The YMCA Club

Discuss anything you want.

Which social thread has the worst group of people?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 am

hamsterdam
50%
m&m
50%

Total votes: 22
MadMan

Re: The YMCA Club

Post by MadMan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 am
I'd be up for that!Thanks, man; things were actually really slow at my store last Saturday, but that might just be because the initial wave of panic-buying ran its course earlier, and there haven't been any cases reported originating in this county (yet); I'd hate to see what things would be like if that happened. The good news is, it's sort of an "essential" business, so it's less likely to get shut down (and costing me my job in the process), but that also means that I have to keep showing up for work, pretending everything's normal while I live in dread of catching it from one of the dozens of people I come into close proximity every day, and end up spreading it to my family, so it's a pretty big Catch-22 for me : /
Yeah retail is crazy right now. I am more worried about giving someone I love coronavirus than I am of catching it if that makes sense. Also I have never answered so many questions about toilet paper in my life.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm hoping the worst that comes of this (for me and my circle of friends and family) is a lot of boredom for the next few months. blessed boredom.

also, what is the Film Society?
Film Society was when we would get together and watch a movie via group chat. Usually it would be a craptastic type flick, one you could make good jokes about. Firebender started it if I recall correctly-it was an RT thing.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Discord and the film society sounds like fun, also ain't there means of converting Netflix into group chat? Lots of wonderful trash there
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 pm
Discord and the film society sounds like fun, also ain't there means of converting Netflix into group chat? Lots of wonderful trash there
I could have sworn Netflix has a group watch feature but maybe I am wrong.
Shitty Film Thread
kgaard.

Post by kgaard. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 am

Apparently there is a Chrome extension called Netflix Party. (Not an endorsement--I've never used it myself)
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:21 pm

Shirley from Community is sharing images photoshopped by 4Chan Nazis. Dumbest timeline
The Guy in the Trenchcoat

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:55 am

Hey guys, hope you're all well. If we do film society, I nominate Amityville 6: It's About Time.

Yvette Nicole Brown is doing what now?
BL Sometimes

Post by BL Sometimes » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am

The Guy in the Trenchcoat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:55 am
Hey guys, hope you're all well. If we do film society, I nominate Amityville 6: It's About Time.
If we're going Amityville, Part 4: The Evil Escapes is the clear star for Film Society treatment. It has an evil floor lamp, that ridiculous chainsaw scene, Patty Duke and perhaps the most insane final shot in cinema history.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:26 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:21 pm
Shirley from Community is sharing images photoshopped by 4Chan Nazis. Dumbest timeline
Link? If so that's too bad.
Shitty Film Thread
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 am

BL Sometimes wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am
If we're going Amityville, Part 4: The Evil Escapes is the clear star for Film Society treatment. It has an evil floor lamp, that ridiculous chainsaw scene, Patty Duke and perhaps the most insane final shot in cinema history.
I have heard of that movie. Sounds good to me haha.
Shitty Film Thread

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:46 am

BL Sometimes wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am
That does sound good. For it's part, six has very minimal connection to the rest of the films, an evil clock, Stephen Macht and just about the best final line ever. I saw it in a marathon and my theater burst into laughter.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 pm

statistically I am unlikely to be affected by the covid virus (health-wise). all of the high-risk people in my life are taking it seriously and are well taken care of.

it is still incredibly bleak to hear 100k-200k dead as a best-case scenario and the US is not far off from a 1k-a-day death rate (set to peak at 3k). hope everyone is preparing themselves.
Evil

Post by Evil » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Who could refrain, that had a heart to love, and in that heart, courage to make love known?

Man, Fassbender is so good. And Shakespeare I guess too.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:56 am

I unfollowed YNB after finding that shitty post she made that Smoke Bomb mentioned. It was the final straw.
Shitty Film Thread
Evil

Post by Evil » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 am

You know what happens to motherfuckers that carry a knife? They get shot.
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:22 am

Evil, will the borders be open by June? Asking for a friend to wants to go to Montana.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 am

Kayden Kross wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:22 am
Evil, will the borders be open by June? Asking for a friend to wants to go to Montana.
RIP, Captain Borodin!
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm

No, you are not allowed in Montana.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Evil wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 am
You know what happens to motherfuckers that carry a knife? They get shot.
Yeah, had that conversation with my mom last week, "hey, so, society's collapsing and all I have to defend me and my own with is a knife"
Evil

Post by Evil » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Kayden Kross wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:22 am
I'm guessing no.
BL Sometimes

Post by BL Sometimes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:17 pm

I stocked up on grain alcohol a couple months back, and now it's selling for $50 a liter on Drizly because people are using it to make homemade hand sanitizer. So who's the drunken idiot now?
Evil

Post by Evil » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:57 pm

What are you using your grain alcohol for? Punches, infusions? We just use vodka for our infusions. I have some 151 dark rum, but that actually has you know ... flavor.
BL Sometimes

Post by BL Sometimes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:26 pm

Evil wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:57 pm
What are you using your grain alcohol for? Punches, infusions? We just use vodka for our infusions. I have some 151 dark rum, but that actually has you know ... flavor.
Limoncello is my go-to. The benefit with grain alcohol over vodka is that the alcohol level is high enough that you can make genuine liqueurs because you can dilute it much more with water and sugar. There's also a moonshine recipe that's supposed to taste like an Orange Dreamsicle that I want to try out. But I also have aloe plants, so I can make hand sanitizer if things get desperate. So far, my new apartment building still has been refilling the Purell station in the lobby, but who knows how long that lasts.
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:37 am

That Trump press conference today was one of the scariest things I’ve ever watched, and I’ve watched a horror movie recommended by Evil.

Community is on Canada Netflix now eh 🇨🇦

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:11 am

Obscure wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:37 am
That Trump press conference today was one of the scariest things I’ve ever watched, and I’ve watched a horror movie recommended by Evil.

Community is on Canada Netflix now eh 🇨🇦
Which one? They're all terrifying.

Patriot is great if it's on your Amazon prime. They really let it die. I didn't even know it was a comedy until Paul F Tompkins told me.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:42 am

Yeah Trump's conferences are a mixture of stupidity and more stupidity with pathetic ego boosts. The Dems want mush brained Biden to run against him. The US is beyond fucked, I want to leave.
Shitty Film Thread
BL Sometimes

Post by BL Sometimes » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 pm

MadMan wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:42 am
Yeah Trump's conferences are a mixture of stupidity and more stupidity with pathetic ego boosts. The Dems want mush brained Biden to run against him. The US is beyond fucked, I want to leave.
Biden still has to pick his VP, and I think that's going to be a crucial decision this time, given how enfeebled Biden has looked so far. We're going to need to see something like a repeat of the Bush-Cheney alliance, where the gaffe-spewing glad-hander gets the job of president in title but a shrewd executive actually wields power from the No. 2 position. Only I think this arrangement would need to be more transparent to reassure voters. Also, less evil.