Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Apex Predator

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:23 pm

I finally got around to seeing A Quiet Place. I found it to be very good, particularly with its handling of horror and drama elements.

I would have seen Hereditary and both Jordan Peele films, but unfortunately I've ran into spoilers in all 3 cases.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:23 pm
I finally got around to seeing A Quiet Place. I found it to be very good, particularly with its handling of horror and drama elements.

I would have seen Hereditary and both Jordan Peele films, but unfortunately I've ran into spoilers in all 3 cases.
I think half the joy of those three films is rewatching them knowing the truth and seeing the brilliant use of foreshadowing and set up. I would go ahead and watch them regardless.

I dig the Quiet Place. Utterly implausible and skips out on some very sticky issues for convenience but it's so we'll acted and has such fun with it's premise that I don't care.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:21 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 pm
What's gained by either clarification to justify the narrative choices made to render everything repetitious and without point?

What is justice?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:21 pm

What is justice?
A portmanteau of just ice and it is cold out there, brother.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 pm
A portmanteau of just ice and it is cold out there, brother.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 am

Apex Predator wrote:
I guessed the "twist" of Get Out about 15 minutes into the film. It did nothing to diminish the experience.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:01 am

I loved the Lure. I'm definitely well within the niche audience for that one.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:01 am
I loved the Lure. I'm definitely well within the niche audience for that one.
*high five*

Me too!

And despite how much oddity it contains, I thought that it really delivered on the emotion, especially from the
surgery
to the end.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 am
*high five*

Me too!

And despite how much oddity it contains, I thought that it really delivered on the emotion, especially from the
surgery
to the end.
Absolutely. I was so throughout engaged by it's aesthetics, music and off-kilter sensibilities that the final act caught me like a slap to the face.

My only very minor critique is that I wished the horror elements were as creatively done as the musical elements. It was FINE but it felt like I had seen those types of attacks a million times. The juxtaposition was nice but I feel like they could have really done something special and didn't.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 am

Ok I liked and enjoyed the new Child's Play. It is more of a reboot/new flick than a remake, and has very little if nothing to do with the original series. It also has brutal kills, a dark sense of humor and is a nice surprise.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am

Apex Predator wrote:

I loved A Quiet Place, and my theater viewing was full of people trying to be quiet haha. Hereditary was also great and disturbing-very intense. Both Peele movies are fantastic and I am glad I saw them on the big screen.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm

So The Perfection is awful. If you want to go for something that absurdly stupid, it might help to not have this cold emotionless self serious tone throughout. Trash doesn't play well when it is even more dull than it is ridiculous. I don't even think the movie was particularly well crafted or acted. Just uniformly annoying.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm
So The Perfection is awful. If you want to go for something that absurdly stupid, it might help to not have this cold emotionless self serious tone throughout. Trash doesn't play well when it is even more dull than it is ridiculous. I don't even think the movie was particularly well crafted or acted. Just uniformly annoying.
I thought that there was some potential in the first half in terms of exploring female competition.

What I largely resented was
that the two major scenes of suspense are built around waiting for a young woman to be raped. And as you say, it's simultaneously kind of dull. Like in the scene in the flashback where she messes up and it's obvious she's going to be assaulted, and then he lectures her for like 5 minutes about "the perfection." It's just so cheap and, as you note, it's not high camp enough or done with enough imagination as to find it's way toward being enjoyable. And it's way too absurd to be taken seriously as horror or drama.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm
I thought that there was some potential in the first half in terms of exploring female competition.

What I largely resented was
that the two major scenes of suspense are built around waiting for a young woman to be raped. And as you say, it's simultaneously kind of dull. Like in the scene in the flashback where she messes up and it's obvious she's going to be assaulted, and then he lectures her for like 5 minutes about "the perfection." It's just so cheap and, as you note, it's not high camp enough or done with enough imagination as to find it's way toward being enjoyable. And it's way too absurd to be taken seriously as horror or drama.
You take that same concept, completely rewrite the dialogue and broaden the characters, give them more to chew on, then get a director with some personality and or a sense of humor and it could work.

But of course now I'm talking about a entirely different movie since none of that happened. Outside of the scene on the bus absolutely nothing worked.

Also, that perfection monlogue was amateur hour. Ugh. So so bad
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 am
I guessed the "twist" of Get Out about 15 minutes into the film. It did nothing to diminish the experience.
Of those three, Get Out appears the most likely. It's been the longest since I've seen the spoiler.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm
I think half the joy of those three films is rewatching them knowing the truth and seeing the brilliant use of foreshadowing and set up. I would go ahead and watch them regardless.

I dig the Quiet Place. Utterly implausible and skips out on some very sticky issues for convenience but it's so we'll acted and has such fun with it's premise that I don't care.
Maybe if I see it again, that one part that bugs Takoma might bug me as well. But as it played out, it was really effective. Jaw was down for a solid few minutes.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Spoilers can be annoying, and I typically try to avoid them whenever possible, but I feel like the ideas ultimately matter more than the surprise factor in the end, as is the case with Get Out (I haven't seen Hereditary and Us yet).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Of those three, Get Out appears the most likely. It's been the longest since I've seen the spoiler.
The thing is, Get Out is in no way a film that lives or dies purely by the surprises it contains. Many of them are easy to guess. The joy of Get Out is in the performances, the atmosphere, the sound design, and the visuals. I enjoyed it just as much (if not more) on a second viewing.
Apex Predator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 pm
Maybe if I see it again, that one part that bugs Takoma might bug me as well. But as it played out, it was really effective. Jaw was down for a solid few minutes.
Were any of you actually surprised by that sequence? Because as soon as it started I was like, "Oh, okay, so now
the dad's going to die." Then for a second I thought that the girl might figure out the hearing aid thing, but nope. The obviousness of it, the emotion that it so nakedly was courting, just put me off in how blatant it was like "Hey, this is the SERIOUS and SAD part!".

And then the sheer stupidity of realizing that no one has been trying to use sound-based weapons against these creatures that are basically GIANT EARS makes the dad's death feel like a waste and calls the mechanics of that whole sequence into even sharper relief.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm
The thing is, Get Out is in no way a film that lives or dies purely by the surprises it contains. Many of them are easy to guess. The joy of Get Out is in the performances, the atmosphere, the sound design, and the visuals. I enjoyed it just as much (if not more) on a second viewing.

Were any of you actually surprised by that sequence? Because as soon as it started I was like, "Oh, okay, so now
the dad's going to die." Then for a second I thought that the girl might figure out the hearing aid thing, but nope. The obviousness of it, the emotion that it so nakedly was courting, just put me off in how blatant it was like "Hey, this is the SERIOUS and SAD part!".

And then the sheer stupidity of realizing that no one has been trying to use sound-based weapons against these creatures that are basically GIANT EARS makes the dad's death feel like a waste and calls the mechanics of that whole sequence into even sharper relief.
My parents have been trying to get me to see this one. They usually have good tastes (other films they've recommended to me were The Accountant and Baby Driver, both of which I dug).

As for Quiet Place, I think a second viewing might get me to think the film wasn't as good as I remembered. But while we're on the incident...
I was under the impression that the hearing aid thing was down for some reason. She had been using it a couple of times to get those creatures away from her and I thought maybe there was a cooling down period where it wouldn't work.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm
As for Quiet Place, I think a second viewing might get me to think the film wasn't as good as I remembered. But while we're on the incident...
I was under the impression that the hearing aid thing was down for some reason. She had been using it a couple of times to get those creatures away from her and I thought maybe there was a cooling down period where it wouldn't work.
But she isn't
deliberately using it to get them away from her. She's getting feedback through the hearing aid, and so she turns it down. We the audience know that it works, but she doesn't realize it until the final confrontation in the basement.

That was another script element that I found frustrating. We wait for SO LONG for her to realize the effect on the creatures.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 am

I liked the craft in A Quiet Place, but I found the movie settled too easily into a pattern of showing a potentially noisy object and having it go off without fail within the next few minutes.
The worst example was the nail in the stairs. I found it hard to believe that they'd been living there that long but didn't notice an upright nail in the middle of stairs that seemed to be used quite frequently until just that moment.
Wish I liked it more, but I wouldn't mind seeing Krasinski direct more horror.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 am
I liked the craft in A Quiet Place, but I found the movie settled too easily into a pattern of showing a potentially noisy object and having it go off without fail within the next few minutes.
The worst example was the nail in the stairs. I found it hard to believe that they'd been living there that long but didn't notice an upright nail in the middle of stairs that seemed to be used quite frequently until just that moment.
Wish I liked it more, but I wouldn't mind seeing Krasinski direct more horror.
Oh, I don't know. I've actually
stepped on exposed nails--including one that was protruding a good half inch on a staircase. That part was actually the most "Oh, that could be me" moment of the whole film. Remember: the nail isn't sticking up that much until the laundry bag catches on it. Suppose they did notice that the nail was sticking up a little. Either hammering it down or pulling it up (with a crowbar or hammer) could generate a ton of noise. Trust me: I like in a house with a history of some bad DIY work, and it's not uncommon to look down or nick my foot on something or feel my clothing catch on something and be like, "Wow--that is a nail!" and then have to hammer it down.

One time I was trying to break down a door, but it turned out that there were cinder blocks behind it so I juts sort of bounced off of the door, took a step backwards, and stepped onto an exposed nail sticking out of a board that I must have walked past a dozen times. Luckily my shoe took a good bit of the length of the nail, but it was shocking to see how long the nail was and realize I'd simply not noticed it.

On a different note: is anyone excited for Crawl? I can't decide if it looks like a good time or if it's probably too dumb to stay entertaining for a full 90 minutes.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 am

I'm either seeing Crawl Thursday or Friday. It had me at alligators. Then had me again at Aja.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 pm
But she isn't
deliberately using it to get them away from her. She's getting feedback through the hearing aid, and so she turns it down. We the audience know that it works, but she doesn't realize it until the final confrontation in the basement.

That was another script element that I found frustrating. We wait for SO LONG for her to realize the effect on the creatures.
So true.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 am
I'm either seeing Crawl Thursday or Friday. It had me at alligators. Then had me again at Aja.
Yup.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 am

Yeah Crawl looks like a lot of fun. I’m always torn whether I should see new horror movies by myself in the theater (since nobody I know likes them) or wait until October. Crawl and Midsommar are the latest in the conundrum.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:37 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 am
It just looks like fun.

Like some real goddamn fun.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 am
Yeah Crawl looks like a lot of fun. I’m always torn whether I should see new horror movies by myself in the theater (since nobody I know likes them) or wait until October. Crawl and Midsommar are the latest in the conundrum.
I'm in the same boat. Watch them in the theater by myself, or wait for a movie night with friends? I do think that I want to see Midsommar in the theater.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:37 am
It just looks like fun.

Like some real goddamn fun.
Did you also greatly enjoy Piranha 3D?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 am
I'm not DaMU, but I had quite a lot of fun with it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:01 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 am
I'm not DaMU, but I had quite a lot of fun with it.
I consider it among the great and few horror remakes that are better than the original. It scratches that trashy, exploitative cheesy fun itch in ways that are rarely scratched since the 80's.

Making that Spring Break assault a gory nightmare on par with Omaha Beach from Saving Private Ryan is one of the most hilariously twisted pieces of indulgent schlock in recent memory.

I think it might be my favorite from Aja. High Tension is clearly his "best" film but that ending is a hard pill to swallow.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:01 am
I consider it among the great and few horror remakes that are better than the original. It scratches that trashy, exploitative cheesy fun itch in ways that are rarely scratched since the 80's.

Making that Spring Break assault a gory nightmare on par with Omaha Beach from Saving Private Ryan is one of the most hilariously twisted pieces of indulgent schlock in recent memory.

I think it might be my favorite from Aja. High Tension is clearly his "best" film but that ending is a hard pill to swallow.
While I'm not typically drawn to monster/eco-horror movies which just go for mindless fun, this one reaches a level of cheese which is really hard to come by. There's a great dose of creativity/gore found throughout the film which remains addicting from beginning to end. I also agree that the whole blood bath sequence is quite a marvel to witness. I'll have to check out High Tension.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 am
While I'm not typically drawn to monster/eco-horror movies which just go for mindless fun, this one reaches a level of cheese which is really hard to come by. There's a great dose of creativity/gore found throughout the film which remains addicting from beginning to end. I also agree that the whole blood bath sequence is quite a marvel to witness. I'll have to check out High Tension.
I typed up a response but it got ate. The gist:

High Tension- great but brace for TERRIBLE ending
Horns and Hills Have Eyes- Stylish messes but enjoyable and better than average
Mirrors- Bad

Best Aja work is one he wrote and produced: Maniac remake. Similarly, P2 is also quite good.

I'm a fan overall.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am

High Tension- great but brace for TERRIBLE ending
Ya know it's funny, and I know we've talked about this before but, I don't even want to watch High Tension again because I had NO problem with the ending, at all, and therefore really, really liked the movie, and I'm worried if I watch it again whatever the problem with the ending is for everybody else is suddenly going to be revealed to me and I'm not gonna like the movie anymore.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Ya know it's funny, and I know we've talked about this before but, I don't even want to watch High Tension again because I had NO problem with the ending, at all, and therefore really, really liked the movie, and I'm worried if I watch it again whatever the problem with the ending is for everybody else is suddenly going to be revealed to me and I'm not gonna like the movie anymore.
To allay your fears...
There's a bookend at the beginning that that shows her as telling the story from the get go, so it's within that realm of Dr. Caligari unreliable narrator.
Softens the blow even if I'd rather it not have done it at all.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 am
Its gore went way too far for me, lingering as much as it did on the protracted suffering of innocent people (not just sudden violence, but suffering), but I appreciated its Tremors-like spirit and the game cast (esp. Jerry O'Connell, Ving Rhames, Adam Scott, and of course Christopher Lloyd). I wish Aja would've limited the carnage* and pursued more of a heightened Eight Legged Freaks / Gremlins horror-comedy attitude.

* I know, I know, it's a movie about piranhas, but we all have our boundaries, and the movie crossed mine often.

But I love the simplicity of this idea. It's a hurricane, now there's gators, good luck, hero.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 am

For any resident John Carpenter fans here...

Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 pm
I feel like it's enough of a twist-centric ending that it doesn't ruin what came before. You will probably still enjoy the movie.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 am

Also, I'm sort of with DaMU on Piranha 3D. I like some of the performances, but something about the balance felt off.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 am
Also, I'm sort of with DaMU on Piranha 3D. I like some of the performances, but something about the balance felt off.
I like the extremes in flavor. Severance is similar. There's something about going from something deeply silly to something more vicious than most films that would only go for the vicious that I find deeply appealing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 pm
To allay your fears...
There's a bookend at the beginning that that shows her as telling the story from the get go, so it's within that realm of Dr. Caligari unreliable narrator.
Softens the blow even if I'd rather it not have done it at all.
Yeah, I totally remember that from my first viewing, maybe partly why it didn't feel like it came outta nowhere to me.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am
I like the extremes in flavor. Severance is similar. There's something about going from something deeply silly to something more vicious than most films that would only go for the vicious that I find deeply appealing.
I think I'm open to that in concept, but I think there was a viciousness here that wasn't balanced often enough by either empathy or a sense of just desserts. A lot of the victims were anonymously shrill rather than being likable (so you feel bad about them getting killed) or memorably unpleasant (so you enjoy when they get killed). I also think the shitty soundtrack probably put me off more than anything.
Jerry O'Connell's death is definitely an exception to the above, however. That scene was a hoot.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 am
Jerry O'Connell's death is definitely an exception to the above, however. That scene was a hoot.
Completely agreed on this.
IIRC, his last words are "Wet t-shirt contest... wet t-shirt..."
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 am
I think I'm open to that in concept, but I think there was a viciousness here that wasn't balanced often enough by either empathy or a sense of just desserts. A lot of the victims were anonymously shrill rather than being likable (so you feel bad about them getting killed) or memorably unpleasant (so you enjoy when they get killed). I also think the shitty soundtrack probably put me off more than anything.
I think that appealed strongly to me specifically because it wasn't moralizing. The horror is brutal and unforgiving. In that regard, it also explains my fandom for the Blob remake. The puritanism or just general sense of moral superiority schlock horror seeks to provide so we don't feel bad watching murder has never truly sat right with me, so when a film is an equal opportunity brutalizer, it feels LESS compromised and upsetting to me.

I'd rather a film evicerate someone innocent for a gag than try to make me feel good that someone got their comuppance for being a douche to his girlfriend.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 am

I think I appreciate that in concept, but for me, a horror movie being unforgiving doesn't really resonate unless I have some empathy for the victims. (Less schlocky, but I'm thinking of the grisly violence in something like The Burning, which sketches out its characters more thoroughly than most slashers.) A lot of the victims here I find characterized as vaguely annoying and little more, so my reaction to their demise is more indifferent than I'd like.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 am
The puritanism or just general sense of moral superiority schlock horror seeks to provide so we don't feel bad watching murder has never truly sat right with me, so when a film is an equal opportunity brutalizer, it feels LESS compromised and upsetting to me.

I'd rather a film evicerate someone innocent for a gag than try to make me feel good that someone got their comuppance for being a douche to his girlfriend.
I get what you're saying (I've felt similarly about slashers over the years), but what really does it for me with Piranha 3D is, like I said, the degree to which Aja lingers on the violence and pain of the innocent people suffering. Dante did a bit of that in his original, and that didn't sit well with me either. Hell, I even have a bit of trouble watching the spoilered scene. In general, I view graphic violence in direct proportion to theme/messaging - the more realistically violent/cruel a movie gets, the more important it is to me that I'm watching for a reason beyond that excess, because my empathy-meter fills up quickly.

To me, the difference between a slasher and something like Piranha 3D is that the creature feature format makes the film necessarily more fantastical, at which point I'm taking the violence on a more figurative level anyway (like Rock says, "just desserts" and what have you), so bringing me back down to earth and rubbing my nose in graphic cruelty for the sake of verisimilitude doesn't feel morally "better." If this makes any sense, it feels like someone interrupting a campfire story to point out to me, "Just so we're clear, hook-handed murderers are violent terrible people, and their victims suffer lasting trauma."

None of that is to make a moral judgment of you or your watch habits, obviously. Just trying to explain where I'm coming from.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:26 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 am
I get what you're saying (I've felt similarly about slashers over the years), but what really does it for me with Piranha 3D is, like I said, the degree to which Aja lingers on the violence and pain of the innocent people suffering. Dante did a bit of that in his original, and that didn't sit well with me either. Hell, I even have a bit of trouble watching the spoilered scene. In general, I view graphic violence in direct proportion to theme/messaging - the more realistically violent/cruel a movie gets, the more important it is to me that I'm watching for a reason beyond that excess, because my empathy-meter fills up quickly.

To me, the difference between a slasher and something like Piranha 3D is that the creature feature format makes the film necessarily more fantastical, at which point I'm taking the violence on a more figurative level anyway (like Rock says, "just desserts" and what have you), so bringing me back down to earth and rubbing my nose in graphic cruelty for the sake of verisimilitude doesn't feel morally "better." If this makes any sense, it feels like someone interrupting a campfire story to point out to me, "Just so we're clear, hook-handed murderers are violent terrible people, and their victims suffer lasting trauma."

None of that is to make a moral judgment of you or your watch habits, obviously. Just trying to explain where I'm coming from.
I absolutely get it. And it took a rewatch of Severance for me to come around on that film and my criticisms sounded exactly like what you and Rock are saying.

I just wanted to explain why the prolonged shot of that poor girl slowly falling to pieces after she got Ghost Ship'd didn't turn me off the film, despite the contrast of tone vs. gore.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I don't think anyone's posted the new Larry Fessenden trailer. I'm not sure, but I got some good will left for th guy.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

I've been checking in on the Youtube Dick Cavett channel occasionally. They posted some good 1978 clips with De Palma and Scorsese a few months back. More recently they posted from the "Horror Masters" episode, which is basically a sit-down with Stephen King, George Romero, Ira Levin and Peter Straub in 1980. I'll stick the full episode from another channel here.

DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm
I don't think anyone's posted the new Larry Fessenden trailer. I'm not sure, but I got some good will left for th guy.

I'm probably one of a dozen people who enjoyed his monster-catfish lake movie Beneath. Don't know if he's ever really done better than Habit, though. (His Fear Itself episode "Skin + Bones" is good stuff, great work from Doug Jones.)
NOTE: