The lukewarm reviews for Rise of the Skywalker remind me of this old video:

Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
Stu

Re: Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants

Post by Stu » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:48 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm
So this took me way longer than originally expected, but I'm really proud of it: a video that asks if Empire was really as critically divided upon release as so many people have suggested it was.

(The answer is: no. Most critics liked it, and many of those critics found it equal to or better than the original.)

Super-late reply here, but I just want to say real quick that I liked this vid, and encourage you to keep doing more; when people try to use appeals to popularity as arguments for or against something (which is problematic on its own), it always bothers me when they use purely anecdotal evidence, or just a handful of opinions as proof, like when people refer to the average scores albums recieve on Metallum (which only involves the reviews of a few dozen people at the most), as opposed to Metalstorm, which is much more accurate, since it measures the rating of as many as thousands of different people. The averages on Metallum in particular are pretty prone to getting hijacked by vocal minorities, as I've seen gaps between it and Metalstorm as big as 28 points wide, and besides, it's a boring discussion to have anyway, as it just relies on pointing to flat numbers provided by anonymous hordes to try to back up your point; just back up your opinions in your own words, and make it engaging, dang it.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Pedro Almodovar’s lockdown diary, part 1: the long journey to the night

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sig ... ary-part-1
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:24 pm

guess whaaaaaaat

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/23/21232 ... rzhanovsky
Dau doesn’t explore the effects of Soviet society on its people. Instead, it’s an embodiment of the power trip gained from imposing such conditions in the first place. It was conceived by creative ego, and it takes the form of artistic malfeasance. If nothing else, Dau finally puts to rest the idea of the all-powerful director, whose suffering-for-art involves making others suffer. The results simply aren’t worth it.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:24 pm
guess whaaaaaaat

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/23/21232 ... rzhanovsky
I don't think I've heard of this till now. Somewhere around the 3rd paragraph of that Guardian article I thought, "this is going to turn into a weird sex thing, I just know it..."
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:57 am

Fuck it, I'm posting this five-year-old montage because, modesty be damned, I'm really proud of it. This took a long time, and my goal back when I made it was to try and motivate every single shot and cut as much as I could. To pack everything with additional meaning.

Obviously, that didn't happen for every cut and shot, and there are quite a few things I'd change about it now esp. in regards to pacing (e.g. I think it was a bad idea to transition from the "run through the woods" to the "walk through the woods," as it dropped the feeling of escalation). But I'm mega-happy about a lot of it, like the way that cutting between Black Sunday and Sleepy Hollow means more if you know how much Burton loves Bava, or how cutting from The Old Dark House to Identity is a deliberate flash-forward from a sub-genre's origins to one of its most recent examples. Moving backwards from Re-Animator to Gordon's inspiration Frankenstein to Whale's inspiration in Caligari (one of the few horror flicks he thought was worth a damn, IIRC). Or how a quick clip of Sam Neill descending a basement in the book-based In the Mouth of Madness leads to a small series of linked "evil tome" images. Or that cutting between Black Lagoon and Jaws was deliberate not just because of the underwater escapades but because Spielberg was such a fan of the B&W classic that he incorporated its "jurassic roar" into the deaths of the Duel truck and the Jaws shark. It's an amateur YouTube montage, but I also think it's got some extremely good stuff in it.

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:07 am

It's a montage worth being proud of. I'd say you could even break up each segment and do a mini video essay on how those images connect and their shared meanings (or contrasted meanings) in the genre.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:43 am

That's a great edit, DaMU! Nice work on it.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am

Great job. One shot flow almost effortlessly into the next.