Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

I've only seen the original Nightbreed cut, and I thought it was so lousy, I can't even imagine sitting through what I've already seen to get another hour of additional material. Sure, it may fix what was wrong with it (everything?), but it sadly did not leave me wanting for more.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:35 am

Attempted (official!) 2018 horror film ranking:

Hereditary
Annihilation
Halloween
Apostle
The Wind
In Fabric
Malevolent
A Quiet Place
Suspiria
The Nun
The Cloverfield Paradox
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:37 am

A few days ago, my sister asked me about The Blackcoat's Daughter. I was like, "Well, it's atmospheric and I liked the sound design. It had some interesting ideas. I'm not sure it came together quite right, but I liked it."

She asked, "Could I watch it with someone who isn't that into gore?".

My mental inventory called up the scene where
Rose is killed on the stairs
and nothing else. I was like, "Yeah, it's one violent scene and then just a lot of atmosphere."

So today I drove up to where the family is hanging out for New Year's Eve. I get there and they were like "We have some things to say to you about Blackcoat's Daughter." I was like, "Oh, you watched it?". They said, "We watched it together last night. You said it was mostly atmosphere."

I was like, " . . . yeah?".

My sister says, "You failed to mention
ALL OF THE STABBINGS
!"

I said, "All of them? I just remember the one scene."

They were like, "
She killed everyone. She stabbed ALL THE PEOPLE. Then she cut someone's head off! You don't remember that?!?!?!"
I said, "Gosh, she
stabbed a whole bunch of people? I just don't remember that.
And from the kitchen my brother's girlfriend yells, "Oh, yeah, she
killed all the cunts.
"

Apparently, I just forgot a whole lot of events from The Blackcoat's Daughter. But I did remember its great sound design!

Anyway, later in the evening we were hanging out and the dogs started barking. When we got them quite, someone said, "Hey, do you guys hear that?" We were like, "No, what is it?". To which another person added, "Is it a voice
telling you to kill all the cunts?
". Good times.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 am

Happy gory New Year
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Takoma1 wrote:Good times.

My work here is done.

Btw, you were correct, after all. In terms of "gore", the film is bereft (things like the
decapitations are more suggested, with pulpy bags
), so it does say something about the effectiveness of these atmospherics (like that creepy phone call) which inspired in their minds a film that was far more graphic than it actually was. I'd call that a mission accomplished. Of course that's what I've always liked about the film, is its ability to disturb in suggestive ways that linger far longer than a typical modern horror film that would likely have ironically been far more graphic in its gory execution. Would they have been so unsettled by a random Saw? Maybe we'll never know.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote:Would they have been so unsettled by a random Saw? Maybe we'll never know.
They would HATE the Saw movies.

And they did actually like the film, they were just unprepared for the level of violence they thought they were getting into.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:I just finished Long Weekend and quite enjoyed it.

The film follows a bickering couple who have gone away to a secluded beach for a long weekend. The couple is incredibly hostile to the local animals/wildlife in ways that range from indifference to outright cruelty and maliciousness. As tensions build between the couple, things get really heightened when the local flora and fauna seem to take an aggressive dislike to the intruders.

I thought that this was a pretty effective and interesting film. I hadn't anticipated that I would be so engaged by the couple, who are (by design) incredibly unlikable. I was also really impressed with the slow-burn horror of the mysterious sea creature that haunts the husband as he swims and then continues to rear its head throughout the film.

The main thing that kept me away from this film for a long time was my dislike for seeing animal cruelty on screen. Aside from a crab that was run over by the car, I didn't see anything that really got to me in terms of feeling like real animals were being abused or killed.

I really liked the final act and the way that all the pieces came together. The last touch of the
truck driver transporting livestock
was a nice nod to the more "civilized" abuse of animals in modern society.

One thing that I thought came out kind of muddled was the way that the film tried to connect (*moderate spoilers for the relationship drama*)
the wife's abortion--without her husband's knowledge--to her mistreatment of nature. She openly scoffs at this connection, but the constant use of noises that sound like baby cries seem to imply that the film is connecting those dots. This troubled me because (1) I don't think that a medical decision made by a person about her own body is on par with running down animals in the wild with a van and (2) the husband is by far the worse one when it comes to the disregard for life, so for the film to kind of align itself with his contempt of her character felt kind of iffy. I do think that part of what is happening is the fact that SHE has the abortion on her mind and so she is hearing those "baby" sounds because of that--and I understand that part. But the conversation about the abortion is just kind of put out there before everything goes horribly wrong and it feels almost causal, so that we are left with her being judged for her actions and him not.
This is the '78 version or the '08 version?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 pm

crumbsroom wrote:I've only seen the original ]Nightbreed cut, and I thought it was so lousy, I can't even imagine sitting through what I've already seen to get another hour of additional material. Sure, it may fix what was wrong with it (everything?), but it sadly did not leave me wanting for more.
I also thought Nightbreed was terrible with just a few worthwhile elements when I first saw it, but, while I do not think the DC makes it a great movie or anything, I would say I at least like the film now despite some significant flaws.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Wooley wrote: This is the '78 version or the '08 version?
70s version.

And this is the kind of film where I'd be incredibly skeptical of a modern remake. I thought that the film was pretty great at communicating that these were two people at their worst, and weaving their drama into the "nature's revenge" plot.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 am

Any of you guys done the Black Mirror: Bandersnatch choose-your-own-adventure movie?

I'm about an hour into it.

It has some of the drawbacks of any choose-your-own-adventure story: after a certain point, you keep finding yourself at the same dead ends. Sometimes when you "reset" to a certain point, it does a montage, but other times it plays the full scene and despite some interesting elements (for example, it seemed to me that there was a brief, "deja vu" shot added to one of the replays, but I can't be sure), I did get a little impatient.

On the plus side, it's a fun format, and especially with the meta element of what's actually happening in the story and the discussion of free will. I like that the creators were trying to play with the limits of the format (for example, when the character
is in a memory and there's a choice screen, but there's only one choice because it's in the past
).

I'd be interested to know what choices most people made. My inclination in these types of things is to do what's best for the character and not the story, so I know I was making some of the "boring" choices (like choosing to put him in therapy and take his meds).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Went through a slasher binge to ring in the new year:

The Prowler: Exceptionally well done gore in a boilerplater slasher. If it had better characters, it would have been a hell of a slasher despite its premise just on the strength of its violence. Savini is simply the best at gore. Nicotero has yet to top the master.

Madman: The titular villain sounds like Suburban Sasquatch and looks like Ethan Suplee in Without a Paddle. He’s not a compelling or frightening slasher and the kills came off particularly mild after the Prowler. The flick has some eccentricities and style that make it amusing at times but it’s hardly a slasher deserving of being rediscovered or reassessed. It does have Francine from Dawn of the Dead acting under a pseudonym and a very atypical ending, so if you’re bored and want some slash, it may work for the fully converted.

Madhouse: Now this one I liked a lot. It has more than a lot in common with Happy Birthday to Me, but it’s murder set pieces are more unique (the use of a Rottweiler reminded me of Green Room at times), is rather formally accomplished and has better than average acting. I was shocked that the lead actress didn’t really seem to have much of a film career outside of this (just some bit parts in tv) because she was one of the better final girls I’ve seen, certainly the best of the night, and quite pretty to boot. The film just has a general off kilter quality to it and like HBTM, wears its giallo influence on its sleeve. That’s not particularly surprising as this was made by an Italian director and crew. I think this one is begging for people to take notice again and between Arrow and Amazon Prime, it’s in a good position for such a thing
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 am

I liked Madman in a narrow, brutal sense. The Prowler is only decent thanks to Tom Savini.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 am

MadMan wrote:I liked Madman in a narrow, brutal sense. The Prowler is only decent thanks to Tom Savini.
What did you like about it? I think that given how much of the film is kill sequences, given the fairly stripped down nature of the film (which I appreciated), Savini elevates the film way more than it deserves.

I have also watched:

What Have You Done to Solange: Groovy giallo starring Fabio Testi and directed by the cinematographer of Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. It’s influence as a giallo can be felt all throughout the genre and I feel odd seeing it this late into my giallo views as I’ve seen elements of this done in other flicks. Still, it’s classier and heavier than most in the genre and well worth checking out.

Crush the Skull: the presence of an Asian American lead and Asian American director pushed me to watch this Kickstarter venture. Like all Kickstarter films, it feels fairly cheap. It’s flatly lit, edited in a perfunctory manner and the composition is simple and fairly uninteresting. However, the acting is above average and it putting emphasis on the humor rather than scares was the right choice. It kept things light and entertaining throughout. Fans of Jason Mendoza from the Good Place should find one of the characters fairly amusing as I swear, they’re written almost identically (this character throws fewer Molotov cocktails though). It’s enjoyable with low expectations.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 am

I enjoyed Crush the Skull. It was surprisingly funny and brutal in all the right places.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:What Have You Done to Solange: Groovy giallo starring Fabio Testi and directed by the cinematographer of Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. It’s influence as a giallo can be felt all throughout the genre and I feel odd seeing it this late into my giallo views as I’ve seen elements of this done in other flicks. Still, it’s classier and heavier than most in the genre and well worth checking out.
Have you seen Colt 38 Special Squad from the same director? It's got problems, but I liked its straightforward cops-vs-crooks worldview which helped it stand out to me from other poliziotteschi I've seen.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 am

Rock wrote: Have you seen Colt 38 Special Squad from the same director? It's got problems, but I liked its straightforward cops-vs-crooks worldview which helped it stand out to me from other poliziotteschi I've seen.
I haven’t but tonight I did watch What Have They Done to Your Daughters, which is a poliziotteschi/giallo mash-up and I goddamn loved it. It was a best of both worlds type and it had an atypically strong female character and treated its exploitative elements as the ugly things they are rather than something titilating.

I also loved Creed 2. I guess I’m just in a loving mood.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 am

You should take advantage of this loving mood and watch The Territory! That goes for all of you!
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Death Smiles on a Murderer has more in common with Lisa and the Devil and the Black Cat than it does other giallo, with its long sequences of silence, set only to its wonderful score by Berto Pisano, and emphasis on bizarre supernatural plotting befitting the Gothic horror with elements of classic giallo mixed in. It’s a film far from what I was expecting both in plot and in usage of Klaus Kinski, whom plays not a villain, but a fairly virtuous family doctor and he’s only in it for a very small amount of time. Instead, the bulk of the focus is on a love triangle with two lovers secretly cheating on each other with the same (mild spoiler) undead woman. This one is purely for the already converted but if you dig Gothic Italian horror, there’s a lot to enjoy here as it has all the pleasures the genre is known for: gorgeous cinematography, gorgeous often nude women gorgeous music,, strong violence and mysterious gloved hands doing the killing.
My primary disappointment with this one was that...

I was assuming/hoping that would have been Kinski getting kitty-mauled
Other than that, it is a surprisingly nifty amalgamation of at least three Poe tales, Kinski's dubbed accent is hilarious (I'm sure that's how he always thought he sounded), and Candy's Ewa Aulin proves she's not a half-bad actress.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 am

Jinnistan wrote: My primary disappointment with this one was that...

I was assuming/hoping that would have been Kinski getting kitty-mauled
Other than that, it is a surprisingly nifty amalgamation of at least three Poe tales, Kinski's dubbed accent is hilarious (I'm sure that's how he always thought he sounded), and Candy's Ewa Aulin proves she's not a half-bad actress.
Indeed. Kinski was almost a strike against the film due to how wasted he was and how he could have been done by any number of actors.

What three Poe stories were you detecting? There's A Cask of Amontillado mixed with the Black Cat. What else?

I also watched The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave. It's also an entertaining mix or Gothic horror and giallo but favors giallo by a large margin. Anthony Steffen steps out of the spaghetti western to play a mentally ill aristocrat and murderer that may be wrapped up in a murder plot for which he is the intended victim.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Went through a slasher binge to ring in the new year:

The Prowler: Exceptionally well done gore in a boilerplater slasher. If it had better characters, it would have been a hell of a slasher despite its premise just on the strength of its violence. Savini is simply the best at gore. Nicotero has yet to top the master.

Madman: The titular villain sounds like Suburban Sasquatch and looks like Ethan Suplee in Without a Paddle. He’s not a compelling or frightening slasher and the kills came off particularly mild after the Prowler. The flick has some eccentricities and style that make it amusing at times but it’s hardly a slasher deserving of being rediscovered or reassessed. It does have Francine from Dawn of the Dead acting under a pseudonym and a very atypical ending, so if you’re bored and want some slash, it may work for the fully converted.

Madhouse: Now this one I liked a lot. It has more than a lot in common with Happy Birthday to Me, but it’s murder set pieces are more unique (the use of a Rottweiler reminded me of Green Room at times), is rather formally accomplished and has better than average acting. I was shocked that the lead actress didn’t really seem to have much of a film career outside of this (just some bit parts in tv) because she was one of the better final girls I’ve seen, certainly the best of the night, and quite pretty to boot. The film just has a general off kilter quality to it and like HBTM, wears its giallo influence on its sleeve. That’s not particularly surprising as this was made by an Italian director and crew. I think this one is begging for people to take notice again and between Arrow and Amazon Prime, it’s in a good position for such a thing
The fact that I think The Prowler is one of the worst slashers, if not THE worst, is a matter of public record here. I didn't think a lot of Madman, it was watchable but nothing to mention, but it was a helluva lot better than The Prowler. Definitely liked Madhouse, though.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:51 am

Wooley wrote: The fact that I think The Prowler is one of the worst slashers, if not THE worst, is a matter of public record here. I didn't think a lot of Madman, it was watchable but nothing to mention, but it was a helluva lot better than The Prowler. Definitely liked Madhouse, though.
No way is a slasher with Savini gore the worst or among the worst. I can get not liking it but the bar for this genre hangs especially low. What about it got such ire from you?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:21 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
No way is a slasher with Savini gore the worst or among the worst. I can get not liking it but the bar for this genre hangs especially low. What about it got such ire from you?
I just thought it was a terrible movie. I mean, barely a movie. The Savini thing actually helps me make sense of it, it seemed like they just tried to film a bunch of kills and then drape whatever popped into their heads over it as they were filming. I actually came away from the film with just that impression, if I remember my original write-up of it, that I truly believed they went in with nothing but the kill scenes and then just made things up as they were filming and called lines out to the "actors". It seemed like just a garbage production to me. Movie basically makes no sense at all and then tries to pull it together at the very end, which is why everyone has that same reaction, "Oh it was just exactly that (person) the whole time?"

Edit: When I think about comparing it to a movie like The Final Terror, The Prowler just gets worse. I mean, TFT is low, low budget, yet it has a completely cohesive narrative and characters that work for the film. And I am dredging the bottom of the barrel here to make a comparison, right? If I have to go all the way down to The Final Terror? And it still fails miserably by comparison? The only film that I ever compare The Prowler to is the just-pathetic Prom Night. Those two, I would say, are the worst first-gen slashers I've ever seen. Literally in a separate class all their own, below everything else.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Wooley wrote:the just-pathetic Prom Night
I will not have you besmirch that fine film's name, good sir.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 pm

Wooley wrote: I just thought it was a terrible movie. I mean, barely a movie. The Savini thing actually helps me make sense of it, it seemed like they just tried to film a bunch of kills and then drape whatever popped into their heads over it as they were filming. I actually came away from the film with just that impression, if I remember my original write-up of it, that I truly believed they went in with nothing but the kill scenes and then just made things up as they were filming and called lines out to the "actors". It seemed like just a garbage production to me. Movie basically makes no sense at all and then tries to pull it together at the very end, which is why everyone has that same reaction, "Oh it was just exactly that (person) the whole time?"

Edit: When I think about comparing it to a movie like The Final Terror, The Prowler just gets worse. I mean, TFT is low, low budget, yet it has a completely cohesive narrative and characters that work for the film. And I am dredging the bottom of the barrel here to make a comparison, right? If I have to go all the way down to The Final Terror? And it still fails miserably by comparison? The only film that I ever compare The Prowler to is the just-pathetic Prom Night. Those two, I would say, are the worst first-gen slashers I've ever seen. Literally in a separate class all their own, below everything else.
By first gen do you mean 80s or non-sequels? Because I think the Prowler is pretty much middle of the pack but it’s standing greatly increases if sequels are added to the mix. I think it having Savini’s gore and murder set pieces makes it stand high above slashers that don’t have that nor solid plots or acting (Madman, the Mutilator, Prom Night, etc).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Body Melt felt like it should have been fun, but it was ultimately too incoherent and silly for its own good. Clearly inspired by Braindead, especially in the special effects department, but lacking a clear narrative or even a protagonist.

The film follows the residents of a neighborhood who are sent free "samples" of a new fitness supplement, little knowing that they are actually part of a research project by the inventors of the chemical. The results of the chemical on the people are, well, see the title.

Still, it did have two effective subplots. My favorite was the man who immediately begins hallucinating a woman who looks like she's been beaten, but alternates between that and looking healthy. She seduces him and opens a case containing ribs and says that she is on a quest to collect 13 male ribs. The whole series of scenes with him and her were just delightfully surreal and creepy.

Another decent subplot had to do with a woman who was pregnant. I know that this is something that I was bringing to the film, but pretty recently an acquaintance described a pretty gruesome miscarriage that she had while staying in a hotel for a conference in another state. Just . . . a ton of blood. So once the pregnant character had taken the chemical, every time she would lay on her bed I got these weird little echoes and flashbacks to hearing the miscarriage story. For me personally it added a lot of anxiety to those sequences, but even without the personal side to it, I think that it was a reasonably disturbing piece of the film.

Other parts, though, just kind of drag. A family staying at a "resort" hosted by the evil chemical company. Or two bros who end up at the home of a weird, deformed family. A character whose only function (and only defining characteristic) was to have his penis explode. These parts weren't entirely without merit or gruesomely funny moments, but they did feel like they went on twice as long as they should have.

Very, very lightly recommended, but I think it will mostly make you wish you were watching Braindead.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
By first gen do you mean 80s or non-sequels? Because I think the Prowler is pretty much middle of the pack but it’s standing greatly increases if sequels are added to the mix. I think it having Savini’s gore and murder set pieces makes it stand high above slashers that don’t have that nor solid plots or acting (Madman, the Mutilator, Prom Night, etc).
I would put Madman clearly above it (and I didn't think much of Madman), I can't remember if I saw The Mutilator, it's equal to or just below Prom Night, IMO.
I think LOTS of slasher sequels are better than The Prowler, including F13 2 (really all the F13s I've seen, as bad as they are), and all the Halloween movies I've seen (including 4, 5, and Curse). I mean, I really, really can't name a slasher, off the top of my head, I thought was worse and only PN comes close.
I mean, I just watched Don't Go In The House (maybe not quite a slasher, maybe so) and that was worlds better even on that budget.
I actually watched Island Of The Fish-Men the other night (not a slasher, I know, but it's really a movie and I really did watch it) and it was a better film than The Prowler.
I just don't know what else to say.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Takoma1 wrote:Body Melt

A character whose only function (and only defining characteristic) was to have his penis explode. These parts weren't entirely without merit.
ROFL :P
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Wooley wrote: I would put Madman clearly above it (and I didn't think much of Madman), I can't remember if I saw The Mutilator, it's equal to or just below Prom Night, IMO.
I think LOTS of slasher sequels are better than The Prowler, including F13 2 (really all the F13s I've seen, as bad as they are), and all the Halloween movies I've seen (including 4, 5, and Curse). I mean, I really, really can't name a slasher, off the top of my head, I thought was worse and only PN comes close.
I mean, I just watched Don't Go In The House (maybe not quite a slasher, maybe so) and that was worlds better even on that budget.
I actually watched Island Of The Fish-Men the other night (not a slasher, I know, but it's really a movie and I really did watch it) and it was a better film than The Prowler.
I just don't know what else to say.
If it didn’t work for you, it didn’t work. It’s not a strong enough movie that I’m particularly up in arms over. I just don’t find it guilty of many sins that other slashers don’t also often commit and they usually do it without as much gusto in the visceral violence department. The shotgun headshot alone made it more memorable to me than virtually every slasher you just named.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 am

Wooley wrote: ROFL :P
It's one of a few moments that genuinely caught me off guard.

(SPOILERS FOR DESCRIPTION OF EXPLODING PENIS)
*Penis starts swelling* (under clothing, like, c'mon nudity double standard!)
*Me: Wait is he about to . . ."
*POP*
*SPLATTER*
But here's the problem: the character is so one-dimensional and neither someone we care about nor someone we super dislike, so you don't feel like "Oh, no!" and neither do you feel like "Serves you right!!". It's just . . . a thing that happens.

Still, the idea is horrifying enough and the editing decent enough that the moment deserves mention.

Look, we can't all have high standards.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 am

On a separate, family friendly note, I think the House with a Clock in Its Walls is perfectly entertaining. Roth proves he’s capable of things that don’t require gallons of fake blood, Blanchett classes up, the kid that’s somehow not Jacob Tremblay is solid and Jack Black is proving particularly fitting and adept at this style of film between this and Goosebumps. I’m a fan.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
It's one of a few moments that genuinely caught me off guard.

(SPOILERS FOR DESCRIPTION OF EXPLODING PENIS)
*Penis starts swelling* (under clothing, like, c'mon nudity double standard!)
*Me: Wait is he about to . . ."
*POP*
*SPLATTER*
But here's the problem: the character is so one-dimensional and neither someone we care about nor someone we super dislike, so you don't feel like "Oh, no!" and neither do you feel like "Serves you right!!". It's just . . . a thing that happens.

Still, the idea is horrifying enough and the editing decent enough that the moment deserves mention.

Look, we can't all have high standards.
Heh. I know right, here I am bitching about The Prowler's cinematic merits (lack thereof to be sure) while shining my flashlight of shame on your penis-explosion.
That said, I thought your statement, taken out of context, was hilarious. Unless, of course, that's exactly the context you intended.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:On a separate, family friendly note, I think the House with a Clock in Its Walls is perfectly entertaining. Roth proves he’s capable of things that don’t require gallons of fake blood, Blanchett classes up, the kid that’s somehow not Jacob Tremblay is solid and Jack Black is proving particularly fitting and adept at this style of film between this and Goosebumps. I’m a fan.
I am intrigued.
I will watch absolutely anything with Cate Blanchett, but usually will watch almost nothing involving either Black or Roth, so this could be interesting viewing for me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am

Wooley wrote: I am intrigued.
I will watch absolutely anything with Cate Blanchett, but usually will watch almost nothing involving either Black or Roth, so this could be interesting viewing for me.
I’m not sure how this will go over given your distaste for Roth and Amblin entertainment. How do you feel about Goosebumps, Harry Potter and Miss Peregrines?

It also has Kyle Maclachlin. And he does his thing as well. It does have a cheap joke it pushes a bit hard but I bet it would kill with kids. I am curious but it would be a very cautious recommendation to you.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:16 am

Wooley wrote:Heh. I know right, here I am bitching about The Prowler's cinematic merits (lack thereof to be sure) while shining my flashlight of shame on your penis-explosion.
That said, I thought your statement, taken out of context, was hilarious. Unless, of course, that's exactly the context you intended.
Well, I thought it was funny as I wrote it, and almost moved the comment about the penis explosion to a different sentence. But I feel like if any audience could appreciate finding merit in exploding genitals, it would be this crowd. And I mean that as a compliment.
Wooley wrote:I will watch absolutely anything with Cate Blanchett, but usually will watch almost nothing involving either Black or Roth, so this could be interesting viewing for me.
Roth is a big turn-off for me (on multiple levels), but I thought that Jack Black was really good in the recent Jumanji film, and The House with a Clock in Its Walls has been on my radar. The book on which it's based is also supposed to be pretty good, and I've had a copy in my classroom for a while now.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:41 am

That new Jumanji was much better than it had any right to be, given how much of the movie was Kevin Hart running away from CGI animals.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 am

Rock wrote:That new Jumanji was much better than it had any right to be, given how much of the movie was Kevin Hart running away from CGI animals.
It had charismatic leads, it was self-aware without being annoyingly meta, and it kept the pop culture references to a minimum. One of the bigger surprises of the last few years for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: I’m not sure how this will go over given your distaste for Roth and Amblin entertainment. How do you feel about Goosebumps, Harry Potter and Miss Peregrines?

It also has Kyle Maclachlin. And he does his thing as well. It does have a cheap joke it pushes a bit hard but I bet it would kill with kids. I am curious but it would be a very cautious recommendation to you.
I didn't see Goosebumps or Miss Peregrines, they kinda reeked a bit (especially the former) of The Monster Squad. I mostly liked the Harry Potter movies, though.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 am

Wooley wrote: I didn't see Goosebumps or Miss Peregrines, they kinda reeked a bit (especially the former) of The Monster Squad. I mostly liked the Harry Potter movies, though.
I have no real baseline for how you’ll receive the movie but I’m not optimistic based on this response. Both Goosebumps and Miss Peregrines were surprises to me, especially Goosebumps, which I found to be a fun and charming romp. This film is between Goosebumps and Harry Potter in terms of tone and style. It’s less serious and more comical than Harry Potter, as well as much smaller in scope, but has a fairly similar world that it builds with riffs on warlocks and witches.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:On a separate, family friendly note, I think the House with a Clock in Its Walls is perfectly entertaining. Roth proves he’s capable of things that don’t require gallons of fake blood, Blanchett classes up, the kid that’s somehow not Jacob Tremblay is solid and Jack Black is proving particularly fitting and adept at this style of film between this and Goosebumps. I’m a fan.
Wow, I had no idea that was a Roth film. Where have I been?

What's the beef that people have with Jack Black? Is it because he plays the same character in every movie? I like him. Ain't no shame in my game.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:09 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I have no real baseline for how you’ll receive the movie but I’m not optimistic based on this response. Both Goosebumps and Miss Peregrines were surprises to me, especially Goosebumps, which I found to be a fun and charming romp. This film is between Goosebumps and Harry Potter in terms of tone and style. It’s less serious and more comical than Harry Potter, as well as much smaller in scope, but has a fairly similar world that it builds with riffs on warlocks and witches.
Well, I can try and set my mind for it and maybe I'll like it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Wow, I had no idea that was a Roth film. Where have I been?

What's the beef that people have with Jack Black? Is it because he plays the same character in every movie? I like him. Ain't no shame in my game.
Yes, and that that character was amusing exactly ONCE (High Fidelity).
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Wooley wrote: Yes, and that that character was amusing exactly ONCE (High Fidelity).
Too much credit.

I don't like Black for the reason I don't like any comic actor who resorts to strangling a scene to death to get a laugh. It always comes off to me as pathetic and desperate.

That said, he at least seems like a decent enough guy in interviews. And maybe he's done alright with some of his dramatic work (haven't seen any). But he's the sort of actor that if his name comes up in the trailer, nah, probably not going to see it.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:38 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Too much credit.

I don't like Black for the reason I don't like any comic actor who resorts to strangling a scene to death to get a laugh. It always comes off to me as pathetic and desperate.

That said, he at least seems like a decent enough guy in interviews. And maybe he's done alright with some of his dramatic work (haven't seen any). But he's the sort of actor that if his name comes up in the trailer, nah, probably not going to see it.
I don't actively seek out his films but he generally makes me laugh when I encounter him. I was a fan of Tenacious D in the early days so maybe it's just leftover good will. Keep in mind I'm a Jerry Lewis fan, so scene-strangling is clearly not an issue for me.

(and Black was good in that Linklater movie whose name escapes me)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I enjoyed Jack Black in The D Train and Jumanji. He was excellent in Bernie.

But recently I watched Orange County and it reminded me of why I tend to want to avoid him. It's this manic, "what will he say next?!?!?!?" character schtick that is just exhausting.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:54 pm

I think Jack Black is great in the right roles. He’s fun in Tenacious D because he’s in his element and now he’s in all these kids movies and fits right into that tone. There was a point back in the early 2000s where they just put him in everything whether he was right for it or not and I can see how that turned people off him. Like wtf was he doing in King Kong?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Wow, I had no idea that was a Roth film. Where have I been?

Have you seen it?

There's a theatrical quality to Black's acting and an instinct to go big. When he's in a film that rewards such impulses or working with a director that knows when to reign him in, he's great. Otherwise, he seems to rub folks wrong due to him standing out so much in his films.

Between Roth and Black, I fear too many will enter this film with some unfair expectations and baggage.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Have you seen it?

There's a theatrical quality to Black's acting and an instinct to go big. When he's in a film that rewards such impulses or working with a director that knows when to reign him in, he's great. Otherwise, he seems to rub folks wrong due to him standing out so much in his films.

Between Roth and Black, I fear too many will enter this film with some unfair expectations and baggage.
Haven't seen it. The trailer caught my eye but I never got around to it. In a weird way, finding out it's a Roth film makes me want to see it more, even though I'm not fond of the guy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Haven't seen it. The trailer caught my eye but I never got around to it. In a weird way, finding out it's a Roth film makes me want to see it more, even though I'm not fond of the guy.
I need someone to join me on the Roth side.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I need someone to join me on the Roth side.
lol I bet.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Takoma1 wrote:He was excellent in Bernie.
Yup.
Takoma1 wrote:But recently I watched Orange County and it reminded me of why I tend to want to avoid him. It's this manic, "what will he say next?!?!?!?" character schtick that is just exhausting.
Yup.