Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: โ†‘
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:30 pm
I don't think I'll ever forgive you for this agreement.

Here are some opportunities for an argument:

Psycho IV- The prequel stuff with Olivia Hussey as Norman's mother is fairly solid. The wrap around with Anthony Perkins, even with my love for CCH Pounder (to the point that I wrote a roll for her in my script), is pretty tedious and trite.

Night of the Demons- Tons of campy, gory 80's fun. Makes me want to put on a triple feature of this, Demons and Demon Knight.

13 Cameras- a fairly empty thriller made watchable due to its villain's performance and almost nothing else.

Vampire Circus- Upper middle of the Hammer pack and one of the best non-Dracula vampire flicks in their catalogue. I'd put this below Twins of Evil and above the Vampire Lovers. About on par with Brides of Dracula.
I don't necessarily think it is that good, but I kinda love Night of the Demons. It does off centre, almost creepy, total nonsense better than most.

Agreement. (Sigh)

I don't like Vampire Circus much at all. Watched a couple of times and, err, um, mmeeeh.

And, yes, in creating controversy with you on this I now need to look over my shoulder for Takoma coming for me.

I'm just a trouble maker at heart I guess ๐ŸŒฎ
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 pm

crumbsroom wrote: โ†‘
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:37 pm
I don't like Vampire Circus much at all. Watched a couple of times and, err, um, mmeeeh.
What a way to end a friendship!

But in all seriousness, I'll just reiterate that it's one of the only vampire films where I find the seduction element deeply believable and where I felt like there was a respect behind the characterization of the young women being seduced. And the way that the different circus elements are used to trap and destroy the villagers and their children is really creative.

For example, I love
the twins pulling the boy through the mirror.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 am

Takoma1 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 pm
What a way to end a friendship!

But in all seriousness, I'll just reiterate that it's one of the only vampire films where I find the seduction element deeply believable and where I felt like there was a respect behind the characterization of the young women being seduced. And the way that the different circus elements are used to trap and destroy the villagers and their children is really creative.

For example, I love
the twins pulling the boy through the mirror.
The horrifying reality for me is that it usually takes me a bunch of watches to get into any Hammer films, even those at the top of the heap. Random ones like Plague of the Zombies managed to appeal to me on a first viewing, but for some reason undeniably great ones like Horror of Dracula took me a couple of watches to really appreciate. And I now love.

I don't know what causes my hesitation of appreciation. It's a mystery.

I'm rewatching Vampire Circus right now as we speak, to see the outcome. But considering the amount of whiskey I've just drank, I may not see the end of it before I just start playing ABBA records.

It's alright so far.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 am

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 am
It's alright so far.
I mean, the sexy tiger dance gives it an automatic baseline of 7/10.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:04 am

My only real bones of contention are that I didn't find the primary vampires particularly enigmatic or threatening, but this seems to be par for course for all the Hammer films that don't have Christopher Lee. Twins of Evil has Peter Cushing in a Witchfinder General-esque role and he crushes Price's performance. Add to it that the film builds to an appropriately and shocking brutal climax and it's easily my favorite non-Lee vampire film.

I felt like Vampire Circus worked really well in spurts but doesn't have a singular guiding presence, villainous or heroic, to give it the direction to make it a top tier flick.

I also think having either Fisher or Francis directing could have made it a favorite as virtually all of the ones I love are made by one or the other.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 am

I just watched the 1981 sci-fi medical thriller Looker, which was pretty ahead of its time in what it wanted to say about beauty standards, commercials, and technology. The movie itself was a little flat though. It made me miss Michael Crichton all the more.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:52 am

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 am
I may not see the end of it before I just start playing ABBA records.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:06 am

I'll echo the general sentiments that the Happy Death Day films are fun fluff and add that they're especially nice when you feel terrible and are fighting a sinus infection while not being able to pay TOO much attention to the movie. Not the highest praise but these films definitely have their place and I'm glad they exist.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:07 am

Deschain13 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 am
I just watched the 1981 sci-fi medical thriller Looker, which was pretty ahead of its time in what it wanted to say about beauty standards, commercials, and technology. The movie itself was a little flat though. It made me miss Michael Crichton all the more.
The success of the recent Westworld has opened up a lot of intriguing possibilities for reviving a number of Crichton properties, removing the anachronisms from their predicted future technology and expanding on their themes using the (in many many ways) far more pervasively frightening capabilities of the ensuing actual technology developed in the intervening 30-40 years. Looker is a prime candidate because the ideas it presents are still socially palpable today even if the state-of-the-art tech is now seen as laughable. Others I would like to see re-modded into a more modern futurism would be Terminal Man and Runaway.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:17 am

Rock wrote: โ†‘
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 pm
I have not. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of a copy.

I've only seen her in the Udo Jekyll/Hyde movie, The Living Dead Girl and Behind Convent Walls and liked her a lot in all three (although the nun movie wasn't that good otherwise).
Love Ritual isn't quite "horror", although it sometimes gets into a type of masochism that would appeal to Cronenberg or Zulawski, and regarding the latter (and avoiding a total spoiler) the film does approach a kind of semi-Possession vibe in its climax. Mostly the film pongs between being genuinely erotic, insufferably pretentious, and seeming to parody both eroticism and pretentious psychosexual Euro-art film tropes. As with other Borowczyk films, the eroticism always comes with a certain price.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:59 pm

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:37 pm
I don't necessarily think it is that good, but I kinda love Night of the Demons. It does off centre, almost creepy, total nonsense better than most.

Agreement. (Sigh)

And, yes, in creating controversy with you on this I now need to look over my shoulder for Takoma coming for me.

I'm just a trouble maker at heart I guess ๐ŸŒฎ
Yeah, you and I are done.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote: โ†‘
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm
Also, The Thing is almost 40 years old, but the effects in it look like they could've been made today. They strangely look better than the CGI in the 2011 prequel.
No doubt.
The Thing is always my example of "Well, if you can do it that way, why would you ever do it the other way?"
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 am
Fact.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:04 am
My only real bones of contention are that I didn't find the primary vampires particularly enigmatic or threatening, but this seems to be par for course for all the Hammer films that don't have Christopher Lee. Twins of Evil has Peter Cushing in a Witchfinder General-esque role and he crushes Price's performance. Add to it that the film builds to an appropriately and shocking brutal climax and it's easily my favorite non-Lee vampire film.

I felt like Vampire Circus worked really well in spurts but doesn't have a singular guiding presence, villainous or heroic, to give it the direction to make it a top tier flick.

I also think having either Fisher or Francis directing could have made it a favorite as virtually all of the ones I love are made by one or the other.
That surprises me.
It's the vampires themselves that I think make the movie really interesting. Emile, as I said somewhere around here, maybe over in my thread, is one of my favorite screen vampires ever, and The Twins, Helga (Lala Ward) and Heinrich, they just all seem so genuinely evil. They don't just suck peoples' blood and shit because they have to, they enjoy their work, they enjoy not just killing people but frightening people, they enjoy the suffering of their victims and the suffering they leave behind.
Plus, all the shapeshifting makes them so interesting. Emile's panther, the twins' bats, the lady that turns into a tiger.
And that they travel in a circus. That's their gig for having entrance into towns to do their evil work but the fact that they actually put on a pretty dazzling show, largely because they are breaking the rules by using the supernatural right in front of people who assume it's all some kind of trick.
It's just a really cool take on vampires.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Deschain13 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 am
It is a little flat. Even the great Albert Finney can't quite keep it afloat.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Wooley wrote: โ†‘
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:18 pm
That surprises me.
It's the vampires themselves that I think make the movie really interesting. Emile, as I said somewhere around here, maybe over in my thread, is one of my favorite screen vampires ever, and The Twins, Helga (Lala Ward) and Heinrich, they just all seem so genuinely evil. They don't just suck peoples' blood and shit because they have to, they enjoy their work, they enjoy not just killing people but frightening people, they enjoy the suffering of their victims and the suffering they leave behind.
Plus, all the shapeshifting makes them so interesting. Emile's panther, the twins' bats, the lady that turns into a tiger.
And that they travel in a circus. That's their gig for having entrance into towns to do their evil work but the fact that they actually put on a pretty dazzling show, largely because they are breaking the rules by using the supernatural right in front of people who assume it's all some kind of trick.
It's just a really cool take on vampires.
Conceptually, itโ€™s dope. I just donโ€™t find any of the performances to have the necessary gravitas and weight for me to buy it. I know itโ€™s unfair to ask for someone with the gravitas of Lee or Cushing but the other Hammer films HAVE LEE AND CUSHING. Itโ€™s a standard they set and when itโ€™s not met, I canโ€™t help but feel mildly disappointed.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Continuing my Halloween viewing:

Deep Red (1975) Weirdly enough I enjoy this one way more for its offbeat character stuff than I enjoy the central murder mystery.

Ugetsu (1953) Hauntingly beautiful. Needed some time to get into it but it's ultimately really great.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) I admire this movie more than I actually enjoy it or was scared by it. Like, the entire time I was gasping about how incredible made it is, but it leaves me kind of cold. I think I prefer Spider-Baby when it comes to homicidal, cannibal families.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) Beautiful, lush colours, a sad but beautiful story, and Vincent Price hamming it up as the biggest jerk who ever lived, this perfectly hits my horror sweet spot.

The Exorcist (1973) Perhaps not as scary as it once was, but a remarkably mature horror movie about grief and sadness. I prefer the more emotion, desperate aspect of the first half over the actual exorcism.

Carnival of Souls (1962) One of those movies that really captures the eerie absurdness of depression. Obvious influence on people like Lynch. Great movie made on a chew string budget.
Rump

Post by Rump » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 am

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 am
:up: Cool.. i collect groovy dances from films and now watching it on youtube it is rather racey with it's manic tribal rythms :P
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 am

Slentert wrote: โ†‘
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Deep Red (1975) Weirdly enough I enjoy this one way more for its offbeat character stuff than I enjoy the central murder mystery.

Ugetsu (1953) Hauntingly beautiful. Needed some time to get into it but it's ultimately really great.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) I admire this movie more than I actually enjoy it or was scared by it. Like, the entire time I was gasping about how incredible made it is, but it leaves me kind of cold. I think I prefer Spider-Baby when it comes to homicidal, cannibal families.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) Beautiful, lush colours, a sad but beautiful story, and Vincent Price hamming it up as the biggest jerk who ever lived, this perfectly hits my horror sweet spot.

The Exorcist (1973) Perhaps not as scary as it once was, but a remarkably mature horror movie about grief and sadness. I prefer the more emotion, desperate aspect of the first half over the actual exorcism.

Carnival of Souls (1962) One of those movies that really captures the eerie absurdness of depression. Obvious influence on people like Lynch. Great movie made on a chew string budget.
Dang dude, was this your first time with all of these? That's quite a productive week!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 am

Rump wrote: โ†‘
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 am
:up: Cool.. i collect groovy dances from films and now watching it on youtube it is rather racey with it's manic tribal rythms :P
Have you seen the whole film? I'm a big fan.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 am

I know ya'll's interest has been zero, but Dragula has continued to be pretty great this season. The hospital of horrors was pretty neat.

Today I rewatched Burn, Witch, Burn. I think it's pretty solid overall, with a particularly strong final sequence. I continue to not like the fact that Tansy gets kind of sidelined at the end of the film. Norman, her husband, is kind of a drip (and his pants are so high-waisted!!). I'd kind of forgotten just how awesome some of the (practical!!!!) special effects are in the last 15 minutes.

I think that the film's gender dynamics (specifically in how it explores the idea of hysteria as it relates to superstition and witchcraft) are interesting. I think that the film kind of wants to have its cake and eat it too. On the one hand, Tansy is shown to often be right in her beliefs. But on the other hand, the motivations that it gives its female characters are kind of one-dimensional.

But where the film is at times shaky with its substance, it more than makes up for it with style.

I'm also kind of partial to some of the film's unexplained elements, like
how Norman somehow is able to use a black magic spell to bring Tansy back from the ocean/back from the dead
?

I also watched Aenigma, which started strong and finished kind of meh. The plot of the film is that a mean group of girls at a college (and their gym teacher?!) play a horrible prank on a classmate which ends with the classmate being hit by a car. The girl goes into a coma and when a new girl, Eve, arrives at the college she is immediately possessed by the spirit of the comatose girl.

The film starts out pretty strong. The prank is horribly cruel (the gym teacher asks the girl out on a date, starts to have sex with her, but the whole thing is somehow microphoned so everyone can hear and then they chase her in their cars while she runs in panic and shame), and so you're more than ready to see these people bite it.

I particularly liked the killing of the smarmy gym teacher (who wastes no time arranging a sex date with the new student), who is murdered by a smirking duplicate of himself that emerges from the gym mirror. Another awesome bit of imagery comes when a girl is tormented in an art museum--as she stares up at the ceiling little pinpricks of blood begin to seep through the paintings and splash down on her face.

Each time a murder happens, a befuddled group of nurses and doctors stare in wonder as the comatose girl's brain waves suddenly kick into gear. One of the doctors begins to suspect a connection between the comatose girl and the new student. (Note that the doctor is also completely unopposed to getting into sexual relationships with the teen girls, even one who seems to be mentally ill. Cool!).

The film's ending is also quite abrupt, albeit a bit moving.

I find myself feeling like this is a mid-tier horror. There are some memorable moments to be sure, but as a whole it didn't wow me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:07 am

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Yeah, I thought that movie was a real pleasure.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 am

Well, I liked The Nun. Too many jump scares and a loose plot but it's Gothic horror done in the style of Bava and Hammer and that appealed to me greatly. Based on aesthetics, atmosphere and acting, it's among the strongest of the Conjuring universe. I think I just have terrible taste at this point. I'm cool with it but I need to face that I've gone off the deep end.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 am

We had a Vincent Price movie night at my house last weekend, we went with a couple of Poe adaptations.

The Raven - OK more like "adaptation" for this one, it takes the poetic, lyrical haunting Poe poem and turns it into a wacky comedy. The film itself is OK, fitfully funny with entertaining performances by some icons of cinema, but I hate how they tie it into the Raven and so I have a hard time overlooking that. It is a fine stand alone film but it treading on such great work lowers it in my eyes.

Masque of the Read Death - The should have the subtitle "with assistance from Hop Frog", now this was excellent, the Poe original doesn't give a lot to work with but it paints a very clear outcome and this works towards that wonderfully. Adding in the Hop Frog story pads the run time but also plays into it's jab at the opulent aristocracy. Price hams it up to the perfect degree and the ending even adds a wonderfully morbid yet fun look at indifference of death.

Then tonight I watched a couple of films with some friends that were both just OK in the middle but really failed to stick the landing.

I Trapped the Devil - I think this could have been really good as a 30 minute short, it's certainly got a nice sense of dread going for it but even at 80 minutes it felt like it dragged on an on. When it finally looks like it's wrapping up at a fairly mysterious yet satisfying point it keeps going with an ending that is confusing both in character actions and at times even seeing what is going on so you can process the actions taken, also it features maybe on of the dumbest cops I've ever seen in a movie.

Pet Sematary (2019) - To start I haven't read the story or seen the original movie though through videos I've seen and discussions I've had I'm at least passingly familiar with the story. As a horror draped tale about loss and grief the beginning and middle are fine, acting is OK, visuals are a bit heavy handed in foreshadowing events but it does the job of establishing the family and characters. I know the ending deviates from the book/1989 movie and as far as I can tell it does so merely for shock factor, like look at what we did aren't you surprised because it's not what happened last time. It doesn't play into the rest of the movies themes at all, so it doesn't feel shocking it feels forced, and it left me indifferent and bored by what was going on.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 am

All this Masque appreciation, you love to see it.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am

Captain Terror wrote: โ†‘
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 am
Dang dude, was this your first time with all of these? That's quite a productive week!
Yup, all first time watches.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:58 am

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 am
Well, I liked The Nun. Too many jump scares and a loose plot but it's Gothic horror done in the style of Bava and Hammer and that appealed to me greatly. Based on aesthetics, atmosphere and acting, it's among the strongest of the Conjuring universe. I think I just have terrible taste at this point. I'm cool with it but I need to face that I've gone off the deep end.
For the sake of discussion, not just to be an ass, here was my review of The Nun from last year in the theater:

"I don't even know how much time I really wanna waste talking about this movie. It is poor. No question about it, it is a poor movie. And it is a poor movie for two reasons:
1. The script is fucking awful. Just awful. All three of us agreed that if there was a script at all before shooting we'd eat our hats. Maybe there was a story. But there is no way this dialogue was written before shooting began. And really nothing is said or done that isn't there just to drag the story along. The story itself is fine if really basic. Like, if I told you the backstory to the nun was gonna be written and let's just say I gave you the hint that it takes place at the convent... wait, no one even needs THAT hint. It's all just so obvious. Backstory to nun. There's an evil nun. At a convent. Everyone is scared. Intrepid souls attempt to defeat the evil and ultimately succeed... ish (which we know since the nun already appears in a later film). I swear that is really the whole story.
To beat the dead horse of the script a little more, there are major ideas that are introduced but barely explained, there are incredible deus ex machinae, there are hilarious "this guy's never seen a horror movie" character-actions, and then there's just plain hogwash.
2. The direction of the film is just one long series of jump-scare set-ups and executions. Every jump-scare in the book (except for a cat) is used here. The character turns around and "boo!" Nun in the face! The character closes a door and "boo!" The character interacts with a mirror and "boo!" The character just fucking stands there while the camera revolves around and when it comes full circle... "boo!" You could argue that the whole movie is just dressing stretched between jump-scares. And they're executed so similarly that they start to feel telegraphed. At least three times late in the film I noted the mirror as someone walked in and waited for the boo! or caught the camera encircling the character and waited for the boo!
Now here's the thing: I LIKE jump-scares. I do. I think it's very fashionable to criticize their use but they have a purpose and an effect and can be very effective in ratcheting up fear and tension during a movie. When used well. Sparingly. In the right moments. Not when they are the whole movie. And especially not when you know exactly when they're coming.
Ok, positives... the acting is mostly good, considering how poor the script is. There are a lot of moments where people say the most eye-rolly things, but these people are professionals and they're getting paid, and Teissa Farmiga is trying to use this film to build a career, so they're all in on trying to make this awful script tolerable and maybe even fake you out that it's not as bad as it sounds. Yes, Teissa Farmiga, Vera's lil' sis, is here for reasons that are probably obvious the moment you learn that fact, but if not, will be within the first minute or two you see her.
She does a pretty good job, really, her character is what holds the movie up, other than the nun jumping out of damn near everywhere and going "boo!".
Also, the movie is pretty good looking. It retains a lot of the aesthetic from other films in the Wan-verse, while washing out all the colors, which may sound paradoxical, but you'll see what I mean. If you watch this. And there are some decent tricks, one with a shadow jumps to mind (maybe I owe the director some credit for that), couple of other scary moments, the CGI's not bad...
Anyway, I seriously can't believe I spent that much time writing about this."
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 pm

You'll probably see Killer Klowns from Outer Space in your search results if you're a Hulu or Prime Video member, and if you do, don't let the cheesy title and thumbnail dissuade you: it's good campy fun. Like the similarly campy Night of the Creeps, it fetishizes the '50s just like this decade fetishized the '80s - lover's lanes, burger joints and carnivals abound - and it has scenes that will make you roll your eyes at how over the top they are as well as ones that will fuel your nightmares. I especially liked the hapless ice cream-vending Terenzi brothers, Christopher Titus (yep, that Christopher Titus) as class clown-type Bob and John Vernon's scene-stealing curmudgeonly cop. All the same, this movie's best quality is how good it looks. From the Forbidden Planet-inspired interior of the clowns' spaceship to the cotton candy cocoons that encase their unfortunate victims, the production design is as alien as it is beautiful and it contrasts appropriately with the movie's mundane suburban setting. Unfortunately, its quality artistry works against the clowns themselves. I'm not sure if it's because I've been spoiled by It's Pennywise or if I just don't think clowns are that scary, but I found myself admiring the appearance of the klowns more than feeling terrified by them. While the things they do to the townsfolk are frightening, my indifference to their look downplayed the impact a bit. Nonetheless, it's still a worthy addition to any horror movie playlist, especially if it's one for a Halloween party.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 pm

daakmore wrote: โ†‘
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 am
The Raven - OK more like "adaptation" for this one, it takes the poetic, lyrical haunting Poe poem and turns it into a wacky comedy. The film itself is OK, fitfully funny with entertaining performances by some icons of cinema, but I hate how they tie it into the Raven and so I have a hard time overlooking that. It is a fine stand alone film but it treading on such great work lowers it in my eyes.
I don't know how easy it is to find, but I recommend Comedy of Terrors. It's another Corman comedy with the same cast (Lorre/Price/Karloff) and adds Basil Rathbone. As a comedy I think it's hilarious and much funnier than The Raven. And it's an original story, so you don't have to worry about Poe's good name being sullied.

Although I gotta say, even as a giant Poe fan, a bird asking for booze in Peter Lorre's voice is one of my favorite things ever.

EDIT: Of course it's entirely possible that you didn't want a comedy in the first place, in which case you can disregard this suggestion. But it is a good one and I just remembered that it's directed by Jacques "Cat People" Tourneur, so there's that as well.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am
Yup, all first time watches.
Nice, those are some of my all-time favorites. You're crushing this October thing.
Masque was a theatrical screening? Just want to know how jealous I should feel.

I got to see House on Haunted Hill at a local theater this weekend which was loads of fun, but had me wishing that we'd get some of the Poe films instead. Those are just so good-looking, I'd love to see them on a big screen.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Was mega-lucky to learn of an AFI screening of The Pit and the Pendulum two years ago, with Roger Corman in attendance. The flick was more fun than I remembered (seeing it on a big screen in a proper theater with an engaged audience helped, obviously), and it was fantastic to hear Corman speak. He's obviously a bit slower with age, but sharp as hell and still is eager to explain how he saved a buck here or got an idea there.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 pm

DaMU wrote: โ†‘
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm
Was mega-lucky to learn of an AFI screening of The Pit and the Pendulum two years ago, with Roger Corman in attendance. The flick was more fun than I remembered (seeing it on a big screen in a proper theater with an engaged audience helped, obviously), and it was fantastic to hear Corman speak. He's obviously a bit slower with age, but sharp as hell and still is eager to explain how he saved a buck here or got an idea there.
NICE. Pit would probably be my first choice.

Meanwhile, I'm taking my mom and my aunt to see The Tingler next week. Should be a blast.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm
Nice, those are some of my all-time favorites. You're crushing this October thing.

I got to see House on Haunted Hill at a local theater this weekend which was loads of fun, but had me wishing that we'd get some of the Poe films instead. Those are just so good-looking, I'd love to see them on a big screen.
The nice thing about being a noob is that you still have a lot of great movies left to watch.
And no, Masque wasn't a theatrical screening, though I'd love to see it on the big screen one day.
I am seeing Ken Russel's The Devils on the big screen later this week though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Torgo wrote: โ†‘
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 pm
You'll probably see Killer Klowns from Outer Space in your search results if you're a Hulu or Prime Video member, and if you do, don't let the cheesy title and thumbnail dissuade you: it's good campy fun. Like the similarly campy Night of the Creeps, it fetishizes the '50s just like this decade fetishized the '80s - lover's lanes, burger joints and carnivals abound - and it has scenes that will make you roll your eyes at how over the top they are as well as ones that will fuel your nightmares. I especially liked the hapless ice cream-vending Terenzi brothers, Christopher Titus (yep, that Christopher Titus) as class clown-type Bob and John Vernon's scene-stealing curmudgeonly cop. All the same, this movie's best quality is how good it looks. From the Forbidden Planet-inspired interior of the clowns' spaceship to the cotton candy cocoons that encase their unfortunate victims, the production design is as alien as it is beautiful and it contrasts appropriately with the movie's mundane suburban setting. Unfortunately, its quality artistry works against the clowns themselves. I'm not sure if it's because I've been spoiled by It's Pennywise or if I just don't think clowns are that scary, but I found myself admiring the appearance of the klowns more than feeling terrified by them. While the things they do to the townsfolk are frightening, my indifference to their look downplayed the impact a bit. Nonetheless, it's still a worthy addition to any horror movie playlist, especially if it's one for a Halloween party.
Yup.
Shameless plug, see my write-up of it in this year's Horrorthon, if you haven't already.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

I saw it in your log... 'cause I looked at your log :shifty: ... and I wondered if it was a first-time. That's a life-long favorite of mine, going back to childhood.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:52 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 pm
NICE. Pit would probably be my first choice.

Meanwhile, I'm taking my mom and my aunt to see The Tingler next week. Should be a blast.
I saw that was at The Prytania and wondered if they would try to do the thing with the seats. At least a few of them.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:52 am

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:51 pm
I saw it in your log... 'cause I looked at your log :shifty: ... and I wondered if it was a first-time. That's a life-long favorite of mine, going back to childhood.
I'd certainly seen it, but it wasn't until the film started that I realized how long it's been since I actually sat down and watched the whole thing. Like maybe 20 years or more. I just kind of take this one for granted for some reason. But yeah, lots of fun. Say what you will about Castle, but he delivered the goods. Skeletons, ghosts, heads, plot twists, jump scares, theremin noises, thunderstorms....If you were a teenager in 1959 you left the theater satisfied.
Bonus: There was an adorable old lady in the theater that was decked out in full Halloween gear. Purple skirt with ghosts and bats all over it, a purple boa of some sort, and a tiny witch hat covered in sparkly spider webs. Awesome.
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:52 pm
I saw that was at The Prytania and wondered if they would try to do the thing with the seats. At least a few of them.
"The thing with the seats?" You mean PERCEPTO!!
One of my time-travel fantasies is to see this in a theater full of teenagers back when it was released. The "scream for your life" scene must have been a riot. This is one of my mom's favorite movies so this is going to be fun.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:45 am

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 am
I think it could stand to lose a lot of its jump scares and show a lot less of the Nun, but I did like the performances and the attempts at Bava/Hammer atmosphere. I'm generally a fan of the Wanverse. The movies have good acting and production values and their sensibilities toward old-school spookery make even the weaker ones pretty painless.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:20 am

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:45 am
I think it could stand to lose a lot of its jump scares and show a lot less of the Nun, but I did like the performances and the attempts at Bava/Hammer atmosphere. I'm generally a fan of the Wanverse. The movies have good acting and production values and their sensibilities toward old-school spookery make even the weaker ones pretty painless.
Agreed. I'm a fan of the franchise and felt this one was clearly superior to the first Annabelle. It wasn't as well crafted as Conjuring 2 but it felt less tonally dissonant. I think the first is still my favorite by a good margin followed by Annabelle Creation. Haven't seen Annabelle Comes Home or the Curse of La Llarona yet. Any good?
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 am

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:20 am
Agreed. I'm a fan of the franchise and felt this one was clearly superior to the first Annabelle. It wasn't as well crafted as Conjuring 2 but it felt less tonally dissonant. I think the first is still my favorite by a good margin followed by Annabelle Creation. Haven't seen Annabelle Comes Home or the Curse of La Llarona yet. Any good?
Ain't seen those yet but will probably watch them as soon as they hit Canadian Netflix.

I think I'd take the Conjuring movies over the rest. The first is the best made out of all the ones I've seen, and the second I think gains a good amount of personality from its relative dissonance while retaining the same strong craft. (It feels like Wan riffing on a whole lot of things that he liked from other movies or wanted to do but couldn't think of putting an entire movie around by itself. And it's got the Elvis scene!)

Annabelle: Creation is pretty good, although I knock it a point not for any real weaknesses of its own, but because for the longest time I'd confused it for Ouija: Origin of Evil, which I remember thinking is a slightly better movie (not that I can tell them apart).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:52 am

I am pleased at where this discussion has gone because I was planning on knocking out both Annabelle: Creation and Ouija: Origin Of Evil this Halloween, but I kinda let it flow organically and those movies didn't come into play. Now I have, what, 10 days left, 9 if I party Halloween night, and I'm wondering if I should keep them in the queue or just bump them for next year in favor of my more traditional, late run fare.
Off the top of my head, I'd like to get through significant number of the following:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Halloween
Trick 'R' Treat
Phantasm
The Addams Family/Little Shop Of Horrors
(double-feature)
Midsommar
The Ritual
The Boneyard
Stagefright (Soave)
Black Sunday
The Phantom Of The Opera '25
Re-Animator
Return Of The Living Dead
The Ghost Of Frankenstein
City Of The Living Dead

In ten days.
Are Annabelle: Creation and Ouija: Origin Of Evil worth adding to this queue and giving them a chance at a slot?
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:58 am

They're both like 7/10 movies. If you still want to make room for new viewings (I'm guessing most of the above are rewatches?) they're decent enough choices but if you're feeling really picky based on how much time you have left, you wouldn't miss too much if you put them off for later.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:05 am

Annabelle Creation>>>>Ouija Origin of Evil, though I enjoy both.

That said, I wouldn't put either of those higher than the films you listed, though I'd probably watch AC over Adams Family as I favor legit horror over gothic comedy this season.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:06 am

I just watched Await Further Instructions which had some great lighting and effects but suffered from broad over-the-top characters making ridiculous decisons.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:58 am
They're both like 7/10 movies. If you still want to make room for new viewings (I'm guessing most of the above are rewatches?) they're decent enough choices but if you're feeling really picky based on how much time you have left, you wouldn't miss too much if you put them off for later.
The Boneyard, Midsommar, The Ritual, The Phantom Of The Opera would be first-time watches, the rest are re-watches, but pretty darn good ones.
I guess I'll just play it by ear.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:05 am
Annabelle Creation>>>>Ouija Origin of Evil, though I enjoy both.

That said, I wouldn't put either of those higher than the films you listed, though I'd probably watch AC over Adams Family as I favor legit horror over gothic comedy this season.
I hear ya, I'm doing something very balanced this year, or if anything, I've been leaning toward fun over all else, however I define that when it comes to horror.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am
The Phantom Of The Opera would be first-time
Dude...
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 pm
Dude...
I know.
I have this thing that I do where I "save" some classics so that I always have one to first-watch, but it's also, if I'm being honest, worry that it won't live up to my expectations.
And believe me, I'm about to blow your fucking mind with a first-time viewing in about 3 reviews ahead.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 pm

I'll probably get voted off the island for saying this, but I really didn't like The Devil's Rejects. I found it to be a constant stream of unpleasantness from beginning to end. I've enjoyed movies that have the kind of unpleasantness found in this movie, but what those movies do that this one doesn't do is know when to show it as well as how much. Instead of a steady stream, movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes that likely inspired this movie - Michael Berryman is in it, after all - have qualities like nuance, buildup, tension and the insight to know when the camera should be pointing at something gruesome and when it should be pointing at something else because it's an occasion to leave the grisliness of an outcome up to the imagination. I mean, there are reasons why metal concerts break up the fast and heavy stuff with ballads and solos and why pornography isn't just constant sex: constant anything is dull, so much so that it makes people do things like tune out and/or play with their cell phones, which I spent most of the running time doing. Sid Haig and Ken Foree's very good performances helped get me through it, and while I like what Zombie seems to be saying that unreasoning blind faith, whether it's in service to the divine or to evil, is bad for you, the message is undercut by everything else I've complained about. If I can say anything good about it, it's that watching it makes me want to give up alcohol, caffeine and everything else my doctor tells me to enjoy in moderation for a while so I can detoxify myself from the experience.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm
I know.
I have this thing that I do where I "save" some classics so that I always have one to first-watch, but it's also, if I'm being honest, worry that it won't live up to my expectations.
And believe me, I'm about to blow your fucking mind with a first-time viewing in about 3 reviews ahead.
Haha, looking forward to it! I'll alert my loved ones of my impending demise via exploding head.

As for Phantom, I can head you off at the pass and tell you it probably won't live up to its status. As a film I don't consider it to be great. Let's just say there's a reason that this is the only Rupert Julian movie you've ever heard of. I read the novel for the first time a few years ago and found it pulpy and not very good. So it's my assertion that if it wasn't for Lon Chaney, none of us would have ever heard of this story. Granted, it has resonated enough over the years to inspire many adaptations, some of them extremely popular, but I maintain that it only stuck in anyone's consciousness in the first place because of Chaney.

Which brings us to...Lon Mothereffing Chaney. I don't have to tell you that this movie is essential for monster kids, but Chaney's quite a thing to behold here. Not just the makeup, but the intensity behind it. This is one of those silent films that I feel needs to be silent, because there's no voice that could do justice to that face.

So, do I sit down and watch this all the time? No. Lately I'm content to just pop the Blu in and scan to my favorite parts. My advice is to expect some boring parts and some head-scratching parts, and just hang around for Chaney doing his thing.