Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:50 am

Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 am
Captain Terror, if you can tolerate something almost parodically scuzzy, Ebola Syndrome is pretty effective and darkly funny in its own way. The Untold Story with the same director and star is also pretty good, but even more fucked up and honestly was a bit too much even for my desensitized degenerate ass. You might need a shower after both.

Also, I'm a little disappointed nobody recommended Troll 2, one of the best "bad" movies out there. It's demented and inspired enough that you won't just be laughing at/with its total incompetence.
You know, I was gonna ask for some suggestions from Asia but yikes.... :) Skimming some reviews and saw lots of "not for lightweights". I like to think of myself as more of a "welterweight", so we'll put this in the "If I'm in the mood" column.

And no one mentioned Troll 2 because it's so obvious.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:23 am
Train to Busan was...fine? Like, I realize it's a fairly clever and energetically made movie, but it never seemed the characters were in any real danger until the movie decided otherwise. Every encounter in the movie felt like one of those sequences in a video game where you can get past the guards if you just know to stay out of the searchlights - too easily navigated so that the character deaths felt extra contrived. If I can offer a comparison to show what I'm getting at, REC was brought up in this thread recently, and that to me is a zombie movie really good at killing off its characters in what seemed like natural outcomes of the proceedings, whereas this one's manipulations are far too obvious. Also, while I can appreciate good melodrama, it felt like characters were constantly crying and yelling through the whole movie. It's just exhausting, and squanders whatever emotional goodwill it might have earned with a more straightfaced or humourous approached.
When the kid started her terrible singing at the end, I got annoyed, which is probably not the reaction the movie wanted.
I liked it a lot when I first saw it, but a rewatch led me to find that it's one of those films I enjoyed more than I should have. It's still a good film and it's better than many modern zombie films, but I don't think it's as groundbreaking as the reputation it received upon release says it is.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:27 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 am
Finally watched Us.

Gonna sleep on it.
I'm going to watch this again. With pen and paper.

Think I love it.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:32 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Think I love it.
Yeah I liked Us a lot when I first saw it in the theater. Looking forward to an October rewatch.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Candyman is easily one of the best 90s horrors, and it's actually one of my favorite horror films, period.

Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:23 am
Train to Busan was...fine? Like, I realize it's a fairly clever and energetically made movie . . . the character deaths felt extra contrived.
Yeah, I was very underwhelmed by it. Too obvious who was going to survive and who wasn't. Themes of sacrifice just came off as artificial. It's fine in a very technical sense (acting, direction, effects), but it left me pretty cold.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:47 pm

(Agreed on the muted reactions to Train to Busan. Some fun stuff but pretty thin soup.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Train to Busan needed more gore and less melodrama, damn it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 pm

In regards to 90's horror, while I have yet to watch them, thought I'd just mention that two films by Richard Stanley, Hardware and Dust Devil, are supposedly worth checking out.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:36 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 pm
In regards to 90's horror, while I have yet to watch them, thought I'd just mention that two films by Richard Stanley, Hardware and Dust Devil, are supposedly worth checking out.
they are definitely unique. your mileage may vary. Hardware was surely more distinct than what could have been just a cash-in on other popular titles (Terminator, Mad Max, etc.).

at least he's getting another opportunity to prove himself. and with no less than Castor Troy himself.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Think I love it.
I’m a fan but I HATE the exposition dump in the climax. I liked how it was shot as I’m a sucker for a good split diopter but it shifted me from “nightmare logic” mindset and it harmed the film quite a bit.

Which was a shame because it’s fantastically well-made and the degree of foreshadowing and symbolism is directly appealing to my sensibilities.

I’ll probably screen it this Halloween season.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:13 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Ooh, I hadn't rated Dust Devil so it didn't pop up in my IMDb search. But yeah, it's really worth checking out. It's one of those films that is kind of uneven and oddly paced, but also has a few scenes and images that are cool enough to merit a recommendation despite it's flaws.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Good call! Been meaning to check those out since watching the Moreau doc. :up:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:25 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 am
It may just be my upbringing in the '90s, but I think that the '90s sometimes get short shrift as a source of horror.
To reiterate, I thought that the 90s were pretty shallow for Hollywood studio-produced horror. It's not a coincidence, I don't think, that many of the best selections recommended so far have been largely independent or foreign (especially the seminal J-horror films).

And probably just as a reminder, I've never been too big on Scream, as blasphemous as that may now seem.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 pm

nvm
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Some other ones I apparently hadn't rated:

Innocent Blood: A vampire who tries to target bad guys gets mixed up with the mob when she fails to finish killing a mob boss.

The Puppet Masters: (Not to be confused with the Puppetmaster series!) Aliens land on earth and are able to attach to human hosts and control them.

Okay, I haven't seen The Guardian, but for years I have low-key been in love with its plot summary: "A young couple with a newborn baby don't realize that the nanny they hired is a magical nymph who sacrifices infants to an evil tree."
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:38 pm
Okay, I haven't seen The Guardian, but for years I have low-key been in love with its plot summary: "A young couple with a newborn baby don't realize that the nanny they hired is a magical nymph who sacrifices infants to an evil tree."
It's not bad, but Friedkin's direction feels pretty anonymous outside of a few scenes. If you like the sound of the premise, it might be worth checking out, just keep your expectations in check.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:31 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 pm
I’m a fan but I HATE the exposition dump in the climax. I liked how it was shot as I’m a sucker for a good split diopter but it shifted me from “nightmare logic” mindset and it harmed the film quite a bit.

Which was a shame because it’s fantastically well-made and the degree of foreshadowing and symbolism is directly appealing to my sensibilities.
I agree with you completely.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Not a review so much as 2000 words written down during and after watching Us twice in 24 hours.

What the flick reminds me of, much more than Get Out is the work of Grant Morrison, and how his comic book stories eventually got so dense in their presentation of symbols and mytho-religious associations that those elements became the substance (stuff like Kid Eternity, Nameless, Arkham Asylum). Doesn't always work, but fascinates me. Blame the liberal arts education.

The opening shot.
The films on the shelves include: C.H.U.D. (underdwellers emerging from the sewers), The Goonies (put a pin in that), The Man With Two Brains (Red thinks the Tethered have a part of the Normal's soul), The Right Stuff (not sure of the relevance apart from jumpsuits and an ambitious team "ascent"), A Nightmare on Elm Street (the Tethered version of Jason's scars, and the industrial basements evoke Freddy's lair).

The newscast promises updates later on during the Channel 11 at 11 broadcast (11 11 recurs throughout), shows the Santa Cruz location, includes an update on the very real "Hands Across America" event that even includes the word "tether", and the screen goes black, showing us our first mirrored version of Adelaide.
The relevance/recurrence of 1111:
Checked my bible afterwards, Jeremiah 11:11 says, "Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them."

As mentioned, you see the Channel 11 at 11. You also hear an 11 11 reference about a baseball game later, and Adelaide get worried when she sees the clock radio display 11 11. Moss's character discusses how she's seeing coincidences in her life, which Adelaide says later during her panicked explanations to her husband. 11 11 also looks like four hash marks (for the four members of the family?) and it's palindromic, a "mirrored" number. Reminds me of the many references to Exodus 8:2 in Magnolia (foreshadowing a Biblical resolution) and the recurrent palindromic 3:33 in the video game Eternal Darkness (foreshadowing the number of Eldritch gods - its own sort of "religious" foreshadow).

There are other religious nods in the film, like young Adelaide eating a suggestive red apple before her loss of innocence and Red's insistence on the involvement of God. (Put a pin in that.) Of course, Jeremiah was a prophet, and Red considers herself one. Sidebar: Joseph Campbell claimed in The Power of Myth that Eve eating the apple taught Adam and Eve of the nature of complements/opposites.
The boardwalk:
Whistling "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" has the symbolic line "went up the waterspout," suggesting Red's climb out of the basement into the funhouse. Later we see a fake and real spider on a coffee table as Adelaide watches. The whistling comes up often. The funhouse starts the rabbit imagery and even includes an owl. It's fun to consider the owl's meaning. Sure, the idea of owls as symbolic of "wisdom" is obvious, but given other mythic associations in the film (some Tethered characters are named Pluto, Io, and Nix), it's worth thinking of the owl as a sign of Athenic knowledge. (That creates interesting dimensions when Adelaide's scared of it the first time and then smashes it upon seeing it as an adult (actively fighting knowledge).

But if you look at the owl in its Native American context (given the tacky Shaman exterior), owls were more often omens of encroaching evil/death. Which... yeah.

We see the hobo holding the Jeremiah 11:11 placard.

The rabbits become an important symbol throughout the film, obviously. One of the curious touches is how the Shaman Vision Quest becomes Merlin's later. One reading is the way that America "evolves" by papering over past racial issues (the problematic Shaman becomes a more toyetic Merlin). Another reading is the way that meaningful mytho-religious ideas (like the trickster Hare of Native American myth and magic) evolve into less meaningful consumer ideas (the "magic rabbit" of commodified magic).

The first reading is probably the more useful reading since the film eventually paints itself more as an exploration of many "forgotten Americas."

The dad plays whack-a-mole, hitting groundhogs hard to keep them underground, in their tunnels.
A little more on rabbits:
Daughter Zora wears a t-shirt with a rabbit on it for most of the film. Double-duty. It reminds us of the rabbits in the credits and is a cute touch for a girl defined by her running speed. Zora's most likely named for Zora Neale Hurston, an author known for her pioneering African-American novels and explorations of folklore. (Hey!) When adult Adelaide returns to the summer home, we see a rabbit doll that makes her uneasy. Red later cuts its head off with her shears.

Also, given the presence of the Native American hare and the spider (a trickster in African myth), it's worth it to say that tricksters are often enemies of heroes without being evil necessarily. They're chaotic, puckish, with their own goals. This describes the Tethered pretty well: playful and antagonistic but not truly evil (well, okay, they're sadistic, but they're broken creations that have their reasons for wanting "revenge").
The family:
So there's daughter Zora, husband Gabe (y'know that one), son Jason (another mythic association, a young hero), and Adelaide (etymology "of noble kind", aka of high stature, which she is when compared to Red). Their car decal has them holding hands, tethered, and the Tethered family later strikes that same image in the driveway. I liked how simple the traits are that define the family. Zora and track/field, Gabe and his dumb boat, Jason and his magic tricks.

Quick foreshadows: the ambulance in the door pays off later in an escape, and a life-sized ambulance becomes a crucial device in the final third of the film. Zora's comments on fluoride/mind control / end of the world call forward to Red's theories on the Tethered. We see our first "snapping fingers" (for "I've Got Five on It," which isn't lyrically relevant but becomes relevant through its later uses by Pluto).

The Jeremiah hobo is dead.
The flashback to the doctor:
The young PTSD Adelaide is putting the toy animals in a straight line, foreshadowing her connection to Red, what Red's thinking about, and Red's eventual aims.
The beach:
Kitty's mention of a facelift and vanity explains why her Tethered can later be seen applying lipstick lovingly and taking a pair of shears to her own face. Jason's making a tunnel in the sand. Josh mentions the flare gun, setting up the fun reversal later (reminds me of Gunn teasing the grenade in Slither). Kitty also mentions "strange coincidences." Though the coincidences are more texture than substance in terms of story relevance.

The Jeremiah hobo is back, our first look at a Tethered even though we don't yet know it.

We get our first real indicator of America, although there was obviously the "Hands Across America" tease earlier, with a red frisbee with a star on it landing on top of a blue/white beach towel. Red white and blue baby these colors don't run.
The Tethered:
The Tethered obviously come off as simplified perversions of their Normals (my term). Abe as the burly protector whose first thought is to use the boat, Umbrae (the darkest part of a shadow) as the swift athlete, Pluto whose only available magic was fire. Red's different. She leads and is the only tethered who can speak. (For reasons to come.) This is super-clever, how nothing needs to be said for us to understand how the Tethered operate as heightened violent doubles.

My favorite humanist touch in the movie is the proper-sounding Gabe code-switching to a blacker voice to be more threatening.

When Red talks about her sharp, painful toys, she must've meant the scissors. We never do learn how the Tethered got all of their red suits and scissors. They're best considered on a symbolic level, scissors to cut bonds and red suits to symbolize unified danger. When she says "We are Americans," the film dramatically opens up to me. I spent the rest of the movie trying to sort out what the film specifically was saying about America, but the film seems to not want that. The Tethered represent different things at different times:

lower classes (the Tethered scrounge and scavenge while Adelaide's family is upper-middle-class, maybe even higher up the totem pole)

America's historical dirty laundry (Kitty's Tether, Dahlia, locks Adelaide in her chains as her first post-murder action, the earlier-mentioned Shaman)

even Trump's America (a sudden well-organized red-clad revenge that announces that Everything Is Not Okay and Probably Never Really Was)

On the one hand, this may be too much, but I kinda love how messy the film is, like it's tripping over itself in its excitement to talk to you.
Sidebars:
"I Got Five On It" reappears after they kill Kitty's clan.

Also I just love the image of them talking calmly while a dead twin lies in the center of the room between them all.
Hands Across America:
For some reason, the line of people make me think of Junji Ito. Maybe a specific image I don't remember, or maybe just the general idea of an inexplicable supernatural element that relies on the conjoining of human bodies; a less perverse Uzumaki or something. Ritualistic. And also a not-so-subtle image of a literal "divided" America.
The abduction:
Adelaide's despairing reaction to Pluto killing himself is probably the first in-action indicator that she's not all she seems.

The abduction of Jason and Adelaide's descent carry some pretty classic Cthonic associations (the obvious one is Orpheus trying to save Eurydice), and the level-by-level down-the-stairs imagery feels like a borrow from Dante. The industrial tubing of the first level reminds me of the Elm Street nod at the beginning, and the rabbit land at the bottom can't help but bring up Wonderland memories. I love the illogic of these basements, the fact that they're so close to the ocean and directly connected to the funhouse, how clean they are. These rabbits clearly do not poop.

When we see Red remembering her ascent, her orientation to the people and space around her is "flipped" to Adelaide's travels (turning left when Adelaide turns right, etc.).

The battle between Adelaide and Red is maybe my favorite sequence from any movie I've seen this year. Love the musical riffing on "I've Got Five on It," with the thundering INCEPTION bwam counterpointed with pizzicato high strings. And the motivations of both characters are empathetic once you understand Red's sad plight.

Agreed with MKS that there's way too much spoken explanation, and visuals could've done a lot more work, and honestly a lot of the elements explained didn't need explaining. However...
The reveal:
I figured from the start that Red and Adelaide had switched spots in the Funhouse originally. Not because I'm a genius, but because this is a story about doppelgangers. It tracks that there would be a switcheroo at some point. It's an inevitable consequence of the premise, similar to a surprise reveal about a trusted one being body-snatched in a body snatcher movie. That said, I was hoping for most of the film that Peele wouldn't do the switcheroo, because I didn't think it was necessary to the story. And when it's finally revealed at the end, I was left with a hrmm instead of a whoa.

That said, the film's laying pipe for this reveal the whole time. THE GOONIES is the first real hint, because when Red says late in-film that "It's our time now, our time up here," she's saying that because it's a line she remembers from a movie she used to watch when she was the real Adelaide. And when Red suggests God is involved and she's a prophet, it's probably because one of her very last memories is of the hobo with the Jeremiah sign (so its relevance becomes recursive - it's relevant because Red decided it was). Adelaide sees a spider because she's the one who "crawled up the waterspout," and her head makes the glass spiderweb when Red presses it down. Adelaide's lining the animals up because Red (the real Adelaide down below) is already hyper-focusing on "Hands Across America." Red is the only Tethered who can speak because she's the only one who's spoken before.

The big question is: what is the value of the switcheroo? What does it bring to the story apart from a "gotcha" moment? (Which isn't one at all since, as noted, we're expecting something like this for most of the movie-- which isn't a slam, just an observation that it's on Peele to make this expectation pay off. Twists that are foregone conclusions can still work, provided they have real value.)

My best guess is that Adelaide is revealed to be her doppelganger to say that the bell "can't be unrung." That the Tethered are not as simple as a unified antagonistic force. Adelaide desperately insists at the end that "Everything's gonna be like it was before" despite all evidence to the contrary. There's a sense of authorial insert, too, like Peele wanted to take those final moments to tell us that USA 2019 is not going to be okay, that we can't go back (to a time when America was great) because that time and that place never were, not really.

I don't know if you needed the switcheroo to relate that idea, though, since we've already seen a fundamentally changed America by film's end.

I'm still mulling that element over.
I don't think it has the focus and clarity of Get Out, but also the movie doesn't seem to want that focus and clarity. It's very much an ambitious sophomore kitchen-sink effort.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 pm

The importance of the reveal is that...
the doppelgangers and the originals ARE interchangable. This conception of a fundamental difference and that there's an underclass relegated to a subordinate life due to their "otherness" through an institutionalized evil is the crux of the film. They ARE people. They could be just like "us" (or U.S.) if given the same advantages and opportunities.

The fear of the "other" is actually a fear of ourselves and losing our place in society.
Good stuff. Didn't need that shitty exposition dump for it to work either.

High five it, Wools.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:35 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Good stuff. Didn't need that shitty exposition dump for it to work either.

High five it, Wools.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:28 am

Corbin Nash is a hot mess.

Totally unnecessary flashback/flashforward structure.

Unapologetically homophobic.

I'm watching at this point with a sort of rubber-necking fascination.

The only nice thing I can say for it is that there's this sort of screeching sound effect they keep using and one of the cats thinks it's the best thing ever and goes running around in delight every time they employ it.

Also, I love the adorable stupidity of a main character who has his own name tattooed on his chest.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:18 am

Post-viewing thoughts:

1) Did they spend their whole budget on actresses who were willing to have their shirts torn off?

2) Gay men have mommy issues. Did this film take its concepts of gay life from the late 80s? Also, the more "straight" seeming half of the killer duo is called a "man", while the crossdressing/drag half is referred to as a "freak" and "it". Cool. Cool cool cool. Cool.

3) "What if the love interest was a stripper?"--another original idea that conveniently allows for multiple scenes set in a strip club.

4) The gay vampires hate women, but also . . . like having sex with women? Man, being homophobic and pandering to the male gaze really requires some convoluted logic!

5) Maybe he has his name on his chest so that we don't confuse him with the three other generic white men with dark hair in their 30s?

6) I'm trying to pretend I didn't just see Rutger Hauer and Malcom McDowell slumming it here. Trying. Hauer at least manages to appear for only about three minutes before making his escape.

7) Aside from the love interest, the film's diversity includes a single black character (corrupt) and a single hispanic man (violent, woman killing gang member).

8) Oh, my--okay. The main actor is British and doing an American accent. Does this maybe explain the labored, stilted line delivery?

9) I cannot stop laughing at the tattoo.

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Nice article. I couldn't read it all due to spoilers but I like the ideas.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm

Possible uses for a "Nash" tattoo:

1. Lift your shirt when someone tries to remember the name of Russell Crowe's character in A Beautiful Mind
2. Lift your shirt to profess your love for Nash Bridges if you're ever in a debate about the best cop shows of the '90s
3. Lift your shirt to profess your love for Steve Nash if you're ever in a debate about the best Canadian basketball players
4. If that's your name and you lose your voice, lift your shirt if a TSA agent at the airport asks for your name

That's all I got. It's not a very useful tattoo after all.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston, 1948)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Demon Witch Child (1975)

I was terrified as the young girl began to levitate off her bed, but the dreamy smile of Keith Partridge put me at ease again. Thanks, Keith. :heart:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm
Demon Witch Child (1975)

I was terrified as the young girl began to levitate off her bed, but the dreamy smile of Keith Partridge put me at ease again. Thanks, Keith. :heart:

Conversely, this only confirmed all of my worst fears about that hedonistic poultry brood.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm
If that's your name and you lose your voice, lift your shirt if a TSA agent at the airport asks for your name
"My body is my passport."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:24 pm
"My body is my passport."
Sneakers?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 am
Sneakers?
Nah, just something I think would be hilarious to say at customs.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 am
Nah, just something I think would be hilarious to say at customs.
Ah, thought you were paraphrasing one of my favorite movies.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 am
Ah, thought you were paraphrasing one of my favorite movies.
Or maybe I'm psychic?!

Anyway, I am well into the second season of Sleepy Hollow and I can give it sort of a lazy recommendation for some decent horror/supernatural type stuff. Some of the special effects are pretty neat, and I have to admit that the rewriting of history is pretty hilarious at times. You get things like "Everyone thinks that Paul Revere took his famous ride to warn of the approaching enemy. But in fact he was transporting a newly risen demon baby to a sanctuary of five mothers so that they might perform the binding ceremony to keep his soul from fully leaving hell!"
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Opinions on Cirque du Freak? It's been added to Neflix. Worth watching? Remember, I was just burned by Corbin Nash.

Also, I read a review the other day of so-bad-it's-amazing horror/thriller The Velocipastor. Please enjoy this trailer. The way he says "WHATTTT?!" at 0:56 is the best thing I've ever seen.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 pm
Anyway, I am well into the second season of Sleepy Hollow and I can give it sort of a lazy recommendation for some decent horror/supernatural type stuff. Some of the special effects are pretty neat, and I have to admit that the rewriting of history is pretty hilarious at times. You get things like "Everyone thinks that Paul Revere took his famous ride to warn of the approaching enemy. But in fact he was transporting a newly risen demon baby to a sanctuary of five mothers so that they might perform the binding ceremony to keep his soul from fully leaving hell!"
My cousin was sort of hate-watching that back when it aired and every week I'd get a text alerting me of that week's historical absurdity. "Ben Franklin was a Satanist!" or whatever. For my part, I had a hard time accepting that the lead was so sexy. #NotMyIchabod :)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 pm
Opinions on Cirque du Freak? It's been added to Neflix. Worth watching? Remember, I was just burned by Corbin Nash.

Also, I read a review the other day of so-bad-it's-amazing horror/thriller The Velocipastor. Please enjoy this trailer. The way he says "WHATTTT?!" at 0:56 is the best thing I've ever seen.
I haven't seen CdF, but I know some folks who stumbled upon a film shoot and got to watch some of it. (It was filmed in various locations near to me). Can't believe that's 10 years old already. It's always been on my radar as a result, so I'll probably give it a look now that it's streaming.

Also--If you (or anyone else) are in the mood for some Troll 2- level acting, I can recommend The Terrible Two on Prime. The writing in general is pretty weak, but the actor playing the dad is especially out of his element, bless his heart. Doesn't help that he has to deliver lines like "I just found a death threat note in my sock drawer!" Then there's the priest/therapist who looks like Rivers Cuomo. And when a character falls off a ladder and breaks their neck, the makeup artist chooses to portray that by making their lips bloody (?). Takes a lot of courage to make a movie this bad and then have the word "Terrible" in the title. Fun times.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm
For my part, I had a hard time accepting that the lead was so sexy. #NotMyIchabod :)
You're objecting to that sexy, sexy 'Bod?

Actually, the show seems to have remarkable restraint when it comes to the cheesecake (male or female) considering the attractiveness of like 4 of it's regulars.

Then again, the lack of sexual tension/romantic subplots (despite FANTASTIC chemistry between the two leads) is one of my favorite things about the show.
Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 am
Doesn't help that he has to deliver lines like "I just found a death threat note in my sock drawer!"
Sold!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 am
You're objecting to that sexy, sexy 'Bod?

Actually, the show seems to have remarkable restraint when it comes to the cheesecake (male or female) considering the attractiveness of like 4 of it's regulars.

Then again, the lack of sexual tension/romantic subplots (despite FANTASTIC chemistry between the two leads) is one of my favorite things about the show.
Now that you mention it I remember that Ichabod and Abbie (?) were the subjects of some intense shipping at the time. (If you can guarantee that someone makes the 'Bod pun at some point, I'll give the show a shot.)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 am
Now that you mention it I remember that Ichabod and Abbie (?) were the subjects of some intense shipping at the time.
I think that, ironically, it was so nice to see a deep friendship and partnership develop without the burden of one-sided crushes or tormented "will they won't they" junk, that you end up thinking "They're so good together! They should be together!". Also, Abbie is pretty great, and while it makes sense for her character, she's never given any romantic subplots (Crane is married on the show, so we get plenty of stuff between him and his wife). I really enjoy them as friends/partners, but the palpable chemistry between them makes this the rare case where a long-term romantic plot wouldn't be the worst thing.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 am

Hey guys, I watched Hell Fest and these were my thoughts:

https://boxd.it/NArXH
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 pm
I watched some of it and John C. Reilly, who I really like, was so painfully miscast that he alone took me completely out of any connection I could possibly have to the movie. Then there was some other stuff but it was all very typical Hollywood teen stuff for as long as I lasted.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 am
I watched some of it and John C. Reilly, who I really like, was so painfully miscast that he alone took me completely out of any connection I could possibly have to the movie. Then there was some other stuff but it was all very typical Hollywood teen stuff for as long as I lasted.
Oh, bummer! Him being in it was one of my potential interest points! So you started it and then just tapped out due to lack of interest?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 am
Oh, bummer! Him being in it was one of my potential interest points! So you started it and then just tapped out due to lack of interest?
Yeah, and I really like him, but it's a really weird and glaring mis-cast and the rest of it couldn't keep me interested. I don't give up on movies a lot, but I gave up on this one.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 am

Hmm. How about A Simple Favor? Anyone watched that one?
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 am
I watched it for Anna Kendrick. Real solid light little mystery/thriller.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:15 am

The Birds (1963) - 7/10

A common theme which ran throughout Hitchcock's work was how his films would mislead you by starting off one way only for something to overtake them, setting them in a whole new direction. For instance, Rear Window starts off as an ordinary drama only to turn into a murder mystery. Vertigo starts off as a haunting ghost tale only for it to turn into a murder thriller. Psycho starts off as a crime thriller only for it to turn into a horror film. With this film, it starts out as an innocuous romance, only to turn into a creature feature. This turnover isn't nearly as memorable as the other three films I mentioned since the romance between Melanie and Mitch isn't particularly interesting or engaging, meaning my reaction to the turnover was "Good, it's finally moving along." Fortunately though, once it picked up, I was much more involved with it. This film could've just been another B movie, but due to several factors such as a slow, aggrandizing buildup full of slow-burning tension, multiple suspenseful and unnerving sequences which do a more than fine job of getting under your skin, and standout visual set pieces such as the iconic phone booth scene and certain shots of the birds near the ending, it became one of the best films this sub-genre of horror has to offer.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 am
Hey guys, I watched Hell Fest and these were my thoughts:

https://boxd.it/NArXH
I saw that movie in a theater and I had fun. That I didn't had to pay for my ticket helped lowering my expectations.

I used to listen a lot to the Director's Club Podcast (until they decided to switch hosts) and one of the original hosts, Patrick, loved this film. Slashers is one of his favorite genres and he thought this was a good modern example of those. He said, if this was some eighties or nineties production, everyone would think of this as a hidden gem that deserves a Scream Factory release or something. I agree with him.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 am
That was a really fun, wildly uneven movie. Works as a trashy airport-thriller adaptation, but slowly becomes a parody of that genre. Had a good time at the theater with that one. Though I think Spy by the same director was far funnier, than again, it was miles ahead of Ghostbusters.

It seems like something right in your wheelhouse (as far as I can tell, at least).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:11 am

Slentert wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 pm
That was a really fun, wildly uneven movie. Works as a trashy airport-thriller adaptation, but slowly becomes a parody of that genre. Had a good time at the theater with that one. Though I think Spy by the same director was far funnier, than again, it was miles ahead of Ghostbusters.

It seems like something right in your wheelhouse (as far as I can tell, at least).
Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 am
I watched it for Anna Kendrick. Real solid light little mystery/thriller.

Cool--thank, guys! I hadn't realized it was Paul Feig. I really liked Spy and I think I liked The Heat a little more than most.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:22 am

Urgh, Paul Feig is such a hack.

Climax - 6/10

I'm guessing that Godard could handle his dose far better than Gasper. Either way, in typical Noe fashion, despite being technically impressive, and the characters being revealed almost uniformly as being horrible people, the film is ultimately about little but cruelty. Like Void, the film revels in the most cynical side of hip European drug culture, and they probably deserve this.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:27 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:22 am
Urgh, Paul Feig is such a hack.

Climax - 6/10

I'm guessing that Godard could handle his dose far better than Gasper. Either way, in typical Noe fashion, despite being technically impressive, and the characters being revealed almost uniformly as being horrible people, the film is ultimately about little but cruelty. Like Void, the film revels in the most cynical side of hip European drug culture, and they probably deserve this.
Noe is a director I forgot that I should even watch anymore.

And I don't say this as someone who hates him. Just as someone who forgets.