The YMCA Club

Discuss anything you want.

Which social thread has the worst group of people?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 am

hamsterdam
50%
m&m
50%

Total votes: 22
Death Proof

Re: The YMCA Club

Post by Death Proof » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Slentert wrote:I played D&D for the first time today. My nerdism got raised with 10 points.

It's fun. Been playing pretty much for the last 35 years.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:31 am

I played a few times. I clashed with the people I played with. It all started because they wouln't let me throw a random person down a well. Still it's fun. I'd go back to it if my schedule allowed for it. Cuz I think when they play I'm either working or sleeping.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 am

Anything good for Christmas? I bet kovich got photography stuff, ace got blu Ray's, and genie got the instruction manual for a 1954 vacuum.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Ah, D&D. I'd love to play that again.
My group and I have been playing Delta Green, a Lovecraft-themed military tabletop RPG with one-off characters and quests. I recommend it if you're up for a more casual, pick up and play experience.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I have some friends that want to get me into a Star Wars RPG. and I'll play it! I'm just waiting for a time when our schedules sync up so we can finally get together in person, god dammit.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 am

Vice was actually too nice to Dick Cheney. I still thought it was great, mostly thanks to the cast. The joke parts were kind of hit and miss. There was one funny cameo that surprised me.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Created a discord server for the website. You guys can join.
https://discord.gg/emfRpuE
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 am

Fuck you, Genie, and your Kermit voiced quarterback and your walrus coach. Fuck you all, so much.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:25 am

Evil Prevails wrote:Fuck you, Genie, and your Kermit voiced quarterback and your walrus coach. Fuck you all, so much.
I didn't get much of anything interesting for Xmas, just some money and gift cards, which I've used so far to rent some movies/get a new bluetooth speaker. I did see Into The Spider-Verse twice over the holidays, though, seeing as how it's currently my #1 movie of 2018, and I'm currently pretty deep into researching my next big thread-project, The Golden Age Of Heavy Metal; it's gonna be epic!
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 am

Yeah Spider-Verse is good. We talked about it twice on our podcast. Genie can vouch for it's quality.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:10 am

I hope that Nameless and Obscure finally realized their VR ambitions with the necessary seasonal hardware upgrades and are currently awaiting their roles as alternate Mahershalas for True Detective Season Three*

*based on a flat circle by Nicholas Pizzolatto from the novel by Miss Cleo
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 am

So they mentioned "the crooked spiral" in True Detective Season 3. True Detective cinematic universe? lol
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:25 am

Amber Lamps looked so ridiculous in Aqward Man, guys :(
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 am

Her costume looked like a Poison Ivy design with some scales added at the last minute.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 am

Oh movie, you so funny!
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 am

Ace wrote:Yeah Spider-Verse is good. We talked about it twice on our podcast. Genie can vouch for it's quality.
Aye it's pretty excellent.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Today is my 18th birthday so to celebrate I'm forcing my friends to go see The Favourite with me. Hopefully it will be fun and they won't hate me afterwards.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:24 pm

"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Ah ah ah ah ah.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
██████████████████████████████████████████The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:03 am

Slentert wrote:Today is my 18th birthday so to celebrate I'm forcing my friends to go see The Favourite with me. Hopefully it will be fun and they won't hate me afterwards.
Happy birthday, Slent (man, you're young)! Did you like the moviefilm?
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

@Rock and Stu: Thank you for the birthday wishes. They're much appreciated. :heart:

I really liked The Favourite and will try to write something decent about it one of these days.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 am

I wish The Favorite would come to my area. I loved The Lobster.
Shitty Film Thread
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:07 am

So I plan on getting quite wasted on Sunday for the game. Really the only time the whiskey comes out for me. Any advice on enjoying myself and not feeling like death and yakking all over the place like the past two big games? Preventing hangovers?
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 am

Drink lots of water.
____
Blog!
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 am

Always be aware where the bathroom is and how far away you are and how log it'll take you to get there. That could be the difference between missing the toilet and just a regular throw up
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Drink good whiskey neat or in cocktails, you'll drink slower and savor it more, have a glass of water with or between each drink, avoid sugar, eat something filling, go to bed early, drink more water, take ibuprofen definitely not tylenol.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:30 am

Damn fine whiskey this is. Isn't there suppose to be a game on?
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I know Evil likes American football and since there's no sports thread here: I'm taking the Rams.

That's not entirely due to Patriot-hate, but I do tend to root for younger, more exciting teams. It's also in spite of that whole Saints debacle (which wasn't exactly the Rams fault, unless some money changed hands).

In terms of celebrity lookalikes: Ryan Godsling > FrankenDiCaprio
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Rams all the way, they've got 3 former Broncos who I love, and they are of course representing my preferred side in half of the superbowls played in the last 17 years, the Notpatriots.

My interest in football has really been waning since Peyton retired though, I wish he had gotten in the booth and become Tony Romo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 am

This disgruntled Saints fan watched Horsefeathers tonight instead of the game.

Watching Harpo tackle a ref was very cathartic.
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:59 am

Evil didn't believe enough.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 am

Of all the Super Bowls played, that was definitely one of them.
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 am

That game was almost Harvard v Yale. 1906.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 pm

Garbage Super Bowl for a garbage league run by garbage people. Fuck everything, go Chiefs.
Shitty Film Thread
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:43 pm

at least the Puppy Bowl was great (as usual).
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Not a game that will be inspiring anyone's enthusiasm for the sport. One of Brady's worst performances (certainly his worst SB showing), while the Rams constantly engaged in bafflingly rookie calls (punt on 4th & 1 with 28 seconds left in the half? run the ball on 3rd & 22?!?). Add in the increasingly arbitrary ref calls/non-calls, aggressively mediocre douchebag halftime show and the sheer idiocy of the commercials (a "sugar-free alcoholic beverage"? lol, fucking nitwits) and it was a highly irritating evening.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:48 pm

You Must Remember This has gone on an unspecified hiatus. what are some other good podcasts I can use to fill my podcast void? could be about movies or anything.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:You Must Remember This has gone on an unspecified hiatus. what are some other good podcasts I can use to fill my podcast void? could be about movies or anything.
My latest podcast obsession is Obsessed with Joseph Scrimshaw (pardon the pun). In each episode, a guest talks about something they're obsessed with, and the obsessions range from the store Target to collecting old video game consoles. Each episode ends with a James Lipton-inspired questionnaire about their obsessions with silly questions like "would you share your obsession with Hitler?" There's something strangely endearing about hearing people discuss a subject of a personal nature. With the exception of MST3K's Kevin Murphy and The Venture Brothers' James Urbaniak, It would be nice if the guests were more recognizable - most of them are up-and-coming comedians, other podcasters and/or people who only have minor Internet fame - but it's a minor complaint because all the guests I've listened to so far have been good speakers.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:You Must Remember This has gone on an unspecified hiatus. what are some other good podcasts I can use to fill my podcast void? could be about movies or anything.
Alright, I'm gonna rattle off some titles:

Pure Cinema Podcast probably the best movie podcast out there. Hosted by the amazing Elric Kane and Brian Saur. Their episodes usually revolve around lists about a certain topic, but they're not necessarily their favorite movies, but just 5 movies that are underseen/underappreciated and deserve to be highlighted. They recently teamed up with the New Beverly theater and are now producing more episodes than ever. A great podcast if you're looking for obscure yet awesome recommendations.
Best to start with episode number one, where they introduce their "handshake five" to get a good idea of the hosts' taste.

Wrong Reel A Podcast for Hardcore Cinephiles. We tackle everything from Jean-Luc Godard to Jean-Luc Picard. Every episode starts with this description and it is actually perfect. Host James Hancock gets joined every week by one or several movie experts to take a deep dive into a certain topic. This can be the latest Marvel flick, the entire career of Federico Fellini, or analyzing a classic like Mike Leigh's Naked.
You can just pick any episode to begin with, just choose a topic you're interested in or would like to learn more about.

Switchblade Sisters Film critic April Wolfe sits down every week with a female director, actress, writer etc. to discuss a favorite genre film of theirs, while simultaneously interviewing the guest about their career and way of working. Always interesting and informative.

The Director's Club There are 2 versions of this podcast. The original one, hosted by Patrick Ripoll and Jim Laczkowki, and than you have the currently running reboot, led by two other guys. I prefer the former. Every episode centers around the work of a movie director, usually centering out two specific movies of their oeuvre, and often the hosts are joined by a guest. Highly recommended.
My favorite episode is the one about Richard Linklater, which I consider one of the best pieces of podcast ever recorded, but I'd recommend just starting with one around a director you're already pretty familiar with.

Supporting Characters Bill Ackerman was one of my favorite guests on The Director's Club. So naturally I was an instant listener when he started his own podcast. This one is a bit different from the others I've mentioned since the show is actually not about movies, but about the film community. Every episode contains an interview with a critic, podcaster, film programmer, preservationists etc. Guests include high-profile people like Jonathan Rausenbaum, Bill Lustig, Maitland McDonagh, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Kier-La Janisse. Ackerman is an incredibly skilled interviewer, often making his guests blush with the amount of research he has done.
Again, you can basically start with any episode, but my favorite is the one with Alan Jones, someone who has led a wild and interesting life getting to know people like Dario Argento and Sid Vicious.

The Projection Booth Every episode host Mike White and a selection of film experts go really deep into a movie. And when I say deep, I mean DEEP. Like 3 hours of analyzing individual scenes, comparing the movie to the screenplay or even the original source novel, and interviews with people involved in the making of the movie.
Start with an episode about a movie you know well.

The Movies That Made Me The official podcast of Trailers from Hell. Host Josh Olson (writer of A History of Violence) has a conversation with a filmmaker every week, not about their work but about movies that inspired them, while director Joe Dante serves as a talking encyclopedia. Guests include William Friedkin, Panos Cosmatos, Ron Perlman and Joe Bob Briggs.
Some of my favorite episodes are the ones with Uwe Boll (I'm not joking, it's truly fascinating) and Illeana Douglas.

The Secret History of Hollywood This is one to fill the void that You Must Remember This left. Listening to this is like having an entire biography being read to you. Currently the host Adam Roche is working on a series around the career of Val Lewton and it is wonderful. Episodes usually go on for longer than two hours so there is always a big gap between episodes, but Roche recently announced he will be working full time on the show, so expect it to be more frequently updated.

Hope this will be of any help.
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 am

Could listen to my podcast and tell me how much we suck. It's film related but we go off on so many tangents.
Were called The Film Raiders
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Double Feature is another movie podcast worth listening to. Each episode features the hosts discussing two movies with a common theme, such as The Conversation and Rear Window (voyeurism). It's also lean and efficient at 40+ minutes an episode.
Last Great Movie Seen
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 am

Alita was good. Like totes good.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Ace wrote:Alita was good. Like totes good.
I dug it too. The action and storytelling are both very solid.
Also, don't let Alita's big eyes fool you: for a movie that's pretty CGI heavy, it has a lot more physicality than you'd expect.
But why, why why did they
have to kill the little dog?
Last Great Movie Seen
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:01 am

Loved this:

Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:22 am

YO I GOT TO TAKE PHOTOS OF SARAH MCLACHLIN YO
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Diana Rigg on the evergreen immaturity of Bond and hollow nature of Bond women. Gotta love Diana Rigg, kicking ass as Emma Peele before Sigorney Weaver and Jamie Lee Curtis were out of grade school, and having the stones to fight for fair pay on her show (The Avengers) when she found out she was making less than the camera man.
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 am

Adam Woerlein died. He posted on here as Joss Whedon. He had his troubles with alcohol. :(

Just thought some of you might care. Also he was Canadian too.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

Ace wrote:Adam Woerlein died. He posted on here as Joss Whedon. He had his troubles with alcohol. :(

Just thought some of you might care. Also he was Canadian too.
Somebody mentioned that here awhile back. Said he read it on Facebook. Also said he was Uncomfortably Numb back on RT.

Belated RIP
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:06 am

Yeah I found out he passed away from Facebook. Shame.

Diana Rigg is still awesome.
Shitty Film Thread
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Was it a suicide?