Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 am
Boy, IT: Return of Pennywise...

boy oh boy.

Um...

......welp.
All the bonkers shit in this movie, but oh no a cosmic turtle would've been toooooooo much.
The loss of Chung-hoon Chung as DP and the fact that this script has a sole author, Gary Dauberman, instead of the leftover input of Fukunaga.

You can tell.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Maybe it's just that I so recently read (and was grossed out by--not in a good way) the novel, but I can't even muster the slightest interest in IT. Like, zero. And it's got Bill Hader in it for crying out loud!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm

I've never loved the novel (I'm sure your "it's gross in a bad way" comment is more thoughtful than my take on the book's grossness), but the first flick was an entertaining coming-of-age spook-a-blast, and I was hoping the second flick might find solutions to the book's problems.

The casting of Bill Hader and James Ransone was ingenious. They're fantastic.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm forever going to take some credit for Ransone being cast.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Hey, what's the 411 on Manhattan Baby?

Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm

If you like Fulci you'll get something out of it (his visual style is on point), but he clearly struggles with the relatively family friendly content. Not one of his better movies but still worth a watch if you're a fan.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Manhattan Baby is pretty lesser Fulci.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Today I had myself a thirties double feature on the big screen with Duck Soup and, the movie that does fit this thread, The Black Cat (1934). Featuring Bela Lugosi as a Hungarian doctor who as a decade long vendetta with the Austrian architect played by Boris Karloff, a man with a preference for the macabre. Because of circumstances, a young couple gets mixed up in all of this.

I was really prepared to fully adore this movie, but ended up merely liking it, which of course means it is far from bad. The young couple is unbelievably dull, possibly even purposefully so, as a contrast to the eerie-ness of Karloff and Lugosi (who really hams it up in this one). The production suffered because of many studio interferences, and it shows. You get the sense the filmmaker is holding, like the movie never becomes as dark as it wants to, as it needs to.

The production design of this film is amazing, Karloff's house looks like what the devil would consider "cozy", filled with diagonal shapes and sharp edges. Even Karloff's hair, make-up and wardrobe fits in with the rest of the decor. It would've been interesting to see what Ulmer would have directed otherwise if he didn't got blacklisted for having that affair with a Universal Studio's producer.

Anyone else seen this one and has any opinions on it they'd like to share?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Slentert wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm
Today I had myself a thirties double feature on the big screen with Duck Soup and, the movie that does fit this thread, The Black Cat (1934). Featuring Bela Lugosi as a Hungarian doctor who as a decade long vendetta with the Austrian architect played by Boris Karloff, a man with a preference for the macabre. Because of circumstances, a young couple gets mixed up in all of this.

I was really prepared to fully adore this movie, but ended up merely liking it, which of course means it is far from bad. The young couple is unbelievably dull, possibly even purposefully so, as a contrast to the eerie-ness of Karloff and Lugosi (who really hams it up in this one). The production suffered because of many studio interferences, and it shows. You get the sense the filmmaker is holding, like the movie never becomes as dark as it wants to, as it needs to.

The production design of this film is amazing, Karloff's house looks like what the devil would consider "cozy", filled with diagonal shapes and sharp edges. Even Karloff's hair, make-up and wardrobe fits in with the rest of the decor. It would've been interesting to see what Ulmer would have directed otherwise if he didn't got blacklisted for having that affair with a Universal Studio's producer.

I've seen it once or twice. Or a hundred. ;)
The production design is definitely the star, and especially so since it doesn't rely on Universal's usual standbys of cobwebs and fog. There are no 30s horror films that look like this one. Not sure how many Lugosi/Karloff team-ups you've seen, but Bela often seems to be upstaged by Boris, and this is one time where I don't think that's the case. Fun to watch them go toe-to-toe on equal footing for a change. And the scene where Dr. Pigs-low gets skinned alive in silhouette is one of the more gruesome moments in 30s horror movies.

(Duck Soup is also a favorite. Nice double feature)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Went and saw Ready or Not again (with my sister and with her husband and a friend who both had not seen the film before). Liked it just as much as the first time and noticed some fun details that come with knowing the full trajectory of the story. (For example, one of the
games on the game shelf is called "Sunrise", and it sits right below the game called "Family Ritual".
One thing that I noticed this time was the way that the score evolved with the main character's emotions, and specifically her feelings about her husband.

And this time, knowing that it was coming, I felt like the
scream that Grace does as she gets off of the table the second time
is just the best thing ever.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am

All of this Ready or Not talk had made me curious. Love. Hate. Sounds promising for some kind of reaction.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am
All of this Ready or Not talk had made me curious. Love. Hate. Sounds promising for some kind of reaction.
Well, let me be very specific: this is the kind of light horror-comedy where I find the jokes mostly actually funny and it was a great summer film to see in the theater. I liked the central cast and found it to be fun.

I imagine you might have a more tepid response, but I just thought it was a hoot. I've been surprised by other people liking it as much as I did. I thought it would be one of those films that happened to hit the sweet spot for me but would get a "yeah, I guess it was okay" out of most other people.

At the very least, there's a horror movie scream in there that's a real killer.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 am

Slentert wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm

I had kinda the opposite experience in that I went in with low expectations and felt fairly blown away. I pretty much loved it and thought it was far beyond what it had a right to be. All the things you say of it are true but I also thought this was another great and underrated performance by Karloff, one of Lugosi's best, and I thought the narrative was way more interesting than what I was expecting. Just a spooky, atmospheric pleasure for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm
I've seen it once or twice. Or a hundred. ;)
The production design is definitely the star, and especially so since it doesn't rely on Universal's usual standbys of cobwebs and fog. There are no 30s horror films that look like this one. Not sure how many Lugosi/Karloff team-ups you've seen, but Bela often seems to be upstaged by Boris, and this is one time where I don't think that's the case. Fun to watch them go toe-to-toe on equal footing for a change. And the scene where Dr. Pigs-low gets skinned alive in silhouette is one of the more gruesome moments in 30s horror movies.
Yes.
All of that.

(And by the way, how does one multiquote in this joint?)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am

Had myself an Oz Perkins double feature. Liked both a solid amount as I'm a sucker for slow burn horror when done well (and I will bring great fury to those done poorly, Ti West!) and these definitely scratched that itch. I'm partial to psychological horror over gothic horror, so Blackcoat has got me most pleased in it's seeming mishmash of Polanski horror elements.
Rump

Post by Rump » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm
Hey, what's the 411 on Manhattan Baby?

You'll get sand in places you didn't know had places :shock:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 am
Watched the first half of Two Evil Eyes. Not bad as a sort of unofficial Creepshow segment, although the ghosts at the end lack imagination, and it's absolute nonsense that this adaptation of "Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" doesn't include the climactic image of the short story: watching helplessly as the living dead man goes through accelerated putrefaction. IT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR, DAMN IT. Not too shabby, though. Layering in the evil wife and her financial aspirations works better than expected. Adrienne Barbeau plays the femme fatale with plausible moments of hesitance and regret.
Forgot to say that I finished it, and yeah, Argento's segment was better. Not fantastic, but more interesting, with some curious detours. Reminds me of the Grindhouse split.
NOTE: