LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

Discuss anything you want.
DaiKamonohashi

Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:44 am

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:09 pm

It's Godzilla-sorta! :D

Looks cool.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 pm

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya
An American Gentleman

Post by An American Gentleman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm

You do that, you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy Lord.
Das

Post by Das » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm always impressed by just how passionate you are about your projects, Dai.

That could be a really interesting concept, AAG.
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:12 am

Das wrote:I'm always impressed by just how passionate you are about your projects, Dai.
D'aw, shucks. Glad to hear it!

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Here is a thing I finished last night:

[vimeo]49809746[/vimeo]

In this, the talented and lovely Christine patiently tolerates me as I film her painting process for an hour and twenty minutes. I've been struggling with editing an art film, which this footage was originally shot for, so I decided to take a break and edit this together as general montage practice. I think it turned out pretty nicely. Hope everyone likes it!

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:17 am

Remember THE TERRORMISU?

[vimeo]33179915[/vimeo]

Wanna see it as an actual film? Maybe? Yes? THEN SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE. If it can get 10,000 views by the end of the year, we'll put THE TERRORMISU into production! We're not even asking for money! Just views! MAKE IT HAPPEN. 8D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Birdie Num Nums

Post by Birdie Num Nums » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm sitting at DaiKamonohashi's kitchen counter, which is surreal in and of itself, but maybe even more surreal is that on Sunday night we wrapped principle photography on his newest Lobsterdance Production, Nivis Ex Machina. I'm really excited to have been a part of this film. It was the most professionally run set I've been on and everybody was an absolute hoot to work with. Here's a couple screenshots.

There's a lot more behind-the-scenes stuff on the Lobsterdance Facebook page, so go check it out.
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Woo! With production values this high, it's very probable that this will be destined for the festival circuit! :D

Here, have some behind-the-scenes stills!

Our main set:

Our exterior setup:

Our miniature division, hard at work:

And here's the majority of our cast and crew gathered for a group shot:

And you should totally like our Facebook page because we need all the attention we can get! Thanks! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Lookin' good
snapper

Post by snapper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm

I like the sassy lady at the bottom left
Latest notable first-time viewings:

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2
Gort

Post by Gort » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:24 am

Did the DP on any take ever forget to press the button to start recording?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
bubba

Post by bubba » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:10 am

Huh, I just found out there's a behind the scenes feature for the video I worked on a couple months back. I'm in like two shots, and I think I was holding the camera for a few more
Recent
Stranger By The Lake (Guiraudie '13)
Like Father, Like Son (Koreeda '13)
When Evening Falls On Bucharest Or Metabolism (Porumboiu '13)
Our Sunhi (Hong '13)
Computer Chess (Bujalski '13)

Blog
Twitter
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Two more stills!

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Gort wrote:Did the DP on any take ever forget to press the button to start recording?
The reason I ask is that I was once in a student production with sound, sourced on a Mitchell 16 and a Nagra. The director hollered "Action!" and I didn't hear the camera turning over...it's blimped so I figured I wasn't supposed to, but I worried about it, because I usually could hear it. But I was usually the one at the camera, and...well, it's blimped so I shouldn't hear it this far away, I told myself. After I finished my horrible acting and the director hollered "Cut!" I asked, "Did you start the camera?" He was also the DP for this take, you see.

And he said, "Oh, God, no, I forgot to press the button." So I had to repeat my performance, which was probably even worse that time.

Whenever someone talks about an intense shoot I always wonder if the DP forgot to roll tape, film, or start the digital flash drive accumulating organized bits. :D

The Future Unreels
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 pm

No, Birdie never forgot. XD

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am

DaiKamonohashi wrote:No, Birdie never forgot. XD
:up: for Birdie.

I actually forgot to roll tape once when making a trainer for a department store. I wasn't using a remote cable, and had to start the tape recorder manually. And I pushed the button on the camera...which did absolutely no good. It was an excellent performance between my two actors, and I figured I had the master shot in the can, so I went to look at it and saw the pause light still glimmering.

Dayum.

The Future Unreels
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 pm

HELLO, CORRIERINO. DID YOU MISS ME?! I DIDN'T THINK SO. <3

So anyway, we just released the first episode of a new webseries! Yay! You should watch it because it is at least mildly amusing!

[vimeo]69664390[/vimeo]

I directed and DP'd and Birdie designed our opening and closing credits!

Also, bonus points, here is a weird artsy min-doc thing I did a couple of months ago:

[vimeo]67844366[/vimeo]

Oh, and wow, I haven't been here in quite awhile! Here is another thing that Birdie and I have done (he edited this one):

[vimeo]60764027[/vimeo]

They're all around three minutes long so if you've got ten, you can easily watch them all! I hope you guys enjoy them. :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
wigwam

Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE

Post by wigwam » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31 am

:-/
wigwam

Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE

Post by wigwam » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41 am

:-/
rad

Post by rad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

i just watched burn down the world and jeez
was going to try and formulate some kind of response but instead i went outside and chain smoked for a while in the dark, cold night and looked inwards a bit
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 pm

thanks so much for watching, rad! i think that's an appropriate enough reaction. I hope you like Deformity more, I think it's more life-affirming, but maybe not? We planned another one that definitely will be and I'm just about to go get its first shot at the church across the street (it's not religious) (unless maybe pagan/wiccan)
Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 am

I'm sorry for being nosy, but do you have AvPD?
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 am

not nosy at all, since i made a whole movie about it, but i dont know what AvPD is - are you referring to my hand or my mental state? i forget what the hand thing is called and mentally i've been thru a bunch of diagnoses none of which quite fit or lead to the right treatment
Das

Post by Das » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am

hirtho wrote:not nosy at all, since i made a whole movie about it, but i dont know what AvPD is - are you referring to my hand or my mental state? i forget what the hand thing is called and mentally i've been thru a bunch of diagnoses none of which quite fit or lead to the right treatment
Mental state, he's referring to Avoidant Personality Disorder.
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 am

Das wrote:Avoidant
i see, no altho I have characteristics I dont meet all the criteria, so that and Social Anxiety Disorder were ruled out during one series of diagnoses cuz I don't fit the inferiority, not Antisocial cuz I sustain work, not Aspergers cuz I can read people I just don't care and it was more likely that if i had a personality disorder is was schizoid personality disorder, feeling apart from rather than inferiority to, although I originally fit sociopathy when I first went to therapists except my addiction/alcoholism muddied that at the time but now that it's changed to dissocial and i haven't used anything for 10+ years I may fit it, but then another psych said I fit a new theory called embitterment disorder but it's not in DSM at all

yeah, so, it's hopeless :D
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 am

you're just cray, that's the problem

not to sound insulting and there's no way this couldn't but Narcissistic Personality Disorder could apply, it seems like you sort of separate yourself from people and social interaction because you feel better than them/it, you take 'the customer is always right' to absurd lengths which shows that you devalue the social interactive experience of others and you have no interest in maintaining peaceful relationships with people on here and, from your own testimonials, irl, which probably implies that you feel superior to them and that there's nothing obliging you to stay on good terms. Ie. you're really apt to call a person, everything they've ever done or written, their friends and family worthless etc because they make a throwaway comment that you find upsetting for whatever reason

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

wigwam

Post by wigwam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 am

That was my self-diagnosis (malignant narcissism) but that, antisocial and Borderline all require a superiority I don't truly feel when therapists have explored it with me

when i've examined what you're referring to in terms of customer always right with therapists/psychs there's a delusional equality to it where it's not that I'm entitled to it but it's a need that anyone in my position should have met, ie I'm not asking for anything for myself that others don't also deserve to have and would benefit from and should be supplied by paid personnel

also when I've been on the other side of that and had customers go off on me my reaction wasn't superior or inferior but other-than, unable to relate to their predicament the way others reportedly can or feel guilt not meeting their needs

but in terms of not valuing social interaction, that's true but from what I'm told not superiority but feelings of apart-from and not belonging and where others involve superiority or inferiority as means to alleviate that and approximate/manipulate belonging, I just stop before the alleviation. I found belonging easy and unnecessary. I come from a loud, sociable and overly emotional family and where I've found myself repeating those situations with bands and romantic relationships I realized it's something I actively dislike and thus actively must keep out of my life. The intensity of my disorders/craziness has only really been on this plateau for the past 5 or 6 years as I was in denial and/or distracting myself from it w/ various compulsions but now I'm trying to work through it.
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am

What is your end goal? What other people call "normalcy"? Or are you happy?

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

wigwam

Post by wigwam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am

i'm def not happy (after i showed my wife Burn Down the World she told me i frown in my sleep :( ) and i dont expect to reach normalcy ever, but something like emotional stability or reflexive coping skills are hopes i have, and to find the right combo of meds (so far I've been on various types of starter-bipolar types of meds since anger and anxiety are the primary problems)

that embitterment disorder i talked about has this concept of treatment called "wisdom therapy" which is basically learning ("gaining wisdom") analogous lessons that can be applied to the symptoms of the disorder - like maturing my emotions via acceptance of things that others have "normal"/functional reactions to - of course, to me, that's what watching all the movies is about! so many permutations of emotions, situations, outcomes, ambiguities, happy endings, sad endings, etc - i need it all, it all helps
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

You should sleep thru less movies in that case

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

wigwam

Post by wigwam » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:19 pm

:lol:
Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 pm

snapper wrote:You should sleep thru less movies in that case
Hah!

I'm sure that's terribly frustrating. You're right though, the DSM doesn't contain all mental disorders, and it seems like you're not totally maladaptive, so I could see where it might be hard to 'classify' you under some axis. How long has it been since you've seen a psychiatrist? The newest DSM just released in May, so perhaps there might be more insight on your condition. I don't know. The only reason I find this interesting is because I'm considering clinical psychology, but I certainly wouldn't try to attempt to diagnose, or suggest, or anything silly like that. I always refer people to the professionals! :D

Best of luck!
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 am

hirtho wrote:
[vimeo]70094987[/vimeo]

Every Night at the Movies We Fall in Love
an essay about movies, marriage and moonlight
There are several nice shots here and I like the spoken word content quite a lot but I feel like this could have been cut down to be about two-thirds or even half as long. I just think the extended musical intro dragged on and that all the various elements could have been blended together into something a bit more compelling. Certainly not poor for a first effort though. :)

-Eiji Tsuburaya
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am

thanks so much for watching and critiquing! i'm very precious w/ my footage, it hurts to cut
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 am

hirtho wrote:thanks so much for watching and critiquing! i'm very precious w/ my footage, it hurts to cut
I can DEFINITELY appreciate that feeling, yo, but sometimes it's worth killing your babies for the sake of pacing. I personally tend to limit myself to very short run times (usually dictated by the music) so I can try to squeeze out the best, most concentrated version of a film out of the footage available. Not to say there's no merit in longer takes but I guess I'm a bit suspicious of them in the hands of less experienced filmmakers like you or me. I'm terrified of them, personally. D:

-Eiji Tsuburaya
rad

Post by rad » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:49 am

i haven't stopped thinking about Burn The World Down since i've watched it

i think i'm most impressed with how direct you are with the account of your mental illness
my own issues are easily diagnosable and "less serious" than yours (unipolar depression, social anxiety, insecurity, and the narcissism that comes w/ those) but i find it incredibly hard to be direct and honest by the way those things affect me

you present an inner state of being in a way that's totally unaffected
you're not seeking pity or even understanding, but stating the basic facts
and i can totally ID with what you're putting out, even if some of them aren't anything i can relate to (the gun range earmuffs and balms were something i didn't know about and i can't imagine feeling the need to go that far, but at the same time i can totally identify w/ that)

also the list of names at the end is almost unfair when placed next to the what you are dealing w/
it seems like, despite everything, you aren't suicidal. but still, the presentation makes it seem as if you are at a point where there's no future. suicide has been possibly the most emotionally moving concept in my life ever since i've dealt w/ suicidal ideation and a sorta-not-really attempt at killing myself a few years back.

for lighter feed back:
I agree w/ Dai on Every Night. i love the shots of the theaters, but it does drag and if i didn't know (and like) you i would have lost interest before the voice over even came in. the voice over is quite effective even if your wife's reading feels pretty awkward.
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 pm

By the by, there's a new episode of Life Tech Support this Thursday! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks so much to everyone watching and giving me feedback.

Here is the fourth and final piece in my "July Works" series.

After this I'm going to work with liquids, light and digital manipulation for purely abstract pieces (hopefully like Jeremy Blake and Tree of Life's universe sequences)

Thanks again!
[vimeo]71361770[/vimeo]

The Sunshine Piece
an ode to sunshine and the sounds of summer
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 am

AT LAST! The second episode of Lobsterdance's original series: Life Tech Support! This one is for all you college students, graduates, and astrophysicists out there. PREPARE YOURSELVES.

[vimeo]71483406[/vimeo]

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Episode three drops in a week! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:34 pm

OH GOD, BIRDIE IS IN MY SHOWER. D8

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 am

This was the original idea of Life Tech Support, loosely based on an experience that Clayton, our producer, had with AT&T. This script was originally posted as a Facebook status, and is now the third episode of a webseries. Hope you enjoy!

[vimeo]72433517[/vimeo]

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:02 am

Here is a peek at a new thing we did the other night. :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Das

Post by Das » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 am

Some great looking miniature work there.
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks! Wait till you see the REST of the scene! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Fist

Post by Fist » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm

[vimeo]78670122[/vimeo]
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Perverted Hermit

Post by Perverted Hermit » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Not bad.
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 pm

LOVED

no but seriously it's gorgeous and you have great sensibilities, i loved all the drift-y parts and how videogenic ribs is

so good, please make more