Maiden's Voyage

Discuss anything you want.
Shieldmaiden

Re: Maiden's Voyage

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 am

Macrology wrote:The Overcoat, to the best of my knowledge, is still in production. It's actually the longest running production in cinema history at this point. God willing, he'll finish it before he dies.
So weird! Nineteen people on IMDb claim to have seen it, haha.

When this documentary comes out, maybe we'll find out what's going on.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 am

I think he has screened what he has completed of the film at different junctures in time, so they may be referring to that. Or, while it's almost inconceivable, someone on the internet may have lied about something.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:58 am

Macrology wrote:Or, while it's almost inconceivable, someone on the internet may have lied about something.
Haha!

:)
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Burning

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Image Image

Just got done watching Chang-dong Lee's Burning! Something tells me this may be the kind of movie I need to mull over before writing about it, but I'm going to give it a try, anyway, while I'm filled with enthusiasm. This may be my favorite Lee (over Secret Sunshine). It certainly belongs on my Korean favorites list, along with The Handmaiden and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

From my small sample (of five) films from Lee, I'd say I prefer his adapted screenplays. They're less schematic, more messy/complex. And here he's adapted a story by a master and one of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami. The short story (which is terrific, by the way) is more ambiguous; Lee spells things out with the kitchen conversation about metaphor. But it's the rest of what he adds that makes this so great. He introduces pathos with a second critical metaphor by Hae-mi, who comes into sharp focus here despite the main character's almost willful blindness (both here and in the book). And he cranks up the suspense (nonexistent in the story) to an unbearably mournful, even hopeless pitch. The social critique reminds me of Sono's Guilty of Romance. Of course, Sono's warnings are to do with sex and Lee's with debt, but both warn of the dangers facing young women who are viewed as expendable. Still, this one offers a small gesture of hope, a catharsis of awakening, that Sono's film never had. So I'm going to add it to my angry optimism list as well.

Image Image

djerdap

Post by djerdap » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Loved Burning. I thought Lee captured the melancholy and alienation of Murakami's characters perfectly (I had also caught some motifs from The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as well, such as enigmatic cats and wells), and the suffocating atmosphere certainly emulated some of the writer's best work. Lee's choices in the third act - which go thematically and psychologically way beyond what was only hinted at in the short story - release the pressure that was relentlessly building for the first two hours. And how about that use of Miles Davis.

It's also important to note that the father subplot is heavily inspired by Faulkner's Barn Burning. The way Lee combines the themes of the two stories seems effortless in its execution.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I noticed the well and the cat and Miles Davis. Did you notice the brief mention of pasta?

But, great catch on the Faulkner story! It really does elegantly blend the two stories—wow!! I called this movie literary based on the metaphor motif, but it’s quite a bit more than that. Forget my blather about adaptations above, I’m guessing his co-writer has a lot to do with the particularly bookish (and I mean that in the best way) nature of this one:

https://www.asiapacificscreenawards.com ... oh-jung-mi

I can’t wait to see their future collaborations!

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Bruno Ganz

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:05 pm

1941-2019
Bruno Ganz has been one of my favorites for a very long time. I’ve seen him in at least thirteen films that span his career, from Rohmer’s The Marquise of O to Potter’s The Party. Of course I’m nowhere near completing his extensive filmography. (He'd made seven in just the past two years!) But here are four that were already on my list that I’ll watch in his honor:

Circle of Deceit (This one's in wig's New German Cinema thread.)
Faraway, So Close!
Youth Without Youth
The Dust of Time

If you have a recommendation, I'll do my best to get ahold of it:

The Counselor

Watching the Wenders sequel has made me realize I don't remember the first movie at all. So there will be at least one rewatch:

Wings of Desire

Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm

I feel like you've probably seen The American Friend, but if not, that's an interesting one.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Macrology wrote:I feel like you've probably seen The American Friend, but if not, that's an interesting one.
Yes, I love that one! He and Hopper seemed to have such a good time together. :)

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 pm

The Last Days of Chez Nous could be worth your time (there's n way you're not at least already aware of Eternity and a Day).

and yeah, crappy news. I'm glad he was able to stay so busy during his final years but still....
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Youth Without Youth
I really like this film, but it has a very sketchy critical reputation.

For other recs, I assume everyone here has seen Wings of Desire. The Last Days of Chez Nous is very good. Herzog's Nosferatu has Ganz opposite Kinski. Another critical flop that I will tirelessly champion is The Counselor, and Ganz carries an essential scene early in the film. The director's cut doubles and enhances this scene, and is the mandatory version to watch.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am

I've seen everything mentioned here except The Counselor. I didn't even know he was in that one!

First up is The Dust of Time.

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Bruno Ganz

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 am

The Dust of Time, Theodoros Angelopoulos
First in my Bruno Ganz series is one I've wanted to see for years. I loved The Weeping Meadow for its perfect evocation of what I call mournful nostalgia, so I was eager to see the next in the series. But, sadly, it lacks the poetry of the first one. And, while everyone in this movie is talking about longing for an impossible past, it's not something that we feel. Also, why on earth is the character Spyros played the majority of the time by a stand-in who can't show his face? What casting nightmare plagued this production? Ganz does his best, but he has a somewhat thankless role as the losing side of an awkward love triangle. Disappointing.

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: More Bruno Ganz

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 am

Image Image
Image Image
Youth Without Youth, Francis Ford Coppola
The next in my Bruno Ganz series, this is the first film I've seen from Coppola since the turn of the century. Has he somehow become Raoul Ruiz? This is a far cry from The Rainmaker. I didn't always know what was going on here, but there was romance, beauty, philosophy, mystery, sci-fi, Nazis, the supernatural – and nostalgia to spare! So many delicious ingredients poured into two hours, that I simply relaxed and let it wash over me. Ganz gets a great role this time, as a kindly, intelligent doctor who goes to great lengths to help his most remarkable patient.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:47 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Youth Without Youth, Francis Ford Coppola
Has he somehow become Raoul Ruiz? This is a far cry from The Rainmaker. I didn't always know what was going on here, but there was romance, beauty, philosophy, mystery, sci-fi, Nazis, the supernatural – and nostalgia to spare! So many delicious ingredients poured into two hours, that I simply relaxed and let it wash over me.
The film doesn't lack for ambition, but I don't find it as muddled as many critics. Or rather I find the film's convolutions of language and the subconscious to be fascinating. I think that it's a brave return to form for Coppola since at least the visual splendor or Dracula and his other unwieldy but evocative work.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:02 am

Jinnistan wrote:Or rather I find the film's convolutions of language and the subconscious to be fascinating.
This!

The only thing that confused me was the double; I'm still not sure what that was. But I love ancient languages, and would have watched twice as much of her nighttime ravings. Though I see why they had to stop before they got to the last level, haha!

How does his style here compare to his other recent stuff (Twixt and Tetro)?

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:How does his style here compare to his other recent stuff (Twixt and Tetro)?
What's been most refreshing about Coppola's "comeback" is his appetite for experimentation, and all three films are stylistically distinct from each other. Youth is the best of them, imo. Tetro has a B&W indie vibe which also recalls Kazan at times. Twixt is a goofy farce, very silly and a little cheap-looking (shot on digital), but fun if you get the joke early on. None of them have too much in common with his earlier output other than some dependable deep focus compositions and wipe pans. It feels like he's still pushing to find a new way of narrative storytelling, not always successfully, but certainly not resting on his legacy either.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:53 am

Jinnistan wrote: It feels like he's still pushing to find a new way of narrative storytelling, not always successfully, but certainly not resting on his legacy either.
Yes, it's much more interesting than I expected! Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to get to Twixt and Tetro eventually. Youth Without Youth was so good!

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Still Bruno Ganz

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:53 am

Putting a link here to my latest Bruno Ganz viewing:

Circle of Deceit, Volker Schlöndorff

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Yep, it's Bruno

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 am

Image Image

I got a little way into Faraway, So Close! and realized I remembered very little about Wings of Desire. So I had a Wim Wenders double feature! Wings (pictured above) is really the ultimate Bruno Ganz film. He fills the screen with sweetness, compassion, child-like wonder, hopeless love, and the excitement of brand new sensations. He's lovely, and the movie's fine. But Faraway (pictured below) was a real surprise. Maybe I'm just being contrary, since I know the first film is the classic everyone loves, but I like the sequel more. Sure, it's lighthearted, even silly, with its bumbling protagonist and goofy heist plot. But, the cast have grown comfortable in their roles, the narration is more resonant (and happily less poetic), and, in the end, I think it's more honest about the pain of life and memory and regret. Plus, the music is better! Definitely one of my favorites from Wenders.

Image Image
Image Image

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm

I need a little advice. I just realized that Faraway, So Close! is the most recent thing I've seen by Wim Wenders. In fact, I was shocked to see that he's made 10 non-documentary features since! I think the last one I heard anything about was The Million Dollar Hotel. Has anyone here seen any of these? Do you have any recommendations?

Submergence
The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez
Everything Will Be Fine
Palermo Shooting
Don’t Come Knocking
Land of Plenty
The Million Dollar Hotel
The End of Violence
Die Gebruder Skladanowsky
Lisbon Story

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:27 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Has anyone here seen any of these?
Only a couple :(
Shieldmaiden wrote:Don’t Come Knocking
Slight Sam Shepard story, expect no Paris, Texas here, or even Altman's Fool For Love. This one is pretty pedestrian and forgettable, imo.
Shieldmaiden wrote:The Million Dollar Hotel
I remember very little about it, a few faces but none of their stories.
Shieldmaiden wrote:The End of Violence
I liked this one a bit, an intriguing take on surveillance and panopticism, but it's also bloated and in need of a decent edit. It's similar to my impression of Until the End of the World when I first watched the theatrical cut. I'm not sure if there's a DC of Violence waiting around somewhere, but I would welcome it.

Also, not mentioned is his collaboration with Antonioni, Beyond the Clouds, which might at first look like an artier Red Shoe Diary, but is actually a very effective erotic drama. It's really more of an Antonioni film than Wenders, but worth seeking out.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 am

Jinnistan wrote:I liked this one a bit, an intriguing take on surveillance and panopticism, but it's also bloated and in need of a decent edit. It's similar to my impression of Until the End of the World when I first watched the theatrical cut. I'm not sure if there's a DC of Violence waiting around somewhere, but I would welcome it.

Also, not mentioned is his collaboration with Antonioni, Beyond the Clouds, which might at first look like an artier Red Shoe Diary, but is actually a very effective erotic drama. It's really more of an Antonioni film than Wenders, but worth seeking out.
Cool. I'll check out The End of Violence and Beyond the Clouds, then. Thanks!

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:15 am

The Counselor, Ridley Scott
Wow, the writing in this! I can't think of a non-Shakespeare film where the words (monologues, even) are so obviously its raison d'être. I might almost have preferred reading it, but then I wouldn't have been able to enjoy that very entertaining Javier Bardem performance. Good movie!

And, that wraps up my Bruno Ganz project.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 am

And Ganz gets such a richly written scene:

"This is a cynical business, we seek only imperfection."

"To enhance the beauty of the beloved is to acknowledge both her frailty and the nobility of that frailty. At our noblest, we announce to the darkness that we will not be diminished by the brevity of our lives."

"Everything bears a strange familiarity. But the fit is always poor and the hands are always bloody."

It would have been a wonderful Cormac McCarthy book, but I think it's fine enough as a film.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Yeah, that scene was fascinating. And foreboding. Good use of Ganz. :)

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: New and improved Korean top ten

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Image Image

In the last couple months I’ve been on a quest to catch up on some of the Korean films on my to-see list and to find actual female voices in the industry, if possible. Since the first of the year I’ve watched 12 Korean films, four of which are by women. Now it’s time for a long overdue revamp of my favorite Korean films list from 2012. Without further ado:
  • Lady Vengeance is still my number one. I haven't seen the rest of Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy, but I've never experienced catharsis on screen like I do watching this. I doubt I'd reap the same benefits (or love the main character nearly so much) if this were simply a tale of victimhood and revenge. Instead, the focus is on her fraught inner history – her struggle with guilt and the question of whether redemption is ever truly possible.

Chang-dong Lee has always been exceptionally attuned to his female characters even when they're not his main focus. In Burning, he shows us a woman off center (off-screen even), only as she's seen by others, yet filling the emotional center in a way that creeps up on you. This is Lee's first screenplay collaboration (with Jungmi Oh), and it's a beautifully layered, literary work, and a stunning film. I wrote more about this one here.

Woman on the Beach is the film that sold me on Sang-soo Hong. Here he trades in his usual sad-sack male filmmaker protagonist for the girlfriend of a sad-sack male filmmaker. Mun-sook is flawed and difficult, but extremely likeable, and she makes the film's bittersweet take on relationships likeable too. Read more here.

There's no arguing that Bad Guy is a difficult film. I'm not a fan of Ki-duk Kim at all, even (especially) in his better known films. But once I looked at this one as a twisted fairy tale, rather than a literal saga of human trafficking, I found it tapped into something deep inside me. I make another attempt to explain this here.

I’m a sucker for 'sad child' movies and A Brand New Life is a perfect example, with extra points for avoiding stereotypes and melodrama. It's a simple, exquisitely detailed portrayal of a child's inner life in a time of crisis. Sure, director Ounie Lecomte has the advantage of being that now-grown-up child; but she gets all the credit for the steady, gentle hand with which she pulls us into her world. (Pictured below.)

On the Beach at Night Alone (pictured above) is thematically very similar to that other beach-y Hong above, in that he tells the story from the woman’s perspective, giving her a voice and catharsis, though it means showing himself* in a (somewhat) bad light. There's a relaxed quality to this one, somewhat surprising given that he's kicked his usual autobiographical elements up a few notches. Maybe the secret is actress Min-hee Kim? He's (apparently) found a face he never tires of filming, and can you really blame him? (Thanks to wigwam for the recommendation!)
    *Yes, it’s fictional and filtered and ambiguous. Still.

Chan-ok Park won prizes for Jealousy Is My Middle Name, but I hadn't heard of her till now. Obviously influenced by mentor Sang-soo Hong, she has a unique sense of humor and an easy energy that make the film both sweet and ruthless, like its heart-sick protagonist. I wrote a bit more about this one here.

Joon-ho Bong is famous for Memories of Murder and The Host, and I had a lot of fun with Snowpiercer. But it's this early silly comedy that wins my heart. Barking Dogs Never Bite is a small perfect film, with an unexpected mix of everyday ennui, a little bit of horror, and some very funny (and very dark) situational comedy.

I forgot to mention that the film above stars the amazing Doona Bae. Here she is again in A Girl at My Door, playing a tough cop who can’t help but get involved when she sees child abuse next door. Her steely performance is a perfect match for writer/director July Jung who presents her complex female characters in all their flaws and ambiguity.

Another by Chan-wook Park, I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK is a kalaidoscopic screwball romance set in a psychiatric hospital. Some people are uneasy with his mix of very serious topics and silly comedy, but I the way events get distorted through the lens of illness without ever losing sight of what’s at stake. Some pictures of this one here.
Image Image
Scroll for more
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Image Image

Though I ran out of room in the top 10 above, I want to share a couple more highlights from my recent viewing:
  • The King and the Clown (pictured above) is a historical soap opera about two traveling clowns and the king they lampoon. It's an entertaining patchwork of friendship and political intrigue and crude jokes; and, in the end, it's a paean to the virtues of performance.

Paju, by the director of Jealousy Is My Middle Name, has been extremely ill-served by its marketing. It’s not a steamy love-triangle thriller but a tragic family drama of misunderstandings and regret, more in line with her previous film, though without the dark comic edge.

By the director of the better known Spider Forest, Magicians (pictured below) is a creative one-take film about a band revisiting their sad past together. Kinetic and colorful and bittersweet.
Image Image

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Guess we lost our Korean film fans, too? Well, if you're ever interested in a primer, Jedi had a classic thread with lots of info: An A to Z of Contemporary Korean Cinema.

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Guess we lost our Korean film fans, too?
I've seen a few of those, but not recently enough to have anything substantial to add.
(Vengeance Trilogy / Barking Dogs / Cyborg / King & Clown)
Shieldmaiden wrote: I'm not a fan of Ki-duk Kim at all, even (especially) in his better known films.
Can you elaborate on this? I haven't seen anything yet, but he's been on my radar for a few years.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Can you elaborate on this? I haven't seen anything yet, but he's been on my radar for a few years.
I don't think you have to worry. I have notoriously unpredictable reactions to extreme movie violence. And Kim gets on my nerves with a special sort of twisted-joke violence. Critics raved about Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, but I felt like the ending was a sick joke. Ditto for 3-Iron. It depends, though. Obviously I loved Bad Guy, and Time is pretty much the ultimate sick-joke punchline, yet it made me laugh! You'll have to see for yourself. :)

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:37 am

Shieldmaiden wrote: a special sort of twisted-joke violence.
Ugh, I'm not great with that sort of thing. I don't remember how he came to my attention but I'm pretty sure it was because I read something regarding Bad Guy, so maybe I'll go with that one first.
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:47 pm

The King and the Clown was a minor hit in Thailand. I remember it being pretty fun and fascinating, and I can't ever forget its soul-stirring last scene.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm

What's the name of the film in which the grandmother is reincarnated as a rapping salamander? Liked that one a lot, pretty sure it's from Thailand. I think I watched it at the same time as Barking Dogs, because my brain always combines the two.
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:04 pm

I was going to google it then an image came back to me (if it's this film, it contains so many indelible images); is it Citizen Dog? Though it's more of a small lizard (common in Thai houses) than salamander.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:08 pm

wichares wrote:I was going to google it then an image came back to me (if it's this film, it contains so many indelible images); is it Citizen Dog? Though it's more of a small lizard (common in Thai houses) than salamander.
YES, thank you. Now I know why I confuse the two. That rap is one of my favorite things ever.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45 pm

wichares wrote:The King and the Clown was a minor hit in Thailand. I remember it being pretty fun and fascinating, and I can't ever forget its soul-stirring last scene.
Yes! It's a wonderful ending.
wichares wrote:is it Citizen Dog?
Oh, wow. I barely remember that one. Maybe it's time to revisit.

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Jealousy Is My Middle Name

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:15 am

Image Image

Jealousy Is My Middle Name is a comedy of manners with a dark edge. Director Chan-ok Park has a way with awkward encounters and inner frustration. Her baby-faced protagonist lays plans for a very cold revenge, apparently unmoved by the fact that he genuinely likes his target. There's a perfect moment when, as the the tune "My Darling Clementine" is played on the piano, the camera slowly circles him, briefly interrupted by the opening move in his long-term chess plan, then circling again. So neatly done! Besides the sharp humor of framing and posture, the film's strength lies in complex characters. The overweening boss turns out to be a charismatic fellow who's hard to resist. The women who (mostly) get in our hero's way are far from caricatures, threatening even to take center stage. We leave him in medias res; and, while I hope his ruthless plans fail in the face of his essential sweetness, I have to admit it would be funnier if they don't.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:59 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Guess we lost our Korean film fans, too?
I guess this should be the motivation I need to watch this copy of Peppermint Candy sitting in front of me?
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Jinnistan wrote: I guess this should be the motivation I need to watch this copy of Peppermint Candy sitting in front of me?
Motivation is this thread's purpose!

And, seriously, yes! I saw that one not long ago and it's good.

wigwam

Re: Maiden's Voyage: New and improved Korean top ten

Post by wigwam » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Image

On the Beach at Night Alone (pictured above) is thematically very similar to that other beach-y Hong above, in that he tells the story from the woman’s perspective, giving her a voice and catharsis, though it means showing himself* in a (somewhat) bad light. There's a relaxed quality to this one, somewhat surprising given that he's kicked his usual autobiographical elements up a few notches. Maybe the secret is actress Min-hee Kim? He's (apparently) found a face he never tires of filming, and can you really blame him? (Thanks to wigwam for the recommendation!)
*Yes, it’s fictional and filtered and ambiguous. Still.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

I think I watched Bad Guy and didnt get it but it seems so cool, should rewatch

Korean cinema's non-Hong apex is still Werewolf Boy tho

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:15 am

wigwam wrote: :heart: :heart: :heart:
You're two for two now on Hong recs. What should I see next? (What I've seen.)

Bad Guy is so weird and disturbing, I can't blame anyone for not liking it.

wigwam

Post by wigwam » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:(What I've seen.)
I can't get this link to work but adding those two to your earlier list:

Claire's Camera
Woman on the Beach at Night Alone
Nobody’s Daughter
In Another Country
The Day He Arrives
Hahaha
Woman on the Beach
Woman Is the Future of Man
Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors
The Power of Kangwon Province
The Day a Pig Fell into the Well

all the recent ones w/ Kim Min-hee are next level so def Right Now Wrong Then and Day After asap, then of the earlier ones Tale of Cinema is on the same masterpiece level as Woman on the Beach, Day He Arrives, and Nobodys Daughter - the rest kinda run together for me and arent amazing but are all good too - idk if theres a bad Hong? - and also looks like Night and Day is on Amazon and I recall liking it but I love when he's in France I think it might be less regarded than the others but who cares?
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Fixed the link.

And, cool, thanks! I'll work on those.

Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Women of 2018

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Image Image
So far I've watched 26 films by female directors for 2018 – my best year yet! And I know I say this every time, but this is a really strong group overall. (You can see the list I was working from here.) There are no legends this time (no Varda or Akerman, sigh). In fact, four of my top ten are feature debuts. To my chagrin, this is my first experience with five of the other six! (Yes, I know LEAVES told us to watch Rohrwacher, but I was lazy and I don't like bees, haha.) So Martel is the only one I've followed throughout her career. I'll definitely have to catch up with the others soon.

Here are the lists for 2017 and 2016.

Women of 2018

I already wrote about Zama here, so I'll just say that Lucrecia Martel is at the top of her very polished game. This is a haunting, atmospheric film shot through with absurdity and pathos – a perfect film in my book.

Lazzaro felice (pictured above) is the best movie (by any director) I've seen since Zama. I think I may love it more than that one, despite its second place on this list. I didn't know what to expect, so I was astonished by its warmth and transcendence. (For that reason, I'm being very careful not to say too much. Though if you want to have a discussion in spoiler tags, I'm always up for that!) It's filmed to look like something old and treasured, an oft-read book, maybe, or an heirloom music-box, ha. In that, it's well served by the open, timeless face of non-actor Tardiolo. Alice Rohrwacher boldly mixes ethnography, current events, and hagiography (the Catholic kind) to get something completely unique and mythic. People are constantly disappointing in this fable, but there's hope in it, too. This one definitely belongs on my angry optimism list. More pics here.

I Am Not a Witch (pictured immediately below) is another fable with an timeless feel. Born in Zambia but raised in Wales, Rungano Nyoni went back to Africa for her first feature, discovering a young, first-time actress with a wonderful face for the title role. This is a beautiful film about terrible things, exaggerated (but not too much) for effect. (The tourism, especially, feels depressingly real.) The film reminds me of the Sembene of Xala, as the mix of folklore and biting satire gives us just enough distance to make the tragedy bearable.

Image Image

Speaking of child actors, for Capernaum, Nadine Labaki found an amazing child actor who carries the whole film with a strenuous physical and emotional performance. This is a film about horrors, but we (though older and more cynical) hold onto hope simply because our young protagonist does. I can't emphasize enough how great this kid is!

Western is a clever film about communication using language and culture differences from Germany's Valeska Grisebach. I wrote a little more about it here.

Another film about young children in distress, Summer 1993 is Carla Simón's lovely and poignant directorial debut about her own childhood struggle with grief. I wrote more about this one here.

Free SoloElizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin and are a twist on the traditional husband-wife team, with the the woman behind the camera and the man in front. (Though obviously the difficult logistics were crucial behind-the-scenes work as well, and they both did that.) The filmmakers were extremely lucky in their subject; Honnold is an fascinating, articulate character, making the lead up (almost) as entertaining as his breathtaking climb.

Eva Vives brings us a cleverly written spin on the romantic comedy. All About Nina takes the personal flaw trope and makes it the center of a psychologically authentic struggle with trauma. Add particularly strong performances by Winstead and Common, and you have a very impressive first feature!

Ava is the story of a serious, studious girl in Iran whose relationship with her mother is miserable, nonetheless. In her feature debut, Sadaf Foroughi ramps up the tension to show how high the stakes are for even the slightest rebellion, while a gut-punch moment near the end makes the mother's point of view horribly understandable.

Madeline’s Madeline (pictured below) is about another teenager/mother dynamic, this time complicated by a mentor who eagerly accepts the role of mother figure, and made visceral with a roving, agitated camera. More radically, Josephine Decker plays with her own filmmaking process – a workshop where improvisation overlaps with the actress's real life – to give an uncomfortable and intense edge to the screen relationships.

Image Image

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:08 am

Almost forgot to post these extra pics of Lazzaro. Because it's beautiful and you should watch it asap!!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Great list, SM! Lazzaro felice never popped up on my radar, so I'm glad you brought it to my attention.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Oh, good! I feel really fervent about those first three, so I hope I'm persuasive. :)