Horrierino

Discuss anything you want.
traz

Re: Horrierino

Post by traz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Can I get a few recs for some horror films that are not horror-y? Sort of in the vein of Trick or' Treat. I like to watch horror around this time of year but not a big fan of gore/overly distressing imagery
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:06 pm

The Last Baron wrote:I thought the explanation was really interesting, but I definitely see how it takes away from the film a bit.
Oh, yeah I did too. I only meant the attempt at a "cure" at the very end. It seemed both too unlikely and too easy. But, yeah, the acting was great.
Lazzaro felice - Cabin in the Sky - An Autumn Afternoon

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | My Bookshelf
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:12 pm

traz wrote:Can I get a few recs for some horror films that are not horror-y?
Have you seen Housebound or Screamplay?

Oh, and The Tenant!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | My Bookshelf
traz

Post by traz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Have you seen Housebound or Screamplay?

Oh, and The Tenant!

Love The Tenant! I'll check out the other two, thanks!
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Oh, yeah I did too. I only meant the attempt at a "cure" at the very end. It seemed both too unlikely and too easy. But, yeah, the acting was great.
Ah. Will agree with you there.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:00 am

12 to the Moon (1960)

Thought "intriguingly strange events" might portend some horror mixed with the sci-fi. Actually, what I learned above all is that the IMDb rating is way, way too high.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:58 am

Man that intro to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That's about as far as I got before the DVD threw a fit over a scratch.
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 am

Crimson Peak 6/10

Very wanting story-wise/emotionally. Very pleasing design-wise. So yeah, a del Toro.
Please TRIP and Die
Andrew Ryan

Post by Andrew Ryan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:06 am

Trip wrote:Crimson Peak 6/10

Very wanting story-wise/emotionally. Very pleasing design-wise. So yeah, a del Toro.
what'd u think of pans labyrinth
Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 am

Needs a rewatch but it hits harder than this. Still questionable.
Please TRIP and Die
Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:59 am

The Last Baron wrote:Man that intro to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That's about as far as I got before the DVD threw a fit over a scratch.
The Hooper version or the remake?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Gort wrote: The Hooper version or the remake?
Hooper's, no interest in the remake
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:38 pm

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see Eraserhead. Such an amazing experience – part Charlie Chaplin, part Visitor of a Museum, part crazy things you hope to never see again! Who knew that anxiety could be so fascinating and funny, and, strangest of all, so beautiful? David Lynch is a genius; what else is there to say? See it, if you have not!

Image Image

Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:I can't believe it's taken me so long to see Eraserhead.
:heart:
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:41 am

Lair of the White Worm (1988) - that Ken Russel. He sure loves him some strap-ons and nun rape.
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:43 am

That was a fun one with friends, watching them squirm over barely there armpit hair
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
traz

Post by traz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 am

I can't really deal with Lynch mentally but, for some reason, Eraserhead did not frighten me in the least
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:10 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:part Visitor of a Museum
best genre
Joss Whedon

Post by Joss Whedon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:10 am

I've been searching everywhere to find The Horn Blows at Midnight. I want to start watching more Jack Benny movies.
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:22 am

Joss Whedon wrote:I've been searching everywhere to find The Horn Blows at Midnight. I want to start watching more Jack Benny movies.
It's really fun. :up:

not exactly horror though
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:21 am

Creep (2014) is actually quite good.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Two for one, today!
The Killer Must Kill Again is a giallo with a twist. We see the murder (and who does it). The tension is in the things that go wrong, and the desperate efforts of the perpetrator to cover his tracks. It's a good looking thriller, and decently suspenseful. Some great faces to watch, too, while the killer stalks, and rapes, and (yes) kills again!
Image Image

My second one isn't really horror, though IMDb says it is, but I guess the patient-eye-view is supposed to be disturbing. A Page of Madness is a melodramatic tale set inside an insane asylum. Without intertitles (and a good chunk of the film) it's not always completely clear what's going on, but the gorgeous, surreal images carry you along, and the claustrophobia and chaos just jump off the screen. More pictures here.

Image Image

Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:00 am

Just back from Crimson Peak and I quite enjoyed it. Your basic gothic ghost story beautifully filmed with rich colors (I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go to the theater and see actual color on the screen, that was nice) Story was good, very similar themes and symbols carry over from Devil's Backbone. Hiddleston is his usual charismatic self. Definitely worth seeing over the usual Sinister/Insidious/Paranormal Activity shit that crowds the cinemas this time of year.
Joss Whedon

Post by Joss Whedon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:46 am

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:Just back from Crimson Peak and I quite enjoyed it. Your basic gothic ghost story beautifully filmed with rich colors (I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go to the theater and see actual color on the screen, that was nice) Story was good, very similar themes and symbols carry over from Devil's Backbone. Hiddleston is his usual charismatic self. Definitely worth seeing over the usual Sinister/Insidious/Paranormal Activity shit that crowds the cinemas this time of year.
Your words have made me want to see it. I'm tired of horror films that rely on cheap gimmicks.
Das

Post by Das » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:12 am

Crimson Peak is well paced, and gorgeous, I wanted way more ghost moments though. as the effects and design work on those was so very good.
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Das wrote:Crimson Peak is well paced, and gorgeous, I wanted way more ghost moments though. as the effects and design work on those was so very good.
Y'know, I almost feel that the dramatic moments in the film are actually stronger/more suspenseful than the moments that were meant to be spooky. All of it was a feast for the eyes.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 pm

You all have convinced me I have to see Crimson Peak! But, in the meantime...
Image Image

Santa Sangre is amazing! I thought of Almodóvar several times, and I'm guessing now that Jodorowsky has been an influence on Sono, since this mixes romance and horror, melodrama, and madness in a way that's very similar to Strange Circus and Love Exposure. But, beyond that, it's just a great, great film. Casting brothers as Fenix at different ages was a sweet surprise, and the colors, and the camp, and the haunting images are all perfect. But the best thing is the tenderness with which the reveals are accomplished at the end, the satisfying way all the pieces click into place. This is what mournful nostalgia is all about!

Das

Post by Das » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote: Y'know, I almost feel that the dramatic moments in the film are actually stronger/more suspenseful than the moments that were meant to be spooky. All of it was a feast for the eyes.
For the most part I agree, but the use of practical effects and the designs themselves were really vivid and gorgeous, I thought.

Also, it's fun how the entire main set of the film is basically an extended Three Mothers series tribute.
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Santa Sangre is amazing!
It's possible that I've seen all the Jodorowsky films at this point. And I own most of them on Blu. This one is imaginative and well-executed. The story is a bit more clever than some of his earlier films. There is more of that aspect that they call "heart" in Hollywood, as well.

And I've seen Jodorowsky's influence (or, like you, I think I have) in the work of several of the directors of the bizarre. Jupiter Ascending is nowhere nearly as good as any Jodorowsky film, but the influence seems to be there. And Mad Max: Fury Road has all kinds of "Jodorowsky moments."

The Future Unreels
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Gort wrote:There is more of that aspect that they call "heart" in Hollywood, as well.
Yeah, it has a lot of emotional depth!

After Santa Sangre, I'm afraid I peaked early. But I still have six more to watch, plus I'm always open to suggestions. Does anyone want to pick my next horror film? Here's what's left of my list:
  • See You in Hell, My Darling (Nikos Nikolaidis, 1999)
    Beauty and the Beast (Juraj Herz, 1978)
    Calvaire (Fabrice Du Welz, 2004)
    Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)
    The Blind Woman's Curse (Teruo Ishii, 1970)
    Seven Blood Stained Orchids (Antonio Sabato, 1972)

Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:07 am

Shieldmaiden wrote: Does anyone want to pick my next horror film? Here's what's left of my list:

Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)
That's the one I've been championing all month.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 am

Starting it now.

Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:12 am

Crimson Peak:
I actually felt like the ghost elements could have been completely excised, felt pretty superfluous. That's valuable time that could have been spent on Chastain seething.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Ganja & Hess is delicious! This is dense, evocative stuff that I won't attempt to decode, at least not until I've seen it again. Stylistically, it reminds me of The Hunger, but its roots in culture and myth make this one quite a bit stronger. Also, where Scott's arty vampire's are cold, Gunn's are all fierce emotion. Told through piercing character revelations, disturbing dreams, and fantastic sound, the title characters are folded (crushed) into a colorful collage of love and anguish and longing for redemption. Great movie!

Image Image

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Panna a netvor is a fairy tale brought beautifully to life by the director of The Cremator, of all people. Most of the satisfaction here comes from the just-rightness of everything: Zdena Studenková makes a sweet story-book heroine, the house is a perfect spooky ruin, the selfish half-sisters are made to order. When Julie dances with the statues, I expected Disney music, haha. The most interesting design is the monster, a hideous bird-like creature out of On the Silver Globe. Rather than a cruel and inexplicable Chern, though, this monster is neurotic and easily led (by a never-explained whispering tormentor). I wouldn't call this horror, though there's a definite sense of menace in the monster's house, and an early scene of raping and pillaging makes it oddly unsuited for kids.
Image Image
Image Image

jade_vine

Post by jade_vine » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:45 am

Two amazing films! I should join in on this thread because I'm trying to do all horror this month too.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 pm

jade_vine wrote:I'm trying to do all horror this month too.
Ha, you've already seen more than I'll see this month! I bookmarked a couple from your thread. I'll see if I can get them.

Also, everyone should see a Macbeth in October! That's close enough to horror, surely?

Gort

Post by Gort » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Ha, you've already seen more than I'll see this month! I bookmarked a couple from your thread. I'll see if I can get them.

Also, everyone should see a Macbeth in October! That's close enough to horror, surely?
Walkin' woods. Defs horror in my book. Also, damned spots. Truly horrific. The bard's most gruesome play. (Titus Andronicus excepted)

The Future Unreels
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:14 am

Thoughts on the The Haunting (1963)? Camera moves and sets were fun, but it's not very scary.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:29 am

Also, is Housebound gross/disgusting? We're not big fans of that in the Evil household.
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 am

naw
Please TRIP and Die
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:06 am

The Haunting isn't scary but I still like it a lot. Housebound is hilarious and entertaining.

A Girl Walks Home At Night is hypnotic. Almost Human sucks. Twixt and Dead Silence are both decent films that had multiple factors holding them back. The Final Terror is great btw.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Trip wrote:You might like Castle of Blood more than Black Sunday, actually. Steele's there, too. You love her!
She's ridiculous. That eyebrow wiggle is excruciating, haha. Castle of Blood is silly fun. Least spooky thing ever, though.

Image Image

Das

Post by Das » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:22 am

A curiosity about Eraserhead is how differently the audio is set up on the home video releases compared to the way it's played in cinemas, the sound is almost pummeling in a theater setting for that film, that plus the intense grain on the film prints that always seems oddly decreased makes it almost feel like a different film.
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:45 am

Mightily tempted by this next weekend. Only seen Tourist Trap before (at another all night horror event just last year, so could deliberately sleep through that). All 35mm, except for Christine which is 16mm.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:54 am

Starry Eyes is good yet left me a bit cold.
Shitty Film Thread
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:04 am

There's a lot of parts of Salem's Lot you could catch a cat nap during.
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Ah the unfairly maligned Halloween movie. I was fond of that one.
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Cemetery Man is frenetic and gory and stupid and fun, but don't ask me a for plot summary. I mean, there was so much going on all the time and Rupert Everett would take his shirt off and drink a glass of wine and I'd get distracted. It's a beautiful movie, though, and such a strange, perfect mix of funny and wistful. Another way to say it: it's cynical in a way that calls to mind sweetness. Does that make any sense? And, even though I'm not at all sure what the ending meant, it was sad and strangely satisfying. Why haven't more directors taken advantage of Everett's massive talent for deadpan humor?! I think I love this movie. Will I see it again? Yes.
Image Image
Image Image

traz

Post by traz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 pm

My new film friend wants to see Carrie at a vintage cinema, which will be cool

Carrie really frightens me though. She's so broken and vulnerable and brainwashed... then she uses her period to get revenge. Every girl's nightmare