LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

Discuss anything you want.
DaiKamonohashi

Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE!

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Fri May 02, 2014 9:25 am

Birdie and I shot a concert the other night. Then Birdie edited this thing together:

[youtube]LpbmDORTLU4[/youtube]

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Sat May 03, 2014 1:55 am

After numerous delays, we were finally able to shoot our much-anticipated swordfight sequences for our Go, Robo! Go! music video! CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME SCREENSHOTS, YO.

"My heart and mind are as they were when I was a child. Then I loved to play with toys and read stories of magic. I still do. My wish is only to make life happier and more beautiful for those who will go and see my films of fantasy."

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon May 05, 2014 5:16 pm

PRINCIPLE PHOTOGRAPHY FOR ALIZARIN WAS COMPLETED LAST NIGHT.

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Here's a set of screenshots from the second half of Alizarin's principle photography. All of my gratitude to the many wonderful people who made this adventure possible. Now onto the second unit shoots!

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Fist

Post by Fist » Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 am

looking good guys!
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Fist

Post by Fist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 pm

[vimeo]100019913[/vimeo]
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
pwiedenheft

Post by pwiedenheft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Very impressed by your camera's ability to pick up images in such low light. Nice video. Some very cool shots. Keep it up!
Fist

Post by Fist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm

It's actually not a very strong low light camera, with a small sensor compared to something like a Canon 5D, but there's an exceptionally lively community that creates hacked firmware to squeeze the most from it. That and I purposefully jacked up the ISO in some of it above what might have been necessary in order to stop down my lens and get that nice mid-2000s DV noise going on :)
I Watch Films, But...
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:22 pm

That was really lovely! :)
Happy as Lazzaro - Cabin in the Sky - An Autumn Afternoon - Us - Women in New York

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | My Bookshelf
Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 pm

I enjoyed the fireworks and the fireworks watchers. Thanks.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
charulata

Post by charulata » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 am

As always, really questionable casting choices esp with that one ugly bitchface that shows up multiple times but other than that, it's gorgeous. Especially love the long shot of the man and the dog that get enveloped in red light on and off by the fireworks..
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey, look! We finally finished our pirate music video! D:

[vimeo]100832209[/vimeo]

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Birdie Num Nums

Post by Birdie Num Nums » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I don't take as many photos on set as I'd like to, but this setup was too cool to not take a moment to appreciate. Got to ride around on it and pull focus.

DaiKamonohashi

Re: LET'S MAKE MOVIES! UNTIL WE CAN'T FEEL FEELINGS ANYMORE

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm

So here's a short film our team made for Atlanta's 69 Hour Film Festival a couple of weeks ago. Birdie DP'd it, I built the hero prop for it, and our team tied for second place out of 20 total shorts!

[vimeo]111989217[/vimeo]

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Gort

Post by Gort » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 am

Couldn't think of another thread to make fun of myself in, so:

I had to laugh at myself when I reacted to the price of the NikonD750 camera body just tonight.

I once paid 10 times that amount for a video camera, but it included glass, and it was not the best available at the time, and it was only SD resolution, because production was done in SD in 1989.

That's why I laughed. You young peeps are so lucky in terms of the cost of equipment. You can get Red cameras for less than I paid for that nice little 3CCD Sony camera back then. And the DSLRs make beautiful motion images, with a resolution the best cameras couldn't match back in the day. With an innate coherence that only a $10K time-base correcter could approach (and only approach) with videotape.

But that falling cost curve led to this: when I first started my production company full-time in Memphis in 1982, there were 3 video production companies in the phone directory (including my brand-new one). 23 years later when I bowed out, there were 67 listings. The 3 listings were for people with a substantial equipment investment who were in it full-time. Most of the 67 were only operating on the side with less money tied up. Probably trying to lose money to ease their salary tax burden. :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Yeah, I DEFINITELY don't take the price reduction for granted. I don't think I would have gotten into filmmaking in the first place if not for the digital revolution. Maybe I would have eventually gotten into special effects? But I didn't start experimenting with miniatures until I'd already made several amateur films, so who knows.

BUT SPEAKING OF MINIATURES, we finally released our MADCAP GIANT ROBOT HOLIDAY MOVIE, NIVIS EX MACHINA. Like, two years after we shot it. And five years after we wrote it. WELL NOW IT'S HERE!

[vimeo]114939728[/vimeo]

It is the story of a warm holiday gathering of friends, which erupts into a domestic dispute that quickly spirals out of control. Oh, right, and there's a giant robot. Small detail.

Directed by yours truly, lensed by Birdie, featuring the vocal talents of famed dubbing voice actor, Ted Thomas (Godzilla vs. Gigan), and brought to life with 99.9% practical effects work, we hope you will enjoy watching NIVIS EX MACHINA as much as we enjoyed creating it! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Some BTS photos from the miniature shoots for Nivis:

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Really dug the miniature snowfall!
Oh, not in the same way as most people dig snowfall, you know...uhm...I dug it, man. That "man" makes the meaning clear. Right? :D

The Future Unreels
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 am

I appreciate it! We dusted the set and the robot with corn starch and then the snow falling in front of it was potato flakes shot in front of a black sheet and composited on top. Turned out really nice! :D

-Eiji Tsuburaya
DaiKamonohashi

Post by DaiKamonohashi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:44 am

So I finally put together a miniature effects reel. Check it out.

[vimeo]120988634[/vimeo]

-Eiji Tsuburaya
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 am

OMG GIANT SANTA ROBOT?!?

:D

Loved everything about that video. You are doing god's work, Dai.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 pm

So my BF made a found-footage style documentary about a minor youtube celeb.

https://beyondtheredroom.wordpress.com/ ... -monomyth/
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger