The Random Thoughts Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Hipster Thor

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Re watching Lynch's Dune now. They may look unconventional, but hot take incoming, the shield module effect looks really cool and there is nothing else quite like it in any movie. Its so bizarre and other. I much prefer it to the conventional body force feild effects we see in the new Dune trailer.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm

There are truly no other films *like* David Lynch's Dune, and there never will be. It's like a great painting by Dali. Its not for everyone but you can vibe with it if you have an open mind. Truly spectacular production design. Most special effects hold up. I even love how the movie lets you know what characters are thinking
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 pm

I agree about Lynch's Dune. While I liked the trailer for the 2020 version and I'm excited to see it, especially since Villeneuve is my favorite working director, it made me wistful for Lynch's Dune and I don't think it's just because of nostalgia. Sure, Lynch's movie is cheesier and likely less refined, but it's oh so pleasantly strange, surreal and risky and its ingenuity makes up for its budget constraints. Like I said, I'm going in with an open mind, but qualities like those seem less likely when the budget is larger and the technology is more advanced.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:48 am

God help me, every time I learn a new technique in After Effects, I get excited. Just learned how to make it so objects "face" the camera, no matter their position. You don't have to keyframe it. The objects just "lock on." Insanity. So much time saved. Nerd life. Will be super-helpful. (Working with cameras in general is a new thing; mostly just animated objects themselves within the widescreen field.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:48 am
God help me, every time I learn a new technique in After Effects, I get excited. Just learned how to make it so objects "face" the camera, no matter their position. You don't have to keyframe it. The objects just "lock on." Insanity. So much time saved. Nerd life. Will be super-helpful. (Working with cameras in general is a new thing; mostly just animated objects themselves within the widescreen field.)
What’re you After Effectsing?

I’m editing a pilot I shot for a local show and just pulled off a simple composite of two actors together (acted separately due to COVID) and pulled it off in a few clicks. It was a gratifying mix of planning, execution and just how much I’ve learned.

Hoping to have the pilot ready to air on Halloween for a premier.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 am
What’re you After Effectsing?

I’m editing a pilot I shot for a local show and just pulled off a simple composite of two actors together (acted separately due to COVID) and pulled it off in a few clicks. It was a gratifying mix of planning, execution and just how much I’ve learned.

Hoping to have the pilot ready to air on Halloween for a premier.
Trying to make a sort of "creation" of King's Dark Tower universe, from 1969 to the present day, all as one big chart (but y'know not miserable to look at). A riff on a graphic I made before. So circles would form at different spots and slowly start to link up as the years go by, but also circling around it without text rotating backwards and becoming illegible.

Congrats on the composite! Seriously, those simple tricks can be so edifying when done just right.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am
Trying to make a sort of "creation" of King's Dark Tower universe, from 1969 to the present day, all as one big chart (but y'know not miserable to look at). A riff on a graphic I made before. So circles would form at different spots and slowly start to link up as the years go by, but also circling around it without text rotating backwards and becoming illegible.

Congrats on the composite! Seriously, those simple tricks can be so edifying when done just right.
Ah yes. I know that graphic! Well, I’m quite interested in what you put together.

Thanks! I’ve tried composite before but there’s always this moment of “the camera moved slightly” or “this didn’t line up” that makes it a nightmare but everything clicked on that one.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I got into a debate today over a remaster of Mario 64 being released today. People are upset because the release maintains its original 4:3 presentation rather than the modern standard 16:9. I argued that when they do a remaster of Seven Samurai they don't alter it to be widescreen and that they shouldn't. Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended. Am I incorrect?
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended.
This is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while. Don't waste your time arguing with this person.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:01 pm

That person probably records video vertically.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:45 pm
I got into a debate today over a remaster of Mario 64 being released today. People are upset because the release maintains its original 4:3 presentation rather than the modern standard 16:9. I argued that when they do a remaster of Seven Samurai they don't alter it to be widescreen and that they shouldn't. Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended. Am I incorrect?
Nope, you're correct. First off, older films aren't "restored" to widescreen, they're "adjusted" to widescreen, and directors and game designers organize information in the frame based on the aspect ratio they're working with. Second off, thinking you know what Kurosawa secretly wished for is a deeply stupid assumption.
NOTE:
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Well it is reassuring to know I am not crazy. But I do have to wonder if widescreen was available to filmmakers before its time if 4:3 would ever have been consciously used. But then again 4:3 I have noticed has been seeing a resurgence in recent years as a concious decision by the filmmakers to either emphasize a character or convey visual short hand for claustrophobia or a framed narrative.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm

"In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today." - Eric Rohmer
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:13 pm

That is a powerful quote, but I think its a bit harsh. I think about what Leone does with a widescreen frame.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Hah, Leone and Rohmer are both in my top 5 directors. I think both widescreen and fullscreen presentations allow for some powerful imagery and it's futile to argue about which one is superior.
replican

Post by replican » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 am

I finally figured out Norm Macdonald's brand of humor.

He's basically dirty dad jokes.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:29 am

I think that's part of it, for sure (his moth and porpoise jokes are incredibly daddy), but not all of it. He can do clean dad jokes, and he can also do excellent anti-humor. This shit is BLEAK:

NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 am

"The more I learn about Hitler, the more I don't care for him" is, like, God-tier, but it's also so much in Norm's casual delivery.
NOTE:
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Anyone in here use audible for books? I have a few questions I'd like to ask....
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:16 pm

somebody wrote a piece about how Kubrick is a toxic bro and Film Twitter got busy on it. I liked this response
admittedly I can have puritanical inclinations from time to time. some of this might be reacting to our Trump era. some of it is looking back on my high-school self, one who was attracted to these artistic depictions of male aggression (I had a Clockwork Orange phase the way some may have had a Scarface or Fight Club phase) and not quite self-aware enough to examine my own prejudices. no doubt a symptom of the immaturity and solipsism that you grow out of but I still regret things I did or said.

I agree that art need not be "responsible" (and can be bloodless when it is) but I still worry that flawed non-white, non-male, non-cis characters could be used to re-enforce bigotry. or at least not be "allowed" to be flawed even as fiction. some will say that those voices shouldn't dictate how certain groups are to be portrayed on screen and at the end of the day I'd agree it's best they don't.
replican

Post by replican » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Cancel Kubrick
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm

I think bigots will bigot, and they'll find a way to bigot whether it be through two-dimensional friendly stereotypes (how patronizing!) or three-dimensional and flawed (see! it's like we said!).

I also think some filmmakers can do such a good job of depicting how society can reward amoral behavior that a significant part of the audience takes that depiction as endorsement.

But also that significant part of the audience could simply not care even if you put a flashing neon sign above the characters that say "This is bad!" Soldiers in Afghanistan cheered along to Full Metal Jacket. If people don't want to receive a message, there's little you can do for them.

I don't know what an artist owes the audience, but I do think artists should be attentive to the ethics they're communicating through their work, since film is one of the most dominant forms of art available, and art is nothing if not communication. What are you putting into the world on spec that tens of millions of people will see and react to that communication?

I don't think they must be attentive, either. Censorship and enforced ethical messaging is so obviously corruptible. Qui custodiet and all that. And that's without getting into how trite enforced ethical messaging can be.

I think these are nuanced questions that are best considered on a case by case basis.

Also, uh, Kubrick's a big question. His emphasis was on maleness (as were so many of his peers), but he was at least unpacking his violent male characters in the process, but also that whole hundred-take thing has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I think that seemingly-draconian approach appeals to a gross sub-segment of online rational boys who like Art By Any Means Necessary (when really they're responding to the power of holding that methodology over people). Anyway, 2001 is a good flick.
NOTE:
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:53 pm

The guy that wrote that article has either not seen many of Kubrick films, or has not paid any attention to them beyond the surface.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:59 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm
I think bigots will bigot, and they'll find a way to bigot whether it be through two-dimensional friendly stereotypes (how patronizing!) or three-dimensional and flawed (see! it's like we said!).

I also think some filmmakers can do such a good job of depicting how society can reward amoral behavior that a significant part of the audience takes that depiction as endorsement.
Exactly, and I think Justine Peres Smith (wait, isn't that R0gue?) makes these points succinctly.

DaMU wrote:
also that whole hundred-take thing has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I think that seemingly-draconian approach appeals to a gross sub-segment of online rational boys who like Art By Any Means Necessary (when really they're responding to the power of holding that methodology over people).
Well, those boys need to do some more homework. I've never seen any indication that Kubrick's admittedly meticulous methodology was arbitrary. Leon Vitali (Kubrick's personal assistent whose doc Film Worker on Netflix is worth a watch) has said that Kubrick's perfectionism was from his sincere desire to simply get it right. He cared about the quality and the posterity of the work, and expected everyone else on the crew to have the same care and concern. I haven't seen any indication that Kubrick did hundreds of takes as a means to assert his God-like dominance over the set and his actors or as an indulgence. In fact, contrary to legend, the number of scenes which exceeded a hundred takes were the exception rather than the rule, and those that required it tended to be among the most difficult scenes. His need to get the best take on film is no more draconian than his need to refine all of the other production details where he was equally meticulous but with far less bruised actor egos as a result.

It reminds me of Fincher, who is also known to be fond of shooting many takes. Does he do this to assert his dominance? According to his actors, he does this to exhaust the actors' more performative histrionics so they can get down to a more genuine kernal of reaction, and likewise they tend to more often than not respect him for it. Most importantly, the film is enhanced as a result because that's what it's supposed to be about.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 pm

More generally, I loathe social media culture primarily because of the way it has encouraged such facile and impulsive "hot takes" (see replican's post), and, worse, has encouraged an almost superstitious devotion to such ill-conceived reflexes against any further reflection. People not only spout off raw unformed impressions but feel the need to dig trenches and invest all of the eggs of personal identity into these baskets. It's been openly revealed in the last few years that this is precisely how some of these social media platforms were designed to function - entice impulsive reaction, promote divisive engagement, help project a profligate and mythical self and sense of importance and to erect defensives against deeper examination and understanding. The cracks in our contemporary intellectual culture caused by this steady influence are hardly obscure at this point. People want slogans, not essays. They value tribes rather than individual perspectives. The unarticulated selfish entitlement creates its own void. I am Barry Lyndon. We're all Barry Lyndon now.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:32 am

I think people still want essays. They just care more about how many words are being used rather than if the words say anything.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:59 pm
Exactly, and I think Justine Peres Smith (wait, isn't that R0gue?)
oh shit, maybe. her handle is @redroomrantings. red rantings = philosopher rouge . it's possible!
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:44 pm

It is Rouge.
replican

Post by replican » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:48 am

DaMU wrote:

But also that significant part of the audience could simply not care even if you put a flashing neon sign above the characters that say "This is bad!" Soldiers in Afghanistan cheered along to Full Metal Jacket. If people don't want to receive a message, there's little you can do for them.

I don't know what an artist owes the audience, but I do think artists should be attentive to the ethics they're communicating through their work, since film is one of the most dominant forms of art available, and art is nothing if not communication. What are you putting into the world on spec that tens of millions of people will see and react to that communication?

I don't think they must be attentive, either. Censorship and enforced ethical messaging is so obviously corruptible. Qui custodiet and all that. And that's without getting into how trite enforced ethical messaging can be.

I think these are nuanced questions that are best considered on a case by case basis.

Also, uh, Kubrick's a big question. His emphasis was on maleness (as were so many of his peers), but he was at least unpacking his violent male characters in the process, but also that whole hundred-take thing has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I think that seemingly-draconian approach appeals to a gross sub-segment of online rational boys who like Art By Any Means Necessary (when really they're responding to the power of holding that methodology over people). Anyway, 2001 is a good flick.
I'm not sure what incident it is that you're referring to. But just wanted take issue with your assertion that them applauding during a scene that you're labeling as "this is bad" makes them out to be incorrect is...incorrect.

Most directors avoid answering questions with regards to how a scene on theme of theirs should be interpreted. They usually stress the importance of leaving it up to the viewer. Or the importance of ambiguity so that the viewer can decide on their own.

Just because I laugh at something that someone may find inappropriate or "wrong" doesn't mean the humor that I'm find in it is what the offended person is interpreting.
replican

Post by replican » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:55 am

A great auteur holding a film of theirs in low regard is almost a surefire sign that I will love the film.

This thought occurred to me after watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Brilliant film. Did some reading up on the production and John Ford was not a fan of the whole process. Lots of drama on set as well as with the studio. Ford doesn't consider it a great accomplishment. But it's a dope film.

Kubrick's first film, Fear and Desire, also comes to mind. He hated that film but it was good.

Probably has to do with the fact that the director felt like the material was great but he wasn't able to do it justice. A perfectionist approach if you will.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:40 am

replican wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:48 am
I'm not sure what incident it is that you're referring to. But just wanted take issue with your assertion that them applauding during a scene that you're labeling as "this is bad" makes them out to be incorrect is...incorrect.
My memory is that soldiers in Afghanistan cheered along not just to the expected favorites (Saving Private Ryan, et al), but also more explicitly anti-war films, but I can't find anything on the subject while Googling, so disregard.
NOTE:
replican

Post by replican » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:40 am
My memory is that soldiers in Afghanistan cheered along not just to the expected favorites (Saving Private Ryan, et al), but also more explicitly anti-war films, but I can't find anything on the subject while Googling, so disregard.
Putting aside the specific incident, do you not think judging soldiers' motivation based on what films they "cheer" on or even scenes is ridiculous?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 pm

replican wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 pm
Putting aside the specific incident, do you not think judging soldiers' motivation based on what films they "cheer" on or even scenes is ridiculous?
I would agree that, absent of context, it is. Since I wasn't able to find the anecdote and its context, I agree with you that what I posted should be ignored.
NOTE: