Ace & The Bad Guy present: The Best Scenes of 2015

Discuss anything you want.
The Bad Guy

Ace & The Bad Guy present: The Best Scenes of 2015

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 am

Here is a thread where myself and Ace post our favorite sequences of 2015.

Others are welcome to contribute, of course. If there's a sequence you feel like discussing or think has gone overlooked, then feel free to chime in. I'll pass the baton to Ace here and let him lead off with his #1 draft pick.
Ace

Re: The Bad Guy & Ace present: THE BEST SCENES OF 2015

Post by Ace » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:39 am

Sicario- Entering/leaving Juarez

What I love about this sequence and by sequence I actually mean that whole 15 minute sequence when they they enter Juarez to when they leave. It's just so tense. Deakins cinematography shines through so well with the sweeping landscapes to the claustrophobic scenes inside the car. It's just played so well. With Johansson's haunting score playing in the background you just KNOW something is going to happen but not WHEN. And when things do turn sour (in the form of one of the tensest traffic jams ever) it's not played for flashiness. I like to think how this highlights Emily Blunt's character and how deep she's in and how out of her element she is. How she may be so experienced at doing what she's doing but here she's a guppy in a whole city full of sharks. Thankfully she's right next to a shark who knows what's he's doing. The subtlety of Del Toro's performance really shines through at times during this sequence. Because at this point in time you're still not sure who he is. But this sequence reveals another layer to him.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:54 am

Across multiple forums wahoo.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Yay!
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
The Bad Guy

Re: Ace & The Bad Guy present: The Best Scenes of 2015

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road - Sandstorm
My favorite scene from last year took place in Mad Max: Fury Road. Our protagonist, Furiosa, is driving a war rig into a massive storm. With three war parties in pursuit, she can either surrender or risk dying in the tempest. As the rig goes into the storm, the music shifts from a frenetic action score to a stunning orchestral interlude. The apocalyptic winds carry her pursuers into the sky, their bodies tossed amidst the lightning and explosions. Most movies couldn’t even dream of a scene like this. If they did, it would be saved as the epic finale after hours of buildup. The fact that this incredible sequence takes place less than a half hour into the film made it all the more stunning. I instinctively felt like I was watching one of the best action films of all time. What a lovely day!

The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:59 pm

The Juarez scene from Sicario is Roger Deakins running circles around the competition. Amazing to me how much time and effort must have gone into shooting all of that it making those cuts so seamless.
The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Mommy - Ludovico Einaudi Montage
For most of its running time, Xavier Dolan's film is a nearly claustrophobic looking 1:1 aspect ratio. However, there are moments where the aspect ratio expands to a widescreen format. The most memorable is a montage that features Ludivico Einaudi's song 'Experience'. In this scene we see a fast forwarding of Steve's life, watching on as he achieves landmark goals of college acceptance and marriage that some may have seen as unlikely. The scene is beautifully shot and the music adds so much emotional heft that it's hard to imagine someone not being moved. In fact, Dolan is said to have had the idea for this scene after hearing Einaudi's song, and that the rest of the film was structured around this montage.

Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Spectre-Day of the Dead Celebration

Say what you will about the rest of the movie but this opening tracking shot was lovely. With all the Day of the Dead imagery it was just gorgeous to look at. Also I think that it also sort of evoked The Godfather 2 when Vito was stalking his pray as the same way Bond is doing in this one. As we follow him from the outside to the inside to the outside again this tracking shot is a high mark (some might say THE high mark) in the film.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:16 pm

I wasn't a big fan of Spectre overall, but that opening sequence was really cool.
The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Phoenix - Speak Low
If you haven't already seen the film, then I would suggest not reading any further or watching this scene. *SPOILERS* So from this point on, let's assume you have seen Phoenix. How great was that musical finale? I admittedly wasn't as emotionally invested as I could have been in Christian Petzold's story as I could have been, given the crazy premise. However, I was completely floored by how it culminated in this scene where Nelly basically reveals her identity and stops acting. Watching Nina Hoss switch from her timid execution into a full commitment to the piece was striking, and I got chills watching this scene.

MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:38 am

Ace wrote:Spectre-Day of the Dead Celebration

Say what you will about the rest of the movie but this opening tracking shot was lovely. With all the Day of the Dead imagery it was just gorgeous to look at. Also I think that it also sort of evoked The Godfather 2 when Vito was stalking his pray as the same way Bond is doing in this one. As we follow him from the outside to the inside to the outside again this tracking shot is a high mark (some might say THE high mark) in the film.
Another reason why I dig Spectre so much. It felt like a Dalton Bond.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:14 pm

The Revenant- Opening Scene

This clip doesn't show it but this starts out with some beautiful shots that The Bad Guy can post later that are not shown. Just beautiful shots of nature in natural light. We can see why Chivo won the Oscar (even though some might say Deakins deserved it again) for his use of Natural light. It's just so beautiful and then were introduced to Leo's character hunting with this son and all the other players for the film. And then all that peace is broken by an act of violence then this big action scene comes in and wow. Such a great scene. I wish I could post some screencaps.
Samm@el

Post by Samm@el » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:33 am

Arguably the best scene in the film. Fantastic.
The Bad Guy wrote:
Mad Max: Fury Road - Sandstorm
My favorite scene from last year took place in Mad Max: Fury Road. Our protagonist, Furiosa, is driving a war rig into a massive storm. With three war parties in pursuit, she can either surrender or risk dying in the tempest. As the rig goes into the storm, the music shifts from a frenetic action score to a stunning orchestral interlude. The apocalyptic winds carry her pursuers into the sky, their bodies tossed amidst the lightning and explosions. Most movies couldn’t even dream of a scene like this. If they did, it would be saved as the epic finale after hours of buildup. The fact that this incredible sequence takes place less than a half hour into the film made it all the more stunning. I instinctively felt like I was watching one of the best action films of all time. What a lovely day!

Samm@el

Post by Samm@el » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 am

Ace wrote:The Revenant- Opening Scene

This clip doesn't show it but this starts out with some beautiful shots that The Bad Guy can post later that are not shown. Just beautiful shots of nature in natural light. We can see why Chivo won the Oscar (even though some might say Deakins deserved it again) for his use of Natural light. It's just so beautiful and then were introduced to Leo's character hunting with this son and all the other players for the film. And then all that peace is broken by an act of violence then this big action scene comes in and wow. Such a great scene. I wish I could post some screencaps.
A scene of calculating tension and immaculate editing. Establishes the grim tone wonderfully.
Samm@el

Post by Samm@el » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 am

Ace wrote:Spectre-Day of the Dead Celebration

Great Bond-ing. I loved this opening.
The Bad Guy

Post by The Bad Guy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Kylo Ren Lightsaber Duel

*Spoilers* (assuming you haven't seen Star Wars: TFA)
This scene has the added emotional weight of the Han Solo death that preceded it. Kylo Ren is clearly wounded here, but based on everything we know about him, he appears more than a formidable opponent. Fueled by anger and desperation, Rey attempts to shoot the wounded Ren, which fails and ends with her getting force pushed into a tree and knocked unconscious. When Finn reaches for Luke's saber, we know he's outmatched, and he too is quickly disarmed and defeated. But the following moment, as the lightsaber handle is whisked away from Ren and into the hands of Rey, is one of the most emotionally gratifying and memorable I saw all of last year. When the theme music began to play and she stands to confront Kylo Ren, I couldn't help but get emotional.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this scene is how it's not overly flashy. That's not to say some force moves can't be incorporated into a duel like this, but the minimalist combat was much more enjoyable to watch than Yoda doing a triple back flip etc. like in a lot of the less interesting prequel battles (I did enjoy the Darth Maul duel, however). There's a considerable amount of cuts, but it never feels like a shaky cam or Bourne-esque scene that's impossible to follow. The fight feels grounded and thoroughly engaging throughout. It's the best scene of the film, and (obviously) one of my favorite scenes of the year.

Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 am

Membs this?

:oops:
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:29 am

Yes and you can post your own pick too if you'd like.
Samm@el

Post by Samm@el » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Member when Ace and Bad Guy were listing the best scenes of 2015?

Oh yeah, I member!
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:48 pm

The Hunger Games:MockingJay Pt.2
Sewer Scene

I think this was my favorite scene in all of the series because it felt like something out of a horror movie. The setup is so perfect with the reveal and the action scene that followed. Coupled with the action scene and character moments that followed I think it was a great scene. I think why I liked it a lot was that given this was the final movie it finally felt like there were some stakes. That ANYONE could die. Even Katniss.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:49 pm

The Man from Uncle- Boat Chase
This movie was a nice surprise as I didn't expect much from it but it was nice enjoyable spy caper. Actually a lot more enjoyable that the other big spy movie this year. This scene stands out to me because this is the first time the two protagonists are working together. And it goes about as well it should and then Henry Cavill's Solo seems to get away and pauses for nice lunch...and the music kicks in. :D
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:01 am

The Man From U.N.C.L.E is awesome. I want a sequel.
Shitty Film Thread
Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:07 am

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:59 pm

"When the men from UNCLE are cruising Alvarado looking for Osama, I'll be sweating some good old-fashioned, trash-talking American dipshit!"
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed