Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:58 am

Begotten
What the fuck?
Jinnistan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm

The fuck, indeed.

(full movie - you may have to sign in to show your pubes)

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm
The fuck, indeed.

(full movie - you may have to sign in to show your pubes)

I looked it up and I am really, really interested in seeing this.
Good movie to save for October or should I add it to my September Pre-Horrorthon?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Also, sorry to interject a technical question, but I've forgotten again how you link to an individual post, can anyone remind me, please?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Also, sorry to interject a technical question, but I've forgotten again how you link to an individual post, can anyone remind me, please?
If you go to your or someone else's profile, there should be an option which allows you to view all posts which you or someone else made. On the bottom right hand of each one is a button which says "Jump to Post". Click that and you're good.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:36 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:30 am
This brings up maybe a fun question: what would you all say is the outright strangest horror film you've ever seen?
Hausu and it isn't even close.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm
I looked it up and I am really, really interested in seeing this.
Good movie to save for October or should I add it to my September Pre-Horrorthon?
Either way. Hopefully this clip will be up for awhile. There's another version of it (much worse fidelity) on Youtube that's three years old. It's the kind of thing that if more people knew about this film, like actually watched it, it probably wouldn't be allowed anywhere near Youtube.

So it's probably safe to save for the more chilly autumn evenings. Physical copies of the film are a little hard to come by.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Also, Miike's Gozu, which isn't too strange for much of it, but those last 10-15 minutes are eye-gouging gonzo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 pm
It's the kind of thing that if more people knew about this film, like actually watched it, it probably wouldn't be allowed anywhere near Youtube.
Yeah, I still remember loaning it to my younger brother and warning him "Don't watch it when mom's home!"

I rented it once, in the 90s, and at the time it was everything this edgelord art major wanted from a film. I haven't seen it since, but I've occasionally looked up that opening sequence over the years. You know, when things are going good and I feel like I need to ruin that with more nightmares and less sleep.

One of my earliest internet memories was discovering IMDB and learning that the Begotten guy was making a Nosferatu movie. Merhige hasn't exactly been prolific since then.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Not exactly a horror movie but have any of you by any chance been able to see the 2017 movie The Wild Boys? That is still the weirdest movie I've ever seen on the big screen. Following a group of adolescent, troubled rich boys (who are all played by young women) that, after binding their English teacher naked to a horse and sacrificing her to their imagined(?) god (a floating skull) get punished by their parents and are sent away to work as slaves on a ship headed by an insane captain (played by Belgian treasure and known drunk Sam Louwyck) to "be tamed". What follows is some certified Weirdness™. Gender bending, dicks falling off and sperm-producing trees included.
Seems like something certain people around here would appreciate. I honestly can't say if it is a good movie or not but it definitely stays with you.

It also looks gorgeous.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Slentert wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 pm
Following a group of adolescent, troubled rich boys (who are all played by young women) that, after binding their English teacher naked to a horse and sacrificing her to their imagined(?) god (a floating skull) get punished by their parents and are sent away to work as slaves on a ship headed by an insane captain (played by Belgian treasure and known drunk Sam Louwyck) to "be tamed".
Holy hell, that was a mouthful. Queued.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:46 pm
Also, Miike's Gozu, which isn't too strange for much of it, but those last 10-15 minutes are eye-gouging gonzo.
Makes a swell double feature with Visitor Q for a breast milk themed night.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:27 pm

I saw Angst recently and, although I don't have a lot to say on it, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. The unconventional camerawork got under my skin quite well and Leder was really good. However, I also thought that about 95% of its greatness lies within these areas so, for that reason, it doesn't quite rank with my favorite serial killer films which balance out their strengths better. Still worth watching though.

7/10
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

I saw Vampyr on the big screen today and was totally enamored with it, despite there being no subtitles. It's a very playful movie, in the way it builds this eerie atmosphere and does certain things that makes you wonder how they were able to accomplish that without CGI (had a similar feeling while watching Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr.) Thanks to all the people in this thread who convinced me to give this film a chance.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:27 pm
I saw Angst recently and, although I don't have a lot to say on it, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. The unconventional camerawork got under my skin quite well and Leder was really good. However, I also thought that about 95% of its greatness lies within these areas so, for that reason, it doesn't quite rank with my favorite serial killer films which balance out their strengths better. Still worth watching though.
Yeah, it generates an unease that's pretty far above most other horror films.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm
Yeah, it generates an unease that's pretty far above most other horror films.
Out of curiosity, how would you rank it amongst other serial killer films? I don't think I'd put it near the top, but I still found it to be effective.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Curiosity, how scary from 1-10 would you guys rate the 1980 Shining? And what would you overall rate the miniseries?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Curiosity, how scary from 1-10 would you guys rate the 1980 Shining? And what would you overall rate the miniseries?
I don't feel like I get properly "scared" by movies the way others seem to but I've always considered the Shining to be the most traditionally "scary" movie I've seen. The only things that I find more unsettling are David Lynch films.

I remember the miniseries being cheap crap that's technically more faithful to the source material.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Charles wrote:
Probably a 9.

I'm not even sure I was able to make it through the miniseries. What I remember though was it was bad and 0 scary.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Is it the general theme and atmosphere that's scary or scenes in general?

And anyone seen Gilaskan around? I remember he said it was actually a bad movie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:46 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 pm
Is it the general theme and atmosphere that's scary or scenes in general?

And anyone seen Gilaskan around? I remember he said it was actually a bad movie.
Both. The score, when properly blasted, is incredibly unnerving and anxiety inducing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:18 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 pm
Out of curiosity, how would you rank it amongst other serial killer films? I don't think I'd put it near the top, but I still found it to be effective.
I think that it certainly gets points for style. But there isn't really any character arc to speak of. It's the strength and weakness of films that show "real" type killings. The main character is a sociopath, and so there's just an inevitable trajectory to most of the film. I give it a lot of credit for the discomfort it generates, but at the same time it's not a film that often comes to mind to recommend to others.
Charles wrote:
Like maybe a 4. I didn't find it all that scary. It generates tension, yes, but I can't think of anything I found all that upsetting or that made my pulse race. Haven't seen the miniseries.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 am

The original The Shining is more uneasy or unmooring to me than it is "scary." But the unease works thanks to Kubrick's craft. Maybe a 5-8 depending on your definitions?

The mini-series The Shining has a decent manic performance from Steven Weber, but Garris continually trips over the 1997 ABC special effects and his own cinematic literalism. Maybe a 1, max a 3 when it's just Weber? I've never understood Garris's emphasis on cheap computer effects. The cat transformations in Sleepwalkers, the morphs in The Stand, the topiary animals in The Shining. I seem to remember Bag of Bones having some of that BS too.

At least Sleepwalkers's stuff was so mind-bogglingly crummy it looped back into camp.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 am

What films actually "scare" people?

I would describe the way that the Shining manages maintain a perpetual sense of unease and the way it weaves haunting images throughout to qualify it as earning that descriptor.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 am

Probably a 5 for me. I don't think I'd describe The Shining as scary. My memory of it is that it had me dreading the fates of the family there more than actually making me fear for them. It isn't without some truly effective scares though. As a whole, I'd definitely describe it as suspenseful without hesitation.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 am

As for what does scare me, I tend to respond best to absurdist horror such as David Lynch's films as that tends to get under my skin pretty well. I've thought of assembling a list of movie moments which have scared me in the past. Someday, I might put time into creating it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 am

I would describe the way that the Shining manages maintain a perpetual sense of unease and the way it weaves haunting images throughout to qualify it as earning that descriptor.
I know we've beat this to death but The Blair Witch Project scared me to death.
I had to pause Ils and take a break.
I'll have to think about some others.
Oh, in its time, A Nightmare On Elm Street scared me proper, especially the opening sequence and the Tina's nightmare/death, although it loses a bit of steam toward the end. Obviously I've seen it too many times now (probably 30?) for it to have the effect on me anymore and everything ages out too, right?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 am
As for what does scare me, I tend to respond best to absurdist horror such as David Lynch's films as that tends to get under my skin pretty well. I've thought of assembling a list of movie moments which have scared me in the past. Someday, I might put time into creating it.
While I agree on Lynch, I don't think I'd describe his horror as absurdist but rather surreal. There are absurdist elements in his work but he usually plays that for comedic effect.

Wooley, how did those films make you feel? What made them "scary?"
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 pm
I don't feel like I get properly "scared" by movies the way others seem to but I've always considered the Shining to be the most traditionally "scary" movie I've seen.
It's a tricky question. As adults , what does 'scary' even mean anymore? I don't plan my horror viewings around the potential of being actually frightened. Movies like Ju-On, for example, can generate tension, but it is then relieved and I don't carry it away from the theater with me. While watching I will maybe claim I am frightened, but certainly not once its over.

The only way I can talk about a film actually being scary is if it burrows beneath my skin and hints at a kind of dread that just generally exists when you begin poking a stick of what the nature of existence is and the terrors that can come with that. For a film to be properly frightening in this manner, it needs to still be unsettling even in scenes of general calm. I don't believe there is a single scene in the entirity of The Shining where I don't feel at least a little bit off balance or vaguely threatened. A movie that can upset even during moments that play as drama are the high water mark for horror with me. Exorcist, Shining, Rosemary's Baby. These are some of the very small handful that would ever qualify.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 am
While I agree on Lynch, I don't think I'd describe his horror as absurdist but rather surreal. There are absurdist elements in his work but he usually plays that for comedic effect.
That's probably a better way to describe his work. As a whole, I typically get scared by many combinations of weird (absurd, surreal) and horror.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 am
It's a tricky question. As adults , what does 'scary' even mean anymore? I don't plan my horror viewings around the potential of being actually frightened. Movies like Ju-On, for example, can generate tension, but it is then relieved and I don't carry it away from the theater with me. While watching I will maybe claim I am frightened, but certainly not once its over.

The only way I can talk about a film actually being scary is if it burrows beneath my skin and hints at a kind of dread that just generally exists when you begin poking a stick of what the nature of existence is and the terrors that can come with that. For a film to be properly frightening in this manner, it needs to still be unsettling even in scenes of general calm. I don't believe there is a single scene in the entirity of The Shining where I don't feel at least a little bit off balance or vaguely threatened. A movie that can upset even during moments that play as drama are the high water mark for horror with me. Exorcist, Shining, Rosemary's Baby. These are some of the very small handful that would ever qualify.
I think we're very much on the same wavelength. I've never been scared by films in that "sleep with the lights on" sort of way (well, the miniseries of It did get me when I watched it was like... 6 years old) yet I do have an emotional reaction of tension and dread that's always tempered by a detachment because I can't escape the knowledge that what I'm watching is "cinema."

I bring up Lynch because works like Inland Empire and Fire Walk With Me have this ability to feel upsetting and haunting throughout the experience of watching it but I'm never afraid for myself or unnerved to the point that it impacts beyond the runtime.

Seeing the Shining in theater with a booming surround sound had a fairly profound emotional impact, largely due to the score in which I found myself anxious just looking at the Overlook. One a similar note, seeing 2001 in Imax swung me to view it as sci-fi horror because of a near identical unease throughout, largely attributed to it's score.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:05 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 am

Wooley, how did those films make you feel? What made them "scary?"
Hey, sorry I was updating that post while you were responding, I added one.
Let's see, with Blair Witch, I think it was the sense of desperation and hopelessness, when the characters are basically reduced to sobbing and screaming and running for their lives because the strain of THEIR fear has become too much for them and you really get a sense that they are simply doomed, really as that was developing and just that frantic desperation the movie has in its 3rd act. Left me breathless.
Ils just flat-out scared the shit out of me. In about the first half to two-thirds of the movie when you just don't even know what you're dealing with and the sense that you are completely at the mercy of whatever is in the house, it's just terrifying.
And adding A Nightmare On Elm Street, I start to see a pattern. Now, in the opening scene, it's a combination of so many things. Mood, the music (which is super-effective) the strangeness of what you're seeing (as he constructs the bladed-glove for the first time, you really don't know what you're seeing until he finishes and the griminess of the way it's filmed and then when you see what he makes, in 1985, when I saw it, that was really Texas Chainsaw level shit to OPEN a movie. But then there's Tina wandering around in this strange place and the noises Freddy makes with the music and suddenly there's a lamb bleating at her and you can see that she's just so out matched by her situation. Leading into the scene when poor Tina walks into the alley-way and Freddy reveals himself for the first time in the film and reaches his arms out all the way across the alley and you realize there is nothing she can do to fight the situation she is in. She is helpless against something like that. And it just ramps up as he just appears wherever he wants, he cuts his own fingers off just to frighten her, and she actually pulls his face off to just reveal a skull with eyes... I mean, there's nothing you can do about that, you are LOST.
So I think that's revealing what scares me in movies, when the characters are put in hopeless situations, which for me, can really only be supernatural. You can always fight back against a human, you may lose, but you can fight and so human antagonists are almost never frightening to me. So Jack with his axe is not nearly as scary as whatever the hell is in room 237. But when you lift your covers and there's a ghost-woman in the bed with you (Ju-on) or some evil bitch crawls out of the television set (The Ring), or something like that, what the actual fuck are you gonna do but die?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:11 am

When I watched The Blair Witch Project, I found it scary how the witch was toying with the protagonists and was more interested in emotionally torturing them than acting as a typical slasher villain. The ending is highly unsettling in my opinion, because it shows that the witch could've easily killed/possessed them instantly if it wanted to. It just wanted to draw out their demise as much as it could. I saw a few alternate endings where the minimalist approach was slightly less profound, but I like the one they chose the best. The film's slow pacing is typically why it doesn't click for a lot of people, but I think this is the reason why it's as slow as it is. I think The Blair Witch Project definitely does a great job at getting you to speculate as to the motives of the witch since little, if anything about it is explained or shown. This is what I walked away with.

Actually, that's another thing I find scary. Implications of horror.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:15 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:11 am
When I watched The Blair Witch Project, I found it scary how the witch was toying with the protagonists and was more interested in emotionally torturing them than acting as a typical slasher villain. The ending is highly unsettling in my opinion, because it shows that the witch could've easily killed/possessed them instantly if it wanted to. It just wanted to draw out their demise as much as it could. I saw a few alternate endings where the minimalist approach was slightly less profound, but I like the one they chose the best. The film's slow pacing is typically why it doesn't click for a lot of people, but I think this is the reason why it's as slow as it is. I think The Blair Witch Project definitely does a great job at getting you to speculate as to the motives of the witch since little, if anything about it is explained or shown. This is what I walked away with.
Yes, very much so. The fact that, as the movie progresses, it goes from, "is anything actually happening to them at all or are they just lost and getting testy about it", to "Oh my god, they're just straight-up being toyed with and there is probably no hope for them whatsoever, and if I was them there would be no hope for me despite all the things we think we might do if we were the characters..." I mean, that's why it chilled me to the bone and the ending utterly delivered on that. I couldn't sleep the night I saw it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 am
I find films scary when they intrude on my own sense of security in some way.

Black Christmas really frightened me. I got up repeatedly during it to make sure the doors and windows were locked. It tapped deeply into the sense of vulnerability I sometimes feel being alone in a house at night. And there are a TON of "person alone in a house" plots in horror, but this one really hit me. The voice(s) on the other end of the line were recognizably misogynistic, and yet unpredictable.

Lake Mungo was something I found scary on multiple levels. There's a "jump scare" moment that provoked a very strong reaction from me. But I also responded to the way that the film evoked emotional isolation and depression even while surrounded by family, and a deep sense of existential helplessness.

I guess you could say that The Descent scared me in the sequence where she gets caught in the tight tunnel. Being trapped in small spaces makes me instantly panic, and I can remember that the first time I saw the films, my hands were instantly sweaty the moment she got stuck.

For the most part I'm too aware of films as creations to find them scary. The more I can connect to the characters, the more likely it is that I'll find something scary about a film.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 am

On a side note, when I rewatched it a couple years ago, I was looking at reviews of it on youtube and I happened to stumble across a video by MatPat from The Game Theorists (well, The Film Theorists in this case) whose videos I don't care for. Regardless, I decided to watch the video anyways to see his perspective and there he was delving loose connections out of something else. He argued that Mike and Josh murdered Heather and that there was no witch all along (despite the fact that the sequels make it obvious that there was a witch).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 am

Do y'all ever struggle to delineate between the "negative" emotions that horror can bring about? Unsettlement, unease, dread, anxiety, etc? Do you all lump all of those under the blanket of "scared?"

For instance, Lake Mungo definitely had a haunting, unnerving ending that resonated with me but I don't feel I was frightened of what was happening on screen. Should I claim as much?

Similarly, the Descent felt like a thrilling roller coaster. Should I lump that in, along with [Rec]?

Blair Witch Project is one I think about a lot in that people have a strong emotional reaction to it and it's a reaction that I don't think I've ever had to a film. I feel fully disconnected from that one and while I admire elements of it, it never approaches satisfying.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 am
On a side note, when I rewatched it a couple years ago, I was looking at reviews of it on youtube and I happened to stumble across a video by MatPat from The Game Theorists (well, The Film Theorists in this case) whose videos I don't care for. Regardless, I decided to watch the video anyways to see his perspective and there he was delving loose connections out of something else. He argued that Mike and Josh murdered Heather and that there was no witch all along (despite the fact that the sequels make it obvious that there was a witch).
I have heard that theory, it didn't do much for me. I mean, I've watched the movie four times and I still think it's really stretching, so I put it under "fan-theory" and let it go.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 am
Do y'all ever struggle to delineate between the "negative" emotions that horror can bring about? Unsettlement, unease, dread, anxiety, etc? Do you all lump all of those under the blanket of "scared?"
To me, "scared" is a very specific feeling, and Black Christmas is the only film that actually made me *afraid*.

There are horror films that make me anxious for the survival of the protagonist(s) (Hush, 10 Cloverfield Lane).

There are horror films that gross me out (Human Centipede, Dead Alive).

There are horror films that evoke a sense of unease (the aforementioned Angst, Orphanage).

I don't really struggle to delineate between these feelings because I'm almost constantly aware of both what I'm feeling and what I think the film is trying to make me feel. And being highly empathetic (a blessing and a curse!) I am always bouncing the emotions of the characters off of my own emotions. I tend to know exactly how a film made me feel. Scared is very rare. Uneasy or vicariously-distressed is much more common.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:40 am

I sometimes experience difficulty in determining what's scary and what simply makes me feel suspense or dread. For instance, I often fear for the lives of characters in thrillers (Hitchcock films for instance), but I don't really consider films like, say, Rear Window to be scary. I prefer to say that they make me feel dread and anxiety by raising the possibility that the characters may die. I suppose the same thing could be said for The Blair Witch Project as I also fear for the lives of the characters in that film as well. However, I feel like there's more to it than just that. While I know there's a chance that a character in a Hitchcock film might make it out okay, I already know from the start that the characters in TBWP are merely fighting a battle which they have no chance of winning. Seeing them get emotionally tortured and toyed with makes for a pretty scary concept as it's a highly unsettling scenario. If a horror film merely contains the possibility that a character may die, I'll surely dread that outcome and I may feel suspense throughout, but I just can't say that terrifies me.

The surrealism of Lynch films always gets under my skin though. The scene I go back to the most is the first Mystery Man encounter at the party in Lost Highway. Putting aside his creepy acting and the menacing score aside, he definitely changed my reaction to the film. After watching that scene for the first time, the ambiguity of his character made me speculate as to what his motives were. Was he going to kill Fred and his wife? Was he simply going to watch over them and do nothing? Whatever he was going to do, it seemed like Fred was powerless against him since he had a supernatural quality. Like The Blair Witch Project, I thought that whatever his goal was would inevitably succeed.

Overall, there's a lot a horror film must do to scare me. Simply putting the lives of the characters in danger usually doesn't do it for me. Although, a certain scene in The Hitcher did that extremely well.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 am
I have heard that theory, it didn't do much for me. I mean, I've watched the movie four times and I still think it's really stretching, so I put it under "fan-theory" and let it go.
I mean, if there weren't any sequels, I guess I could kind of consider that as a side thought to ponder over a bit. I just think that the sequels which directly show paranormal activity caused by the witch should put that theory to rest.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 am
I mean, if there weren't any sequels, I guess I could kind of consider that as a side thought to ponder over a bit. I just think that the sequels which directly show paranormal activity caused by the witch should put that theory to rest.
I wouldn't necessarily consider the sequels to be canon. I mean, they weren't made by the same people, and I don't get the sense that the original film was intended as anything other than a stand-alone film.

Directly showing paranormal activity (I haven't seen either sequel, so I'm not sure the extent of this) to me seems to undercut part of the effectiveness of the original. Part of what I loved was the degree to which it was like "It could be magic or . . . we could be walking in circles." I think that in many parts it does lend itself to making you question if this is paranormal or if it's a real person tormenting them.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:02 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 am
I wouldn't necessarily consider the sequels to be canon. I mean, they weren't made by the same people, and I don't get the sense that the original film was intended as anything other than a stand-alone film.

Directly showing paranormal activity (I haven't seen either sequel, so I'm not sure the extent of this) to me seems to undercut part of the effectiveness of the original. Part of what I loved was the degree to which it was like "It could be magic or . . . we could be walking in circles." I think that in many parts it does lend itself to making you question if this is paranormal or if it's a real person tormenting them.
You make a fair point on how the sequels were made by different directors. Although, I still uphold my belief that the theory that the film was an elaborate murder attempt orchestrated by Josh and Mike is pretty far-fetched and I think it's unlikely that was the case of the film. I'll concede that the sequels don't disprove it though.

I do think the possibility you raised that a person was toying with them holds merit though. That's not how I read the film, but your take makes sense.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 am

A big part of what makes Blair Witch scary is you can hear the fear in their voices, and not just during the scary parts but when they’re arguing with each other too. Their fights come from a place of fear which they do a good job of selling in the way their voices tremble.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:02 am
You make a fair point on how the sequels were made by different directors. Although, I still uphold my belief that the theory that the film was an elaborate murder attempt orchestrated by Josh and Mike is pretty far-fetched and I think it's unlikely that was the case of the film. I'll concede that the sequels don't disprove it though.
I also agree that Josh and Mike murdering Heather doesn't mesh with what I remember from the film. But using tenuously-connected sequels as evidence about the original doesn't feel right.
I do think the possibility you raised that a person was toying with them holds merit though. That's not how I read the film, but your take makes sense.
I mean, I was 90% sure through the film that it would turn out to be the Blair Witch. But I liked the ambiguity. There are logical, non-supernatural explanations for a lot of what happens to them: snapping twig noises, little figures, stacked stones, something shaking the tent, being lost.

Thinking that it could maybe be people (like, say, townspeople who were doing something illegal/illicit in the woods) is part of the suspense for me.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 am
But using tenuously-connected sequels as evidence about the original doesn't feel right.
I agree that my comment on the sequels doesn't hold up. You're right that there definitely is a bit of ambiguity involving whether a person was toying with them. I still believe it actually was a witch, but the possibility it's not is some interesting food for thought.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:30 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 am
I agree that my comment on the sequels doesn't hold up. You're right that there definitely is a bit of ambiguity involving whether a person was toying with them. I still believe it actually was a witch, but the possibility it's not is some interesting food for thought.
For me, the
final shot of the guy standing in the corner (as per the myth) kind of seals the deal for me. But for the first half I wasn't totally sure what to believe.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 am
Not at all, all of those can be in any film or some combination of them. There should be some dread in a horror, some unease and unsettlement, great if you can hit anxiety too, but I don't put them under "scared". No for that you have to actually feel fear; which can be built of all those things we've talked about or it can be an assaultive thing all its own. But when I imagine myself running down the alley with some freak with a skeleton face under his burned-out skin and arms reaching all the way across to scrape sparks off the walls, intent on killing me, what I feel is fear. And I am scared.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:53 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 am
A big part of what makes Blair Witch scary is you can hear the fear in their voices, and not just during the scary parts but when they’re arguing with each other too. Their fights come from a place of fear which they do a good job of selling in the way their voices tremble.
Yes. Totally.
TODDLER

Post by TODDLER » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm going to instruct you to watch Death Bed, not on the grounds that I've seen it, but since Bay of Blood is my least most loved Bava from the bunch I've seen. All around made yet unpalatable in its hatred for its characters.