Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #2 Shopping for Fangs

Discuss anything you want.
takeshi

Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #2 Shopping for Fangs

Post by takeshi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Copy and pasted from snapping turtle's thread --

The rules of the game are:
- If you're hosting the Trip you need to pick a film that you haven't seen and that you don't think many others on the forum will have seen (check Trends if you're unsure) - it'd do well to prioritise films from directors whose work you haven't seen before. Make sure that it'll interest people!
- Announce it on a day (usually a weekend) and accept sign-ups - people will have until the following weekend to see the film and post an in-depth reaction.
- After that weekend, randomly choose someone from the pool of responders to host the next Corrie Class Trip. They have up to a week to choose their film and post the next Corrie Class Trip thread.

The SECOND film of Corrie Class Trip 2.0 is:
Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee & Justin Lin)
As most of you know, a very close friend of mine passed away recently. He was always recommending me stuff and I feel awful that I never got round to even half his recommendations as now I feel myself aching to discuss them with him. One of the films he was adamant that I see was this film, Shopping for Fangs. Now, this particular film stuck out to me for several reasons. One of the reasons being that holy shit, what a cool title to name your movie. Secondly, and less superficially, the film is a quirky absurd VHS comedy by two directors who are particularly interesting. Quentin Lee has directed a number of pretty intense Asian-American dramas and Justin Lin has directed quite a few Fast and the Furious films so to see someone like that tied to a low budget indie release is insanely intriguing to me. Looking forward to diving into it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Previous Class Trips this edition so far:
#1 - The Worthless (Mika Kaurismaki) // snapper

To allow maximum participation, we all have till Tuesday the 4th of March tentatively to watch and discuss it.

In:
snapper
Epistemophobia
Shieldmaiden
charulata
kopello
Bandy Greensacks
B-Side
Colonel Kurz
JediMoonShyne
elixir
"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll
snapper

Re: Corrie Class Trip 2.0: #2 Shopping for Fangs

Post by snapper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm in!
Latest notable first-time viewings:

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:45 pm

in
snapper

Post by snapper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Eek Epi, I just realised I didn't include you in the pool for this round. Next time I'm hosting one that you see I'll weigh the odds in your favour

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Don't we normally get two weeks between discussions? I'll try to participate, regardless, but could use a little more time.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

I dunno, up to the magick mystikal ringleader snapper.
"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll
charulata

Post by charulata » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:13 pm

I really wanna participate and while I realize that I haven't even commented on the previous pick, I just want to mention that a 2-week window would make it significantly easier for me to actually participate. I am still gonna try and comment on the Mika Kaurismaki.
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Alright then, I'll tentatively bump up the cut-off date to 4th March.
charulata

Post by charulata » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 pm

<3
obviously we should do what is best for the majority but your pick looks swell.. so am definitely excited to participate.
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
kopello

Post by kopello » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:32 pm

in
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:52 am

Okay. Not really sure what to expect with this one.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am

takeshi wrote:Alright then, I'll tentatively bump up the cut-off date to 4th March.
Thank you. :)
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:Okay. Not really sure what to expect with this one.
Same.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Don't we normally get two weeks between discussions? I'll try to participate, regardless, but could use a little more time.
Yeah, I still haven't finished watching the last one. :(
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 am

you've got two weeks to watch two films

spend a little less time rewatching italian movies and watch these, you fuck

| letterboxd
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am

This one isn't even on KG.

What's with you people?
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 am

You have 3 other options. PICK ONE AND SHUDDUP.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 am

LOOK GUYS, WE CAN EITHER DO THIS OR WE CAN NOT DO THIS. NOW JEDI, DO YOU WANT ON THE LIST OR NOT??
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am

I think Jedi was being facetious, takeshi.

I think I might be in on this one.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

Haha, so was I!
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Not gonna watch this one, sorry
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm

come on i wanted to see a "SLEPT THRU" :D

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:34 pm

I've seen it, think I thought it was alright, slowly remembering parts now and these parts were pretty good, yes, I do believe this film was alright
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

But hirtho, we were all looking so forward to your one line opinion and one or two word phrase at end of said opinion. Oh well, thanks for letting us know in advance at least.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

I'm joking, but that was such a pointless dismissive post. Like somehow we're all gonna suffer because you have no interest in watching it. If you have no interest then just don't post instead of dismissing what I've chosen.
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:00 am

You choose the film, you don't dictate the posting rules, shithead
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 am

Oh okay, well sorry you will not be watching this movie. Hopefully if I ever host this again I will pick something more in tune to what you perceive as your taste and perhaps you will watch it and tell us what you think! Again, sorry.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 am

Sorry hirtho, I'm just very sleepy and was probably reaching thinking your post was insulting. I like ya big guy. No one is obliged to participate but if you change your mind then that's cool and if not, enjoy the discussion anyway haha.
elixir

Post by elixir » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:31 am

i downloaded it and will try to watch it tho i said that about the last film and still haven't so
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 am

Haha try your best :)
snapper

Post by snapper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 am

fuck off hirtho

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:47 pm

Got another week to watch this yall, then someone else will be chosen.

I finally got round to watching this and it was quite fun! Very entertaining through its use of absurd characters and playing off the character's insane situations as life or death. There's a lot of life to it and portraying the film through the viewpoint of an Asian American cast gives it a unique perspective on the angst ridden Gen X existentially troubled B-movie.

There are a few similarities to other film makers that are easy to point out. First of all, the themes and tone recall the early films of Gregg Araki. Lee & Lin use Araki's aesthetic as a springboard for their own world view, one that is also nihilistic and misanthropic but doused in an ironic MTV humour. The other film maker this film recalls dearly is John Waters, mainly through the absurdity of the story, the plastic shlock visuals and the unnatural delivery of dialogue. All these things add a lot of intrigue and it's a pretty good twist on those directors' styles.

The only real problem with the movie is that the plots of the characters are disparate and can vary in quality. At times, it feels like several short films edited and spliced into one another to create a feature length. This type of story telling has been done plenty of times before but with more experienced and nuanced directors; this being each director's debut feature doesn't help in any case.

Overall though, it was fun and easy to get through. There definitely will be a lot of apathetic opinions on this but none of the film is grating or alien enough to warrant Jon Moritsugu level criticism. Oh, also, the ending to the film is a bit of an "ahhhhhhh" moment so in a way it does tie everything together, though it would obviously be better if it did that throughout convincingly.
snapper

Post by snapper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Will watch this this weekend!

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:36 pm

8-)
snapper

Post by snapper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:24 am

Dropbox isn't working for me

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm

It's working for me. What's specifically wrong with it?
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:41 pm

It worked for me.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm uploading it to wetransfer for you snapper.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

snapper

Post by snapper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks! It would come up with a VLC plugin notification and even if I let the plugin run nothing would happen.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

snapper

Post by snapper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 pm

This is great! Have to go to work now but will finish it soon.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:36 am

Cool! Hope some other people watch. No biggie anyway, I don't think the first one got off the ground until the last weekend.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Image Image

This was fun! Obviously it was a learning experience for all involved, but that doesn't keep it from being plenty entertaining, due to its general air of enthusiasm and sly sense of humor. I liked the way it quietly manages three plot threads, and pulls them all together in a satisfying (and kind of sweet) conclusion. My only complaint was uneven acting, and even that was partly "explained" by the ending. Does it only exist in this terrible copy?
takeshi wrote:Oh, also, the ending to the film is a bit of an "ahhhhhhh" moment so in a way it does tie everything together, though it would obviously be better if it did that throughout convincingly.
I loved the way the ending worked. But I also thought the stories were adequately linked from the start.
takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

True, they were adequately linked, but I didn't feel like it was in any interesting way until the very end... which in retrospect does make the link between the characters interesting! Regardless, it was a better weaving of stories than something like Short Cuts (and not as draining either).

The bad acting kind of helps the movie's tone. A very John Waters-esque absurd unnaturalness, I liked the way the characters delivered their lines a lot.

And from what I can tell, there is a DVD with better quality but the movie is so obscure that the only copy online is an old VHS rip from CG. I'd be interested in a better quality version but not to the extent that I'd spend $50 on amazon for it.
snapper

Post by snapper » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Still haven't finished but caught the phrase 'bad acting', I love the stiltedness but even outside of that I'm finding Jeanne Chin to be really incredible in her dual role

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 am

I loved this! It was fun and funny and stirring and cool. And it gives a stylistic voice to Asian Americans that is valuable and empowering - it is rough around the edges but the entire thing is structured in such a way that makes the slipshod framing, low-budget set dressing and choppy edits seem shrewdly on-purpose. There's clearly a lot of, say, Araki here, but he's been married to glossier influences such as Wong. I enjoyed the subtle implementation of a kind of hyperlink cinema that is clearly lifted partially from Pulp Fiction but achieves a lot with the technique in a far less insistent way than the glut of 'connection' films from the mid-00s. A lot of the gags miss ("insert gag here" kinda stuff) but even more of them, despite the cheese, hit hard ("remember when I used to be bossy?" made me lol). But what is really key to the success here is the leads who have the uncanny ability to be both hilarious and deeply sad at the same time, they move the entire thing out of the realm of endearing schlock and into a kind of moving psychological and sociopolitical commentary on the personal-cultural disenfranchisement of Asian-Americans on both the macro and micro levels. Jeanne Chin (who is good and distinct enough in both roles that I read a review saying "the unbilled actress who plays Trinh..." - he might not have seen the end of the film or he might just be retarded) is so loveable as both Trinh and Katherine, and in the latter her whispered One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest inmate line readings provoke a kind of uncomfortable laughter the same time as they really break your heart. Radmar Agana Jao as Phil has a role that lends itself more to a conventional kind of ham, but he acquits himself very well and shows a kind of charisma and comic timing that is unfortunately probably quite uncastable in Hollywood. I enjoyed the supporting cast too, and John Cho's character is sweet. Great pick, especially considering that without this project I quite literally would never have even considered watching this film.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:54 am

So for those of you who were apathetic about seeing this I encourage you to, it zips by.

Times and Winds / Erdem
Bush Mama / Gerima

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Kinda funny that hirtho would probably actually like this. HIS LOSS. Great write-up!
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:06 pm

what makes you think I'd like it?