Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm
I loved that book and movie as a kid, glad to know it holds up.
I was 19 when it was released, so it wasn't on my radar at all back then. Didn't even know Jim Henson was involved until the other night.
The end
had a tacked-on quality to it, so I suspected that Dahl's book ended with the kid remaining a mouse. My research has proven that to be the case, and the end of the novel sounds heartbreaking (in a sweet way). Too bad the film didn't stick to that, but I enjoyed it anyway.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:07 pm
re: In the Tall Grass, some lovely and haunting visuals, a few standout moments that make the viewing worth it, some of the acting was too big too fast for me (the brother in particular), the overall structure felt repetitive and like a less successful version of
Christopher Smith's Triangle.
I don't regret watching it.
It seems as though we are of the same mind. I couldn’t help but wonder why Nicoli decided to make this 1hr 40+ mins rather than a lean, mean, brisk 1hr 20 mins flick. It would have benefitted so much structurally from that.

So... pretty close to complete agreement.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am

The only downside to The Witches is having to constantly explain to people that I'm not talking about Hocus Pocus.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am
The only downside to The Witches is having to constantly explain to people that I'm not talking about Hocus Pocus.
Ha! Watching that tonight (first time).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:47 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 am
Ha! Watching that tonight (first time).
One of the only films that really scared me as a child. We watched it all the time.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:47 am
One of the only films that really scared me as a child. We watched it all the time.
Hocus Pocus?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 am
Hocus Pocus?
The Witches.

Though we did watch Hocus Pocus quite a bit as well.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 am
I'm not necessarily knocking it, but I can't see it scaring a child.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am
I'm not necessarily knocking it, but I can't see it scaring a child.
The scene where the little girl is kidnapped in the alley really upset me. The element of her being trapped in the painting was really upsetting to me, specifically the idea that her parents could see her but not help her. Also the part where he goes back to the hotel room and the grandmother is unconscious and he can't wake her up.

And as a little kid I did really find the look of the witches (especially the grand high witch) scary.

Maybe "disturbed" would be a better word than scared. I read the book a few years back with some students of mine and still found many of those elements of the story upsetting.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 am

*sigh*

I meant that I can't see Hocus Pocus scaring a child. It's a fun enough movie (for kids), but Witches is exceedingly superior.

This is precisely the kind of confusion that makes my point.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 am
The Witches.

I watched The Witches about a week ago, shared my thoughts upthread somewhere.
Just finished Hocus Pocus and while I can understand why it's a Halloween favorite for a certain generation, I'd say The Witches is by far the better film.
Controversial opinion: Nicolas Roeg is a better director than Kenny "High School Musical" Ortega. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:18 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am
Truth.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:20 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 am
The scene where the little girl is kidnapped in the alley really upset me. The element of her being trapped in the painting was really upsetting to me, specifically the idea that her parents could see her but not help her. Also the part where he goes back to the hotel room and the grandmother is unconscious and he can't wake her up.

And as a little kid I did really find the look of the witches (especially the grand high witch) scary.

Maybe "disturbed" would be a better word than scared. I read the book a few years back with some students of mine and still found many of those elements of the story upsetting.
I agree with you, I was older, but the movie works because it actually is frequently scary and disturbing and just goes on doing its thing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 am
*sigh*

I meant that I can't see Hocus Pocus scaring a child. It's a fun enough movie (for kids), but Witches is exceedingly superior.

This is precisely the kind of confusion that makes my point.
I'm surprised by this, because I've never encountered anyone who confused The Witches with Hocus Pocus. They're not even the same kind of movie to me. (Though, yes, I did misunderstand which movie you were referencing in your post because I didn't realize you hadn't quoted the whole thing).

The Witches is a (child-accessible) horror movie with some cheesy comedy thrown in here and there.

Hocus Pocus is a comedy with a "horror story" context.

I will admit, though, that the opening scene of Hocus Pocus where the witches suck the life out of the main character's little sister, killing her, was kind of scary for me as a kid. As was the corpse with his mouth sewn shut, despite the character being played for laughs.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:06 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 am
I'm surprised by this, because I've never encountered anyone who confused The Witches with Hocus Pocus.
Happens to me all of the time. Probably because of the relative proximity of the two films in witchy subject matter and time. Witches wasn't a hit, and found its video audience at roughly the same time as Hocus Pocus was coming out. I had an inexhaustable amount of instances while working at video stores in the late 90s of people asking for Witches with Bette Midler. And even today there's a weird "Mandela Effect"-esque insistence on confusing the two. I don't know why. I'm merely a witness.
Foolish Swami

Post by Foolish Swami » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 am

Watching Swamp Thing 2, it's fun in an 80s Island of Dr. Moreau sort of way.

This little guy kills it though

[youtube]https://youtu.be/jWEKgxSkdXA[/youtube]
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am

While not without its flaws, The Lighthouse is a fascinating experience, where you eventually become just as loopy as the main character. There is a level of uncertainty while watching this movie, you never know what is real and what's not, you get so obsessed with all these small little details the movie is layered with until you just drown in the ink black pool of madness.
After the screening, a lot of people started randomly laughing because they just didn't knew how else to respond. My favorite kind of theater visits.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:06 am
Happens to me all of the time. Probably because of the relative proximity of the two films in witchy subject matter and time. Witches wasn't a hit, and found its video audience at roughly the same time as Hocus Pocus was coming out. I had an inexhaustable amount of instances while working at video stores in the late 90s of people asking for Witches with Bette Midler. And even today there's a weird "Mandela Effect"-esque insistence on confusing the two. I don't know why. I'm merely a witness.
Huh.

It's strange to me because in my head they occupy such different categories of what kind of films they are.

Although I do have to say that, also having worked at a video store, lots of people will ask for a movie by just giving it the title of a thing in the movie.

"Do you have Coast Guard?"
"You mean The Guardian, the film about the guys in the Coast Guard?"
"Yeah!"

I would think it's less people confusing the films and more them saying the name of a title they've created that just happens to also be the title of an actual movie.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm
I couldn’t help but wonder why Nicoli decided to make this 1hr 40+ mins rather than a lean, mean, brisk 1hr 20 mins flick. It would have benefitted so much structurally from that.
Yes. Yes to this. I wonder if there's a push for filmmakers to make 100-minute films. Maybe that's better for distributors in some way? The sweet spot you're supposed to hit for spec scripts is 90-100 pages, with 100 as a broad target. We need more 80-minute horror flicks in general.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm
We need more 80-minute horror flicks in general.
Preach.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm
Preach.
Thank you for coming to my Dead Talk.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Slentert wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am
While not without its flaws, The Lighthouse is a fascinating experience, where you eventually become just as loopy as the main character. There is a level of uncertainty while watching this movie, you never know what is real and what's not, you get so obsessed with all these small little details the movie is layered with until you just drown in the ink black pool of madness.
After the screening, a lot of people started randomly laughing because they just didn't knew how else to respond. My favorite kind of theater visits.
Confused laughter? Sign me up! :up:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm
Yes. Yes to this. I wonder if there's a push for filmmakers to make 100-minute films. Maybe that's better for distributors in some way? The sweet spot you're supposed to hit for spec scripts is 90-100 pages, with 100 as a broad target. We need more 80-minute horror flicks in general.
I do think there’s a push. David Sandberg spoke about wanting to make 80 min movies, calling that “the perfect length,” but was only able to do that once (Lights Out). Since then, his films have gotten progressively more commercial and longer, with Annabelle Creation clocking in at 1hr 40+ mins and Shazam carrying the overlong superhero trend with 2hrs 12mins, which is probably an actual 2 hrs, where most are sans credits and stings.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 pm

What's kinda crazy is how Shazam! is one of the shortest of modern superhero movies, outside of your Ant-Man films.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 pm
What's kinda crazy is how Shazam! is one of the shortest of modern superhero movies, outside of your Ant-Man films.
I’ve noticed that many superhero films aren’t actually THAT long (2hrs seems to be the average) but due to factoring in the credits and stings, they get inflated by like 15mins. The first two Avengers films are only like 2hrs and 15 mins before credits but get billed much longer.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 am

Alright.
Simple but serious question.
How much better are practical effects than CGI?
Is it just like 1.5-2x? Or is it literally like 10x, as I'm feeling right now?
(I'll drop the specific movie I'm talking about tomorrow, but it's something I've become acutely attuned to this month and moreso with the last two films than with any so far.)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:04 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 am
Alright.
(I'll drop the specific movie I'm talking about tomorrow, but it's something I've become acutely attuned to this month and moreso with the last two films than with any so far.)
Um...a million billion percent.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 am

I don't know if anyone here follows the Corridor Crew channel on YouTube, but their videos have helped increase my appreciation of CGI effects work quite a bit. It's a couple of effects guys looking at different effects scenes in movies and picking apart what works and what doesn't.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 am
Alright.
Depends on the CG. There have been times where I've been thrilled by good CG. Gollum in LotR, Godzilla in Godzilla (2014), the destruction of Los Angeles in 2012. And I'm sure there's been a truckload of good CGI I haven't noticed, which is a testament to how good it is (the sometimes-subtle CG touches of Zodiac).

Certainly there's a lot of CG that feels less tactile and can leave the actors more at sea. A good example is the remake/sequel of The Thing, which doesn't even have bad visual effects, they just never carry the conviction of Bottin's original work. Well, also the final monster was super-lame.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:45 am

Re-Animator (1985) - 9/10

I've heard people praise this film in the past on this site, and although I was a bit worried that it wouldn't live up to its reputation, I was fortunately not disappointed with it at all. It takes great skill to create so much fun around such a gory and disturbing premise without undercutting the more serious bits to it and this film pulls that off exceptionally. So many advancements of the plot managed to keep me interested throughout the film, and by the end of it, I was surprised that only 1 hr and 45 mins went by as it felt much longer (I mean this in a good way due to how involved I was with the plot). In addition, Jeffrey Combs was fantastic. Despite such a meek physical appearance, his many layers of manipulation and insecurity shine through his outer shell and get under your skin real well. Due to how he's much more dangerous than he looks,
killing Dr. Hill in such a gruesome manner
feels all the more disturbing. He's definitely one of the creepiest characters I've seen in a horror movie in a while. In addition, other aspects to it such as the infamous nude scene in the final act and a few of the character's fates in the film are really shocking. Overall, I was really impressed with this one, and I'm glad I got around to it this month.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 am

Hey, Rock. You ever see Marina Pierro in Borowczyk's Love Rites?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 am

On CGI, it's been my long-standing belief that it works best, really only works well at all, when it's used in concert with practical effects. The absolute worst CGI, in my experience, are those effects that are wholly digital creations.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 am
I don't know if anyone here follows the Corridor Crew channel on YouTube, but their videos have helped increase my appreciation of CGI effects work quite a bit. It's a couple of effects guys looking at different effects scenes in movies and picking apart what works and what doesn't.
I have watched it and I like it but it actually made me think, many, many times while they were doing it, "Why didn't they just do that with practical effects? It would have looked so much better."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 am
Depends on the CG. There have been times where I've been thrilled by good CG. Gollum in LotR, Godzilla in Godzilla (2014), the destruction of Los Angeles in 2012. And I'm sure there's been a truckload of good CGI I haven't noticed, which is a testament to how good it is (the sometimes-subtle CG touches of Zodiac).

Certainly there's a lot of CG that feels less tactile and can leave the actors more at sea. A good example is the remake/sequel of The Thing, which doesn't even have bad visual effects, they just never carry the conviction of Bottin's original work. Well, also the final monster was super-lame.
I think I probably should have said, "... in Horror."
Although I think CGI is used far too many times in all films when it isn't necessary.
My biggest complaint about it these days is all the green-screening rather than sets. It doesn't look like a set. It looks like green-screening. It's painful. They use green-screen sets for things that do NOT require them. Just build a goddamn set.
Now, I agree there are times when CG is used beautifully and I often point to the camera-movement in Birdman and the climactic moment in Black Swan. So maybe it works really well in movies about birds. Although I am also grateful for the ability to watch a credible Hulk. (See what I did there?)
But in horror, practical effects are, as crumbs says, "a million billion percent".
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 am
On CGI, it's been my long-standing belief that it works best, really only works well at all, when it's used in concert with practical effects. The absolute worst CGI, in my experience, are those effects that are wholly digital creations.
Agreed. The Video Game Effect.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Bad practical effects, I think, are way better than bad CGI, because bad CGI used alone has that thing where none of it seems real, specifically the movements, while bad practical effects at least still follow the laws of physics.

Syfy movies are especially guilty of those lonely CGI monsters that are just completely separate from the rest of the movie.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Watching some film commentaries has made me realize how much CGI is used that I don't notice. I remember one director talking about how they'd slightly altered something about a character's eyes in one scene. It was something I hadn't even picked up on, but I could see how it added just a subtle element of creep factor.

I definitely don't like when it's clear that a sequence is beholden to the CGI. This is more true in action than horror for me. I think that the best CGI is the stuff I probably don't even think about because it fits so naturally into the scene.

Clunky or low quality CGI certainly can pull you out of the moment. Bad practical effects at least have a certain degree of charm to them, but bad CGI just feels soulless.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 pm
I think I probably should have said, "... in Horror."
Although I think CGI is used far too many times in all films when it isn't necessary.
My biggest complaint about it these days is all the green-screening rather than sets. It doesn't look like a set. It looks like green-screening. It's painful. They use green-screen sets for things that do NOT require them. Just build a goddamn set.
Now, I agree there are times when CG is used beautifully and I often point to the camera-movement in Birdman and the climactic moment in Black Swan. So maybe it works really well in movies about birds. Although I am also grateful for the ability to watch a credible Hulk. (See what I did there?)
But in horror, practical effects are, as crumbs says, "a million billion percent".
Funnily, I just saw this video the other day and learned that Avengers: Infinity War threw blue-screen onto exterior building walls, and I never would've thought they would need to, but the truth is that the CG replacement was immaculate.

If we're all collectively talking about CG character creation, I'd agree that something can often be lost in translation and make a scene eyeroll-worthy and create a sense of dislocation. (Like Tak says, an artisanal element is also harder to spot with CG - nobody can look at a CG effect and say "That's a Bottin effect" or "That's Harryhausen at work"). But I think that's more to do with bad CGI production operating under rushed schedules.

I dunno, I just think that when this whole PFX vs. CGI comes up, what we're really talking about is a pretty narrow band of both.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Like as an example, I thought that there were some shots in Black Panther that were painfully bad. I feel the same way aobut the overly-slick looking CGI demons that pop up in a lot of horror movies. Like, I will take the puma puppet from Vampire Circus any day over bad CGI monsters.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 am
Hey, Rock. You ever see Marina Pierro in Borowczyk's Love Rites?
I have not. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of a copy.

I've only seen her in the Udo Jekyll/Hyde movie, The Living Dead Girl and Behind Convent Walls and liked her a lot in all three (although the nun movie wasn't that good otherwise).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Practical effects are much better in my opinion. I'm fine with good/great CGI, but what puts practical effects far above it is the fact that they usually age much better. Even bad practical effects are at least somewhat respectable while bad CGI can be quite repulsive to look at.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:19 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 pm
Funnily, I just saw this video the other day and learned that Avengers: Infinity War threw blue-screen onto exterior building walls, and I never would've thought they would need to, but the truth is that the CG replacement was immaculate.

If we're all collectively talking about CG character creation, I'd agree that something can often be lost in translation and make a scene eyeroll-worthy and create a sense of dislocation. (Like Tak says, an artisanal element is also harder to spot with CG - nobody can look at a CG effect and say "That's a Bottin effect" or "That's Harryhausen at work"). But I think that's more to do with bad CGI production operating under rushed schedules.

I dunno, I just think that when this whole PFX vs. CGI comes up, what we're really talking about is a pretty narrow band of both.
I think, largely, Marvel has done a pretty good job with it, but there are scenes, interiors and such, where everything but the actors is green-screened when it's really not necessary and you can see it and it's unfortunate.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 pm
Like as an example, I thought that there were some shots in Black Panther that were painfully bad. I feel the same way aobut the overly-slick looking CGI demons that pop up in a lot of horror movies. Like, I will take the puma puppet from Vampire Circus any day over bad CGI monsters.
Amen.
And that shit's 45 years old.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Also, The Thing is almost 40 years old, but the effects in it look like they could've been made today. They strangely look better than the CGI in the 2011 prequel.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Great practical effects used with Great CGI>Great Practical Effects>Great CGI>Poor Practical Effects>>>>>Poor CGI
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:58 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:15 pm
Great practical effects used with Great CGI>Great Practical Effects>Great CGI>Poor Practical Effects>>>>>Poor CGI
I can get behind this as long as poor practical is still miles ahead of average CGI.

It's rare for me to really love great pure cgi effects though. The planet of the apes sequel is probably one of the rare examples where I was won over by them to a strong degree.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:58 pm
I can get behind this as long as poor practical is still miles ahead of average CGI.

It's rare for me to really love great pure cgi effects though. The planet of the apes sequel is probably one of the rare examples where I was won over by them to a strong degree.
I felt like "average" or "good" were too nebulous so I skipped them. I'd imagine a case by case basis would have to be made for the middling and if they're middling, probably not worth the effort.

So, sure. Let's just agree!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm

So, sure. Let's just agree!
Ugh

Boooooring
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 pm

Someone once told me "practical effects look fake, but feel real, while CGI looks real but feel fake". I agree with the sentiment, but I also think a lot of CGI looks as fake as it feels.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:30 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:49 pm
Ugh

Boooooring
I don't think I'll ever forgive you for this agreement.

Here are some opportunities for an argument:

Psycho IV- The prequel stuff with Olivia Hussey as Norman's mother is fairly solid. The wrap around with Anthony Perkins, even with my love for CCH Pounder (to the point that I wrote a roll for her in my script), is pretty tedious and trite.

Night of the Demons- Tons of campy, gory 80's fun. Makes me want to put on a triple feature of this, Demons and Demon Knight.

13 Cameras- a fairly empty thriller made watchable due to its villain's performance and almost nothing else.

Vampire Circus- Upper middle of the Hammer pack and one of the best non-Dracula vampire flicks in their catalogue. I'd put this below Twins of Evil and above the Vampire Lovers. About on par with Brides of Dracula.