The Random Thoughts Thread

Discuss anything you want.
DaMU

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by DaMU » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:05 pm
Not necessarily. This franchise has taken on enough water to potentially sink.
Of course "not necessarily." That's why I limited myself to "I suspect."
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:42 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm
Of course "not necessarily." That's why I limited myself to "I suspect."
And I suspect otherwise.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:33 pm
I'll give Abrams and his co-writers credit for seeing that they were really leaning on the original film and processing that by making at least three lead characters fanboys who are deeply invested in recapturing/possessing the legacy of the last generation. Rey's big into Luke and the Jedi, Kylo reveres his grandfather's melted mask and insists "that lightsaber belongs to me!" Hux is clearly a new Tarkin, but also clearly a wannabe, a soft-faced boy overeager to wear Daddy's shoes, basically this galaxy's Large Adult Son, and him screaming like a Twitch streamer during his fascist rally-- intended or not-- evokes something true (to me) about the intersection of possessive fans and fascists as frightened people who beat back their fear through aggressive policing and control of what they value. Tradition as an enforced refuge. Again, not sure how intentional all of this is, let alone if it absolves the film of how aggressively it evokes the prior films (e.g. the Hosnian destruction / Alderaan redux is a dramatic dud). But the flick (and the two sequels) don't seem barren and mercenary so much as good-intentioned but haphazard (your mileage may vary on which ones are the most miscalculated).

I don't know if their un-spined narrative but dynamic execution is better or worse than the prequels' backboned narrative with stodgy, unconvincing execution. Call it a push. We'll always have the originals. Or the first two.
I've seen that point being made before that the obsession of the characters in Force Awakens with the previous generation's idols was a meta-commentary on JJ's overall approach to the film itself, and while I accept the intentional nature of it, and appreciate the film's self-awareness in that regard, it still didn't add much to it, because whether the films acknowledges its own derivative nature, the final result is still the same regardless, which is still me having to watch all these elements being traced over from a nearly 40 year-old film I already watched a million times when I was a kid, and if I wasn't interested in watching a new Star Wars if it refused to directly acknowledge all the inspiration it took from A New Hope, then merely admitting it isn't enough to fix that; this is a series with limitless possibilities, and I want to see new ideas from it, and from Hollywood in general, dangit.

That being said, though... Force Awakens is still easily better than any of the Prequels, IMO; a derivative but still surface-level entertaining effort is still > more ambitious but fundamentally weakly written, directed, and acted efforts all-around.
DaMU wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 pm
The prequel renaissance online is also occurring in part because children who grew up with the films are now adults and posting, and because the Clone Wars series have done the thankless work of mortaring the loose bricks for the prequels. Ahsoka Tano is as popular in online spaces as Luke and Leia. There's also entire large online forums and movements devoted to rehabilitating the bad dialogue and bad acting as intentional camp (r/prequelmemes). It seems to have worked, bizarrely enough. Whatever. If the movies are making people happy, that's not a bad thing. Sincerely.

I suspect something similar will happen with the sequels in ten years' time, when the high emotions of disappointment have faded and reconsiderations / re-evaluations will take place.
I don't know if people will like the Disney Wars films that have been released to date any better in the future, but I suspect they're be reevaluated in one direction or another, especially if Disney keeps putting out new movies, since a lot of Star Wars entries seem to be always be directly suffering or benefitting a great deal due to being compared to what came before; Return Of The Jedi suffered from being compared to the previous entries in the original trilogy, but then it benefitted from not being as disappointing as Menace or Clones, but then Sith benefitted from being marginally more focused than the previous Prequels, but then Force Awakens benefitted from being more fundamentally competent than anything in the PT; it's a vicious cycle, I tell ya.
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:39 am

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:42 pm
And I suspect otherwise.

Read My Reviews
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:39 am
A committed one, at that.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 am
I've seen that point being made before that the obsession of the characters in Force Awakens with the previous generation's idols was a meta-commentary on JJ's overall approach to the film itself, and while I accept the intentional nature of it, and appreciate the film's self-awareness in that regard, it still didn't add much to it, because whether the films acknowledges its own derivative nature, the final result is still the same regardless, which is still me having to watch all these elements being traced over from a nearly 40 year-old film I already watched a million times when I was a kid, and if I wasn't interested in watching a new Star Wars if it refused to directly acknowledge all the inspiration it took from A New Hope, then merely admitting it isn't enough to fix that; this is a series with limitless possibilities, and I want to see new ideas from it, and from Hollywood in general, dangit.
That's fair; I'm just trying to be charitable, give the film the benefit of the doubt.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:28 pm

I don't think I have much to add to what a lot of you have been saying, but I just wanted to say that I find a lot of stuff being written here re: the Star Wars saga and its impact/reception to be pretty interesting and well-written.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:09 pm

I also endorse the "characters showing fealty to past = good idea, movie showing fealty to the past = bad idea" opinion. I have plenty of Star Wars opinions but I don't know if I have any that are super unusual. nothing like Camille Paglia on RotS.

my mom expressed curiosity in watching the prequel and sequel trilogies for the first time so we watched the first 30 minutes of TPM and TFA to give her an idea of what to expect. she didn't seem too engaged by TPM. (she thought the Gungan city was very pretty though) she then had a lot of questions about the trade blockade. I told her it wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things and that George underthinks and overthinks in all the wrong places. when we watched TFA she did laugh at all the 'funny' moments. of course I told her that if we had to watch one of the two in full it would be TPM for the reasons I'm sure a lot of people have. she is a fan of Laura Dern so she better be prepared to have an opinion on TLJ.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:28 am

On that star wars note, I just rewatched a bit of the Revenge of the Sith Plinkett review and, my god, it's absurdly negative.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Watched the pilot episode of Charlie's Angels. Tommy Lee Jones appears. I knew what I was getting into, but I still can't quite get over how vapid and sexist it all was. And orchestral Disco music.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 pm

In The Black Dahlia, Scarlett Johannson calls Aaron Eckhart and Josh Hartnett her "two super cops." I can't help but think the movie would have been better if Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh had played them instead.
Last Great Movie Seen
Tangerines (Urushadze, 2013)
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 pm
In The Black Dahlia, Scarlett Johannson calls Aaron Eckhart and Josh Hartnett her "two super cops." I can't help but think the movie would have been better if Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh had played them instead.
Super Cop is one of Jackie's best, IMO.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Well, 21 years ago on this day, the world was blessed with a Popcorn Reviews.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 pm

*hands old Pop a beer*
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:53 pm

*downs the entire can within seconds*
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Happy birthday.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Happy Birthday Popcorn!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm

CHOOSE YOUR BOOZE LET'S HIT THE RED EYE!

happy 21st
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm
So 1999 gave us Popcorn Reviews AND Jar Jar Binks. :P
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks y'all!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Happy birthday, Pops. Your conscientiousness and kindness give me hope for the future. I hope you're able to have a fun celebration while under quarantine.
Last Great Movie Seen
Tangerines (Urushadze, 2013)
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:43 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm
Happy Birthday, Pop! Hope you have a great day.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:35 am

Thanks, you two. I stayed at home due to the coronavirus. We got a carry out from a nice restaurant and had cake after dinner. I also got a couple movies which should arrive in a day or two, so that's also good.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:14 am

Happy birthday, Popcorn! If you are 21 years old, than I must be the youngest person on here, huh? :D
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:03 am

Happy Birthday, yo. Hope that was some groovy take out and groovier movies ordered.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks, you two. It was a good day.
Ivan_Drago

Post by Ivan_Drago » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 am

Hey, y'all. You may or may not remember me from the RT days (posted there from 2002-2005 or so), but I was rockyrules there, and Ivan Drago on The Axis of Evil/Match Cut. Thought I'd dip my toes here after Stu sent us a link to this forum. Looking forward to reconnecting and catching up with you guys here!
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:36 am

Ivan_Drago wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 am
Hey, y'all. You may or may not remember me from the RT days (posted there from 2002-2005 or so), but I was rockyrules there, and Ivan Drago on The Axis of Evil/Match Cut. Thought I'd dip my toes here after Stu sent us a link to this forum. Looking forward to reconnecting and catching up with you guys here!

Welcome to teh Corrie, Ivan!

Read My Reviews
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:42 pm

:D Welcome!
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:37 pm

I remember Ivan...
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:00 pm

John Dumbear wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:37 pm
I remember Ivan...
Sounds familiar...
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 am

Ivan_Drago wrote:
I remember rocky. Didn't dive deep into match-cut. Welcome. I seldom post.
replican

Post by replican » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:42 am

Stu on the recruiting trail? I like it.

I miss RT
replican

Post by replican » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:43 am

Ivan_Drago wrote:
Are you the one that was Bob Dylan fan?
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 am

replican wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:43 am
Are you the one that was Bob Dylan fan?
Did you know that Dylan is a BIG fan of Clerks?
replican

Post by replican » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:33 am

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 am
Did you know that Dylan is a BIG fan of Clerks?
Googling didn't pull anything up.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 am

replican wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:33 am
Googling didn't pull anything up.
It's not the sort of thing Google would tell you. It's the sort of thing I would tell you, without evidence, because in my heart I know that it should be true. And that's what really matters. Not the world as we find it, but as it should be.
replican

Post by replican » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:27 am

I think Dylan is a Purple Rain kinda guy
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 am

I demand more random thoughts.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 am

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 am
I demand more random thoughts.
I like pie.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:26 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 am
I like pie.
I think Quentin Tarantino does too. It's one of those things that pops up in his writing.

We're so hung up on his foot fetish that we forget that he also appreciates a good piece of pie.

Now, me? A pie can't be a mess all over the plate. It has to hold together in a wedge. If I wanted a cobbler, I would've ordered a fuckin' cobbler. And don't be melting any cheese-wedges over it. People in Wisconsin are insane. Pie à la Mode is OK, but don't turn into a sundae. Restraint people. Just enough ice cream to melt at a proper rate over the pie without it turning into soup.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:50 am

"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:31 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 am
I like pie.
Love baking pies, love eating pies.
NOTE:
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Crumbles > Pies
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:05 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:16 pm
Crumbles > Pies
In fairness, have never baked a crumble. Should give it a shot. Recommendations?
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:18 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:05 pm
In fairness, have never baked a crumble. Should give it a shot. Recommendations?
Apple crumbles are pretty good.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:05 pm
Any old crumble, or crisp, will do - peach, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry. It's one of those recipes which is best suited for experimentation so even with a base recipe on hand you can tailor it - like, substituting rolled oats for fancier grains and nuts. It's that reason of having an oat base over a crust base which I ultimately prefer, the oat base is far more modular
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:26 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 pm
Any old crumble, or crisp, will do - peach, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry. It's one of those recipes which is best suited for experimentation so even with a base recipe on hand you can tailor it - like, substituting rolled oats for fancier grains and nuts. It's that reason of having an oat base over a crust base which I ultimately prefer, the oat base is far more modular
:up:

This is good info, thanks, I've done a fair share of oat-based baking (cookies and crisps), so the shift to crumble will probably be easy as, uh, you know, the other thing.
NOTE:
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:59 pm

I've never had apple pan dowdy. They made the song about it. To me it is the Bigfoot of deserts along with the Lochness Shoofly Pie - heard of but never seen. Delectable but mythical.
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:53 pm

We're finally getting that directors cut of Rocky IV we always wondered about.
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--