The Animation Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Loose Seal

Re: The Animation Thread

Post by Loose Seal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am

It's sad, but it was only a matter of time before it happened. All the signs were there, what with them trying to bury Winnie the Pooh despite being one of their best, the change of Frozen/The Ice Queen to CG, and the president of production saying that there were no hand drawn films in production. It not seems that the only future hand-drawn animation has in Disney is with hybrids like Paperman.
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:57 pm

At least this isn't true of overseas. And, of course, we still have all the thousands of old films that we can groove on.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
Das

Post by Das » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Sad - I'm kind of worried about Western 2d Animation, it'd be such a huge shame to lose a majority of it in the next 10 years - hopefully those guys find good homes to work elsewhere.
Loose Seal

Post by Loose Seal » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 pm

I don't doubt they'll find work elsewhere. In fact, this may be a blessing in disguise as this may give those animators more freedom and it may be the first step towards more mature, or bolder animated films being made and being accepted in the American mainstream.

Glen Keane probably saw this coming, and it's probably why he left Disney. Last year he was "creative consultant" on Adam & Dog, which was nominated for an Oscar, and it pretty much was the best Disney film Disney never did.
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 pm

I got to interview Kenji Kamiyama, the writer-director behind Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, about his reboot of Cyborg 009: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/latest/30486 ... _re_cyborg
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Awesome, Speng.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Your real name is even spiffier than "Spengo" although you probably don't think so. :D

This point is interesting
Spengo as himself wrote:Prior incarnations of the 009 franchise could be considered family-oriented. In contrast, Kamiyama’s version tries to represent some semblance of the real world, with a story that involves not just Japan, but also America, Turkey, India and other places around the globe.
I've never seen the original, so I wonder how it's different in scope. The original, I assume, is focused only on Japan, and perhaps a small group of school-kids or something. I know, I could look it up. Heh.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:I know, I could look it up.
You! Get back into your own thread, and stay there.

The Future Unreels
Das

Post by Das » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:57 pm

There's a lot of the old animations of Cyborg 009 that got compromised, but still, there's some brilliantly odd stuff in the old films and series - and as good as Production I.G's animation is looking, it doesn't really retain the visual personality that made the source material iconic, which is kind of a shame - because I think a talented animation house like I.G could do wondrous things sticking with the clean lines and character designs of Shotaro Ishinomori's manga, the artstyle was one that lent itself to motion really beautifully.

Cautious optimism, is what I'm trying to hint at here. If it ends up being a GITS-ified Cyborg 009, that could still be good.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I've actually been desperate for some good animation, whether film or television, lately. Anything I own I've seen, so if anyone has any good recommendations, recently or otherwise, I'd appreciate it.

I tried to be more vague, but I found it to be impossible. :D
Das

Post by Das » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Download The Tatami Galaxy, Dern.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Is it just one season? Eleven episodes from season one are available on Hulu.
Das

Post by Das » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Derninan wrote:Is it just one season? Eleven episodes from season one are available on Hulu.
It's only 11 episodes.

If that hulu stream is in Japanese with english subtitles, you're good.
Notes from Underground

Post by Notes from Underground » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 am

Das wrote:Download The Tatami Galaxy, Dern.
I ain't Dern, but I've just started watching this. Two episodes in and it's good so far.
"I thought, well, heaven, all that marble and giltwork, sounds a bit middle class. I would prefer something that was, I don't know, carpeted and had skirting boards, things like that." — Alan Moore

Last.fm
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:40 am

I think Tatami Galaxy's become my favorite animated series full stop now, each episode contains fascinating formal conceits, and the quickness, and wit of the visual language only seems to grow each time I see it. And it's gorgeously animated, isn't it?
Notes from Underground

Post by Notes from Underground » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:51 am

Das wrote:I think Tatami Galaxy's become my favorite animated series full stop now, each episode contains fascinating formal conceits, and the quickness, and wit of the visual language only seems to grow each time I see it. And it's gorgeously animated, isn't it?
It's fantastic: the opening credit sequence in particular reminds me of Terayama. The only problem is, the quickness and wit of the whole thing is so quick and witty that my slow mind often misses it because I'm trying to consume the subtitles. I think I'll wind up watching everything twice, once with subs and once without. The second time around I'll be able to purely enjoy the animation.
"I thought, well, heaven, all that marble and giltwork, sounds a bit middle class. I would prefer something that was, I don't know, carpeted and had skirting boards, things like that." — Alan Moore

Last.fm
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 am

The speed of speech slows down more past the first episode, which is admittedly, a bit like fucking lightning with the pace the dialogue keeps. I don't remember struggling to keep up after the first episode, but you kind of adjust to the quickness after a few episodes anyway.
Notes from Underground

Post by Notes from Underground » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

Das wrote:The speed of speech slows down more past the first episode, which is admittedly, a bit like fucking lightning with the pace the dialogue keeps. I don't remember struggling to keep up after the first episode, but you kind of adjust to the quickness after a few episodes anyway.
That's good to hear. The second episode was a noticeable step down in pace from the first.

Last.fm
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Porco Rosso--how does it rank amongst other Miazaki?
Loose Seal

Post by Loose Seal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:Porco Rosso--how does it rank amongst other Miazaki?
My Miyasaki rankings:

1. Kiki
2. Spirited Away
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Nausicaa
5. Totoro
6. Porco Rosso
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Ponyo
9. Howl

And I'd say it ranks #9 in overall Ghibli, from what I've seen (everything but Only Yesterday, Poppy Hill, and this year's two new films)
Das

Post by Das » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Miy-a-zaki, guys. :/

Porco Rosso's one of his better films, I feel.
Rasaokis

Post by Rasaokis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 am

Porco Rosso is my favorite film of his.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 am

Ras-ay-okis, Rasaokis. :/
Das

Post by Das » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am

Derninan wrote:Ras-ay-okis, Rasaokis. :/
Did you miss the part where two people in a row misspelled his name or..
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 am

Heh, no I didn't, I just felt like doing that. No offense intended Das!
Das

Post by Das » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 am

Derninan wrote:Heh, no I didn't, I just felt like doing that. No offense intended Das!
Well, I'm going to be so mad at you for no good reason dern, and I'll even blame Phish.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:46 am

You WOULDN'T
Fist

Post by Fist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:35 am

Crazy time.

1. Ponyo
2. Nausicaa
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Porco Rosso
6. Spirited Away
7. Castle in the Sky
8. My Neighbor Totoro
9. Kiki's Delivery Service
10. Lupin the Third
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Fist

Post by Fist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 am

Also I'm two episodes from the end of Tatami Galaxy. For the first half of the series I was continually blown away by its creativity and visual intelligence, but I kind of worried about where it was all going and if it as all going to mean anything. It almost got a bit tedious for that and its repetitiveness. But then holy shit it got so amazing, I can't wait to finish it, this shit is the greatest.
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 am

Porco Rosso is my favorite Miyazaki, with Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro close behind it.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
roujin

Post by roujin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:55 am

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Kiki's Delivery Service
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Porco Rosso
5. Ponyo
6. Spirited Away
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Nausicaa
9. Howl's Moving Castle

don't want to watch Cagliostro until I watch more Lupin.
Das

Post by Das » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Fist wrote:Also I'm two episodes from the end of Tatami Galaxy. For the first half of the series I was continually blown away by its creativity and visual intelligence, but I kind of worried about where it was all going and if it as all going to mean anything. It almost got a bit tedious for that and its repetitiveness. But then holy shit it got so amazing, I can't wait to finish it, this shit is the greatest.
This is something I felt the first time I saw it,
the later episodes knowingly toe the line, they never do - but it's the literal rut of the primary character before he simply gives up on reliving a similar, but different college life over and over again - the last episodes aren't nearly as effective without that lull and break into routine that later episodes keep a slight distance away from.
I'm really happy people are watching this.
Fist

Post by Fist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Yeah. Fantastic finish. The overall structure of this series is really quite great.
I Watch Films, But...
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Das

Post by Das » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Yuasa's finest series, but not by too much. Each work of his is different in interesting ways.

Here's some stuff I wrote about Yuasa in general, if you want to give it a read:
http://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4#p1046564
kiddo in space

Post by kiddo in space » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I downloaded The Tatami Galaxy a while ago on HD. Seems like I must watch it...some day.
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 am

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Spirited Away
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Porco Rosso
6. Nausicaa
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Ponyo
9. Howl's Moving Castle
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
Notes from Underground

Post by Notes from Underground » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Notes from Underground wrote:It's fantastic: the opening credit sequence in particular reminds me of Terayama
Das, I just finished episode 10, which had a Throw Away Your Books... reference. It all makes sense now.

Last.fm
Das

Post by Das » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Terayama's a pretty direct point of influence for Yuasa's work, that reference in particular is well placed in Tatami Galaxy.
Notes from Underground

Post by Notes from Underground » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Das wrote:Terayama's a pretty direct point of influence for Yuasa's work, that reference in particular is well placed in Tatami Galaxy.
I read your piece on Yuasa. Good stuff. I guess I should watch Kaiba next?

Last.fm
Das

Post by Das » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Definitely.
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm

I guess I'll join in, since I kinda started it:

1. Mononoke
2. Totoro
3. Howl's
4. Spirited
5. Castle in the Sky
6. Ponyo
7. Arrietty
8. Kiki's

Those being what I've see so far. Not big on Kiki for some reason.
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 am

Makoto Shinkai, the amount of detail he packs into his frames is awe-inspiring and beyond what even live-action directors would give attention to. The convenience stores in 5 Centimetres Per Second or the glow of the ember in a cigarette seen from 4 metres away in The Garden of Words. It's stunning, but I don''t think he's a writer at all. The Garden of Words comes close to some kind of interesting awareness of the contradictions in human behaviour but 5 Centimetres Per Second tries to convince us of the gravity of all these 'special moments' without letting them happen organically - we never really know anything about these characters so their distance doesn't really weigh heavily on me, nor do the pregnant pauses in their scenes together (the Kanae segment is touching but in such an anime way that I was almost put off).

I want to take both of these movies and remove the music entirely and see how well they fare. These tinkly piano scores and awful pop song inserts honestly disgust me, they cheapen the drama, tarnish the images with their tackiness and ruin the delicacy of emotional moments by shouting at me just as I've begun to feel something. In both there are horrible abrupt segues into abhorrent pop songs. In TGoW I could almost deal with it but it basically erased any goodwill I'd had for 5cmPS.
Latest notable first-time viewings:

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 am

snapper wrote:These tinkly piano scores and awful pop song inserts honestly disgust me
5 Centimeters without the pop song theme is like, I don't know... it ties it all together, for me.

snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 am

I don't understand even liking it, its unforgivable, it came on and I was like "I quit"

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 am

Unforgivable in what context? Most adolescents listen to pop music, no?

snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

I'm talking about the end credits song

It's terrible, it's cloying, it Mickey Mouses the entire film into the worst sentimental kind of densely packed montage

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

snapper

Post by snapper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am

Tatsuo Sato's Cat Soup was lovely. I know it was based on Nekojiru's manga as I did a bit of a browse when reading up beforehand, but was it based on a specific story of hers? Because if not, the themes of fatalism, of borrowed time and of yearning to bring the dying back to life take on a certain sad piquancy in light of her suicide. Really excellent.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Das

Post by Das » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:13 pm

snapper wrote:I'm talking about the end credits song

It's terrible, it's cloying, it Mickey Mouses the entire film into the worst sentimental kind of densely packed montage
Nah. I'm not overly fond of Shinkai's music, but it's never felt terrible to me.

Although I've been around the medium for so long, the idea of a song at the end doesn't even really register as strange to me.

Cat Soup is really excellent, it's not really based on any particular Nekojiru manga - as she did short, self-contained stories.
rad

Post by rad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 pm

watched the first four episodes of The Tatami Galaxy and i just can't wait to watch the rest. really loving this show so far.
rad

Post by rad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am

that was incredible. one of the best things i've seen all year, one of the best series i've seen in a while.