Oh, how I miss those sweet summer nights...

Free and open discussion of anything that may or may not need discussing.
LEAVES

Oh, how I miss those sweet summer nights...

Post by LEAVES » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 am

Gather around everyone. This is a special time, for all of us. A time where we have all banded together to form a new... a new place where we did the exact same stuff we did at the old place. Everything here feels fresh, new, and exciting, but we should not forget where we came from, because if we do, those memories will come back to haunt us unless we keep them alive and in constant dialogue with the present. That is why I have created this thread, to preserve all those fond memories of the things at RT which we could not bring with us, but which we don't want to leave behind. Please join me in taking a small step back to ensure that our steps forward will not be tripped up by any dangling limbs scattered about the path ahead, be they dragged there by stray dogs or very large rats or whatever it is that scavenges and scatters human limbs these days...
LEAVES

Re: Oh, how I miss those sweet summer nights...

Post by LEAVES » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 am

I've got nothing, actually.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 am

It'll be ok.
Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 am

I miss that joyous moment when I'd be scrolling down a page, only to be encountered by 40 .gif avatars in a row, and that spinning rainbow circle that represents my Mac telling me, "Whoa, cool your jets a minute and wait for me to catch up" would appear, and it'd stick around for about a minute.

And I miss all the threads about boobs. Everyone knows I love a good "boobs" thread.
Eva

Post by Eva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:15 am

I miss some things. I don't miss a lot!
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 am

I don't miss the all the 'productive film discussion' about Dark Knight, or Star Wars, or Kubrick ad nauseam.

Boy, RT was a productive film mecca now that I think of it.

And I miss all the threads about boobs. Everyone knows I love a good "boobs" thread.

You know what I miss? A good 'is this actress a cow or a babe?', those were always such great, life affirming experiences in unrealistic expectations and at times, misogyny.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 am

Remember the "good old days" with fondness, and a soft hue of familiarity. Remember the cascading laughter in chorus with the crickets on the warm summer nights. Oh, summer dreams on dry winter mornings. I miss you all.

Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:I don't miss the all the 'productive film discussion' about Dark Knight, or Star Wars, or Kubrick ad nauseam.

You know what I miss? A good 'is this actress a cow or a babe?', those were always such great, life affirming experiences in unrealistic expectations and at times, misogyny.

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I'll always have fond memories of the "Is Lady Gaga Sexy?" thread that grew to a massive 10 pages or so. It's as if RT was always stuck in that episode of "The Office" where they spend an entire work day debating whether or not Hilary Swank is hot.
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 am

Who's in charge of the firewood?
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:I don't miss the all the 'productive film discussion' about Dark Knight, or Star Wars, or Kubrick ad nauseam.

errrrrr
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

Leera wrote:Yeah, I was going to say that too. I'll always have fond memories of the "Is Lady Gaga Sexy?" thread that grew to a massive 10 pages or so. It's as if RT was always stuck in that episode of "The Office" where they spend an entire work day debating whether or not Hilary Swank is hot.

I think I was too jaded by that point.

The Maggie Gyllenhaal ones really brought out the best in RT's crop of teenage virgin boys.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 am

I missed RT until I started checking the Board's front page and realizing with all of us gone, the number of new threads going up per day has severely decreased. Less variety of topics now.
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 am

strykes wrote:
errrrrr

Yes?
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:Yes?

Well, not a big deal or anything, but I would rarely describe RT as misogynistic. More like horny.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

strykes wrote:
Well, not a big deal or anything, but I would rarely describe RT as misogynistic. More like horny.

Sometimes it's the same thing.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 am

Von Samuel wrote:Sometimes it's the same thing.

This is true, but I think misogyny should have a slight leeway when horniness is involved. I mean, we guys don't really mean it usually when we are... excited.

*Waits for onslaught*
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 am

strykes wrote:

RT was horny, yes.

It was also extremely boorish on occasion. I'm sorry, but when someone compares a woman's face to that of a dog, that's something they can only get away with on the internet and between friends. In either context, it's misogynistic to a degree, in my personal experience, to a rather harsh one.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 am

strykes wrote:
This is true, but I think misogyny should have a slight leeway when horniness is involved. I mean, we guys don't really mean it usually when we are... excited.

*Waits for onslaught*

I'm so horny, I wish there was a woman here to cook me dinner, and ask for an allowance of my hard earned money that I, as the rightful bread winner, am gracious enough to give. Then I'll slowly strip off her kitchen apron, and say something hot like "you've been slaving in that hot, sweaty kitchen cooking me dinner, you should sit down, relax and give me a foot massage." Then I'd make her put some makeup on and scrub the kitchen floor while I watch the ball game. Yeah, so hot.
Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 am

strykes wrote:

I'm assuming you're a guy? Trust me, that place has a tendency to be misogynistic. Objectifying women to that extent reeks of sexism, to me, anyway. I mean, it's okay to find someone hot, but when that's all you have to say about them, and when people can honestly go back and forth about it for pages and pages (and weeks and weeks), then it really toes that line.
Eva

Post by Eva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 am

I'm pretty happy that I wasn't born in the 1930s.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:RT was horny, yes.

It was also extremely boorish on occasion. I'm sorry, but when someone compares a woman's face to that of a dog, that's something they can only get away with on the internet and between friends. In either contexts, it's misogynistic to a degree, in my personal experience, to a rather harsh one.

That may be considered misogynistic, or more like superficial and mean-spirited, depending. I mean, I have NEVER said something like that, as far as I can remember. I just usually keep my trap shut when I see an unappealing female. Especially on the internet.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 am

Eva wrote:I'm pretty happy that I wasn't born in the 1950s.

We'd all be deviants.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 am

Von Samuel wrote:I'm so horny, I wish there was a woman here to cook me dinner, and ask for an allowance of my hard earned money that I, as the rightful bread winner, am gracious enough to give. Then I'll slowly strip off her kitchen apron, and say something hot like "you've been slaving in that hot, sweaty kitchen cooking me dinner, you should sit down, relax and give me a foot massage." Then I'd make her put some makeup on and scrub the kitchen floor while I watch the ball game. Yeah, so hot.

I did say 'slight leeway', you know.
Lord Morph

Post by Lord Morph » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am

strykes wrote:That may be considered misogynistic, or more like superficial and mean-spirited, depending. I mean, I have NEVER said something like that, as far as I can remember. I just usually keep my trap shut when I see an unappealing female. Especially on the internet.

Not me :D :P
Latest:
Meek's Cutoff

Web of Insanity!(Updated 5-16-11)
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am

Just forget I said anything, I just try not to judge people.
Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 am

Plus, there was also the constant, "What's the deal with women?" thing there. "What's the deal with women? Seriously, none of them want to jump my bones. Clearly it's all their fault that they don't find me attractive or compatible for them. Man, all women go for douchebags."
Eva

Post by Eva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 am

Von Samuel wrote:We'd all be deviants.

I meant 30s, I changed it. Life for most people in the states were peaceful,conformist, and so monotonous/repetitive in the 50s. People were stuck in social roles.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 am

Leera wrote:I'm assuming you're a guy? Trust me, that place has a tendency to be misogynistic. Objectifying women to that extent reeks of sexism, to me, anyway. I mean, it's okay to find someone hot, but when that's all you have to say about them, and when people can honestly go back and forth about it for pages and pages (and weeks and weeks), then it really toes that line.

Just because I am a guy doesn't mean I don't know misogyny when I see it. My sister is a Femi-Nazi (Thinks women are way better human beings than men in every single way), so I can spot sexism against a woman a thousand miles way.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 am

Leera wrote:Plus, there was also the constant, "What's the deal with women?" thing there. "What's the deal with women? Seriously, none of them want to jump my bones. Clearly it's all their fault that they don't find me attractive or compatible for them. Man, all women go for douchebags."

Well, I am a nice guy, and I have never gotten any action. Women see nothing in me, but I still really respect them a ton. A freaking miracle I feel that way.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 am

Eva wrote:
I meant 30s, I changed it. Life for most people in the states were peaceful,conformist, and so monotonous/repetitive in the 50s. People were stuck in social roles.

We'd still be deviants.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 am

Leera wrote:Plus, there was also the constant, "What's the deal with women?" thing there. "What's the deal with women? Seriously, none of them want to jump my bones. Clearly it's all their fault that they don't find me attractive or compatible for them. Man, all women go for douchebags."

:fresh:

lol men
Eva

Post by Eva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 am

Von Samuel wrote:We'd still be deviants.

Deviants bout' to implode
Neclord

Post by Neclord » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 am

I miss the anonymous tag sniping. That brought a lot to the board. Didn't it? Yeah.
Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 am

strykes wrote:
Just because I am a guy doesn't mean I don't know misogyny when I see it. My sister is a Femi-Nazi (Thinks women are way better human beings than men in every single way), so I can spot sexism against a woman a thousand miles way.

Yeah, and I have black friends, but that still doesn't mean that I feel like I'm able to go around saying what's racist towards black people and what's not. Besides, whether or not I perceive something to be misogynistic is sometimes an objective phenomenon, and I personally was quite frequently offended by the behemoth threads debating some actress's "hotness." Not that it's inherently wrong to talk about who's hot or who's not, but oftentimes those threads were chock-full of mean-spirited hyperbole aimed at someone that almost no one on RT would ever meet.
Leera

Post by Leera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 am

strykes wrote:
Well, I am a nice guy, and I have never gotten any action. Women see nothing in me, but I still really respect them a ton. A freaking miracle I feel that way.

Well, I'm a nice girl who actually has a lot of similar interests with a lot of guys, and I've never so much as been on a real date, so it's a two-way street. I am, however, able to realize that some of this is partly my own fault.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 am

This is now the worst thread on this forum. Stop complaining, people!

Love.
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:55 am

Neclord wrote:I miss the anonymous tag sniping. That brought a lot to the board. Didn't it? Yeah.

I loved doing that every once and a while to be perfectly honest.
Eva

Post by Eva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:56 am

leafy you.. saboteur, you!
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 am

Leera wrote:Yeah, and I have black friends, but that still doesn't mean that I feel like I'm able to go around saying what's racist towards black people and what's not. Besides, whether or not I perceive something to be misogynistic is sometimes an objective phenomenon, and I personally was quite frequently offended by the behemoth threads debating some actress's "hotness." Not that it's inherently wrong to talk about who's hot or who's not, but oftentimes those threads were chock-full of mean-spirited hyperbole aimed at someone that almost no one on RT would ever meet.

Well, it's not okay to say negative things like that in a public arena about someone's appearance. I agree with you there. I just caution people against throwing words like 'misogynist' around when for all we know these men posting these things could be making sweet passionate love to their girlfriends/wives right now.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 am

The simple ones are attracted to sexism.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 am

Leera wrote:Well, I'm a nice girl who actually has a lot of similar interests with a lot of guys, and I've never so much as been on a real date, so it's a two-way street. I am, however, able to realize that some of this is partly my own fault.

Yeah, it's crazy like that, isn't it? I have had plenty of similar interests with girls over the years, but I guess it's not enough for them.
Das

Post by Das » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:59 am

strykes wrote:
Well, it's not okay to say negative things like that in a public arena about someone's appearance. I agree with you there. I just caution people against throwing words like 'misogynist' around when for all we know these men posting these things could be making sweet passionate love to their girlfriends/wives right now.

A mask doesn't hide you from guilt - it just makes it harder for you to blame by anyone one might care about it.
ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

there are a few posters i miss that need to make the jump. like runawayrunaway and panthro. and sly. and maybe even jules.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

Eva wrote:leafy you.. saboteur, you!
This thread was serving its purpose empty. Now it just has all kinds of insults. Where were these when we were there? I was mocking the specific people these insults are aimed at every day for their ludicrous behavior! This monday morning quarterbacking has got to stop.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

ledfloyd wrote:there are a few posters i miss that need to make the jump. like runawayrunaway and panthro. and sly. and maybe even jules.

Sly registered.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:A mask doesn't hide you from guilt - it just makes it harder for you to blame by anyone one might care about it.

Of course it doesn't hide guilt.

I don't really disagree with anyone's principles in this thread, I just want to make that clear.
Neclord

Post by Neclord » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:I loved doing that every once and a while to be perfectly honest.

Make no mistake, so did, and do, I. But never too venomously.
strykes

Post by strykes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 am

ledfloyd wrote:there are a few posters i miss that need to make the jump. like runawayrunaway and panthro. and sly. and maybe even jules.

He'll never come here. Doesn't he hate IYPC people?
Lord Morph

Post by Lord Morph » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:03 am

panthro's here.
Latest:
Meek's Cutoff

Web of Insanity!(Updated 5-16-11)