Maiden's Voyage

Discuss anything you want.
Macrology

Re: Maiden's Voyage

Post by Macrology » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Wonderful list. Only Angels Have Wings is my favorite Hawks, and Young Mr. Lincoln is one of my favorite Fords (not to mention the other great films on there).

I haven't seen Diop's Atlantics yet, but I recently watched her short films after hearing about her and learning that she's the other Diop's niece. None of them left a huge impression -- they felt like very assured student films -- but her short film called Atlantics is easily the one that had the most promise. I'll make a point of seeing the feature.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Macrology wrote:I haven't seen Diop's Atlantics yet, but I recently watched her short films after hearing about her and learning that she's the other Diop's niece.
I only know her from 35 Rhums. I certainly felt a Denis influence in this, even a deliberate allusion or two.

Captain Terror wrote:I find the character of Yvonne interesting because she takes matters into her own hands. The role of the woman in 30s horror was to be kidnapped and scream until rescued, or have her will taken from her (Dracula/White Zombie) and then be kidnapped. But in Mad Love it's the husband that has been rendered useless, meaning the wife has to save the husband for a change. She's not kidnapped by "the monster", she deliberately goes to his house to confront him.
Yes, she's technically rescued by men at the end but given that this was 1935 I still think it's pretty progressive. Baby steps.

Agreed! Also, the means of that rescue is so satisfying. :)
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Been a while since you've posted, but if you check in anytime soon, I posted about a film in the Recently Seen thread, which you can see here: Wild Dog Dingo.

I'm not sure what you'll think of it, but I'm very curious to hear your opinion.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:11 am

Hey, Mac -- I already saw your write-up and put it on my list! As you probably suspected, the screenshots did it. :)

Macrology wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:20 pm
I'm not sure what you'll think of it, but I'm very curious to hear your opinion.
I'll watch it soon and let you know.