checking out the 3 short films Blomkamp made (they can be found on YouTube) as they're really good.
It Comes At Night wouldn't quite make my top 10 of the year so far, and I'll probably never watch it again (it's just too a bit too small-scale and simplistic writing-wise to stick in my head that much), but I did enjoy the creepy, haunting atmosphere & style and had a pretty engaging time for the one theatrical viewing I took of it, so I sort of recommend it too, heh. As for my current #1 of the year, it's still gotta be Dunkirk, for sure.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Stu wrote:It Comes At Night wouldn't quite make my top 10 of the year so far, and I'll probably never watch it again (it's just too a bit too small-scale and simplistic writing-wise to stick in my head that much), but I did enjoy the creepy, haunting atmosphere & style and had a pretty engaging time for the one theatrical viewing I took of it, so I sort of recommend it too, heh. As for my current #1 of the year, it's still gotta be Dunkirk, for sure.
I didn't like Dunkirk, but I think Nolan did a good job avoiding exposition in it. I hope he continues that in the future. As for It Comes at Night, it's definitely small scale, but I think there's a bit of depth involved.
The hallucinations Travis undergoes could possibly be there to foreshadow his death. Also, the film definitely leaves you thinking about the state of the world throughout it.
As for my 2nd favorite, it's either Zygote or Rakka. I'm not as down on horror as some people are, but I've been havng great experiences this year with horror films so far.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I didn't like Dunkirk, but I think Nolan did a good job avoiding exposition in it. I hope he continues that in the future. As for It Comes at Night, it's definitely small scale, but I think there's a bit of depth involved.
The hallucinations Travis undergoes could possibly be there to foreshadow his death. Also, the film definitely leaves you thinking about the state of the world throughout it.
As for my 2nd favorite, it's either Zygote or Rakka. I'm not as down on horror as some people are, but I've been havng great experiences this year with horror films so far.
Agreed, except for the part when Branagh's character is looking across the Channel, and says something like "You can almost see it from here", and the other guy doesn't know what he means by "it"; dude, he meant your home country, what did you think? :P Anyway, have you ever played The Last Of Us? It has a similar plague-ridden post-apocalyptic atmosphere as ICAN, only much, MUCH more epic and emotional. Great, great game. And, as far as Horror goes, my favorite work in that style from this year currently has to be IT: hacky jumpscares aside, the coming-of-age dramas were strong enough to redeem it as a whole, and make it worth checking out.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Stu wrote:Agreed, except for the part when Branagh's character is looking across the Channel, and says something like "You can almost see it from here", and the other guy doesn't know what he means by "it"; dude, he meant your home country, what did you think? :P Anyway, have you ever played The Last Of Us? It has a similar plague-ridden post-apocalyptic atmosphere as ICAN, only much, MUCH more epic and emotional. Great, great game. And, as far as Horror goes, my favorite work in that style from this year currently has to be IT: hacky jumpscares aside, the coming-of-age dramas were strong enough to redeem it as a whole, and make it worth checking out.
The Last of Us is phenomenal. I haven't seen IT yet.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: The Last of Us is phenomenal. I haven't seen IT yet.
Indeed; I would almost kill to see Hollywood make a proper, faithful adaptation of TLoU someday, for sure. Such an emotional journey it was. Anyway, have you at least seen the older ABC miniseries of IT, or even read the book? Granted, it's over a 1,000 pages long, and it didn't really need to be (put down the typewriter at SOME point, King!), but it was still pretty good anyway. But, it isn't necessary at all to have read it in order to understand the movie, as they streamlined the source material down some, and simplified the nature of the monster in it (something it does better than the novel, even), so it's perfectly enjoyable in its own right.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Stu wrote:Indeed; I would almost kill to see Hollywood make a proper, faithful adaptation of TLoU someday, for sure. Such an emotional journey it was. Anyway, have you at least seen the older ABC miniseries of IT, or even read the book? Granted, it's over a 1,000 pages long, and it didn't really need to be (put down the typewriter at SOME point, King!), but it was still pretty good anyway. But, it isn't necessary at all to have read it in order to understand the movie, as they streamlined the source material down some, and simplified the nature of the monster in it (something it does better than the novel, even), so it's perfectly enjoyable in its own right.
I would kill to see an adaptation of TLoU. I feel a talented director could make a great film out of it. I haven't seen the mini-series or read the book. However, I might look into it someday.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I would kill to see an adaptation of TLoU. I feel a talented director could make a great film out of it. I haven't seen the mini-series or read the book. However, I might look into it someday.
Yup; it's just sitting there waiting, begging to be made into the first classic video game movie, y'know? Anyway, the book's pretty good, but not great, and like I said, is rather overlong, and you don't need to read it to follow the new movie, so I wouldn't be in any rush to get to it. And, I've heard mixed things about the miniseries, but I may watch it someday, just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the moviefilm someday.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Stu wrote:Yup; it's just sitting there waiting, begging to be made into the first classic video game movie, y'know? Anyway, the book's pretty good, but not great, and like I said, is rather overlong, and you don't need to read it to follow the new movie, so I wouldn't be in any rush to get to it. And, I've heard mixed things about the miniseries, but I may watch it someday, just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the moviefilm someday.
I've seen a few of the "scary" moments from the mini-series on youtube, and to be honest, I thought they were more cheesy then terrifying. I might check out the 2017 film though.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I've seen a few of the "scary" moments from the mini-series on youtube, and to be honest, I thought they were more cheesy then terrifying. I might check out the 2017 film though.
Yeah. And based off of this funny-ass review of it, the miniseries also has this odd obsession with trying to make balloons seem scary:

:D
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Stu wrote:Yeah. And based off of this funny-ass review of it, the miniseries also has this odd obsession with trying to make balloons seem scary:

:D
I laughed at 18:32.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:42 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I laughed at 18:32.
By the way Pops, NC just uploaded his review of the new IT recently, and it's pretty damn good stuff, IMO:

Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 am

The Last of Us is basically already a film. It'd be pretty pointless to try to adapt it.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:The Last of Us is basically already a film. It'd be pretty pointless to try to adapt it.
I know, I know, but its story is just so good that I wouldn't mind at all just seeing a mostly-straight live-action version of it. Besides, with Hollywood's "spotty" track record with game adaptations, I think it's about time they did a mostly straight translation of a game with an already-acclaimed story; then, when they prove they can get that right, then maybe we can trust them with a more original, gane-based work...
snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:26 am

what happened why is this place so bustling now lol
Latest notable first-time viewings:

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:40 pm

snapper wrote:what happened why is this place so bustling now lol
the RT forums got the axe
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:22 pm

ewwww

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 pm

also whats going on with trends its not registering things

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Bear refuses to fix it so it's broken until further notice.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:49 pm

We get ourselves a lazy ol' Bear on our hands:

Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 pm

i will never fix it
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 pm

It's probably too much work for the fact that probably only 10 people use it.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 am

I forgot this site even has extra features.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 am

Why did this thread die? We have to at least get this one to 10000.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:07 am

Lack of interest, I guess.
Shitty Film Thread
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 am

Nah. The YMCA has taken over. Foul heathens.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 am

I prefer to spread the hate around. Let it flow.
Shitty Film Thread
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:07 pm

MadMan wrote:I prefer to spread the hate around. Let it flow.
Let it flow, let it flow
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it flow, let it flow
Turn away and slam the door!
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Let it Roll.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 am

Like a rolling stone
Shitty Film Thread
snapper

Post by snapper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:43 am

so whats up

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Snaps! How ya been, man?
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:16 am

I thought snapper was dead.