The Random Thoughts Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Hipster Thor

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Re watching Lynch's Dune now. They may look unconventional, but hot take incoming, the shield module effect looks really cool and there is nothing else quite like it in any movie. Its so bizarre and other. I much prefer it to the conventional body force feild effects we see in the new Dune trailer.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm

There are truly no other films *like* David Lynch's Dune, and there never will be. It's like a great painting by Dali. Its not for everyone but you can vibe with it if you have an open mind. Truly spectacular production design. Most special effects hold up. I even love how the movie lets you know what characters are thinking
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 pm

I agree about Lynch's Dune. While I liked the trailer for the 2020 version and I'm excited to see it, especially since Villeneuve is my favorite working director, it made me wistful for Lynch's Dune and I don't think it's just because of nostalgia. Sure, Lynch's movie is cheesier and likely less refined, but it's oh so pleasantly strange, surreal and risky and its ingenuity makes up for its budget constraints. Like I said, I'm going in with an open mind, but qualities like those seem less likely when the budget is larger and the technology is more advanced.
Last Great Movie Seen
Tangerines (Urushadze, 2013)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:48 am

God help me, every time I learn a new technique in After Effects, I get excited. Just learned how to make it so objects "face" the camera, no matter their position. You don't have to keyframe it. The objects just "lock on." Insanity. So much time saved. Nerd life. Will be super-helpful. (Working with cameras in general is a new thing; mostly just animated objects themselves within the widescreen field.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:48 am
God help me, every time I learn a new technique in After Effects, I get excited. Just learned how to make it so objects "face" the camera, no matter their position. You don't have to keyframe it. The objects just "lock on." Insanity. So much time saved. Nerd life. Will be super-helpful. (Working with cameras in general is a new thing; mostly just animated objects themselves within the widescreen field.)
What’re you After Effectsing?

I’m editing a pilot I shot for a local show and just pulled off a simple composite of two actors together (acted separately due to COVID) and pulled it off in a few clicks. It was a gratifying mix of planning, execution and just how much I’ve learned.

Hoping to have the pilot ready to air on Halloween for a premier.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 am
What’re you After Effectsing?

I’m editing a pilot I shot for a local show and just pulled off a simple composite of two actors together (acted separately due to COVID) and pulled it off in a few clicks. It was a gratifying mix of planning, execution and just how much I’ve learned.

Hoping to have the pilot ready to air on Halloween for a premier.
Trying to make a sort of "creation" of King's Dark Tower universe, from 1969 to the present day, all as one big chart (but y'know not miserable to look at). A riff on a graphic I made before. So circles would form at different spots and slowly start to link up as the years go by, but also circling around it without text rotating backwards and becoming illegible.

Congrats on the composite! Seriously, those simple tricks can be so edifying when done just right.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am
Trying to make a sort of "creation" of King's Dark Tower universe, from 1969 to the present day, all as one big chart (but y'know not miserable to look at). A riff on a graphic I made before. So circles would form at different spots and slowly start to link up as the years go by, but also circling around it without text rotating backwards and becoming illegible.

Congrats on the composite! Seriously, those simple tricks can be so edifying when done just right.
Ah yes. I know that graphic! Well, I’m quite interested in what you put together.

Thanks! I’ve tried composite before but there’s always this moment of “the camera moved slightly” or “this didn’t line up” that makes it a nightmare but everything clicked on that one.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I got into a debate today over a remaster of Mario 64 being released today. People are upset because the release maintains its original 4:3 presentation rather than the modern standard 16:9. I argued that when they do a remaster of Seven Samurai they don't alter it to be widescreen and that they shouldn't. Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended. Am I incorrect?
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended.
This is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while. Don't waste your time arguing with this person.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:01 pm

That person probably records video vertically.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:45 pm
I got into a debate today over a remaster of Mario 64 being released today. People are upset because the release maintains its original 4:3 presentation rather than the modern standard 16:9. I argued that when they do a remaster of Seven Samurai they don't alter it to be widescreen and that they shouldn't. Person responds that films from that era can be restored to widescreen and are frequently and widescreen is what the directors would have intended. Am I incorrect?
Nope, you're correct. First off, older films aren't "restored" to widescreen, they're "adjusted" to widescreen, and directors and game designers organize information in the frame based on the aspect ratio they're working with. Second off, thinking you know what Kurosawa secretly wished for is a deeply stupid assumption.
NOTE:
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Well it is reassuring to know I am not crazy. But I do have to wonder if widescreen was available to filmmakers before its time if 4:3 would ever have been consciously used. But then again 4:3 I have noticed has been seeing a resurgence in recent years as a concious decision by the filmmakers to either emphasize a character or convey visual short hand for claustrophobia or a framed narrative.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm

"In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today." - Eric Rohmer
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:13 pm

That is a powerful quote, but I think its a bit harsh. I think about what Leone does with a widescreen frame.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Hah, Leone and Rohmer are both in my top 5 directors. I think both widescreen and fullscreen presentations allow for some powerful imagery and it's futile to argue about which one is superior.
replican

Post by replican » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 am

I finally figured out Norm Macdonald's brand of humor.

He's basically dirty dad jokes.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:29 am

I think that's part of it, for sure (his moth and porpoise jokes are incredibly daddy), but not all of it. He can do clean dad jokes, and he can also do excellent anti-humor. This shit is BLEAK:

NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 am

"The more I learn about Hitler, the more I don't care for him" is, like, God-tier, but it's also so much in Norm's casual delivery.
NOTE:
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Anyone in here use audible for books? I have a few questions I'd like to ask....
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--