Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Skitch » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:03 pm

*wakes up from drunken stupor*

Where the hell am I?
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Skitch!
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm

topherH wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:53 pm
We're finally getting that directors cut of Rocky IV we always wondered about.
Apparently it's going to lose Paulie's robot though. Terrible news.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 pm

I heard about that too and of a rumor I did not know even existed:
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm

Rock wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm
Apparently it's going to lose Paulie's robot though. Terrible news.
It really tied the movie together, imo.
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:10 am

"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:21 am

Very upset, tbh.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:23 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:21 am
Very upset, tbh.
Don't worry, DaMU. We're still a ways off from the Rocky III director's cut that removes Paulie drunkenly throwing a liquor bottle at a Rocky pinball machine.
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:23 am

^The best Paulie scene, imo.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 am

There are too many great Paulie scenes to qualify. I'm not going to be the arbiter of that impossible task.

What is the point of a no robot Rocky 4 though? Does it distract from people taking the film seriously? Unless he's planing on using the robot to replace his son in his directors cut of part 5, this seems like a very bad decision.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:26 am

I'd like to see this deleted scene make it into the new cut:

:shifty:
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:10 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 am
There are too many great Paulie scenes to qualify. I'm not going to be the arbiter of that impossible task.

What is the point of a no robot Rocky 4 though? Does it distract from people taking the film seriously? Unless he's planing on using the robot to replace his son in his directors cut of part 5, this seems like a very bad decision.
I have to assume it was a promise to a dying Paulie.

"Rocky... no one must ever know...I fucked that robot..." *dies*
____
Blog!
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:22 pm

"If I can change...this robot can change...."
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm okay with it. But in the future, if they do the same with Lando's L3-37, that's crossing the line.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:53 pm

The Rocky IV director's cut ends with Brigitte Nielsen riding a nuke headed for Philly, a la Slim Pickens.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:10 am
I have to assume it was a promise to a dying Paulie.

"Rocky... no one must ever know...I fucked that robot..." *dies*
If one is willing to embrace the Rocky's franchise walkaway from a modest drama of an underdog towards the 80's superhero excess it became, basically mirroring the trajectory of what happened with American film from mid 70's to mid 80's, robot fucking is basically the best possible send off for the Paulie character.

This is an American tragedy
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Still upset. You hate the robot, Stallone? Too bad, my dude, because the robot is fucking canon. And fucking canon.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 am

The nature of accepted criticism in the 21st Century has changed. Media is judged directly against other pieces of media, and praise of a piece is just an excuse to tear another thing down. "Look how good X is, it doesn't do this thing like Y does." The YouTube video essay boom killed the notion of judging a work on its own. The context by which it is judged is based on the context of other media rather than the socio-polotical context of the world it was made in.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 am

The exclusion of the robot will heighten otherwise realistic premise of an American boxer ending the Cold War by beating a Russian boxer in an international bout.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 pm
Still upset. You hate the robot, Stallone? Too bad, my dude, because the robot is fucking canon. And fucking canon.
Is the canon where Paulie put his penis?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 am
Is the canon where Paulie put his penis?
These are the questions Stallone is too cowardly to answer.
NOTE:
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:35 am

Someday, when the pandemic has past and things turn to the new "normal" people will say to each other with total sincerity, "Oh, hi there. I didn't recognize you without your mask!"
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 am

Hipster Thor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 am
The nature of accepted criticism in the 21st Century has changed. Media is judged directly against other pieces of media, and praise of a piece is just an excuse to tear another thing down. "Look how good X is, it doesn't do this thing like Y does." The YouTube video essay boom killed the notion of judging a work on its own. The context by which it is judged is based on the context of other media rather than the socio-polotical context of the world it was made in.
Are there specific YouTubers you're thinking of? I'd agree that YouTube video essays are often incredibly simplistic in terms of analysis (or too busy placating and exploring easy superficialities), but I'm less familiar with the idea of contextualizing media against other media. Honestly, the most vivid example I can think of in terms of reliably using the "X is good while Y is bad" paradigm is Armond White.
NOTE:
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 am

Hipster Thor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 am
This is why I largely live in a youtube, and social media in general, bubble. Too many critics in the kitchen, everyone with a typewriter contributes to the ever-shifting algorithmic pie graph which makes up the internet and all commerce in concert with it. It's pretty trippy to think that something like Honest Trailers had impact on Marvel's marketing (The Russo's wanted to make a Honest Trailers-proof trailer for I believe Civil War). The reality is the internet is exposure based so people follow the pop culture money as far as branding themselves is concerned, and thus fuels pop culture warfare as means of generating yet more content. It's very messy, and one of those areas where I'd argue in favor of a meritocracy which extends beyond viewership. Like, when I watch someone on Twitch there's probably a reason and that reason is proooobably gameplay. You don't watch random scrubs play Rocket League, you watch the 30k hour pros who have tournament wins on their belt. That isn't to say that the pros are the most popular streamers - I'm just speaking from personal experience. That's my issue with Youtube critique is you don't get a good sense of someone's credentials aside from the amount of Funko Pop sitting on their shelves. There isn't really a filtration system installed in Youtube which makes it clear who exactly the cream of the crop is, and if said cream got there because of their exorbitant Funko Pop collection in favor of their general knowledge. There's just so much digging I'm willing to do, it's like personality presides critique where you have to have an idea of who exactly is critiquing what and why. Like, look at the world's busiest music nerd, Anthony Fantano, are we really exploring music critique or is it like watching some twisted sitcom which happens to feature music critique? Meta
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:16 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:32 am
These are the questions Stallone is too cowardly to answer.
#ReleaseThePaulieCut
____
Blog!
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 am
Are there specific YouTubers you're thinking of? I'd agree that YouTube video essays are often incredibly simplistic in terms of analysis (or too busy placating and exploring easy superficialities), but I'm less familiar with the idea of contextualizing media against other media. Honestly, the most vivid example I can think of in terms of reliably using the "X is good while Y is bad" paradigm is Armond White.
I suppose it started off today when I watched Patrick Willem's (supposedly one of the good ones) video on what he calls "Gonzo Blockbusters" (vomits). Its terrible and presumptuous. I think he's almost complete wrong in his thesis.

https://youtu.be/pgBfH4puWAU

Another thing that is annoying me are reductive takes on David Lynch's Dune film, the continuous toxic Lucasfilm/DC/MCU/GameOfThrones "look how much better this does thing, this person should be fired" discourse, and a conversation I had today about Tenent having practical effects cause it makes it "better" than movies that use CG, like CG work is lazy? All modern blockbusters are just dry and terrible and bland compared to daddy Villenueve/Nolan takes everywhere. It's just....*sigh*
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 am
I just don't see the value of getting wrapped up over someone with sub-100k viewers and sub-1mil subscribers has to say. Like, where do we draw the line between discourse and pissing into a sea of piss? It's not like these people are impacting anything, like, bottom of the pyramid stuff. Like, he's trying to grow a channel and channels grow via discourse, I know you are posting for example's sake but you are still doing exactly what that essay intended... share it, talk about it. Right, wrong, no bad publicity in these waters unless you actively do not play the game. Hot takes are allllllll a trick, you get people wrapped up in some democratic argument based on whatever's popular and when the feathers fly and the dust settles all of a sudden you have 10k more subscribers. Do you think, for a more prominent less pissing into a sea of piss example, that JK Rowling is well and truly "cancelled"? It's allllll business. Calculated stuff.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:55 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 am
I demand more random thoughts.
Is Christopher Nolan's favorite actor David Tenet?
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Torgo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:55 pm
Is Christopher Nolan's favorite actor David Tenet?
I assumed the movie was about his favourite Director of Central Intelligence, George Tenet.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 am
I suppose it started off today when I watched Patrick Willem's (supposedly one of the good ones) video on what he calls "Gonzo Blockbusters" (vomits). Its terrible and presumptuous. I think he's almost complete wrong in his thesis.

Yeah, I enjoy Willems broadly (I could take or leave his skits but think he sometimes makes good points), but that video seemed awfully vague and sort of "because I said so," even for him. There some merit, though, in wanting (some) blockbusters to be more bananas imaginative.

The objection I thought of with his thesis was something like Edwards' Godzilla, where you achieve awe of VFX via how the director carefully works toward the moments of grandeur. You can awe people with daffy imagination, sure, but you can also just roll up your sleeves and work on the craft.
the continuous toxic Lucasfilm/DC/MCU/GameOfThrones "look how much better this does thing, this person should be fired"
Yeah, that stuff can be toxic, fo sho.
discourse, and a conversation I had today about Tenent having practical effects cause it makes it "better" than movies that use CG, like CG work is lazy?
Yeah, that's a reductive argument.

Some of it, I think, is more a consequence of the demographic of people (cishet white men) who try to dominate the cultural conversation online, and how they sort of naturally congregate to certain opinions due to some core psychology and assumptions (Nolan is mathematical and precise and clever, therefore his Art is Good) and reinforce each other until those opinions become something closer to obvious statements of reality.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm

What are some women authors you all enjoy? Trying to diversify the ol' palette. Most of the authors I've read and know are out of the gothic/horror traditions. Emily Bronte, Daphe du Maurier, Shirley Jackson, Mary Shelley, a bit of PD James. I've read recent novels by NK Jemisin (eh), Lauren Beukes (rad!), and Sarah Lotz (pretty good!).

Feel like Agatha Christie is a safe bet.
NOTE:
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 am

Lydia Davis. Flannery O'Connor. Samantha Hunt seems to have the knack. All of them are known for their short stories. Hm.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:22 am

Flannery O Connor
Carson McCulllers
Dodie Smith (Capture the Castle)

And all of Shirley Jackson's less known work (Sundial, Birdnest and a deep dive into her short stories)
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:27 am

Patricia Highsmith. Ripley Under Ground absolutely fucks (or "slaps", if we want to keep it family friendly).
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:03 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:27 am
Patricia Highsmith. Ripley Under Ground absolutely fucks (or "slaps", if we want to keep it family friendly).
Thank you for not saying fuck.
NOTE:
kgaard.

Post by kgaard. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:52 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm
What are some women authors you all enjoy? Trying to diversify the ol' palette. Most of the authors I've read and know are out of the gothic/horror traditions. Emily Bronte, Daphe du Maurier, Shirley Jackson, Mary Shelley, a bit of PD James. I've read recent novels by NK Jemisin (eh), Lauren Beukes (rad!), and Sarah Lotz (pretty good!).

Feel like Agatha Christie is a safe bet.
I'm a huge Christie fan--I have all of her mystery works (I'm not a fan of her Westmacott novels), including a first edition of the one with the hugely inappropriate title (more widely known as And Then There Were None). She's not a great writer by any means but she was fantastic at constructing mysteries.

George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), on the other hand, is a great writer and Middlemarch is one of the great novels of all time. I will fight anyone who disagrees. Not on the same level, but Octavia Butler, Josephine Tey, and Zora Neale Hurston are all top writers.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Some great names mentioned already. Not sure what kind of stuff you like beyond the gothic/horror, but I'm currently reading Wolf Hall and am really digging it as everyone told me I would.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm

kgaard. wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:52 pm
I'm a huge Christie fan--I have all of her mystery works (I'm not a fan of her Westmacott novels), including a first edition of the one with the hugely inappropriate title (more widely known as And Then There Were None). She's not a great writer by any means but she was fantastic at constructing mysteries.

George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), on the other hand, is a great writer and Middlemarch is one of the great novels of all time. I will fight anyone who disagrees. Not on the same level, but Octavia Butler, Josephine Tey, and Zora Neale Hurston are all top writers.
I started Middlemarch last year, but because I seem to have developed some middle aged version of ADD, I couldn't focus on it and so am waiting until I get my brain in order before trying again.
kgaard.

Post by kgaard. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm
I started Middlemarch last year, but because I seem to have developed some middle aged version of ADD, I couldn't focus on it and so am waiting until I get my brain in order before trying again.
I suffered from this reading Henry James's The Ambassadors this summer, so I feel you.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence is probably my favorite book of all time, if that's worth something.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Is the request genre specific?

Ursula Le Guin, Toni Morrison, Isabel Allende, Anais Nin (her fiction is underrated), Bari Wood, Anne Fuller, Mahokaru Numata, Sarah Vowell, Dorothy Parker, Joan Didion, Diane Johnson, Annie Proulx.

I never really believe what women tell me.
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 pm
I never really believe what women tell me.
Yeah, but, how did you feel?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm

topherH wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:54 pm
Yeah, but, how did you feel?
I usually started with the knees.
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm
I usually started with the knees.
Like Kaep.

Hey guys, Nolan's back and he's doing stuff.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the rec's everybody.

It's funny, looking at the ol' bookcase the other day, it's kinda clear how much of the western (American?) canon declares itself through white male authors. Shouldn't be surprised, obviously, it was just weird to see such an object example of that truth.
NOTE:
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:40 am

kgaard. wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm
I suffered from this reading Henry James's The Ambassadors this summer, so I feel you.
This is a legit problem. I recommend using an audio-reader (there are some good ones out there) to help get into the "zone" or a flow-state of reading. If you cannot discipline your eye directly, you can begin with the ear and transition back to the page.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Dune trailer is like watching the scenes from the David Lynch film directly translated. I will die on the hill that Lynch's Dune is good. The scenes they showed are so similar.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:13 pm

Dune looks hot af, Villeneuve has such an eye for scope and this also seems to have a lot of influence from Jodorowsky's vision, the Floyd, the aircraft. Great stuff
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of how washed-out the cinematography is. I saw it was shot by the same guy who shot Rogue One and is shooting the new Batman movie so lots of "we're making a serious movie here, people" vibes.

and I too am a Lynch-Dune apologist. it's not "good" but it's very weird and that can be enough. surely more distinctive than a lot of the 80's sci-fi/fantasy stuff that followed Star Wars. or: instead of saying it my least-favorite Lynch movie I like to think of it as my 10th favorite.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 pm
I'm not a big fan of how washed-out the cinematography is. I saw it was shot by the same guy who shot Rogue One
That's why that's all it looked like to me!

It looks pretty generic. I know sci-fi has converged towards a certain brand of aesthetics these days, but I'm super let down by how this looks. I saw so much hype around it, I was expecting something super distinctive and unique, but it looks like any other trailer right now. I might see it if the Rt score is over 95%.