The YMCA Club

Discuss anything you want.

Which social thread has the worst group of people?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 am

hamsterdam
50%
m&m
50%

Total votes: 22
A Fake Account

Re: The YMCA Club

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:53 am

Sugar and Mississippi Grind are both solid movies made by Boden/Fleck in that interim between Half Nelson and Cap'n Marvel, but they didn't seem to find an audience. It's Kind of a Funny Story, on the other hand, is cloying trash that hints at the worst elements of their Marvel movie.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:55 am

They made it's kind of a funny story?! Ugh, that movie sucks butt!!!!
Firebender

Post by Firebender » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:46 pm

I liked both Captain Marvel and Antman and The Wasp!!!!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:24 am

Firebender wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:46 pm
So did I. Marvel was good but both Antman movies rock way more. Paul Rudd is hilarious.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 pm

Anyone see Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood?
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 am

Stu wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 pm
Yep, another Quentin triumph.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 am

I thought it was fine even though I'd still be happy to never see another "love letter to the movies" movie again. but I know that "love letter to the movies" has always been Tarantino's brand so.....
though I agree with MKS that it pulls off its end-scene melancholy quite nicely
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 am

Firebender wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:46 pm
How many marijuana cigarettes have you been "vaping" Firebender
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 am
I thought it was fine even though I'd still be happy to never see another "love letter to the movies" movie again. but I know that "love letter to the movies" has always been Tarantino's brand so.....
though I agree with MKS that it pulls off its end-scene melancholy quite nicely
Of all of the talk about the film's misogyny and "rage against women", I felt that the indifferent disposal of Rick's wife at the end ("Sorry, darling, about all of this random traumatic threat of murder you had to endure in your first night in our new home, but, uh, take these pills while I'll just be partying next door with a more famous and attractive woman") left a more sour taste in my mouth than the whole deal with Cliff's wife.

All I know for certain is that I need to start skipping those Jezebel articles written by men.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:32 am

Obscure wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 am
How many marijuana cigarettes have you been "vaping" Firebender
I "vape" out of this thing now :shifty:

The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 am

Seeing that Quentin Tarantino movie on Tuesday
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:50 am

Stu wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 pm
Excellent flick.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 am

Evil wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 am
Yep, another Quentin triumph.
While you may have been expecting me to poo-poo this one too, considering my noted disappointment with QT's last four efforts (and even before then, I still felt he was often a mixed bag), I actually really did feel it was pretty good. Not great, mind you, but still solid, considering that he bothered developing a character in a meaty, engaging manner this time (something that I feel I'm in the minority when I say it's THE thing that Tarantino does best, like Jules, or the relationships between Max/Jackie and Bill/The Bride... when he actually bothers, that is), and I ended up feeling a surprising amount of sympathy for Dalton in a moment that wouldn't seem like anything from an outside perspective, but meant everything in the world to him at that juncture.

That, plus the movie being a generally pretty entertaining, loving tribute to the American film industry finally leaving the Classical period behind to move onto the all-too-brief era of the New Hollywood, left me actually liking it, the first Tarantino I've done so for since Vol. 2. Don't get me wrong, it was a bit self-indulgent at times (naturally) with the late 60's LA scenery/period details, it could've stood to be at least 15 minutes shorter (with a few less scenes of people just cruising around town, listening to the radio), and Dalton's arc should've used at least a little bit more focus, seeing as how the film juggles its attention too much between him, Cliff, and Tate at times, but, while not great, it's still a good 8/10 at least, and a step back in the right direction for him, as far as I'm concerned.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 am
Of all of the talk about the film's misogyny and "rage against women", I felt that the indifferent disposal of Rick's wife at the end ("Sorry, darling, about all of this random traumatic threat of murder you had to endure in your first night in our new home, but, uh, take these pills while I'll just be partying next door with a more famous and attractive woman") left a more sour taste in my mouth than the whole deal with Cliff's wife.
At the risk of nit-picking a movie I otherewise enjoyed for the most part,
the details about Cliff's wife bothered me more personally, seeing as how the film had all-but-confirmed that he did kill her (it certainly never implied his innocence at any point), so, during the climax, we're basically supposed to root for some real-life murderers to get completely brutalized... by a fellow murderer, which muddies the waters for what's an unnecessary character detail (as the film firmly established Cliff's capability/propensity for violence multiple other times anyway), feels like another example of Tarantino not being aware of the occasional obnoxiousness of his more sadistic tendencies, and somewhat undermines the whole point of the scene. He's a fictional murderer, yes, but obviously, he's just as "real" within the reality of the film as the Manson Family are, so it just doesn't work, unless Tarantino was trying to go for some additional meta-commentary that the fictional characters/elements in the film don't matter in the sobering light of what really happened, but in that case, then the extreme historical revisionism doesn't matter either, and then there's no real catharsis during that scene and it's all completely pointless, which is not something I can imagine he intended. It's like that part in DP when we're supposed to (very abruptly) start rooting for the girls to get revenge after they just abandoned their friend to be sexually assaulted by "Tom Joad", and laughed about it as they drove away; Tarantino, stop being such a socio, would ya?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 am
At the risk of nit-picking a movie I otherewise enjoyed for the most part,
I agree that it's pointless. I personally have few issues with the film that either hindered my enjoyment or I felt I had no reason to assume going in.

Ftr, here's the Jezebel article I was referencing, which is one of the worst pieces (as in unfair and poorly reasoned) on the film that I've seen, and it just happens to be written by a guy who I have good money will eventually be outed for Whedon-level scummery. No one can be this sanctimonious without some skeletons.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:32 am
I "vape" out of this thing now :shifty:

What in the world...
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:20 am

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 am
What in the world...
It's made by ze Germans, it like heats up and you put your "herb" chamber on the top, then click a bag on top of that, and turn on the air and it pushes heated air through your herb and fills the bag. Then you attach your mouthpiece to the bag and get straight "gooned", and holy I have never actually been gooned until this thing
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am

Speaking of terrible things, you want to hear something pretty gooned up? A producer at a major motion picture studio read my "screenplay" and liked it, but wants something that's an outright comedy, and I don't have anything like that. I gooned up my big break Nameless, I gooned it right up!
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:20 am
It's made by ze Germans, it like heats up and you put your "herb" chamber on the top
So it's some sort of German chamber of gas? Interesting...
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 am

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am
Speaking of terrible things, you want to hear something pretty gooned up? A producer at a major motion picture studio read my "screenplay" and liked it, but wants something that's an outright comedy, and I don't have anything like that. I gooned up my big break Nameless, I gooned it right up!
That sucks! Urg, and Rian Johnson is somehow allowed to make another movie, Knives Out ft Daniel Craig, this world is just straight up unfair
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am
So it's some sort of German chamber of gas? Interesting...
:shifty:
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:36 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 am
That sucks! Urg, and Rian Johnson is somehow allowed to make another movie, Knives Out ft Daniel Craig, this world is just straight up unfair
I should've written a "stoner" comedy about two weed bros daping wild vape sticks, everyone loves those :*(
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 am

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:36 am
I should've written a "stoner" comedy about two weed bros daping wild vape sticks, everyone loves those :*(
I can picture a comedic duo like that Paul Rudd movie with the Rush... I Love You, Man... one guy is all super stoner and the other guy is like you lol (played by Paul Rudd ideally) and they go on a wild misadventure in an attempt to get you "gooned"
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 am
I can picture a comedic duo like that Paul Rudd movie with the Rush... I Love You, Man... one guy is all super stoner and the other guy is like you lol (played by Paul Rudd ideally) and they go on a wild misadventure in an attempt to get you "gooned"
INT. FIREBENDER'S STONER VAN - DAY

Firebender spliffs a dank joint of primo Cali chronic while Namleess does whatever the fuck that German weed bong is for.

FIREBENDER: Wow, dude, this primo Cali chronic is dank.

NAMELESS: I know, right? And this German weed bong is incredibly good at whatever the fuck it's for. Gnarly!

They both "hang ten" like a couple of surfer dudes.

I mean this stuff basically writes itself.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 am

FIREBENDER: We should get Obscure totally gooned and listen to the new Peppa Pig album

NAMELESS: Uhhhhhh and this German weed bong is incredibly good at whatever the fuck it's for
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:12 am

*googles Peppa Pig*

What in the world...
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 am

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:12 am
*googles Peppa Pig*

What in the world...
Your British childhood begins now.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 am

Postman Pat will fuck up your shit.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:38 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 am
Your British childhood begins now.
Marijuana weed has gone too damn far.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 am

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:38 am
Marijuana weed has gone too damn far.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 am

And yet for some reason they still let Seth Rogan write movies.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:50 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 am
And yet for some reason they still let Seth Rogan write movies.
At least until those Good Boys receipts come in. Personally, I'm predicting the new "death knell for R-rated comedies" as the think piece du jour once that comes out.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:50 am
At least until those Good Boys receipts come in. Personally, I'm predicting the new "death knell for R-rated comedies" as the think piece du jour once that comes out.
I was reading somewhere else about how pitiful this decade's comedies have been, seemingly at an accelerating pace. I mean, what's the funniest film of the two-tens? What We Do in the Shadows? When you pare it down to strictly studio releases, it gets really sad.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 am
I was reading somewhere else about how pitiful this decade's comedies have been, seemingly at an accelerating pace. I mean, what's the funniest film of the two-tens? What We Do in the Shadows? When you pare it down to strictly studio releases, it gets really sad.
It's all about that international market now, and our witty banter doesn't translate in China. So the choice is between skewing as broad as possible with heavy emphasis on physical humor or just forgoing humor altogether for international releases.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 am

That Good Boys is getting fairly decent reviews shofty eyes

But I was going to say to Obscure that comedy is out and horror is in. Cabin in those Woods was kinda a stoner comedy horror, write that
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:18 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 am
"Fairly decent" this far ahead of release basically means bad. From a studio marketing perspective, the lion's share of the reviews on the Tomatometer this far out should just be the hand-picked internet stooges that should be automatic thumbs up. This is the stage when a studio should be trying to manufacture universal buzz with quotes ready-made for the last-ditch commercials and posters. Mark my words, that 78% approval rating is going to plunge the closer we get to the release date. Also, I'm drunk, so please don't mark my words.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:18 am
Also, I'm drunk, so please don't mark my words.
I'll let you off this time but holy moly do you not know the "math"
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 am

But I was going to say to Obscure that comedy is out and horror is in. Cabin in those Woods was kinda a stoner comedy horror, write that
I'd actually really like to write a horror script but I never seem able to. Maybe I'm just too much of a wimp.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Obscure wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 pm
I'd actually really like to write a horror script but I never seem able to. Maybe I'm just too much of a wimp.
Just write about what you're scared of. Maybe killer coffee shop girls, for example. They looked gooned to me.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Zombie apocalypse scenario where due to "legalization" everyone is "gooned out of their collective minds" and resorts to eating flesh, leaving a few plucky "straight edge" people to survive against all odds

Or just write THE ATTIC
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Just write about what you're scared of. Maybe killer coffee shop girls, for example. They looked gooned to me.
The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 pm
Zombie apocalypse scenario where due to "legalization" everyone is "gooned out of their collective minds" and resorts to eating flesh, leaving a few plucky "straight edge" people to survive against all odds

Or just write THE ATTIC
All great ideas.
Evil

Post by Evil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 am

I'm gonna make a gravity bong for smoking cocktails.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 am

Evil, what's a good horror movie premise
Evil

Post by Evil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 am
Evil, what's a good horror movie premise
Bunch of young people with built up resentments against each other find themselves in a classic horror movie premise, I think I went hillbilly murderer in a junkyard. Anyways, hillbilly gets killed after offing one or two of the group and then at least one or even better if two of the survivors realizes/ decides that they can kill the rest of their "friends" and then blame it on the hillbilly.

Was one of my cant miss premises back when I used to half heartedly write things . You can have it free of charge.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 am

That's... really good?
Evil

Post by Evil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 am

You seem surprised?
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:11 am

Evil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 am
You seem surprised?
I didn't think you'd take it seriously :shifty:

Look up at all those other so-called "suggestions" ugh
Evil

Post by Evil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:14 am

I've always been your Calgarian mentor, I'd never steer you wrong.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 am

SO does anyone have any home remedies to treat an ulcer. Cuz it's really cutting down on all the foods and drinks I can enjoy. It basically means no spicy food. And no hard liquor. And that's the best kind of liquor.
I'm currently trying Dragons blood and i dont know if that's working or not.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 am

Evil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 am
Bunch of young people with built up resentments against each other find themselves in a classic horror movie premise, I think I went hillbilly murderer in a junkyard. Anyways, hillbilly gets killed after offing one or two of the group and then at least one or even better if two of the survivors realizes/ decides that they can kill the rest of their "friends" and then blame it on the hillbilly.

Was one of my cant miss premises back when I used to half heartedly write things . You can have it free of charge.
Cool. I would watch that.
Shitty Film Thread