The New Criterion Releases Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: The New Criterion Releases Thread

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Okay, thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely look into it.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Barnes & Noble has a 50% off sale. Now's your chance to pick up Salo for cheap.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Torgo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Anyone who didn't already buy Salo for cheap at one of these sales isn't a true Criterion collector. #gatekeeping4eva
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm

A treat for the whole family that Salo
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 pm
I went overboard last time, so this time I may only pick up a couple.

Or at least 6, probably.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

what do you guys think the #1000 Criterion release will be?

I'm gonna wager that it will be something with "Grand" in the title.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

It's probably going to be something really great such as The Garbage Pail Kids or Birdemic.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Grand Hotel
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Grand Canyon
Grand Prix
Grand Piano
The Grand Seduction
Rio Grande
Dirty Grandpa

Any of those would be fine with me.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 am

I'm doing a comparison between the Shout Factory Blu of Police Story and the new Criterion release. It's like the difference between a DVD and 4k despite both being the same Blu-ray format. Upgrading to a Criterion is never the wrong call.

Off to compare my Blue Velvet Blu and Criterion.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:13 pm

new releases for October

October 08 - 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (upgrade)*
October 15 - Haxan by Benjamin Christensen (upgrade)
October 22 - When We Were Kings by Leon Gast
October 29 - Matewan by John Sayles

*includes Underworld, The Last Command, and The Docks of New York

#1000 will be announced next week
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Of those, Haxan is the only certain buy. The Sternberg set is intriguing but I have the feeling like the Dietrich set, will be priced just high enough to give me pause and grab something of greater interest.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:52 pm

When We Were Kings is an awesome doc.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 pm
Of those, Haxan is the only certain buy.
Having perused the bonus features, I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be anything besides what was already on the DVD. I'll still get it just for the new scan, though.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 pm
Having perused the bonus features, I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be anything besides what was already on the DVD. I'll still get it just for the new scan, though.
If I had the DVD I would be more apprehensive but I've only seen the Burroughs version streaming so that jumps it up quite a bit.

Now that I've gotten a 4k set up, my appreciation for Criterion blu Ray has grown tremendously, even with it already at inflated heights. Some of these transfers, when upscaled through the UHD player, can go toe to toe with the majority of my 4K blu rays. Tree of Life and Barry Lyndon look better than the majority of what I have in 4K and only the upper crust of 4k Blu like Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 have handedly beat them.

So, in my long winded fashion, my nearly forgotten point is that Criterion puts so much effort that the transfer is often enough of a selling point for me.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:52 pm
When We Were Kings is an awesome doc.
This
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm
I
So, in my long winded fashion, my nearly forgotten point is that Criterion puts so much effort that the transfer is often enough of a selling point for me.
Definitely. It's funny, Criterion's Haxan was one of the first DVDs I ever bought back in the day, and it was pretty much the one that opened my eyes to how good films of this age can look. I remember being flabbergasted that I could see the pores on people's faces in close ups. So I'm looking forward to this 2K scan.

Bought The Kid last month and when you realize that the film is 98 years old, the quality really is incredible.

PS--The Ali doc is indeed a good one, for those who haven't seen it. I just wouldn't rewatch it often enough to merit a $40 purchase.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 pm

This Do the Right Thing release is amazing.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Spine #984 is, appropriately, Michael Radford's 1984.
It's a movie that gets the job done, is what it is, good for what it is, etc. I'd prefer to watch Brazil.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Time to sell all my sets before they become worth nothing.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm

as someone without much appreciation (or exposure) to these types of movies, why I should I become a Godzilla fan? no wrong answers
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm
as someone without much appreciation (or exposure) to these types of movies, why I should I become a Godzilla fan? no wrong answers
There's hardly a franchise with more ingenuity and charm than Godzilla. The imagination and skill needed to pull off these now antiquated but extremely important effects is something that everyone should appreciate.

Some of them are thematically brilliant, especially the first film. Others are just camp masterpieces of pure eye candy fun, like Invasion of Astro-Monster.

It's also the flagship franchise in one of the most successful cinematic universes of all time and forms a direct line to the MCU.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Time to sell all my sets before they become worth nothing.
Exactly my thoughts. I never got around to Criterion's Gojira, so I'm not double-dipping there, at least.
Good thing about being single is that nobody cares if I spend money on stuff like this. So leave me alone until at least November, ladies! :P
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Exactly my thoughts. I never got around to Criterion's Gojira, so I'm not double-dipping there, at least.
Good thing about being single is that nobody cares if I spend money on stuff like this. So leave me alone until at least November, ladies! :P
Oh, it's a double dip for me plus selling an OOP collection that's about to plummet in worth and a half dozen Blu Rays. I've never been so irritated and excited at the same time.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Is it this one? This is the one I have, didn't realize it's OOP.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:51 pm

That's the one!
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Already pre-ordered. This is a dream come true as for the first time ever this set will include the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla. Universal has never allowed that version to be distributed in the West before. Other bonuses are Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla which have been OOP for over a decade. I hope the masters for the films that don’t previously have HD released look good.

I was not aware you also collected these movies, MKS. Lol
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 pm
Already pre-ordered. This is a dream come true as for the first time ever this set will include the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla. Universal has never allowed that version to be distributed in the West before. Other bonuses are Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla which have been OOP for over a decade. I hope the masters for the films that don’t previously have HD released look good.

I was not aware you also collected these movies, MKS. Lol
Hilariously, I just got a copy of GvM (hadn’t seen it since the days of VHS) for $20 and felt like it was a steal. Thinking about popping all of mine on on eBay right now. The only one I don’t have is Son of Godzilla.

Given the treatment that they gave Godzilla, Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub (and every other movie in the collection), I have full faith that this will be the best any Godzilla film has ever looked.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm

I’ve seen some dissent on other places online that not only is this set not worth the hype of being spine 1000 but also that most of the movies in the set are “undeserving” of the label and that bums me out. I think each movie in the set is of cultural significance to where Japan itself was at the time of the film’s release and even the “bad” ones are important to the bigger picture of understanding what the franchise is.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm
I’ve seen some dissent on other places online that not only is this set not worth the hype of being spine 1000 but also that most of the movies in the set are “undeserving” of the label and that bums me out. I think each movie in the set is of cultural significance to where Japan itself was at the time of the film’s release and even the “bad” ones are important to the bigger picture of understanding what the franchise is.
I admit I was expecting something more high-brow for #1000, and was hoping for some sort of upgrade to the Eisenstein set, which is approaching 20 years old. (Although I guess that wouldn't have gotten a new spine number anyway?)
But I never expected to see a set like this from any distributor, let alone Criterion, so I'm a little flabbergasted at my (our) good fortune.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
That’s always going to happen due to the breadth of cinema that Criterion respects and covers. I’ve definitely encountered people that have a very rigid appreciation of art cinema and if it isn’t by Tarkovsky, Resnais or Bergman, there’s a sneer of dissent at it being lesser cinema. I’m sure they voiced similar contempt to Zatoichi, Lone Wolf and Cub, Lady Snowblood and any of the other cult-y Japanese films that don’t fit into the higher art framework of Ozu, Kobayashi, Oshima or Kurosawa.

But it’s sets like this that make me love Criterion so much as it shows their dedication world cinema beyond the pin-hole that many cinephiles view it from.

That said, I think the criticism is in the minority. I see TONS of excitement on FB, Twitter and Instagram on a level I’ve never seen for a Criterion release and it honestly makes me nervous that I won’t be able to get one unless I pre-order. I want to... but I’d also much prefer to get it during the November half off sale...
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:45 pm
I admit I was expecting something more high-brow for #1000, and was hoping for some sort of upgrade to the Eisenstein set, which is approaching 20 years old. (Although I guess that wouldn't have gotten a new spine number anyway?)
But I never expected to see a set like this from any distributor, let alone Criterion, so I'm a little flabbergasted at my (our) good fortune.
It was my #1 prediction when I and a fellow collector were discussing what the 1000 title could be. They’ve had the rights for streaming for a really long time and it just seemed like they were waiting for something big to pull the trigger.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm
it honestly makes me nervous that I won’t be able to get one unless I pre-order. I want to... but I’d also much prefer to get it during the November half off sale...
Is it limited? I haven't seen anything about that. I just blew my budget on a massive music set, so I was hoping this could be a Christmas purchase.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 pm
Is it limited? I haven't seen anything about that. I just blew my budget on a massive music set, so I was hoping this could be a Christmas purchase.
I don’t think it’s limited but for instance, the Bergman set went on back order after a weekend of availability and wasn’t available until well after the sale ended (came back in stock in February) and while I haven’t gotten a close look at the set that rereleased, like the Zatoichi set, it appears to be a much smaller, less impressive edition. So it may still technically in print but the original version may disappear. It’s happened a few times with their digibook releases too (looking at you Night of the Hunter).

There’s no concrete evidence that this will happen but given its strong anticipation and positivity, my collector alert level is high.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 pm
It’s very difficult to determine how limited this release is. I imagine it will remain in print for as long as they have the license to print it, not some limited edition type thing. It might just be hard to get on Release and pre-orders help them understand General demand. The problem is getting the rights to all of these films was a Herculean achievement. The rights have been spread across New World, UPA, AIP, Universal International, Kraken Releasing, Sony, Classic Media, etc. To Frankenstein all of these agreements together makes the prospect of how many years it is in print dubious. The fact that they were able to convince Universal to allow them to release the Japanese cut of KKvG cannot be understated. They have been infamous in their refusal to distribute it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:35 am

A Godzilla box set was probably the last one I expected them to pick for their 1000th title, but I like how they're not afraid to release a bit of fun as opposed to a widely beloved art house classic which we were all expecting.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:37 am

Hipster Thor wrote:
I’ve seen some dissent on other places online that not only is this set not worth the hype of being spine 1000 but also that most of the movies in the set are “undeserving” of the label and that bums me out.
There's only one undeserving Criterion release....
Equinox
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:37 am
There's only one undeserving Criterion release....
Equinox
I thought you were also unhappy about Bowling for Columbine.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am

I would hope there's not too much sneering re: that set, the artwork looks great and the legacy of the films speaks for itself.

Heck, we all survived a Criterion release of Armageddon.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am
I thought you were also unhappy about Bowling for Columbine.
Outside of Roger & Me, I don't care much for Moore. There are a number of films on Criterion that I don't care for, but for most of them I can recognize something of significance to make them worthy. For somebody. Equinox is just trashy sub-Harryhausen/Land of the Lost cheepness that doesn't have the charm of more entertaining schlock from that era. It's the only Criterion that doesn't have any interest whatsoever for me.

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am
Heck, we all survived a Criterion release of Armageddon.
Oh, yeah. Ugh. But they were young and needed the money.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:29 am

As long as we're not knocking their release of The Rock. That's a great fucking movie.

EDIT: I'm glad this got bolded, and I'm hardcoding it.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 am
Outside of Roger & Me, I don't care much for Moore. There are a number of films on Criterion that I don't care for, but for most of them I can recognize something of significance to make them worthy. For somebody. Equinox is just trashy sub-Harryhausen/Land of the Lost cheepness that doesn't have the charm of more entertaining schlock from that era.
Yeah, it's a pretty drab film. Goddamn shame. I've watched it twice and, apart from a few intriguing moments of otherworldly tone/mystery, the flick is less than the sum of its very scattered parts.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 pm
There's hardly a franchise with more ingenuity and charm than Godzilla. The imagination and skill needed to pull off these now antiquated but extremely important effects is something that everyone should appreciate.

Some of them are thematically brilliant, especially the first film. Others are just camp masterpieces of pure eye candy fun, like Invasion of Astro-Monster.

It's also the flagship franchise in one of the most successful cinematic universes of all time and forms a direct line to the MCU.
I know that the first Godzilla was a way for Japan to exorcise its feelings on Hiroshima/Nagasaki, are there any other movies that mirror cultural anxieties in a similar way? just in case I want to enjoy them as historical artifacts.

there's probably something to be said about turning their a-bomb monster into an ally as well.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 am
I know that the first Godzilla was a way for Japan to exorcise its feelings on Hiroshima/Nagasaki, are there any other movies that mirror cultural anxieties in a similar way?

there's probably something to be said about turning their a-bomb monster into an ally as well.
The director of the early films, Ishiro Honda, was a participant in WWII, and actually walked through the ruins of bombed cities. When the war ended and the UN was formed Honda optimistically thought it would solve every major issue the world faced. So many of his science fiction films emphasize the importance of human cooperation between all nations. He really believes in the ideal. Other themes the movies tackle are the dangers of capitalism, and most notably pollution. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is played as a surprisingly graphic ecological horror movie, featuring humans dissolving into skeletons. It’s directed in a surreal style quite unlike any other movie, let alone Godzilla movie. The director on that one is Yoshimitsu Banno. It’s a very psychedelic picture.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 am

I should also note that Godzilla’s Revenge is actually kind of an interesting commentary on the Americanization of Japan and the changing of traditional family roles in a booming period of industrial expansion.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 am

Hipster Thor wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 am
I should also note that Godzilla’s Revenge is actually kind of an interesting commentary on the Americanization of Japan and the changing of traditional family roles in a booming period of industrial expansion.
heh, now I'm thinking about a Godzilla movie done Ozu-style.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 pm
The problem is getting the rights to all of these films was a Herculean achievement. The rights have been spread across New World, UPA, AIP, Universal International, Kraken Releasing, Sony, Classic Media, etc.
Right, this is my main concern. I don't expect it to be in print forever, so I definitely intend to get it within the year. I've just never known Criterion to do a limited/numbered thing before (could be wrong). But like MKS says, my "collector alert" levels are spiking anyway. What the hell- that's why we have credit cards, right? :)
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:58 am

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:22 am

I've had a crappy copy of Betty Blue sitting around my apartment for years and have never watched it, and now Criterion is just giving me more reason to not put on my crappy copy. Urgh.