Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Where are yall watching The Relic?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 pm

The Beach House did not actively annoy me, but it didn't overly impress me either. I expect to have forgotten it within the week.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:12 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:20 pm
Where are yall watching The Relic?
It's on Amazon.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:05 pm
So, I just watched Relic, and I definitely get your point. It's a straight A for how good it is and how well it's made, but it's also very heavy and affecting in a way that you don't usually seek from a horror movie. I'll probably watch it again, and I would recommend it to someone looking for a great horror movie that doesn't have a single quote unquote cool thing about it.
Do NOT read what's in spoilers if you haven't seen the movie. (Unless you don't plan to see it.)

Well, I came out of it feeling
that it was straight-up just not a horror movie. It was entirely an allegory for coming to terms with Alzheimer's. And while it was very unnerving in parts, I actually had a feeling that was what it was all about fairly early on and it somewhat effected my viewing of the film. Feeling going in that it was a horror movie and hearing that it was a good horror movie really set my expectations in a place that the movie absolutely did not deliver on, which I can't fault the movie for, the movie is what it is, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed. There was so much hinted at that I wanted payoff on that, I mean, you get payoff on it, but all the payoff is, "It's all just Alzheimer's/dementia."
Agree with you about the "cool". It is definitely not that kind of "horror" movie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:12 pm
It's on Amazon.
OK, thanks. I found it there, just checking that you hadn't found a free option.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am

Back to the grind again with my annual Horrorfest. Reviews so far: Horrorfest 2020
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm

MadMan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am
Back to the grind again with my annual Horrorfest. Reviews so far: Horrorfest 2020
Bit early, no?
Can't wait to read, actually, August is when I start building my pools for my September Pre-Horrorthon and my October Horrothon, so I can use yours for ideas!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Alright thanks to MadMan I am now working on my September (suspense and weird) and October (supernatural horror) 'thon lists.

Does anybody know if there are any good shark movies out there? Like, I haven't seen Open Water, 47 Meters Down, The Reef, or The Shallows, for example. Anybody got any shark movie recs that don't have the word "Jaws" in the title? (I've seen DBS, by the way.)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:13 pm

Also, is Overlord worth seeing?
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:49 pm

I liked Overlord. It’s really well done. I know it’s marketed as a WWII horror but I thought it barely counted as horror.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:49 pm
I liked Overlord. It’s really well done. I know it’s marketed as a WWII horror but I thought it barely counted as horror.
Interesting.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:21 pm

It's alright. Wyatt Russell channeling his dad is the best part. There are a couple of neat moments. The actress looks a bit like Kelly MacDonald.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Has anyone seen the Australian movie Little Monsters on Hulu? It has some of the best zombies I've seen in a while and it's also quite funny, and while the star, Alexander England, has a lot to do with this, Josh Gad's child entertainer Teddy McGiggle brings laughs as much as he brings cringe and disgust. It doesn't surpass Shaun of the Dead - then again, few horror comedies do - and even though it's around 90 minutes long, there are times when it drags and I don't mean the zombies. Regardless, it's a lot of fun.
Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm
Has anyone seen the Australian movie Little Monsters on Hulu? It has some of the best zombies I've seen in a while and it's also quite funny, and while the star, Alexander England, has a lot to do with this, Josh Gad's child entertainer Teddy McGiggle brings laughs as much as he brings cringe and disgust. It doesn't surpass Shaun of the Dead - then again, few horror comedies do - and even though it's around 90 minutes long, there are times when it drags and I don't mean the zombies. Regardless, it's a lot of fun.
It’s very sweet, almost like a zombie movie made for kids. But ya know, still a zombie movie,
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm

After many years of slagging off Scanners as second-rate early Cronenberg, having watched it about three times in the last year, I'm starting to come to the conclusion it may be one of my favorites. Videodrome is so audacious and daring it is hard to unseat as probably one of his greatest achievements, and Dead Ringers is perfect 'mature' Cronenberg, and Shivers is unbeatable for being exactly my type of feast, but Scanners has such a simple hypnotic formalism, and such compellingly contrasting acting styles (Bland vs Ironside), all the while this emotionally distant turf war between psychics is being waged with gun fare and exploding heads, that it has cast a spell on my these last few months.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm
After many years of slagging off Scanners as second-rate early Cronenberg, having watched it about three times in the last year, I'm starting to come to the conclusion it may be one of my favorites. Videodrome is so audacious and daring it is hard to unseat as probably one of his greatest achievements, and Dead Ringers is perfect 'mature' Cronenberg, and Shivers is unbeatable for being exactly my type of feast, but Scanners has such a simple hypnotic formalism, and such compellingly contrasting acting styles (Bland vs Ironside), all the while this emotionally distant turf war between psychics is being waged with gun fare and exploding heads, that it has cast a spell on my these last few months.
Jesus man. You're never gonna get me on that train. I would place it probably dead last out of the Cronenberg's I've seen.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am
Jesus man. You're never gonna get me on that train. I would place it probably dead last out of the Cronenberg's I've seen.
You talk as if it's some kind of a scourge of a film. Even when I put it near the bottom, I always found it an interesting movie. It's issues have always seemed that it has some of the worst of Cronenberg's ice cold mannerisms. It doesn't really engage in the psychic warfare element that plays out with any real gravitas. It kind of just sleepwalks through all of the possible action. But from the point of view this film is taking, a main character who is so crippled by the intrusion of the thoughts of other people he never manages to form an identity of his own, and his ensuing stumble through this nether world of intrigue, it has lots to offer.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 am

The only reason why Fast Company isn't everyone's bottom Cronenberg is because no one has seen it (or remembered that his name is on it).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 am
The only reason why Fast Company isn't everyone's bottom Cronenberg is because no one has seen it (or remembered that his name is on it).
It’s my bottom, sir.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:04 am

Regarding Cronenberg, I've seen:

From the Drain
Shivers
Videodrome
The Fly
A History of Violence

Still have a number of blindspots.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:25 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I like it. But it's worth being anyone's bottom.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:50 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 am
You talk as if it's some kind of a scourge of a film. Even when I put it near the bottom, I always found it an interesting movie. It's issues have always seemed that it has some of the worst of Cronenberg's ice cold mannerisms. It doesn't really engage in the psychic warfare element that plays out with any real gravitas. It kind of just sleepwalks through all of the possible action. But from the point of view this film is taking, a main character who is so crippled by the intrusion of the thoughts of other people he never manages to form an identity of his own, and his ensuing stumble through this nether world of intrigue, it has lots to offer.
I've probably seen it 6 times, loved it in my youth, but rewatching it as a middle-aged adult, I just thought it was maybe Cronenberg's only bad film. And not just because of the worst acting performance I can think of including Hayden Christensen in the Prequels and Keanu Reeves in Dracula but I thought the script also failed and those two things couldn't allow Cronenberg to overcome the low budget.
And I'm a guy that thinks Shivers is pretty good. Not to mention the oft-maligned A Dangerous Method.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Well, that is true in my case, to be sure, I actually have never even heard of it and I consider myself a fan (though I have actually only seen 11 of his films).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am

Shudder’s HOST is a really fun, well made, straightforward horror flick. It doesn’t really surprise at all but it makes better use of the format than competitors by far and has very well constructed and executed scares. It’s also only an hour long.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm
Bit early, no?
Can't wait to read, actually, August is when I start building my pools for my September Pre-Horrorthon and my October Horrothon, so I can use yours for ideas!
Nah I go from the end of July to November 1st. Last year I extended it a little to cover The Lighthouse since that didn't come to my area until November.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm
Alright thanks to MadMan I am now working on my September (suspense and weird) and October (supernatural horror) 'thon lists.

Does anybody know if there are any good shark movies out there? Like, I haven't seen Open Water, 47 Meters Down, The Reef, or The Shallows, for example. Anybody got any shark movie recs that don't have the word "Jaws" in the title? (I've seen DBS, by the way.)
September is a fine month to watch horror movies.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:13 pm
Also, is Overlord worth seeing?
Absolutely. I loved it and was the only one in the theater when I went to see it. A nice, fun, gory thrill ride.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Of what you listed, I’m a fan of all but 47 Meters Down. Strangely, I liked the sequel, 47 Meters Down Uncaged. It’s a bit cheesy (a fish screams at one point) but the premise is solid and it functions as a fun horror.

I’d add Deep Blue Sea and the Meg to your list as well.

Open Water 3: Uncaged is also surprisingly solid until it gets hilariously bad very fast (a literal shark jump).

Shark Attack 3 Megalodon is also the funniest bad shark film.

Oh, and Overlord is alright. The opening is great and it never comes close to it again. The horror elements are undercooked. Even so, if it were called Wolfenstein, it would probably be the best video game movie.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:38 pm

I don't know if y'all have access to Kanopy / Hoopla, but if so, The Colour Out of Space is available through your library card, and this boy is ready.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 am

You could listen to DaMU and watch a potential quality movie or do what I did and watch Truth or Dare: Unrated Director's Cut.

Choose wisely, my friends.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 am
You could listen to DaMU and watch a potential quality movie or do what I did and watch Truth or Dare: Unrated Director's Cut.

The Madonna movie?

Ugh
Ugh
Blugh
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 am

Rock wrote:

I'll take 1990 Madonna!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 am

Oh, look at crumbs sliding in.

I was pondering this question a couple of weeks ago, and I decided that "Justify My Love" was the point where Madonna fell into pure self-parody. Truth or Dare is kinda tricky, it was released afterward but filmed prior to that, so I think it can still squeeze into the prime Madonna category. I might be wrong, I haven't seen the film in years, but even under the pretense of horror, this is some terrifying divaship.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 am

No lol

I was talking about the POS Blumhouse movie.

I see you have both complicated the decision.

____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 am

Color Out of Space (2019) - B / B+

B+ is too high, I think, but I really did appreciate the good-faith of this adaptation and its escalation into grand chaos by the end. The family story hints at some potent ideas (with Cage feeling lost and entrenched in his pater familias role), but those dynamics are more functional than tragic (you wonder if a film like this could mine the emotional pathos you get with David Cronenberg's best work). But the imagination! The low-budget effects! The alpacas! This is all deeply silly, but Stanley gives it form and build, and some of the moments with people lurking into sheds or dipping into wells had me sinking into my seat when (by all rights) I should've been rolling my eyes. Good job, movie.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 am

Thinking I should give that another go. I was put off by the shapelessness of Cage's arc (he's a little too odd in the early stretches for me to buy his descent into madness) but seems like most things I've been rewatching during the pandemic have gone up a few notches in my esteem.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:44 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 am
Thinking I should give that another go. I was put off by the shapelessness of Cage's arc (he's a little too odd in the early stretches for me to buy his descent into madness) but seems like most things I've been rewatching during the pandemic have gone up a few notches in my esteem.
:up:

There were one or two moments where he Caged a little too hard, but I felt some shape to his performance. Maybe because I made a distinction between [eccentric Nathan just being a bit eccentric] and [oh, okay, now the color's starting to have an effect]. The latter being about the time he lashed out at his daughter, mocking her "teenage girl" voice. At that moment, I felt like, "Okay, his sub-mania at being in control is starting to chafe against the effects of the color."
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 am
No lol

I was talking about the POS Blumhouse movie.

I see you have both complicated the decision.

I know I've seen it and all I can say is that it's no Wish Upon.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:03 pm

Rock wrote:

I was very disappointed in Truth or Dare.

Some spoilers:

When the game made the guy admit to his dad that he was gay, I thought it was going in a different, more interesting direction that the usual gimmicky slasher. I also generally liked the dares, like the one where the guy or gal drinks booze while tightroping on the edges of the roof.

I would say it is better than the standard high concept netflix dumpster fire, but the end is so fucking bad that I just have to hate it. How did the director cut end? I do not believe that is the one I saw.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:09 pm

I haven't seen the theatrical cut but
Lucy Hale makes a viral video to get a shit ton more people into the game
Which is such an unbelievable dick move in the universe of this movie that's kind of just shrugged off.

I assume some of the gore is a bit more explicit in the DC but it's still pretty weak.
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Yeah, that is the end of the theatrical cut as well. I was mostly thinking of all the bullshit in the church where they just abandon everything they established to get that shitty shock ending.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:15 pm

There is BS in church in the DC as well.

C'mon Charles, you know you wanna watch it...
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:22 pm

A lot of you haven't seen Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness, and frankly I'm embarrassed for you.

NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:15 pm
There is BS in church in the DC as well.

C'mon Charles, you know you wanna watch it...
Nah, I'll be fine. I pretty much lose interest every single time I see Netflix written anywhere these days. Been burned too many times by movies whose entire budget went to the synopsys.