Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I was in the edge of disliking Blood For Dracula but that ending won me over. It's still a bit of a bore but the central premise of Dracula not being able to find virgins and progressively getting weaker and less threatening throughout the film is amusing.
There is nothing boring about a film filled with scenes of topless women sulking about prudish Italian society, Marxist handymen sulking about the bourgeoisie and Dracula sulking because he's hungry.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:22 am

crumbsroom wrote:
There is nothing boring about a film filled with scenes of topless women sulking about prudish Italian society, Marxist handymen sulking about the bourgeoisie and Dracula sulking because he's hungry.
There shouldn't be anything boring about that... And yet...
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:22 am

A man
"saving" a 14 year old girl by raping her
is literally the plot of the abduction documentary I just finished watching.

So for now I think Morrisey's variation on the theme is a pass for me.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 am

Takoma1 wrote: the idea that someone would essentially
"sell" the rape of their child so that no one would find out about a few makeout sessions and a handjob
blows my mind.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier. Everything that's wrong with religion can be illustrated by the idea that doing a gay thing is worse than handing your daughter to a rapist on a silver platter.
Takoma1 wrote:My god.
"The dogs are fine. Susan's still home. Karen's not blind. Dad's not dead."
This is so depressing. This poor woman.
And turning my anger towards the rapist for a sec- the whole
alien thing is one of the most insidious things I've come across. The repeated rapes weren't enough, he also had to ensure that she'd be terrified literally every waking hour that he wasn't around.
Hard to judge from these interviews of course, but the now-adult victim seems remarkably well-adjusted given her past. I'm choosing to believe that's the case because it's unbearable otherwise.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: There shouldn't be anything boring about that... And yet...
:x

This will not stand.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:26 am

Rock wrote: :x

This will not stand.
Get this...

I liked Flesh for Frankenstein more
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:27 am

I'm with you.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:03 am

Captain Terror wrote:And turning my anger towards the rapist for a sec- the whole
alien thing is one of the most insidious things I've come across. The repeated rapes weren't enough, he also had to ensure that she'd be terrified literally every waking hour that he wasn't around.
Hard to judge from these interviews of course, but the now-adult victim seems remarkably well-adjusted given her past. I'm choosing to believe that's the case because it's unbearable otherwise.
Well, a lot of
sexual abusers are insidious in this way. They tell stories (usually not aliens, obviously) that are designed to make their victims fearful of telling and many times even try to make the victim think of them as an "ally". He put her in a situation where she had to save her family, and in doing so also made himself the only means to do so.
So upsetting.

I think that she seems like someone who has done a lot of work to process and work through what happened to her. I don't know about well-adjusted. She's articulate and a strong person, to be sure. But after going through betrayal at the hands of your family and someone you "loved", how could you ever feel normal in a sexual or romantic relationship? How could you get yourself back to a place of trust?

The fact that SHE seems to be bearing the burden of making her parents feel better made me pretty angry. Like when they talk about her telling the abuse and all anyone can talk about is how HARD the parents were taking it and how much they BLAMED themselves. Um, yeah. You handed your daughter to a pedophile on a platter. Heart-rending guilt is, believe it or not, the appropriate response. I would actually worry that she might suppress some of her emotions so as not to further upset her parents.

Again, this has so many echoes of the book about the doctor in Lovell.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 am

The pathos, the horror and the humor of the movie are all rooted directly in a world that we know from legend was once one of mystery, beauty, death, sex and romance, and is now shrunk to an existence of staying inside all day long, digestion problems, having run out of anything to say beyond petty grievances and painting your hair in a mirror that doesn't cast your reflection. Blood for Dracula is exactly the amount of 'boring' that it should be. Thankfully though, this dismal and morbidly dull world the Count has become trapped in is simultaneously full of pathos and hilarity. If it wasn't for the existence of What We Do In Shadows, it would be the only other hysterically funny vampire movie in existence. We don't even need to get to the lack of wurgens in this damned modern world to extol the films virtues.

The one two punch of Blood of Dracula and Martin are honestly everything I need to take away from the entire history of vampire films.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 am

Rock wrote: :x

This will not stand.
We can only hope he will one day look upon this day with shame.

EDIT: Oh, wait. He preferred Flesh for Frankenstein. There is no hope!
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 am

Flesh for Frankenstein is entertaining, but anytime it really starts working for me, it seems to step back so as to keep itself at a distance from the proceedings. Blood for Dracula is equally lurid and ridiculous in concept, but commits to the material much more strongly and manages to wring poignancy out of material that shouldn't inspire it.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 am

Rock wrote:Flesh for Frankenstein is entertaining, but anytime it really starts working for me, it seems to step back so as to keep itself at a distance from the proceedings. Blood for Dracula is equally lurid and ridiculous in conception, but commits to the material much more strongly and manages to ring poignancy out of material that shouldn't inspire it.
I like the ideas behind Flesh for Frankenstein, they are similarly great as the ones behind Blood, but I think it has the misguided problem of placing much of the necessary pathos of the film on the not so great talents of the man who plays the Frankenstein's monster. Compared to the emotional center of Blood (Keir), it is a movie I find very difficult to have any strong feelings for, especially when I start remembering the despondent look the Count gives into the blood soiled tub he just vomited up his meal into. Both funny and painfully tragic. It is a moment that can sum up the essence of the entire film. Those moments of inspiration should have been possible in the ideas behind Frankenstein's Monster too, but there is nothing there about the character or the way he is performed for me to hold onto. He literally just mopes.

It's definitely a decent movie. But it's never really felt like much more than that to me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I like the ideas behind Flesh for Frankenstein, they are similarly great as the ones behind Blood, but I think it has the misguided problem of placing much of the necessary pathos of the film on the not so great talents of the man who plays the Frankenstein's monster. Compared to the emotional center of Blood (Keir), it is a movie I find very difficult to have any strong feelings for, especially when I start remembering the despondent look the Count gives into the blood soiled tub he just vomited up his meal into. Both funny and painfully tragic. It is a moment that can sum up the essence of the entire film. Those moments of inspiration should have been possible in the ideas behind Frankenstein's Monster too, but there is nothing there about the character or the way he is performed for me to hold onto. He literally just mopes.

It's definitely a decent movie. But it's never really felt like much more than that to me.
Frankenstein fucks the wound of his female zombie then announced "in order to love dearh, you must fuck life... In it's gallbladder!!!"

All your arguments are moot.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Frankenstein fucks the wound of his female zombie then announced "in order to love dearh, you must fuck life... In it's gallbladder!!!"

There are dozens of great lines in Flesh. I would never think to take any of those away from it. There are also a bunch of singularly great moments. But while I enjoy what this film is going for (with mixed results), I feel what Blood does (to near perfection).

I'd be more than happy to get there with Flesh as well, which is why I'm rewatching it as we speak. But so far, it's just never yet got to that point for me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 am

crumbsroom wrote:
There are dozens of great lines in Flesh. I would never think to take any of those away from it. There are also a bunch of singularly great moments. But while I enjoy what this film is going for (with mixed results), I feel what Blood does (to near perfection).

I'd be more than happy to get there with Flesh as well, which is why I'm rewatching it as we speak. But so far, it's just never yet got to that point for me.
Have they chopped tbe dude’s head off yet?
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:59 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

You act like you never saw the Roman Polanski chestnut game scene.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 am

Rock wrote: You act like you never saw the Roman Polanski chestnut game scene.
Was Roman Polanski fucking life in it's gallbladder?

I see no way this conversation will go off the rails.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Have they chopped tbe dude’s head off yet?
I'm already well past the gallbladder.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Was Roman Polanski fucking life in it's gallbladder?

I feel like the gallbladder and your Blood for Dracula opinions are Frankenstein.

Everybody else is Otto.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:12 am

Rock wrote: I feel like the gallbladder and your Blood for Dracula opinions are Frankenstein.

Everybody else is Otto.
Otto likes to watch.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Was Roman Polanski fucking life in it's gallbladder?

Drugging a gallbladder takes all of the life out of it. Polanski doesn't have the stones.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Well, a lot of
sexual abusers are insidious in this way. They tell stories (usually not aliens, obviously) that are designed to make their victims fearful of telling and many times even try to make the victim think of them as an "ally". He put her in a situation where she had to save her family, and in doing so also made himself the only means to do so.
Right, there's always the
"tell anyone and your parents will divorce" type of bullying that goes along with it but I just meant this one went above and beyond. "Here's audio proof that a belligerent alien race exists and knows where you live". This guy was a piece of work.
And yeah, "well-adjusted" probably wasn't the best choice of words. I guess what I meant was it's a miracle she's at all functional.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 pm

Blood and Lace was kind of uneven, but saved by the simple multitude of sub-plots and its bonkers, darkly funny ending.

The film (not to be confused with Blood and Black Lace) follows a young woman named Ellie, whose mother--the town prostitute--has been brutally murdered alongside a customer by an unseen killer with a hammer.

Ellie's sketchy social worker has her remanded to an orphan's home, run by the shady Mrs. Deere and her equally shady handyman Tom. The two have no compunction about murdering their teenage clientele at the hint of running away, heaping abuse on the children while pulling in state money for their care. Also in the mix is a detective, Calvin, who knew Ellie as a child and is on the hunt for the killer.

The film has kind of a low energy vibe to it, but the sheer momentum of all of the subplots keep it chugging along. Ellie wants to escape the home. Ellie needs to avoid being murdered by Mrs. Deere. Ellie needs to get away from the mysterious hammer-wielding maniac who seems to have followed her to the home. Ellie needs to marshal support from the other abused teens, some of whom dislike her and one of whom just sees himself as more of a romantic prospect.

It's all okay, with a pretty predictable series of reveals in the final act. However, the very end is much zanier than I would have ever expected and the sick absurdity of it all makes this film far more memorable than it deserves to be.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 pm

I think it is a crime, like someone should actually be taken away in handcuffs, that Toni Collette was not even nominated for Best Actress.
That was one of the best performances I've seen in years. Startling performance, one for the ages.
Terrible failure, again, Academy.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:29 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm already well past the gallbladder.
Flesh for Frankenstein is, ultimately, probably just as funny as Dracula. But it still isn't quite at the same level for me. My Dracula love is obviously hyperbolic at 10/10. But Frankenstein is slowly getting there. It may have just inched up to an 8/10, which isn't too shabby. But, its comparative lack of heart still diminishes it. It is a flaw I can't see it ever quite overcoming, even if Flesh's spectacle and absurdity is probably larger and weirder than Blood.

Over the years my opinions on both of these movies have changed significantly. My initial experience with them, being forced to rent them from a video store by my still in the closet friend (at the time) because he was secretly craving the sight of Joe Dallesandro's cock, was not so good. I thought they were both dull and long winded and each seemed to be much too European for my tastes at the time. I hated pouting. But even though it wasn't my thing, I would watch them both semi regularly on my old washed out VHS dubs out of a morbid curiosity that always drew me back, but never brought me anywhere close to liking them more. My memory of them became tied to fuzzy, washed-out color images, bored summer afternoons, scrambling for excuses for what I was watching when my grandmother stepped into the family room to assess my misbehavior and, yes, Joe Dallesadro's cock. It wasn't my scene and thoughts back upon them usually were accompanied the kind of headaches I'd give myself by force feeding myself movies I didn't really even want to watch.

The Criterion release of Blood for Dracula though would be the turning point. With color and the image restored, and having developed a more worldy sensibility that could now appreciate Udo Kier, I fell in love with it. It's now one of those films I can put on at almost any time and it makes the world brighter and weirder and funnier. My initial reappraisal for Frankenstein, though improved, unfortunately never to this seismic degree. It still seemed dull. I don't think it had that emotional entry point that Dracula allowed me to find something beautiful about it. And, frankly, this viewing didn't help much with that either. But it has significantly bettered it. I now can see the tragedy of Dr. Frankenstein's failed experiment as at least his tragedy, even his failure is not as relatable to the audience as that of a vampire and his failing body and growing uncoolness and unfuckability as he ages. But I can see now why it would be more compelling for others who grow frustrated with Dracula's measured pace. It is over stuffed with camp and violence and deliberate offensives nonsense that it is more loveable in that regard. And Otto's eyes have never performed better.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Takoma1 wrote:The Hatred

To begin: there are two movies with this title on Amazon. I am talking about the 2018 film that is 59 minutes long.

At last, I am free of my run of dreadful low-budget horror/thrillers!

I mostly have really nice things to say about this short film, which really took me by surprise.

The film tells the story of a girl whose family is unlucky enough to fall into the murderous path of a band of lost and starving Civil War soldiers. The soldiers come to the house asking for food. Unhappy with what they are given, they take a vote on whether to go back to the house and take what they want. The two soldiers who do not vote yes are killed--one shot in the head and the other hanged. The main character is out of the house collecting firewood and returns to find her sisters dead in the home. Dressed in her dead father's clothing (and looking a little like a half-hearted Babadook cosplay, just sayin') and armed with her father's guns, she set out into the woods where she comes across the hanged man. Her hatred and her prayers mix into something supernatural and the dead soldier comes back to life. United by a desire for vengeance, the pair tracks the group of soldiers.

Just to get them out of the way, here were the criticisms I had of the film. First, much of the story is told via voice-over from the main character as she is being interviewed at some future time having been taken into custody, and the writing gets a little woo-woo and abstract at times. The actress delivers her lines in a creepy not-quite-monotone, but after a while line after line of "Their callousness burned a trail. They were floating in their own deceit. It is the peril of wicked men to think themselves safe," it started to feel like a bit much. Some of the text sounded ominous, but I was like, "What . . . does that even mean?". Also, there's a lot of electronically distorted music as the soundtrack. Mostly it was fine, but a few times they cranked it up just too much for my taste.

But now: the good stuff!

To begin with, I am grateful that the John Law, who made this film (he wrote, directed, edited, composed, and stars as the resurrected soldier) kept it to an hour. So many movies pad their run time to be considered "feature length", and I think this film would have really suffered. Across the board the acting is pretty good. Some are stronger than others, but the central performances are all fine to pretty good, and the actress at the center of the film holds her own pretty well.

The scenery is pretty amazing, with towering trees and a snowy landscape that looks cold and barren. I read in the trivia section that all of the lighting was natural lighting. I believe it, and it looked good.

Mostly, though, this film had a lot of scary, haunting touches that I really liked. When the girl returns to find her sisters slaughtered, she notes "I never did find my mother". Later, when the man is interviewing her, he says some borderline creepy stuff ("I have a granddaughter your age. . . I do have a particular inclination towards those of the female persuasion") and she looks over at a young soldier who is on guard duty. Instead of leering at her to drive home the implicit threat, he looks away, and it's so much more frightening. The film turns on this theme of people doing wicked things or sitting back and letting wicked things happen. There are also just some really cool shots, like someone splitting wood and as the pieces fall apart you see figures appear in the newly empty space. Or when the girl retrieves her father's guns from atop a cabinet, and her hands groping for them are very evocative of a small child trying to reach something on a table or a counter top--just really driving home how young she is. A drop of blood sliding down a body soon after mirrored by a falling tear.

The kills are decent and disturbing. The film takes a more minimal approach to most of them, which is good because bad effects are really distracting.

Also, frankly, this movie earns a whole point for being a revenge story starring a female character and not being about rape.

Just generally I thought that this was a really strong effort. When you look at the credits, the actors and actresses themselves apparently did a chunk of the filming. I was very impressed by it.
This was indeed very good, I owe you one!
Came back here to read your thoughts and you've pretty much said everything I was going to say. The overly-florid narration from a rural 19th Century teenager was my only real complaint but it fits the mood of the piece, so it's fine. (Actually, I found the interrogator guy kind of weak, come to think of it. His performance struck me as being the most amateurish.)
My number one takeaway is the gorgeous cinematography. The Lil' Babadook outfit makes for a nice silhouette against the snowscape, and they made good use of that. Some of the violence managed to make me squirm despite the fact that it usually wasn't happening on-screen, so well done there. I'm a big fan of short-form horror so this one hit the spot nicely.

Although I gotta say, the fact that this isn't listed on Letterboxd has plunged my overly-organized brain into quite a dither. I mean, if I can't log it did I even watch it??
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 pm

Captain Terror wrote:This was indeed very good, I owe you one!
Came back here to read your thoughts and you've pretty much said everything I was going to say. The overly-florid narration from a rural 19th Century teenager was my only real complaint but it fits the mood of the piece, so it's fine. (Actually, I found the interrogator guy kind of weak, come to think of it. His performance struck me as being the most amateurish.)
My number one takeaway is the gorgeous cinematography. The Lil' Babadook outfit makes for a nice silhouette against the snowscape, and they made good use of that. Some of the violence managed to make me squirm despite the fact that it usually wasn't happening on-screen, so well done there. I'm a big fan of short-form horror so this one hit the spot nicely.

Although I gotta say, the fact that this isn't listed on Letterboxd has plunged my overly-organized brain into quite a dither. I mean, if I can't log it did I even watch it??
Yeah, I think that the film looks gorgeous. Whatever they invested in equipment was well worth it, because so many low-budget films look like they were directed on someone's dad's camcorder and the cheap look is so hard to overcome.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:43 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Flesh for Frankenstein is, ultimately, probably just as funny as Dracula. But it still isn't quite at the same level for me. My Dracula love is obviously hyperbolic at 10/10. But Frankenstein is slowly getting there. It may have just inched up to an 8/10, which isn't too shabby. But, its comparative lack of heart still diminishes it. It is a flaw I can't see it ever quite overcoming, even if Flesh's spectacle and absurdity is probably larger and weirder than Blood.

Over the years my opinions on both of these movies have changed significantly. My initial experience with them, being forced to rent them from a video store by my still in the closet friend (at the time) because he was secretly craving the sight of Joe Dallesandro's cock, was not so good. I thought they were both dull and long winded and each seemed to be much too European for my tastes at the time. I hated pouting. But even though it wasn't my thing, I would watch them both semi regularly on my old washed out VHS dubs out of a morbid curiosity that always drew me back, but never brought me anywhere close to liking them more. My memory of them became tied to fuzzy, washed-out color images, bored summer afternoons, scrambling for excuses for what I was watching when my grandmother stepped into the family room to assess my misbehavior and, yes, Joe Dallesadro's cock. It wasn't my scene and thoughts back upon them usually were accompanied the kind of headaches I'd give myself by force feeding myself movies I didn't really even want to watch.

The Criterion release of Blood for Dracula though would be the turning point. With color and the image restored, and a more worldy sensibility that could now appreciate Udo Kier, I fell in love with it. It's now one of those films I can put on at almost any time and it makes the world brighter and weirder and funnier. My initial reappraisal for Frankenstein, though improved, unfortunately never to this seismic degree. It still seemed dull. I don't think it had that emotional entry point that Dracula allowed me to find something beautiful about it. And, frankly, this viewing didn't help much with that either. But it has significantly bettered it. I now can see the tragedy of Dr. Frankenstein's failed experiment as at least his tragedy, even his failure is not as relatable to the audience as that of a vampire and his failing body and growing uncoolness and unfuckability as he ages. But I can see now why it would be more compelling for others who grow frustrated with Dracula's measured pace. It is over stuffed with camp and violence and deliberate offensives nonsense that it is more loveable in that regard. And Otto's eyes have never performed better.
Soon his eyes and yours will know my truth.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Yeah, I think that the film looks gorgeous. Whatever they invested in equipment was well worth it, because so many low-budget films look like they were directed on someone's dad's camcorder and the cheap look is so hard to overcome.
Also, the closing credits were charmingly folksy. "Thanks to Freddie for the delicious coffee!"
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Soon his eyes and yours will know my truth.
I couldn't possibly rewatch these movies enough times to make that happen.

But I can try.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 am

Wooley wrote:I think it is a crime, like someone should actually be taken away in handcuffs, that Toni Collette was not even nominated for Best Actress.
That was one of the best performances I've seen in years. Startling performance, one for the ages.
Terrible failure, again, Academy.
While I still stand by my earlier assertion that Collette wouldn't deserve to actually get the Best Actress Oscar due to the misuse of her performance by the film (one of a number of issues that held it back on the whole), it was an absolutely convincing portrayal on her part otherwise, so she totally did deserve a nomination at least, and her snub only continues to hammer home the Academy's continuing bias againt Horror/"genre" fare in general; her reactions in this scene alone should've earned her a nom in a just world, eh?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 am

Stu wrote:While I still stand by my earlier assertion that Collette wouldn't deserve to actually get the Best Actress Oscar due to the misuse of her performance by the film (one of a number of issues that held it back on the whole), it was an absolutely convincing portrayal on her part otherwise, so she totally did deserve a nomination at least, and her snub only continues to hammer home the Academy's continuing bias againt Horror/"genre" fare in general; her reactions in this scene alone should've earned her a nom in a just world, eh?
Elaborate please
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Elaborate please
Like I wrote in the post I linked to, as the second half of Hereditary devolved into a tiresome series of Horror cliches, Collette's performance (along with Wolff's, so that's two for the price of one) also had to devolve into a lot of non-stop crying, screaming, and general hysterics, which made her portrayal of Annie lose a lot of its potency due to the nature of its sheer, repetitive over-the-top-ness. It's not an issue of her choosing to chew the scenery on her own behest, as she was just matching her performance to the overall tone of the film (I assume) at Ari Aster's direction, but it still ended up rendering Collette far, far less effective than she should've been, and it's a shame a more disciplined filmmaker couldn't have put her to better use (like, say, a Sixth Sense-circa M. Knight), because as her performance in the film stands now, at a certain point it mostly just becomes a endless series of ridiculous, Jim Carrey-level facial contortions, to be honest.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Backwoods

Why was this in my IMDb watchlist?

I don't know.

Why did I watch it all the way through?

I don't know. (Yes I do *cough* OCD *cough*)

Anyway, this is like if someone took the concept of Severance and was like, "But what if we made it and it was . . . bad?".

A group of corporate folks out for a paintball excursion are taken captive by a bunch of backwoods monsters are after the WIMMEN!!

Really, the series is a progression of gang rapes against the various female characters. There's nothing noteworthy or good about it. Ryan Merriman (who I remember from his youth when he was on The Pretender) was a hair better than the actors you typically get in these films.

I do not regret reading Drag Race gossip through much of its runtime.

However: I have just started a much more promising film: Burn, Witch, Burn. Non-spoilery thoughts?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Takoma1 wrote:Backwoods

Why was this in my IMDb watchlist?

I don't know.

Why did I watch it all the way through?

I don't know. (Yes I do *cough* OCD *cough*)

Anyway, this is like if someone took the concept of Severance and was like, "But what if we made it and it was . . . bad?".

A group of corporate folks out for a paintball excursion are taken captive by a bunch of backwoods monsters are after the WIMMEN!!

Really, the series is a progression of gang rapes against the various female characters. There's nothing noteworthy or good about it. Ryan Merriman (who I remember from his youth when he was on The Pretender) was a hair better than the actors you typically get in these films.

I do not regret reading Drag Race gossip through much of its runtime.

However: I have just started a much more promising film: Burn, Witch, Burn. Non-spoilery thoughts?
Is that the Backwoods starring horror legend Haylie Duff? :)
I'm a fan of BWB, but that's hardly a guarantee of quality.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Is that the Backwoods starring horror legend Haylie Duff? :)
I'm a fan of BWB, but that's hardly a guarantee of quality.
Yup, and she's the least of the film's problems.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 am

I can tell that I'll have a lot to say about Burn, Witch, Burn. But for now I'll just note that I think that it's hilarious that immediately after berating his wife for her superstitions and
making her burn all of her charms, he is immediately almost run down by a van, accused of rape, and menaced with a gun.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:24 am

So, Burn Witch Burn was pretty great.

For those who haven't seen it, it follows a professor who discovers that his wife is practicing witchcraft. She says that it's to protect him, which he dismisses as silly (and womanly superstition) and makes her stop and burn all of her charms. And then things get . . . interesting.

I thought that the strength of this film was two-fold. First: I really liked the way that it portrayed Tansy, the wife. In her own, sort of passive way, she's kind of hard core and willing to go to pretty extreme lengths to protect her husband. Secondly, there was some fantastic imagery. I particularly liked a low-perspective shot of a series of footsteps along a beach.

To me the only real downside was the portrayal of some of the secondary female characters. They are pretty awful and stereotypical. There's the female student who is a bit obsessed with the professor, and who *MILD SPOILER*
accuses him of rape when he rejects her.
There's the older professor who sort of serves as the anti-Tansy: she walks with a limp and seems to have possibly some other disability. She's jealous of the professor's sway over Margaret (little hints of deviant lesbian behavior). And the problem with this all is that the film never really makes that great a case for Norman. He's kind of condescending and while he's smart in an academic sense, he doesn't seem all that charismatic. Maybe I missed something, but I kind of wished that we heard more from Tansy about why she loves him so much, something more to justify her ride or die obsession with keeping him safe, even potentially at the cost of her own life.

Still, if you haven't seen this one it is free on Amazon and highly recommended!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:So, Burn Witch Burn was pretty great.
:up:
Written by Twilight Zone vets Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:18 am

Captain Terror wrote: :up:
Written by Twilight Zone vets Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont
That makes a lot of sense. The film made me think of a mix of The Twilight Zone and Seance on a Wet Afternoon.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 am

Gotta love when the copy of Sleepaway Camp that you rent starts skipping in the last five minutes. I pulled up the ending on YouTube right after so I could watch it without the skipping (even if it was in shitty resolution).

Anyway, I'll hammer out more substantive thoughts later this week, but is there a more useless slasher movie grown-up than the camp owner in this movie? Also, I laughed unreasonably hard when the kids threw a water balloon at Angela.
____
Blog!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 am

Happy Death Day is a fun slasher movie. It reminded me more of 80s slashers than Scream, however.
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:58 am

I watched Sleepaway Camp last year during Joe Bob Briggs' long ass first marathon. I kind of prefer the second one. The third movie sucks. Tubi TV has the first three films btw.
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't remember how The Child got on my watchlist, but if it's because of one of you I hereby offer my gratitude.

About a bratty kid that makes friends with some monsters that live in a cemetery. Certain plot points were never made clear for me, and the voice dubbing is terrible, but this just pressed all of my buttons. And there's some surprisingly gruesome gore in there too. The monsters look a little bit like undead Sleestaks, but I can roll with it.
Alas, the film is nowhere near as excellent as this poster would have one believe.

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Image

I don't remember how The Child got on my watchlist, but if it's because of one of you I hereby offer my gratitude.

About a bratty kid that makes friends with some monsters that live in a cemetery. Certain plot points were never made clear for me, and the voice dubbing is terrible, but this just pressed all of my buttons. And there's some surprisingly gruesome gore in there too. The monsters look a little bit like undead Sleestaks, but I can roll with it.
Alas, the film is nowhere near as excellent as this poster would have one believe.

I think I've watched and talked about that one a few times, so I might be responsible. I actually just rewatched it again a few weeks ago.

It might be a bit slow for most throughout the beginning 45 minutes, with all these people mumbling around the house, saying things that don't make any sense, acting in ways that have no payoff, but that's kind of my jam, so I was into it.

I think most fans of junky horror could appreciate how it ends though.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
It might be a bit slow for most throughout the beginning 45 minutes, with all these people mumbling around the house, saying things that don't make any sense, acting in ways that have no payoff, but that's kind of my jam, so I was into it.

I think most fans of junky horror could appreciate how it ends though.
Ah, I've since located the discussion. You recommended it after I'd seen Cathy's Curse. Well done, sir.
And yes, whatever its shortcomings I was all-in from the beginning. It just "felt" right, like a comfy sweater.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 am

Rock wrote:Gotta love when the copy of Sleepaway Camp that you rent starts skipping in the last five minutes. I pulled up the ending on YouTube right after so I could watch it without the skipping (even if it was in shitty resolution).

Anyway, I'll hammer out more substantive thoughts later this week, but is there a more useless slasher movie grown-up than the camp owner in this movie? Also, I laughed unreasonably hard when the kids threw a water balloon at Angela.
Ok, here we go:
Sleepaway Camp

This review contains mild spoilers.
Coming at the tail end of the first wave of slashers, Sleepaway Camp is noticeably less gritty than those earlier movies and its campy surfaces make it seem closer to the more cartoonish entries that sprung up in the genre as the ‘80s progressed. (That contrast is most evident in the Slumber Party Massacre series, with a modestly budgeted extra salacious first film being followed by an almost sickeningly bubbly sequel. For the record, I like both. Just don’t ask me about the third one.) But unlike those movies where camp became a default mode of sorts, this one uses that camp (no pun intended) more purposefully and subverts it to unsettling effect. More than any slasher movie I’ve seen, this is one where the kids actually look like kids, and that campy quality makes it play in some ways from the innocuous viewpoint of a child, a dynamic whose potential for unease is first realized when the protagonist is faced with the threat of a child molester. And as the movie progresses along like a boneheaded summer camp comedy, the acts of violence produce an added jolt, made more immediate by their rudimentary nature (the sensations evoked by boiling water, bee stings and curling irons have a specificity lacking in more elaborately gruesome acts), and the cruelty the children inflict on each other and the inefficacy of the adults ends up burrowing themselves under your skin. (The camp owner in this movie holds some kind of title for least helpful slasher movie authority figure.) I’ve seen the ending described as transphobic and I don’t think those accusations are off base, but I think this is a case like I Spit on Your Grave where a movie crosses certain lines but hits on a deeper empathy in the process. (I think Sleepaway Camp is a more palatable movie than I Spit on Your Grave in a lot of ways, and I’m willing to give it some leeway for coming from a less educated time and place, although I would understand if others are less forgiving.) The cruelty and helplessness faced by the killer has been compounded through scene after scene, so that when their identity is revealed, we react with empathy and understand their pain. The closing scene can be described as an obvious shock moment (there’s a certain sound I couldn’t get out of my head after the movie ended), but to me it plays like a cry of anguish.
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 am

Takoma1 wrote:Thoughts on the 1980 The Boogey Man? Because the first five minutes were . . . something.
Did you end up watching the whole thing? I grabbed a copy of The Devonsville Terror while at the videostore today, and it had this as a double feature, so I should be giving it a rewatch over the weekend, and demand someone to gab with.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 am

Rock wrote:I’ve seen the ending described as transphobic and I don’t think those accusations are off base, but I think this is a case like I Spit on Your Grave where a movie crosses certain lines but hits on a deeper empathy in the process. (I think Sleepaway Camp is a more palatable movie than I Spit on Your Grave in a lot of ways, and I’m willing to give it some leeway for coming from a less educated time and place, although I would understand if others are less forgiving.) The cruelty and helplessness faced by the killer has been compounded through scene after scene, so that when their identity is revealed, we react with empathy and understand their pain. The closing scene can be described as an obvious shock moment (there’s a certain sound I couldn’t get out of my head after the movie ended), but to me it plays like a cry of anguish.
MAJOR SPOILERS for Sleepaway Camp
I'm not sure that I agree that the ending is transphobic.

Yes, it comes in the wrapping of a transphobic moment: the realization that a woman is in fact biologically male. With the loaded way that our culture regards transwomen (and the despicable use of terms like "traps"), on the surface it could be seen as a hateful moment.

But I actually don't think that transphobia is what underpins that moment. Realizing that Angela is actually male (and I'm saying that because I don't believe from what we see of the character that Angela herself actually feels like she "belongs" as a woman. It is an identity that has been forced on her in the wake of a horrible trauma) is a moment that helps us to understand just how delicate Angela's mental state has been for probably the last ten years and why the camp setting pushed her over the edge.

There are a lot of little things that to me soften that final reveal in terms of it being transphobic. To begin with (and it's been a while since I've watched it, so feel free to disagree) I feel like the way that the final line is spoken ("Oh, my god. She's a boy.") sounds more like empathy than it does disgust. It's an "Oh my" moment, not a "Eww, gross!" moment.

Then there's the way that the gay relationship of the fathers is portrayed. They are shown as being loving, and we get that sweetly domestic scene of the two men cuddling and kissing while their children watch on and giggle. Coming from a loving home with gay parents isn't at all implicated in Angela's psychology, and it would have been VERY easy for a film at that time to imply untoward things happening in that context.

I actually think that the film does a great job of showing how Angela's identity crisis pushes her over the edge. The fascination with Judy, who rejects her. Confusion over the more socially acceptable (but in reality gay) relationship with a boy.

I guess that just playing the "she has a penis!!!!" card could read as transphobic. But I feel like it's a final act that manages to use that shocking reveal and still elicit a lot of sympathy for the killer.