Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Takoma1

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Maybe it's just that I so recently read (and was grossed out by--not in a good way) the novel, but I can't even muster the slightest interest in IT. Like, zero. And it's got Bill Hader in it for crying out loud!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm

I've never loved the novel (I'm sure your "it's gross in a bad way" comment is more thoughtful than my take on the book's grossness), but the first flick was an entertaining coming-of-age spook-a-blast, and I was hoping the second flick might find solutions to the book's problems.

The casting of Bill Hader and James Ransone was ingenious. They're fantastic.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm forever going to take some credit for Ransone being cast.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Hey, what's the 411 on Manhattan Baby?

Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm

If you like Fulci you'll get something out of it (his visual style is on point), but he clearly struggles with the relatively family friendly content. Not one of his better movies but still worth a watch if you're a fan.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Manhattan Baby is pretty lesser Fulci.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Today I had myself a thirties double feature on the big screen with Duck Soup and, the movie that does fit this thread, The Black Cat (1934). Featuring Bela Lugosi as a Hungarian doctor who as a decade long vendetta with the Austrian architect played by Boris Karloff, a man with a preference for the macabre. Because of circumstances, a young couple gets mixed up in all of this.

I was really prepared to fully adore this movie, but ended up merely liking it, which of course means it is far from bad. The young couple is unbelievably dull, possibly even purposefully so, as a contrast to the eerie-ness of Karloff and Lugosi (who really hams it up in this one). The production suffered because of many studio interferences, and it shows. You get the sense the filmmaker is holding, like the movie never becomes as dark as it wants to, as it needs to.

The production design of this film is amazing, Karloff's house looks like what the devil would consider "cozy", filled with diagonal shapes and sharp edges. Even Karloff's hair, make-up and wardrobe fits in with the rest of the decor. It would've been interesting to see what Ulmer would have directed otherwise if he didn't got blacklisted for having that affair with a Universal Studio's producer.

Anyone else seen this one and has any opinions on it they'd like to share?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Slentert wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm
Today I had myself a thirties double feature on the big screen with Duck Soup and, the movie that does fit this thread, The Black Cat (1934). Featuring Bela Lugosi as a Hungarian doctor who as a decade long vendetta with the Austrian architect played by Boris Karloff, a man with a preference for the macabre. Because of circumstances, a young couple gets mixed up in all of this.

I was really prepared to fully adore this movie, but ended up merely liking it, which of course means it is far from bad. The young couple is unbelievably dull, possibly even purposefully so, as a contrast to the eerie-ness of Karloff and Lugosi (who really hams it up in this one). The production suffered because of many studio interferences, and it shows. You get the sense the filmmaker is holding, like the movie never becomes as dark as it wants to, as it needs to.

The production design of this film is amazing, Karloff's house looks like what the devil would consider "cozy", filled with diagonal shapes and sharp edges. Even Karloff's hair, make-up and wardrobe fits in with the rest of the decor. It would've been interesting to see what Ulmer would have directed otherwise if he didn't got blacklisted for having that affair with a Universal Studio's producer.

I've seen it once or twice. Or a hundred. ;)
The production design is definitely the star, and especially so since it doesn't rely on Universal's usual standbys of cobwebs and fog. There are no 30s horror films that look like this one. Not sure how many Lugosi/Karloff team-ups you've seen, but Bela often seems to be upstaged by Boris, and this is one time where I don't think that's the case. Fun to watch them go toe-to-toe on equal footing for a change. And the scene where Dr. Pigs-low gets skinned alive in silhouette is one of the more gruesome moments in 30s horror movies.

(Duck Soup is also a favorite. Nice double feature)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Went and saw Ready or Not again (with my sister and with her husband and a friend who both had not seen the film before). Liked it just as much as the first time and noticed some fun details that come with knowing the full trajectory of the story. (For example, one of the
games on the game shelf is called "Sunrise", and it sits right below the game called "Family Ritual".
One thing that I noticed this time was the way that the score evolved with the main character's emotions, and specifically her feelings about her husband.

And this time, knowing that it was coming, I felt like the
scream that Grace does as she gets off of the table the second time
is just the best thing ever.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am

All of this Ready or Not talk had made me curious. Love. Hate. Sounds promising for some kind of reaction.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am
All of this Ready or Not talk had made me curious. Love. Hate. Sounds promising for some kind of reaction.
Well, let me be very specific: this is the kind of light horror-comedy where I find the jokes mostly actually funny and it was a great summer film to see in the theater. I liked the central cast and found it to be fun.

I imagine you might have a more tepid response, but I just thought it was a hoot. I've been surprised by other people liking it as much as I did. I thought it would be one of those films that happened to hit the sweet spot for me but would get a "yeah, I guess it was okay" out of most other people.

At the very least, there's a horror movie scream in there that's a real killer.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 am

Slentert wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm

I had kinda the opposite experience in that I went in with low expectations and felt fairly blown away. I pretty much loved it and thought it was far beyond what it had a right to be. All the things you say of it are true but I also thought this was another great and underrated performance by Karloff, one of Lugosi's best, and I thought the narrative was way more interesting than what I was expecting. Just a spooky, atmospheric pleasure for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm
I've seen it once or twice. Or a hundred. ;)
The production design is definitely the star, and especially so since it doesn't rely on Universal's usual standbys of cobwebs and fog. There are no 30s horror films that look like this one. Not sure how many Lugosi/Karloff team-ups you've seen, but Bela often seems to be upstaged by Boris, and this is one time where I don't think that's the case. Fun to watch them go toe-to-toe on equal footing for a change. And the scene where Dr. Pigs-low gets skinned alive in silhouette is one of the more gruesome moments in 30s horror movies.
Yes.
All of that.

(And by the way, how does one multiquote in this joint?)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am

Had myself an Oz Perkins double feature. Liked both a solid amount as I'm a sucker for slow burn horror when done well (and I will bring great fury to those done poorly, Ti West!) and these definitely scratched that itch. I'm partial to psychological horror over gothic horror, so Blackcoat has got me most pleased in it's seeming mishmash of Polanski horror elements.
Rump

Post by Rump » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm
Hey, what's the 411 on Manhattan Baby?

You'll get sand in places you didn't know had places :shock:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 am
Watched the first half of Two Evil Eyes. Not bad as a sort of unofficial Creepshow segment, although the ghosts at the end lack imagination, and it's absolute nonsense that this adaptation of "Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" doesn't include the climactic image of the short story: watching helplessly as the living dead man goes through accelerated putrefaction. IT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR, DAMN IT. Not too shabby, though. Layering in the evil wife and her financial aspirations works better than expected. Adrienne Barbeau plays the femme fatale with plausible moments of hesitance and regret.
Forgot to say that I finished it, and yeah, Argento's segment was better. Not fantastic, but more interesting, with some curious detours. Reminds me of the Grindhouse split.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 am

I’ve been on slow burn horror binge in an Octoberfest pre-game.

So far, I’ve gotten through both of Oz Perkins’ films (I’m a fan!), Pyewacket (Bleh), Possum (solid bit of Eraserhead meets Spider) and Valley of Shadows (still mulling it over but I liked it! Could definitely see it being accused of being a movie where nothing happens though).
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 am

So far, I’ve gotten through both of Oz Perkins’ films (I’m a fan!), Pyewacket (Bleh), Possum (solid bit of Eraserhead meets Spider) and Valley of Shadows (still mulling it over but I liked it! Could definitely see it being accused of being a movie where nothing happens though).
Have you seen this one?

Think of it as Repulsion but with autumn colours. There's a pretty good blu-ray release from Mondo Macabro from a few years ago.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am
Had myself an Oz Perkins double feature. Liked both a solid amount as I'm a sucker for slow burn horror when done well (and I will bring great fury to those done poorly, Ti West!) and these definitely scratched that itch. I'm partial to psychological horror over gothic horror, so Blackcoat has got me most pleased in it's seeming mishmash of Polanski horror elements.
Glad you enjoyed Blackcoat's Daughter.

Kinda waiting for October to tackle Pretty Thing That Lives in the House.

I see potential for Perkins who does a nice job of creating spooky atmosphere, but my fingers are crossed that he'll get better as a writer.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 am
If you'd like to keep that going, I can recommend November and Hagazussa. I liked the former a lot more but they both scratch the same itch.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm
Have you seen this one?

Think of it as Repulsion but with autumn colours. There's a pretty good blu-ray release from Mondo Macabro from a few years ago.
I didn't think anyone else had seen this one. Whatever I have sure isn't a blue ray though.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:11 am

Paperhouse - 7.5/10

This charming low-budget debut from the director of Candyman is more of a dark fantasy than a horror film, ideally suited for older children or younger teens. The story concerns a young chronically ill girl whose drawings begin to tap into the dream-states of other infirmed children, specifically a boy with muscular dystrophy confined to the paperhouse of the title. This connection of the respites of imagination for children enduring unbearably difficult realities is the heart of the film and makes it much more forgivable when the film turns a bit too literal-minded, and overtly preposterous, in the final act. Like a British analog of a contemporary Amblin production, this film taps into the primal fears and desires of its defiantly independent children protagonists with an old-fashioned sense of wonder, as well as a healthy dollup of bombastic sentimentality in conclusion.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:11 am
Paperhouse - 7.5/10

This charming low-budget debut from the director of Candyman is more of a dark fantasy than a horror film, ideally suited for older children or younger teens. The story concerns a young chronically ill girl whose drawings begin to tap into the dream-states of other infirmed children, specifically a boy with muscular dystrophy confined to the paperhouse of the title. This connection of the respites of imagination for children enduring unbearably difficult realities is the heart of the film and makes it much more forgivable when the film turns a bit too literal-minded, and overtly preposterous, in the final act. Like a British analog of a contemporary Amblin production, this film taps into the primal fears and desires of its defiantly independent children protagonists with an old-fashioned sense of wonder, as well as a healthy dollup of bombastic sentimentality in conclusion.
That one seemed like a film I'd really enjoy going into it, but when I watched it, I was quite disappointed with it. I thought it started off fine, and I enjoyed the buildup. It's just that,
when it finally got to the horror aspect, it scrapped it shortly afterwards in favor of sentimentality. If the director was just going for that, I don't know why so much time was spent on building it up to be a horror
film. It had the potential to be a really good/great film, but I felt the direction ultimately held it back from this status.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:03 am

1) I know none of you were interested in Dragula, but the most recent guest judge was Felissa Rose, aka Angela from Sleepaway Camp! It made me very happy.

2) Tis the season for streaming services to start adding horror films, and I noticed that Amazon Prime currently has Blood and Donuts. It's a quirky little female-directed Canadian vampire flick that I really enjoy. There's a cab driver in debt to some gangsters and a vampire having an existential crisis, and, of course, donuts. I'm not saying it isn't flawed, but I think it's different and lovely. David Cronenberg stops in for a cameo as a crime boss character. Highly recommended, if only because I'd love to discuss it with someone.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Sorceress is more of a drama than a horror film, but I thought it's ideas were interesting enough that I'd love to see a "real" (ie bigger budget, more developed script) version of the story.

A woman named Nina, who was raised in the US, returns to her family in Eastern Europe after the death of her mother. Nina's mother believed herself and her daughter to be witches. Nina starts up a low-key romance with a woman named Katya and things begin to unravel.

This wasn't bad, per se, and there's a pretty great reveal at the end, but it just wasn't enough. The easygoing chemistry between the two leads makes it a very watchable film, but I wanted more horror and a better realized conflict between the two characters instead of them suddenly being at odds with one another.

An interesting swing and a miss.

And yet still a much better "fraught lesbian romance" than The Perfection.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Just bought myself a ticket for a screening of The Lighthouse even though it would take me more than an hour to get there by train just because I wanna see it so badly.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Slentert wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm
Just bought myself a ticket for a screening of The Lighthouse even though it would take me more than an hour to get there by train just because I wanna see it so badly.
I fully support this decision
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:03 am
1) I know none of you were interested in Dragula, but the most recent guest judge was Felissa Rose, aka Angela from Sleepaway Camp! It made me very happy.
I have many questions.
A/ it seems her appearance on the show would be an automatic spoiler, did they somehow avoid that?
B/ I get the connection (actress portraying boy impersonating girl), but in this case the "drag" was hardly a positive thing. I assume that was addressed?

Yeah, I know-- "Just watch the episode, dummy!" Unfortunately I have an intense aversion to reality competition shows. :D
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Sorceress is more of a drama than a horror film, but I thought it's ideas were interesting enough that I'd love to see a "real" (ie bigger budget, more developed script) version of the story.

A woman named Nina, who was raised in the US, returns to her family in Eastern Europe after the death of her mother. Nina's mother believed herself and her daughter to be witches. Nina starts up a low-key romance with a woman named Katya and things begin to unravel.

This wasn't bad, per se, and there's a pretty great reveal at the end, but it just wasn't enough. The easygoing chemistry between the two leads makes it a very watchable film, but I wanted more horror and a better realized conflict between the two characters instead of them suddenly being at odds with one another.

An interesting swing and a miss.

And yet still a much better "fraught lesbian romance" than The Perfection.
You had me at fraught lesbian romance. Where do I find this film?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 pm
I have many questions.
A/ it seems her appearance on the show would be an automatic spoiler, did they somehow avoid that?
B/ I get the connection (actress portraying boy impersonating girl), but in this case the "drag" was hardly a positive thing. I assume that was addressed?

Yeah, I know-- "Just watch the episode, dummy!" Unfortunately I have an intense aversion to reality competition shows. :D
They just say "Our guest starred as Angela in Sleepaway Camp and has gone on to do a ton of horror films." They didn't talk about the plot of the film at all. Not all the guests are drag performers--it's about 2/3 people involved with drag and 1/3 people from horror films. For example, the girl who played Charlie in Hereditary is a judge this season.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 pm
You had me at fraught lesbian romance. Where do I find this film?
Free on Amazon.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:03 am

2) Tis the season for streaming services to start adding horror films, and I noticed that Amazon Prime currently has Blood and Donuts. It's a quirky little female-directed Canadian vampire flick that I really enjoy. There's a cab driver in debt to some gangsters and a vampire having an existential crisis, and, of course, donuts. I'm not saying it isn't flawed, but I think it's different and lovely. David Cronenberg stops in for a cameo as a crime boss character. Highly recommended, if only because I'd love to discuss it with someone.
Added.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:35 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm
Added.
I recommended it to MASSIVE many years back when he was looking for something to watch with his daughter. I was very relieved that they both ended up enjoying it.

Despite some violence, it's primarily an emotion/relationship-driven film, and I'd maybe even borderline use the word "gentle" to describe it.

And I really appreciate that it's interested in both sides of what it would mean to love someone who never ages. I think that the ending is sweet and kind of a stunner.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:38 am

Happy Death Day was a fun little piece of horror fluff.

A self-centered co-ed named Tree is murdered on her birthday by a masked killer, only to wake up at the beginning of that same day. No matter how she changes her routine, she is inevitably stabbed, drowned, blown up, hanged, etc. Working with the young man whose room she wakes up in each morning, Carter, Tree tries to solve the mystery of her own killing.

This is one of those films that has a great hook and then does okay with the execution. Generally speaking, I found that the film's light tone was a bit hit-or-miss when it came to the content it was portraying. For example, in one version of the day, Tree is pinned to a bed by the killer who is atop her. She screams for help and a frat guy enters the room. As she begs him for help, he just gives the killer a thumbs up and leaves, assuming Tree is being raped. Ha? In a later sequence, Tree has an x-ray which reveals that she is sustaining damage from her various encounters. The doctor telling her this would have to assume that Tree has suffered horrible abuse or trauma in her past, right? In these moments when the film goes for darker humor it kind of clashes with the more bip-bop humor of the rest of the movie (such as Tree taking advantage of the whole do-over situation to fart while out on a date or the bitchy hijinks of Tree's fellow sorority sisters).

I kind of wish that the film had stuck more true to the murder mystery aspect of the story. Instead, there's a big emphasis on how bad a person Tree is, and how she comes to realize she needs to change her life. I did appreciate that in the first version of her day we get to see like ten different people who might hold a grudge against her, but the "I need to be a better person" plotline doesn't always mesh to well with the murder stuff. I liked the fact that Carter is a good listening ear for Tree, but ultimately she is in charge of saving herself.

Overall I liked the movie and got quite a few laughs out of it. The resolution is generally satisfying.

Anyone seen the sequel? I'd probably check it out if it's on par with this one.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:47 am

Pretty much agree,Tak. It’s fun but got some problems, one of which is when some characters get closure with Tree over their past but then the day resets when she dies so it didn’t really happen then? I liked it enough to check out the sequel this October.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:35 pm
I recommended it to MASSIVE many years back when he was looking for something to watch with his daughter. I was very relieved that they both ended up enjoying it.

Despite some violence, it's primarily an emotion/relationship-driven film, and I'd maybe even borderline use the word "gentle" to describe it.

And I really appreciate that it's interested in both sides of what it would mean to love someone who never ages. I think that the ending is sweet and kind of a stunner.
That's funny, MASSIVE is the one who recommended it to me many years ago, I just never got around to it. So we're keeping the line going, in a way.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 am

edit
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am

Trying to make a list of "halloween appropriate" movies to watch during October (and not just purely horror movies).

Here are some flicks I have a chance of seeing in a theater:

Inferno
I Married a Witch
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
The Innocents
The Lighthouse
The Hidden
The Devils
Bell, Book and Candle
Scanners
The Fly

For at home, I'm thinking of seeing

Night of the Demon
Dead of Night
Don't Look Now
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Carnival of Souls
Deep Red
Freaks
Masque of the Red Death
Repulsion
Braindead

Maybe I should invite some friends over for that last one.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am

Inferno
I Married a Witch
The Innocents
The Lighthouse
The Hidden
The Devils
Bell, Book and Candle
Scanners
The Fly
So those are all solid choices, I'd say you can't go wrong here. However, if I were given these options I would probably pick The Innocents just because it's a gorgeous widescreen film that would no doubt benefit from the big screen. (Freddie Francis, DP)

And if Caligari is the recent 4K print, that'll also knock your socks off. Looks like it was filmed yesterday.

Not saying these are the best of the list, just ones that I'd like to see on a big screen.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:30 pm

I'd go see the Devils as it seems to be visually opulent but doesn't have a proper HD release. Could be the only chance to see a good looking presentation for a long time to come. Had to order a region B DVD and it is fairly unappealing to look at.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am
Trying to make a list of "halloween appropriate" movies to watch during October (and not just purely horror movies).

Inferno
I Married a Witch
The Innocents
The Lighthouse
The Hidden
The Devils
Bell, Book and Candle
Scanners
The Fly

For at home, I'm thinking of seeing

Night of the Demon
Dead of Night
Don't Look Now
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Carnival of Souls
Deep Red
Freaks
Masque of the Red Death
Repulsion
Braindead

Maybe I should invite some friends over for that last one.
If I could see Inferno in the theater I would absolutely go. That movie may not have much of a narrative (it doesn't) but it is damn pleasing to look at.
I would go to Caligari and The Devils too, i think.
I really like Bell, Book and Candle a lot, but it can be watched at home.

And from the "home" list, what have you seen and not seen? (And, ooh!, Masque Of The Red Death, nice one!)
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm
And from the "home" list, what have you seen and not seen? (And, ooh!, Masque Of The Red Death, nice one!)
Of all the movies mentioned, I have only seen The Fly before. I call myself a noob for a reason. :D
Masque has been on my to watch-list for a while now, so I'm really excited to finally sit down and actually watch it.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:30 pm
I'd go see the Devils as it seems to be visually opulent but doesn't have a proper HD release. Could be the only chance to see a good looking presentation for a long time to come. Had to order a region B DVD and it is fairly unappealing to look at.
There isn't a chance I would miss out on that The Devils screening. Though it isn't advertised as such, I suspect it might be the uncensored version of the film, since I know that specific theater has played that cut before. I don't imagine them having multiple prints lying around of that one.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
Of all the movies mentioned, I have only seen The Fly before. I call myself a noob for a reason. :D
Masque has been on my to watch-list for a while now, so I'm really excited to finally sit down and actually watch it.
Oh, dude, you're gonna have the best Horrorthon/Hauntedween/Whatever.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm
Oh, dude, you're gonna have the best Horrorthon/Hauntedween/Whatever.
I know, it's why I wear that "noob" title with proud, I'm aware of all the great movies waiting for me to watch for the first time. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
Seriously, Night of the Demon is a must. Try to get Night and not Curse (which is a shorter edit of the same film, if I remember).
That, Don't Look Now, Texas Chainsaw, Carnival Of Souls, and Freaks I would consider Horror Essentials.
The greatness of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre simply cannot be overstated. Lightning In A Bottle, if ever there was any.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm
So those are all solid choices, I'd say you can't go wrong here. However, if I were given these options I would probably pick The Innocents just because it's a gorgeous widescreen film that would no doubt benefit from the big screen. (Freddie Francis, DP)

And if Caligari is the recent 4K print, that'll also knock your socks off. Looks like it was filmed yesterday.

Not saying these are the best of the list, just ones that I'd like to see on a big screen.
I'll try to catch as much of those screenings as possible. I might skip on that Cronenberg double feature though, because it is playing quite late and I might not be able to get a train back home.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm
Seriously, Night of the Demon is a must. Try to get Night and not Curse (which is a shorter edit of the same film, if I remember).
I have recently purchased the Indicator blu-ray release of Night of the Demon, which contains all cuts of the film, so I'm very excited to watch that one.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:03 pm

Texas Chainsaw is exhausting. I saw 45 minutes of it and stopped it there because it felt like 2 hours. It definitely has an effect though and I'd recommend it, but I'll probably never finish it.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Charles wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:03 pm
Texas Chainsaw is exhausting. I saw 45 minutes of it and stopped it there because it felt like 2 hours. It definitely has an effect though and I'd recommend it, but I'll probably never finish it.
The original? I’ve only seen it once and definitely had a unique reaction to it and would like to watch it again but can’t find it on any streaming services. Maybe I’ll just rent the dvd.