Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 am

Witchboard

Normally in ‘80s movies, the rich, well dressed assholes have a monopoly on the douchiness. But this is no ordinary ‘80s movie. Here, we meet a rich well dressed asshole who would normally be the antagonist, and of course he’s a douchebag, but as we spend more time with the hero, we realize that he’s a douchebag too, and possibly a bigger one than the first guy, and his character arc becomes one of trying to justify and test the limits of his being a douchebag, only for him to join forces with the other douchebag so that they can overcome their mutual douchebaggery. Also there’s some stuff about ghosts and Ouija boards and possession and what have you. Witchboard came on my radar after reading Carol J. Clover’s Men, Women, and Chainsaws, which cites it heavily when discussing emasculation in possession narratives, and the movie holds plenty of interest from that perspective. But even outside that subtext, I found it a pretty entertaining viewing. The sunny, southern California look might have mostly been a result of its production circumstances (as in, being shot in southern California), but it makes it visually distinct from other movies with similar subject matter. Performance-wise, the male leads have meatier parts to grapple with, but Tawny Kitaen does a pretty good job as the heroine and primary target of possession, although I wish I got a better sense of her character before the possession antics began. She also has a voluminous, uniquely cinematic coiffure, which gets put to great use during the supernatural hullaballoo that ensues. And as far as ‘80s kitsch value goes, there’s a goofy running joke involving characters overreacting when surprised by each other, and a fun (if not necessarily “good”) performance by Kathleen Wilhoite as a medium, who treats her scene like she’s playing a practical joke.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 am

Rock wrote:the male leads have meatier parts
*snerk*

Sorry-it's been a long week.

I was thinking that Witchboard was one of those movies with a ton of sequels, but I must be thinking of a different series. It has "Witch" in the title (I think) but has like 7 or 8 sequels--anyone know what I'm thinking of?
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:17 am

"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:35 am

Wooley wrote: Toni Colette's non-nomination for Hereditary pretty much de-valued the whole year for me.
I remember leaving that theater thinking, "Holy shit, a horror movie is going to WIN Best Actress this year and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it."
Well, like I've said here before (so much so that I'm sure plenty of people are sick of it), I personally would not have given her the Best Actress Oscar, due to the film's increasing misuse of her talents in its 2nd half, but that was really Ari Aster's fault, so, based purely on the impressive merits of her performance, and despite my mixed opinion on the movie in general, I can still admit that it's a travesty that she didn't at least get a nom for what she achieved in it.
Jinnistan wrote: Have some self respect, Stu. They don't want us.
it's true; RT...

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 am

James McAvoy in Split > Toni Colletti in Hereditary.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:James McAvoy in Split > Toni Colletti in Hereditary.
I thought McAvoy was great, I'd take Collette.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Rock wrote:
Witchboard

That guy reminds me of the dirty cop from Shakedown.
Except for Roddy Piper in They Live, if a character in an '80s movie has blonde hockey hair, he's most likely the villain of the piece.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Wooley wrote: I thought McAvoy was great, I'd take Collette.
I think Hereditary was a very noteworthy dramatic performance planted in a horror film. It's great and while she goes for the big histrionics, it felt far more conventional than what McAvoy pulled off in Split.

McAvoy had to deliver a dozen performances for a dozen personalities and even had to have some personalities pretend to be other personalities. All of this with a deft control of tone that had to balance comedy, horror and tragedy. In lesser hands, the film would have utterly been broken.

If Colletti had been replaced by a lesser actress, it wouldn't have been as affecting but would have still been watchable.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Torgo wrote:if a character in an '80s movie has blonde hockey hair, he's most likely the villain of the piece.
Luckily, he showed a lot more villainous restraint here than he did on his soap opera work.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Jinnistan wrote: Luckily, he showed a lot more villainous restraint here than he did on his soap opera work.

"Yeah, I'm playing a bad guy on a soap right now, and between seasons, I'm on the wait staff at a pirate-themed restaurant in Myrtle Beach. It helps pay the bills."
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Rock wrote:Are you thinking of Witchcraft?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft_(film_series)
Jeezus that's a lotta movies. I also get these confused with Witchboard, if this what Takoma was talking about.

About 30 years ago I was forced to watch Witchboard with a friend who's a fan, but I was too snobby to enjoy it. (Only quality cinema for me, thank you very much!) Are yall telling me I need to give it another chance?

And go easy on Kitaen. When you're married to David Coverdale there's a certain standard one's hair is expected to live up to.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I think Hereditary was a very noteworthy dramatic performance planted in a horror film. It's great and while she goes for the big histrionics, it felt far more conventional than what McAvoy pulled off in Split.

McAvoy had to deliver a dozen performances for a dozen personalities and even had to have some personalities pretend to be other personalities. All of this with a deft control of tone that had to balance comedy, horror and tragedy. In lesser hands, the film would have utterly been broken.

If Colletti had been replaced by a lesser actress, it wouldn't have been as affecting but would have still been watchable.
So, I have to disagree here. Collette's talent is well-known and if she had more of a Hollywood look, we'd be talking about her in the same breath as the greatest actors of her generation, IMO. I think she proves that more in the quiet moments than in the louder ones in this film, her transition between someone who has been coping and found a tolerable place to live and someone who is totally unhinged. But she overwhelmingly proves that she can do both as well as or better than anyone. I think a lot of other actresses would have delivered a performance, but nothing like Collette's which really is the whole reason to watch the film.
I would color McAvoy's performance as more "histrionic" (maybe I wouldn't use that exact word, but to keep in the language we've been using and you know what I mean), in that he is playing an out and out psychopath and each of the performances are psychotic performances, and different little characters for him to portray as opposed to the long journey into psychotic mental illness that we see from Collette. I think it was a great performance and I would love to have seen McAvory take Actor and Collette take Actress and the Academy could have gained tremendous credibility as far as I am concerned, but if I was forced to choose, I would actually call Collette's the more nuanced performance and therefore the winner.
So, really not a strong disagreement, splitting a hair or two with you.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:47 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I think Hereditary was a very noteworthy dramatic performance planted in a horror film. It's great and while she goes for the big histrionics, it felt far more conventional than what McAvoy pulled off in Split.

I felt McAvoy was good and fairly effective in his movie, but definitely not as impressive as Collette, even with my aforementioned complaints about the way she was used in Hermehditary. Although, I wouldn't place any of the blame for that on any of McAvoy's choices in his performance, as I never got any sense like he was doing anything but what he was hired to do for the role, rather, I point my finger at M. Knight, whose track record of often very bizarre, stilted, over-the-top characterizations that make it seem like he's never interacted with another human being, and has no concept of how they behave, resurfaced in Split, so instead of getting just one example of that directorial flaw in Kevin, we (more or less) get 23 of them, so to speak, and the greatest thespian who ever lived wouldn't have been able to overcome that basic fact. Add in the inherently schlocky, cartoonish overall tone of Split, and the end result was that Kevin never came across as being even remotely a real human being to me, whereas Annie never felt like anything but 100% authentic to me, regardless of how much Toni had to escalate her performance to match the (also increasingly absurd) tone of the film around her, and nothing in the portrayal of Kevin (or any of his personalities) had anything near to the impact on me as Collette did in this scene:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:28 am

Stu wrote:I felt McAvoy was good and fairly effective in his movie, but definitely not as impressive as Collette, even with my aforementioned complaints about the way she was used in Hermehditary. Although, I wouldn't place any of the blame for that on any of McAvoy's choices in his performance, as I never got any sense like he was doing anything but what he was hired to do for the role, rather, I point my finger at M. Knight, whose track record of often very bizarre, stilted, over-the-top characterizations that make it seem like he's never interacted with another human being, and has no concept of how they behave, resurfaced in Split, so instead of getting just one example of that directorial flaw in Kevin, we (more or less) get 23 of them, so to speak, and the greatest thespian who ever lived wouldn't have been able to overcome that basic fact. Add in the inherently schlocky, cartoonish overall tone of Split, and the end result was that Kevin never came across as being even remotely a real human being to me, whereas Annie never felt like anything but 100% authentic to me, regardless of how much Toni had to escalate her performance to match the (also increasingly absurd) tone of the film around her, and nothing in the portrayal of Kevin (or any of his personalities) had anything near to the impact on me as Collette did in this scene:
Honestly, having been present for far too many moments of grief like that (including, sadly, some of my own), I was astonished and devastated at how real she was in that moment.
I have watched parents fall to the ground screaming when their child has died and it looks exactly like that. And I have never seen it done so painfully accurately on film. Ever.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:56 am

Rock wrote:Are you thinking of Witchcraft?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft_(film_series)
Yup. Wow--16 films!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Yup. Wow--16 films!
The first one was straight forward horror but they seemed to have gone on a Red Shoe Diaries/Poison Ivy kinda vibe after that?

I've only seen the first two :shifty:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Jordan (2010) was billed as a horror/thriller. It's definitely just a thriller, but I liked it.

Jordan is a 5 year old girl on a road trip with her mother. Late at night they hit a deer and crash off of the road. The mother is badly injured and sends Jordan to get help. After a disorienting run through the woods, Jordan is eventually found, but she's unable to lead the police to her mother. The next day, Jordan's mother appears, but Jordan is adamant that this is not her mother. The local sheriff takes Jordan home for the night, and one of his son's is convinced by what Jordan says.

Something that really sets this film apart is how much it commits to the point of view of the children. We are privy to a handful of conversations between the adults, but mainly we stick with Jordan and/or the sheriff's son.

The acting is not always the best, and it's pretty obvious what's up, but there's a chemistry and clear bond between the actors who play Jordan and Eli, the sheriff's son, that really lifts the film. Eli is an interesting character: an introspective and compassionate boy that's not the usual pre-teen boy character you tend to see. There's an ease to the way that he interacts with Jordan (asking her about where she's from or reading her a bedtime story) that's really neat to see. He's smart and action-oriented, but he pays attention and is empathetic to what Jordan is going through.

The kid-centric narrative does necessitate the adults being slightly useless, but I didn't really mind it. This was a short, interesting film with stronger-than-expected lead performances.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 am

I just watched The First Purge. This one did some stuff I liked, like showing why some people choose to purge, as opposed to everyone being faceless killers in masks. Without getting into spoilers there were a couple story elements I dug too. And if you wanna talk diversity, the entire cast is made up of people of color. The only white people are the President, the guy overseeing the Purge, and Marisa Tomei. Yes you read that correctly. Oscar winner Marisa Tomei is in the fourth Purge movie. I don’t know who roped her into being in this and she’s given almost nothing to do. It’s baffling. And of course because it’s a Purge movie everything is eye-rollingly heavy handed and obvious. So yeah a couple interesting elements but otherwise it’s just another Purge movie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:26 am

Getting into a werewolf state of mind for tentatively planned script.

Lycan- one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.

Bad Moon- Not bad at all. The opening scene may be the best, most visceral werewolf scene around. The rest is this off-kilter combination of a dog-centric family film that’s being invaded by a werewolf horror. It’s a strange mix and sometimes a tad slow but I enjoyed it a great deal. The werewolf violence has a real weight to it that’s completely missing in far more celebrated films in the genre (I’m looking at you, The Howling). It does, however, have perhaps the worst transformation scene of all time. Still, it’s better than 90% of all other werewolf films.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:05 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Bad Moon- Not bad at all. The opening scene may be the best, most visceral werewolf scene around. The rest is this off-kilter combination of a dog-centric family film that’s being invaded by a werewolf horror. It’s a strange mix and sometimes a tad slow but I enjoyed it a great deal. The werewolf violence has a real weight to it that’s completely missing in far more celebrated films in the genre (I’m looking at you, The Howling). It does, however, have perhaps the worst transformation scene of all time. Still, it’s better than 90% of all other werewolf films.
The fact that the dog is the star/hero of the film is such a fun dynamic. Because it basically takes that film plot where one person knows someone is evil but everyone else thinks they're great . . . and makes the person who "gets it" a dog.

I was pretty tepid on the film as a whole (because the people are pretty underdeveloped), but generally I liked it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
The fact that the dog is the star/hero of the film is such a fun dynamic. Because it basically takes that film plot where one person knows someone is evil but everyone else thinks they're great . . . and makes the person who "gets it" a dog.

I was pretty tepid on the film as a whole (because the people are pretty underdeveloped), but generally I liked it.
Also, best dog performance after the Thing. If the film had been stripped down to just the werewolf and dog stuff, I think I’d have loved it. It would still be a rather campy horror flick, but those things were just very surprisingly well done.

Also, Mariel Hemingway should have been replaced by Dee Wallace.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Also, best dog performance after the Thing. If the film had been stripped down to just the werewolf and dog stuff, I think I’d have loved it. It would still be a rather campy horror flick, but those things were just very surprisingly well done.
Yes, it really helps that the dog they found was super expressive. Like, I'm not sure I've ever seen exasperation portrayed so well by an animal.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Yes, it really helps that the dog they found was super expressive. Like, I'm not sure I've ever seen exasperation portrayed so well by an animal.
That dog displayed more emotion in that one performance than [insert topical wooden actor famous for their looks] in their entire careers! Now that's a biting observation!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: That dog displayed more emotion in that one performance than [insert topical wooden actor famous for their looks] in their entire careers! Now that's a biting observation!
Zing!

But seriously, there was one reaction shot where the dog was so clearly like "DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU?!?!?!?!"
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:39 am

Creep (2004) was disappointing given how much I enjoy Smith’s other films. Even Potente seemed awkward and her reactions weren’t authentic. Harris’ titular creep looked to be the precursor to the crawlers from the Descent and that look, along with the implied backstory, just felt wonky. Wonkiness all around. The timing for everything just felt off.

It was still a decent low budget horror romp but Smith has surpassed it in every way and it’s just not even close to Severance, Triangle or even Black Death.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Creep (2004) was disappointing given how much I enjoy Smith’s other films. Even Potente seemed awkward and her reactions weren’t authentic. Harris’ titular creep looked to be the precursor to the crawlers from the Descent and that look, along with the implied backstory, just felt wonky. Wonkiness all around. The timing for everything just felt off.

It was still a decent low budget horror romp but Smith has surpassed it in every way and it’s just not even close to Severance, Triangle or even Black Death.
Definitely the least of his films that I've seen, but still passable. I remember thinking it was a B- sort of flick. Think I liked the crawler design more than you, though it's been a minute.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:53 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Creep (2004) was disappointing given how much I enjoy Smith’s other films. Even Potente seemed awkward and her reactions weren’t authentic. Harris’ titular creep looked to be the precursor to the crawlers from the Descent and that look, along with the implied backstory, just felt wonky. Wonkiness all around. The timing for everything just felt off.

Well, it's not great but there's definitely potential in the way that he builds atmosphere.

And there were a handful of "Oh, god!" moments, like
the Creep "washing his hands" while getting ready to perform some horrible surgery on the one woman

Compared to his others, yeah, it's weak. But in the general field of horror I still think it's alright.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Getting into a werewolf state of mind for tentatively planned script.

Lycan- one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.

Bad Moon- Not bad at all. The opening scene may be the best, most visceral werewolf scene around. The rest is this off-kilter combination of a dog-centric family film that’s being invaded by a werewolf horror. It’s a strange mix and sometimes a tad slow but I enjoyed it a great deal. The werewolf violence has a real weight to it that’s completely missing in far more celebrated films in the genre (I’m looking at you, The Howling). It does, however, have perhaps the worst transformation scene of all time. Still, it’s better than 90% of all other werewolf films.
I watched Wer tonight, which isn't great but does have a relatively unique spin on lycanthropy. Might want to check it out if you're still doing the werewolf thing. I repeat: It isn't great.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:47 am

Captain Terror wrote: I watched Wer tonight, which isn't great but does have a relatively unique spin on lycanthropy. Might want to check it out if you're still doing the werewolf thing. I repeat: It isn't great.
Added to the list!

I also watched:

Frankenstein Meets Wolf Man: really liked it
House of Frankenstein: Liked it
House of Dracula: Didn't like it
Another WolfCop: hated it
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Witchhammer - (Vavra, 1970)

Not really a horror film in any sense of the word, but a drama about witch trials in Northern Monrovia during the 1670s acting as an allegory to the aftermath of the Prague Spring. The film is still plenty frightening in that respect, and is a handsome, but not particularly gothic, B&W production with a number of strong performances.

The Black Sleep - (Le Borg, 1956)

Considering the year of release and the state of the careers of its stars, it's quite a pleasant surprise, as well as a mild disappointment, that this film is not the kind of Ed Wood cheapo fiasco that one would expect. It's not exactly great, but it manages a certain competence, a faithful throwback Universal style, that Wood could only dare to dream. The all-stars include most of those decade-past Universal actors that weren't doing anything at the time - Basil Rathbone, Lon Chaney Jr, John Carradine - bacon and egging their way through the scenery, while poor Bela Lugosi is relegated to a mute butler with even less screen time than Plan Nine. Good fun for a seasonal viewing.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne was a very interesting flick. A somnambulist plot progression of surreal Euro-trash erotica with Udo Kier as the titular Jekyll who transforms into a well endowed, dagger dicked Hyde. It was provocative and hypnotic with one of my favorite ambient scores I've ever heard. I'd love it if I didn't feel so detached from it but it's a highly interesting watch nonetheless.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm a fan, although I'd like it even more if Udo played both Jekyll and Hyde.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:13 am

Rock wrote:I'm a fan, although I'd like it even more if Udo played both Jekyll and Hyde.
Yeah. I wish I could wave my wand and combine this one and the Hammer version. That'd be cinematic perfection.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Yeah. I wish I could wave my wand and combine this one and the Hammer version. That'd be cinematic perfection.
I think there was enough wand-waving for both movies in that one scene.

And by wand, I mean Hyde's penis.

If you catch my drift.
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:39 am

I imagine the Hereditary one is 100% context dependent, because all the others work with just the clip, really.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:39 am

Rock wrote: I think there was enough wand-waving for both movies in that one scene.

And by wand, I mean Hyde's penis.

If you catch my drift.
You talking...
when it's bloody after anally raping that fella or when it's pressed upon the buttocks of that gal as she prepared for consensual sex before her restrained father?
Art.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: You talking...
when it's bloody after anally raping that fella or when it's pressed upon the buttocks of that gal as she prepared for consensual sex before her restrained father?
Art.
I was thinking of the latter. Completely forgot about the former.

Twice as much wand-waving for two movies.
____
Blog!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 am

I liked the Pet Sematary remake. Honestly the book has a certain tone neither of the two films have really managed to quite get down, but I like both movies. The remake has way better acting and a better cat, though.
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:27 am

Watched this a hundred times with my mom and this made us jump every single time.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:54 am

Rock wrote: I was thinking of the latter. Completely forgot about the former.

Twice as much wand-waving for two movies.
And that's not even counting how many times I waved my wand during the film.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am

I took a break from Univeral horror and watched the Bloodstained Butterfly. I dug it!

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-bloodstained-butterfly/
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am
I took a break from Univeral horror and watched the Bloodstained Butterfly. I dug it!

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-bloodstained-butterfly/
I don't remember the exact plot, but I do remember the movie sticking the ending dramatically, so I guess I dug it.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 am
I don't remember the exact plot, but I do remember the movie sticking the ending dramatically, so I guess I dug it.
The exact plot, aside from the courtroom drama variation, is straightforward giallo.

That ending though, is something else. Which reminds me, you ever get around to What Have They Done To Your Daughters?