Upcoming Films Worth Knowing About

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Oats

Re: Upcoming Films Worth Knowing About

Post by Captain Oats » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I can vouch for this one from the festival circuit.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Captain Oats wrote:

I can vouch for this one from the festival circuit.
Clerks meets Trainspotting meets Footloose?
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Funnily enough, one of those guys played Renton in a stage production of Trainspotting recently.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 am

Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:49 am

Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Captain Oats wrote:
Next up, photo-realistic digital remakes of Picasso, Munch, and Van Gogh! See these paintings as you've never seen them, as real, living, breathing images of life!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Does anyone remember the scene in Groundhog Day where Rita and Phil are building a snowman for the second time? Phil is trying to recapture the joy they felt when they first built a snowman, but Rita's response is like, "what the hell are you doing?" That's how I'm starting to feel about all of these live-action reboots.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I'd hesitate even calling this particular one live-action. Just a CGI animated remake.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Captain Oats wrote:I'd hesitate even calling this particular one live-action. Just a CGI animated remake.
Maybe, if the film does well at the box office, and given the success of Into the Spiderverse we might someday get a cartoon remake of this classic tale? Sure, you've seen the Broadway production, you watched the uncanny CGI remake, you own the sound track, you even own Lion King branded French Toast Holders, but now Disney proudly presents a cartoon based on the original.
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 pm

Are the hyenas gonna goose step in this one?
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

http://www.thematinee.ca/tiff2018fxxkyou/
Ryan McNeil at The Matinee wrote:What are you gonna do with that?

FUCK YOU is the story of a Swedish teenager named Gina who shoplifts a strap-on and sees what wearing it brings out in her male friends.

The boys of FUCK YOU are brash, macho, peacocking sorts of lads. They show their bravado by how much pain they can take, how high they can jump, and other such silly displays of masculinity. Their faces when confronted with another symbol of masculinity on one of their female friends are priceless.

Director Anette Sidor rightly assumes that boys would look at a girl like Gina, and be threatened by her newfound appendage. They presume she doesn’t know what to do with it (news flash: it ain’t complicated, boys), and that she is something…other.

A girl like Gina is not just another pretty lass impressed by machismo. While she might have found her way into this moment on youthful impulsiveness, she quickly finds her eyes opened with maturity about what a simple challenge to masculinity brings about in the boys around her. The question this movie poses is less what she will “do with that” than what the boys around her will do.

The question gorgeously goes beyond sex and kink – it’s a direct challenge to young patriarchy, and an affecting one at that.

The boys of the world need to catch up quick: The patriarchy is at long last being looked in the eye and confronted. How men respond to that confrontation will speak volumes about their place in the new world order.

Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 pm

was that Big Daddy Palps at the end?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:was that Big Daddy Palps at the end?

That's what they're saying.

I was stoked to see Lando, the biggest pimp in the galaxy.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:22 am

this teaser does not quell my concerns that Star Wars will continue recycling its own mythos in perpetuity. I could be wrong but I have at least four movies to back me up.

though in all seriousness I hope the rest of y'all like it. or that if y'all don't, you're not too troubled by that.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 am

also that title feels like a "fuck you" to Rian Johnson.

"nope, we're doing dynasties! the Skywalker will rise!"
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Death Proof wrote:
I was stoked to see Lando, the biggest pimp in the galaxy.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:this teaser does not quell my concerns that Star Wars will continue recycling its own mythos in perpetuity. I could be wrong but I have at least four movies to back me up.

though in all seriousness I hope the rest of y'all like it. or that if y'all don't, you're not too troubled by that.
My response to these movies is increasingly indifference.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:51 am

I am picturing Emperor Palpatine in a shadow box that says "Break Glass In Case Of Fan Backlash"
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 am

Lucy Hale, Lucas Till to Star in Spike Lee’s Civil Rights Drama Son of the South:
“Son of the South” is based on the Bob Zellner autobiography, “The Wrong Side of Murder Creek: A White Southerner in the Freedom Movement.” Zellner, an Alabama native and grandson of a Ku Klux Klan member, is pulled into the center of the civil rights movement in 1961.

Till (the “X-Men” franchise) is starring as Zellner and Hale as Carol Ann, Zellner’s college girlfriend. Lex Scott Davis (“Superfly”) is also starring along with Julia Ormond as Virginia Durr, Cedric the Entertainer as Reverend Ralph Abernathy and Sharonne Lanier as Rosa Parks. Brian Dennehy plays Zellner’s grandfather. Chaka Forman is portraying his activist father Jim Forman.

Lee is executive producing with his longtime editor Barry Alexander Brown directing from his own screenplay. Lee won the Academy Award for the “BlacKkKlansman” adapted screenplay and Brown received an editing nomination.

“Son of the South” has started shooting in Montgomery, Ala., where many of the events took place. The producers are Colin Bates of Lucidity Entertainment (“Maggie,” “Kidnap”) Stan Erdreich, of River Bend Pictures (“Coming Through The Rye”), Eve Pomerance (“As Good As Dead”) Bill Black (“Bayou Caviar”) and David Kang (“Bodied,” “Skin”).

Lee and Brown’s collaboration dates back to 1986’s “She’s Gotta Have It,” and includes “Do the Right Thing,” “Malcolm X,” and “Inside Man.” Brown also co-directed the Academy Award-nominated documentary “The War at Home.”
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 am

Torgo wrote:Does anyone remember the scene in Groundhog Day where Rita and Phil are building a snowman for the second time? Phil is trying to recapture the joy they felt when they first built a snowman, but Rita's response is like, "what the hell are you doing?" That's how I'm starting to feel about all of these live-action reboots.
Yes.
That's an excellent parallel.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 am

This is probably not the right thread for this, but it is worth sharing anyway.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 04, 2019 12:23 am

Stu

Post by Stu » Sat May 04, 2019 2:43 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 05, 2019 2:09 am

Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Stu

Post by Stu » Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 11, 2019 1:39 am

I hope it's good but it would have been better to stop with one film.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 am

Captain Oats wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm
Great trailer. Who'da thought naked grannies could be so terrifying.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 11, 2019 3:43 am

Sat May 11, 2019 1:39 am
noooooooo

Loved the second one and Parabellum... just look at Halle Berry. God DAMN. And I love her twin German Shepherd nutbiters.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 am

Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 am
Great trailer. Who'da thought naked grannies could be so terrifying.
Her just for the audience pop and lock breakdance made me laugh. I think Muschietti has terrible sensibilities for "scary" but is a talented director otherwise.

Also, this is another trailer for another movies...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZL2x2OQI_64[/youtube]
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat May 11, 2019 4:50 am

Sat May 11, 2019 1:39 am
Well, while the original was fairly self-contained in its basic plot, and it did an okay job of setting up a unique world and a decent foundation for the overall franchise to exist upon, it still didn't deliver on its full potential for me, with pretty much every action scene feeling overly choreographed and lacking a sense of real danger and excitement, and it didn't emphasize its heightened reality quite enough, and ended up feeling like a more typical than necessary, only slightly more stylish than usual Actioner in the end (and that's without even mentioning its generally lackluster 3rd act/climactic fight). Chapter 2, on the other hand, felt like Stahelski letting loose a lot more with the action, style, and overall world-building, which made it much more engrossing for me, and most of what I've heard about Parabellum is saying that it continues in the same sort of direction, so I can't help but be hopeful for its prospects, y'know?
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Stu wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:50 am
Well, while the original was fairly self-contained in its basic plot, and it did an okay job of setting up a unique world and a decent foundation for the overall franchise to exist upon, it still didn't deliver on its full potential for me,
It met it's full potential. It's an action-revenge flick. The rule is to always leave the audience wanting more. What is the Continental? What is behind it? What's with the gold coins. The truth is we don't really want or need to know. The Continental is "base" in a game of tag. It suggests some sort of order behind it all, but this film exists in a universe that's too ridiculous for meaningful order. The coins are murder-Shekels, like tokens at Chuck-e-Cheese. We're free to imagine an underground currency behind it (based on the gold standard, but probably traded internationally via crypto....), but they're murder-bucks.

They kill his dog. He kills everyone. That's the plot. Not a lot of potential here. The subtext is that the dog represents what is left of his hope, humanity, and redemption through love and that the puppyicide represents fate stepping in to hold Wick accountable for his sins. He gets a new dog at the end. Hope restored.
Stu wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:50 am
with pretty much every action scene feeling overly choreographed and lacking a sense of real danger and excitement, and it didn't emphasize its heightened reality quite enough, and ended up feeling like a more typical than necessary, only slightly more stylish than usual Actioner in the end (and that's without even mentioning its generally lackluster 3rd act/climactic fight).

It's not an exercise in realism. It is a stylized John-Woo-style buttkicker. That's all it is. That's all it needed to be.

Chapter 2, on the other hand, felt like Stahelski letting loose a lot more with the action, style, and overall world-building, which made it much more engrossing for me, [/quote]

What did we really get? Tattooed telephone workers operating ancient manual switchboards? More Myth-o'-Wick? Larry Fishburn chewing scenery, "Somebody get this man a GUNNNN!"? A thinly veiled ad for Kimber 1911s and three-gun shooting? The appearance of the forgettable Ruby Rose before her career peaked in The Meg?

If you found it more engrossing, that's great. For me, the more they unveil this world, the more it feels like Chronicles of Riddick. Don't explain the force. Don't lift the frame of the painting to find more of the scene. Don't demand world-building of schoolboy daydreams. Just enjoy the daydream.

[url=https://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=820]and most of what I've heard about Parabellum is saying that it continues in the same sort of direction, so I can't help but be hopeful for its prospects, y'know?
[/quote]

I own a copy of the first Wick. I am forgetting the 2nd more and more every day. I hope the 3rd is closer to the 1st than the 2nd film. I think, however, it is more likely that you will get your wish. See below, but there are mild spoilers within (not plot, but stage-setting).
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 am

Sat May 11, 2019 10:26 pm
It met it's full potential. It's an action-revenge flick. The rule is to always leave the audience wanting more. What is the Continental? What is behind it? What's with the gold coins. The truth is we don't really want or need to know. The Continental is "base" in a game of tag. It suggests some sort of order behind it all, but this film exists in a universe that's too ridiculous for meaningful order. The coins are murder-Shekels, like tokens at Chuck-e-Cheese. We're free to imagine an underground currency behind it (based on the gold standard, but probably traded internationally via crypto....), but they're murder-bucks.

They kill his dog. He kills everyone. That's the plot. Not a lot of potential here. The subtext is that the dog represents what is left of his hope, humanity, and redemption through love and that the puppyicide represents fate stepping in to hold Wick accountable for his sins. He gets a new dog at the end. Hope restored.

It's not an exercise in realism. It is a stylized John-Woo-style buttkicker. That's all it is. That's all it needed to be.

What did we really get? Tattooed telephone workers operating ancient manual switchboards? More Myth-o'-Wick? Larry Fishburn chewing scenery, "Somebody get this man a GUNNNN!"? A thinly veiled ad for Kimber 1911s and three-gun shooting? The appearance of the forgettable Ruby Rose before her career peaked in The Meg?

If you found it more engrossing, that's great. For me, the more they unveil this world, the more it feels like Chronicles of Riddick. Don't explain the force. Don't lift the frame of the painting to find more of the scene. Don't demand world-building of schoolboy daydreams. Just enjoy the daydream.

I own a copy of the first Wick. I am forgetting the 2nd more and more every day. I hope the 3rd is closer to the 1st than the 2nd film. I think, however, it is more likely that you will get your wish. See below, but there are mild spoilers within (not plot, but stage-setting).
To each his own, but for me, the just-beneath-the-surface, clandestine underworld society of the Wick series is its biggest allure, so it makes perfect sense to emphasize that aspect of the film more in the sequels, since it's what makes the films feel fundamentally special, and helps to distinguish it from other Action franchises. That being said, I probably would've enjoyed the original if the action scenes in it had at least been exciting, but I felt they were generally underwhelming for the reasons I stated, and to bring it back to John Woo, none of the action in the original Wick came anywhere close to say, the warehouse scene in Hard Boiled, or the church shootout in The Killer (which is anything but realistic in its stuntwork, but its fundamental sense of chaos and intensity is what makes all the difference), and to bring it back to Keanu, at least the lobby shootout in The Matrix, while overrated, still had some pretty slow-motion carnage and some cheesily fun, dated late 90's techno on the soundtrack to enjoy. Some of the shootouts in Chapter 2 were a bit too repetitive and shooting gallery-ish, but they still generally had more style and personality (the sumo fight or that psychedelic hall of mirrors, anyone?), and this is the kind of good action that the first Wick should've had some more of:

Thanks for the Chapter 3 vid, though, I'll check it out when I get the time.
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 am

Stu wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 am
To each his own, but for me, the just-beneath-the-surface, clandestine underworld society of the Wick series is its biggest allure, so it makes perfect sense to emphasize that aspect of the film more in the sequels, since it's what makes the films feel fundamentally special, and helps to distinguish it from other Action franchises.

I loved that the first film gestured at some arcane architecture beneath the surface. What was cool was the sense there was a "there" there behind the scenes, that this was taking place in some world with a developed underworld. The aesthetic effect however is the "sense" that this is the case, but not the actual excavation of this world--the more you learn about magic, the more mundane it becomes (e.g., the force, Twain on two ways of seeing a river).

It seems, however, that they're going the excavation route, and doing world-building
this time he is going to see the "director" and although his murder-Scheckels are no good anymore he still has a "ticker" which he mentions in the director's theater.
Stu wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 am
That being said, I probably would've enjoyed the original if the action scenes in it had at least been exciting, but I felt they were generally underwhelming for the reasons I stated, and to bring it back to John Woo, none of the action in the original Wick came anywhere close to say, the warehouse scene in Hard Boiled, or the church shootout in The Killer (which is anything but realistic in its stuntwork, but its fundamental sense of chaos and intensity is what makes all the difference), and to bring it back to Keanu, at least the lobby shootout in The Matrix, while overrated, still had some pretty slow-motion carnage and some cheesily fun, dated late 90's techno on the soundtrack to enjoy. Some of the shootouts in Chapter 2 were a bit too repetitive and shooting gallery-ish, but they still generally had more style and personality (the sumo fight or that psychedelic hall of mirrors, anyone?), and this is the kind of good action that the first Wick should've had some more of:

Thanks for the Chapter 3 vid, though, I'll check it out when I get the time.
I thought part 2 was OK, but I still think it would've been better to leave things with the first film.

At any rate, we're agreed that we hope that part 3 will do the franchise justice. Keanu is reputed to be a nice guy IRL who really puts in the work as an actor to train for realism (I guess he is a pretty good three-gun shooter) and it would be good to see Halle in one or two more good roles.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 am

Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 am
I loved that the first film gestured at some arcane architecture beneath the surface. What was cool was the sense there was a "there" there behind the scenes, that this was taking place in some world with a developed underworld. The aesthetic effect however is the "sense" that this is the case, but no[font=][/font]t the actual excavation of this world--the more you learn about magic, the more mundane it becomes (e.g., the force, Twain on two ways of seeing a river).
Well, for me, I found that the more I saw of and learned about the world of Wick in Chapter 2, the more fascinating/alluring it became, giving the whole affair a dark, mysterious overall style, personality, and vibe, and helping to offset the more generic genre elements that have always existed in the series, and which were particularly prominent in the original, which ultimately held it back as a film. Not saying you don't have good points here, I just see it from a different perspective. And, when it comes to the Star Wars comparison, of course there are ways to over-explore certain aspects in ways that betrays their original spirit (I don't know anyone who doesn't think introducing the "midichlorians" was an ill-advised attempt to give The Force an unnecessary, pseudo-scientific explanation), but what I saw in Wick 2 was more like the introduction of Emperor Palpatine or "No, I am your father!" in Empire, i.e. the good kind of exploration and myth-expansion, which is why I desire to see more of in Parabellum.
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 am

Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 am
Robert Pattinson is the new gosh-darn Batman

Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 18, 2019 1:23 am

Stu wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 am
Robert Pattinson is the new gosh-darn Batman
Will his suit sparkle?
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed May 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Last Movie Seen: