Do people..

Discuss anything you want.
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Do people..

Post by B-Side » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm

LEAVES wrote:I've never seen you off your death bed, begging for alms. It's like you're a professional alms-begger, but you don't have any money so you must be very poor at it. Try adding google ads to your begging.
Or maybe you misconstrue my attitude a bit? I'm generally rather playful. I try indicating this with an excess of smileys.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
Izzy Black
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Izzy Black » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for derailing my thread guys.
Recent films:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10821
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by MadMan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

I now vote for the thread to be locked. Reason: its boring and lame.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Izzy Black
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Izzy Black » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 am

U mad?
Recent films:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10821
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by MadMan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:41 am

Nope. I'm just joking around.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Do people..

Post by B-Side » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:41 am

Izzy a channer?
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15681
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Do people..

Post by LEAVES » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 am

Coke slalom wrote: Yeah, Northrop Frye really misunderstood and cheapened Blake's form.
Well, he may, in my opinion, I can't really say, but there's a poster here that used to go by the name 'William Blake', so I thought you were referring to him. However, I would probably still disagree with his assessment. I guess that makes me wrong, because Northrop Frye's opinion is the only valid one.

Thanks.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15681
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Do people..

Post by LEAVES » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:33 am

You're a strange person.
User avatar
Bingo Pajamas
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Bingo Pajamas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 am

LEAVES wrote:I've never found a moment in my real life to get emotional about. I dick around and talk about the world. It's all performance art, and I try to make it as funny as I can.
You really are me.
strykes

Re: Do people..

Post by strykes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 am

LEAVES wrote:I've never found a moment in my real life to get emotional about. I dick around and talk about the world. It's all performance art, and I try to make it as funny as I can.
No fucking way. Impossible, unless you have lived the perfect life.
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29799
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:40 am

strykes wrote: No fucking way. Impossible, unless you have lived the perfect life.
...perfect?
User avatar
Philosophe rouge
Posts: 22637
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:40 am

strykes wrote:
No fucking way. Impossible, unless you have lived the perfect life.
If you've lived a perfect life, you'd have moments of beautiful strong happy emotions. A life without emotion, is a miserable one.
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger
strykes

Re: Do people..

Post by strykes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 am

Epistemophobia wrote: ...perfect?
Yes, damn near, at least. To feel emotional is to be alive. My worst fear is to be numb, because I would be dead. Or worst than.
strykes

Re: Do people..

Post by strykes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:44 am

Philosophe rouge wrote: If you've lived a perfect life, you'd have moments of beautiful strong happy emotions. A life without emotion, is a miserable one.
When he said emotional, I saw it as him referring to sadness. I already know he feels plenty of happiness.
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10821
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by MadMan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:59 am

Coke slalom wrote::ugeek:
:geek: is my response.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Izzy Black
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Izzy Black » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 am

MadMan wrote:Nope. I'm just joking around.
No get out.
Recent films:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...
User avatar
Bingo Pajamas
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Bingo Pajamas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 am

strykes wrote:
No fucking way. Impossible, unless you have lived the perfect life.
Never FOUND a moment TO GET.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15681
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Do people..

Post by LEAVES » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 pm

strykes wrote:
No fucking way. Impossible, unless you have lived the perfect life.
Let me settle this, simply.

a.) context: Among friends, no, I don't recall ever having a 'poor me' moment.
b.) life is what you make it

That settles the issue entirely from my point of view. If not from yours, then we probably share extremely different outlooks on life.
User avatar
Nanners
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Nanners » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

No ones been killed yet. I want more chainsaws... Alright that kiiled it.
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10821
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by MadMan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Israfel the Black wrote:
No get out.
Okay.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
JediMoonShyne
Posts: 22424
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:26 am
Location: Cittàgazze
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by JediMoonShyne » Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 am

Ah, good times.
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
User avatar
Beau
Posts: 6196
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Beau » Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Can I cry on your shoulder, Jedi?
User avatar
Derninan
Posts: 7547
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Derninan » Mon May 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Whit Stillman's coming out with another film? This is great news, I guess, although I've never seen a Whit Stillman film, so what do I know? Care to argue that point? I'll prove you wrong.
User avatar
Immaculate
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Slumped over the horizon.

Re: Do people..

Post by Immaculate » Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Derninan wrote:Whit Stillman's coming out with another film? This is great news, I guess, although I've never seen a Whit Stillman film, so what do I know?
I, for one, am excited.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)


Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
...
User avatar
JediMoonShyne
Posts: 22424
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:26 am
Location: Cittàgazze
Contact:

Re: Do people..

Post by JediMoonShyne » Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Beau wrote:Can I cry on your shoulder, Jedi?
Only if you bring the tissues.
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
User avatar
Mean Old Bastard Ed
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Mon May 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:I generally do resent that my opinion is no longer respected.
I ain't payin' you to talk, Toots.
User avatar
Izzy Black
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Izzy Black » Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Whit Stillman is so overrated in being underrated.
Recent films:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...
swan swan h

Re: Do people..

Post by swan swan h » Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Israfel is back! Most cool.
User avatar
Izzy Black
Posts: 2982
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Izzy Black » Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I left? lol
Recent films:

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...
swan swan h

Re: Do people..

Post by swan swan h » Tue May 25, 2010 12:00 am

Israfel the Black wrote:I left? lol
Never see you around. Was looking for some Lithuanian recommendations. I saw three Sharunas Bartas films and liked them all. Three Days, Few Of Us and Corridor.
strykes

Re: Do people..

Post by strykes » Tue May 25, 2010 12:18 am

Ah, this thread. Much joy.

I still don't understand LEAVES' outlook on life and emotions, but still much fun was made here.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15681
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Do people..

Post by LEAVES » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 am

strykes wrote:Ah, this thread. Much joy.

I still don't understand LEAVES' outlook on life and emotions, but still much fun was made here.
'That was a good sandwich.'

vs.

'Oh my god, the sandwich... it was... the bread...

*sob*

the bread!

*sob*

I may never have a sandwich that good again...

*complete breakdown*

that bread...!

*...*'

I don't break down every moment of my life. Life is a series of moments. Fin.
replican
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:51 am

Re: Do people..

Post by replican » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:00 am

MadMan wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 am
Debate is overrated, anyways.
Siskel and Ebert would disagree. Some of the most insightful film criticism I've listened to has been born (borne?) from heated debating.
Melvin Butterworth
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:57 am

replican wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:00 am
Siskel and Ebert would disagree. Some of the most insightful film criticism I've listened to has been born (borne?) from heated debating.
Heated debate has it's place, but it can also burn things down. All too often, the debate begins with some nice insights, but once the lines of battle are established, it is most often less about finding the truth or understanding and anything one can do to not lose, if not "win."
User avatar
IPlayTheBlameGame
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by IPlayTheBlameGame » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:13 pm

Holy thread bumps, Batman!
Asante Sana, Squash Banana
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Do people..

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:57 am
Heated debate has it's place, but it can also burn things down. All too often, the debate begins with some nice insights, but once the lines of battle are established, it is most often less about finding the truth or understanding and anything one can do to not lose, if not "win."
Yeah, that's why I've always been mixed on Siskel and Ebert's talk show. They did have some interesting exchanges back and forth and I sometimes enjoyed hearing the arguments they brought up, but most of the time when they got into disagreements, this aspect would get less and less interesting and you could definitely get the sense that each of them were trying to have the last word in the debate.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Do people..

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 pm
Yeah, that's why I've always been mixed on Siskel and Ebert's talk show. They did have some interesting exchanges back and forth and I sometimes enjoyed hearing the arguments they brought up, but most of the time when they got into disagreements, this aspect would get less and less interesting and you could definitely get the sense that each of them were trying to have the last word in the debate.
This is because it is a fool's errand to think you can try and change one's feelings about what their....feelings were.

Debate is always interesting though, even when it hits these dead ends, because it carves out how different people view things differently. In ideal situations, this should create empathy for how others can get the same raw information and yet interpret or engage with it so many completely contrary ways. But is just usually just hilarious how people are almost incapable of even this most slight acknowledgment of how others feel, even when in a harmless discussion about what is good or bad art.

My (hypocritical) stance is to not try and convince people why they shouldn't like something that they do. Let them. It's a positive thing for them, what help is it in turning that into a negative (unless its The Conjuring, then convincing them otherwise is a moral service). But I'm more than willing to turn myself blue in the face to make someone see something they didn't like in a more positive light. Again, because we all should like as many things as we can. There is no cap on how many things you can appreciate in this life. And once again, this is a moral service.

You're welcome everyone!

*takes a bow*
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Do people..

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 pm
This is because it is a fool's errand to think you can try and change one's feelings about what their....feelings were.

Debate is always interesting though, even when it hits these dead ends, because it carves out how different people view things differently. In ideal situations, this should create empathy for how others can get the same raw information and yet interpret or engage with it so many completely contrary ways. But is just usually just hilarious how people are almost incapable of even this most slight acknowledgment of how others feel, even when in a harmless discussion about what is good or bad art.

My (hypocritical) stance is to not try and convince people why they shouldn't like something that they do. Let them. It's a positive thing for them, what help is it in turning that into a negative (unless its The Conjuring, then convincing them otherwise is a moral service). But I'm more than willing to turn myself blue in the face to make someone see something they didn't like in a more positive light. Again, because we all should like as many things as we can. There is no cap on how many things you can appreciate in this life. And once again, this is a moral service.

You're welcome everyone!

*takes a bow*
I enjoyed Conjuring :shifty:

That's pretty much how I operate. I'm more interested in convincing someone that something they dislike is good (or better than they think at least) than convincing someone that something they like is bad. Although, I would try to change the mind of someone who likes a film if I think they're misinterpreting its message/themes. They're still welcome to like it of course and I don't want them to deprive them of that film. However, if they like the film for what it is as opposed to something it isn't, they might get a greater understanding of its themes and what it's going for. That's why I'll always be there to correct anyone who thinks that the first half of Full Metal Jacket is funny.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Do people..

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 pm
I enjoyed Conjuring :shifty:
This is why I have to work so vigilantly on the matter. The movie is a fucking contagion.

In regards to Full Metal Jacket, those who find the first half funny are sociopaths and have bigger problems than being schooled on their shitty grammar of cinema...or human empathy.
replican
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:51 am

Re: Do people..

Post by replican » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:57 am
Heated debate has it's place, but it can also burn things down. All too often, the debate begins with some nice insights, but once the lines of battle are established, it is most often less about finding the truth or understanding and anything one can do to not lose, if not "win."
One could argue that the last bit you said is precisely what can make a debate be the harbinger of delightful insights.

To go back to the Siskel n Ebert example, I'm a huge fan of that show. I know it's cliche but their film criticism, more than any film, opened my eyes to what a movie can accomplish. Yes, debate can dissolve into a mess but there's plenty to mined in the process of that. You can even glean insight from someone resorting to the win at all cost finale, in many cases they revert back to the basic tenets of how and why they view certain art. And I want to emphasize art here because debate of any other sort I have long become bored with. Except maybe sports. But that's because it's fun.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Do people..

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

replican wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:43 pm
One could argue that the last bit you said is precisely what can make a debate be the harbinger of delightful insights.

To go back to the Siskel n Ebert example, I'm a huge fan of that show. I know it's cliche but their film criticism, more than any film, opened my eyes to what a movie can accomplish. Yes, debate can dissolve into a mess but there's plenty to mined in the process of that. You can even glean insight from someone resorting to the win at all cost finale, in many cases they revert back to the basic tenets of how and why they view certain art. And I want to emphasize art here because debate of any other sort I have long become bored with. Except maybe sports. But that's because it's fun.
I'd still argue though that you can have a debate which opens your eyes to what a film can accomplish without that debate becoming heated. I don't think that's necessary for it to work. Siskel and Ebert's discussion of Taxi Driver is a good example of this.
replican
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:51 am

Re: Do people..

Post by replican » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm
I'd still argue though that you can have a debate which opens your eyes to what a film can accomplish without that debate becoming heated. I don't think that's necessary for it to work. Siskel and Ebert's discussion of Taxi Driver is a good example of this.
Agreed on the first part. However, I don't think that possibility should be a deterrent in approaching a divisive topic. It makes things interesting at times. I have had my mind blown in the midst of a heated back n forth on movie forums because someone shines a bright spotlight on a character's intentions/motivations that I was completely oblivious to. I can get myopic once I start to identify with characters.

Going back to what OP was saying, yes old thread is old, but debate is good. Having film discussion with the idea of being 'chummy' as a principle seems fruitless.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Do people..

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:21 pm

replican wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm
Agreed on the first part. However, I don't think that possibility should be a deterrent in approaching a divisive topic. It makes things interesting at times. I have had my mind blown in the midst of a heated back n forth on movie forums because someone shines a bright spotlight on a character's intentions/motivations that I was completely oblivious to. I can get myopic once I start to identify with characters.

Going back to what OP was saying, yes old thread is old, but debate is good. Having film discussion with the idea of being 'chummy' as a principle seems fruitless.
I see your point. I suppose it comes down to what speaks to you the most. I, however, don't care much for heated debates like the kind from Siskel and Ebert's talk show for the reasons stated above. I've always found that I get more out of a film from listening to/reading a non-heated debate as opposed to a heated one as there's a number of pitfalls which can either make or ruin the experience depending on the person viewing/reading them, ones which I don't see quite as much with non-heated debates.
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 16546
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:19 pm
This is why I have to work so vigilantly on the matter. The movie is a fucking contagion.

In regards to Full Metal Jacket, those who find the first half funny are sociopaths and have bigger problems than being schooled on their shitty grammar of cinema...or human empathy.
Well, you are both wrong because humor being a subjective force means you aren't to dictate what one finds funny, and why, and that generalizing it (Uh, maybe you are the sociopath in this instance?) is detracting from any potential nuance one may display in their feelings towards the manner. You are closing doors of potentially fruitful discussion, maybe instead of standing by your laurels you could ask someone questions as to why they feel this way
Melvin Butterworth
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Do people..

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 pm

replican wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:43 pm
To go back to the Siskel n Ebert example, I'm a huge fan of that show. I know it's cliche but their film criticism, more than any film, opened my eyes to what a movie can accomplish. Yes, debate can dissolve into a mess but there's plenty to mined in the process of that. You can even glean insight from someone resorting to the win at all cost finale, in many cases they revert back to the basic tenets of how and why they view certain art. And I want to emphasize art here because debate of any other sort I have long become bored with. Except maybe sports. But that's because it's fun.
As an inveterate debater, I agree that debating can be fun. And so long as we stick to discussing what debating can be, we can comfortably prove opposite claims here without having to claim that competing claims are wrong.

This thread, which your necromancy has summoned, speaks to debate in the context of this forum, and I think that you will find that this is not really a spot where people are looking for heated dialectic. Corrie is a bit like a dive bar where people are looking to enjoy sipping their drinks and having a laugh as opposed to, say, a sports bar where people banter and yell about the merits of the "Nickel Defense."
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Do people..

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Well, you are both wrong because humor being a subjective force means you aren't to dictate what one finds funny, and why, and that generalizing it (Uh, maybe you are the sociopath in this instance?) is detracting from any potential nuance one may display in their feelings towards the manner. You are closing doors of potentially fruitful discussion, maybe instead of standing by your laurels you could ask someone questions as to why they feel this way
I don't give a shit what you or anyone else laughs at. Go for it. And meanwhile you can leave me to whatever unflattering judgement I have of that laughter.
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 16546
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 pm

And I'm going to state simply for the matter of argument that I'm confused by the notion that FMJ's first half isn't funny. Kubrick's sense of humor is not easy, often cruel, but arguing that it isn't present is going against the grain of study towards his work. Kubrick is a conveyor of pitch black humor, HAL singing Daisy has me both laughing and curdled in fear, and this sentiment extends through all of his work. You can't shun emotional response out of the spectrum of critique, that's grossly simplifying the human condition. There are a million ways the first half of FMJ could encourage laughter, and it's not as if that laughter ends at "this is funny", but often leading to a state of "why did I find that funny?". I feel like that consideration of "why did I find that funny?" is the bounty of information critique can offer, the human response. Why am I laughing at HAL singing Daisy? Kubrick is a master at composing complicated emotional reactions, why is humor being put on the bottom tier of intellectual response? It's on the same coin as a film encouraging tears
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 16546
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 pm
I don't give a shit what you or anyone else laughs at. Go for it. And meanwhile you can leave me to whatever unflattering judgement I have of that laughter.
Okay, Trump
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 3347
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:50 pm

I believe the point with Full Metal Jacket is simple enough to decipher: Of course R. Lee Ermey's star-making performance is funny, his opening scene is a classic routine. That's not the point, either that Popcorn/crumbs was making or that Kubrick was intending. Let's talk about these "complicated emotions". Underneath the surface hilarity of Ermey's perfectly pitched steel drum rhythms is the fact that the purpose of his humor is not very funny at all, it's dehumanizing, because his job is not to entertain but to create sociopathic killers. This becomes increasingly clear scene after scene, getting progressively less funny, exactly as Kubrick intended. Anyone still laughing by the time Gomer gets the soap treatment probably is totally a sociopath themselves, and I believe this was crumbs' point, as, say, anyone gleefully singing children's songs in the midst of death and carnage. Anyone looking back after watching the entire film, with all of this contextual progression on the nature of the film's humor, and saying that they didn't like the second half (the part without Ermey) because it wasn't as funny, isn't just a sociopath but an imbecile besides, and clearly doesn't understand the very same complicated emotions that Kubrick was invoking or what he was intending by invoking them.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 3347
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Do people..

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Anywoo, I'm just happy that all of my debates on Corrie have gone swimmingly well.
Post Reply