Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:42 am
Right, because this whole time we've all been posting fully clothed. :shifty:

Have you guys all seen Baba Yaga? I thought it was kind of dumb (and maybe a bit racist?), but it certainly had its moments.
I have never posted on this forum in anything but my birthday suit.

I liked Baba Yaga but mostly just for the visual flair. It's why I like Rollin and am always accused here of being into Eurosleaze and love Lemora and really enjoyed Messiah Of Evil. I'm not ever sure what any of the movies are about, if they're about anything, but the visual style and mood always pulls me in and keeps me. So, yeah, Baba Yaga was like a slightly more comprehensible Lips Of Blood or such to me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:56 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:47 am
Baba Yaga the Italian film based on the French comic Valentina? Yeah. I dug it but couldn't help but wish Edwidge Fenech or Nieves Navarro had the lead role. It had me try to track down the comics only to discover they're all horribly OOP.
Yeah. I was also interested in the comics (And a few comments I read about ways that the film departs from the source material).
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Besides not being a big fan of Hereditary, I'm still excited to see Midsommar (which only got released in my country last week). I really want to see The Golden Glove, Fatih Akin's supposedly very gnarly serial killer movie as well. But lately I have a hard time leaving the house to go see something new knowing I could use that time and money to go see something older instead. A 4k restoration of Tarkovsky's Solaris has just been released in theaters here, so of course that one has top priority now.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Fell asleep before finishing The Endless last night. About 2/3 of the way through, after
the looping has been revealed.
Clever lil flick so far, admire its low-budget efforts at creating unease, most of which work. The birds circling, and also new elements entering the frame when a character looks away and then looks back.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 am
We should all post in the nude tonight.
I think y'all be grateful that I keep my clothes on when I post. It's for the best... :up:
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 am
Also, no sex in TDR? I didn't get a good look at Sid Haig's balls without their being explicit, gratuitous sex and nudity in that film. One girl spends half the movie naked after having been ripped out of the shower, another gets stripped and molested with a gun, there's the entire detour into a whorehouse and I think I can draw Sherri Moon Zombies behind from memory at this point.
Stand corrected on the Sid Haig scene.

That one girl from the shower only counts as sexy if you also found that one girl fighting for her life in the modern My Bloody Valentine as sexy.

The gun sequence is just not sexy. It's more creepy than anything.

Wasn't the whole point of the whorehouse sequence to have several characters hide out from the cops? Not really seeing the sexiness in that.

What's your point on Sherri? Rob is just displaying her best asset in his films (which isn't acting).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Stand corrected on the Sid Haig scene.

That one girl from the shower only counts as sexy if you also found that one girl fighting for her life in the modern My Bloody Valentine as sexy.

The gun sequence is just not sexy. It's more creepy than anything.

Wasn't the whole point of the whorehouse sequence to have several characters hide out from the cops? Not really seeing the sexiness in that.

What's your point on Sherri? Rob is just displaying her best asset in his films (which isn't acting).
What the hell "grindhouse films" are you watching where you think "sexy" is a pre-requisite? Nudity and any means to get it on screen (usually sexual violence and showers), both of which are present.

You're talking a mess load of nonsense, mate.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 pm
Fell asleep before finishing The Endless last night. About 2/3 of the way through, after
the looping has been revealed.
Clever lil flick so far, admire its low-budget efforts at creating unease, most of which work. The birds circling, and also new elements entering the frame when a character looks away and then looks back.
Liked the last third too! The flick doesn't move too far outside what its budget allows, but even then it features some moments of real imagination, creepiness, and surprise. Best part is that the central fraternal relationship feels honest, which carries through to the very end.

Recommended, although I'm sure many of you have already seen.

If you have,
boy, I feel really really bad for that one dude stuck in the tent who keeps trying to escape the tent before the Entity explodes him and rebuilds him. That's a real stinker of a life.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 am

The Endless was made by the same people who made both Resolution and Spring, and thus I am excited to see it.

However (and you need not confirm/deny this), even the cover makes me think it's going to have a sad/downer ending, so I've been putting off watching it. Soon, though. Soon.

I am rewatching Stargate while I do my online training for work. Its look is SO 90s--every scene inside has sort of a hazy, smokey look. The scene of the little robot going through the Stargate for the first time is still neat, though.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:20 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 am
The Endless was made by the same people who made both Resolution and Spring, and thus I am excited to see it.

However (and you need not confirm/deny this), even the cover makes me think it's going to have a sad/downer ending, so I've been putting off watching it. Soon, though. Soon.
I'm going to spoiler this, but all that is contained within the spoiler is the answer to the question: does The Endless have a downer ending?
It does not have a downer ending.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:20 am
I'm going to spoiler this, but all that is contained within the spoiler is the answer to the question: does The Endless have a downer ending?
It does not have a downer ending.
Ah--I could not resist!

I appreciate the heads up.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 am
Liked the last third too! The flick doesn't move too far outside what its budget allows, but even then it features some moments of real imagination, creepiness, and surprise. Best part is that the central fraternal relationship feels honest, which carries through to the very end.

Recommended, although I'm sure many of you have already seen.

If you have,
boy, I feel really really bad for that one dude stuck in the tent who keeps trying to escape the tent before the Entity explodes him and rebuilds him. That's a real stinker of a life.
I also really enjoyed it, I still need to see the directors other films which I understand have pretty similar appeal. I always appreciate genre films that take the time to have relationships that feel genuine and building off the brothers dynamic definitely helps keep the film moving forward
or is that moving in circles
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 am

daakmore wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm
I also really enjoyed it, I still need to see the directors other films which I understand have pretty similar appeal.
I will definitely put in a strong word for Resolution.

Does the smaller budget show in places? Yeah. But it does things with the structure of the film that are really interesting and I will always applaud a film that has a final act that (1) it totally earns with what came before it and (2) I did not see coming at all.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 am
I am rewatching Stargate while I do my online training for work. Its look is SO 90s--every scene inside has sort of a hazy, smokey look. The scene of the little robot going through the Stargate for the first time is still neat, though.
There were a few weeks in middle school where I thought this was the coolest movie ever. I'll always have a soft spot for it. Emmerich knows how to stage a coherent, exciting action sequence and the Egyptian elements give it a bit more grandeur than the average '90s actioner.

Speaking of Emmerich, has anyone here seen Moon 44? The 5/10 on IMDb isn't encouraging, but the screenshots I've seen of it look pretty nice (a Blade Runner meets Aliens aesthetic) and I'm pretty lenient on dumb action movies that look pretty (see above) so I'm willing to give it a chance if I can track it down.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 am
There were a few weeks in middle school where I thought this was the coolest movie ever. I'll always have a soft spot for it. Emmerich knows how to stage a coherent, exciting action sequence and the Egyptian elements give it a bit more grandeur than the average '90s actioner.
I remember that we somehow were shown this film in school. I do not know how or why--because there were hieroglyphs?

My memory of the film held pretty true--namely that it's pretty strong in the first half, but then gets sort of weird and incoherent in the last half. I wanted a better understanding, for example, of the guards. They aren't aliens, so what's their deal? The more cliched elements (like that romantic subplot, blah) popped out a bit more to me this time.

I also have to admit that I never understood the alien's objective. Yes, the people are mining the material for the Stargate, but the Stargate is made of something not found on Earth. But didn't they start out on Earth?

Also, watching it with adult eyes, there's not really much acting from either Spader or Russell. And what acting there is then gets undercut by exposition. Like we see Russell in a child's bedroom looking super depressed, staring at a photo of his son. We get it. But then we are given a scene in which two soldier in a car are like "So what's the deal with the Captain?" "Oh, well his son died." How would the people who have been specifically sent to deal with the guy not know this? It's very silly.

Despite these complaints I'm happy to keep this one on the docket of "things to watch at midnight when I'm restless and a little nostalgic." Right there next to Predator and Ladyhawke.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 am
Despite these complaints I'm happy to keep this one on the docket of "things to watch at midnight when I'm restless and a little nostalgic." Right there next to Predator and Ladyhawke.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You be nice to Ladyhawke.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 am
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You be nice to Ladyhawke.
I really like Ladyhawke (and Predator!). That's why they're on the docket!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 am
I really like Ladyhawke (and Predator!). That's why they're on the docket!
Oh, ok, I thought you were saying these were movies only good enough to watch at midnight while restless and nostalgic as opposed to these are good movies to scratch that itch. My bad. Please proceed.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:59 pm
Oh, ok, I thought you were saying these were movies only good enough to watch at midnight while restless and nostalgic as opposed to these are good movies to scratch that itch. My bad. Please proceed.
My midnight movie watching consists of feel-good favorites (like Predators or Hot Fuzz or Kung Fu Hustle) and "Yeah, it's good enough" flicks. Stargate falls into the latter category, Ladyhawke is more the former.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:23 am

I'll write more of a review of it in Thief's thread, but I just finished A Clown at Midnight.

Essential background: a young woman and her friends are terrorized while cleaning up an old opera house where the main character's mother was murdered years and years ago.

So toward the end, the killer advances on the main character. She screams, "GET AWAY FROM ME!!!!" and he goes "Ah, you're so much like your mother."

I'm not sure if that was intended to be funny, but I thought it was hilarious. "Ah, yes! Your screams of terror--I see where you got those from!"
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:00 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm
I think y'all be grateful that I keep my clothes on when I post. It's for the best... :up:
Nah, man, let ya freak-flag fly! High!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:02 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 pm
My midnight movie watching consists of feel-good favorites (like Predators or Hot Fuzz or Kung Fu Hustle) and "Yeah, it's good enough" flicks. Stargate falls into the latter category, Ladyhawke is more the former.
I went back to Ladyhawke a couple years ago and, while I can't say I loved it the way I did when it came out, there was still quite a bit to like.
I miss the career Rutger Hauer should have had.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:23 am
I'll write more of a review of it in Thief's thread, but I just finished A Clown at Midnight.

Essential background: a young woman and her friends are terrorized while cleaning up an old opera house where the main character's mother was murdered years and years ago.

So toward the end, the killer advances on the main character. She screams, "GET AWAY FROM ME!!!!" and he goes "Ah, you're so much like your mother."

I'm not sure if that was intended to be funny, but I thought it was hilarious. "Ah, yes! Your screams of terror--I see where you got those from!"
Ha! I have no context for this having not seen the movie, but you actually made me chuckle out loud.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:03 am
Ha! I have no context for this having not seen the movie, but you actually made me chuckle out loud.
It mostly made me laugh because I didn't think it was intentional.

The same character later screams: "Why is it that when women become artists they make such BAD DECISIONS?!?!?!?!"

Like, who wrote this movie? And how self-aware were they?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 am

Halfway through 1922, hope to finish it tomorrow and then watch Gerald's Game. Mostly surprised that someone even tried to make a compelling film out of King's sort of Poe/Lovecraft-derived period piece "southern Gothic" (technically Nebraska (technically Hemingford (home of Mother Abigail from The Stand))). Or that they trusted Thomas Jane's thicker-than-syrup rural accent that's always just on the verge of turning him into Ernest P. Worrell (the Uncanny Varney?).

But it's working.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:57 am

The issues I have with Gerald's Game lie in its opening and ending. Fortunately, everything else in it is really good.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:57 am
The issues I have with Gerald's Game lie in its opening and ending. Fortunately, everything else in it is really good.
While the ending felt a tad tacked on melodrama, I appreciated the thematic purpose it was there. I don't recall having an issue with the opening. What I do recall is that Gugino was given the opportunity to show off her legit acting chops and blew me away. That coupled with Flanagan proving he's a terribly solid Workman director, I consider it among the very best King adaptations.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 am
While the ending felt a tad tacked on melodrama, I appreciated the thematic purpose it was there. I don't recall having an issue with the opening. What I do recall is that Gugino was given the opportunity to show off her legit acting chops and blew me away. That coupled with Flanagan proving he's a terribly solid Workman director, I consider it among the very best King adaptations.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but from what I remember, I felt the ending dragged a bit. I also thought the scene of Jessie approaching Joubert at the end felt really schmaltzy. I get she was no longer afraid of him at that point in the film. I was just hoping for the film to find a way to represent it that wasn't as awkward to watch.

As for the intro, I was hoping for the film to come up with a better reason for how the dog got in the house. I had a bit of difficulty believing that Gerald would leave the door wide open. Granted, not many people lived out there, but considering that he was going to force himself on her, I figured he'd have enough sense to close it for that reason.
Although, considering the film as a whole, I thought it was probably the best King adaptation since The Mist as everything else in it more than makes up for these missteps. And yeah, Gugino was awesome.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am
It's been a while since I've seen it, but from what I remember, I felt the ending dragged a bit. I also thought the scene of Jessie approaching Joubert at the end felt really schmaltzy. I get she was no longer afraid of him at that point in the film. I was just hoping for the film to find a way to represent it that wasn't as awkward to watch.

As for the intro, I was hoping for the film to come up with a better reason for how the dog got in the house. I had a bit of difficulty believing that Gerald would leave the door wide open. Granted, not many people lived out there, but considering that he was going to force himself on her, I figured he'd have enough sense to close it for that reason.
Although, considering the film as a whole, I thought it was probably the best King adaptation since The Mist as everything else in it more than makes up for these missteps. And yeah, Gugino was awesome.
I really liked Gerald's Game. I didn't mind the end, but I did feel like it wasn't necessary.

As for the beginning,
leaving the door opened bothered me SO MUCH! Among other things, it seemed like she noticed it and, given that she was uncomfortable with what was happening, it would have been an easy way for her to stall going into the bedroom.

Her letting him handcuff her to the bed was tremendously "NOOOOOOO!" for me. Like, I understood that she was trying to be game, but the idea of putting oneself in such a vulnerable position with someone behaving kind of erratically . . . my whole body was cringing.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 pm
I really liked Gerald's Game. I didn't mind the end, but I did feel like it wasn't necessary.

As for the beginning,
leaving the door opened bothered me SO MUCH! Among other things, it seemed like she noticed it and, given that she was uncomfortable with what was happening, it would have been an easy way for her to stall going into the bedroom.

Her letting him handcuff her to the bed was tremendously "NOOOOOOO!" for me. Like, I understood that she was trying to be game, but the idea of putting oneself in such a vulnerable position with someone behaving kind of erratically . . . my whole body was cringing.
I don't remember having an issue with the handcuff scene. Although, I was really unnerved during it. I didn't know a lot about the film nor King's novel going into it and for a second, I thought she was about to get raped.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 pm
I don't remember having an issue with the handcuff scene. Although, I was really unnerved during it. I didn't know a lot about the film nor King's novel going into it and for a second, I thought she was about to get raped.
Letting someone
tie you up/handcuff you requires an implicit level of trust. It's really clear that she's uncomfortable with what is happening. So him cuffing her is unnerving on two fronts: (1) She clearly doesn't really want it to happen and (2) he is completely ignoring her discomfort. Those things combined made it really horrible to watch it happen. Being restrained by someone who doesn't care about how you are feeling or what you want is a nightmare scenario. The foundation of any kind of sex/sexual play is consent, and he clearly doesn't care whether or not she wants him to do what he's doing. The fact that he springs his rape fantasy on her after she's tied up speaks to this.

I'm not saying that it's unrealistic. He's guilt tripped her and she's trying to go along with things and keep the peace, and so she clearly does something she's uncomfortable with in the spirit of being a giving partner.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 pm
Letting someone
tie you up/handcuff you requires an implicit level of trust. It's really clear that she's uncomfortable with what is happening. So him cuffing her is unnerving on two fronts: (1) She clearly doesn't really want it to happen and (2) he is completely ignoring her discomfort. Those things combined made it really horrible to watch it happen. Being restrained by someone who doesn't care about how you are feeling or what you want is a nightmare scenario. The foundation of any kind of sex/sexual play is consent, and he clearly doesn't care whether or not she wants him to do what he's doing. The fact that he springs his rape fantasy on her after she's tied up speaks to this.

I'm not saying that it's unrealistic. He's guilt tripped her and she's trying to go along with things and keep the peace, and so she clearly does something she's uncomfortable with in the spirit of being a giving partner.
I get that. It does seem out of the ordinary. Just from my perspective, I saw enough plausibility in it that I didn't have an issue there. I kind of like the idea that it was too late by the time she fully made up her mind. Leaving the door open though was a much harder pill to swallow for me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 pm
I get that. It does seem out of the ordinary. Just from my perspective, I saw enough plausibility in it that I didn't have an issue there. I kind of like the idea that it was too late by the time she fully made up her mind. Leaving the door open though was a much harder pill to swallow for me.
Right. The part with the
handcuffs isn't implausible. It's just really, really hard to watch.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 am
Halfway through 1922, hope to finish it tomorrow and then watch Gerald's Game. Mostly surprised that someone even tried to make a compelling film out of King's sort of Poe/Lovecraft-derived period piece "southern Gothic" (technically Nebraska (technically Hemingford (home of Mother Abigail from The Stand))). Or that they trusted Thomas Jane's thicker-than-syrup rural accent that's always just on the verge of turning him into Ernest P. Worrell (the Uncanny Varney?).

But it's working.
Finished this, and had a good time with it. People online compared it to The Shining weirdly enough (I guess because of the evil father and the isolated space and maybe the late-film snow), but the flick reminded me much more of slow-burn crime potboilers like A Simple Plan, where people do awful things for reasonable monetary reasons, and then the tragic twists and the guilt pile on. Regardless of what it reminds me of, the flick carries through to the end, creates some real moments of unease, and pulls some career-high emotion out of Thomas Jane. Between this and The Mist, maybe we can make him our resident Stephen King hero. Maybe one of these days he can even carry through to a happy ending.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:28 am

Gerald's Game - A solid B/B+, like 1922, and for many of the same reasons. Dynamite central performance, a filmmaking pace that's confident to play deliberate instead of schlocky, effective stylistic restraint (with occasional gruesome flourishes (both of these movies feature eyeless corpses)). Both also feature a grim specter of death that never quite works as well as they'd like, though the effort is honorable in both cases. Boy oh boy is that ending silly, even though thematically it's on-point.

Regarding the ending,
MKS rightly mentioned the way the film conflates the three men; the other thing I was thinking is that this is a story about a woman whose father looms over her as a traumatic memory, so it doesn't feel quite right for any oversized male specter to remain an oversized male specter. Bringing him down to Earth is a good idea in theory. But the backloaded exposition and contrivance it takes to get there deflates a lot of that good intention, and the glowy execution reminds me of my negative reaction to the final minutes of The Haunting of Hill House, which similarly did such a bizarre heel-turn into Hallmark Channel feel-goodery that I felt more imbalanced than I did during the scare scenes.
I don't think the ending should've been excised, and it was on the right track, but after such a fantastic stage play of a feature, it's a comedown.

Still, how lucky that three recent King adaptations I've seen have been rock-solid. I'd also include It: Chapter One, which is probably the least of these three but definitely the most fun, with its foul-mouthed adolescents and spook-a-blast sensibility.
NOTE:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:45 pm

The Gate is good fun.  It stands with The Monster Squad, The Lost Boys and all the other great child-oriented horror of the '80s. Besides the very good special effects for its time and obviously low budget and its twists and turns, each of which legitimately surprised me, I like its message that horror, the occult, etc. are good for fun and games, but in a crisis, it's best to reach for the sky.  Its major flaw is in its little demon minions. They're supposed to be threatening, but they're so damn cute! I want one for a pet.

It's free to watch on Amazon Prime.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:45 pm
The Gate is good fun.  It stands with The Monster Squad, The Lost Boys and all the other great child-oriented horror of the '80s. Besides the very good special effects for its time and obviously low budget and its twists and turns, each of which legitimately surprised me, I like its message that horror, the occult, etc. are good for fun and games, but in a crisis, it's beat to reach for the sky.  Its major flaw is in its little demon minions. They're supposed to be threatening, but they're so damn cute! I want one for a pet.

It's free to watch on Amazon Prime.
I think of The Gate as being very different from The Monster Squad in that the former feels like an actual monster movie featuring kids where as the latter feels like a kids' movie featuring monsters.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 am

The Gate is pretty awesome. Amazon keeps actively suggesting it to me.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm
I think of The Gate as being very different from The Monster Squad in that the former feels like an actual monster movie featuring kids where as the latter feels like a kids' movie featuring monsters.
That is really on point. I finally saw and liked The Gate last October thanks to Shudder.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 pm

If any of you have somehow not seen it yet, Lake Mungo just got added to Prime and, as it is my favorite contemporary horror, I always have to pitch it.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 pm
If any of you have somehow not seen it yet, Lake Mungo just got added to Prime and, as it is my favorite contemporary horror, I always have to pitch it.
Really good movie. Probably the only "found footage" film that presents the footage in the way a real documentary would, interspersed with talking head interviews adding context. The whole "found footage" conceit kind of puzzles me without that. Like, here's this footage of a bunch of scared kids stumbling through the woods that we took all the time to edit together but never bothered to interview local law enforcement, paranormal experts or local historians to explain what this whole "Blair Witch" thing is or what ever happened to their missing persons' case. Why would we do that?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm

A Fake Account wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 pm
Really good movie. Probably the only "found footage" film that presents the footage in the way a real documentary would, interspersed with talking head interviews adding context. The whole "found footage" conceit kind of puzzles me without that. Like, here's this footage of a bunch of scared kids stumbling through the woods that we took all the time to edit together but never bothered to interview local law enforcement, paranormal experts or local historians to explain what this whole "Blair Witch" thing is or what ever happened to their missing persons' case. Why would we do that?
It is hands down both my favorite "found footage" film and also maybe my favorite "faux documentary".

I think that it also does an excellent job of making it seem real by introducing elements that align with "reasonable doubt."

Too often, found footage films show outlandish things: we literally see monsters or people levitating. If someone got a werewolf or a sea monster on film, there would be so much cultural STUFF around it! Why would anyone waste time watching the whole set of footage?

I love that Lake Mungo hangs their whole narrative on a horror that, to a skeptic, would seem implausible. You see why someone would not believe some of the footage. It makes the whole story feel like it actually fits in our world.

I think it's pretty genius that the film has within it the idea
of faked footage. Because as soon as one image is fake, who is to say that the other stuff isn't? So when people in the film are expressing that they are skeptical, you can understand why.
I also happen to think that it's full of really strong performances, that it is very well paced and plotted, and that it manages to tell a deeply personal and relateable story about depression and powerlessness and isolation (on the part of the daughter), but also about grief and loss and confusion (on the part of the family).

Sometimes I go onto the IMDb and just feel angry and baffled that Joel Anderson, the man who wrote and directed Lake Mungo, has never made another feature film. Like, what the heck?
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm
I agree. We're talking a BIG difference in tone between those two.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 pm
Yes, I watched this on your rec a few years ago, convincing some very skeptical friends to watch it with me, and we were all deeply satisfied.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 pm
Not quite the way I read that film, especially since it was kind of the first of its breed. I read it as, "We found this footage of what happened to these people, here it is, watch it or don't."
Movie absolutely blew me away when I saw it in the theater and I still really like it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:33 am

The Blair Witch Project is very love-it-or-hate-it (and understandably so), but I've been on the love it side ever since I watched it. It's a solid 8/10 flick for me.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am
Not quite the way I read that film, especially since it was kind of the first of its breed. I read it as, "We found this footage of what happened to these people, here it is, watch it or don't."
Movie absolutely blew me away when I saw it in the theater and I still really like it.
I mean...the premise is still that somebody found this footage, edited it together (because, correct me if I'm wrong, there's multiple cameras so it's not like it was edited in camera), put together a distribution budget and released it to theaters for...reasons. All while never adding in interview footage or a voiceover to contextualize or explain what we're watching. In what world does a movie like that really get released? Because it's not this one. It would be like if Werner Herzog just stitched together Timothy Treadwell's footage and presented it without comment. Responsible documentarians don't do that, so now I'm stuck wondering who the hell thought releasing this footage was a good idea in the reality this movie is trying to create, and at that point the movie is broken. The very premise underlines the movie's artificiality, which takes me out of it. And I only single out Blair Witch because it's a problem for me with all found footage movies. That one just kicked off the trend. They all raise too many questions about the logistics of their own making and release that they rarely bother to explain. I'm willing to suspend disbelief if a movie is willing to meet me halfway and give at least some explanation, but found footage almost never does.

Lake Mungo actually explains itself because it's a much better imitation of a documentary that could plausibly be released. I can believe that a responsible filmmaker started with found footage and then proceeded to try to find answers through their own production, and that a movie like that would be released to theaters (again, like Grizzly Man).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 am
I mean...the premise is still that somebody found this footage, edited it together (because, correct me if I'm wrong, there's multiple cameras so it's not like it was edited in camera), put together a distribution budget and released it to theaters for...reasons. All while never adding in interview footage or a voiceover to contextualize or explain what we're watching. In what world does a movie like that really get released? Because it's not this one. It would be like if Werner Herzog just stitched together Timothy Treadwell's footage and presented it without comment. Responsible documentarians don't do that, so now I'm stuck wondering who the hell thought releasing this footage was a good idea in the reality this movie is trying to create, and at that point the movie is broken. The very premise underlines the movie's artificiality, which takes me out of it. And I only single out Blair Witch because it's a problem for me with all found footage movies. That one just kicked off the trend. They all raise too many questions about the logistics of their own making and release that they rarely bother to explain. I'm willing to suspend disbelief if a movie is willing to meet me halfway and give at least some explanation, but found footage almost never does.

Lake Mungo actually explains itself because it's a much better imitation of a documentary that could plausibly be released. I can believe that a responsible filmmaker started with found footage and then proceeded to try to find answers through their own production, and that a movie like that would be released to theaters (again, like Grizzly Man).
Well, again, I didn't think it was presented as a documentary, I thought it was presented as their footage edited together and shown in theaters. And the fact that THEY were making a documentary does provide you with the context in the early part of the film. But still, Lake Mungo does not have the same structure, it is a pseudo-documentary which also contains found-footage. Blair Witch is just "here's what we found". I'm not really understanding why this is problematic for you.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am
Well, again, I didn't think it was presented as a documentary, I thought it was presented as their footage edited together and shown in theaters. And the fact that THEY were making a documentary does provide you with the context in the early part of the film. But still, Lake Mungo does not have the same structure, it is a pseudo-documentary which also contains found-footage. Blair Witch is just "here's what we found". I'm not really understanding why this is problematic for you.
It's problematic for me because the underlined part has never been a thing in reality before that movie was released. It's simultaneously trying to create a reality in which this footage was made, edited together and released into theaters, and have it be that those theaters are the very ones we're sitting in. But in our reality, a movie like that doesn't get released. So it's a movie that's constantly screaming that it's fake in a way that undermines exactly what it needs in order for it to work: that I believe in the reality of these kids lost in the woods. I recognize Lake Mungo has a different structure, and I'm saying only one of those structures is sound.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 am

A Fake Account wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 am
It's problematic for me because the underlined part has never been a thing in reality before that movie was released. It's simultaneously trying to create a reality in which this footage was made, edited together and released into theaters, and have it be that those theaters are the very ones we're sitting in. But in our reality, a movie like that doesn't get released. So it's a movie that's constantly screaming that it's fake in a way that undermines exactly what it needs in order for it to work: that I believe in the reality of these kids lost in the woods. I recognize Lake Mungo has a different structure, and I'm saying only one of those structures is sound.
To put my complaint into literary terms, I think the problem I have with the edits is that they unintentionally create a meta-text that the filmmakers weren't prepared to address. In literature, a great example of a meta-text is Nabokov's Pale Fire, in which the ostensible urtext of a poem by the fictional John Shade is overlain with a forward and extended commentary by his neighbor and colleague Charles Kinbote, and the two strands form a coherent narrative that I won't spoil here. The problem with The Blair Witch Project is that the edits introduce the idea of the editor as a character, which creates a meta-text that's never further developed. So we're left in the lurch as to wonder why this editor felt the need to cobble this footage together in the way it was, why someone else felt the need to commission it and why someone else further down the line felt the need to release it. There's got to be a Charles Kinbote in there somewhere to supply a motive or else the whole idea dies on the vine. If the premise was that the movie was edited in camera, my whole complaint is moot (and I liked [REC], where I think that was the case). That's a different reality where I'm the one who's found this camera and its footage and the edits are there because they were made in the moment, no need to get an editor or any other logistics involved.