Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Jinnistan wrote: lol I bet.
I feel like your appreciation for Eurotrash schlock would make you appreciate what he does, which is simply trying to faithfully recreate that style of cinema, both virtues and vices intact.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I feel like your appreciation for Eurotrash schlock would make you appreciate what he does, which is simply trying to faithfully recreate that style of cinema, both virtues and vices intact.
I think that "simply trying" are the operative words here.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Too much credit.

And maybe he's done alright with some of his dramatic work (haven't seen any).
He was terrible in King Kong. I mean it was cringe-inducing. He seems to only know how to act like hammy Jack Black and when he's asked to act like a normal person, he just doesn't have it in him.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Deschain13 wrote:There was a point back in the early 2000s where they just put him in everything whether he was right for it or not and I can see how that turned people off him. Like wtf was he doing in King Kong?
Yeah, I'll buy that. And, exactly.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 pm

crumbsroom wrote:I don't like Black for the reason I don't like any comic actor who resorts to strangling a scene to death to get a laugh. It always comes off to me as pathetic and desperate.
I feel like this actually works pretty well in School of Rock, in which his character is perpetually sweaty, hungover and this close to losing his job.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Rock wrote: I feel like this actually works pretty well in School of Rock, in which his character is perpetually sweaty, hungover and this close to losing his job.
You could argue that works for that particular movie, but you could also argue that this particular movie isn't very good. Which is probably the angle I would go for.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:10 am

Jinnistan wrote: I think that "simply trying" are the operative words here.
Even were he failing, I don’t see how that would separate him by anything than a negligible amount from the dreck you and Crummy subject yourselves to on a daily basis.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Even were he failing, I don’t see how that would separate him by anything than a negligible amount from the dreck you and Crummy subject yourselves to on a daily basis.
I didn't say that he was failing, per se. I'm saying that his effort is very simple. Very simple.

Anyway, that does remind me that I have this Hell of the Living Dead on board, so we shall see who laughs last.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:29 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Anyway, that does remind me that I have this Hell of the Living Dead on board, so we shall see who laughs last.
I'm already laughing, because laughing first is totally appropriate here.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:29 am

Let me put it another way. It's like the difference between someone who's mentally ill - like a Daniel Johnston, Wesley Willis, Alexander Spence, etc - and the less than perfect art that they make, as opposed to someone who's trying to replicate the kind of art they make because they think mental illness is hilarious.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 am

I can't lie though. I sort of like Hell of the Living Dead. But there is no excuse for this.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 am

Jinnistan wrote:Let me put it another way. It's like the difference between someone who's mentally ill - like a Daniel Johnston, Wesley Willis, Alexander Spence, etc - and the less than perfect art that they make, as opposed to someone who's trying to replicate the kind of art they make because they think mental illness is hilarious.
Yes. It's the honesty of the works creation that is the distinguishing factor. And that is everything.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm already laughing, because laughing first is totally appropriate here.
I did laugh a little when I thought of it. I'm not watching that shit tonight.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:45 am

I'll take the opportunity to scroll through some of my Prime watchlist and see if anyone has any recs.

Zombie Nightmare - I don't know why I'm still waiting, left over from October

Fade To Black - That's one vote from crumbsroom

Strasek the Vampire - Short and Serbian

Oily Maniac - Possible MKS vote

The Uninvited - Original Korean version

Mausoleum - A hit among others here this Oct.

The Mad Room - Sounds like Baby Jane with Shelly Winters

The Medusa's Touch - Another solid crumbs vote

Death Scream aka The Deadly Trap - The transfer here looks awful, but it's from Rene Clement, so it can't be that bad?

I also have the Ishii films that Tak and Rock mentioned, and a couple of actual good films (Cold War, Madeline's Madeline, Western)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:48 am

Jinnistan wrote:I'll take the opportunity to scroll through some of my Prime watchlist and see if anyone has any recs.

Zombie Nightmare - I don't know why I'm still waiting, left over from October

Fade To Black - That's one vote from crumbsroom

Strasek the Vampire - Short and Serbian

Oily Maniac - Possible MKS vote

The Uninvited - Original Korean version

The Mad Room - Sounds like Baby Jane with Shelly Winters

The Medusa's Touch - Another solid crumbs vote

Death Scream aka The Deadly Trap - The transfer here looks awful, but it's from Rene Clement, so it can't be that bad?

I also have the Ishii films that Tak and Rock mentioned, and a couple of actual good films (Cold War, Madeline's Madeline, Western)
Well my suggestions have already been covered.

Let me know how Uninvited goes, if it does indeed go. I've had a copy of that for about ten years and have just never felt inclination to watch it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:38 am

Jinnistan wrote:I'll take the opportunity to scroll through some of my Prime watchlist and see if anyone has any recs.

I'll just say again that this is a movie that somehow was much better than it should have been. I mean, a guy like me should have hated it, except I couldn't.

Oh wait, I'm just re-reading my write-up and I think I put it really well here (if I do say so myself):

"But we've talked a bit this month, in this thread and others, about learning over many, many years to let more things slide in the interest of enjoying a movie and what we're actually willing to give a pass in the horror genre if a movie really tried, if it came close, or even, in some cases, it totally fucking failed, but spectacularly.
Well, that skill we've all developed really helps with this movie, not because it sucks, because it will help you see how it doesn't.
Why am I not slamming this movie? Honestly, it's just not that fucking bad.
I found myself not only actually liking this movie, but kinda rooting for it, ya know? Like, 'Come on, baby, hold together, we only got 25 minutes to go, you can do it!'"
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Zombie Nightmare -Mean't to be a so bad it's good, i haven't seen it yet though

Fade To Black - That's two votes now :up:

The Uninvited - If you mean AKA A Tale of Two Sisters it's 10/10. if you mean 4 inyong shiktak 2003 film i didn't like it at all :down:

Mausoleum - Classic 80's cheesey one :up:

The Medusa's Touch - Meh!

Death Scream aka The Deadly Trap - Classic 80's cheesey one :up:
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 am

Zombie Nightmare I've only seen through MST3K, but of the nightmare-themed films starring Jon Mikl Thor, it's easily inferior to Rock'n'Roll Nightmare.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 am

Rumpled wrote:The Uninvited - If you mean AKA A Tale of Two Sisters it's 10/10. if you mean 4 inyong shiktak 2003 film i didn't like it at all :down:
It's the latter, although, strangely, I haven't seen the American version of Uninvited but I assumed it was a remake of this rather than Two Sisters.
Rumpled wrote:Death Scream aka The Deadly Trap - Classic 80's cheesey one :up:
This one is from 1971 actually, but I think there is another Death Scream from the 80s.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Anybody have any feelings on Nightmare (1981)?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 am

Jinnistan wrote: It's the latter, although, strangely, I haven't seen the American version of Uninvited but I assumed it was a remake of this rather than Two Sisters.

It's a remake of a tale of two sisters
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 am

Rumpled wrote:a remake of a tale of two sisters
Why? Why would someone do such a thing?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

Can I assume you guys are not talking about this one:

And are, in fact, talking about the 2009 film with Elizabeth Banks? In which case, that one didn't do much for me.
I actually saw it BEFORE I saw A Tale Of Two Sisters and did not even relate the two films when I saw the later. This discussion is the first time it's ever crossed my mind.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 am

Wooley wrote:Image
This one is good. I like this one.
____
Blog!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am

Wooley wrote:Anybody have any feelings on Nightmare (1981)?
AKA Nightmares in a Damaged Brain it's a video nasty classic but mainly for the amount of gore

Nightmares (1980) now thats a goodie :up: oh and Nightmare (1964) ;)
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 am

Wooley wrote:Can I assume you guys are not talking about this one:

Now on blu-ray ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Rumpled wrote:
AKA Nightmares in a Damaged Brain it's a video nasty classic but mainly for the amount of gore

Nightmares (1980) now thats a goodie :up: oh and Nightmare (1964) ;)
I know the '64 one, now I'm wondering if I meant NiaDB or Nightmares, I'll have to check it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 pm

I'm watching a movie that I thought was just dumb. And then it did some things well and I was like, "Oh, so now I have to take you seriously now?".

Will update when done.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 am

Well, there was about 20 minutes of potential in Night Wars, but that was sandwiched by ridiculousness. I did a fuller write-up over in Thief's thread.

The film is about two men who begin having vivid dreams about their time in Vietnam, to the point that the dreams and reality begin to blur. I liked some of the editing and one or two neat camera tricks, but ultimately that can't rescue the movie from sloppiness in the third act.

Also, there's a bizarre sequence where one of the main character's wives is (SPOILER)
stabbed to death (and possibly also raped) by a villain from the nightmares, and when he is told about this ("Suzanne is dead"), he just, like, *sighs*. And they don't talk about it ever again in the whole film.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:27 am

The Wizard of Gore

The villain, Montag the Magnificent, speaks of the thrills offered by sights of torture and terror before performing his gruesome magic act, and in a way, sums up the cynical appeal of this very movie, which is notable for blood and guts and little else. Herschell Gordon Lewis is arguably the first splatter filmmaker, but he seems to have left things like tension and energy for his successors in the genre both in his homeland and abroad. The gore effects are graphic but not exactly convincing, the result of a low budget and slapdash production. Montag, seen with bad skin and even worse facial hair, lacks in fearsomeness or even anything resembling charisma, and Ray Sager’s stiff performance makes one miss the unintentionally comical body language of Mal Arnold’s Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast, who was similarly nonthreatening but at least had a distinct presence. Indeed, the movie is most interesting not for its violent content or place in the horror genre, but for its almost perverse commitment to being as banal as possible. It lacks even the rudimentary visual signatures of Blood Feast and Two Thousand Maniacs! and the gore scenes, which should be the highlight of the film, are assembled with the same indifference as the rest of the film, with only the sexy swingin’ sounds on the soundtrack having any semblance of enthusiasm. Periodically it achieves a trance-like effect evoking the hypnosis of the villain’s victims, but more often the annoyance felt by the wet blanket boyfriend of the heroine captures the energy of the proceedings. This all concludes with about the worst attempt at pulling the rug out from under the audience I can remember, but it at least provides some comedy value to spice up the otherwise lethargic proceedings.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 am

Rock wrote:
The Wizard of Gore

The villain, Montag the Magnificent, speaks of the thrills offered by sights of torture and terror before performing his gruesome magic act, and in a way, sums up the cynical appeal of this very movie, which is notable for blood and guts and little else. Herschell Gordon Lewis is arguably the first splatter filmmaker, but he seems to have left things like tension and energy for his successors in the genre both in his homeland and abroad. The gore effects are graphic but not exactly convincing, the result of a low budget and slapdash production. Montag, seen with bad skin and even worse facial hair, lacks in fearsomeness or even anything resembling charisma, and Ray Sager’s stiff performance makes one miss the unintentionally comical body language of Mal Arnold’s Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast, who was similarly nonthreatening but at least had a distinct presence. Indeed, the movie is most interesting not for its violent content or place in the horror genre, but for its almost perverse commitment to being as banal as possible. It lacks even the rudimentary visual signatures of Blood Feast and Two Thousand Maniacs! and the gore scenes, which should be the highlight of the film, are assembled with the same indifference as the rest of the film, with only the sexy swingin’ sounds on the soundtrack having any semblance of enthusiasm. Periodically it achieves a trance-like effect evoking the hypnosis of the villain’s victims, but more often the annoyance felt by the wet blanket boyfriend of the heroine captures the energy of the proceedings. This all concludes with about the worst attempt at pulling the rug out from under the audience I can remember, but it at least provides some comedy value to spice up the otherwise lethargic proceedings.
It's his best movie. But pretty much everything you write here is true.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 am

Eh, Two Thousand Maniacs! I think is a reasonably effective horror movie, and Blood Feast is at least made with some conviction. I'd put them well above this one. Haven't seen anything else by him, although I suppose I'll eventually get to The Gore Gore Girls and Color Me Blood Red because I never learn.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 am

Rock wrote:Eh, Two Thousand Maniacs! I think is a reasonably effective horror movie, and Blood Feast is at least made with some conviction. I'd put them well above this one. Haven't seen anything else by him, although I suppose I'll eventually get to The Gore Gore Girls and Color Me Blood Red because I never learn.
Blood Feast is definitely the most 'fun' of any of his movies. Wizard of Gore is the only one that legitimately confused me though. Deeply confused me. I don't enjoy many things more than having to watch a movie a couple of times to really understand how little sense it makes.

Gore Gore Girls is okay (?).

As for Blood Red, my long standing opinion on it should be heeded. Don't.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 am

I'm in love with the premise of Wizard of Gore. I half-watched it last year during Rumpled's gif contest, and loved the concept but found the vibe weirdly lacking in energy or momentum.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:06 am

A Reflection of Fear (1973, dir. William Fraker) - 7/10

This is a good film to appreciate the late Sondra Locke, who finds her lane as a psychotic child. The film itself is also not too bad, with Locke as a disturbed girl who has been sheltered by her repressive mother. Robert Shaw plays the absent but reconciling father and Sally Kellerman plays his new fiance, a more sexually liberated presence. All of the Freudianisms are terribly on-the-nose, and the climax is a wet fart of a twist, but for the most part the actors are able to keep compelling.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 am

Rock, I think Gore Gore Girls is more your kind of HGL flick. It's not boring like the majority of his flicks seem to be. Stay FAR away from Color Me Blood Red. Worthless film, that one is.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Jigsaw (2017) - 3/10
Exhausting is the best word I can think of to describe the Saw franchise. Gory traps which, more often than not, start to feel less interesting about 2/3 of the way into a film, forgettable and uninteresting characters whose personalities appear to be lifted from past characters from previous films, and twist endings which not only feel inferior to the brilliant one in the original, but strangely feel predictable given that they're a staple of the franchise. Any scene/aspect I like in the franchise gets lost in the sea of aspects which do nothing for me. I wasn't that interested in seeing any other Saw films after 3D, but since a couple of my friends wanted to see this one, I decided to give it a go. I don't know if any more Saw films will be released in the future, but if so, I don't think I'll be seeing any of them. It's time to put this tired franchise to rest.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Jinnistan wrote:A Reflection of Fear (1973, dir. William Fraker) - 7/10

This is a good film to appreciate the late Sondra Locke, who finds her lane as a psychotic child. The film itself is also not too bad, with Locke as a disturbed girl who has been sheltered by her repressive mother. Robert Shaw plays the absent but reconciling father and Sally Kellerman plays his new fiance, a more sexually liberated presence. All of the Freudianisms are terribly on-the-nose, and the climax is a wet fart of a twist, but for the most part the actors are able to keep compelling.
If i remember correctly the climax is that she has a willy
:P
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

Rumpled wrote:
If i remember correctly the climax is that she has a willy
:P
Basically, yeah. They seemed like they were about to actually show the willy, but then the camera frame froze because of the unfathomable evil. *wet fart*
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 am

Guys-I have a new favorite film, and that film is DEATH CAR ON THE FREEWAY.

This is a made-for-TV film from 1979, directed by Hal "Smokey and the Bandit" Needham. Check out this 70s-TV-star-studded cast: Shelly Hack, Abe Vigoda, Frank Gorshin, Dinah Shore, Peter Graves, Sid Haig, Morgan Brittany, George Hamilton, Harriet Nelson, and that one guy from Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

The highways of LA are being terrorized by The Freeway Fiddler, a serial killer of sorts with the most specific MO in history- he only kills attractive women who are driving aggressively in some way, like cutting in front of him for example. He kills them by running them off the highway in his van. Why is he called the Freeway Fiddler, you ask? Because whenever he spots a potential victim he pops in an 8-track of demonic electric fiddle music that sounds like a cross between Jean Luc-Ponty and Charlie Daniels. (Did I mention this is my new favorite movie?)

This actually plays out like a giallo-on-wheels (hear me out). The victims are all pretty ladies. The killer's identity is hidden, and the only thing we see are his hands on the steering wheel or his foot on the gas pedal. Whenever he selects a new victim, he puts on a pair of black gloves. (this little quirk of his is given no explanation). And the aggressive fiddle music acts as sort of a Goblin substitute. One of the reviews on Letterboxd also mentions the giallo similarities, so I guess I'm not completely off-base here. Whether or not Hal Needham even knows what giallo is would be speculation on my part.

There's also a bit of a feminist slant here. There's much discussion of the killer's need to punish "assertive" women drivers. And there's Shelly Hack as the reporter who's on the case, and who is constantly trying to prove herself to her domineering husband and male superiors. There's also some criticism of the macho language used to market vehicles to men. Some of this gets pretty heavy-handed, but it at least adds a bit of depth to the proceedings. I dug it.

So this isn't something I'd recommend willy-nilly to just anybody but it checks a very specific set of boxes for me, as someone with an affection for 70s TV movies as well as car chases and stunts. This is a Needham picture after all, so the highway stuff is pretty great and the movie ends with a spectacular stunt that is frickin' gorgeous. Makes me wish he'd made more "serious" films in addition to his comedies.

Bonus trivia:
Needham has a cameo here as a driving instructor. One of the services he offers is an "Anti-terrorist" course in which he teaches women how to escape murderous psychopaths. (How fortuitous!) Anywho, he's wearing the same Firebird jacket that Burt Reynolds wears in Hooper.
ImageImage
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 am

You told me a lot but not how I can watched this and get fiddled myself.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:30 am

Prepare to be fiddled:

DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 am

John Carpenter Presents Body Bags

Ehh, not so much. The middle chapter where Stacy Keach doesn't wanna go bald is good for some chuckles. The first segment had some decent moments but played predictable (and didn't find the energy to warm up its cold, old ideas). The last segment, directed by Tobe Hooper, is just... no thanks.

By the way, is Tobe Hooper a good director? I don't know. I don't think so. I tend to think that the original TCM is a fluke, and the man doesn't really know what he's doing, and his directing style tends to be loud, garish, and unpleasant. Which, I get if you're chasing idiosyncratic directors, sure, go for it, but I don't much enjoy experiencing those sensations. Props for doing your own thing, Tobe, but I don't think we should pair up on the dance floor. What I've seen of his work includes:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Loved it.
'salem's Lot - Some good bits but dull overall.
The Funhouse - Some good bits but dull overall.
Poltergeist - Fantastic, but this does not feel like Hooper directed it.
Lifeforce - Some good bits but dull overall.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II - Hated it.
The Mangler - Hated it.
Dance of the Dead - Hated it.
The Damned Thing - Not too bad.

Weirdly, Kiyoshi Kurosawa is a big fan of Hooper, which I would never have guessed.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:13 am

Eaten Alive is worth a watch. It's basically Rob Zombie before Rob Zombie, if that sounds up your alley.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 grew on me with rewatches (its abrasive sense of humour took some getting used to), although I still think it's missing a second act.

I'm interested in Djinn and The Toolbox Murders, even if their IMDb scores aren't terribly encouraging. The latter is a remake of one of the more ambitious (if not necessarily better) slashers around.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 am

DaMU wrote:By the way, is Tobe Hooper a good director?
You can't fluke something as perfect as Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He was a great director once. And that's how I will remember him.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Prepare to be fiddled:

I loved this... some of the car stuff was insane :) Super hard to find a decent copy though
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Rumpled wrote:

I loved this... some of the car stuff was insane :) Super hard to find a decent copy though
Yes, the stunts were definitely above and beyond the usual TV fare of the day.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 am

Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 pm

The House That Jack Built (2018) - 5/10

This film is largely about von Trier himself. Controversies about how von Trier treats women in his films has been brought to attention in the past. This film appears to be a response to those accusations. The first four of the five incidents are primarily focused with killing women. Certain ways he handles those scenes such as having one of his female victims come off as disagreeable and insulting or remarking "Why is it always the man's fault?" (implying that the women were asking for it) seem highly questionable at first glance. One could call this film misogynistic, but the fifth incident serves as a counter point to that criticism. If the film is misogynistic, how can you explain the addition of the final act? Personally, I don't think this film goes too far, neither in its portrayal of its violence nor its implications regarding the nature of the killings. Rather, my issue with this film is how its less focused on the characters and more so on von Trier himself. Jack isn't a particularly interesting or memorable character, because he feels less like a real person and more so like a piece of evidence von Trier's trying to use to defend himself from backlash. Many characters feel this way. Certain banal scenes such as Jack explaining to Verge how he kills men and women equally does nothing but scream von Trier. I'm not a fan of using yourself as the subject matter of your films, because, while it's certainly unique, it can also indicate a lack of other various crucial story elements which can either make or break the film depending on who's watching it. I don't think this film is without its strengths though, because I think the final 20 minutes are actually pretty interesting. Also, in addition to some cool technical aspects, the cinematography is quite excellent. As a whole, however, this film is pretty underwhelming.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Rumpled wrote:

Nightmares (1980) now thats a goodie :up:

Hell yeah.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.