Sport

Discuss anything you want.
Evil Prevails

Re: Sport

Post by Evil Prevails » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:40 am

B-Side wrote:
Something over there clearly needs to change, so this is good news, it seems. Granted, I'm not familiar enough with the organization to have a strong opinion, but I know there's talent on that team that seems to be criminally underutilized.
McDavid will be the fourth first overall we have gotten in ... 6 years I think? It's basically criminal what has been allowed to happen because the guys running the show won cups with Gretzky and are best friends with our reclusive billionaire owner. I'm excited for Chiarelli to build us an actual hockey team.
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 am

Don't get your hopes up. Chiarelli will trade McDavid for a second liner and two borderline NHLers when he stays out past his bed time.
Das

Post by Das » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:22 am

Felix Hernandex pitched a beauty tonight, with Talijuan Walker's much better start last time, I'm hoping the Mariners are out of the woods with uncharacteristically shaky pitching. Also Nelson Cruz continues to be a monstrous hitter, that kind of home run capability isn't something Seattle's used to seeing on their side of plate since the Griffey years.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 am

TheAsianSensation wrote: wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SS Russell
3B Castro
RF Soler
LF Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Schwarber
2B Baez
OF Almora
SuperSub Alcantara

IT'S HAPPENING
That lineup is beastly. So good.

Now for some pitching. WTF Lester. Poor Arrieta is out there all by himself.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
James Ford

Post by James Ford » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:32 am

Das wrote:Felix Hernandex pitched a beauty tonight, with Talijuan Walker's much better start last time, I'm hoping the Mariners are out of the woods with uncharacteristically shaky pitching. Also Nelson Cruz continues to be a monstrous hitter, that kind of home run capability isn't something Seattle's used to seeing on their side of plate since the Griffey years.
Still dropped a series at home to the Twins. :D
Marktime

Post by Marktime » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:34 am

James Ford wrote:Still dropped a series at home to the Twins. :D
Mariners gonna Mariner.
Das

Post by Das » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Marktime wrote:Mariners gonna Mariner.
Yep.

Last season our toughest AL west opponent throughout the year was.. the Astros.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed May 06, 2015 10:22 pm

The Wells report is out, and it is amazing.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed May 06, 2015 10:33 pm

The Pats must have forgot to cheat when they got blown out by KC last season.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Thu May 07, 2015 12:18 am

It's kind of funny that the most damning thing in it is that referees apparently overinflate balls, to as high as 16 PSI.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sat May 09, 2015 12:05 am

Babcock is allowed to talk to other teams now. He's not coming back. I'm OK with that. If the Bruins fire Julien, we should snatch him up. I'd be fine with McLellan, too. Blashill isn't leaving Grand Rapids right now, so we're gonna have to pick from the veteran free agents or gamble on a rookie. I don't see the latter happening.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
Andrew Ryan

Post by Andrew Ryan » Sat May 09, 2015 5:19 am

Patriot's / Colt's game next season has to be a game of the year. I think the Patriot's will go for 70.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat May 09, 2015 6:22 am

Brady won't get more than half a season I think.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Sun May 10, 2015 7:03 pm

I think the whole deflate-gate thing is hilariously absurd. It brings to mind shades of the George Brett pine tar incident. Brady shouldn't get anything more than a light fine.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 am

I think it's pretty serious stuff.

I mean, if quarterbacks are allowed to manipulate the footballs they use in the game prior to the game, what other kinds of competitive imbalances are they going to allow?

Wait, what do you mean quarterbacks are allowed to manipulate the footballs they use in the game?

No, but, seriously, air pressure is a big deal. One time I played with a football that was less inflated than the ball I typically played with and by the end of the game multiple NFL scouts had flown in to watch. And I was only 12 at the time. It's a big deal.
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Mon May 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Honestly, the crowd noise thing Atlanta was caught doing was a much bigger deal, and that got like a few hours of coverage.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 pm

4 games and next year's first round pick.

lol
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:4 games and next year's first round pick.

lol
This is better than my birthday and Christmas morning all rolled into one.

Also, this is belated punishment for Spygate. And it's about bloody time if you ask me.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote: This is better than my birthday and Christmas morning all rolled into one.

Also, this is belated punishment for Spygate. And it's about bloody time if you ask me.
If it doesn't get lessened on appeal (which it prolly will, I'm betting 2 games when it all shakes out), then he'll be back just in time for Sunday Night Football at Lucas Oil. The Over/Under on just the Pats points will be 60.
Das

Post by Das » Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:Honestly, the crowd noise thing Atlanta was caught doing was a much bigger deal, and that got like a few hours of coverage.
Unfortunately the nfl, in its infinite wisdom doesn't really care about proportion, just making it look like they're being 'tough' on the patriots..

Remember, this is the organization that's position on domestic abuse was essentially 'ehhhhhh can you keep it down over there' until they got caught red-handed not taking it seriously, then they rolled out like, 5 ads strongly disowning something they'd been content to mostly overlook for decades.
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm

It's not like the Pats even need Brady to beat the Colts. All they need is a running back--any running back. We can't stop them.
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue May 12, 2015 12:05 am

The suspension was expected, but what's the justification for taking away a first-round pick and another pick? There's no way that stands up if the Patriots appeal it.

How funny would it be if they just refuse to play the first four games, take their 0-4 and win out the rest of the way?
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Tue May 12, 2015 1:30 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:How funny would it be if they just refuse to play the first four games, take their 0-4 and win out the rest of the way?
Man, Pats fans are silly.
James Ford

Post by James Ford » Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote: How funny would it be if they just refuse to play the first four games, take their 0-4 and win out the rest of the way?
You think they're good enough to do that?
undinum

Post by undinum » Tue May 12, 2015 3:11 am

Can confirm they won't. I've already re-negotiated Brother Bill's infernal contract, like, six times, and the damn thing looks like a date due card...
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 am

James Ford wrote:You think they're good enough to do that?
No, lol

I think they were a 12-4 team even before the Brady suspension
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Nice job NFL, take a nebulous report on a pretty trivial matter of gamesmanship and turn it into a four game suspension of your biggest star coming off a Super Bowl win. Is it hubris or stupidity that caused this decision?
The Great One

Post by The Great One » Tue May 12, 2015 4:40 pm

I don't see how the NFL is possibly not going to have Brady play that Cowboys game. It's all about the almighty dollar after all.
All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'vette and a house in the country.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."
James Ford

Post by James Ford » Tue May 12, 2015 4:43 pm

The Great One wrote:I don't see how the NFL is possibly not going to have Brady play that Cowboys game. It's all about the almighty dollar after all.
Tom Brady isn't a big enough star to move the needle that much on a single game. A Jags-Titans Monday Night Football Game out rated a World Series game a few years ago...
The Great One

Post by The Great One » Tue May 12, 2015 8:15 pm

James Ford wrote: Tom Brady isn't a big enough star to move the needle that much on a single game. A Jags-Titans Monday Night Football Game out rated a World Series game a few years ago...
I'm talking about it more from a hype perspective than the game's ratings perspective. I mean, when the schedule was released, this was the most anticipated game on a lot of analysts lists, and without Brady the excitement level and publicity leading up to it certainly takes a hit.

Then again, him returning for the Colts game may just be about as perfect a publicity opportunity for the media-saturated world we live in as any, so either way, its a win for the NFL.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue May 12, 2015 10:47 pm

I highly doubt this is going to be a win for the NFL. A four-game suspension and the removal of a first-round draft pick is going to set a precedent going forward that most owners and the NFLPA won't like. Even if Brady weren't fighting it on his own, the NFLPA would be.

I still think Goodell loses his job over this, in the end
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed May 13, 2015 1:42 am

The Patriots cheated. Knowingly. Under-inflated footballs are easier to catch and smaller in the hands. The science is in. They should have gotten much worse than Brady's little slap on the wrist.

| letterboxd
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 am

B-Side wrote:The Patriots cheated. Knowingly. Under-inflated footballs are easier to catch and smaller in the hands. The science is in. They should have gotten much worse than Brady's little slap on the wrist.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/12/ted-wells ... -patriots/

Check out the Michael Lopez sidebar article.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed May 13, 2015 6:26 am

B-Side wrote:The Patriots cheated. Knowingly. Under-inflated footballs are easier to catch and smaller in the hands. The science is in. They should have gotten much worse than Brady's little slap on the wrist.
That article has exactly 0 science in it. Under inflated balls are typically much harder to throw and catch, in my experience, because over-depressing the ball means that the ball slides out of your typical grip, it fluctuates more upon release, and it makes the receiver catch the ball way more softly, which is really hard to do on most routes. The only major benefit is that runners fumble less. That's it.
Andrew Ryan

Post by Andrew Ryan » Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Von Samuel wrote:Nice job NFL, take a nebulous report on a pretty trivial matter of gamesmanship and turn it into a four game suspension of your biggest star coming off a Super Bowl win. Is it hubris or stupidity that caused this decision?
Yep. I think this is the end for Goodell. Having Troy Vincent has any part of this is a huge red flag since he was investigated by the FBI for collusion with Goodell a few years back.

The appeal will eviscerate the Wells Report, I'm not worried about Brady even missing one game. I'm more interested in what Kraft does to fight the docking of draft picks. Thursday is the deadline.
James Ford

Post by James Ford » Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

I have a question regarding Kraft. If he thinks the Pats are completely innocent in this ordeal, then why did he have the ball boys/equipment managers suspended?
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed May 13, 2015 8:35 pm

James Ford wrote:I have a question regarding Kraft. If he thinks the Pats are completely innocent in this ordeal, then why did he have the ball boys/equipment managers suspended?
If we go by the texts alone (and that's what the whole case is based on), they were "probably" suspended because they were altering practice balls just to fuck with Brady, who ripped into them (or at least one of them) for not getting the refs to keep game balls at his preferred PSI
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Andrew Ryan wrote:I'm not worried about Brady even missing one game
I will take all the action I can get on this bet.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu May 14, 2015 5:43 am

The Pats could still go 2-2 at least during the suspension if it's upheld. Also don't give me and many fans false hope that Goodell gets canned.
Shitty Film Thread
Andrew Ryan

Post by Andrew Ryan » Thu May 14, 2015 7:45 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
I will take all the action I can get on this bet.
Okay, lets bet. The appeal will be filed tomorrow and Kessler is running the show (he overturned Adrian Peterson's ruling). There is 4 months until the season, which is plenty of time to fix this debacle. So if Goodell likely declines independent arbitration, Kessler can always appeal that if they lose, and go outside the NFL, where the Wells Report will fall apart.

Again, the real interest is what Robert Kraft does based off of his rather hostile response.
James Ford

Post by James Ford » Thu May 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Before Wells Report: Robert Kraft "We will accept what comes to us."
After punishment: Robert Kraft "Whoaaaaaaa, we will FIGHT THIS!"
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Fri May 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/12/ted-wells ... -patriots/

Check out the Michael Lopez sidebar article.
I don't really understand how that discredits the Wells report. If one of the Colts' balls' numbers were misrecorded, that wouldn't change what happened with the Patriots' balls. Draw a line through the recordings and you've got a decidedly lopsided graph. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

| letterboxd
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Hey Fifa's corrupt, I for one, am shocked.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri May 29, 2015 4:45 am

Evil Prevails wrote:Hey Fifa's corrupt, I for one, am shocked.
Heh.

Also Warriors in 6.
Shitty Film Thread
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sun May 31, 2015 5:28 am

Watching my recording of the Blackhawks/Ducks game 7. If I'm forced to watch a Blackhawks/Lightning Stanley Cup final, I'm not gonna be happy. But since the Ducks are currently down 3-0, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's exactly what I'm in for. I hope the Lightning win.

| letterboxd
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sun May 31, 2015 9:05 pm

B-Side wrote:I hope the Lightning win.
Stanley Cup Finals and anything can happen.

But that's not going to happen. Fuckin' Toews is literally an unstoppable hockey robot from the future.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:31 am

Blackhawks are crazy good, but I'm bored with them. The Lightning are gonna wreak havoc on Crawford. The Lightning block shots like mad, so Bishop should have a slightly easier time in net.

| letterboxd
The Great One

Post by The Great One » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 pm

That ending to the Blackhawks/Ducks series was depressing after how amazing that series was.

But yeah, Go Lightning!

And of course, Go Warriors!

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:32 pm

[vine]eMQm9dEb5AB[/vine]
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 am

This NBA Finals has been great so far despite the usual awful ref calls or lack thereof. Curry needs to step up his game more and James has been unreal.
Shitty Film Thread