The YMCA Club

Discuss anything you want.

Which social thread has the worst group of people?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 am

hamsterdam
50%
m&m
50%

Total votes: 22
A Fake Account

Re: The YMCA Club

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 am
So who the fuck is this guy?
Well you would fucking know if this fucking website had a fucking "I forgot my password" function like every other place on the internet.

Also, sous vide fish is really good, especially tuna.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 am
Well you would fucking know if this fucking website had a fucking "I forgot my password" function like every other place on the internet.

Also, sous vide fish is really good, especially tuna.
Yeah, I know that part, it's why I have 30 posts or whatever, lol. Don't keep me in suspense here.

We have used ours for fish, vegetables, and of course steak, every time for steak. The only problem is we do steak like once a month and still haven't wrote done the temperature where it was absolutely perfect that one time, last time we did 127 and it was a touch over, so I think it was 123. We will see in a few weeks when we do it again.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:46 am

ARE YOU ROUGE?
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:39 am
The show has always felt like a live-action cartoon to me, but it definitely got extra zany at times this season.
Yeah there were definitely a lot of points of the season that was TOO much, but overall I thought the season was fine.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 am

B99 is still fun, don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin'. Well maybe a little bit, it is what I do.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 am

Also, Obscure, if you are looking for horror movies you should watch It, total fucking garbage.

I was weridly enthralled with Castle Rock though, which is Steven King "inspired" show that was on Hulu or whatever. It's not great, or even good, but it was really grab you and keep you watching.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 am

That movie shouldn't have shown the \/\/itch so early
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 am
Also, Obscure, if you are looking for horror movies you should watch It, total fucking garbage.

I was weridly enthralled with Castle Rock though, which is Steven King "inspired" show that was on Hulu or whatever. It's not great, or even good, but it was really grab you and keep you watching.
Heh, I just watched that last week. I'm a total wuss about horror so I assumed the clown was going to freak me out, but I thought he was RIDICULOUS. Like the goofiest thing ever.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:56 am

Obscure wrote:
That movie shouldn't have shown the \/\/itch so early

I wonder if people are still mad cause it had real witches? Let me know, Janson.

Me and the wife love it, watch it around every Halloween, tis a fun tradition.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:56 am
I wonder if people are still mad cause it had real witches? Let me know, Janson.

Me and the wife love it, watch it around every Halloween, tis a fun tradition.
Wait, people were mad about that? lol, people are so dumb. I'm smart, I watch smart movies and get them
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am
Heh, I just watched that last week. I'm a total wuss about horror so I assumed the clown was going to freak me out, but I thought he was RIDICULOUS. Like the goofiest thing ever.

It was just so fucking trash, like a haunted house ride in the worst possible way. Just ... exhausting.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 am
It was just so fucking trash, like a haunted house ride in the worst possible way. Just ... exhausting.
The fact that he kept getting defeated by doors was amazing. Couldn't stop laughing.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 am
Wait, people were mad about that? lol, people are so dumb. I'm smart, I watch smart movies and get them
Something about justifying the puritans burning witches or something like that if I remember correctly. Like if you made a movie about a bunch of Jews in late WW1 Germany sabotaging the war effort. I don't know if anyone actually made that analogy, but its the one I am going with.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 am
We have used ours for fish, vegetables, and of course steak, every time for steak. The only problem is we do steak like once a month and still haven't wrote done the temperature where it was absolutely perfect that one time, last time we did 127 and it was a touch over, so I think it was 123. We will see in a few weeks when we do it again.
A couple questions: What is your container and what is your cover? My results for meat improved when I shifted from a dutch oven to a plastic bin, and they improved further when I replaced the lid with ping-pong-style balls floated directly on the surface. I can't say I understand the reasoning for this, but a temperature of 124 has produced a consistent medium rare on steak that only needs a further sear in the pan.
ARE YOU ROUGE?
Blasphemy. (There's a clue there.)
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 am
Something about justifying the puritans burning witches or something like that if I remember correctly. Like if you made a movie about a bunch of Jews in late WW1 Germany sabotaging the war effort. I don't know if anyone actually made that analogy, but its the one I am going with.
Oh. Well... Huh. I need to think about this more.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:02 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 am
The fact that he kept getting defeated by doors was amazing. Couldn't stop laughing.
Man, that reminds me about the old discussions of Signs. At least that movie nailed the terrifying part, it all just fell completely to shit when you thought about it for thirty seconds, but you didn't have time to do that in the theater when you see that goddamn alien at the birthday party and your whole body screams in panic.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:04 am

Also! First kid, the clown just straight up bites his arm off. Good thinking, clown. For the next dozen encounters, he turns into scary stuff and chases them around until they escape through a door, which he can't figure out. Then he gets a kid and bites his head, except it just like scratches him a bit. That clown is straight up terrible.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 am

A Fake Account wrote:
A couple questions: What is your container and what is your cover? My results for meat improved when I shifted from a dutch oven to a plastic bin, and they improved further when I replaced the lid with ping-pong-style balls floated directly on the surface. I can't say I understand the reasoning for this, but a temperature of 124 has produced a consistent medium rare on steak that only needs a further sear in the pan.

Blasphemy. (There's a clue there.)

We use the big rubbermaid bin, it's ... 12 quart or something? It's big. I bought the special lid that fits it tight and has a hole to fit the Joule sous vide. What kind of sous do you have? I was a little disappointed when we got it cause it has no manual controls, it's the app or nothing, but once I got over that it is super simple and reliable to use. The ping pong ball lid sounds ... odd. We like ours rare with a super hot and fast and fill the whole house with smoke sear.

I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious here. Genie? lol, he couldn't afford steak
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:10 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 am
Oh. Well... Huh. I need to think about this more.
I'm not gonna lie, I think that theoretical movie I just described should be Quentin's last picture, I would watch the shit out of that. Also, if you think about it, that is actually the premise of Wonder Woman.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:11 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:10 am
I'm not gonna lie, I think that theoretical movie I just described should be Quentin's last picture, I would watch the shit out of that. Also, if you think about it, that is actually the premise of Wonder Woman.
I still haven't seen Wonder Woman or Endgame :_)
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 am

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:11 am
I still haven't seen Wonder Woman or Endgame :_)
They're all the same movie.

But srsly, she's an Israeli (in real life) fuckin' up the German Army late in WW1. She might even stab some dudes in the back with her big sword, very problematic.

I think I bailed on IT after the abandoned house scene, and then went and gaped at all the good reviews.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god, do you want to watch the worst "horror" movie ever? Like they spent somebody's bar mitzvah money to make it terrible? I'm really after the jews tonight for some reason. Fucking Alex Weitzman and his disney obsession, that's weird, I don't care what anyone says.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:20 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 am
We use the big rubbermaid bin, it's ... 12 quart or something? It's big. I bought the special lid that fits it tight and has a hole to fit the Joule sous vide. What kind of sous do you have? I was a little disappointed when we got it cause it has no manual controls, it's the app or nothing, but once I got over that it is super simple and reliable to use. The ping pong ball lid sounds ... odd. We like ours rare with a super hot and fast and fill the whole house with smoke sear.
I use a large plastic bin as well. So the difference we have now is with the cover. I've gotten better results with the plastic balls, and the logic behind it (which I still need to investigate further despite the results) is that they supposedly improve the efficiency of the heat retention (in other words, balls floating directly on the service of the water allow for less heat loss than a lid a few inches off the service}. Again, I can't offer any scientific reasoning, but I have anecdotal evidence that it works.
I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious here. Genie? lol, he couldn't afford steak.
Blah! A blatant blasphemy!
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am

Is heat loss much of an issue though? I thought the point of the lid was evaporation prevention, which again isn't a real issue unless you're going for 36 hours or something, which I have seen a duck confit recipe that calls for that that I have on the to do list.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am
Is heat loss much of an issue though? I thought the point of the lid was evaporation prevention, which again isn't a real issue unless you're going for 36 hours or something, which I have seen a duck confit recipe that calls for that that I have on the to do list.
Heat loss is an issue in the sense that it needs to remain at a constant throughout the process. My understanding is that an immersion circulator adjusts for the loss but isn't perfect and can be helped along by improving the environment for cooking (ie, a better sealed bag, a better covered pool of water, etc.) This is exactly why I'm not satisfied with my own anecdotal evidence. I don't have an answer on the physics, but at the same time...those balls have worked for me. With sous-vide, there are a whole bunch of factors that still need to be considered: For instance, I've yet to be convinced that sous-vide is entirely unaffected by factors of high altitude that obviously plague baking.
Evil

Post by Evil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:59 am

BadLieutenant?

Srsly, why would you plague me with a mystery when I should be sleeping? Everyone knows I can't let and internet mystery remain unsolved.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:59 am
BadLieutenant?
I mean, technically I've never called myself that on this board...

But also, I'm an asshole. The answer to your dilemma is that I've always been an asshole.
Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:00 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am
I mean, technically I've never called myself that on this board...

But also, I'm an asshole. The answer to your dilemma is that I've always been an asshole.
I'm sorry but the account you have replied to is not in service right now. Please try again later.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:47 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:56 am
It's a nuanced point. For the record I do not have any general problems with films that have "real" witches, with all of the supernational implications being the presumed reality of the setting of the film. I also don't have a problem with films that defiantly refuse to acknowledge the reality of witchcraft, presenting it as plausible perhaps but with a number of other possibilities (Season of the Witch ('73), Simon King of the Witches and Love Witch). And in terms of sheer ambiguity, I still regard Blair Witch Project, taken on the terms that it presents to the audience, as a bellweather of guerrilla filmmaking. So, no, the VVitch's presenting to us a witch as a fact of real nature is not, in itself, my problem with the movie. It's only when combined with the context of....

Evil wrote:
Something about justifying the puritans burning witches or something like that if I remember correctly.
It's not a coincidence that the kind of witchcraft film which works as a sociopolitical critique against dogmatic, usually patriarchal, institutions tends to be secular in nature, rather than supernatural. The presumption is that there's no actual witchcraft involved, and that witches are the projection of various social phobias. This category would include Haxan, perhaps the essential witch film, where all of the fabulous and fantastic scenes of the Witches Sabbath are actually related anecdotally under duress of torture. Or the Czech film Witchhammer, a film devoid of witches, but a scathing indictment of paranoid state inquisitions. Or The Devils, similarly without "real" devils instead of the febrile hostile fantasies of insecure authorities. So, in this sense, the presentation of the Witch as not only an actual supernatural being but one which engages in indefensible cruelty (baby murder) dilutes and renders its patriarchal/puritanical critique toothless. It does justify reacting harshly to what otherwise would be irrational superstitions. And also, small point, but the Devil? Also something of a patriarch himself, if we presume to take his little black velvet gloves seriously.

Evil wrote:
Like if you made a movie about a bunch of Jews in late WW1 Germany sabotaging the war effort. I don't know if anyone actually made that analogy, but its the one I am going with.
Close analogy, but with a crucial omission. Let's take the set up of a film about Jewish resistance. Now let's present the Jews as eating matzah mixed with the blood of baby Christians and have them plotting the fates of the talented Goy through blackmail and assassination all while orchestrating the global banks and inciting all forms of sectarian strife to keep people distracted from their schemes. Then, Schindler (for ex.) may find his story comes off a bit more complicit than Spielberg would have anticipated. By reinforcing the most atrocious aspects of the superstitions surrounding the character (whether Witch or Jew), both films would then undermine any critique for those persecuting them. In fact, given the circumstances, if we presume these hysterical phantoms to be true, then savage meaures might even seem imperative.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:28 am

Evil wrote:

Speaking of King-based shows, it looks like Amberlamps just got cast in this new version of The Stand...

:oops:
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:50 am

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 am
So who the fuck is this guy?
I hope it’s Eva, anyone else can stay gone.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 am

I’m busing to New York next Friday for a book signing by Michael Lang, the co-founder of Woodstock.

Who hear still speaks to the Godtomato? I’m challenging him to a dual.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Obscure wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 am
Is this just a boring period drama?! SMH

Time to go partake in some "edibles" and watch Brooklyn 69
Yes. Yes it is. I did not care for the Witch or whatever the hell it is called.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Evil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 am
They're all the same movie.

But srsly, she's an Israeli (in real life) fuckin' up the German Army late in WW1. She might even stab some dudes in the back with her big sword, very problematic.

I think I bailed on IT after the abandoned house scene, and then went and gaped at all the good reviews.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god, do you want to watch the worst "horror" movie ever? Like they spent somebody's bar mitzvah money to make it terrible? I'm really after the jews tonight for some reason. Fucking Alex Weitzman and his disney obsession, that's weird, I don't care what anyone says.
I liked the It movie, and Alex Weitzman is good people, soooo...whatever, man.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:54 am

A slight asterisk on the above spiel against The Witch, which is that I'm not convinced that the film requires, or invites, all of the patriarchal/puritanical baggage which makes it so morally incompatible. When I saw the film the first time, I enjoyed it without taking any such subtext into account. Robert Eggers, for his part, has been too coy to weigh in explicitly, leaving open a wide berth for interpretation. But the problem became the sheer volume of reviews and commentary which took this critique as gospel, and therefore, it's become a routine issue whenever (which is frequently) the subject comes up. This clarification, that the fault lies more with how it's been interpreted rather than the film itself, is one I've made a number of times as well, but bears repeating.

This is a very adequete example of what I see as a poor reading of the film, although to its credit, there are by the end a couple of flickers of recognition that it just doesn't cohere very well. This reviewer cites this as Eggers' fault. :-/
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 am

Wait. Is A fake Account Lovesexy?
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Ace wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 am
lol no
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Someone referred to A Fake Account as Bad Lieutenant somewhere else on this forum. Is that true?
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Ace wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 am
How dare you.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:17 am

If it was Lovesexy we would know in five minutes haha.
Shitty Film Thread
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:54 pm
Someone referred to A Fake Account as Bad Lieutenant somewhere else on this forum. Is that true?
It was in this very thread and confirmed! Does no one read posts?!
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:29 am

DJ Rkod, did you ever watch izombie?
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:39 am

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 am
It was in this very thread and confirmed! Does no one read posts?!
It's for these very reasons that I worry about the future of our planet.
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 am

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:29 am
DJ Rkod, did you ever watch izombie?
Nah, I got on a big exercise kick and TV kinda got budgeted out. If I hear that it sticks the landing I might check it out once it's done (I'm not going through something like The X-Files' half-dozen horrible endings again).
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:27 pm
How dare you.
To be fair, Lovesexy was known primarily for his lucid elaborations on the history and effect of post-modernism in our culture.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 am

Or maybe that was Runawayrunaway. Hmm.
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 am
Nah, I got on a big exercise kick and TV kinda got budgeted out. If I hear that it sticks the landing I might check it out once it's done (I'm not going through something like The X-Files' half-dozen horrible endings again).
Well .... uh .... hmmm ....

Good luck with the exercise.
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:41 am

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 am
Well .... uh .... hmmm ....

Good luck with the exercise.
Thanks, I've lost like seventy pounds.

I take from your ellipses that iZombie has completely shit the bed?
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 am
To be fair, Lovesexy was known primarily for his lucid elaborations on the history and effect of post-modernism in our culture.
For what it's worth, that conversation at least prompted me to read Mark Leyner's Gone with the Mind, which has entertained me so far.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 am

Anyways, great to have you back here, BL!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 am

I also wonder if we'll ever see Lovesexy here again of if he's gone for good this time.