Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote: The Terminator could also be considered a horror film - in fact, it's surprising that it isn't more often.
I agree, I think Terminator is more of a horror movie than the likes of Silence of the Lambs. It's sci-fi for sure, but it's horror. And a good one.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 am

crumbsroom wrote:
This is just a test, but I might as well also use this post to tell Popcorn he's wrong.
I confirm your opinion.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
The Witch is a great horror film with a fascinating backstory of religious intolerance.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:The lack of enthusiasm for Dog Soldiers in here makes me sad.

Then again, three of my long-time crushes were in the movie and I first watched it when I was like 19, so there may have been non-movie-quality related elements to how much I liked it.
I liked it, but can't say I loved it.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 am

Apex! Welcome!
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am

Huzzah I found you all, the Horrorcram is back in my life and that makes me so happy.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:08 pm

daakmore wrote:Huzzah I found you all, the Horrorcram is back in my life and that makes me so happy.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 am

Strangler in the Swamp - 8/10

I only read about this 1946 gem earlier this year whilst compiling my October viewing, and had it bookmarked on Youtube but never got around to it. Now I see it on Prime, so I give it a look, and it's quite a nice discovery. I believe Cap Terr already wrote this one up about a month ago, and I can only echo the enthusiasm. A fetid, foggy affair, this film has nearly the same atmospheric impact as...dare I say?...that same year's I Walked with a Zombie. Full from one end of its brisk hour-long run to the other with dense, tense swampy settings that glower like the mossiest Universal backlots, and some crude but effective ghastly effects in what is an old-fashioned ghost story, but one in which the town's buried skeletons prove to be more nefarious. The lead young actor, Blake Edwards, appears to be the same Blake Edwards who would lucratively venture into a long directorial career about a decade later.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 am

During Thanksgiving, caught three old black and white films at my parent's place (they love the lack of commercials and star power).

The one that's relevant here is Mad Love, a 1935 take on The Hands of Orloc.

Dr. Gogol (Peter Lorre) is obsessed, obsessed I tell you with horror stage actress Yvonne (Frances Drake). So much so that he'll buy the wax mannequin in her image scheduled for destruction and play music for it at night.

Luckily, this madness doesn't obscure the fact he's a brilliant surgeon.

The reason the mannequin is scheduled for destruction is that Yvonne is taking a break from acting to spend time with her concert pianist husband Stephen (Colin Clive, Frankenstein). Ah, to be young and count the money that your husband makes.

But the reason the surgeon part comes into play is due to a bad train wreck that mangles Stephen's hands.

Dr. Gogol gets a crazy idea while reminiscing on his other favorite hobby: watching executions of criminals. :shock:

He'll just take the hands of a knifethrower named Rollo (Edward Brophy) who killed his father and sew them onto Stephen.

Although the surgery is a success, the side effects start to wreak a toll on the marriage and their finances. Dr. Gogol sees an opportunity to take the married Yvonne for himself.

Its attempts at humor come across as meh as best and Yvonne comes across as a bit of an idiot as Dr. Gogol does a poor job of hiding his admiration for her.

But having said that, they find a nonstereotypical role for Keye Luke to play, Lorre does creepy well enough, and the film moves well enough to make it a decent recommendation.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:Image

I only read about this 1946 gem earlier this year whilst compiling my October viewing, and had it bookmarked on Youtube but never got around to it. Now I see it on Prime, so I give it a look, and it's quite a nice discovery. I believe Cap Terr already wrote this one up about a month ago, and I can only echo the enthusiasm. A fetid, foggy affair, this film has nearly the same atmospheric impact as...dare I say?...that same year's I Walked with a Zombie. Full from one end of its brisk hour-long run to the other with dense, tense swampy settings that glower like the mossiest Universal backlots, and some crude but effective ghastly effects in what is an old-fashioned ghost story, but one in which the town's buried skeletons prove to be more nefarious. The lead young actor, Blake Edwards, appears to be the same Blake Edwards who would lucratively venture into a long directorial career about a decade later.
Oooh, love me some moody 1940s horror-thrillers. Spiral Staircase, Dorian Gray, the Lewton run. This looks so deep into my alley.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Deschain

Post by Deschain » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 am

Ash vs Evil Dead is now on Netflix so you primitive screwheads have no excuse not to watch it.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am

Deschain wrote:Ash vs Evil Dead is now on Netflix so you primitive screwheads have no excuse not to watch it.
YES! Thanks for the heads up.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Yessir, looking forward to seeing that one again. It was actually Rumpled that did the write-up, which reminded me that I hadn't seen it in the post-VHS era. I'd taped it from TV a hundred years ago and loved it at the time but had neglected it in the ensuing years.

related---Crumbly recommended an oldie on the other site whose title I've since forgotten, but it was card-related like "Queen of Hearts" or something. Please advise.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 am

Jinnistan wrote:Image

Gotta find this.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 am

Captain Terror wrote:related---Crumbly recommended an oldie on the other site whose title I've since forgotten, but it was card-related like "Queen of Hearts" or something. Please advise.
Queen of Spades by Thorold Dickinson
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:related---Crumbly recommended an oldie on the other site whose title I've since forgotten, but it was card-related like "Queen of Hearts" or something. Please advise.
Queen of Spades, and that one has also been on my radar.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 am

Wooley wrote:Gotta find this.
Looks like Youtube removed it, which could mean we will see a restoration or rerelease shortly.

It's on Amazon Prime at the moment.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Quick as a thief! Caught me busy trying to find it on Youtube.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:29 am

Apex Predator wrote: Its attempts at humor come across as meh as best and Yvonne comes across as a bit of an idiot as Dr. Gogol does a poor job of hiding his admiration for her.

But having said that, they find a nonstereotypical role for Keye Luke to play, Lorre does creepy well enough, and the film moves well enough to make it a decent recommendation.
I have a LOT to say about Mad Love but I'll try to keep it brief. :D
Is this one that most of you have seen? Apex' review is about right, but I highly recommend this one to those of you who are fans of the quirkier stuff like Old Dark House, etc. Directed by Karl Freund, but you'd never guess that this was the same director as The Mummy from just 3 years prior. Where that film was stodgy and dull, this one is way more fun and bizarre. Freund's career included Universal monster movies and some of the German classics, and this one leans very far to the German side of the equation. Rather than the cobwebs and fog of the Universals, this one is more about stark lighting and weird angles and characters with extreme personality traits. No one plays an insane person better than Lorre, and no one plays a frazzled neurotic person better than Colin Clive. It's a movie with a very specific appeal, but I love it for being such a one-of-a-kind experience. It's an often-told and remade story but there's enough weird stuff going on to make it seem unfamiliar and very uncharacteristic of other 30s horror movies. One of my favorites.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thanks, I guess I could've found that through process of elimination but didn't want to go through the entire deck of cards. :)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thanks, I guess I could've found that through process of elimination but didn't want to go through the entire deck of cards. :)
I'm really in love with the movie. And I bet at least half of those that post in the Horrorcram would be too if they saw it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Weird, has been on my radar too and was just gonna come on here and ask if anybody knew anything about it. Good timing, gents.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm really in love with the movie. And I bet at least half of those that post in the Horrorcram would be too if they saw it.
Looked it up last night and found some glowing praise from Mr Scorsese--

Martin Scorsese has described Thorold Dickinson as an underrated director, saying of The Queen of Spades that "this stunning film is one of the few true classics of supernatural cinema."
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Looked it up last night and found some glowing praise from Mr Scorsese--

Martin Scorsese has described Thorold Dickinson as an underrated director, saying of The Queen of Spades that "this stunning film is one of the few true classics of supernatural cinema."
While there is always the risk of over selling a film through comparisons, fans of Night of the Hunters gothic fantasia or the subliminally unsettling character study horrors you can find in some of Val Lewton's films should find this movie their particular brand of poison. I actually rewatched it last night and it impressed itself even more on me. It's a movie that absolutely needs to have some kind of critical reappraisal and is deserving of a remastered version, because I imagine that would look absolutely amazing.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
While there is always the risk of over selling a film through comparisons, fans of Night of the Hunters gothic fantasia or the subliminally unsettling character study horrors you can find in some of Val Lewton's films should find this movie their particular brand of poison. I actually rewatched it last night and it impressed itself even more on me. It's a movie that absolutely needs to have some kind of critical reappraisal and is deserving of a remastered version, because I imagine that would look absolutely amazing.
And where are you watching it? I'm getting a "Not available" message from Amazon now. I could swear it was available weeks ago when you first mentioned it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
And where are you watching it? I'm getting a "Not available" message from Amazon now. I could swear it was available weeks ago when you first mentioned it.
I own a copy. Virtually everything I watch I have hard copies of. I also think it was available online not so long ago, but not sure where I saw it. It is times like this when we need Rumpled.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I own a copy. Virtually everything I watch I have hard copies of. I also think it was available online not so long ago, but not sure where I saw it. It is times like this when we need Rumpled.
I found a watchable copy, I'll just have to watch it on my PC. Would prefer my TV, but beggars can't be choosers.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 am

Semi on-topic, I gotta say that sometimes from Lewton, you don't get what you wanted. But you actually kinda get something better.
Exhibit A for me is I Walked With A Zombie, which was nothing like what I expected and I still thin, is one of the, maybe, 5 best zombie movies ever made and one of my favorite ambient-horrors ever.
Exhibit B for me is The Leopard Man, again absolutely nothing like what I was expecting (although I'd already learned from Zombie to leave my expectations open), but what I got exceeded what perhaps the title promised. By the end of this movie I was just so pleased.
And honestly, I could go Exhibit C with The Curse of the Cat People and I think, if I've read peoples' comments correctly, that many of you would agree with me.
Point is, in none of these movies do you really get what you might be thinking going in, as Night of the Demon kinda caves on (due to studio interference if I've read things right), you get something more subtle yet, in my opinion, sublime.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Wooley wrote:Semi on-topic, I gotta say that sometimes from Lewton, you don't get what you wanted. But you actually kinda get something better.
Exhibit A for me is I Walked With A Zombie, which was nothing like what I expected and I still thin, is one of the, maybe, 5 best zombie movies ever made and one of my favorite ambient-horrors ever.
Exhibit B for me is The Leopard Man, again absolutely nothing like what I was expecting (although I'd already learned from Zombie to leave my expectations open), but what I got exceeded what perhaps the title promised. By the end of this movie I was just so pleased.
And honestly, I could go Exhibit C with The Curse of the Cat People and I think, if I've read peoples' comments correctly, that many of you would agree with me.
Point is, in none of these movies do you really get what you might be thinking going in, as Night of the Demon kinda caves on (due to studio interference if I've read things right), you get something more subtle yet, in my opinion, sublime.
Good point on all three, pretty sure everybody's initial reaction to Curse is "WTF? This isn't a horror movie!" unless they've been warned ahead of time. It was definitely mine. Sorely disappointed in that first viewing, but revisiting it with my expectations altered I came to love it over the years. Just watched it last month in fact.

I'd add Ghost Ship to your list as well. When I sit down to watch an old movie with that title, I'm hoping for a literal ship full of ghosts. Turns out it's not supernatural at all, but I love it anyway for other reasons.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I finally got around to seeing Get Out. I liked the first hour the most. The racial humor helped carry the film for me. This was shown in places such as its brilliant opening sequence and the comparisons the characters made between the white owners and their black servants. The film also felt pretty disturbing in some sequences. The actions of the characters seemed to progress in absurdity over the course of the film. This resulted in the tone of the film shifting from awkwardness to suspense. Normally, I'd have an issue with Rod as he was a comic relief character, but since the film was in part a comedy, I'll argue that he fit the film pretty well. As great as it started off, however, I felt like it lost steam in its final act.
For instance, I found its plot twist to be pretty predictable. I was already starting to get the feeling that the white people did something to Walter, Georgina, Logan, and, perhaps, other black characters not onscreen to make them act the way they did, so all the plot twist succeeding in doing was confirming my suspicion. Therefore, the twist didn't have much of an impact on me.
Also, the final act was a little underwhelming as it mainly consisted of a series of fights and killings. While they weren't poorly done or anything, they didn't contain enough suspense and power to enthrall me. Anyways, I didn't like this movie as much as I hoped, but I still found it to be a good film.

6/10
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 am

Wooley wrote:Semi on-topic, I gotta say that sometimes from Lewton, you don't get what you wanted. But you actually kinda get something better.
This is precisely one of the things I love about Lewton's films. They never unfold as you would expect the horror orthodoxy would force them to. They reveal themselves at their own pace, don't fall into predicatable trappings in order to live up to genre standard. Their horror often lies within the characters they portray, not in their transformations into cats or their fear of zombies roaming the countryside. They seem honest, even while they are all certainly stylized in their own ways, and that honesty makes what is frightening about them resonate deeper because of it.

It is a similar feeling I have towards Queen of Spades, even though it is a markedly different movie than any of his in many ways. It isn't a conventional horror, but by the end of it, I find it hard to categorize as anything other than that. While I definitely do have some love for the occasional boilerplate, standard horror film, these are the ones that I am always looking for more than anything else.

And, yes Capt Terror, Ghost Ship is a frequently overlooked or dismissed film in his legacy. Is the title misleading? Sure. There is nothing supernatural about it, really. But it unsettles in its own way.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I finally got around to seeing Get Out. I liked the first hour the most. The racial humor helped carry the film for me. This was shown in places such as its brilliant opening sequence and the comparisons the characters made between the white owners and their black servants. The film also felt pretty disturbing in some sequences. The actions of the characters seemed to progress in absurdity over the course of the film. This resulted in the tone of the film shifting from awkwardness to suspense. Normally, I'd have an issue with Rod as he was a comic relief character, but since the film was in part a comedy, I'll argue that he fit the film pretty well. As great as it started off, however, I felt like it lost steam in its final act.
For instance, I found its plot twist to be pretty predictable. I was already starting to get the feeling that the white people did something to Walter, Georgina, Logan, and, perhaps, other black characters not onscreen to make them act the way they did, so all the plot twist succeeding in doing was confirming my suspicion. Therefore, the twist didn't have much of an impact on me.
Also, the final act was a little underwhelming as it mainly consisted of a series of fights and killings. While they weren't poorly done or anything, they didn't contain enough suspense and power to enthrall me. Anyways, I didn't like this movie as much as I hoped, but I still found it to be a good film.

6/10
I don't think that you realizing that something happened to the black characters in this film qualifies as you figuring out the twist. It's pretty clear from the get go that 'what' happened to them is what the whole film will revolve around. It's what that 'something' means, and what it says about all of the characters you see before it is revealed, that matters. Just saying 'Aha, I knew something was going on here' is only saying that you basically were aware of what is teased in the trailer.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 am

crumbsroom wrote:I don't think that you realizing that something happened to the black characters in this film qualifies as you figuring out the twist. It's pretty clear from the get go that 'what' happened to them is what the whole film will revolve around. It's what that 'something' means, and what it says about all of the characters you see before it is revealed, that matters. Just saying 'Aha, I knew something was going on here' is only saying that you basically were aware of what is teased in the trailer.
I agree, and since I had also called the third act twist to be "obvious" (was my word, I believe), then I owe it to explain what I mean.

My premonition was more or less that
there was an attempt to make these selected black specimans "white", and so the surprise involved only the process - brain transplants vs. brainwashing - that makes the difference. But the overall endgame, which combines appropriation with subjugation, seemed right on schedule as it was revealed, and it incorporates the more common phobia among black people over how the "white" and "black" of their essence is perceived, and the double consciousness produced from this idiosyncratic perception of self and society.
I gave the film a much higher score, at least.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I don't think that you realizing that something happened to the black characters in this film qualifies as you figuring out the twist. It's pretty clear from the get go that 'what' happened to them is what the whole film will revolve around. It's what that 'something' means, and what it says about all of the characters you see before it is revealed, that matters. Just saying 'Aha, I knew something was going on here' is only saying that you basically were aware of what is teased in the trailer.
Okay, fair enough.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am

Jinnistan wrote: I agree, and since I had also called the third act twist to be "obvious" (was my word, I believe), then I owe it to explain what I mean.

My premonition was more or less that
there was an attempt to make these selected black specimans "white", and so the surprise involved only the process - brain transplants vs. brainwashing - that makes the difference. But the overall endgame, which combines appropriation with subjugation, seemed right on schedule as it was revealed, and it incorporates the more common phobia among black people over how the "white" and "black" of their essence is perceived, and the double consciousness produced from this idiosyncratic perception of self and society.
I gave the film a much higher score, at least.
I watched the movie after having been told by coworkers and others I knew about how crazy it was, ie. The Twist. Considering I, like Popcorn and yourself, was able to figure everything out pretty quickly (excluding a few of those details you mentioned), it made me more disappointed in those who I talked to about it than the movie itself. I don't think the movie lives or dies by whether or not how it plays out surprises you. With any movie that has a 'twist', all that really matters is does the turn bring things that came before into better focus, make them more disturbing, funny, resonant etc. When all the details are settled in Get Out, I believe it does that, even though I hardly slapped my hand over my mouth in shock over the reveal.

That being said, it's not like I was super in love with it anyway. I loved the basic concept, and it was made well, with good performances, and some really strong scenes. It was a pretty damn good movie. But not one so great that Popcorns 6/10 would remotely offend me. I imagine I'd throw it a 7.5 (you know, if such bullshit actually matters anyway). My main gripe with what PR was saying was that the lack of surprise at the twist seemed to reduce the films value in his eyes. I just have a personal issue with twists being held up as any real importance towards a films critical relevance in anyway, unless, of course, it completely undermines everything that comes before.

In short twists are a drag 95 percent of the time, even when they work. I would be shocked if I could think of 10 movies where a twist had any relevance at all on how I thought of it afterwards.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I finally got around to seeing Get Out. I liked the first hour the most. The racial humor helped carry the film for me. This was shown in places such as its brilliant opening sequence and the comparisons the characters made between the white owners and their black servants. The film also felt pretty disturbing in some sequences. The actions of the characters seemed to progress in absurdity over the course of the film. This resulted in the tone of the film shifting from awkwardness to suspense. Normally, I'd have an issue with Rod as he was a comic relief character, but since the film was in part a comedy, I'll argue that he fit the film pretty well. As great as it started off, however, I felt like it lost steam in its final act.

6/10
Ya know, I honestly didn't think the movie had a plot twist, it went exactly where it seemed to be going all along, and I actually thought that was a great narrative call and if there was any kind of twist, it was that, that it didn't twist, it took you where it was inevitably going.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote: That being said, it's not like I was super in love with it anyway. I loved the basic concept, and it was made well, with good performances, and some really strong scenes. It was a pretty damn good movie. But not one so great that Popcorns 6/10 would remotely offend me. I imagine I'd throw it a 7.5 (you know, if such bullshit actually matters anyway).
This pretty much echoes my feelings about the film. To be honest, the thing that surprised me the most is how competent the film was, considering it was Peele's debut, and how confident Daniel Kaaluya's performance was. He carries the film effortlessly and I really enjoyed watching him.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Wooley wrote: Ya know, I honestly didn't think the movie had a plot twist, it went exactly where it seemed to be going all along, and I actually thought that was a great narrative call and if there was any kind of twist, it was that, that it didn't twist, it took you where it was inevitably going.
After hearing what crumbsroom said, I'm willing to concede that what I thought would happen didn't count as knowing the whole twist. However, there is a clear twist in the film.
The film hinted that brainwashing was making the black characters behave the way they were, but it turned out that brain transplants were responsible for their behavior. This is a twist, because the reason for the black character's behavior was different than what the film hinted at throughout.
As for what I think of it now, I don't know. Maybe the film will feel different if I re-watch it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: After hearing what crumbsroom said, I'm willing to concede that what I thought would happen didn't count as knowing the whole twist. However, there is a clear twist in the film.
The film hinted that brainwashing was making the black characters behave the way they were, but it turned out that brain transplants were responsible for their behavior. This is a twist, because the reason for the black character's behavior was different than what the film hinted at throughout.
As for what I think of it now, I don't know. Maybe the film will feel different if I re-watch it.
Hmm. I wouldn't necessarily argue with you on this point, but I feel like it was never clear what had happened to the black people to make them like they were, certainly seemed more sinister than brainwashing to me, so when we see what it is, I feel it's more of a "reveal" than a "twist". But I only make that point just because of how overused I feel the word "twist" is when it comes to movies, not necessarily because of its application in this case.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh and I thought the movie was excellent.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Wooley wrote: Hmm. I wouldn't necessarily argue with you on this point, but I feel like it was never clear what had happened to the black people to make them like they were, certainly seemed more sinister than brainwashing to me, so when we see what it is, I feel it's more of a "reveal" than a "twist". But I only make that point just because of how overused I feel the word "twist" is when it comes to movies, not necessarily because of its application in this case.
I see why you consider it to be more of a reveal than a twist since the twist involves revealing info we weren't made aware of. Strangely enough, I often tend to think of reveals as twists. I feel like reveals are sort of a sub-genre of twists, so I'm comfortable with categorizing reveals as both reveals and twists. It might just be a difference in interpretation between us though.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:50 pm

On a side note, It Comes at Night is still my favorite horror film of 2017.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Haven't seen It Comes At Night, need to give it a rip.

Get Out is probably my favorite of this year, but I was also impressed with Split (by and large), IT, and, go figure, Annabelle: Creation. Still want to check out Happy Death Day, too.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 pm

6/10
While I really don't need to yet again rehash my thoughts on why I was somewhat disappointed with Get Out, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I'll do so anyway in my response here; it seems like, even though we both didn't like the movie as much as we were hoping to, I was disappointed in it for different reasons than you were. As far as I'm concerned, the first 2 acts of the film, or anything before
Chris discovering his "girlfriend"'s little photo album was inconsistently engaging, as too much of what had happened up to that point was mostly just a low-key series of scenes of people behaving vaguely creepy; it, wasn't bad material, mind you, just not particularly engaging. But, I actually didn't anticipate the twist that all the black people in that neighborhood were having their bodies straight-up STOLEN from them by white people, as opposed to the more straightforward brainwashing the movie had been hinting at beforehand, so I actually enjoyed that particular plot point. And, while the final act of the film was essentially a series of killings, I found that part of the film to be rather creepy and intense, without becoming mindless, as I feel Peele did a good of balancing intriguing details alongside the bloodletting, like us witnessing the "girlfriend" scooping out her next victim on her laptop, or the voice of the Grandmother suddenly coming out of the maid's mouth in the car. I just wish the whole film had been that engaging, but it does make me hopeful for Peele's next project, whenever that comes out.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:On a side note, It Comes at Night is still my favorite horror film of 2017.
While I can't imagine I'll bother ever watching it again, and it just barely came down on the positive side of "recommend/don't recommend" for me, I enjoyed the style and atmosphere of It Comes At Night just enough to suggest for anyone with an interest in Horror to watch it at least once. Granted, some of its writing, symbolism, and use of nightmare scenes are rather obvious, simplistic, and hacky in their use of hacky Horror cliches, but that atmosphere is just too kewl, man, at least for one viewing. My actual favorite Horror film from 2017 is actually another "it", that being, er, IT, more by default than anything else, since I obviously wasn't huge on Get Out or anything else, but still, IT was pretty good nonetheless.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Stu wrote:While I really don't need to yet again rehash my thoughts on why I was somewhat disappointed with Get Out, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I'll do so anyway in my response here; it seems like, even though we both didn't like the movie as much as we were hoping to, I was disappointed in it for different reasons than you were. As far as I'm concerned, the first 2 acts of the film, or anything before
Chris discovering his "girlfriend"'s little photo album was inconsistently engaging, as too much of what had happened up to that point was mostly just a low-key series of scenes of people behaving vaguely creepy; it, wasn't bad material, mind you, just not particularly engaging. But, I actually didn't anticipate the twist that all the black people in that neighborhood were having their bodies straight-up STOLEN from them by white people, as opposed to the more straightforward brainwashing the movie had been hinting at beforehand, so I actually enjoyed that particular plot point. And, while the final act of the film was essentially a series of killings, I found that part of the film to be rather creepy and intense, without becoming mindless, as I feel Peele did a good of balancing intriguing details alongside the bloodletting, like us witnessing the "girlfriend" scooping out her next victim on her laptop, or the voice of the Grandmother suddenly coming out of the maid's mouth in the car. I just wish the whole film had been that engaging, but it does make me hopeful for Peele's next project, whenever that comes out.
I remember reading your thoughts on the first 2 acts before watching this film. I'm with you that people simply acting creepy isn't the best way to build suspense and to engage the audience. However, I feel like the film had enough absurd moments mixed in the first hour that I was entertained by it (the absurdity might be why I liked the first hour more than you since I love absurdity). For instance, the first hypnotism scene is my favorite scene from the film. Also relevant to absurdity, I liked the scene where Chris took a picture of Logan (the sound dropping out freaked me out quite a bit). Finally, the actions of Walter and Georgina were quite unsettling. And again, I also felt like the humor was pretty compelling (I explained some of this in my review).

As for the plot twist, crumbsroom made a good rebuttal to me, so I'm willing to concede that my argument for that aspect is invalid. I'll have to watch the film again to see if my knowledge of the plot twist will increase my overall enjoyment of the film. I found the killings to be intense to some degree, but I preferred the absurdity much more due to the creativity that section of the film had. For that reason, the killings didn't engage me enough to keep me as interested as I was in the first hour of the film. On the other hand, the 2 scenes with Rose looking for her next victim on her laptop and Georgina's death were pretty interesting, but these were just 2 scenes out of the whole final act. As a whole, I wasn't too engaged by it.
Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts on Rod?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Stu wrote:While I can't imagine I'll bother ever watching it again, and it just barely came down on the positive side of "recommend/don't recommend" for me, I enjoyed the style and atmosphere of It Comes At Night just enough to suggest for anyone with an interest in Horror to watch it at least once. Granted, some of its writing, symbolism, and use of nightmare scenes are rather obvious, simplistic, and hacky in their use of hacky Horror cliches, but that atmosphere is just too kewl, man, at least for one viewing. My actual favorite Horror film from 2017 is actually another "it", that being, er, IT, more by default than anything else, since I obviously wasn't huge on Get Out or anything else, but still, IT was pretty good nonetheless.
I don't feel like writing a 2nd long rebuttal at the moment, so I'm just going to say that I read the review you linked (a while back after I first saw the film), and I thought it was really well-written. I still like the film more than you did though.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts on Rod?
He often felt like a fairly obnoxious refugee from a Key & Peele skit, suitingly enough.
Popcorn Reviews wrote: I don't feel like writing a 2nd long rebuttal at the moment, so I'm just going to say that I read the review you linked (a while back after I first saw the film), and I thought it was really well-written.
Thank you :heart:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am

Stu wrote:He often felt like a fairly obnoxious refugee from a Key & Peele skit, suitingly enough.
Yeah, I liked him as well. Despite the fact that he was a comic relief character, I felt he fit the tone of the film pretty well since it was in part a comedy.
Stu wrote:Thank you :heart:
You're welcome.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 am

I meant that "suitingly" in the sense that it made sense that a character in a Jordan Peele-directed movie would feel like a refugee from a Key & Peele skit, not in the sense that I liked his character in the film, because... I really didn't. Like I said, he was fairly obnoxious.

:shifty: