Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm
Have you seen The Burning?
Yeah. It's alright. It tries much to hard to be more of serious film than F13 or the Prowler so it spends over an hour setting up the killings in exchange for character development. The problem is that I still didn't find the characters demonstrably stronger than the other films and when the kills come, they're set up fairly haphazardly like Cropsey managed to stand up in that boat or the hiding in the sleeping bag gag. They're extremely silly and betray the more serious tone. It becomes a slog and I would definitely rank it towards the bottom:

1) Maniac
2) F13th: the Final Friday
3) the Prowler
4) F13th
5) the Burning

Also, outside of the giallo tinged prostitute kill, Cropsey is a pretty lame slasher. Now, defend the Weinsteins' creation!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Ugh, no, dude. The Burning is an actual quality movie with insane gore that delivers the slasher goods while making you halfway care about the people getting killed. And it's got Costanza! I can't believe you'd look past all the shite parts of The Prowler and knock The Burning for actually trying to be good.

Correct Savini slasher rankings:
1) Maniac
2) The Burning
3) Friday the 13th
4) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
5) The Prowler
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Ugh, no, dude. The Burning is an actual quality movie with insane gore that delivers the slasher goods while making you halfway care about the people getting killed. And it's got Costanza! I can't believe you'd look past all the shite parts of The Prowler and knock The Burning for actually trying to be good.

Correct Savini slasher rankings:
1) Maniac
2) The Burning
3) Friday the 13th
4) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
5) The Prowler
It TRIES to be a good movie. It TRIES to make me care about the character. But it all comes off as hackish and flatly directed bore that lacks the skill in character building to transcend the genre trappings.

What insane gore? There's the hand chop. And... Really conventional stabbings done with one of the lamer killing tools (garden sheers) until at random they give him a flame thrower, of which he does nothing interesting.

The movie is exceptionally sloppy formally to a degree that I can't abide, especially in a slasher that is asking to actually be taken seriously. I admire the attempt but I find it a bore that doesn't engage me.

Meanwhile, there's a wonderful, straightforward simplicity to the Prowler. It is very upfront in that it's about some teens getting the shit killed out of them and virtually every kill is the point. Those kills are inventive, visceral and any one tops the best kills in the Burning. Perhaps if Joseph Zito had directed the Burning, I'd feel differently, but Zito is an unsung king of schlock alongside William Lustig and Larry Cohen.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm

I found it a lot less hackish and flatly directed than you did, although I will admit the editing during some of the kills was pretty sloppy. And the characters are much better drawn out than in the average slasher.

I can't give The Prowler a pass on well executed kill scenes because everything around it kind of sucks. Sure, the gore is well done, but I never found any actual tension around those moments.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 pm

The Burning is easily one of the better 80s slashers. It has real personality. And I'm not sure how one could think it takes itself very seriously when you have the absurdity of the raft scene smack dab in the middle of it. There is a visceral and dumb and surreal level of horror during that whole protracted scene.

The Prowler is alright but mostly standard fare. In fact I really barely remember it much at all.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm
I found it a lot less hackish and flatly directed than you did, although I will admit the editing during some of the kills was pretty sloppy. And the characters are much better drawn out than in the average slasher.

I can't give The Prowler a pass on well executed kill scenes because everything around it kind of sucks. Sure, the gore is well done, but I never found any actual tension around those moments.
The whole thing is sloppily edited. The entire climax is a continuity nightmare that requires the protagonist to repeatedly drop and pick up an ax at random because they tried to create an extended sequence in post. They also use still frames from earlier scenes.

I don’t think having “better drawn” characters works in its favor. Do they have more depth than the Prowler? Sure. Are they deep enough to be “good characters?” No. They waste time trying to invest in something that they aren’t good enough to make a substantial difference.

Zito does more visually in F13th the Final Friday when he has Barbara Howard try to primp herself before going off to lose her virginity but also to her death. It's a moment of more humanity that the leering jokes and teases of hiding clothes in the Burning.

When I'm watching a slasher, I'd rather have bad characters I can laugh at with great gore than mediocre characters and gore compromised by poor editing and filmmaking.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm

As far as King adaptations, for me...

The Shining
Creepshow
Carrie
Dead Zone
Misery
Apt Pupil
Christine
Gerald's Game
Cat's Eye
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:03 pm

I'm the last person that should weigh in with an opinion about slashers, so...here's my opinion about slashers.
I gave myself a crash course last October, most of them first-time viewings, and The Prowler was one of the ones I enjoyed the most. Now, I hated most of them so that's faint praise, and I'll probably never watch it again, but I just find it perplexing that a slasher fan would think it was so clearly worse than the others. So I support your decision to give it another shot, in another words. Wooley, that is.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Week 1 of my all-1990s October:

Edward Scissorhands - Possibly my favorite Burton film. Makes me wish he'd go back to filming his own stories.
Sleepy Hollow - I've soured on this one over the years. The "mystery" element is boring and unnecessary. Absolutely ADORED this movie in 1999, however.
Candyman - Loved it. Thank you to those of you that have put it on my radar over the years.
Se7en - Saw this in its theatrical run (with my parents!), rented it about a year later, and haven't watched it since then, and yet so many moments were indelibly etched in my brain. Great film.
Exorcist III - This one holds up too. I wish Blatty made more movies.

Those are all rewatches, with the exception of Candyman.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:03 pm
I'm the last person that should weigh in with an opinion about slashers, so...here's my opinion about slashers.
I gave myself a crash course last October, most of them first-time viewings, and The Prowler was one of the ones I enjoyed the most. Now, I hated most of them so that's faint praise, and I'll probably never watch it again, but I just find it perplexing that a slasher fan would think it was so clearly worse than the others. So I support your decision to give it another shot, in another words. Wooley, that is.
I’m glad to see someone else give the Prowler some degree of praise. It’s one of the few slashers to drop my jaw multiple times.

What all did you watch?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 am
I’m glad to see someone else give the Prowler some degree of praise. It’s one of the few slashers to drop my jaw multiple times.

What all did you watch?
Here's my post from last year, listing everything I watched. What I'm trying to say is that even the good ones were cruddy on some level, so I don't see why the Prowler would get singled out as being particularly terrible, especially given the superior makeup/effects stuff. There's movies on this list that I've completely forgotten, so just the fact that I remember The Prowler's kills says something.
Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 pm
"HOW I SPENT MY OCTOBER", by Captain Terror

First-timers:

The Lost Boys (1987)
Prom Night (1980)
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)
Final Exam (1981)
Child's Play (1988)
House II: the Second Story (1987)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)
Pumpkinhead (1988)
Eyes of Fire (1983)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
The Last Horror Film (1982)
The Gate (1987)
Demon Wind (1990)
The Prowler (1981)
The Hitcher (1986)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Don't Go in the Woods (1981)
Scarecrows (1988)
The Devonsville Terror (1983)
In a Glass Cage (1986)
The Boogey Man (1980)
Blood Rage (1987)
The Final Terror (1983)
Terror Train (1980)
Firestarter (1984)
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)
Trick or Treats (1982)
Pet Sematary (1989)
The Mutilator (1984)
Sorority House Massacre (1986)
Dead & Buried (1981)
Scared to Death (1980)
Cutting Class (1989)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Sole Survivor (1984)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Cujo (1983)
Don't Go in the House (1979)
Frightmare (1983)

Although I sort of exaggerated my grumpiness for comedic effect throughout the month, most of those were at least fun to sit through even if they were terrible. (Except for Slumber Party II. That movie can bite me so hard.)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 am
Here's my post from last year, listing everything I watched. What I'm trying to say is that even the good ones were cruddy on some level, so I don't see why the Prowler would get singled out as being particularly terrible, especially given the superior makeup/effects stuff. There's movies on this list that I've completely forgotten, so just the fact that I remember The Prowler's kills says something.
Solid list that covers slashers that I love both ironically and unironically. I’m also baffled by the notion that the Prowler is particularly terrible or subpar. In many ways, it is to slashers what something like Crank is to action. Unpretentious, to the point, extreme and my kind of ridiculous. I can’t stand tepid filmmaking.

I haven’t seen:

Final Exam
The Last Horror Film
Terror Train
Cutting Class
Don’t Go in the House

At least from those I recognize as being slashers. How’d you feel about these?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 am
I haven’t seen:

Final Exam
The Last Horror Film
Terror Train
Cutting Class
Don’t Go in the House

At least from those I recognize as being slashers. How’d you feel about these?
The Last Horror Film was excellent, I recommend that one. (That was suggested by Crumbsroom)
Final Exam sort of stuck in my craw, for reasons that would spoil things. I'd love for someone else to watch it and tell me what they think.
Terror Train was about as good as Prom Night, et al. I guess. I have relatively positive feelings towards that one.
I remember very little about Cutting Class and Don't Go In The House. I gave the latter a rare 4-star rating, though, so I guess I liked it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:30 am

Cutting Class is a must see. I mean, it's kind of awful, but you won't be bored.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 am

I just watched Hereditary. It was pretty good.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:03 pm
Cool.
But I did think it was the worst.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 am

As Above So Below - Hey, that didn't suck and in fact was kinda okay!
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 am
It's one that has some really great rewatch value.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 am
Saw it last week and damn, that "middle" scene alone? Wow.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:01 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 am
As Above So Below - Hey, that didn't suck and in fact was kinda okay!
I found it acceptable too! I have very rudimentary knowledge of hermeticism, but I can't tell if there's any intended meaning there or if it's just a gimmick, but at least I appreciate that there's nothing obviously bad in the catacombs. I don't think it's super deep.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am

Don't Go In The House is very much in the vein of Maniac, if not quite on the same level. Definitely recommended, if pretty uncomfortable viewing.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 am

Charles wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:01 pm
I found it acceptable too! I have very rudimentary knowledge of hermeticism, but I can't tell if there's any intended meaning there or if it's just a gimmick, but at least I appreciate that there's nothing obviously bad in the catacombs. I don't think it's super deep.
I don't think it's a gimmick, but it's definitely so much in the text of the story that there's not too much to think about after you're done. The movie done chewed the food for you.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 am

They Live (1988) - 8/10

I had quite a lot of fun with this one. If I watch it with my brain turned on, I see a smart film which uses social commentary to attack Reaganomics through the use of several clever sequences and visual clues which reinforce the point of how the upper classes step on, use, and control those below them. There's also a racial subtext shown by how the lower classes and poor neighborhoods consist of mixed races as opposed to the upper classes, which mostly consist of white people. If I watch it with my brain turned off, I get an exciting film full of several well-choreographed fight scenes such as the famous street fight, several minimalist yet intriguing black and white vistas of the hidden city, and occasional moments of the director having fun with the film such as the Siskel and Ebert joke at the end. The only minor thing which kind of bugged me were the occasional one-liners said before various scenes of violence (iconic line or not, the bubblegum quote was beyond forced). Overall, I had a blast with this one and it made for a great breath of fresh air considering how the first two films I saw this month had serious tones.

I also revisited The Evil Dead this weekend, and I enjoyed it a great deal more this time around. Many of the things which bothered me on my first viewing didn't effect me as much, if at all, and I also found more things to love about it such as a vastly heightened sense of appreciation for the cinematography which was often unpleasant to look at (I mean this in a good way), fantastic to look at in the amounts of crazy and over-the-top effects presented onscreen, and the sometimes unconventional camera placements which did a fine job at matching the tone of the film. I also enjoyed how the film posed the central question of whether or not the characters had a chance of surviving or if they were simply fighting a battle they had no chances of winning, implying that the demonic force was just toying with them. So, in that sense, it generates its scares in a way similar to how The Blair Witch Project did. Overall, I'd say it's a 9/10 for me right now, and considering how much I loved it, I might also rewatch Evil Dead II this month to see if I warm up to it as well.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 am

Despite being overly familiar with the plot through cultural osmosis, I came to realize that I hadn't actually seen The Omen in full today as I was watching it. Certainly, had I ACTUALLY watched it, the brutality of those kill sequences (which mirror many scenes in Donner's Lethal Weapon) would have stuck with me, so I found myself perpetually surprised and pleased with the ghoulish fun on display. It is certainly a step down from Rosemary's Baby and the Exorcist but I think it's a fairly small step, still in quite good standing.

I bought the franchise so the others will be coming up shortly.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 am

Yeah The Omen is fun. Watched it a bunch as a kid.

I just watched Happy Death Day 2U. I liked the first well enough but where that one was simple the sequel was messy, overcomplicated and left a bunch of loose ends. I guess if you really like the characters and the world you might enjoy it. Tree is still lots of fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am
Don't Go In The House is very much in the vein of Maniac, if not quite on the same level. Definitely recommended, if pretty uncomfortable viewing.
Yes, I watched and wrote that one up last year and, while I hate to say people need to see the more violent version, there are at least two prints out there and one of them cuts the more violent scenes out and it really does significantly reduce the impact and the horror of what's going on.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 am

I also revisited The Evil Dead this weekend, and I enjoyed it a great deal more this time around. Many of the things which bothered me on my first viewing didn't effect me as much, if at all, and I also found more things to love about it such as a vastly heightened sense of appreciation for the cinematography which was often unpleasant to look at (I mean this in a good way), fantastic to look at in the amounts of crazy and over-the-top effects presented onscreen, and the sometimes unconventional camera placements which did a fine job at matching the tone of the film. I also enjoyed how the film posed the central question of whether or not the characters had a chance of surviving or if they were simply fighting a battle they had no chances of winning, implying that the demonic force was just toying with them. So, in that sense, it generates its scares in a way similar to how The Blair Witch Project did. Overall, I'd say it's a 9/10 for me right now, and considering how much I loved it, I might also rewatch Evil Dead II this month to see if I warm up to it as well.
Yesss.
And, you will, ED2 is a straight-up masterpiece.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Yesss.
And, you will, ED2 is a straight-up masterpiece.
Out of curiosity, do you prefer 1 or 2?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pm
Out of curiosity, do you prefer 1 or 2?
I prefer 2 probably for the exact reasons other prefer 1. It's just a little more polished and complete.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 am
Yeah The Omen is fun. Watched it a bunch as a kid.

I just watched Happy Death Day 2U. I liked the first well enough but where that one was simple the sequel was messy, overcomplicated and left a bunch of loose ends. I guess if you really like the characters and the world you might enjoy it. Tree is still lots of fun.
Oh, darn!

I liked (but did not love) the first one. A shame to hear the second is a step down.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 am
Despite being overly familiar with the plot through cultural osmosis, I came to realize that I hadn't actually seen The Omen in full today as I was watching it. Certainly, had I ACTUALLY watched it, the brutality of those kill sequences (which mirror many scenes in Donner's Lethal Weapon) would have stuck with me, so I found myself perpetually surprised and pleased with the ghoulish fun on display. It is certainly a step down from Rosemary's Baby and the Exorcist but I think it's a fairly small step, still in quite good standing.

I bought the franchise so the others will be coming up shortly.
I wouldn't put The Omen in the pantheon of great horror films (as I considered it to be when I was younger) but it is right at the top of the second tier pack. A big bruising performance by Peck, great side characters, atmospheric set pieces and just generally a class act for a movie with so much gruesome in it. I love it a lot even if I feel the older I've become the less impact it now seems to have.

I know I had a bit of fondness for the sequel but it probably is only okay at best.bhavent seen it in years.

I recall hating the rest of the sequels
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Evil Dead 2 is really brilliant and one of the strongest and most unique films in horror. But my heart will always be with the original. Few films are quite so gleefully nihilistic and it is the rare specimen that manages to make gore legit frightening instead of just gross.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 am

You don't like Omen 3, Crummy? The inclusion of Sam Neil has me anticipating it.

Also, anyone else dig Curtains? It's got a 70's psychological thriller meets 80's slasher vibe that I liked. Both elements are underdeveloped but are entertaining in their own right.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 am
You don't like Omen 3, Crummy? The inclusion of Sam Neil has me anticipating it.

Also, anyone else dig Curtains? It's got a 70's psychological thriller meets 80's slasher vibe that I liked. Both elements are underdeveloped but are entertaining in their own right.
i think I was about ten when I saw part 3, and my memory is almost nil. I just remember the fact that I thought it was incredibly dull.

Curtains is even better than that. I was caught up in how underdeveloped certain parts felt the first time I watched it, but a recent reviewing of it (where I just let it be what it is) revealed it to be a really great bit of creepy surrealism. It deserves much greater recognition than it gets.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 am
i think I was about ten when I saw part 3, and my memory is almost nil. I just remember the fact that I thought it was incredibly dull.

Curtains is even better than that. I was caught up in how underdeveloped certain parts felt the first time I watched it, but a recent reviewing of it (where I just let it be what it is) revealed it to be a really great bit of creepy surrealism. It deserves much greater recognition than it gets.
Well, I'll work my way through them this October and let you know if it deserves reassessment.

I do think Curtains will grow on me. It feels greater than the sum of it's parts and I definitely feel it should be better known. I found the Synapse Blu for $3.99 (sleeve was slightly damaged but the disc was pristine) and it strikes me as an incredible deal.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 am

I just watched Howl, a British movie from 2015 about people trapped on a train with a werewolf, pretty straightforward. Some piss poor editing and a couple dumb character decisions are balanced out by a pretty good looking monster and some Jurassic Park-inspired tension.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 am
Well, I'll work my way through them this October and let you know if it deserves reassessment.

I do think Curtains will grow on me. It feels greater than the sum of it's parts and I definitely feel it should be better known. I found the Synapse Blu for $3.99 (sleeve was slightly damaged but the disc was pristine) and it strikes me as an incredible deal.
I only have a washed out VHS rip, and so can only imagine how good a proper copy would be.

It's probably one of the reasons I was very mixed on it with first watch. That and it leaves so much so (mysteriously) unexplored.

The movie seems like a puzzle that only teases deeper answers, but that's part of its charm.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 am
I just watched Howl, a British movie from 2015 about people trapped on a train with a werewolf, pretty straightforward. Some piss poor editing and a couple dumb character decisions are balanced out by a pretty good looking monster and some Jurassic Park-inspired tension.
Yeah, it was some pretty good fun. I enjoyed it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:05 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am
I only have a washed out VHS rip, and so can only imagine how good a proper copy would be.

It's probably one of the reasons I was very mixed on it with first watch. That and it leaves so much so (mysteriously) unexplored.

The movie seems like a puzzle that only teases deeper answers, but that's part of its charm.
Amazon just has a 4x3 version. Which probably means it was edited for television.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 am
Sounds like they really captured the essence of Ginsberg's poetry.

Crummy, you gotta get on that Synapse Blu Ray game, yo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 pm

"I'm with you in England, where you eat the flesh of the hipsters of London..."
Last Great Movie Seen
From Beyond (Gordon, 1995)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 am

Curtains is awesome.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 am

Outside of a terrible final shot, Angel Heart felt tailor made for my interests and I'm ashamed at not having watched it till now.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:34 am

Book of Blood was very . . . meh.

Like a lot of Barker's adaptations, it has some neat ideas and a handful of shocking and memorable visuals, but lacks solid characterization and the ending is both a little confusing and pretty unsatisfying.

A woman who has some psychic ability, Mary, goes to a house where strange events have happened. (Specifically, in a pretty gruesome moment, a young woman's skin is pulled off of her face by an unseen force). Mary and her assistant end up working with Simon, also a young psychic.

The film is kind of a mish-mash of Barker's usual themes. The film tries for eroticism, which largely falls flat. The sexual relationship between Mary and Simon never particularly convinced me, and the film seems almost afraid to push the more taboo or strange aspects of their relationship, like Mary's maternal mannerisms around Simon at times, or a scene where she's having a "sexy" dream about him and she wakes to find him in her doorway, telling her that she was crying.

This is one of those movies that feels like they had about 60 minutes of material and padded it out to more of a feature length. There are also some dodgy moments of CGI, particularly a scene where Simon is nude but they decided "no penis!!!" and so they just . . . threw this weird, nonsensical CGI shadow over his crotch. I also have to say that there's something kind of lame about a film that's willing to show a teenage girl being raped and flayed on screen, but decides to go all coy when it comes to male nudity.

Also, it took me a while to place the actor playing Simon, before figuring out that he's sexy modern Robin Hood.

The film wasn't a total waste, but it's nothing you should rush out to see.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 am

I just watched the Pet Sematary remake. Hey! This movie is not good. I’ve read the book and seen the original a while back and don’t have strong opinions on them one way or another. They’re all pretty bleh.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 am
I just watched the Pet Sematary remake. Hey! This movie is not good. I’ve read the book and seen the original a while back and don’t have strong opinions on them one way or another. They’re all pretty bleh.
"Yah, lotta history down that rawd."
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:04 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 am
I think the book was one of King’s slowest burns that really hits hard in the last 20 pages and is likely his best ending.

Both adaptations don’t stick to this ending and are all the worse for it. I was shocked to like the remake less than the first adaptation, as I don’t hold it to particularly high regard either.

So... mostly agreement.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Pet Sematary (the book) has a great ending, for sure.

If any of you have read Revival, that's probably the next best for me. Still thinking about that one.

When King wants to get dark, bastard can get dark.
NOTE:
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Alright, some Halloween appropriate movie watching in the past few days.

The Hidden (1987)
So much fun. Starts with an amazing car chase sequence and never lets you go from that point on. Kyle Maclachan is so good in this, he is perfect for this kind of fish-outta-water-roles. That "happy" ending is so deliciously fucked up.
If you don't know what this one is about, keep it that way and just watch it. Just enjoy the ride.

Night of the Demon (1957)
Last year I watched most of the RKO/Val Lewton movies on the big screen and I was left wanting more. This perfectly filled that noir-ish horror-loving hole in my heart that I was left with. I'm more and more convinced that Jacques Tourneur is one of the greatest directors of all time. This also slightly reminded me of the French horror fable Carnival of Sinners, directed by his father.

Blind Vaysha (2016)
Animated short film made in a linocut-style, that combined with a story inspired by Bulgarian folklore, gives the entire thing a very eerie touch. Only 8 minutes long and available to watch online. Highly recommended.

Das Cabines Des Dr. Caligari (1920)
Silent cinema can be very daunting and overwhelming for a modern viewer like myself, it makes me kind of afraid to give them a chance. But once in a while you watch a movie like Caligari, and it opens up a whole new world to you and gives you the courage to keep on exploring.

Dead of Night (1945)
Didn't know this was an Ealing Studios production before going in. One of those rare anthology films where the actual wrap-around is even more interesting than the actual segments. The quality of the segments is overall pretty consistent, except one, the golf segment starring Basil Redford, that feels the most like a traditional Ealing Studios comedy, sticks out like a sore thumb. But that final segment with the dummy and that amazing ending make it all worth it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Night of the Demon is one of the greatest of all horror movies.