The YMCA Club

Discuss anything you want.

Which social thread has the worst group of people?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 am

hamsterdam
50%
m&m
50%

Total votes: 22
Evil

Re: The YMCA Club

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:53 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:41 am
Thanks, I've lost like seventy pounds.

I take from your ellipses that iZombie has completely shit the bed?
It wasnt a great final season or finale by any stretch of the imagination. It was lots of fun overall though!

Big congrats on the weight loss. I lost 50 pounds seven years ago and managed to keep 30 of them off consistently.
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 am

Lovesexy is like that cockroach from Wall-E you think he's dead but he comes back. Also I figure with a new Tarantino I figure he would have popped back up.

Good to have Bad Lieutenant back around.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 am

Lovesexy is an ass.

BL is ok.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

I'm just imagining the cockroach from WALL-E going on drug-fueled misogynistic internet tirades now...
Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:53 am
It wasnt a great final season or finale by any stretch of the imagination. It was lots of fun overall though!
Huh, I coulda sworn it was set to wrap this coming season, but then again I probably heard about that, well, last season.

First episode was cute, I'll keep watching. If there are any eps you'd like a more detailed report on lemme know and I'll check in, otherwise I'll just post here whenever something catches my interest.
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 am
I also wonder if we'll ever see Lovesexy here again of if he's gone for good this time.
in all sincerity, I hope he's getting the help that he needs.
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 pm

DJ Rkod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am
I'm just imagining the cockroach from WALL-E going on drug-fueled misogynistic internet tirades now...

Huh, I coulda sworn it was set to wrap this coming season, but then again I probably heard about that, well, last season.

First episode was cute, I'll keep watching. If there are any eps you'd like a more detailed report on lemme know and I'll check in, otherwise I'll just post here whenever something catches my interest.
It's not like Buffy with the super memorable individual episodes, so just general thoughts when something sticks out to you or end of season or whatever you feel.

Also, do any shows have super memorable individual episodes anymore? Or is it just that I am so fucking old now that I dont remember them? Little of column a, little of column b situation prolly.
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Oh hey, BL, have you ever been to the super fancy cocktail bar the Aviary? I think theres one in New York. We went to the original (I believe) in chicago last month.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:09 pm

That New Girl episode where they find the meth was pretty memorable

And B99's "The Box"

That's it though.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Oh hey, BL, have you ever been to the super fancy cocktail bar the Aviary? I think theres one in New York. We went to the original (I believe) in chicago last month.
Yeah, there's one in a hotel near the Time Warner Building. I was only there for a private event when an investment bank was paying the tab, so I'm not sure how it compares to the full menu. The part of the place I really liked was The Office, which was more about pours of rare vintages than the molecular mixology/gastronomy stuff going on in the front room, which got a little fussy for my taste. Is the full menu worth it?

And it makes sense that the original would be in Chicago, since I think it's a spin-off from Alinea. I'm in Chicago once a year in September for a party that takes place at those apartments with viewing decks overlooking Wrigley Field. I'm trying to convince my company to send me there for a week instead of just overnight, ostensibly so I can meet in person with more middle-market sources, but really because I want to hit up restaurants like Alinea and Oriole.
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm

A Fake Account wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm
Yeah, there's one in a hotel near the Time Warner Building. I was only there for a private event when an investment bank was paying the tab, so I'm not sure how it compares to the full menu. The part of the place I really liked was The Office, which was more about pours of rare vintages than the molecular mixology/gastronomy stuff going on in the front room, which got a little fussy for my taste. Is the full menu worth it?

And it makes sense that the original would be in Chicago, since I think it's a spin-off from Alinea. I'm in Chicago once a year in September for a party that takes place at those apartments with viewing decks overlooking Wrigley Field. I'm trying to convince my company to send me there for a week instead of just overnight, ostensibly to I can meet in person with more middle-market sources, but really because I want to hit up restaurants like Alinea and Oriole.
Not to toot our own horns too much but the wife and I are fairly advanced in the mixology, both doing our own stuff at home and experiencing the different cocktail bars in our city and the ones we have visited. We thought it was totally for the rubes, lots of flash and elaborate presentations for way overpriced oversweetened ... just at base not good cocktails. We're still glad we went, cause it was an experience ("your experience has ended", was how our waiter phrased it when we got the cheque lol), but yeah. Also, any cocktail bar where you cant sit at the bar is automatically bullshit to me.

We missed out on Delilahs cause we were only there for 2 days, it's pretty famous apparently in the opposite spectrum, as a divey punky bar but with a 1600 bottle whiskey selection. That's top of the list for when we go back. I'll keep alinea in mind as well.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm
Not to toot our own horns too much but the wife and I are fairly advanced in the mixology, both doing our own stuff at home and experiencing the different cocktail bars in our city and the ones we have visited. We thought it was totally for the rubes, lots of flash and elaborate presentations for way overpriced oversweetened ... just at base not good cocktails. We're still glad we went, cause it was an experience ("your experience has ended", was how our waiter phrased it when we got the cheque lol), but yeah. Also, any cocktail bar where you cant sit at the bar is automatically bullshit to me.

We missed out on Delilahs cause we were only there for 2 days, it's pretty famous apparently in the opposite spectrum, as a divey punky bar but with a 1600 bottle whiskey selection. That's top of the list for when we go back. I'll keep alinea in mind as well.
I was sort of hedging myself in case you had a good time with what is a pretty pricey experience, but your account lines up with mine. "For the rubes" completely sums it up. I'm sure The Office was wildly overpriced, but it was definitely the better half of the experience, as they didn't overburden the booze with a bunch of syrups or infusions or balloons full of bullshit (and in contrast to The Aviary, it's ALL bar). I also didn't want to rule out that this was possibly one of a bunch of recent Chicago culinary exports to New York that have apparently gotten lost in translation. The latest one is Au Cheval, with a burger that got raves in Chicago, but the New York version got trashed in reviews.
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 pm
It's not like Buffy with the super memorable individual episodes, so just general thoughts when something sticks out to you or end of season or whatever you feel.

Also, do any shows have super memorable individual episodes anymore? Or is it just that I am so fucking old now that I dont remember them? Little of column a, little of column b situation prolly.
I think there are two factors contributing to this:

1) "Peak TV," especially in its hour long drama form, seems to have mostly deemphasized the standalone episode in favor of 6 to 13-hour films/miniseries/whatever you wanna call it. Maybe it's supposed to be more prestigious, idk. Like, I really enjoy Better Call Saul, but I enjoy it on a macro level, I couldn't tell you my favourite episode if you held a fucking gun to my head.

2) The shows that still roll with that episodic life don't have writer's rooms as good as Buffy's (probably because those writers have gone over to the Peak TV shows). A lot of the shit on the CW is so directly inspired by Buffy & co. that it verges on parodic, but when they do something like pull out a musical episode, it's just not as good. As much shit as Joss Whedon deservedly gets for... other things, he was excellent at synthesizing a few disparate elements into an impressive whole; now people just look at Buffy and say "That, but with capes/guns/time travel!" and call it a day. Which of course results in something that feels like a flatter imitation instead of entirely its own thing.

All that being said, there are a few shows that stick out. I'd invoke Brooklyn Nine-Nine's "Moo Moo," and probably at least one episode for every season of BoJack Horseman ("Fish Out Of Water" and "Stupid Piece Of Shit" come to mind immediately).
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 am

Throwing in “Free Churro” from Bojack and “Mac Finds His Pride” from the latest season of Sunny.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:17 am

Peak TV is a scam!!! Bring back the Golden Age of TV!!!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 am

TV is dead again, long live TV.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Imagine actually liking things.
Firebender

Post by Firebender » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:24 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 am
Throwing in “Free Churro” from Bojack and “Mac Finds His Pride” from the latest season of Sunny.
That reminds me, I recently watched through it's Always Sunny for the first time! It was great, I don't know why it took me so long to watch it. I still need to watch the latest season though.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:40 am

Firebender wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:24 am
That reminds me, I recently watched through it's Always Sunny for the first time! It was great, I don't know why it took me so long to watch it. I still need to watch the latest season though.
I think I held off too long on Sunny, too, and it was because my impression from the outside was that it was going to be a bunch of lazy shock humor. It is shock humor, but it's not lazy because the writers/stars are so good about keeping their characters carefully defined so that the fucked-up things that happen are always a result of the fucked-up nature of the characters. As far back as "Charlie Got Molested," they start laying out backstories for these people that explain why they're so broken in the present day.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:07 am

I wish there was some way for me to watch It's Always Sunny. I probably have about four seasons to catch up on by now. Feels like eons ago it swept through this thread, aka Evil got me to watch it and I watched it.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:11 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:07 am
I wish there was some way for me to watch It's Always Sunny. I probably have about four seasons to catch up on by now. Feels like eons ago it swept through this thread, aka Evil got me to watch it and I watched it.
Does Canadian Hulu have Sunny like U.S. Hulu does? Because Hulu is part of that whole Disney+, ESPN+ Death Star that's about to take over streaming.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 am

I watched tyhe first episode of It's Always Sunny :shifty:
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:11 am
Does Canadian Hulu have Sunny like U.S. Hulu does? Because Hulu is part of that whole Disney+, ESPN+ Death Star that's about to take over streaming.
As far as I know we don't even have Hulu here.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:19 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 am
As far as I know we don't even have Hulu here.
Ah, wasn't aware it wasn't in Canada yet, but Disney apparently is planning to push it into more international markets, so I can't imagine they'll be leaving you out.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:19 am
Ah, wasn't aware it wasn't in Canada yet, but Disney apparently is planning to push it into more international markets, so I can't imagine they'll be leaving you out.
The only problem is our own homegrown bad (?) streaming app Crave has scooped up a lot of content, so there probably won't be a lot left if Hulu does come here.

I JUST WANT TO WATCH NEW GIRL YOU FUCSKL
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 am
The only problem is our own homegrown bad (?) streaming app Crave has scooped up a lot of content, so there probably won't be a lot left if Hulu does come here.

On the other hand, this is Disney we're talking about. They could buy Canada and turn it into Epcot North if they wanted to.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 am
On the other hand, this is Disney we're talking about. They could buy Canada and turn it into Epcot North if they wanted to.
I welcome this. I've already watched TOMORROWLAND eight times in preparation. Rkod knows what I'm talking aboot.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:34 am

I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF NICK AND JESS END UP TOGETHER
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 am
I welcome this. I've already watched TOMORROWLAND eight times in preparation. Rkod knows what I'm talking aboot.
I'm going to give a knowing nod to this post while not actually understanding it.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:47 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 am
I'm going to give a knowing nod to this post while not actually understanding it.
Story of my life.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:38 am

I've been watching lots of Cheers.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am

Blevo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 pm
That's crazy talk, sir.
Shitty Film Thread
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:00 am

Ace wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:38 am
When the weight of the world has got you down
And you want to end your life,
Bills to pay, a dead-end job,
And problems with the wife.
But don't throw in the towel
'Cuz there's a place right down the block...
Where you can drink your misery away...
At Flaming Moe's.... (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
When liquor in a mug (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
Can warm you like a hug. (Flaming Moe's...)
And happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...
Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:01 am

Blevo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Makes me feel lame, and gives me a headache.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 am

Ace wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:38 am
Apparently Ted Danson had a humongous forehead.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 am

He was so good in Fargo Season 2.
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Had two shots of Death Wish espresso. I don't feel like Charles Bronson, but I think I'm having heart palpitations and feel like I could use a nap. "World's strongest coffee" my ass.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Some other strong coffee brands: Biohazard, Banned, Vallhalla, Zombie and Shock.
I'm clearly not manly enough to drink any of them.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:16 pm

I drink a loooot of coffee, freggin "strong coffee" is a scam it's not like you can magically infuse coffee beans with more caffeine or whatever - it's all about the fineness of the grind/water to grind ratio. I buy $4 (Canadian) packs of Italian espresso and throw that in my bodum. My body is a constant power struggle between caffeine, nicotine, and THC
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm

double, why can't I delete posts!?
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm
double, why can't I delete posts!?
I blame the caffeine.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Firebender wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:24 am
It’s another solid season that doesn’t do too much outside the norm until the finale, and oh boy is that finale possibly game changing for the show.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 am

It’s funny because in America CraveTV Original Series “LetterKenny” is on YouTube.
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:15 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:16 pm
I drink a loooot of coffee, freggin "strong coffee" is a scam it's not like you can magically infuse coffee beans with more caffeine or whatever - it's all about the fineness of the grind/water to grind ratio. I buy $4 (Canadian) packs of Italian espresso and throw that in my bodum. My body is a constant power struggle between caffeine, nicotine, and THC
Same! It's all about keeping the right levels of each one!
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Ugh, now you "people" got me re-watching It's Always Sunny. Now I'll never know about Nick adn Jess...
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm
Ugh, now you "people" got me re-watching It's Always Sunny. Now I'll never know about Nick adn Jess...
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 am
This reminds me of a great episode of New Girl :(
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:22 am

Obscure wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am
This reminds me of a great episode of New Girl :(
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:33 am

Obscure wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm
You’ll thank us later
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 am

Haters...

A fanboy knows a hater!!!
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 am

Obscure wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 am
Haters...