Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:27 am

crumbsrbroom wrote:It's impossible.

I'll repeat...
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:30 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Nothing he ever did will ever be better than City of the Living Dead.

Nothing.

It's impossible.
Four of the Apocalypse is definitely better.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:43 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Four of the Apocalypse is definitely better.
I've seen it. It's not.

It's good, though. Better than The New York Ripper.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 am

Let's see....

The Beyond
Lizard in Woman's Skin
City of the Living Dead
Don't Torture a Duckling
The Black Cat
The House By the Cemetary
A Cat in the Brain
Zombi 2
Voice From Beyond
The Psychic
New York Ripper
Murder Rock
Conquest
Aenigma

There's still a couple of his horror films, and quite a lot of his non-horror films, I have left to see.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I've seen it. It's not.

It's good, though. Better than The New York Ripper.
It is though. Does City of the Living Dead have Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian? Exactly.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Does City of the Living Dead have Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian?
"Unfortunately, our set enforced a curfew on unaccompanied momma's boys."


Image
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:08 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It is though. Does City of the Living Dead have Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian? Exactly.
Yeah, but Contraband also has Fabio Testi, and that's not better than anything.

Btw, has anybody here seen Contraband? It's pretty blah aside from the gore, but amusingly has a very pro-smuggler perspective which makes a lot more sense once you realize the movie was funded by smugglers after running out of studio money.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 am

Rock wrote: Yeah, but Contraband also has Fabio Testi, and that's not better than anything.

Btw, has anybody here seen Contraband? It's pretty blah outside from the gore, but amusingly has a very pro-smuggler perspective which makes a lot more sense once you realize the movie was funded by smugglers after running out of studio money.
I own it but hope it's not as bad as you say. Slowed my poliziotteschi watching shortly after getting it.

Testi is awesome though and is one of the top 3 Italian actors of that era and genre along with Milian and Nero. His work with Castellari is awesome but I think his performance in FotA my show that he's possibly the best proper actor of them (though Milian would take great offense to that, he ego maniac).
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:13 am

I liked Testi quite a bit in Revolver, The Heroin Busters and The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, for the record. Contraband just wastes his talents.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:16 am

Rock wrote: Btw, has anybody here seen Contraband?
The only thing I remember really is that it's one of the goriest non-horror movies I've seen.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 am

Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Rock wrote:I liked Testi quite a bit in Revolver, The Heroin Busters and The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, for the record. Contraband just wastes his talents.
Let us not forget What Have You Done to Solange, appropos the thread.
Rock wrote:Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
Sho nuff.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Rock wrote:Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
Lake Mungo is my favorite horror film from the last 20 years. And it's not even close.

I also think it's one of the most convincing fake-documentaries by a long shot, and especially when it comes to horror-themed ones. It just does a great job of creating the right amount of doubt where you could see why some people would not be convinced that there was anything supernatural occurring. Plus I think that the performances are excellent.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by DaMU » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Rock wrote:Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
Yarp.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:14 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: It's quite possibly his best. That, Four of the Apocalypse and the Beyond.
I have actually come to like City Of The Living Dead more than The Beyond.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Wooley wrote: I have actually come to like City Of The Living Dead more than The Beyond.
I'm a fan of the Gates of Hell trilogy pretty equally despite how different they are. I choose the Beyond because it feels the most comprehensive for what Fulci does, a jack of all trades even if it lacks the specific mastery of what COTLD or THBTC do. I also think it has the strongest ending of them all by a lot. It would take a rewatch of all to feel concrete about whichever is best.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Rock wrote:Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
Yeah, we liked that a lot. Can't go as far as Tak, but it was a good movie.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:25 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I'm a fan of the Gates of Hell trilogy pretty equally despite how different they are. I choose the Beyond because it feels the most comprehensive for what Fulci does, a jack of all trades even if it lacks the specific mastery of what COTLD or THBTC do. I also think it has the strongest ending of them all by a lot. It would take a rewatch of all to feel concrete about whichever is best.
I do love the ending.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:31 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Lake Mungo is my favorite horror film from the last 20 years. And it's not even close.

I also think it's one of the most convincing fake-documentaries by a long shot, and especially when it comes to horror-themed ones. It just does a great job of creating the right amount of doubt where you could see why some people would not be convinced that there was anything supernatural occurring. Plus I think that the performances are excellent.
I do think it's specific format (actual fake documentary rather than pure found footage) helps its delivery quite a bit (it doesn't need the usual excuses for why the camera is still running), as do the strength of the performances by actors I assume are unknowns (at least I don't know them).

Also, the cover of the DVD is very misleading.

Image
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:36 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I'm a fan of the Gates of Hell trilogy pretty equally despite how different they are. I choose the Beyond because it feels the most comprehensive for what Fulci does, a jack of all trades even if it lacks the specific mastery of what COTLD or THBTC do. I also think it has the strongest ending of them all by a lot. It would take a rewatch of all to feel concrete about whichever is best.
I'd also put The Beyond above the others, if only because it's the nicest looking. The third act is awesome, even if
David Warbeck keeps forgetting to shoot the zombies' heads.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:51 am

Rock wrote: I'd also put The Beyond above the others, if only because it's the nicest looking. The third act is awesome, even if
David Warbeck keeps forgetting to shoot the zombies' heads.
God, that drives me crazy. They establish it and then he just... gah!
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10582
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:08 am

The New York Ripper is creepy and weird. NYC in the 1980s was perfect for cinema. I watched it on Halloween so thoughts to come later.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Rewatched The Black Cat on Christmas day, which is probably an odd viewing choice for the day but the movie feels very cozy for whatever reason and with all the Fulci talk I felt like revisiting it.

For whatever reason I'd remembered it being less violent than it was (probably because it's tame by Fulci's standards, even though it's far from bloodless). Anyway, still found it pretty enjoyable, for reasons both genuine (the craft and performances) and unintentionally hilarious (people getting into staring contests with cats).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Rock wrote:Rewatched The Black Cat on Christmas day, which is probably an odd viewing choice for the day but the movie feels very cozy for whatever reason and with all the Fulci talk I felt like revisiting it.

For whatever reason I'd remembered it being less violent than it was (probably because it's tame by Fulci's standards, even though it's far from bloodless). Anyway, still found it pretty enjoyable, for reasons both genuine (the craft and performances) and unintentionally hilarious (people getting into staring contests with cats).
Have you seen Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key? Arrow paired them together as adaptations of the Black Cat and while I enjoyed both, Vice was easily my preference. It was also my introduction to Martino and Fenech so it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:38 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Have you seen Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key? Arrow paired them together as adaptations of the Black Cat and while I enjoyed both, Vice was easily my preference. It was also my introduction to Martino and Fenech so it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.
I watched it way back when I was doing my thread on RT and liked it quite a bit at the time. I picked up the Arrow blu-ray (although I ended up getting it and The Black Cat separately - for some reason it was cheaper) but haven't revisited it yet.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Rock wrote: I watched it way back when I was doing my thread on RT and liked it quite a bit at the time. I picked up the Arrow blu-ray (although I ended up getting it and The Black Cat separately - for some reason it was cheaper) but haven't revisited it yet.
My friend was raiding Hastings when they closed down and grabbed the Black Cats set for himself and snagged me the other two separately. Individuals are often cheaper than the sets with Arrow. My Death Walks and Red Queen/Evelyn indivual copies were less than half what the sets cost.

Have you seen the Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh? I wanna make a comment about it relative to Locked Room but don’t want to give anything away.

Also, I finally watched the Ritual. I really liked it. It’s basically the boy version of the Descent meets Blair Witch. Good stuff.
User avatar
Apex Predator
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Rock wrote:Also, Lake Mungo. Good stuff, eh?
Si, senor.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: My friend was raiding Hastings when they closed down and grabbed the Black Cats set for himself and snagged me the other two separately. Individuals are often cheaper than the sets with Arrow. My Death Walks and Red Queen/Evelyn indivual copies were less than half what the sets cost.

Have you seen the Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh? I wanna make a comment about it relative to Locked Room but don’t want to give anything away.
I've seen it. Don't remember the specifics too well, but I remember liking some of the twists it threw at us. And I also like how Fenech gives actual (good) performances in these roles that could have just been cookie cutter sexpots in lesser hands.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 am

Rock wrote: I've seen it. Don't remember the specifics too well, but I remember liking some of the twists it threw at us. And I also like how Fenech gives actual (good) performances in these roles that could have just been cookie cutter sexpots in lesser hands.
I thought it was amusing that they're basically...
the same films with the same twists but with a gender swapped element for the perpetrator.
But yes. Fenech is wonderful in all the ways an actress can be wonderful and I seek out any giallo that feature her. She was utterly wasted in 5 Dolls for an August Moon.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Finished The Neon Demon and . . . eh.

I'd give the visuals an A, but the story a C. I don't object to dreamy narrative (obviously I love Valerie and Her Week of Wonders), but this film lacked an emotional anchor for me to hold onto.

And while I appreciate that the film largely does not treat the then-16 year old Elle Fanning in an overly pervy manner (though that scene in the bed with the knife . . . hm), there was something kind of iffy to me about this message about how desperate women are to look a certain way and the ridiculous lengths they will go . . . followed by a steamy, porny girl-girl shower scene.

I feel like this was also the whitest movie. Literally not one singe person of color, something that actually makes very little sense in a story set in the fashion world. I feel like there's also a problem with the queer representation in the film (we're talking about fashion and
the only gay representation on screen is a predatory lesbian make-up artist?
If you say so, movie!).

I did appreciate some of the dark humor here and there (favorite being "They also pinned my ears." "Why?!" "So I could wear a ponytail."), but the writing felt pretty flat to me.

It was pretty to look at, but I can't imagine ever wanting to rewatch it. There was no one to care about. There was no heart to it at all. It's the kind of film where I find myself wondering, "What was the point?".
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Rock wrote:Also, the cover of the DVD is very misleading.
Is she holding....a gun?

That looks like it belongs on a spine of a bad 90s Billy Zane thriller.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Takoma1 wrote:I appreciate that the film largely does not treat the then-16 year old Elle Fanning in an overly pervy manner (though that scene in the bed with the knife . . . hm)
I don't know if I'd call that...."pervy". Depends what you're into I guess. I thought that was one of the film's more disturbing moments.
Takoma1 wrote:followed by a steamy, porny girl-girl shower scene.
Yeah, but, uh....
they're bathing in blood!
I will admit that I'm out of touch with modern porn, but yeesh :shifty:
Takoma1 wrote:I feel like this was also the whitest movie. Literally not one singe person of color, something that actually makes very little sense in a story set in the fashion world.
Diversity is actually a very recent development in fashion, like maybe over the last decade or so. Prior to that, girls of color were highly tokenized with only a handful at any particular time, and East Asians almost non-existent. It's been very promising to see more diversity over the last few years, but the fashion industry has for a long time been criticized for its Euro-centrism, and culturally it largely still is.
Takoma1 wrote:I feel like there's also a problem with the queer representation in the film
But the girl-girl shower scene!
Washing off all that blood!!!
Takoma1 wrote:It was pretty to look at, but I can't imagine ever wanting to rewatch it. There was no one to care about. There was no heart to it at all. It's the kind of film where I find myself wondering, "What was the point?".
I'm not enthusiastic to defend the movie (because I think a lot of it is pretty silly), but I do think that it has some interest in what it says about the "beauty" industry (combining fashion, celebrity, pop marketing, etc), its predatory and exploitative nature, its cutthroat competitive nature, its homogeneity and conformity, and its all-consuming imperative. When a face is a product, it's very hard to care about the person wearing it.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:49 am

Jinnistan wrote:I don't know if I'd call that...."pervy". Depends what you're into I guess. I thought that was one of the film's more disturbing moments.
It's disturbing, but mainly to me because, look,
I have not seen a lot of actual pornography, but in the limited amount that I have seen, there is that moment where the girl giving the blowjob to the guy makes that gagging noise (because penis so big!!!). I felt like that scene (him telling her to open her mouth wider and then that gagging sound) was intentionally evoking porn.
If it's not meant to evoke sexual exploitation, then what? What was the point of that moment?

EDIT: So I was like "Am I just reading the sexual element into that scene?". I hadn't read much about the film before, but a quick google search pulled up the following, so I'm not alone here:
1. "The Keanu Reeves Deep Throat Knife-mare
Later in the film, Keanu Reeves’s character Hank is seen breaking into Jesse’s motel room and sticking a big knife down her throat. It’s definitely a dream or a nightmare, but what does it mean? Refn told Vulture that the knife deep-throat nightmare is “where the movie touches upon Jesse’s fear of penetration, and that’s what she imagines.”

2. "Upon returning to her motel, Jesse has a premonition of seedy motel owner Hank (Keanu Reeves) forcing a knife into her mouth and throat - an act that embodies the demons tendency for sexual violence, something that is to reoccur multiple times before the film closes."

3. [regarding an interview with Fanning]: "Two nights earlier, I'd watched this same young woman deep-throat a knife."
Diversity is actually a very recent development in fashion, like maybe over the last decade or so. Prior to that, girls of color were highly tokenized with only a handful at any particular time, and East Asians almost non-existent. It's been very promising to see more diversity over the last few years, but the fashion industry has for a long time been criticized for its Euro-centrism, and culturally it largely still is.
I guess I just disagree. Yes, maybe the models themselves. But not a single minority runway coach, costumer, makeup artist, production assistant? Watch a handful of episodes of America's Next Top Model and it's pretty clear that even if minority representation wasn't there on screen, it certainly has been there behind it. This is a film where the characters have cell phones, so it is contemporary. There's no reason for everyone in front of and behind the camera to be white. It also problematically posits that all beauty is on this sliding scale of pretty, thin, white women. It's like a critique of a version of the fashion industry where all the insider information is like 30 years out of date. And even if the whiteness of the models is intentional, was there really not space for a casting agent or a photographer to be non-white?
I'm not enthusiastic to defend the movie (because I think a lot of it is pretty silly), but I do think that it has some interest in what it says about the "beauty" industry (combining fashion, celebrity, pop marketing, etc), its predatory and exploitative nature, its cutthroat competitive nature, its homogeneity and conformity, and its all-consuming imperative. When a face is a product, it's very hard to care about the person wearing it.
I agree that these themes are present, but they are also the most cliche, well-worn tropes in films that follow aspiring actresses/models. Wait a minute! Are you telling me that there are those who would prey on naive young people just arrived to a big city?! Are you telling me that the fashion industry is *GASP* shallow and fixated on physical beauty? Again: Danielle's season of America's Next Top Model has more interesting conversations than this film. There's nothing original here. It's wrapped in a pretty package, but it feels like it adds up to a whole lot of nothing. And the characters who do seem to be original and different (Malone's make-up artist, Reeves's motel owner) are simply
dropped from the narrative without any closure.
It feels like they were just placed in the film to do some creepy, weird stuff and were then forgotten.

The more I reflect on it, the lower my opinion seems to get.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:39 am

Who here loves/likes Nightbreed? Talk to me about Nightbreed in vague terms.

In case you can't tell, I'm about 15 minutes into Nightbreed and not totally sure if I want to keep going.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:EDIT: So I was like "Am I just reading the sexual element into that scene?".
There's clearly a sexual implication in the scene, but does that, in itself, make it "pervy"? Because what I meant was that the scene pretty much provoked the opposite of arousal, not only in myself but most people who I've heard mention it. "Squirmy" might be more accurate.
Takoma1 wrote:I guess I just disagree. Yes, maybe the models themselves. But not a single minority runway coach, costumer, makeup artist, production assistant? Watch a handful of episodes of America's Next Top Model and it's pretty clear that even if minority representation wasn't there on screen, it certainly has been there behind it.
I would hate to have to suggest that reality TV might be a less than perfect reflection of reality, but I suspect that a show like this would deliberately stretch the demographics a bit. On a cursory look, most assessments I find in fashion, both in front and behind the camera, still show disparities but applaud the same recent inclusions that I mentioned and acknowledge a ways to go. Anyway, there's also the theme of homogeneity.
Takoma1 wrote:Again: Danielle's season of America's Next Top Model has more interesting conversations than this film.
I'll have to take your word for it, but this sounds like answering the diversity problem with "Kardashians", and that's a cure that's worse than the disease.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:Who here loves/likes Nightbreed? Talk to me about Nightbreed in vague terms.

In case you can't tell, I'm about 15 minutes into Nightbreed and not totally sure if I want to keep going.
It was a huge disappointment at the time, so the DC was welcomed a couple of years ago. It might improve it somewhat, but the flaws are still pretty glaring, especially in that (still) awful third act.

I say, ride it all the way.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1596
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Death Proof » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:37 am

Takoma1 wrote:Who here loves/likes Nightbreed? Talk to me about Nightbreed in vague terms.

In case you can't tell, I'm about 15 minutes into Nightbreed and not totally sure if I want to keep going.

I like Nightbreed.

Great character design. I think it's a pretty good story... but I don't know how vague you want.


And Cronenberg is awesome in it.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 am

Jinnistan wrote: There's clearly a sexual implication in the scene, but does that, in itself, make it "pervy"? Because what I meant was that the scene pretty much provoked the opposite of arousal, not only in myself but most people who I've heard mention it. "Squirmy" might be more accurate.
When I used the word pervy, I was referring specifically to the way that a 16 year old actress was being used in the film. And I had mixed feelings about watching a 16 year old girl laid out on a bed, while her 50-something male co-star put an object in her mouth while creepily saying "Wider" at the direction of her 47 year-old male writer/director. If you look back at the original paragraph where I made the comment, I was actually praising the film for the restraint it used in not just the lack of nudity (which I'm sure wasn't even entirely up to them) but just generally in the angles it choose with which to film her. By contrast, the final third of the film had several scenes that seemed to descend more into "man filming masturbatory fantasy" territory, and I include the knife scene in that group. Shooting at that side angle alternating with the camera looking down on her gives it a more voyeuristic, exploitative feeling and that's where the word "pervy" came to mind.
I would hate to have to suggest that reality TV might be a less than perfect reflection of reality, but I suspect that a show like this would deliberately stretch the demographics a bit. On a cursory look, most assessments I find in fashion, both in front and behind the camera, still show disparities but applaud the same recent inclusions that I mentioned and acknowledge a ways to go. Anyway, there's also the theme of homogeneity.
I loosely follow fashion and modeling and designers, and the white-on-white demographic of The Neon Demon didn't ring true to me. Try googling "Fashion show 2018" and scroll down. I mean, I get that this is a heightened, fantasy version of LA and it's dreamy and intentionally not real. And I also understand that the homogeneity is a huge theme (three beautiful blonde women somehow being ranked and having to edge just past one another). But I still think it's kind of weird and amazing that someone managed to make a movie about modeling and fashion and somehow in 2 hours of runtime not a single minority made an appearance. Not as a waiter, not even as someone eating dinner in the restaurant. The homogeneity makes sense to me in terms of the models, and maybe even in terms of the photographers/designers. But the dudes holding the lights in the last photo shoot?
I'll have to take your word for it, but this sounds like answering the diversity problem with "Kardashians", and that's a cure that's worse than the disease.
ANTM should be required viewing. Everyone should watch at least two seasons. Also, it's been a springboard for several women (and men!), including the awesome YaYa Decosta, who played Tally in The Nice Guys (slightly spoilery scene from the movie, so maybe don't watch if you haven't seen it yet!). Toccara Jones was repeatedly told that she was too big to be a real model, but went on to shoot in Vogue Italia. I'm not saying that ANTM solves anything. It's often full of fake drama and editing and all the other pitfalls of modern "reality" TV. But it makes visible some really important conversations about who is allowed to be "sexy" or worthy of a magazine spread. My point was that ANTM raises and explores much more interesting questions about the use and representation of female bodies, the biases and ruthlessness of the fashion industry, and the pull of conformity than anything I saw in The Neon Demon.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:47 am

Takoma1 wrote:By contrast, the final third of the film had several scenes that seemed to descend more into "man filming masturbatory fantasy" territory, and I include the knife scene in that group.
And I would not, and I don't know very many people who would consider the scene to be "masturbatory fantasy". I'm sure there are some sick men who might (*flashback to fabfunk*), but I still don't think that these aroused sadists overrule what I believe to be the intended response, which is one of recoil and horror.
Takoma1 wrote:Try googling "Fashion show 2018"
Otherwise known as my Bella Hadid folder?
Takoma1 wrote:ANTM should be required viewing.
M'yeah. I'll see what I can do. No offense or anything, I can't watch any of that artificial drama. I'm an equal opportunity reality TV hater, whether it's this, Bar Rescue, Duck Dynasty, Cupcake Wars, Celebrity Rehab. Any of it. Blah.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 am

Jinnistan wrote:And I would not, and I don't know very many people who would consider the scene to be "masturbatory fantasy". I'm sure there are some sick men who might (*flashback to fabfunk*), but I still don't think that these aroused sadists overrule what I believe to be the intended response, which is one of recoil and horror.
Because of the way that it was shot, that scene evoked more sex than horror for me. My discomfort came from the sex vibes, not the presence of the knife. I feel like the same sequence of events could have been shown in a way that wouldn't have felt nearly as objectifying. I literally just rewatched that scene and it's even worse than I remembered.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:31 am

Takoma1 wrote:Who here loves/likes Nightbreed? Talk to me about Nightbreed in vague terms.

In case you can't tell, I'm about 15 minutes into Nightbreed and not totally sure if I want to keep going.
Well, you should only EVER watch The Director's Cut that came out a few years ago.
If you do, it should be an interesting film, whether you ultimately like it or not.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Death Smiles on a Murderer has more in common with Lisa and the Devil and the Black Cat than it does other giallo, with its long sequences of silence, set only to its wonderful score by Berto Pisano, and emphasis on bizarre supernatural plotting befitting the Gothic horror with elements of classic giallo mixed in. It’s a film far from what I was expecting both in plot and in usage of Klaus Kinski, whom plays not a villain, but a fairly virtuous family doctor and he’s only in it for a very small amount of time. Instead, the bulk of the focus is on a love triangle with two lovers secretly cheating on each other with the same (mild spoiler) undead woman. This one is purely for the already converted but if you dig Gothic Italian horror, there’s a lot to enjoy here as it has all the pleasures the genre is known for: gorgeous cinematography, gorgeous often nude women gorgeous music,, strong violence and mysterious gloved hands doing the killing.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:38 pm

How was Nightbreed, Takoma?
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:36 am

Jinnistan wrote:How was Nightbreed, Takoma?
Unfinished.

After the emotional gauntlet of Temple Grandin I opted instead for an episode of Drag Race, followed by an episode of a show called House Doctor where an American woman remodels the homes of British people who are having trouble selling their homes.

It was the correct decision.

Tonight I'm hoping to finish Nightbreed and possibly start Hereditary.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by DaMU » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:05 am

Got about 30 minutes into Netflix Presents: Netflix's Bird Box - Based on the Novel Bird Box by Netflix, may try again tomorrow. There's something deeply disappointing about the anonymous camerawork/lighting/focus pulling of the film. All flatly-lit and medium close-ups with shallow depth of field, along with the constant handheld camerawork that adds nothing. If a robot directed a film, it might look like this: efficient and completely free of personality. I'm also not thrilling to the film's before the plague / after the plague cross-cutting.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 am

Okay, so Nightbreed.

First of all, the version I watched was 2 hours long, so I'm a little confused. Most sites say that the theatrical version is 100 minutes long, and the director's cut is 2 hours and 25 minutes. I guess maybe I watched some sort of extended cut? Based on what I've read, I saw the "original ending".

Overall I enjoyed the film, though I often felt that it lacked depth. Try as I might, I was just never that interested in Boone or Lori. The strongest elements of the film in terms of characters are Decker and the priest, Ashberry. None of the special effects or gore were as creepy to me as Decker removing his mask by putting his fingers through the twisted mouth hole.

Generally speaking I quite liked the creature designs, especially the god Baphomet and the man with the parasites in his stomach. It was a little disappointing (if unsurprising) that all of the highlighted female nightbreed were like a pair of nice boobs with monster design built around them. I did feel like the underworld was only half-realized. Like, what do these creatures eat? What is their day-to-day existence? It felt like a lot of ideas being thrown at the screen, even if they didn't have a sense of logic to them.

As with many films that are labeled "cult classics", I think I'd have enjoyed this one a lot more watching it with other people.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 am

I just finished Long Weekend and quite enjoyed it.

The film follows a bickering couple who have gone away to a secluded beach for a long weekend. The couple is incredibly hostile to the local animals/wildlife in ways that range from indifference to outright cruelty and maliciousness. As tensions build between the couple, things get really heightened when the local flora and fauna seem to take an aggressive dislike to the intruders.

I thought that this was a pretty effective and interesting film. I hadn't anticipated that I would be so engaged by the couple, who are (by design) incredibly unlikable. I was also really impressed with the slow-burn horror of the mysterious sea creature that haunts the husband as he swims and then continues to rear its head throughout the film.

The main thing that kept me away from this film for a long time was my dislike for seeing animal cruelty on screen. Aside from a crab that was run over by the car, I didn't see anything that really got to me in terms of feeling like real animals were being abused or killed.

I really liked the final act and the way that all the pieces came together. The last touch of the
truck driver transporting livestock
was a nice nod to the more "civilized" abuse of animals in modern society.

One thing that I thought came out kind of muddled was the way that the film tried to connect (*moderate spoilers for the relationship drama*)
the wife's abortion--without her husband's knowledge--to her mistreatment of nature. She openly scoffs at this connection, but the constant use of noises that sound like baby cries seem to imply that the film is connecting those dots. This troubled me because (1) I don't think that a medical decision made by a person about her own body is on par with running down animals in the wild with a van and (2) the husband is by far the worse one when it comes to the disregard for life, so for the film to kind of align itself with his contempt of her character felt kind of iffy. I do think that part of what is happening is the fact that SHE has the abortion on her mind and so she is hearing those "baby" sounds because of that--and I understand that part. But the conversation about the abortion is just kind of put out there before everything goes horribly wrong and it feels almost causal, so that we are left with her being judged for her actions and him not.
User avatar
Deschain13
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:49 am

I just watched the Netlfx thriller Cam. It’s a solid story that’s well shot and portrays camgirls in a positive light. The movie does a great job of showing people being sexy without becoming exploitative or even that arousing really. Unlike some other web-based movies it feels accurate without being gimmicky. I liked it. :)
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am

Takoma1 wrote:Okay, so Nightbreed.

First of all, the version I watched was 2 hours long, so I'm a little confused. Most sites say that the theatrical version is 100 minutes long, and the director's cut is 2 hours and 25 minutes. I guess maybe I watched some sort of extended cut? Based on what I've read, I saw the "original ending".

Overall I enjoyed the film, though I often felt that it lacked depth. Try as I might, I was just never that interested in Boone or Lori. The strongest elements of the film in terms of characters are Decker and the priest, Ashberry. None of the special effects or gore were as creepy to me as Decker removing his mask by putting his fingers through the twisted mouth hole.

Generally speaking I quite liked the creature designs, especially the god Baphomet and the man with the parasites in his stomach. It was a little disappointing (if unsurprising) that all of the highlighted female nightbreed were like a pair of nice boobs with monster design built around them. I did feel like the underworld was only half-realized. Like, what do these creatures eat? What is their day-to-day existence? It felt like a lot of ideas being thrown at the screen, even if they didn't have a sense of logic to them.

As with many films that are labeled "cult classics", I think I'd have enjoyed this one a lot more watching it with other people.
I have only seen the theatrical version (which you could actually see the weird studio-cuts and re-editing nightmare as you watched) and The Director's Cut, which actually kinda got the whole thing right. I've heard of the version you had but I haven't seen it.
But you're right, the problem with the movie is that the two main characters are not interesting at all, which could be a great intentional move, but it's not pulled off well either, either due to casting, acting, writing, who knows. But I have no interest in the two of them and that makes the whole thing problematic.
But with everything else in the movie on full-tilt, the DC is pretty cool.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Nightbreed had promise in its Midian mythos and the Cronenberg quack, and I don't even mind some of the cheaper-looking make-up designs given the budget constraints.

But the whole third act battle is so ridiculous that it can't be saved from any of the new cuts. Nor can a lot of that dialogue.
Post Reply