Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Slentert » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:27 am

I saw Climax at an advanced screening last year and I was sitting next to an older man who was laughing very loudly during the entire film. Bizarre experience.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:36 am

Hey, I read somewhere that Bad Moon was not a bad werewolf movie.
I thought I had seen every decent werewolf movie.
Could it be that I missed a decent one? Or was I misled?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:38 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:36 am
That's on my 90s watchlist. Haven't seen it either
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:03 am

Wooley wrote:

Umm . . . here are two things I had to say about it:
My new favorite horror movie character is the dog, Thor, from Bad Moon. Everyone else in the film is the worst, but Thor basically barks out "HE IS A WEREWOLF!" only to be ignored and eventually blamed for one of the monster's killings.

Thor, you're too good for all of them.

Also, these people do not deserve to own a dog. They live in a rural area and when their dog is basically having a freakout/meltdown they're like "What's that boy? You want to go out?" and then let him out the back door into their woods completely unsupervised. At one point the vallain says "You should have listened to the dog!" and instead of being a total cheeseball line, I was like "YES! THANK YOU!".

Also, think of the person you picture when you read the name Hrothgar. Then go look at the actor with that name. Not quite a match, eh
The fact that the dog is the star/hero of the film is such a fun dynamic. Because it basically takes that film plot where one person knows someone is evil but everyone else thinks they're great . . . and makes the person who "gets it" a dog.

I was pretty tepid on the film as a whole (because the people are pretty underdeveloped), but generally I liked it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:11 am

Here is the update to Sleepy Hollow that none of you asked for:

1) The show clearly wasn't into one of the characters, and so that character made a complete and confusing change in personality and was then inelegantly shuffled off of the show.

2) I'm at the beginning of season 3 and both Ichabod and Abbie have new, shorter haircuts and I DO NOT like them. Maybe the actor playing Ichabod just hated wearing hair extensions (if that's what he was doing before); maybe they wanted to make him look a little more modern; maybe they just wanted it to be easier to tell the flashbacks from the present-day stuff because people are dumb. But whatever the reason, I do not approve!

3) Something is really, really off in this first episode of the third season. There's clearly been a real shift. The show looks different (you know, aside from the haircuts), the costuming is different, several characters are just gone, and there's a weird energy between the two leads. Also, the editing is a hot mess.

4) Did the actors playing the two leads have a falling out or something? Their low-key sexy vibes are really lacking. The actor playing Ichabod's mannerisms are reading more "mentally ill" than "old fashioned" (I partly blame the hair, which is horribly styled--he constantly looks like he's been driving with his head out the window). I do know that at some point, the actress playing Abbie leaves the show.

5) The second season wrapped up a major storyline that ran over the first two seasons, and the show has that slight drifting feeling as it waits to establish a new big bad.

6) They are maybe pushing a romantic interest for Abbie and it's her . . . boss? Gross.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:33 am

Wooley wrote:
Bad Moon has the best werewolf violence ever put to film. It's also mixed with a Lassie-esque family movie. It's weird.

I kinda love it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:23 am

Ok. I just watched a trailer for it. It looks absolutely terrible.
But if you guys say to watch it...
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:24 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:23 am
It is worth watching. I feel confident saying that. But between "It was okay" and "That was bizarre and maybe I'm in love with it?" your mileage may vary. It's certainly . . . unique. And the dog is awesome--I meant every word of my praise for Thor.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 am

Watched the first half of Two Evil Eyes. Not bad as a sort of unofficial Creepshow segment, although the ghosts at the end lack imagination, and it's absolute nonsense that this adaptation of "Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" doesn't include the climactic image of the short story: watching helplessly as the living dead man goes through accelerated putrefaction. IT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR, DAMN IT. Not too shabby, though. Layering in the evil wife and her financial aspirations works better than expected. Adrienne Barbeau plays the femme fatale with plausible moments of hesitance and regret.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:23 am
If you don't at least love the opening sequence as its own perfect slice of werewolf fiction, I don't know what to say.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 am
Watched the first half of Two Evil Eyes. Not bad as a sort of unofficial Creepshow segment, although the ghosts at the end lack imagination, and it's absolute nonsense that this adaptation of "Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" doesn't include the climactic image of the short story: watching helplessly as the living dead man goes through accelerated putrefaction. IT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR, DAMN IT. Not too shabby, though. Layering in the evil wife and her financial aspirations works better than expected. Adrienne Barbeau plays the femme fatale with plausible moments of hesitance and regret.
Argento's segment is the stronger of the two. I barely remember Romero's when thinking about the movie.

Barbeau is underrated as an actress. I recently rewatched Escape from New York and while certain assets were prominently on display the entire film, she played the role in an atypical way and brought strength, intensity and genuine emotion to a role that could have easily been played as "bimbo moll."
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

I liked, but didn't love Train to Busan. I feel like a second watch would open up those flaws more. Some of the visuals were flat out cool.

And I might be the only person who couldn't stand Troll 2. I was expecting something funny/silly like The Room or Miami Connection. Instead I just got mostly bad.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm
I liked, but didn't love Train to Busan. I feel like a second watch would open up those flaws more. Some of the visuals were flat out cool.

And I might be the only person who couldn't stand Troll 2. I was expecting something funny/silly like The Room or Miami Connection. Instead I just got mostly bad.
Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

The scene where they share the corncob and then all the popcorn starts popping around them is cinema to equal Fellini and Ozu.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 pm

I thought of you guys.
Especially you, Takoma.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 pm
I thought of you guys.
Especially you, Takoma.

Thank you?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 pm
Argento's segment is the stronger of the two. I barely remember Romero's when thinking about the movie.

Barbeau is underrated as an actress. I recently rewatched Escape from New York and while certain assets were prominently on display the entire film, she played the role in an atypical way and brought strength, intensity and genuine emotion to a role that could have easily been played as "bimbo moll."
Barbeau is really a small treasure, IMO. She's really the best thing in The Fog, really great, always made that character a real 3-dimensional person where I could imagine a past and relationships and different times in her life. Of course, her turn as Wilma in Creepshow is just wonderfully over-the-top and yet, in the context of the type of film she's in, it's not too much, it's just right. And, yes, Maggie in EfNY is a seminal character in Wooley's teenage movie pantheon.
And who can forget her as the voice of the computer in The Thing?! :P
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:39 pm

Thank you?
Because of your love for the movie? Was that not clear?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:52 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:44 am
Because of your love for the movie? Was that not clear?
I'm kidding (it made me think of this).

Also: where is that image from?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:52 am
Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown - the third best Peanuts movie.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:52 am
I'm kidding (it made me think of this).

"Like right here, if you fold it, like right there." :D

I follow some horror and sci-fi pages on Facebook and one of them just randomly posted it. No idea where it came from beyond that.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:24 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:03 am
Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown - the third best Peanuts movie.
Oh yeah, the actual original image. And I actually think it is the 4th-best Peanuts movie.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:30 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:24 am
Oh yeah, the actual original image. And I actually think it is the 4th-best Peanuts movie.
Pft. A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home. Then what? Not counting the TV half-hour specials.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:38 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 am
I follow some horror and sci-fi pages on Facebook and one of them just randomly posted it. No idea where it came from beyond that.
Yeah, I meant the modified image.

Though it was fingers crossed for Boys Can't Be Final Girls, Charlie Brown!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:38 am

Ha! That would be great.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:33 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Now I feel like drawing a parody comic called that. I don't know much about slashers, but if anyone is willing to write it? :shifty:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:30 am
Pft. A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home. Then what? Not counting the TV half-hour specials.
Oh, I follow you, in that case it might be my favorite.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:58 am

Slentert wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:27 am
I saw Climax at an advanced screening last year and I was sitting next to an older man who was laughing very loudly during the entire film. Bizarre experience.
Yeah, well, while
electrocuted children are always hilarious
I'm going to stick with calling out its more misanthropic appeal. As supporting evidence, it appears that the "true life" story it was supposedly based on didn't result in the more debased behavior seen in the film. I have to assume that Noe prefers his more sadistic imagination to reality, and, quite honestly, this also carries some serious questions about his racial presumptions.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:31 am

Captain Terror tipped the scales for me to watch Body at Brighton Rock, and while it's more comedy/thriller than it is horror, it definitely had some scary sequences and I think it well qualifies for this crowd.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 am

Bought Kurosawa's Pulse on Arrow Video's Blu release. Some grain in the image, but decent special features, and, you know, it's one of my favorite horrors of all-time.
NOTE:
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:40 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:58 am
Yeah, well, while
electrocuted children are always hilarious
I'm going to stick with calling out its more misanthropic appeal. As supporting evidence, it appears that the "true life" story it was supposedly based on didn't result in the more debased behavior seen in the film. I have to assume that Noe prefers his more sadistic imagination to reality, and, quite honestly, this also carries some serious questions about his racial presumptions.
I think Climax could've been awesome if it was like a 25-minute short. Now, stretched out over 90 minutes, it becomes tedious and boring. It feels like an empty exercise in misanthropy, because there is no actual weight or human emotion to back it up.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:57 am

I know I'm late to the discussion on it but holy hell Ready or Not was a ton of fun. Seriously one of the most fun horror comedies I've seen in a while. I am also continually impressed with Samara Weaving, between this, Mayhem and The Babysitter she seems like one of the best things going for genre films right now as she is so consistently entertaining in them.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:11 pm

daakmore wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:57 am
I know I'm late to the discussion on it but holy hell Ready or Not was a ton of fun. Seriously one of the most fun horror comedies I've seen in a while. I am also continually impressed with Samara Weaving, between this, Mayhem and The Babysitter she seems like one of the best things going for genre films right now as she is so consistently entertaining in them.
All of my friends who have seen it had a blast in the theater.

And one of them has already procured a wedding dress and some yellow Chucks to go as the bride for Halloween.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I think that got cancelled by the failure of The Happyland Murders.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:56 am

Oz Perkins. I'm in.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am

small chance I'm going to see IT but apparently there is a cameo by
famed horror director Peter Bogdanovich?
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am
Ha, I just watched Opening Night (1977) and Bogdanovich also randomly appeared in that one.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am
Confirmed. Mildly amusing scene too.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Even though I liked the first It (much more than I expected) I don't really have any interest in watching the second one.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:11 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:49 pm
Even though I liked the first It (much more than I expected) I don't really have any interest in watching the second one.
Why not? They're pretty comparable.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:20 pm

I must say, all those negative reviews of It Part 2 feel like they're describing my feelings towards the first one, so I feel free to skip this new one.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 pm

I’m seeing Chapter Two tonight. I liked the first one despite some really bad CGI scares. My big apprehension going into this movie is in both the original novel and TV miniseries the adult stuff is not nearly as engaging or interesting as the kids stuff. So while I’m happy to have a night out at the movies with my friends and I’ll have a good time regardless I’m not super looking forward to three hours of the less interesting part of the story. I’m hoping I’m wrong and will really enjoy it.

I’ll post my thoughts when I get back later.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Dragula is back. I realize it's a niche show (combining reality with drag with horror), but I highly recommend it. Among other things, some of the characters that are created by the contestants are really interesting and do things with the idea of female "monsters" that step outside the typical horror movie realm.

I usually skip the "extermination" challenges because they're too much for me to watch, but the looks themselves make it worth watching.

People on this season include Evah Destruction and Landon Cider. I think it's an interesting look at an "alternative" horror. I'm currently on season 3, but the season 2 episode where they create a Cenobite look is worth checking out.

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 am

new favorite movie!:

The Plague of Florence (1919)

This is included in Kino's Fritz Lang: The Silent Films box set. It was written, but not directed, by Lang. It's pretty much a retelling of Poe's The Masque of the Red Death, as the fancy-pants citizens of Florence attempt to isolate themselves from the common folk and, by extension, the plague that's spreading through the country. I don't think Poe is actually mentioned in the credits or anything, but yeah.

The sets and costumes are impressively extravagant:

And once the plague (in the form of an emaciated woman) is unleashed things get nice and horror-ific.

Highly recommended for those of you with the patience to sit through 100-year-old movies. :up:

Nice copy on Youtube, but the titles are in German:
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:53 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 pm
I’m seeing Chapter Two tonight. I liked the first one despite some really bad CGI scares. My big apprehension going into this movie is in both the original novel and TV miniseries the adult stuff is not nearly as engaging or interesting as the kids stuff. So while I’m happy to have a night out at the movies with my friends and I’ll have a good time regardless I’m not super looking forward to three hours of the less interesting part of the story. I’m hoping I’m wrong and will really enjoy it.

I’ll post my thoughts when I get back later.
Just got back from It Chapter Two and overall I liked it about the same as the first part. It didn’t feel like three hours at all. The CGI scares are still the weakest part, they come off as more funny than anything else. The filmmakers change some stuff to strengthen the third act and for the most part that all works. They knew when to deviate from the book and when to stay true. It feels like an old movie in its storytelling and film language and I mean that in the best way possible. It’s clear, coherent, and cohesive and just from eyeballing it shot on 35. The movie is riddled with cliches and genre tropes which detract a little too but on the whole it’s a satisfying conclusion to the first part. And I thank the giant space turtle for Richie Tozier young and old keeping the levity up.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 am

Captain Terror, thanks for posting that stuff about The Plague of Florence. That flick looks like a real find!

Always excited to learn about silent horror (and horror-adjacent) I haven't seen.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 am
Captain Terror, thanks for posting that stuff about The Plague of Florence. That flick looks like a real find!

Always excited to learn about silent horror (and horror-adjacent) I haven't seen.
:up: Surprised I'd never heard of it till now. Been a Lang fan since '90 or so and a Poe fan even longer. And the print is damn near pristine. Very pleasant surprise to say the least.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 am

new favorite movie!:

The Plague of Florence (1919)

Looks bitchin'.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 am

Boy, IT: Return of Pennywise...

boy oh boy.

Um...

......welp.
All the bonkers shit in this movie, but oh no a cosmic turtle would've been toooooooo much.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 am
Boy, IT: Return of Pennywise...

boy oh boy.

Um...

......welp.
All the bonkers shit in this movie, but oh no a cosmic turtle would've been toooooooo much.
The loss of Chung-hoon Chung as DP and the fact that this script has a sole author, Gary Dauberman, instead of the leftover input of Fukunaga.

You can tell.
NOTE: