Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Slentert » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:48 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:12 am
As far as underrated zombie movies go, I'll vouch for The Grapes of Death and (if it counts) The Living Dead Girl from Jean Rollin. They low key atmosphere makes these feel distinct from most entries in the genre. I'm also tempted to vouch for the Spanish horror film Let Sleeping Corpses, but I haven't seen it in ages so I can't say how well it holds up.
In that case I also want to mention Train To Busan, not my favorite per se, but just a really good, really thrilling, really BIG zombie film.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 pm

I'm watching Cooties and I feel like it is just SQUANDERING a pretty fun cast.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:20 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 pm
I'm watching Cooties and I feel like it is just SQUANDERING a pretty fun cast.
Had the same reaction. Game cast, a few solid lines; there was one okay scene where Leigh Whannell was explaining zombie brain while everyone else tried to not barf.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:36 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:20 am
Had the same reaction. Game cast, a few solid lines; there was one okay scene where Leigh Whannell was explaining zombie brain while everyone else tried to not barf.
I finished it and, yeah, meh.

Also, it sort of
didn't have an ending? Did they just run out of money or something?
I had suspicions from the start, when the mom is critiquing the story and it almost seemed like lampshading, "The characters weren't likable."

The movie has five different writers or something, and that makes sense. The sensibility of the writing seems pretty inconsistent. I really laughed at lines like "I gave you an A in sex ed, Tamra. I'm disappointed you don't know what menses is." But other parts felt exposition heavy with very thinly sketched characters, and I was really underwhelmed by the whole "who gets the girl??" subplot.

Let's just say that I would never have guessed that this film involved strong contributions from the person who would go on to write/direct Upgrade.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:13 am

Yeah Cooties was disappointing, never quite hit the right tone.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 pm

There's a movie called "Cooties"?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 pm
There's a movie called "Cooties"?
Not only that, it has like 20,000 ratings on the IMDb, so it's also pretty widely seen?

I feel like I'd heard the name a while ago, and when I saw the cast I was really excited.

I am currently watching Kuroneko (it is paused, I'm not a heathen) and I will have many things to say when I'm done, but I am really, really liking it so far.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm

I am currently watching Kuroneko (it is paused, I'm not a heathen) and I will have many things to say when I'm done, but I am really, really liking it so far.
Most relaxing horror film ever made.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm
Not only that, it has like 20,000 ratings on the IMDb, so it's also pretty widely seen?
Sounds....contagious.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 pm

The Love Witch - 9/10

Easily the best witch film of the decade. Eggers and Guadagnino can't help the fact that they are men, but they have the obligation to submit.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:09 pm

Kuroneko was a lovely little thing--just a beautiful mix of horror, action, romance, and drama. I have literally zero complaints about it.

Things I loved:

1) The stage-play-like nature of the setting, with these very purposeful vertical lines that either came from the structures or from the trees of the forest, and the way that the structures interchange with the forest. It made me think of the sequence in Where the Wild Things Are (book, not film) where the bedroom is slowly transformed into the wild place.

2) Maybe one of my favorite uses of black and white ever? The white, fluttering ghosts gliding through the air. The almost isolated shots of the samurai riding on their horses. The black of night and the white of the snow. The whole thing is dreamy.

3) Conflict driven by three legitimate, but conflicting, points of view. I think that it's rare in films that portray some sort of conflict within a marriage as not being the fault of one of the parties. But in this film I felt deeply for Yone, Shige, and Gintoki. They are all experiencing a different kind of pain, and they are all choosing to cope with it in a different way. I felt admiration for all of them and I felt frustrated by all of them at different points in the story. The real villain, Raiko (the commander), is defined primarily by his total lack of empathy. It's nice to see a film where emotions don't make a man weak and neither do they make women crazy shrews.

4) Regarding the ending and the final act in general: I quite liked that there was
no real resolution. At first I thought that the women might find one of the men who attacked them (possibly that first man who enters the house), but we see in little moments through the film that their fear and abuse are not outliers. When that first samurai says "We get to take whatever we want", you realize that the revenge must be bigger than just the men who attacked them. It's not just those men who are corrupt: it's the whole structure of warfare and the way that it brutalizes the defenseless--even when they are the people who are supposedly being protected. That final noise of the cat over Gintoki's body makes you wonder if it's the sound of his mother, or if he himself might want revenge.
I hadn't realized until looking it up just now that this is the same director who made Onibaba, but that makes a lot of sense. (Also, the director lived to be 100 years old!).

Just generally speaking I thought that this was an excellent film. Sadly, I thought that the themes about classism are still relevant today, with Raiko's proclamation that "The weak always starve" sounding a lot like how some people today speak about those who are disadvantaged. I loved how he was like "I don't understand how anyone could hate samurai" then two seconds later, "Peasants? Psshhh! I mean, they're barely human" then two seconds later, "Yeah, I just don't understand how anyone wouldn't love us." In many ways, the film has a strong anti-war current running through it: the hollow nature of the "honor" of soldiers, the abuse of the powerless by men who feel empowered to take what they want, the corruption of the leadership, etc.

I will DEFINITELY keep an eye out for this one on the big screen.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 am

Thank goodness for Larry Cohen (R.I.P.), Robert Z'Dar (R.I.P.), the lovely Claudia Christian and everyone else involved with Maniac Cop 2. I think Cohen is on the same level as John Carpenter when it comes to delivering lean and mean genre thrills. It's not as good as the first one, mostly because the plot is less interesting and more predictable. All the same, with its arguably better action set pieces and deeper cast - besides Christian, I loved to hate Leo Rossi's bearded sleazoid - it's a damn fine sequel.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:35 am

Watched Hereditary with my sister and brother-in-law today (their first time watching, my second).

This time around I definitely had more appreciation for the craft on hand (their TV is . . . a lot nicer than mine), and I noticed things that I literally did not see the first time around.

I found that my objections to the elements I discussed before remained--partly amplified by the fact that those things bothered them as well (Them: "Is anyone going to call 911?"; Me: "Spoiler alert--no one in this movie knows how to dial 911"). It's a fun film to watch with someone who is seeing it for the first time. Waiting for the different "big moments" made me very aware of how well paced it is as a story, and the different distinct acts.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:09 am

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 am
Thank goodness for Larry Cohen (R.I.P.), Robert Z'Dar (R.I.P.), the lovely Claudia Christian and everyone else involved with Maniac Cop 2. I think Cohen is on the same level as John Carpenter when it comes to delivering lean and mean genre thrills. It's not as good as the first one, mostly because the plot is less interesting and more predictable. All the same, with its arguably better action set pieces and deeper cast - besides Christian, I loved to hate Leo Rossi's bearded sleazoid - it's a damn fine sequel.
I’m gonna to credit Lustig for that and not Cohen. It agreed Lustig being Carpenter-esque.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:47 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 pm
The Love Witch - 9/10

Easily the best witch film of the decade. Eggers and Guadagnino can't help the fact that they are men, but they have the obligation to submit.
The Love Witch is better than The VVitch?!
Shit, I'm gonna have to give it another shot.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:55 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:47 am
The Love Witch is better than The VVitch?!
Certainly more fun, but I would also argue that it's a more accurate representation of what witchcraft actually is, as opposed to the hysterical superstitions.

The VVitch, in this way, tries to have it both ways - a critique of the puritanical misogyny behind these superstitions while also indulging in the presumption of the reality of these projected fears. That incoherency has always been my main gripe with the film. Obviously Love Witch, for all of its lovingly sincere devotion to the late-60s panache, doesn't have the atmospheric strength of imposing dread that The VVitch does, so the latter can be seen as a superior horror film. Love Witch frankly is not particularly concerned with frightening the audience. But the film, as presenting "the witch" as a fundamental product of female sexual empowerment (making its sexual revolution setting more pungent), as a solvent of patriarchal privilege, and as a foil of exactly the kinds of phobias which VVitch, intentionally or not, winds up reinforcing, provides a more satisfying and scathing indictment over the entire endeavour, for both the witch herself (as a naive, narcissitic nymph) and the preciously arrogant pretentions of the men unraveled by her.

It's a much smarter film, I guess is what I'm saying.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 am

Hell, I think Paranorman is a better witch movie than The Witch.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:18 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 am
Not a big fan of A24's Horror stuff either, huh?

:shifty:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:02 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:18 am
Not a big fan of A24's Horror stuff either, huh?

:shifty:
It all depends. They produced Under the Skin and Green Room, which are both fantastic, amazing, superb, more adjectives, and so on. Seriously, rewatched Green Room again recently, and great googily moogily, it's a masterpiece of tension and form and narrative rug-pulls.

And despite issues I might have, I would never call Hereditary, The Witch, or Midsommar bad movies. IMO, they're all good films with some sequences of remarkable craft and human insight. There are elements of them that rub me the wrong way, but I'd say all of them are worth watching. (The only other A24 horror I've seen is The Blackcoat's Daughter, which didn't capture my imagination.)

Maybe we can reframe this more as I really loved Paranorman. :)
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 am

A24 is wonderful for the most part. They’re a better indicator that I will at least find the film interesting, which is often all I ask at this point. They did Under the Silver Lake wrong though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 am
Yuck.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:58 pm

A24 has produced some of my favorite films from this decade.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 am
Yuck.
Don't yuck my yums, brah.
NOTE:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm
It's childish, and everyone's too busy trying to find a local screening for the new Tarantino, but this is the kind of word game that I foolishly get sucked into.

Here's some offshoot slang, followed by helpful translations:

"Don't tuck my tums" (Give me space; Let me enjoy my meal)

"Don't duck my dums" (Don't condescend to me)

"Don't nuck my nums" (I'm high enough, thanks)

"Don't buck my bums" (Use protection; Show compassion)

"Don't suck my sums" (Don't diminish my accomplishments)

"Don't cuck my cums" (Respect my privacy)

"Don't guck my gums" (Take a cooking and/or kissing class)

"Don't ruck my rums" (Drink responsibly)

I blame DaMU entirely for this unfortunate distraction.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm
Sorry.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 am
It's childish, and everyone's too busy trying to find a local screening for the new Tarantino, but this is the kind of word game that I foolishly get sucked into.

Don't suck my thumbs? (Don't take the comforts that are mine?)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 am
Don't suck my thumbs? (Don't take the comforts that are mine?)
Don't thuck my thums (Stop making fun of my lisp)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:40 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 am

I'm waiting for the New Bev screenings to open up (they're all sold out). Out of these, I think "Don't suck my sums" has real potential. I'd volunteer:

"Don't muck my mums." (Don't drag my mother's name through the dirt, if you're gonna come at me, come at me proper.)
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 am

Millennial (and I guess zenial) slang fascinates me. "Yuck my yums" is one of those bits. "Kink-shame." The most recent one I've heard is "iconic" instead of "awesome." Girl, that was iconic. On the way out but still pretty common is variations of "tea." What's the tea? Spill the tea. Share the tea. (All: what's the hot gossip?)
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am

I think I'd have to revisit The Love Witch. I don't remember much of it which is generally not a great sign, but looking back at the review I wrote a year ago I apparently really liked it:
I thought that this movie was really funny.

The story follows Elaine, a woman searching for love by unabashedly using magic spells to make men fall for her. Elaine sincerely believes that she has cracked the code and figured men out (the gist is to use sex to "unlock" their love), but her various affairs tend to end poorly for the men involved.

There were two elements that I really enjoyed in this film.

The first was the way that Elaine goes about trying to find love. Both men and women are often fed advice (think women's magazines, or pick-up artist types) that purport to understand how the other sex works and offer shortcuts to the desired love/sex. Elaine's understanding is that a woman should be a man's fantasy, and as he gets the sex and uncritical adoration that he desires, it will unlock his love. This simplistic view of men is actually pretty clever in the context of the film. Even as the film is full of men who objectify women, Elaine's insistence on seeing men as all the same (basically as overgrown children) forms an unhealthy foundation for all of her doomed relationships.

The second is the implicit criticism of pseudo-feminist rhetoric. In one of the best scenes, a male witch describes matter of factly the fact that a woman's power lies in her sexuality, and thus she must harness her sexuality to be powerful by wearing make-up and sexy clothes and showing off a lot of skin and . . . hmm. As he describes this route to power, the film intercuts to a woman doing a sexy striptease on the stage at the club where they are drinking. Conveniently, this version of feminism also involves the male witch (a very average-looking middle aged man) greeting women by kissing their legs, stomachs, breasts, and mouths, and a "worship" ritual in which the woman's body is the altar and her power is worshiped by the male witch--oh, go on--see if you can guess how the male witch worships the woman's body.

While the film is mostly intentionally very silly, there are a few cutting undertones. In the beginning voiceover, Elaine cheerily recounts her therapist telling her that she's normal, and that lots of people suffer abuse and go on to live decent lives. We hear horrible verbal abuse from Elaine's father. In another voiceover flashback, we hear Elaine's ex-husband criticizing her for cooking dinner too late and not keeping the house clean enough. Elaine wants love, but the power dynamics of a romantic relationship lead her either to a feeling of helplessness or to a feeling of disgust.

I haven't gone anywhere to read reviews of this one yet. There are several style elements (stilted dialogue, "bad" acting, strange zooms/angles, intentional anachronisms, etc) that I could see annoying or putting people off. But I liked it. I loved the vivid colors and the costuming. The director, Anna Biller, had an insanely heavy hand in the making of this film. Her credits include: writing, directing, editing, producing, music, production design, art direction, set decoration, and costume design. Like it or not, this is Biller's film from top to bottom.

I can totally see this being a love-it-or-hate-it, and I'm in the former camp.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:05 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am
Even as the film is full of men who objectify women, Elaine's insistence on seeing men as all the same (basically as overgrown children) forms an unhealthy foundation for all of her doomed relationships.
I agree, and this is what I mean about balancing out the critique for the men, obviously, but without letting Elaine's own stunted sexual expectations off the hook.

Takoma1 wrote:
The second is the implicit criticism of pseudo-feminist rhetoric. In one of the best scenes, a male witch describes matter of factly the fact that a woman's power lies in her sexuality, and thus she must harness her sexuality to be powerful by wearing make-up and sexy clothes and showing off a lot of skin and . . . hmm.
This reminds me of the Key & Peele sketch with Mother Majesty, promoting garish sexuality as female empowerment as is currently embodied in pop celebrity culture (Miley, Katy, the Kardashians, etc.). "Pimping our instincts", as George Clinton put it. It's a rather insidious form of exploitation.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I think I'd have to revisit The Love Witch. I don't remember much of it which is generally not a great sign, but looking back at the review I wrote a year ago I apparently really liked it:
Yeah, that's funny, when he mentioned it, I specifically thought of you, you're the one who introduced the film around here as far as I remembered.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
The Criterion Channel has a bunch of Biller's earlier work, if you're interested. I think I enjoyed Viva more than TLW, although it may have benefited from being the first one I watched. On that one she adds "lead actress" to her long list of job titles.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Wasn't there some Midsommor discussion around here? I'm sure I remember seeing some but now can't find it. What are the thoughts because that shit needs to be discussed lots.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:01 pm
Wasn't there some Midsommor discussion around here? I'm sure I remember seeing some but now can't find it. What are the thoughts because that shit needs to be discussed lots.
I was surprised not to see more, seemed like only a few people saw it, there was some discussion about it vs. Hereditary maybe, and there was more discussion of Hereditary. Somewhere around here.
I haven't seen it yet, but I really was interested to hear what more people had to say.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm
I was surprised not to see more, seemed like only a few people saw it, there was some discussion about it vs. Hereditary maybe, and there was more discussion of Hereditary. Somewhere around here.
I haven't seen it yet, but I really was interested to hear what more people had to say.
Maybe it was just the Hereditary talk I was seeing.

I feel this one is likely to be even more divisive than that. There are pretty valid criticisms for both sides, but ultimately, I think it is pretty great. I think Hereditary was more immediately rewarding, while Midsommor has been creeping slowly up on me. Kind of like how the whole structure of the movie unfolds. It's a movie that is worth seeing even if one ends up hating it. And lots of people will hate this.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
page 64
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I've been singing Midsommar's praise since I walked out the theater opening day.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm
I highly recommend it, but strongly suggest that you NOT bring a date. :shifty:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Are we going to have to start wearing bells around here?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:33 pm

I mean, I already expressed the correct opinion, so we're pretty much done here.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:34 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:33 pm
I mean, I already expressed the correct opinion, so we're pretty much done here.
I do recall you quoting me in a response, so this man is technically right. Respect him.

But respect me more.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm
I highly recommend it, but strongly suggest that you NOT bring a date. :shifty:
Good tip.
Honestly, I haven't brought a date to a movie in ages though. Rarely meet people with good taste in movies. Last one I went to a movie with, we saw Dracula ('31) on the big-screen. She loved it. She's rich too. Mighta shoulda married her.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am
Good tip.
Honestly, I haven't brought a date to a movie in ages though. Rarely meet people with good taste in movies. Last one I went to a movie with, we saw Dracula ('31) on the big-screen. She loved it. She's rich too. Mighta shoulda married her.
A keeper loves Bride of Frankenstein.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am
A keeper loves Bride of Frankenstein.
Ha!
So true.
But alas, we did not get to see it together.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:19 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 am
Ha!
So true.
But alas, we did not get to see it together.
She would’ve hated it. You’re better off without her. I got your back, fam.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:19 am
She would’ve hated it. You’re better off without her. I got your back, fam.
Thanks, man.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:58 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 pm
Are we going to have to start wearing bells around here?

Pictured: Janson
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:34 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:58 am

Pictured: Janson
Wouldst thou like to live wrong about Midsommar?