Maiden's Voyage

Discuss anything you want.
Macrology

Re: Maiden's Voyage

Post by Macrology » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm

I've also thought of adapting my Louisiana thread to blog form, but so far have lacked the initiative to actually do it. I'll definitely keep tabs on yours!
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:36 pm

Nice blog! I've thought of making one. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough. I already have a RT and an IMDb account, so I might just keep it to them for now.

On a side note, your Vertigo review is mislabeled as Rear Window.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Stu wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:52 pm
Followed 8-)
Thanks, but you might regret that, since I have about a 100 posts to cut and paste before I'm caught up.

Macrology wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm
I've also thought of adapting my Louisiana thread to blog form, but so far have lacked the initiative to actually do it. I'll definitely keep tabs on yours!
Ooh, that would be a good blog. Let me know if you do it!

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:36 pm
Nice blog! I've thought of making one. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough. I already have a RT and an IMDb account, so I might just keep it to them for now.

On a side note, your Vertigo review is mislabeled as Rear Window.
Thank you! And whoooops! Good catch. <3
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm
Thanks, but you might regret that, since I have about a 100 posts to cut and paste before I'm caught up.
Nah, I don't follow that many blogs on Wordpress as it is anyway, so I'm not concerned about your's accidentally dominating my feed there or anything; I just want some substantive new content to read anywhere I can get it online, y'know? At any rate, keep up the good work, Maiden!
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Last night I watched a Czech film, The Golden Fern, and it struck me as something that might appeal to you, Maiden. It's directed by Jiri Weiss, who also made Romeo, Juliet, and Darkness, but this one is a totally different beast.

Some other Czech directors show a similar breadth of interest. Jaromil Jireš comes to mind, and his films The Joke and Valerie and her Week of Wonders echo the relationship between Weiss's films: one is a tragedy about contemporary (or near contemporary) political terror, the other a fairy tale reverie.

But if Valerie and her Week of Wonders is ultimately optimistic, despite its Gothic trappings, The Golden Fern is harsher, sparser, more melancholy. The story has a fairy tale simplicity, but it carries some surprising emotional weight, and the photography is stunning.

This fan cut trailer gives you an idea:

Startlingly, aside from its IMDB entry, I couldn't find any substantial info about it online. Nary a blog post.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:18 am

This looks intriguing. I'll watch it soon! (We'll see about the blog post, haha.)
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:30 am

Heh, I didn't mean to suggest that you needed to fill that void, I was just struck by the general lack of info/commentary on it, considering how much I enjoyed it.

I'm curious to hear what someone else thinks about it, because it really struck home with me. Some of the few reviews I've seen (on Letterboxd, for instance) are pretty tepid -- though there is a charmingly enthusiastic one on IMDB in very broken English. But it's a peculiar film, so I guess it wouldn't necessarily work for a lot of people.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm

I’m not a Tarantino fan. In fact, I haven’t seen any of his movies since Pulp Fiction. I guess you could say that means I might be a Tarantino fan if I gave him a chance, but I doubt it. Or, that’s what I would have said last week. I might have been wrong!

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is an ambitious, nostalgic, affectionate homage to Hollywood’s past. It’s provocative, playful, irreverent, and sympathetic. It's an insightful tribute to the actors and crew who make the magic. And that’s just the first two hours! Then the final set piece starts and we learn that, behind the brash comedy, it’s all about loss and longing – with a piercing mournful nostalgia that hits deep and lingers long after we leave the theater. I'll definitely watch it again.

My audience was mostly 70-plus-year-old women and 20-something guys, and everyone seemed to leave satisfied. (That can't be Tarantino's usual base, can it?) Anyway, this one is quite an accomplishment, and I’m very glad I gave it a chance!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I saw OUATIH recently and I really enjoyed it. While I initially thought that Dalton's arc could have had a bit more focus, I also felt like the time devoted to his personal struggle was enough to get me to root for and care about him and I didn't feel like including more scenes of him would've impacted the film greatly enough to warrant this change. I also felt like decreasing screentime from other characters in service of Dalton could have resulted in other effective moments being cut or tampered with such as Booth's trip to Spahn's Ranch and Tate watching one of her films in the theater (which I really liked for a reason I can't articulate). I'd say the screentime of these characters were balanced out just fine. In addition, I also liked the period details and I thought DiCaprio and Pitt gave fine performances. I imagine I'll like it more once I watch it again.

As for the ending,
I'd argue it was better than the ending of Inglourious Basterds, because while both scenes felt like over-the-top escapist fantasies that the real world doesn't allow you to experience, the historical liberties in this film also served to provide a conclusion for Dalton's character arc. If Tate had been murdered, Dalton's future career would've been left uncertain, but since the Manson Family was killed instead, Dalton's outcome was ultimately optimistic.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I also felt like decreasing screentime from other characters in service of Dalton could have resulted in other effective moments being cut or tampered with such as Booth's trip to Spahn's Ranch and Tate watching one of her films in the theater (which I really liked for a reason I can't articulate). I'd say the screentime of these characters were balanced out just fine.
Yeah, that stretch in the middle that cuts among the three of them (Cliff at the ranch, Rick's pilot shoot, and Sharon in the theater) is perfect!
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 am
Yeah, that stretch in the middle that cuts among the three of them (Cliff at the ranch, Rick's pilot shoot, and Sharon in the theater) is perfect!
I was just about to say this, but here you've gone and said it.

Also, that climax had me almost in tears I was laughing so hard. Can't remember the last time a movie made me laugh with such abandon -- but juxtapose it with reality and it does take on a very different aspect.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 am

I remember laughing quite hard during the end of Inglourious Basterds due to how over-the-top the whole sequence was.
If you're going to change history, you might as well have fun in the process.
I also chuckled a bit when Dalton had his breakdown in the trailer. My laughter was 10% "Lol, this guy's going berserk" and 90% "I feel bad for laughing at this".
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Macrology wrote:Also, that climax had me almost in tears I was laughing so hard. Can't remember the last time a movie made me laugh with such abandon -- but juxtapose it with reality and it does take on a very different aspect.
Same! And then that other type of tears in the very last scene as the gate opened and I started to think.

Popcorn, I read somewhere that Leo improvised that whole scene!
Jinnistan

Re: Maiden's Voyage: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm
I’m not a Tarantino fan. In fact, I haven’t seen any of his movies since Pulp Fiction. I guess you could say that means I might be a Tarantino fan if I gave him a chance, but I doubt it. Or, that’s what I would have said last week. I might have been wrong!
I would venture into Jackie Brown, and check the temp from there.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks! I'll give it try.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Jackie Brown has to be near the top of his movies. The Brown/Cherry relationship is one of the best things he's put on film.

Also has one of the last great DeNiro performances I can think of. And Fonda's unfortunate swan song (at least I think it was.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 pm

I was going to recommend the same. It's his most subdued and thoughtful film (this is speaking in very relative terms, of course). You might also like Kill Bill for its sheer aesthetic audacity.

Another thought about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:
I love how the climax thumbs its nose at the speech that Susan Atkins (Mikey Madison) makes in the car, about killing the media figures that "indoctrinated" them into violence. The violence in the scene is so ridiculously over the top, so comically triumphant, that it satirizes the very idea of being unable to distinguish between fictional violence and actual violence, like the Tate murders. It attacks the myth of fictional violence spurring actual violence by employing a scene of absurd fictional carnage as a rhetorical device.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll try to watch Jackie Brown soon.

And Mac, I really like that! It makes
Chekhov's flame thrower thematically significant, as well as comically.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:32 am

Ha, I hadn't tied that in. Very nice.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Jackie Brown has to be near the top of his movies. The Brown/Cherry relationship is one of the best things he's put on film.

Also has one of the last great DeNiro performances I can think of. And Fonda's unfortunate swan song (at least I think it was.
I'll never understand this.
I've watched it 4 times to make sure I'm not crazy and I find it to be a bit of a slog actually.
A better movie, probably than anything after Kill Bill, as he became so self-indulgent and silly after that, but of the four (five if you count KB twice) films before that, I'd put Jackie Brown last.
I agree that the Brown/Cherry relationship is one of the best things he's ever done, but a lot of the rest of that film seems to just wander aimlessly.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 pm
Thanks! I'll give it try.
I'm pretty tepid on Tarantino generally speaking (for several reasons). But Jackie Brown is the one film of his that I love with almost no reservations. The only film he's done that I've ever wanted to rewatch.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:56 pm

Tarantino isn't one of my favorite directors, but I've enjoyed some of his films quite a lot. They can hit the spot. Also, although I'll have to rewatch OUATIH to confirm this, it might be my favorite of his films made in this decade.

Still want to check out Jackie Brown.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:06 am

Takoma1 wrote: I'm pretty tepid on Tarantino generally speaking (for several reasons). But Jackie Brown is the one film of his that I love with almost no reservations. The only film he's done that I've ever wanted to rewatch.
Ooh, thanks. That's just what I wanted to hear! :)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:06 am
Ooh, thanks. That's just what I wanted to hear! :)
It's the kind of movie where I'm excited thinking about someone watching it for the first time.

It combines what I think are the strengths of his filmmaking, but without most of the grosser stuff. For one thing, he's not in the film.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 pm
For one thing, he's not in the film.
I'm certain this is the one opinion every movie fan can agree on.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Am I the only one who likes Tarantino's cameos?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 pm
Yes.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm
Yes.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm

That's alright. I'm fine with being on an island alone.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm
That's alright. I'm fine with being on an island alone.
I think that many of his cameos betray the ego-centrism that I find off-putting about him in general. The element I most dislike about his films is the degree to which they feel masturbatory (the foot fetish stuff sometimes making that dynamic all too literal). The way that he "centers" himself in many of his cameos is so off-putting.

I wouldn't mind some Hitchcock-esque "getting on a train in the background" jazz. In fact, he IS in Jackie Brown as a voice on an answering machine. Yes! Perfect! That is how you do a director cameo. Not, you know, saying racial epithets to Sam Jackson's face.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 pm

I saw Django Unchained opening weekend and the whole crowd groaned when Tarantino made his cameo. the audience is never wrong!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 am

I get why people dislike his cameos, and I'd be satisfied if he either didn't do them altogether or had much smaller roles. I just don't get bothered by them.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 am

Like is a strong word, but I generally find them amusing enough to give them a pass. I question how cool Tarantino thinks he is, because he never comes across as less than completely lame in any of his cameos, and his scenes usually play up his lameness.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 am
Like is a strong word, but I generally find them amusing enough to give them a pass. I question how cool Tarantino thinks he is, because he never comes across as less than completely lame in any of his cameos, and his scenes usually play up his lameness.
I think he tosses in some self-deprecation, but he likes to toss in some chest-puffery too. While only playing the writer-actor, not director, he did put Salma Hayek's toe in his mouth. He's not a humble little boy.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 am
I find that element to be lampshading. Just find the maturity to stay out of it. You are the person who wants to be the center of attention, gets on the dance floor, can't dance, and thus "entertains" everyone by dancing badly but, like, on purpose!

I find his work so constructed to begin with, that his cameos push them past whatever suspension of disbelief I'd mustered up in the first place.

I'm just really not someone who vibes with his work, and I know that my opinion of his films is generally 2-3 points below what someone else would score them. His cameos really ding films that I'm often slightly struggling to connect with in the first place.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 am
I find that element to be lampshading. Just find the maturity to stay out of it. You are the person who wants to be the center of attention, gets on the dance floor, can't dance, and thus "entertains" everyone by dancing badly but, like, on purpose!

I find his work so constructed to begin with, that his cameos push them past whatever suspension of disbelief I'd mustered up in the first place.

I'm just really not someone who vibes with his work, and I know that my opinion of his films is generally 2-3 points below what someone else would score them. His cameos really ding films that I'm often slightly struggling to connect with in the first place.
What say you of Spike? I was reading some of his director's journal on Do the Right Thing about deciding to cast himself as the lead, and while there's a nod to his limitations, there's also some cringey backpatting about how much people like him and how that'll boost sales.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Ergill wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 am
What say you of Spike? I was reading some of his director's journal on Do the Right Thing about deciding to cast himself as the lead, and while there's a nod to his limitations, there's also some cringey backpatting about how much people like him and how that'll boost sales.
Well, his Mookie ads with Jordon were everywhere at the time, and basically how he was most recognized by popular audiences.

It also led to the most intriguing dilemma he mentions in the journals which was his
decision to have Mookie take the money at the end, because originally he wasn't supposed to, until Spike realized that it was Spike who would never take the money, but Mookie absolutely would. In turn this led to some controversial interpretations where audiences that assumed the Mookie/Spike are interchangeable then believed that Spike was endorsing this last act of contempt. Spike has had to clarify over the years that this was not his intention.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Ergill wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 am
I don't mind him in Do the Right Thing. Is it the best performance that could have existed for that role? Of course not. But I find that there are some interesting parallels between the character he is playing and Spike Lee as an artist. The whole struggle of trying to function in a rigged system, the question of what to do as a reaction to being witness to injustice, and ultimately, pride vs survival. The film is also set in a place that is known and personal to him. Spike Lee and his *aura* fit into this story in both time and place.

For lack of a better word, Lee starring in his own film feels more organic and honest than any role Tarantino has ever played.

Tatantino's films already exist in kind of a heightened reality, and I find that his cameo characters tend to go a step beyond that (whether it's his more limited acting compared to his co-stars or just the fact that he always oozes these low-key sexual predator vibes). I cannot express strongly enough the degree to which his cameos look to me like someone playing dress up and how much that pulls me out of the flow of the film.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm

I hope we can agree that Tarantino's best cameo was in Spike's Girl 6.

As for his own films, I'll go with "Man From Hollywood", simply for being a more or less accurate portrayal.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Yes.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 pm
I think that many of his cameos betray the ego-centrism that I find off-putting about him in general. The element I most dislike about his films is the degree to which they feel masturbatory...
Yes! Exactly! Yes!!!
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 pm
I don't mind him in Do the Right Thing. Is it the best performance that could have existed for that role? Of course not. But I find that there are some interesting parallels between the character he is playing and Spike Lee as an artist. The whole struggle of trying to function in a rigged system, the question of what to do as a reaction to being witness to injustice, and ultimately, pride vs survival. The film is also set in a place that is known and personal to him. Spike Lee and his *aura* fit into this story in both time and place.

For lack of a better word, Lee starring in his own film feels more organic and honest than any role Tarantino has ever played.

Tatantino's films already exist in kind of a heightened reality, and I find that his cameo characters tend to go a step beyond that (whether it's his more limited acting compared to his co-stars or just the fact that he always oozes these low-key sexual predator vibes). I cannot express strongly enough the degree to which his cameos look to me like someone playing dress up and how much that pulls me out of the flow of the film.
All good points.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:38 am

Ergill wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:04 am
All good points.
I might feel differently if I felt like Lee constantly tried to shoehorn himself into his films, and especially if it seemed like he was writing parts for himself.

Also, it's something that I think is more common for directors in their earlier films, so I'm rarely surprised to see directors playing roles in their first few major pictures.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:46 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 pm

It's a damn good thing that he didn't end up playing Aldo in Inglourious Basterds like he originally planned, or else, in addition to having to watch him try to act a lot more, we also would've had to watch the movie end like this...

*hurl*
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:23 pm

I finally watched Jackie Brown. You were all correct -- I really enjoyed it. Pam Grier is phenomenal, and I loved the way he let the characters build in the first half. Takoma, I'll definitely be watching this one again. :)

Oh, and Tarantino is the worst answering machine voice in the history of voices.

Macrology wrote:You might also like Kill Bill for its sheer aesthetic audacity.
Based on the one scene I've seen from this, you're probably right. That one's next.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:23 pm
I finally watched Jackie Brown. You were all correct -- I really enjoyed it. Pam Grier is phenomenal, and I loved the way he let the characters build in the first half. Takoma, I'll definitely be watching this one again. :)
Yay!
Oh, and Tarantino is the worst answering machine voice in the history of voices.
I don't even remember the nature of the cameo. Does he leave a message?

Based on the one scene I've seen from this, you're probably right. That one's next.
I liked Kill Bill, but there's a degree to which the contrast of the fetishizing/exploitation and the female empowerment doesn't totally work for me. (I won't spoiler anything, but I'm thinking specifically of a conversation in a hospital in the beginning of the film). I also find the dialogue to be on the more contrived-sounding end of things.

A better alternative: Blind Woman's Curse (free on Prime if you have it!).
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Takoma1 wrote:I don't even remember the nature of the cameo. Does he leave a message?
He's the machine's voice. The "You have one new message" voice.
I liked Kill Bill, but there's a degree to which the contrast of the fetishizing/exploitation and the female empowerment doesn't totally work for me. (I won't spoiler anything, but I'm thinking specifically of a conversation in a hospital in the beginning of the film). I also find the dialogue to be on the more contrived-sounding end of things.

A better alternative: Blind Woman's Curse (free on Prime if you have it!).
I'll keep that in mind. It's not at the top of my list, anyway.

Oh, and I've seen Blind Woman's Curse. Very fun!

Image Image
Image Image
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm
Oh, and I've seen Blind Woman's Curse. Very fun!
Yes, spread the good word!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:27 am

Yeah, that one's pretty good. I'm also a fan of Horrors of Malformed Men from the same director, which also features the creepy dancer guy and has one of the more bananas endings to a movie I've seen.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: The Golden Fern

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Macrology wrote:Last night I watched a Czech film, The Golden Fern, and it struck me as something that might appeal to you, Maiden. It's directed by Jiri Weiss, who also made Romeo, Juliet, and Darkness, but this one is a totally different beast.
Hey, Mac, I watched this, but I've had writer's block for weeks now. Time to fix that!

The Golden Fern is a beautiful fable with a social punch. A man attains the golden fern and is rewarded with the love of a mysterious woman. Sounds simple, but he has a tragic flaw in the Greek sense. It's almost a horror story twice over, where the military camp politics are quite a bit scarier than the creepy forest magic. It's kind of unexpected that the main character is so unlikable -- thoughtless and arrogant, with a pathological fear of ridicule. But his adventures/quests are right out of Grimms' Fairy Tales, and his comeuppance is as melancholy as anything I've seen. Thanks for the recommendation!

Image Image