Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am

Had a great time with "Crawl." Fans of the Shallows will be quite happy as there's quite a bit of overlap and similarities, though it's not without Aja flourishes. Plus, Barry Pepper!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm
I've been checking in on the Youtube Dick Cavett channel occasionally. They posted some good 1978 clips with De Palma and Scorsese a few months back. More recently they posted from the "Horror Masters" episode, which is basically a sit-down with Stephen King, George Romero, Ira Levin and Peter Straub in 1980. I'll stick the full episode from another channel here.

I watched the DePalma/Scorsese ones. Funny that they were considered either equals or was DePalma (it seemed from the videos) actually the more revered of the two at the time (or did he just talk more game)?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Is Sleepaway Camp 2 actually worth my time?
I hate wasting my time on genuinely bad movies or at least bad movies without an upside.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am
Funny that they were considered either equals or was DePalma (it seemed from the videos) actually the more revered of the two at the time (or did he just talk more game)?
It's odd nowadays to think how unsuccessful Scorsese was. (Outside of Wolf of Wall Street, it stands to reason today.) DePalma, at that time, was considered the more successful filmmaker. Carrie far outgrossed Scorsese's films at the time, and The Fury, which DePalma was promoting in that clip, was given a more powerful studio push than any of Marty's films up to that point. Scorsese had the critics, and the critical momentum, but not the box office, and rarely was he able to balance both.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm
Is Sleepaway Camp 2 actually worth my time?
I hate wasting my time on genuinely bad movies or at least bad movies without an upside.
I watched it back in February for Thief's thread. Here's what I wrote:

A sequel: Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers

Well, it's been a lazy Sunday morning, that's for sure!

Since talking about any element of this film gives away the ending of the first movie, I'm just going to out the whole review in spoiler tags, but I won't be spoiling the film that I'm talking about (not that there's much to spoil!).
So at the end of the first Sleepaway Camp, we learn that Angela has been the killer all along and that she's mentally disturbed from the way that she was treated by her aunt after the death of her father and brother.

Where the sequel begins, Angela is out of the mental hospital and she's gotten herself a job at Camp Rolling Hills. There's no "is she the killer this time?" mystery. Within the first 5 minutes of running time she's dispatched a naughty camper who was *gasp* hanging out with boys and drinking. The film turns into Angela's increasingly wide net of who "deserves" to be killed, hacking, burning, and garroting her way through anyone that displays bad behavior.

I think that I'd have liked this film a bit more if it didn't have the spectre of the first film hanging over it. This isn't a bad film at all. In fact, I found it pretty funny and engaging. But frankly I did not care for what they did with the character of Angela. If this had been a stand-alone film, I would have actually really dug it. I just couldn't get over the completely different dynamic. This isn't a film where kills have meaning--it's a hack-and-slash, quippy slasher.

I did think that the film did a good job of having a relatable, likable character in camp attendee Molly. Everyone else is varying degrees of hateable. There's the queen bitch Ally, who constantly refers to Angela as "the dyke". There's TC, the counselor who looks at a picture of a topless teenager and remarks "Nice tits!". Valerie Hartman, who plays Ally, must have set a record for number of topless scenes. Her breasts are bared repeatedly, to the point where it's like "Why is this happening?". One of the things that I liked about the first film was that the kids actually looked like teens and pre-teens. The "teens" in this film are a weird mix of actual teens and then some 20-somethings who were hired to be the ones to take their shirts off. The need to keep showing the handful of 20-somethings topless kind of marred the film for me. The film isn't at all equitable with its nudity, and so it feels very director-pervy. In fact, Hartman had to film a sex scene with a stand-in because the person playing her hook-up was a minor at the time. I was delighted to find out that Valerie Hartman worked as a crew member on the third film, as a raccoon wrangler.
I wish this film wasn't part of the Sleepaway Camp universe. I would definitely have enjoyed it as a stand-alone. But with my fondness for the first film looming over it, this one couldn't quite compare. Still, Pamela's Springsteen's chipper slasher is a lot of fun.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am

I liked Sleepaway Camp and the second one. The third one sucks, though.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I caught Vampyr on TCM last week and I really liked it. For a movie that's not quite a silent movie and not quite a talkie and that came out in 1932, it's surprisingly visually inventive. From its unusual camera placements to its use of shadows, it does things that I've not only seen before, but also seem like they've been praised for being innovative in movies that use similar effects that came out much later, whether they are Citizen Kane or Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. They're also things I'd trade for all of the CGI hair follicles, CGI aging/de-aging or armies of millions of CGI soldiers in the world. All the same, and most importantly, the movie is as unsettling and creepy as you'd want a movie with the title of Vampyr to be.

With this and The Passion of Joan of Arc, Dreyer is two for two and 10/10 for 10/10 in my book. It's too bad the rest of his catalog is so inaccessible.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm
With this and The Passion of Joan of Arc, Dreyer is two for two and 10/10 for 10/10 in my book. It's too bad the rest of his catalog is so inaccessible.
I don't know if you're limited by your region, but Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, is available to rent/buy on YouTube / Google Play / Apple / Vudu.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 pm
I don't know if you're limited by your region, but Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, is available to rent/buy on YouTube / Google Play / Apple / Vudu.
Murnau actually directed that one, but thanks for letting me know since it's been on my must-see list for a long time.
I think Dreyer's other must-see is Ordet, which is out of print on Criterion and not streaming anywhere. Bummer.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Murnau actually directed that one, but thanks for letting me know since it's been on my must-see list for a long time.
I think Dreyer's other must-see is Ordet, which is out of print on Criterion and not streaming anywhere. Bummer.
Oh goddamnit you're right. Me and my Monday morning brain.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:41 am

Braid had a LOT of flaws, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It gets a few extra points for being a female-centric, messed up story that is free of the usual pervy male gaze. And fortunately it wasn't quite as violent as I'd worried it might be based on the trailer I saw.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Multiple trusted sources warned me that The Predator was terrible but noooo I just had to see for myself, didn't I??
:(
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Multiple trusted sources warned me that The Predator was terrible but noooo I just had to see for myself, didn't I??
Worst wide release film because there's no reasonable excuse for how terrible it is and what it did to the franchise.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Is Master of the House no longer available? Not that it is quite at the same level as those other two, but...

Also I'd argue that Day of Wrath is pretty much mandatory as well, but if Ordet is OP, I'd imagine it is too.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm
Is Master of the House no longer available? Not that it is quite at the same level as those other two, but...

Also I'd argue that Day of Wrath is pretty much mandatory as well, but if Ordet is OP, I'd imagine it is too.
MoH is available. DoW is not.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Looks like Day of Wrath is on Apple. Sweet!
This gem also came up in my search. Every time you look for a movie, there's one with the same title starring Christopher Lambert.

Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Imagine a film where you have to rewind twice to actually see how the villain died.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Imagine a film where you have to rewind twice to actually see how the villain died.
And when you finally understand... It's still stupid.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:34 am

Dreyer's Michael, guys. C'mon. And Gertrud? Fantastic broad.