Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rumpled
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am
Location: England

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rumpled » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: All but the first are no longer cannon.
I watched it and enjoyed it, although it was strange knowing she was in part 8 with busta rhymes :P
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Calling Death Proof:

Gettin' Boggy With It

Pamula Pierce Barcelou has gained copyright to one of her father Charles B. Pierce's most beloved films, "The Legend of Boggy Creek," and is having the movie restored for a future re-release, she said.
"The Legend of Boggy Creek" is being restored at the George Eastman Museum in New York and, for the first time since it was released, the movie will be appear as it did during its theatrical release, unlike bootleg versions out there now, Barcelou said.

"We have a clean, clear beautiful print that is being remastered," Barcelou said, noting various elements have been brought together to make the restored version, including negatives from a Technicolor office in Burbank, Calif.

Barecelou said she aims to release "Boggy Creek" on Blu-ray and also bring it back to movie theaters after working on the sound.


OH HELL YESSSSSSS.
^Following up on this post from a few months ago^

Some footage has been released from the most important restoration project since the Sistine Chapel:

First Look at ‘The Legend of Boggy Creek’ 4K Restoration



But seriously - Finally getting a widescreen version is exciting enough but the restoration looks really nice. How excited am I? Let's just say I Mapquested the distance from my house to Texarkana (6 hours). Don't be surprised if I post some photos from the premiere in June. :)
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1537
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Death Proof » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
^Following up on this post from a few months ago^

Some footage has been released from the most important restoration project since the Sistine Chapel:

First Look at ‘The Legend of Boggy Creek’ 4K Restoration



But seriously - Finally getting a widescreen version is exciting enough but the restoration looks really nice. How excited am I? Let's just say I Mapquested the distance from my house to Texarkana (6 hours). Don't be surprised if I post some photos from the premiere in June. :)

I love Boggy Creek. A 4k Restoration is going to be awesome! First time I've heard about it!

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Death Proof wrote:

I love Boggy Creek. A 4k Restoration is going to be awesome! First time I've heard about it!
All of the previous home releases I've seen (and I've seen A LOT) have been so cruddy that part of me wondered if a pristine print would lose some of it's "ambience". But that footage looks pretty sweet so I'm stoked. Years ago I found a bootleg that was in widescreen, but the quality was 480p at best, and probably more like 240p, so I've only watched it maybe twice. I was starting to think we'd never see a clean version and even wondered if the negatives were lost or something.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2189
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 am

Rumpled wrote:
I watched it and enjoyed it, although it was strange knowing she was in part 8 with busta rhymes :P
That did not happen.
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10579
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 am

Overlord is gory fun. I am glad I saw it before it left my area.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Rumpled
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am
Location: England

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rumpled » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Wooley wrote: That did not happen.
:P
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Have any of you watched this Film Theory video on a different way to interpret The Descent?

I'm intrigued by the points about
Sarah's scream transforming into a creature scream when heard by the others, and the candles on the cake
.

I also appreciate, as one place wrote, that this is the kind of theory where you can still enjoy the surface narrative of the film whether or not you buy into the theory.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by DaMU » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 am

Hadn't seen that before!

I don't quite buy into that theory, mostly because
I remember a couple of scenes involving crawlers threatening the other women that don't involve Sarah. You could argue those scenes suggest a contagious psychosis among the women, or they may be scenes imagined by Sarah (in the same way she later imagines escaping the cave). In general, though, I think the uncanny/fantastic tension in the film, such as it is, is more texture (to point up the film's value as a metaphor) than something meant to genuinely make us question the film's level of reality. I don't think the movie's gunning for The Innocents is it? / isn't it? mystery.
The catch with the candles is great, though, I hadn't noticed that before. Always admire people who can watch movies with soft eyes.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm

DaMU wrote:Hadn't seen that before!

I don't quite buy into that theory, mostly because
I remember a couple of scenes involving crawlers threatening the other women that don't involve Sarah. You could argue those scenes suggest a contagious psychosis among the women, or they may be scenes imagined by Sarah (in the same way she later imagines escaping the cave). In general, though, I think the uncanny/fantastic tension in the film, such as it is, is more texture (to point up the film's value as a metaphor) than something meant to genuinely make us question the film's level of reality. I don't think the movie's gunning for The Innocents is it? / isn't it? mystery.
The catch with the candles is great, though, I hadn't noticed that before. Always admire people who can watch movies with soft eyes.
I'd have to rewatch it because it's been a while. I felt like the idea of
the different women representing different aspects of Sarah's personality was a bridge too far for me, because then it's ALL in her head.
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10579
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:38 am

Mandy is batshit insane and beyond stunning. What a film.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10579
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:14 am

Manaic (1980) is a nasty and creepy low budget piece of work. I might check out the remake. Viewed thanks to Shudder, which is my new favorite streaming service.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 pm

MadMan wrote:Manaic (1980) is a nasty and creepy low budget piece of work. I might check out the remake. Viewed thanks to Shudder, which is my new favorite streaming service.
I love Maniac and think Lustig is one of the few truly great B movie directors that seemingly never got a legitimate shot at a big movie. The remake is also very good and is from the director of the underappreciated P2, Franck Khalfoun.
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25116
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 am

Just finally watched Hereditary, and I definitely didn't like it on the whole. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was BAD or anything, just disappointing in comparison to my expectations. There were good aspects, of course; the intense performances, creepy cinematography, and lovingly detailed production design were all quite good on their own, it's just in the overall tone and execution that the film struggles, as we go from a slightly problematic but still relatively promising first half to an endless parade of tiresome Horror cliches (demonic cults, ghostly/demonic possessions, gratuitous nightmare fake-outs, etc.), mostly executed in as tediously an over-the-top manner as possible, one-right-after-another with almost no sense of pacing or restraint, as if Ari Aster hoped that all the vaguely demon-themed crap he was throwing at the wall and us would somehow end up coalescing into a cohesive film (they didn't). Not effective, not scary, but often pretty ridiculous. Like I said, not a bad film, as it IS executed with an undeniable amount of skill in certain aspects, but it is directed with little overall discipline, and Aster's going to need to significantly revamp his style if he wants me to stay interested in his career from this point on.
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:35 am

Oh, my God! You guys!!


Okay, so there is a new Hellraiser movie on Netflix (Hellraiser: Judgement). I have this fascinated relationship with this series. I think the second film is maybe one of my favorite ever horrors, but the others tend to be bad in their own special ways.

I am only about ten minutes into this new one and it is . . . something else. It's like someone wanted to make a porn, but then was told it had to be a Hellraiser film instead.

Let me describe to you something that just happened. A man on a table was mounted by another man (maybe) in fetish-y leather. The person in leather slices him up and removes his skin. There's lots of screaming and burbling noises. Then three topless women in g-strings come and kneel by the table. They arch their backs to point their boobs at the table. A long pipe emerges from the table in ffront of each woman, and in what can only be described as a pop shot, blood spurts out from the pipe onto their chests while they moan in pleasure.

Also, there's a new character called "The Auditor", and he looks like Max Headroom.

Also, the film has a plot about a serial killer, and I'm pretty sure that it's just so that they can have lots of innocent women get topless and hacked to pieces.

OH MY GOSH! As I've been typing this they found a dead woman and
her stomach was writhing and a small dog burst out of it and one of the detectives just said in a serious voice: "The dog was her baby . . . so he put it in her womb."
HA! This is amazing!
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 am

I'm glad the tradition of detectives going all alone at night to investigate creepy houses as part of a murder investigation is still alive and well.

Also, Hellraiser: Judgement is really pandering to the teenagers with their many references to A Tale of Two Cities.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 am

Did . . . did this 90-minute, dumpster fire of a film just . . . kind of stick the ending?!
(Note: it explicitly copies several parts from the first film, including the "Jesus wept" moment.)
Ultimate ruling: It makes no sense and it's plot is garbage. It shows a welcome return to practical effects. Its reliance on boobs, boobs, spit, and more boobs in the first third betrays a lack of confidence, which is too bad because it actually seems to have an interesting idea or two. Like so many of the sequels it has no real interest in exploring the liminal space between pain and pleasure that made the first two films so interesting.

C-, which in the relative world of the Hellraiser films is maybe more like a solid B?

Also, they made no attempt to remove the Weinstein name from the opening or closing credits.

Finally, immediately following this film Netflix was like "So now you want to watch the trailer for The Princess Switch, right?".
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 am

Hold up!

They had a cameo from
Heather Langenkamp as a landlady
?! Good thing the lighting was super poor in that scene so that she was unrecognizable!
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 am

I am sickened and disgusted by this rancid display of filth.

(*adds to queue*)
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:34 am

Would you say it's more of a Hellraiser Inferno or a Bloodline?
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Would you say it's more of a Hellraiser Inferno or a Bloodline?
I haven't seen Inferno yet.

But in terms of the ones I have seen:

Hellraiser 2: Hellbound
Hellraiser
Hellraiser: Deader
Hellraiser 3 (this one beats Judgement by a tiny margin, maybe?)
Hellraiser: Judgement
.
.
Hellraiser: Bloodline
.
Hellraiser: Revelations
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2189
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 am

Takoma1 wrote:Oh, my God! You guys!!


Okay, so there is a new Hellraiser movie on Netflix (Hellraiser: Judgement). I have this fascinated relationship with this series. I think the second film is maybe one of my favorite ever horrors, but the others tend to be bad in their own special ways.

I am only about ten minutes into this new one and it is . . . something else. It's like someone wanted to make a porn, but then was told it had to be a Hellraiser film instead.

Let me describe to you something that just happened. A man on a table was mounted by another man (maybe) in fetish-y leather. The person in leather slices him up and removes his skin. There's lots of screaming and burbling noises. Then three topless women in g-strings come and kneel by the table. They arch their backs to point their boobs at the table. A long pipe emerges from the table in ffront of each woman, and in what can only be described as a pop shot, blood spurts out from the pipe onto their chests while they moan in pleasure.

Also, there's a new character called "The Auditor", and he looks like Max Headroom.

Also, the film has a plot about a serial killer, and I'm pretty sure that it's just so that they can have lots of innocent women get topless and hacked to pieces.

OH MY GOSH! As I've been typing this they found a dead woman and
her stomach was writhing and a small dog burst out of it and one of the detectives just said in a serious voice: "The dog was her baby . . . so he put it in her womb."
HA! This is amazing!
This actually makes me sad.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I haven't seen Inferno yet.

But in terms of the ones I have seen:

Hellraiser 2: Hellbound
Hellraiser
Hellraiser: Deader
Hellraiser 3 (this one beats Judgement by a tiny margin, maybe?)
Hellraiser: Judgement
.
.
Hellraiser: Bloodline
.
Hellraiser: Revelations
Well at least it's better than Bloodline and Revelations. I think Bloodline might actually be my least favorite. It was just such a tedious, joyless note I didn't even enjoy mocking it. Revelations was bad but it didn't feel significantly worse than Hellraiser level bad.

I hope you check out Inferno. Scott Derrickson directed it and was clearly going for a neo-noir/Twin Peaks kind of thing that made for perhaps the most enjoyable sequel in my book. It's got a good handle on atmosphere and camp.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 am

Wooley wrote: This actually makes me sad.
Actually, after the first third (boob-centric, unfocused) it kind of levels out into something that is . . . passable. And there was one part of the ending that I really thought was great. After the meaningless, mean-spirited Hellraiser: Revelations, this one is a big step up.

Unrelatedly: have you guys seen the trailer for You Might Be the Killer? I urge you to only watch the first 50 seconds, as I feel like the trailer possibly gives away something too major. I am cautiously optimistic, as I quite like Fran Kranz.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well at least it's better than Bloodline and Revelations. I think Bloodline might actually be my least favorite. It was just such a tedious, joyless note I didn't even enjoy mocking it. Revelations was bad but it didn't feel significantly worse than Hellraiser level bad.
Really? I thought that Revelations was poorly acted and incredibly mean-spirited. It also had a
ton of people get pulled into hell for . . . no reason. Like just random innocent people getting dragged off by chains
. It lacked coherence and in my opinion it took far too much enjoyment in the
abuse of a woman and the murder of her baby
. At least Bloodlines had an interesting Cenobite or two.
I hope you check out Inferno. Scott Derrickson directed it and was clearly going for a neo-noir/Twin Peaks kind of thing that made for perhaps the most enjoyable sequel in my book. It's got a good handle on atmosphere and camp.
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen it yet. It must not pop up on streaming services quite as much as the others. I'll keep an eye out for it.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Really? I thought that Revelations was poorly acted and incredibly mean-spirited. It also had a
ton of people get pulled into hell for . . . no reason. Like just random innocent people getting dragged off by chains
. It lacked coherence and in my opinion it took far too much enjoyment in the
abuse of a woman and the murder of her baby
. At least Bloodlines had an interesting Cenobite or two.



I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen it yet. It must not pop up on streaming services quite as much as the others. I'll keep an eye out for it.
I'll be honest. I don't really remember Revelations. I remember watching it under the impression that it was going to be the worst Hellraiser by far (a prospect I found intriguing and on the border between pleasure and pain) but it struck me as a typical bad movie rather than especially bad. My only real memory was thinking "well... It's better than Bloodline."

My memory of Bloodline is comparably nebulous but is largely filled with animosity for managing to be the worst in the franchise and the worst "In Space!" Sequel. When you're making Jason X and Leprechaun in Space look good, you've got an issue. Well... Not Jason X. That's a camp masterpiece that looks good on its own.

I watched it on Netflix years ago. Ran through the whole franchise except the internet one. Hell World, I think.
User avatar
daakmore
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by daakmore » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 am

Caught up on some Genre films from the last year last night at a movie night.

The Endless - Really enjoyed this and now want to go back and check out the film makers previous films. Thought it did a good job of setting things up with family drama and just enough weird stuff to peak your interest and then finishes with a reasonable yet still mysterious explanation that is satisfying yet still open ended enough to be fitting for a film call The Endless. More psychological weirdness than scary horror but still very good.

Errementari (The Blacksmith and the Devil) - Really enjoyed this dark fable. The Practical effects and makeup were great and the story is fascinating and surprisingly funny at times. Gave me a very Guillermo Del Toro vibe at times and while I don't think it reaches that level of quality it is still fun ride.

The Dark (2018) - I liked the set up to this one and the main actress does a fine job but there were story issues I couldn't overlook that kind of derailed it. In particular
When the blind kid sneaks up and expertly stabs a lady only to a couple of scenes later be clearly fumbling about in the same location making all sorts of noise. I also really disliked that we didn't get a closure on the actual killer/raper of Mina, film just felt incomplete without that particularly since I would assume that was what brought her back from the dead to begin with
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Charles » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:19 am

daakmore wrote:
The Endless - Really enjoyed this and now want to go back and check out the film makers previous films. Thought it did a good job of setting things up with family drama and just enough weird stuff to peak your interest and then finishes with a reasonable yet still mysterious explanation that is satisfying yet still open ended enough to be fitting for a film call The Endless. More psychological weirdness than scary horror but still very good.
I love that movie. I haven't seen Spring yet, but Resolution is very much worth watching. It's low budget, but it does real good stuff with that budget.

I thought The Endless fizzled out with that ending, killing the theme sort of. I'd rate them both as equivalent because Resolution ends better.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 am

We Are Still Here was something that initially seemed like it would be my jam, started to put me off with its technical roughness, but ended up winning me over with the machine-gun-paced splatter of the third act. My interest in it was mostly due to the Fulci influence I'd heard about, and it definitely shows in the premise (The House by the Cemetery is an obvious reference point) and the gore, but also a bit in the characterizations. The hippie characters in this reminded me of Cinzea Monreale in The Beyond and Marc Porel in Seven Notes in Black, in that the movie actually treats them with some dignity instead of using them just for colour. And I think the characters are really what makes this work. It's not surprising that Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden play engaging characters, but I found both Andrew Sensenig and Lisa Marie brought some sympathy and some grace notes to their smarmy non-believe husband and new age hippie chick, respectively. They actually had me pretty involved in what was going on, despite the technical shortcomings being a bit distracting. It's funny, because there are some pretty good looking shots in the movie, but a lot of it looks kind of ugly (both thanks to the digital cinematography meshing poorly with the muted colour palette and the reliance on camera shaking during tense moments), and I think with the formal control of someone like Ti West, this could have been something special.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:17 am

Rock wrote:We Are Still Here was something that initially seemed like it would be my jam, started to put me off with its technical roughness, but ended up winning me over with the machine-gun-paced splatter of the third act. My interest in it was mostly due to the Fulci influence I'd heard about, and it definitely shows in the premise (The House by the Cemetery is an obvious reference point) and the gore, but also a bit in the characterizations. The hippie characters in this reminded me of Cinzea Monreale in The Beyond and Marc Porel in Seven Notes in Black, in that the movie actually treats them with some dignity instead of using them just for colour. And I think the characters are really what makes this work. It's not surprising that Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden play engaging characters, but I found both Andrew Sensenig and Lisa Marie brought some sympathy and some grace notes to their smarmy non-believe husband and new age hippie chick, respectively. They actually had me pretty involved in what was going on, despite the technical shortcomings being a bit distracting. It's funny, because there are some pretty good looking shots in the movie, but a lot of it looks kind of ugly (both thanks to the digital cinematography meshing poorly with the muted colour palette and the reliance on camera shaking during tense moments), and I think with the formal control of someone like Ti West, this could have been something special.
Aside from your offensive implication that West isn't a talentless, cynical prat, we're almost completely on the same page on this one.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Aside from your offensive implication that West isn't a talentless, cynical prat, we're almost completely on the same page on this one.
Hahaha, I knew you'd chime in as soon as I typed his name. But I couldn't help but think of the filmmaking in The House of the Devil, which has other problems but has a firmer handle on the visual style that this movie seems to be going for.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:34 am

Rock wrote: Hahaha, I knew you'd chime in as soon as I typed his name. But I couldn't help but think of the filmmaking in The House of the Devil, which has other problems but has a firmer handle on the visual style that this movie seems to be going for.
But his hackneyed conclusions and chaos would come out as a wet fart, which would hurt the film more than the mediocre to bad filmmaking of the bulk.

Their follow up film Mohawk is a bunch of squandered promise and none of the payoff. A real West type of a flick.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
But his hackneyed conclusions and chaos would come out as a wet fart, which would hurt the film more than the mediocre to bad filmmaking of the bulk.

Their follow up film Mohawk is a bunch of squandered promise and none of the payoff. A real West type of a flick.
I think the key to my proposal would be if the movie was filmed in chronological order and West was fired as director as soon as they reached the third act. It's probably not kosher in terms of DGA rules and whatnot, but I think everyone would be better off.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:41 am

Maybe Gareth Evans would do the climax pro bono, because he's cool like that.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 am

West would get some kind of severance package. I'm not a monster.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:52 am

Rock wrote:Maybe Gareth Evans would do the climax pro bono, because he's cool like that.
I can't remember if you watched the Apostle or not. What'd you think?
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 am

Rock wrote:West would get some kind of severance package. I'm not a monster.
You had me at fire West and lost me here.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: I can't remember if you watched the Apostle or not. What'd you think?
I was a fan. It's not as good or cohesive as the Raid movies or "Safe Haven", but there are some individual elements that Evans absolutely nails (the unstable dynamic of the cult and the charisma of its messianic figure; the fractured, traumatized headspace of its hero; violence translating to visceral dread rather than obvious shocks; and the atmosphere of horror from religious persecution in the Boxer Rebellion flashback, which channels some of the best parts of things like The Devils and Witchfinder General).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Rock wrote: I was a fan. It's not as good or cohesive as the Raid movies or "Safe Haven", but there are some individual elements that Evans absolutely nails (the unstable dynamic of the cult and the charisma of its messianic figure; the fractured, traumatized headspace of its hero; violence translating to visceral dread rather than obvious shocks; and the atmosphere of horror from religious persecution in the Boxer Rebellion flashback, which channels some of the best parts of things like The Devils and Witchfinder General).
I think my final stance was that it was a borderline nonsensical mess with excellent craft, moments and ideas. Too long yet undercooked. But that violence was effective.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Rock wrote:We Are Still Here was something that initially seemed like it would be my jam, started to put me off with its technical roughness, but ended up winning me over with the machine-gun-paced splatter of the third act. My interest in it was mostly due to the Fulci influence I'd heard about, and it definitely shows in the premise (The House by the Cemetery is an obvious reference point) and the gore, but also a bit in the characterizations. The hippie characters in this reminded me of Cinzea Monreale in The Beyond and Marc Porel in Seven Notes in Black, in that the movie actually treats them with some dignity instead of using them just for colour. And I think the characters are really what makes this work. It's not surprising that Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden play engaging characters, but I found both Andrew Sensenig and Lisa Marie brought some sympathy and some grace notes to their smarmy non-believe husband and new age hippie chick, respectively. They actually had me pretty involved in what was going on, despite the technical shortcomings being a bit distracting. It's funny, because there are some pretty good looking shots in the movie, but a lot of it looks kind of ugly (both thanks to the digital cinematography meshing poorly with the muted colour palette and the reliance on camera shaking during tense moments), and I think with the formal control of someone like Ti West, this could have been something special.
I really enjoyed it, but feel like others give it a more tepid reception than I did. I went into it knowing almost nothing and enjoyed the progression of the plot.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I think my final stance was that it was a borderline nonsensical mess with excellent craft, moments and ideas. Too long yet undercooked. But that violence was effective.
I'd be curious to see if your opinion improves with another viewing. It's an unwieldy movie for sure and lacking the focus and sustained impact of his other work, but I think that instability works in its favour in some ways.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I really enjoyed it, but feel like others give it a more tepid reception than I did. I went into it knowing almost nothing and enjoyed the progression of the plot.
From what I know of your tastes, you place a higher priority on good writing and empathetic characterization, which are things this movie does quite well, while I place a bit more priority on craft, which is where its weaknesses lie, so my enjoyment was hampered a bit in that regard. But even acknowledging that, I can see myself revisiting it and liking it even more in the future (I feel like well drawn, empathetic characters are less common than they should be in the splatter genre and this movie's strengths in that regard shouldn't be taken lightly), and it certainly ends on a high note.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:54 am

I started a rewatch of The House by the Cemetery, laughed unreasonably loud when I heard Bob's voice, and then realized I'm too tired to finish it today. Expect more riveting thoughts this weekend.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 am

Rock wrote: From what I know of your tastes, you place a higher priority on good writing and empathetic characterization, which are things this movie does quite well, while I place a bit more priority on craft, which is where its weaknesses lie, so my enjoyment was hampered a bit in that regard. But even acknowledging that, I can see myself revisiting it and liking it even more in the future (I feel like well drawn, empathetic characters are less common than they should be in the splatter genre and this movie's strengths in that regard shouldn't be taken lightly), and it certainly ends on a high note.
Weirdly, of all the things I could be unfavorable towards in this movie, the writing was what I disliked the most. I would have to watch it again to pinpoint what my specific problems were, but the construction of the story and the characters felt incredibly phony and artificial. I could see the writer's wheels turning, so to speak, with every line of dialogue.

While this has already been well established here, I still feel I need to mention once again that I fucking hated this movie.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Weirdly, of all the things I could be unfavorable towards in this movie, the writing was what I disliked the most. I would have to watch it again to pinpoint what my specific problems were, but the construction of the story and the characters felt incredibly phony and artificial. I could see the writer's wheels turning, so to speak, with every line of dialogue.

While this has already been well established here, I still feel I need to mention once again that I fucking hated this movie.
Aw, dude.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:07 am

Rock wrote: Aw, dude.
In fairness, it was definitely better than The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

Fuck you, Ron Howard.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 am

Rock wrote:I started a rewatch of The House by the Cemetery, laughed unreasonably loud when I heard Bob's voice, and then realized I'm too tired to finish it today. Expect more riveting thoughts this weekend.
That voice is half the fun. I feel like I love THBTC much more than everyone else on here. I think it strikes a wonderful balance between giallo and nonsensical supernatural horror.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 am

crumbsroom wrote:
In fairness, it was definitely better than The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

Fuck you, Ron Howard.
I think the film trying to match Carrey while Carrey did his thing makes it almost unwatchable.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2189
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:11 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Aside from your offensive implication that West isn't a talentless, cynical prat, we're almost completely on the same page on this one.
West talentless?!
He has a third-act problem, to be sure, but so does Nolan.
I think he's a gifted atmosphere-builder.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2189
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Rock wrote:I started a rewatch of The House by the Cemetery, laughed unreasonably loud when I heard Bob's voice, and then realized I'm too tired to finish it today. Expect more riveting thoughts this weekend.
I re-watched it earlier this year. Certainly better than I remembered but still has the same problems and should have been much better. Still fun.
Post Reply