Ace's (Log) Cabin

Discuss anything you want.
Ace

Ace's (Log) Cabin

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:25 am

I'll be using this thread to Document the games and Movies that I play and watch.
Recently I beat the new Need For Speed Reboot. As an avid fan for the series I kind went in apprehensive about playing it. It had a bunch of stuff that was missing from the old series. I've been playing since Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit and I've pretty much enjoyed every game since. Well most of the ones I've played save for a few (The Run, Rivals, Undercover, and Pro Street). This game was touted as a return to the days of Need For Speed Underground with racing and tricking out your import tuner cars and such. And this game does have that in spades.
Before
After

But a few things that this game was missing was a few key elements that you kind of need in a racing game.
60 fps hasn't always been a standard in the Need For Speed series but since Criterion took over the series with the Hot Pursuit reboot it has since their games were always 60fps. But I get why it didn't have that given the Frostbite 3 engine is very demanding on the consoles. One of the reasons why the PC version of Need For Speed was delayed was so that they could allow the 60fps gameplay work with their always online feature(more on that later). Given the eye candy available at hand I can forgive it...I guess.
Another thing missing that bugged me and a bunch of people was the missing manual transmission. How are you going to have a game where you let us tune every aspect of our car but yet not let us control how we want to drive the car? I would think Manual transmission would be easy to implement given the use of the shoulder buttons. But those buttons have been relegated to answering phone calls. That could have been easily ported over to the d-pad.
And lastly they're missing Drag races which while not a big deal were always fun for the briefness in them and the fact that it all boiled down to if you could shift perfectly. I do miss them as they were fun different thing from the constant circuit/sprint races you always have to do.

Anyways the game is pretty fun. It goes back to the Underground/2/Most Wanted/Carbon style of storytelling where you have live action actors integrated with the game engine to pass the story. It's your standard newcomer comes in to town to impress the locals and tears it up so good and such. I do love the freedom they allow you in advancing the story. if certain type of races aren't your bag you don't have to do them. You can just keep doing the type of races you love.
The world is COMPLETELY OPEN World. And by that it means that races aren't blocked off by imaginary walls like in the old games. Nope you can miss a turn while racing and then end up somewhere off course while the races completely continues without you. Which to me is kind of annoying because this game is completely open world and always online so your world is always populated by other racers. If you play offline the game will populate your world with AI racers. If you play online youll get stuck with REAL people. And therein lies the problem because you could sometimes be susceptible to trolling. Since the races are always open there could always be a chance you could have someone come in and cause you to crash. I played offline so I didn't encounter this but I have seen those complaints.
The races are varied but almost the same. You have your standard circuit races with laps. Sprint races which are from point A to Point B. Drift races. Drift train races. And a few others. But also the big selling point for me was the return of cops to this world which made it a bit more like Most Wanted. I love all the Need for Speed games that involved running away from the cops. So this was the segment I enjoyed the most since it makes the races a bit more thrilling. Kinda like your very own version of Drive given the setting looks so much like LA. The one qualm that I have with this part of the game is that the police seem kind of limited in what they deploy against you. They're limited to Dodger Charger cars, Roadblocks, and Spike strips. That's it. Given the more extravagance of the old games where they deployed choppers and other things to stop you I think they just tried to ground the game in a bit more reality. Which is weird given the fact that you can crash your car at 120 miles per hour and keep on going. Anyways the cops don't really post any real threat given the wide openness of the city and their limited toolset. But every once in a while you do get caught up in a thrilling chase of sorts. I got spike stripped and this happened.

As you can see I barely managed to escape that one. One of the few highlights of the game. Overall I really enjoyed the game. Much better than expected given the low expectations I had going in. It's really just fun to play if you enjoyed the old NFS games of past. And the tuning and car options are really expansive. As you can see by my garage.
They give you a chance to tone older cars like the 86 Corolla. Or 70's Porsches' or even the current Lambos.
Overall I give this game :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: / :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Ace

Re: Ace's (Log) Cabin

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:30 am

I was debating whether to watch the screener that's out of The Revenant or watch it in theaters. I opted to watch in theaters and I think I made the right choice. Leo gives it his all in this one.
Chivo's work is outstanding given he used all natural light for 99.9% of the scenes. And the action scenes are top notch. That opening attack was intense. Will it net Leo the Oscar? I honestly don't know as I haven't seen any of the other nominees but he certainly did great work. I enjoyed it. Granted I enjoy everything but I really enjoyed this one. More than Birdman I would say.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:26 am

Is it less condescending than that incredibly pretentious tagline on the poster, hopefully?
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:49 am

I hope so. Although that line in the trailer about not being afraid to die is in the movie.
Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:28 am

My Neighbor Totoro.

5 Catbuses/out 5 Catbuses
My second Stuido Ghibli movie after Porco Rosso.
It was such a joy to watch. And the heavy themes it deals with but at the same time it doesn't delve into them real heavily preferring to keep a sense of wonder and naivite like the girls. I watched the English dub and I had the subtitles and I did notice one that the dub kind of softened the dialogue a bit. I had no qualms about that given the scenes they did it I understand why. I can see why this movie is so beloved. I had a smile on during the whole movie. And now I get the Totoro references!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 am

The Revenant is great but I prefer Birdman.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:00 am

This game wow. I played and beat Bayonetta 1 on the WiiU last year and it was great I enjoyed it a lot. I love these fast paced action games. I know that this can be compared to God of War sort of but GoW isn't as fast paced as this game. Also Bayonetta is a much more interesting and likable protagonist when compared to Kratos. Bayonetta 1 was great introduction to everything in store for Bayonetta 2. The characters, setting, boss battles, and mechanics. While enjoyable Bayonetta 1 always felt like it lacked something. And whatever that was Bayonetta 2 added to it. From all the different weapons you can acquire to the moves you can buy and combos you can pull this is THE game that should have been the GOTY for 2014 followed closely by Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. While this game feels more "set piece" driven it does so at a great pace. It never felt like it dragged in certain places like Bayonetta 1 did. I would liken the pace to that of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Platinum Games earlier effort. The story is really outrageous but if you played Bayonetta 1 I feel you have a good sense of what you're in store for. As for the difficulty, I played the game in 3rd Climax which I guess it's the game's equivalent of "Hard" I certainly felt really challenged. Certainly not as much as when I played Bayonetta 1 just because I already knew the game mechanics. I was able to get a few platinums but I mostly got Silver and Golds with a few bronzes. Also the Nintendo easter eggs are awesome. From the costumes to the Star Fox easter egg. I definitely recommend this game if you're a fan of the first game and have a WiiU. Much fun will be had with this title. Also there's a Co-Op mode that I have yet to try only because it requires online and I don't know if it's still alive. 10/10 Wicked Weaves
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 am

Also Been Reading a few comics and given the current Star Wars buzz going around I decided to jump back into the unvierse via comics. And both Star Wars Vol.1 and Darth Vader Vol 1. were highly recommended and critically acclaimed
Image Image
The Force is strong with this one.
Both Star Wars and Darth Vader start off with the end of Episode IV. So it's pretty easy to pick up and go. But the real stand out is the Darth Vader series. We get to see Vader be the badass we always assumed he was. And I'm not talking about Anakin stuff but actual Lord of the Sith type stuff. We get to see Vader manuever the Empire bureocratic system and the emperor's bid to replace him. And the way he outwits his opponents is how always assumed Vader to be. Not via Jedi Mind tricks but just by deception and being a dick to people. There's a scene set in Jabba's palace where Vader deals with Jabba the hutt that made me smile because I literally thought "Yep. Vader would never take any of Jabba's shit". And also seeing Vader handle the repercussions of having the Death Star blow up on his watch was nice to see. But the big revelation is him finding out (spoilers) who the pilot that blew of the death star is. We get to see his reaction and it's totally perfect. And the way he finds out by going full Detective Vader is fun to see. If you love Vader/Star Wars I suggest you pick this one up to read as you won't be dissappointed.
There's two volumes out (as I only read the Trade Paperbacks) but I have yet to get to Volume 2 so this is about Volume 1. We catch up with Luke, Leia, and Han Solo on another mission in trying to damage the Empire after their victory in Yavin IV. This title is a lot of fun but it's a lot of action. If you enjoy seeing the hero side of Star Wars I'd say you'd enjoy it a lot. I didn't enjoy it as much as Darth Vader but I think it's because you are dealing with multiple characters instead of one central one with a few side one. There is some overlap if you're reading both books so that's nice.
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 am

You mean I should actually read that stuff? Sounds pretty interesting.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:You mean I should actually read that stuff? Sounds pretty interesting.
Yes! Darth Vader especially we get to see Darth Vader as the Machiavellian Sith Lord he really is! Scheming behind the emperor's back making deals with the hutts and of course being Darth Vader. :D
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:27 am

Deadpool
This movie was a joy to watch just because it felt so fresh. Kinda like how GotG felt when it came out. It doesn't take itself to seriously and it basks in the R rating. If you're not familiar with Deadpool he's a real popular Marvel character who breaks the 4th wall and wisecracks all the time. He's had numerous appearances in the animated Marvel movies and in his most infamous appearance being in Capcom's Marvel vs Capcom 3/Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 where his ultimate level 3 was beating you up with the health bar.

The movie has your standard origin story movie but it doesn't dwell on it so much as were thrown into the action right away and we get to see Deadpool's Shenanigans in action. Movie feels more personal given the small stakes and I think the movie is the better for it. Also given the fact that it almost feels like a rom com at times but I think that was part of the joke.
Also the jokes land really well and there are some great ones if you're familiar with the Marvel universe. Heck Deadpool even throws some shade towards Marvel Studios in the end credit tease. Chick Chika!
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: / :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh:
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:58 am

Hakweye Vol 5: All New Hakwkeye
I was a fan of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run. It was one of the first few comics I bought when I started buying comics again. I loved the premise and when I started reading I fell in love with Fraction's portrayal of Clint Barton's Hawkeye (Hawkguy) and his not a sidekick Kate Bishop also known as Hawkeye. The simplistic art and the more personal story was really good. So I was kinda apprehensive to read this new volume just because there was a creative team change(Jeff Lemire took over writing duties with Ramon Perez illustrating). I felt that Fraction had ended his run really well and there was nothing left to say and that anyone else wouldn't be able to capture the magic/tone he had. And I was right in that the tone was completely different. This one is a bit more serious given the subject matter that it delves too. Were thrust back into he thick of things with both Hawkeye's being on a dangerous mission for SHIELD and what they discover is horrible. Running parallel to that we see Clint's childhood and how it connects to this current mission with the stuff that happened and the decisions he has/had to make. Not a bad debut from this creative team. I'm still not sold on it but I like the direction they're going. Granted I only read the trades so some of you may have already know what happens. Feel free to chime in. :)
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 pm

For whatever reason, I decided my life would be more complete if I read Marvel's original 107 issue Star Wars comics series. The best stuff there also falls between Eps IV & V. There's smatterings of good stories after Empire, and then everything post-Jedi is total shit.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:For whatever reason, I decided my life would be more complete if I read Marvel's original 107 issue Star Wars comics series. The best stuff there also falls between Eps IV & V. There's smatterings of good stories after Empire, and then everything post-Jedi is total shit.
Comics wise yes. But We all know the good stuff was located in the books. ;)
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:49 am

I've been holding off watching this movie for a while even though I owned the Blu since day 1. IDK what it was. But maybe it was because I was afraid since Pixar's last few efforts weren't up to their usual greatness. They were good just not great. So I decided to watch this today because I had just gotten the Good Dinosaur in on tuesday and just wanted to catch up on what I haven't seen. Turns out I made a good/bad choice. This movie was such a whirlwind of emotions. The way it starts out as you're introduced to each emotion is just perfect. You see how they each play a role role to play as their respective names indicate Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger. The voice actors were all perfectly cast. With the standouts being Amy Poehler and Phyllis Smith as Joy and Sadness. As you see the emotions journey to keep Riley happy you see how they each come into play. So when something goes wrong they each have a part to play. It's a simple system. So when things get complicated that's when things go wrong and Joy and Sadness get separated from everyone and the adventure continues. We see the different set of memories and how they influence Riley's likes and hates. Joy and Sadness try to get back to "headquarter" but they find it more difficult than that and then they encounter Bing Bong. Rileys old imaginary friend. Honestly I was expecting some sort of more sinister motive from Bing Bong. So when the villain turn didn't it was just that much more heartbreaking/Soul crushing given his fate. Richard Kind knocked it out of the park with that one. I really enjoyed this one and it seems Pixar is back in top form. Well see with Good Dinosaur when I watch it.
10/10 Bing Bongs
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 am

Spectre
I had been looking forward to this movie for a while but for some apparent reason I missed this in theaters. The main reason I was looking forward to it was because they were seemingly connecting Skyfall to the previous two movies and not ignoring them. Turns out that worked....ok. More on that in a bit. The movie opens up in Mexico with a Day of the Dead celebration and Bond tailing a man in a white suit. BEFORE I realized that this was a tracking shot, (which is awesome) this little sequence reminded me of The rooftop sequence of the Godfather II where Vito stalks Don Fanucci. So we get to watch as Bond does his thing which results in an explosive chase. Which is ok. But after that sequence they really don't get that fancy with the camera which is a shame because that set the bar high. So this movie has your standard Bond stuff in it but a more throwback to the classic Bonds what with the Villain actually having an elaborate lair. But the way they tried to tie Bond and SPOILERS Blofeld's life together really irked. I was fine with Quantum being part of Spectre but the whole "I'm responsible for ALL your pain stuff" was just a bit too much. I mean I can get behind that Spectre was behind all the chaos in the world but that Bond just happened to foil their plans all 3 times? It felt like HYDRA type reveal except this didn't have that oompf of that reveal because were only told the extent of the type of organization this is. Either way this was a solid movie tomatometer be dammed. Also the love plot felt a little bit rushed given the fact that they only met but I guess it was a throwback to Casino Royale what with all the Vesper Lynd stuff they kept winking at? I hope that really don't ignore Bond's ride off into the sunset with Madelynn Swan given all the trouble they went through to connect all the previous movies.
3/5 Martinis.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:44 am

Sex Criminals
ImageImage

I had only lightly heard of this series while I was reading Mat Fraction's run of Hawkeye. So when I decided to buy it just came as a shock to me. I bought it without even reading the premise. I just read the title and was sold on just the fact that Matt Fraction was writing it. And boy was I sold on it quick. Right from the opening pages you could tell that this was going to be a different type of comic. For one while not explicit about it the comic does not shy away from the subject of sex. Granted it's in the title but it doesn't treat it as some taboo subject or "lightly" hint at it like some other publishers do. I found that very refreshing along with the fact that the characters openly talk about their sexlives and how they discovered sex and etc. Well I don't want to spoil the whole plot but I'll give you a quick hint. What if you could stop time by having sex? What would you do? :D
The characters are so refreshing just because these feel like real people. People who have lived and have flaws weird quirks. Also the art is not bad as you know given the fact that it involves sex and stuff. But seriously don't sleep on this title it's got a lot more depth to it than it's title suggests. I'll be looking forward to Volume 3 when it comes out later this spring.
5/5 Cumworlds (inside joke for those that have read it)
The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:13 am

I wouldn't have given Spectre quite as many martinis. However, there are some nice things going for it - cinematography, a few nice action set pieces, introducing the villain etc.

But the whole thing just doesn't gel for me. The romantic angle felt forced and there are too many Bond cliches to list. It felt like a lot of wasted potential, personally. I thought it was a huge step down from Skyfall.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:18 am

The Bad Guy wrote:I wouldn't have given Spectre quite as many martinis. Although there are some nice things going for it - cinematography, a few nice action set pieces, introducing the villain etc.

But the whole thing just doesn't gel for me. The romance feels forced and there are too many Bond cliches to list. It felt like a lot of wasted potential, personally. I thought it was a huge step down from Skyfall.
Yeah I felt that too but I still liked parts of it. Batista's presence alone was great as the henchman who doesn't say anything. He reminded me of Oddjob if that's what they were going for.
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Creed
I admit that I was skeptical when this movie was announced. I mean a Rocky sequel that's not about Rocky? I wasn't sold on the premise until I saw the trailer and then I eagerly anticipated it. And I have to say that this movie totally delivered in respecting what's come before it with the Rocky franchise and setting up something new. Ryan Coogler directed this really well and he had a lot help from Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone. The acting from these two was top notch and I can see why Sly was nominated. When he goes on about how he would trade it all for one more day with Adrian I have to say it really hit the feels. Really enjoyed this and I'm looking forward to whatever the franchise has in store and Cooglers next project :awesome: .
4.5/5 rounds.
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:12 am

The Peanuts Movie
I have loved the Peanuts forever. Ever since I read them in the newspaper when I was young. Heck I even played the crap out of Snoopy vs The Red Baron on PC because I loved playing as snoopy and Woodstock <3(for a review on that game see DJ's thread). So I was kinda weary when they announced a new movie featuring the Peanuts gang. I didn't want them to update them for now and make them contemporary or something like that. Turns out all my worries were unfounded as Blue Sky has crafted a classic up there with Pixar's best. It captures the heart and soul of the Peanuts perfectly. Charles Schulz would have been proud of this. I had a smile on my face all throughout this film and when it ended I went out and bought the movie just because it was that good. Everyone gets there time to shine from Charlie Brown and Snoopy to Lucy, Linus and Schroeder. These are the Peanuts you know and love. The story is your standard Peanuts fare but with lots of heart and soul. There are some asides involving Snoopy and the Red Baron that break up the story nicely and nice little action sequences. The voice cast is also great with Snoopy having that same great voice you know and love. I really really enjoyed this. Probably more than Inside Out. :shock: :O
5/5 Kites. :P
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Ah! Snoops has fur! Hadn't noticed that before.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:50 am

It's really hard to catch but it's really subtle.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Image Image
Spider-Woman vol 1 and 2.
I was anticipating this title a lot since I'm a fan of all the Spider-women (Silk, Spider-Gwen, Anya, Jessica Drew, etc) and Jessica's interaction with Captain Marvel in her solo series, so when it released I picked it up asap. I wasn't disappointed as Vol.1 was a Spider-Verse tie in but it focused on Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman's role in that whole affair and it was a pivotal one since she ended up basically saving the day. Also I loved seeing her interact with Cindy Moon/Silk given how inexperienced Silk is. They play well of each other and the other Spiders. It was very enjoyable given it's a tie in but also a start for the solo series. And it ends with the promise of a new costume for Jessica!
Vol 2 starts us off right off the bat with Jessica having a new costume and having quit the Avengers and gone the solo route. As she's trying to people by being sort of a P.I kinda a like another Jessica we all know. :P So she gets wrapped up in a case with Phil Urich which ends badly and on a good note. Rest of the issues are sort of like road trip issues and it ends with I guess a tie in for Secret Wars. It was enjoyable but I felt it was a bit unfocused. Given this was their true Solo series and not a tie but then it ends with a tie in. So I hope the next volume is better. I did like the focus away from big events but it felt almost too brief. Her interaction with Ben Uric and that porcupine Villain who's name I forget was really enjoyable tho so I hope they continue that.
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm

AKA: Jessica Jones
I am a big fan of the Alias comic book this series was based off. In fact it was one of the first comic books I read when I was getting back into comic books (Ultimate Spider-Man was the other). So when I heard they were making the TV show based on the comic book I was excited and cautious. I was excited because the source material is great but catious because given Marvel's Cinematic Universe and the separation of the current cinematic universe and TV universe the adaptation might not translate well given all the characters that were involved in Jessica Jones's life/beginnings. I'm glad to say that even with all those restrictions in place they perfectly captured the essence of the character correctly. Were first introduced to Jessica in a nice homage to the opening of the comic book. And from there on we get to see how she works and what type of person she is. We get some hints of the past she lived but not too much. The series opens up nicely introducing us to all the players in Jessica's little world. It chugs along but the series doesn't get good until the introduction of "Kilgrave". I have to say this has to be one of the top portrayal's of a villain ever. While were given hints of his humanity we just know that he's either plain evil, psychotic, or delusional. David Tennant plays him perfectly. He's menacing without looking it because when were showcased his powers we know what he can do. So that sets the stage for everything else. The two other characters I also enjoyed were Luke Cage and Patsy "Trish" Walker. Luke as we know plays a huge part in Jessica's life in more ways than one. I loved that they introduced Luke but my one qualm about that was that he kind overshadows Jessica sometimes given he also has powers. Thankfully they used him sparingly. And Patsy "Trish" Walker is just a replacement for Captain Marvel (or Miss Marvel as she was known in back in the day) but she plays the supporting role perfectly. I know people say that the back half of the season isn't as good as the first but I beg to differ. I think that once Kilgrave is out in the open and not in the shadows it allows the series to really get into the characters and explore Kilgrave's effect on everyone. I enjoyed this a lot. Probably a bit more than Daredevil given the villain. But so far Netflix Marvel is batting perfect and are almost going to outshine the cinematic universe.
Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:06 am

ImageImage
Black Widow Vol 1. & 2.
I was interested in this title for a while but I was hesitant given I didn't know if it was good or not. Trevors top comic list mentioned it and I gave it a shot. And I'm glad I did as this is a great book. I compare it to Fraction's run of Hawkeye but only in the sense that they both hinge of sort of the same premise. What these heroes get up to in their downtime. And I can safely say that this is up there with Fraction's run as Hawkeye. We get to see into Black Widow's life as she makes choices to try to atone for her past but in her way. And it's the way she atones that makes this book interesting because as usual when a hero tries to do some good they usually end up pissing off the wrong people. So we see into Black Widow's life of espionage of and intruige with a few cameos of Hawkeye, X-23, The Punisher, and a few others. This does end up raising the question(to me anyways) if Black Widow is really doing this for herself or other reasons. I have to wait a bit to get Vol 3. but I can safely say this is one of my favorite books so far. It got me interested in Nathan Edmonson's Punisher given this crosses over a bit with it.
5/5 black cats
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 am

I started this game a long time ago before I got a PS4 and when I got it I kinda forgot to go back to it. So I went back to it and was finally able to beat it. Final boss be dammed. I recently played Bayonetta 1 & 2 from Platinum Games and I really enjoyed the combat in that game so I was eager to get into this one. While the combat had some things in common with the Bayonetta games it was completely new and fresh and you only had to deal with a constant type of weapon basically being type of blades. I really enjoyed this since you can really button mash but there is some sort of skill involved that makes you unstoppable if you know how to play it. So this game is set in the Metal Gear Solid Universe. After Guns of the Patriots to be exact so while there is some stuff to be gained by having played the previous Metal Gear games it's pretty much standalone. So you start off as Raiden a badass Cyborg Ninja who can do lots of cool shit. Like lets say lift an entire Metal Gear Ray....like this.
So after you do all that you get fucked up and you get introduced to the villains of the game. While the game shines in combat it really shines in the battles with these said villains. The Boss battles are hard an tough but sometimes not to cheap (final boss notwithstanding). And it helps that the bosses are very charmisatic
He just wants you to show him a good time.
Also the game has nice unlockables what with the different armors. As soon as Grey Fox's armor was unlocked I equipped it. Since that's the GOAT armor.
I highly recommend this game to fans of action games. But if you want to enjoy the story I'd say play it on easy or Normal if you're not familiar with the type of combat. If you want a challenge play it on hard and let the rage flow. :D
5/5 Robot Wolfies
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 am

Batman: Hush
I'd been meaning to get to this comic for a while. I loved Jeph Loeb's take on Batman in the Long Halloween (another one I've read but have yet to review) so I decided to read another one of his highly regarded Batman stories. Right away I could tell this was going to be something different from Long Halloween and mainly it was due to Jim Lee's art. It was different....more in your face. And I guess it suited it for this story. Because I think this whole thing was about misdirection but yet everything is right in front of you. I loved how this involved most of the Bat family and was surprised to see Huntress was part of it too! Also a few cameos by some of DC's other superheroes helped too. This book kept me on my toes and like I said before it's a good thing. It was about misdirection just like Loeb's last book which kept you guessing until the last moment. I even found myself questioning the truth because I thought I had it all figured out. And I think DC is still feeling some of the effects of this given it introduced some very controversial plot elements (for those that read it you guys know the one). I really enjoyed this and would recommend this to anyone looking to read a classic Batman story.
5/5 Hush's
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 am

^Ahhh just bought that one. Reading it next week. 8-)
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 am

Hope you enjoyed it Ed. I did. Not as good as Long Halloween tho. But what is? :P
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 am

Star Wars: Vader Down
This is culmination of the two comic books (Star Wars and Darth Vader) crossing over. Luke goes to search for an ancient Jedi temple with Darth Vader on his tail. With Darth Vader out chasing Luke and Leia, Solo and the Wookie out to help Luke all their stories intersect. BUT you can really tell which set of stories are better. THe Darth Vader issues are just that much better because Kieron Gillen is that much better of a writer than Jason Aaron. He seems to know what makes Darth Vader a great character and why people loved him in the first place. So while I enjoyed this book it was held back Jason Aaron's reliance on huge setpieces like the first tow Star Wars Volumes instead of Gillen's choices for character moments. The art tho is still good but mainly because ether have to keep consistency across issues.
4/5 killer robots