Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am

Had a great time with "Crawl." Fans of the Shallows will be quite happy as there's quite a bit of overlap and similarities, though it's not without Aja flourishes. Plus, Barry Pepper!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm
I've been checking in on the Youtube Dick Cavett channel occasionally. They posted some good 1978 clips with De Palma and Scorsese a few months back. More recently they posted from the "Horror Masters" episode, which is basically a sit-down with Stephen King, George Romero, Ira Levin and Peter Straub in 1980. I'll stick the full episode from another channel here.

I watched the DePalma/Scorsese ones. Funny that they were considered either equals or was DePalma (it seemed from the videos) actually the more revered of the two at the time (or did he just talk more game)?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Is Sleepaway Camp 2 actually worth my time?
I hate wasting my time on genuinely bad movies or at least bad movies without an upside.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am
Funny that they were considered either equals or was DePalma (it seemed from the videos) actually the more revered of the two at the time (or did he just talk more game)?
It's odd nowadays to think how unsuccessful Scorsese was. (Outside of Wolf of Wall Street, it stands to reason today.) DePalma, at that time, was considered the more successful filmmaker. Carrie far outgrossed Scorsese's films at the time, and The Fury, which DePalma was promoting in that clip, was given a more powerful studio push than any of Marty's films up to that point. Scorsese had the critics, and the critical momentum, but not the box office, and rarely was he able to balance both.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm
Is Sleepaway Camp 2 actually worth my time?
I hate wasting my time on genuinely bad movies or at least bad movies without an upside.
I watched it back in February for Thief's thread. Here's what I wrote:

A sequel: Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers

Well, it's been a lazy Sunday morning, that's for sure!

Since talking about any element of this film gives away the ending of the first movie, I'm just going to out the whole review in spoiler tags, but I won't be spoiling the film that I'm talking about (not that there's much to spoil!).
So at the end of the first Sleepaway Camp, we learn that Angela has been the killer all along and that she's mentally disturbed from the way that she was treated by her aunt after the death of her father and brother.

Where the sequel begins, Angela is out of the mental hospital and she's gotten herself a job at Camp Rolling Hills. There's no "is she the killer this time?" mystery. Within the first 5 minutes of running time she's dispatched a naughty camper who was *gasp* hanging out with boys and drinking. The film turns into Angela's increasingly wide net of who "deserves" to be killed, hacking, burning, and garroting her way through anyone that displays bad behavior.

I think that I'd have liked this film a bit more if it didn't have the spectre of the first film hanging over it. This isn't a bad film at all. In fact, I found it pretty funny and engaging. But frankly I did not care for what they did with the character of Angela. If this had been a stand-alone film, I would have actually really dug it. I just couldn't get over the completely different dynamic. This isn't a film where kills have meaning--it's a hack-and-slash, quippy slasher.

I did think that the film did a good job of having a relatable, likable character in camp attendee Molly. Everyone else is varying degrees of hateable. There's the queen bitch Ally, who constantly refers to Angela as "the dyke". There's TC, the counselor who looks at a picture of a topless teenager and remarks "Nice tits!". Valerie Hartman, who plays Ally, must have set a record for number of topless scenes. Her breasts are bared repeatedly, to the point where it's like "Why is this happening?". One of the things that I liked about the first film was that the kids actually looked like teens and pre-teens. The "teens" in this film are a weird mix of actual teens and then some 20-somethings who were hired to be the ones to take their shirts off. The need to keep showing the handful of 20-somethings topless kind of marred the film for me. The film isn't at all equitable with its nudity, and so it feels very director-pervy. In fact, Hartman had to film a sex scene with a stand-in because the person playing her hook-up was a minor at the time. I was delighted to find out that Valerie Hartman worked as a crew member on the third film, as a raccoon wrangler.
I wish this film wasn't part of the Sleepaway Camp universe. I would definitely have enjoyed it as a stand-alone. But with my fondness for the first film looming over it, this one couldn't quite compare. Still, Pamela's Springsteen's chipper slasher is a lot of fun.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am

I liked Sleepaway Camp and the second one. The third one sucks, though.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I caught Vampyr on TCM last week and I really liked it. For a movie that's not quite a silent movie and not quite a talkie and that came out in 1932, it's surprisingly visually inventive. From its unusual camera placements to its use of shadows, it does things that I've not only seen before, but also seem like they've been praised for being innovative in movies that use similar effects that came out much later, whether they are Citizen Kane or Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. They're also things I'd trade for all of the CGI hair follicles, CGI aging/de-aging or armies of millions of CGI soldiers in the world. All the same, and most importantly, the movie is as unsettling and creepy as you'd want a movie with the title of Vampyr to be.

With this and The Passion of Joan of Arc, Dreyer is two for two and 10/10 for 10/10 in my book. It's too bad the rest of his catalog is so inaccessible.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston, 1948)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm
With this and The Passion of Joan of Arc, Dreyer is two for two and 10/10 for 10/10 in my book. It's too bad the rest of his catalog is so inaccessible.
I don't know if you're limited by your region, but Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, is available to rent/buy on YouTube / Google Play / Apple / Vudu.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 pm
I don't know if you're limited by your region, but Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, is available to rent/buy on YouTube / Google Play / Apple / Vudu.
Murnau actually directed that one, but thanks for letting me know since it's been on my must-see list for a long time.
I think Dreyer's other must-see is Ordet, which is out of print on Criterion and not streaming anywhere. Bummer.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Murnau actually directed that one, but thanks for letting me know since it's been on my must-see list for a long time.
I think Dreyer's other must-see is Ordet, which is out of print on Criterion and not streaming anywhere. Bummer.
Oh goddamnit you're right. Me and my Monday morning brain.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:41 am

Braid had a LOT of flaws, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It gets a few extra points for being a female-centric, messed up story that is free of the usual pervy male gaze. And fortunately it wasn't quite as violent as I'd worried it might be based on the trailer I saw.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Multiple trusted sources warned me that The Predator was terrible but noooo I just had to see for myself, didn't I??
:(
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Multiple trusted sources warned me that The Predator was terrible but noooo I just had to see for myself, didn't I??
Worst wide release film because there's no reasonable excuse for how terrible it is and what it did to the franchise.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Is Master of the House no longer available? Not that it is quite at the same level as those other two, but...

Also I'd argue that Day of Wrath is pretty much mandatory as well, but if Ordet is OP, I'd imagine it is too.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm
Is Master of the House no longer available? Not that it is quite at the same level as those other two, but...

Also I'd argue that Day of Wrath is pretty much mandatory as well, but if Ordet is OP, I'd imagine it is too.
MoH is available. DoW is not.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Looks like Day of Wrath is on Apple. Sweet!
This gem also came up in my search. Every time you look for a movie, there's one with the same title starring Christopher Lambert.

Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Imagine a film where you have to rewind twice to actually see how the villain died.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Imagine a film where you have to rewind twice to actually see how the villain died.
And when you finally understand... It's still stupid.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:34 am

Dreyer's Michael, guys. C'mon. And Gertrud? Fantastic broad.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 am

Yeah, Vampyr is great.

*keeps mouth shut about Passion of Joan of Arc opinion*
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 am
*keeps mouth shut about Passion of Joan of Arc opinion*
If you're not a big fan, I wouldn't judge, but I'd also be curious to hear your perspective.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm
...when you finally understand... It's still stupid.
Slap this on the movie's poster and you got a tagline.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 am
If you're not a big fan, I wouldn't judge, but I'd also be curious to hear your perspective.
I'm gonna blame being drunk on being unable to expound on my opinion cogently at the moment (not that any other time I've talked about it has come off as less than unhinged), but I feel like the movie makes its point in a few minutes and proceeds to repeat the same handful of images (shouting, pointing, tears) ad nauseam.

Anyway, at least it's better than The Predator.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 am
I'm gonna blame being drunk on being unable to expound on my opinion cogently at the moment (not that any other time I've talked about it has come off as less than unhinged), but I feel like the movie makes its point in a few minutes and proceeds to repeat the same handful of images (shouting, pointing, tears) ad nauseam.
I get what you're saying. However, I found the repetition to be effective. I feel like if you were forced to make such a difficult decision like that, it would take much longer than a few minutes for you to come to a conclusion. I think the film did a good job of showing how the multiple attempts of the jurors to get her to abandon her beliefs caused her to show subtle changes throughout it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 am

Rock wrote:

Anyway, at least it's better than The Predator.
Falconetti's eyes render all criticism moot.

But it IS better than The Predator. And no matter how many films, or even if ALL other films make that statement true, it should always be stated to that Black and Dekker may one day learn shame.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 am

She was crying because they made her watch The Predator on repeat.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 am
She was crying because they made her watch The Predator on repeat.
It made her quit acting. That's why it's the only film she ever did.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm
I caught Vampyr on TCM last week and I really liked it. For a movie that's not quite a silent movie and not quite a talkie and that came out in 1932, it's surprisingly visually inventive. From its unusual camera placements to its use of shadows, it does things that I've not only seen before, but also seem like they've been praised for being innovative in movies that use similar effects that came out much later, whether they are Citizen Kane or Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. They're also things I'd trade for all of the CGI hair follicles, CGI aging/de-aging or armies of millions of CGI soldiers in the world. All the same, and most importantly, the movie is as unsettling and creepy as you'd want a movie with the title of Vampyr to be.

Vampyr will be playing at my local rep theater next month but without subtitles. Would I still gain enough from the experience without them?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Slentert wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm
Vampyr will be playing at my local rep theater next month but without subtitles. Would I still gain enough from the experience without them?
I think so. There's very little spoken dialogue. I'd say the movie is 60% silent and 40% talkie.
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Slentert wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm
My first VHS copy was so wretched that I couldn't even read the subtitles that were there and I became an immediate fan anyway. If you can enjoy mood and cinematography on their own then I definitely recommend a theater viewing. (I'm jealous, btw)
And like someone else already said, the plot is pretty basic anyway.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am
I get what you're saying. However, I found the repetition to be effective. I feel like if you were forced to make such a difficult decision like that, it would take much longer than a few minutes for you to come to a conclusion. I think the film did a good job of showing how the multiple attempts of the jurors to get her to abandon her beliefs caused her to show subtle changes throughout it.
Yes--it's about someone being ground down by others in a position of power. I found it really powerful to watch her waver between resolution and doubt.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah, all the narrative momentum that needs to be found in Passion is in the face of Falconetti. The power of the film is found in its repetitiveness. And how unrelenting the repetitiveness is. Just like it would be unfortunate to dismisss Jeanne Dielmann because one comes to a quick understanding that Dielmann is a maker of beds and a tidier of counter tops, the point isn't to figure that out and accept it through some kind of emotional shorthand, but instead be forced to bear witness to the routine over and over again. The routine should cripple the audience as well. That's how one can find the guts of that film. And, similarly, a film like Passion is all guts. It's stripped entirely down to an emotional essence. In terms of 'cinema' it's about as perfect as something can get.

Let the scolding of Rock continue.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Also, the discussion on Vampyr has inspired me to rewatch it tonight. I had a bit of difficulty getting into Dreyer, but since Passion of Joan of Arc blew me away, I think I'm ready to revisit some of his other films.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:37 pm
Also, the discussion on Vampyr has inspired me to rewatch it tonight. I had a bit of difficulty getting into Dreyer, but since Passion of Joan of Arc blew me away, I think I'm ready to revisit some of his other films.
Almost nothing is as good as Passion, but Vampyr makes a really good case to be considered. Lacks the raw power, but really is one of the greatest examples in movies of imaginatively sustaining a mood. Two of the best movies ever made.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm
Yeah, all the narrative momentum that needs to be found in Passion is in the face of Falconetti. The power of the film is found in its repetitiveness. And how unrelenting the repetitiveness is. Just like it would be unfortunate to dismisss Jeanne Dielmann because one comes to a quick understanding that Dielmann is a maker of beds and a tidier of counter tops, the point isn't to figure that out and accept it through some kind of emotional shorthand, but instead be forced to bear witness to the routine over and over again. The routine should cripple the audience as well. That's how one can find the guts of that film. And, similarly, a film like Passion is all guts. It's stripped entirely down to an emotional essence. In terms of 'cinema' it's about as perfect as something can get.

Let the scolding of Rock continue.
I felt like Joan watching that POS movie.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am
I felt like Joan watching that POS movie.
I feel like Joan reading your comments.

Now you'll feel like Joan reading that because I burned ya. Ya been burned.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 am
I feel like Joan reading your comments.

Now you'll feel like Joan reading that because I burned ya. Ya been burned.
*cries in close-up*
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 am

Anyways, Vampyr was great. Great way to spend the evening.

9/10
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am
Had a great time with "Crawl." Fans of the Shallows will be quite happy as there's quite a bit of overlap and similarities, though it's not without Aja flourishes. Plus, Barry Pepper!
Same! I've always had my issues with Aja, but I've never had a problem with his muscular, clear direction and eagerness to get dirty, and this film offers such a clean structure for his talents, and showcases some better-than-you-need work from the two leads, that it's easily my favorite of Aja's filmography. Just a deeply fun, good-natured mean-spirited creature feature. Exactly what I hoped for and sometimes a little more.

I cackled when
the eye of the hurricane passed over them (shit, the gators will hear us now) and five seconds later the levee alarms go off (oh, big wall of water incoming). YES. Throw all the garbage you can at the heroes.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:55 am

Rock wrote:
I can get that. I mean, I disagree that it's a problem, but that's very much what the film is.

Sidebar: I lent a copy of the movie to a friend of mine, and I forgot to tell him to play the "Voices of Light" soundtrack. Poor guy barely watches silent films anyway, and he soldiered through 40 or so minutes of total silence before he decided to check his audio options.
NOTE:
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am

I saw Vampyr on a local college cable channel years ago. The quality wasn't great but I still like it a lot as it is a fever pitched nightmare. All shot in stark black and white.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:10 am

I actually slightly prefer Midsommar over Hereditary.
I liked that this was more grounded in realism, and I loved that Aster choose to shoot most of the movie in stark, unforgiving daylight. Best damn remake of The Wicker Man, ever. Plus the dumb Americans bit recalls to mind Cannibal Holocaust. I even got Evil Dead and The Shining vibes. Yet in the end Aster fashions his own unique spin on things.
Also the bear part is funny. I am amused by how some folks can visit a country without knowing anything about the culture or the people. I would at least try to learn some of the language before going.

I really like A24, too. They support interesting and engaging horror and other genre films. Just because some don't, well, too bad cause they'll keep getting my money as long as their films come to my area.
Shitty Film Thread
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 am

I watched Kidnapping Stella because the way that the plot summary was written I thought it was about a woman with powers who was going to splatter her kidnappers all over the walls.

Nope.

It's actually an incredibly close German remake of The Disappearance of Alice Creed, but with slightly worse actors and uninteresting direction.

The only change it makes is to the very end, and it's dumb. It gets rid of the part where
the ex-boyfriend decides to leave her to die, but she then escapes with the help of the other guy. In this film, the ex-boyfriend saves her from the other guy, then nobly manages to get the keys to her before dying. Boo.

It totally does away with the toxicity of the triangle between the three characters.
Anyway, skip.

Oh, and also I sort of half-watched Q: The Winged Serpent, but I feel like I need to go back and give it a proper watch because maybe it was actually good? When I finally really started looking at the film I recognized that surreal, gritty New York from God Told Me To and immediately regretted that I'd only been half paying attention.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 am

Yeah, Q is good. Most of Cohen's 'major' films are worth paying attention to. Q is no God Told Me To though, so expectations should be kept in check.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:10 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 am
Yeah, Q is good. Most of Cohen's 'major' films are worth paying attention to. Q is no God Told Me To though, so expectations should be kept in check.
Yes, I could tell that it wasn't quite reaching the delirious heights of God Told Me To.

I've avoided it for a long time because I'm not so big on creature features, but once I started to actually tune into it, I could tell that there was a lot more going on.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:54 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 am
Q is no God Told Me To though, so expectations should be kept in check.
I showed my brother and father God Told Me To the last time I visited. They didn't like it. I'm 36 and live on my own and still want to legally emancipate.
NOTE:
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Cohen movies are fun and awesome. God Told Me To is probably his best.
Shitty Film Thread
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 pm

So, The Return of the Living Dead (1985)...best movie ever made? It's at least the most entertaining.
It's on Amazon Prime if you, like me, made the brainless move of waiting this long to see it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 pm
So, The Return of the Living Dead (1985)...best movie ever made? It's at least the most entertaining.
It's on Amazon Prime if you, like me, made the brainless move of waiting this long to see it.
I love it. I think it's cool that it manages to be both comedic and scary at the same time as both of these things are quite hard to pull off. Definitely somewhere in my top 5 zombie films.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:36 pm

I just watched Hereditary and emerged with the entirely unoriginal opinion that it was pretty great.

Also, I discovered that I knew nothing, NOTHING about this film and it was fantastic. Every little twist and turn in the plot was a total surprise to me.

My one quibble--the one thing that pulled me out of the narrative a bit--was the fact that in this world people do not know how to dial 911.

I've had several students with
serious food allergies. It's highly irregular that they are sent anywhere with food without an epipen, and the first thing you learn about a child with a serious allergy is that you always call 911 when there's an incident, even if you've successfully administered an epipen.

And then later when there's the incident in the classroom: I'm sorry, but when a child who is obviously depressed and traumatized has what looks like some combination of a seizure and self-harm, you do not send that person home with dad.
And as an extension of that point: it really bothered me that
Steve would bring Peter home. He so clearly needs in-patient psychiatric help, and yet Steve just brings him on back to a mother who has repeatedly upset and traumatized him. It was maybe the moment in the whole film that I felt most unbelievable.
I read a quote that said that the writer/director wanted to make a film about suffering that "took suffering seriously," and on that front I think that the film succeeds pretty marvelously. The well-realized family dynamics (bolstered by Collette's amazing performance) add a ton of depth to the story.