Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm
But you need the sci-fi element in order for
Copley's character to understand the horror of what his company has been doing to the aliens.
Without it being about aliens it would be a drama about apartheid. And while I would watch a well-made drama about apartheid, the alien technology, the wonderful ambiguity about the ending, those things wouldn't exist.

(And yes, the site is running a bit better for me. It's still kind of slow, and when people post GIFs it totally freezes my screen. I can't figure out what the deal is. Must just be something to do with my Chromebook).
It's true that certain elements to this film would have to be changed if this film is about apartheid. By leaving the aliens in, you open the film up to those strengths. However, you'd also have to sacrifice a degree of credibility by leaving the film this way. For me, I suppose it just comes down to weighing the pros and cons of both choices against each other. I'd prefer to have the world feel more realistic as opposed to losing a few cool concepts this film has to offer.

Anyways, I'm glad to see your luck is slightly improving with this site. I don't know a whole lot about technology and all, but all I can recommend is to try changing internet browsers to see if it improves this site.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:01 pm
It's true that certain elements to this film would have to be changed if this film is about apartheid. By leaving the aliens in, you open the film up to those strengths. However, you'd also have to sacrifice a degree of credibility by leaving the film this way. For me, I suppose it just comes down to weighing the pros and cons of both choices against each other. I'd prefer to have the world feel more realistic as opposed to losing a few cool concepts this film has to offer.
To me, the suspension of disbelief required to accept that humans would let aliens live alongside them is well worth the price in terms of how it allows the film to extend the humor of the analogy and to allow for the degree of action and sci-fi elements (like the weapons and ships).

To me, the fact that the language used is barely different than the way people talk about minorities makes a huge point on its own.

I also found that the film had enough emotional heft that I was far more forgiving of any plot wobbles.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:24 am

My first of the so-called "Blood-Thirsty Trilogy" Toho vampire films, Vampire Doll is a nice Japanese translation of Hammer goth punctuated with the deathless national archetype of the "stringy-haired ghost girl". Admittedly, I was expecting some campy yucks, but this is an effective little chiller.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:32 am

Blood Rage (1987) is not a good film, but it is not a film totally devoid of ideas, for whatever that's worth.
It is, I can tell you, quite a bit better than Sorority House Massacre, which is just fucking terrible.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 pm

I really liked Bone Tomahawk. It belongs to a kind of genre I love that I call "iceberg cinema" in which it appears very simple on the surface, but there are thought-provoking undercurrents that belie its simplicity. What I found in those undercurrents - and maybe I was looking too closely - is that
there's a very thin line between civilization and whatever you would call the way the Troglodytes live, and that line is mostly made up of hopes, assumptions and superstitions. From Brooder's specious reasoning for murdering the Mexican drifters to Chicory’s thoughts about flea circuses to the very last thing that happens in the movie - Chicory dropping rocks to make a trail for Sheriff Hunt on the assumption that he survived - the movie is full of the little things we all tell ourselves, many of which make no sense or are unverifiable, that keep us off the ledge.
The movie also features one of the best ensembles I can remember, the standout being Matthew Fox as the mysterious, ice cold Brooder. The movie reached a point when almost everything Brooder did caused me to flinch at the terrible things that would happen next.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm

I love Blood Rage. Bought the Arrow blu and plan to screen it around Thanksgiving.

I sort of hate Bone Tomahawk. I found it to be an amateurish, racist, cowardly slog of a film that sets up its well executed violence in the laziest fashion and wastes it's excellent cast.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Blood Rage is great.

Did not like Bone Tomahawk.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:56 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Blood Rage is great.

And this is why we're all failing your screenshot quiz.
"we" meaning "me" of course.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:01 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Blood Rage is great.

Look at us.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm

In my defense, I also really like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Midnight Express, which have similar accusations of racism. Oh, that's not much of a defense, is it?
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm
In my defense, I also really like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Midnight Express, which have similar accusations of racism. Oh, that's not much of a defense, is it?
I think the worst elements of Bone Tomahawk are where it flaccidly tries to avoid accusations of racism by having Zahn MacClarnon hand wave it away with "these THINGS have less in common with my people than you do!" Then literally has him awkwardly sidestep out of the frame never to be seen or matter to this narrative again so we can get back to the white people talking about savages and killing natives.

It's that degree of cinematic cowardice that makes me hate that film and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Well, an the ineptitude and glacial pacing.

Strangely, the film of Zahler's that I actually like and admire is his most divisive among fans, Dragged Across Concrete. Despite it having racially charged dialogue, he swapped being an actually racist flick with misanthropy and ends up having some potent anti-racism subtext. It's also his film that actually looks like he hired a skilled cinematographer and not a shot-reverse-shot TV hack that relies on color correction in post to give his film a "look."
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:47 pm

I can compartmentalize such issues as a films racist issues for separate discussions from a films quality, so that wasn't what kept me away from Bone Tomahawk. I just found it to lack and real personality. Seemed so flat and dull. And I hated the dialogue and what felt to me like short cuts to make the characters feel dynamic. It just all rang so hollow to me and just neutralized any interest I have in seeing any of the guys other movies.

I get that this is a minority opinion though, but am entirely at ease being on the unpopular side of it. Like I do with everything I don't like though, a rewatch will eventually happen, so who knows what future me will think.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 pm
I think the worst elements of Bone Tomahawk are where it flaccidly tries to avoid accusations of racism by having Zahn MacClarnon hand wave it away with "these THINGS have less in common with my people than you do!" Then literally has him awkwardly sidestep out of the frame never to be seen or matter to this narrative again so we can get back to the white people talking about savages and killing natives.
Zahler's avoidance could have been more substantial - I wish MacClarnon had more to do, and not just because he's such a good actor, I mean, have you seen him in Fargo season 2? However, like those other movies - I should have also mentioned Deliverance, which problematically depicts southerners - the rest of the ingredients (I clearly appreciated more than you did) shouldn't have made up for this undercooked one, but they did anyway. I'll put it on my list of guilty pleasures, if that helps.

I really want to see 99 and Concrete as well. This movie has personality and a grit that seem to be in short supply for genre movies these days.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 pm
Zahler's avoidance could have been more substantial - I wish MacClarnon had more to do, and not just because he's such a good actor, I mean, have you seen him in Fargo season 2? However, like those other movies - I should have also mentioned Deliverance, which problematically depicts southerners - the rest of the ingredients (I clearly appreciated more than you did) shouldn't have made up for this undercooked one, but they did anyway. I'll put it on my list of guilty pleasures, if that helps.

I really want to see 99 and Concrete as well. This movie has personality and a grit that seem to be in short supply for genre movies these days.
Seeing an actor of Zahn's caliber so thoroughly tossed aside once his instrumental value was met fueled the majority of my "this flick is racist" reaction than the "let's have monsters that are just the stereotype of how settlers viewed natives and add throat flutes! Completely different!"

My next script will actually be a western with Zahn in mind for the lead, so there is a deeply specific and personal resentment I don't expect others to have.

That said, absolutely no blame in favoring a film despite troubling subtext. I'm an exploitation film lover after all. There are tons of racist, sexist, authoritarian and other types of "diametrically opposed to my ideology" art that I love. Hell, I love Mel Gibson's work a TON (part of why I liked DAC so much) and consider Eastwood and Siegel to be among my favorite American directors.

I would have overlooked that stuff (well, compartmentalized is likely more correct) if I hadn't found it to be exactly as lifeless, rote and sophomoric as Crummy described above.

I think you'll likely be a Zahler fan through and through then and should enter them with some degree of confidence. I look forward to your thoughts on both. It felt weird when I found myself defending DAC to Zahler fans on Reddit after years of crapping on him for his first two works.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 am

This discussion has made me want to rewatch Blood Rage tonight though. So this is exciting.....I suppose.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 am
This discussion has made me want to rewatch Blood Rage tonight though. So this is exciting.....I suppose.
Report back if it is or is not cranberry sauce.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 am
Report back if it is or is not cranberry sauce.
Ohhhhh nooooo, I don't have Blood Rage.

I rented that movie in the brief period where I had no material belongings to burn it on.

Now I'll need to rerent it from the place where I just realized this morning that I had Mermaid in a Manhole sitting at the bottom of my bookbag for the last three months. The late charges are going to murder me.

Nooooooo.

Life is tragic.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:56 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 am

I rented that movie in the brief period where I had no material belongings to burn it on.

Now I'll need to rerent it from the place where I just realized this morning that I had Mermaid in a Manhole sitting at the bottom of my bookbag for the last three months. The late charges are going to murder me.

Nooooooo.

Life is tragic.
It's currently $3.99 to own on iTunes.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:52 am

Watching Mom and Dad as a midnight movie was such a correct decision.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:52 am
Watching Mom and Dad as a midnight movie was such a correct decision.
To not do so would make me as mad as Nic Cage thinking about the Hokey Pokey.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 am

I remember thinking Blood Rage was a steaming turd-pile, but I just looked up my write-up from last year and found this:
Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:22 am
:up:
Ineptly made, yet strangely watchable. Lasser really lets it all hang out here. A performance for the ages.
So maybe I liked it more than I remembered. Then again, I also used the word "rancid" in another post.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 am
I remember thinking Blood Rage was a steaming turd-pile, but I just looked up my write-up from last year and found this:

So maybe I liked it more than I remembered. Then again, I also used the word "rancid" in another post.
It's the Samurai Cop of Slashers.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:50 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 am

Nooooooo.

Life is tragic.
It's on Amazon Prime if that helps.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Thread question: what's your favorite Lewton production?

For me it usually a dead heat between Cat People and The Leopard Man.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Body Snatcherrrrrrrrrr!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Cat People and The Seventh Victim
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm

DaMU wrote:
This is like asking for my favorite Beatles album. I've already second guessed my answer three times
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm
This is like asking for my favorite Beatles album. I've already second guessed my answer three times
A reasonable case could be made for nearly all of them. (The Ghost Ship and Bedlam not as much.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:42 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 pm
A reasonable case could be made for nearly all of them. (The Ghost Ship and Bedlam not as much.)
Since you asked for "favorite" and not "best" I'm sticking with Body Snatcher. Love that one and will watch it 100 more times before I'm dead, I'm sure. (I'm fighting the urge to write a lengthy post defending Ghost Ship :) )
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:42 pm
Since you asked for "favorite" and not "best" I'm sticking with Body Snatcher. Love that one and will watch it 100 more times before I'm dead, I'm sure. (I'm fighting the urge to write a lengthy post defending Ghost Ship :) )
Eh, I don't stress so much about best vs. favorite, however you want to answer the question is fine, obviously.

Been ages since I watched Ghost Ship, I'd love to read a fresh take on it!
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm

DaMU wrote:

I'm going to go with Cat People though I Walked With a Zombie, Leopard Man and Body Snatchers are stalking it in the shadows.

I'm halfway tempted to choose BS on the strength of Karloff's performance.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:28 pm

DaMU wrote:

I Walked With a Zombie, no question.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Cat People and The Seventh Victim
This is correct.

I'm almost done with I Still See You, which Rumpled gave a general thumbs up to in his thread. It's a little dumb and a little predictable, but not in ways that do that much harm to enjoying it. The basic plot is that some *event* happens which kills a lot of people, but then there are these "remnants"--ghosts of people who were killed and they sort of go through a few moments of their daily routine. A teenage girl whose father died in the event begins to suspect that some of the remnants are trying to tell her something, and that one of them might even be trying to harm her.

Also, one more thought about Mom and Dad: did it make anyone else think of the Masters of Horror episode/Alice Sheldon short story "The Screwfly Solution"?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Body Snatcherrrrrrrrrr!
:fresh:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 am

I had a very positive reaction to Midsommar. I don't think it's nearly as unique or revolutionary as it's been touted (what ever is?) but as a loving conflation and homage to Wicker Man and Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the artistic, pretty tableau approach to violence ala Hannibal, it's very much my bag.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 am
I had a very positive reaction to Midsommar. I don't think it's nearly as unique or revolutionary as it's been touted (what ever is?) but as a loving conflation and homage to Wicker Man and Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the artistic, pretty tableau approach to violence ala Hannibal, it's very much my bag.
I am very excited for this one.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 am
I am very excited for this one.
I'm interested in how you'll react to the gender and relationship dynamics in it. I think they're just as provocative and well thought out as any of the cult horror elements.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 am
I'm expecting The Wicker Man influence based on the premise/trailer, but your mention of TCM intrigues me. Please keep me in the dark for the time being.

Also, I take it you were a fan of Hereditary? How does it compare to that one?
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:57 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:51 am
I'm expecting The Wicker Man influence based on the premise/trailer, but your mention of TCM intrigues me. Please keep me in the dark for the time being.

Also, I take it you were a fan of Hereditary? How does it compare to that one?
I may get some push back on the TCM comparison but I'm more than confident in my ability to support it. The Wicker Man influence is overt and obvious enough that I almost feel it could be considered a spiritual sequel.

I was a fan of Hereditary. I had a better first watch with Midsommar (both in audience and in personal response) but I preferred Hereditary overall on my second watch. I suspect I won't know for sure until I rewatch Midsommar. It's sitting with me quite nicely, even if it doesn't have a single performance as strong as Collette or Wolff.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Last night we had a movie night, and the general mood was that we wanted something lighter. We ended up watching You Might Be the Killer.

Now, I feel like the horror-comedy is a tricky genre to master, and it's rare that I actually find them funny. I quite liked this one.

We meet Camp Counselor Sam (Fran Kranz) as he runs in terror from an unseen killer. Cowering in an abandoned cabin, Sam calls his friend Chuck (Allyson Hannigan), a horror movie buff. Drawing on her knowledge of horror film convention, Chuck works with Sam to try to figure out who or what is responsible for all the dead bodies now littering the camp.

This was just a really good time. There was a moment at the end of the first act where I thought "Uh, oh. Is this something that should have been 25 minutes long and they stretched it to feature length?". But you know what? Despite the first act maybe being the most original part of the film, it really gripped me all the way through and did some surprising things in the final act.

A lot of this is due to Kranz, who manages to get both the comedy and the emotional parts right. At one point they discover the body of a counselor and another counselor says "Oh, my god! It's Steve!" and Kranz blurts out "The kayak king!" in this pained howl. He has a lot to convey: a man who is both afraid of a killer and increasingly afraid that he might be the killer. Sam feels a lot of affection and responsibility for the other counselors, and he has to face the possibility that he is the one who has been hurting them.

This isn't quite at the level of Cabin in the Woods, but I enjoyed it the whole way through. There's a clear affection from the filmmakers for horror films, and specifically 80s camp counselor horror.

This one is $2 to rent on Amazon and I'd highly recommend it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 am

I watched Kwaidan. Here were my thoughts:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/kwaidan/
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 am

So... Did the Ninth Gate kinda suck or was my mood off? It just came off as a tedious bore of a self parody that sought to conflate the previous successes of Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby with none of the intelligence, craft or mood that made those work. It indulged in camp but not enough to keep it halfway engaging.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 am
So... Did the Ninth Gate kinda suck or was my mood off? It just came off as a tedious bore of a self parody that sought to conflate the previous successes of Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby with none of the intelligence, craft or mood that made those work. It indulged in camp but not enough to keep it halfway engaging.
I liked it a lot, and I do find it perversely funny. Depp's deadpan reaction to everything is immensely amusing to me.

This touches on our other discussion, but I have to point out that Gate is also infused with an intelligent use of occult symbolism, and the film ultimately is
an elaborate parody of those who take the occult too seriously, which is why all of the self-serious occultists meet sticky ends while the more aloof Depp is the only who gets enlightened in the end.
Wisdom of the Fool kind of stuff.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:59 pm

You'll probably come across The Ritual if you're looking to pad your Netflix queue with horror movies, and while I won't discourage you from doing so, you should save it for a lazy Saturday or as an aperitif before you watch something that's really good. It's about a group of British male friends who try to vacation together as much as possible - think the friends in City Slickers, but much less likable - and their latest destination is a hiking trail in a remote Swedish forest. Unfortunately for them, it's one of those horror movie forests that encourages misdirection, in-fighting, has runes engraved on the trees and is home to not only cultists, but also a monster. What unique touches the movie has, such as the dreamlike visuals, aren't too shabby, as is the treatment of its theme of how a true test of character is how one acts in a crisis. Other than that, it's a standard, not to mention only marginally scary, affair.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm
I liked it a lot, and I do find it perversely funny. Depp's deadpan reaction to everything is immensely amusing to me.

This touches on our other discussion, but I have to point out that Gate is also infused with an intelligent use of occult symbolism, and the film ultimately is
an elaborate parody of those who take the occult too seriously, which is why all of the self-serious occultists meet sticky ends while the more aloof Depp is the only who gets enlightened in the end.
Wisdom of the Fool kind of stuff.
How is that a particularly intelligent use or occult symbolism? It's basically a 2+ hour "spot the difference in the picture" routine followed by an equally repetitious structure of find book, find differences, book owner gets attacked, repeat, with little variance or sense to liven things up.

Even Polanski and Depp reportedly didn't like Depp's performance in it so I have trouble with that reading as well, given that the undertones are about an outsider getting overwhelmed by an obsession and guided towards an inevitable destination...

That destination being an anti-climax because nothing matters in the film. Had been a film filled with style, craft and been provocative, rather than an antiquated trudge of recycled 60's elements 30 years too late, such irreverence might have amused me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:59 pm
You'll probably come across The Ritual if you're looking to pad your queue with horror movies, and while I won't discourage you from doing so, you should save it for a lazy Saturday or as an aperitif before you watch something that's really good. It's about a group of British male friends who try to vacation together as much as possible - think the friends in City Slickers, but much less likable - and their latest destination is a hiking trail in remote Swedish forest. As you would expect, it's one of those horror movie forests that encourages misdirection, in-fighting, has runes engraved on the trees and is home to not only cultists, but a monster. What unique touches the movie has, such as the dreamlike visuals, aren't too shabby, as is the treatment of its theme of how a true test of character is how one acts in a crisis. Other than that, it's a standard, not to mention only marginally scary, affair.
I really liked the Ritual a lot. It was one of the better small horror films in some time. It felt like the Descent with a folklore twist.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm
How is that a particularly intelligent use or occult symbolism?
I mean intelligent as being intelligibly consistent with historic occult symbolism, as opposed to the demonic tropes of 99% of films considered "occult". The series of differences in the pictures aren't arbitrary in this sense, but clues on the fool's journey.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Even Polanski and Depp reportedly didn't like Depp's performance in it so I have trouble with that reading as well
Hm. It's been years, but I seem to remember Polanski admiring Deepp's performance on the disc commentary, especially his handling of constantly being hung up on.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
an outsider getting overwhelmed by an obsession and guided towards an inevitable destination...
I think that it's important to specify the obsession here.
I never got the impression that Corso was tempted to believe in the occult power that he was investigating. His obsession is therefore much different that the others searching for the book. Corso's obsession was more professional, an unwillingness to be made a fool of.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
That destination being an anti-climax because nothing matters in the film. Had been a film filled with style, craft and been provocative, rather than an antiquated trudge of recycled 60's elements 30 years too late, such irreverence might have amused me.
I'm not sure I understand which "recycled 60s elements" you mean. Maybe because there was an explosion of occult-themed horror films in the late 60s-70s? Again, this film is a parody of a lot of those sinister pretensions - you could consider Langella and Olin as a kind of Lee and Steele if you want - and, as a horror film, it stands a lot of what's assumed to be satanic on its head. So, in that sense, I can see how someone would say that it's not a very good horror film, or even see it an anti-horror film. But I do think that it's a pretty good occult black comedy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 pm
I mean intelligent as being intelligibly consistent with historic occult symbolism, as opposed to the demonic tropes of 99% of films considered "occult". The series of differences in the pictures aren't arbitrary in this sense, but clues on the fool's journey.

Hm. It's been years, but I seem to remember Polanski admiring Deepp's performance on the disc commentary, especially his handling of constantly being hung up on.

I think that it's important to specify the obsession here.
I never got the impression that Corso was tempted to believe in the occult power that he was investigating. His obsession is therefore much different that the others searching for the book. Corso's obsession was more professional, an unwillingness to be made a fool of.

I'm not sure I understand which "recycled 60s elements" you mean. Maybe because there was an explosion of occult-themed horror films in the late 60s-70s? Again, this film is a parody of a lot of those sinister pretensions - you could consider Langella and Olin as a kind of Lee and Steele if you want - and, as a horror film, it stands a lot of what's assumed to be satanic on its head. So, in that sense, I can see how someone would say that it's not a very good horror film, or even see it an anti-horror film. But I do think that it's a pretty good occult black comedy.
How is that a "more intelligent use" than Midsommar? It's more of the focus but the meaning doesn't tie in with any real relevance beyond MacGuffinry.

I was reading quotes where Depp and Polanski said those things. Regardless, I was unimpressed with either.

What gratification is that meaning supposed to give? If it's an appeal to apathy and not taking it seriously, his success should be an irony, rather than the result of dogged pursuit. There's constant remarks about "why" he pursues this and he clearly states that it's no longer about money but rather what makes these books priceless. If that isn't taking them seriously by the end, I don't see what is. But even if I humor that reading, why does that interpretation do anything other than cause one to shrug their shoulders at the wasted time?

I don't find it funny or clever enough to work as a black comedy or parody, interesting enough to evoke the neo-noir and occult mystery, or scary and atmospheric enough to be a horror. It just feels like a lot of nothing.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 pm
How is that a "more intelligent use" than Midsommar? It's more of the focus but the meaning doesn't tie in with any real relevance beyond MacGuffinry.
On the contrary, Gate uses the sequence of illustrations as narrative beats. The arc follows the symbolism.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 pm
What gratification is that meaning supposed to give? If it's an appeal to apathy and not taking it seriously, his success should be an irony, rather than the result of dogged pursuit. There's constant remarks about "why" he pursues this and he clearly states that it's no longer about money but rather what makes these books priceless. If that isn't taking them seriously by the end, I don't see what is.
There's some room between apathy and megalomania. The point being that Corso was not allured by a desire for illicit power. That doesn't mean he wasn't curious, or determined to get to the bottom of the plot in which he's been used. His motives are more justified than wanting to, say, reign rapaciously under his dark endowment. Or whatever people with capes say.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 pm
On the contrary, Gate uses the sequence of illustrations as narrative beats. The arc follows the symbolism.

There's some room between apathy and megalomania. The point being that Corso was not allured by a desire for illicit power. That doesn't mean he wasn't curious, or determined to get to the bottom of the plot in which he's been used. His motives are more justified than wanting to, say, reign rapaciously under his dark endowment. Or whatever people with capes say.
What's gained by either clarification to justify the narrative choices made to render everything repetitious and without point?