Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:09 am
Hmmm... because I am an open-minded person, and I am, and because you are a poster I respect (who am I kidding, the distillation of RT down to the folks who are left here has made it so that I pretty much respect everyone's opinion around here, but you are reliable even if we don't agree) I am going to take your defense of this movie, which I have considered one of the two worst American theatrical-release horror movies I've ever seen, as meritorious and give it another spin.
It can't be this year, too many things left to finish, but I'll do it.
In fact, if you remind me, I'll lead off next year's Horrorthon with it.
The particular peculiarities and peccadilloes I find myself looking for in movies are hardly translatable to a being a good compass for anyone elses enjoyment of a film, so it hardly surprises me when my fandom for Prom Night isn't echoed very often. I do think not bringing particular expectations to what a slasher film is supposed to do can only help ones appreciation of Prom Night though. It is a goofy, oddball movie that benefits from its wonky pacing I think.

The general coldness towards Horror Express though completely baffles me. There are def a few dumb things in it (the dinosaur thing) but I think it functions as a well above average classic horror film. If not a borderline great one. It does the genre well in mostly pretty traditional ways.

And, yeah, I've said it many times before but posters at RT have always been the high water mark for internet film discussion for me. If most critics took the time to really think about why they supposedly love films as an art form they just might start articulating that passion half as well as those on these boards.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm
The general coldness towards Horror Express though completely baffles me. There are def a few dumb things in it (the dinosaur thing) but I think it functions as a well above average classic horror film. If not a borderline great one. It does the genre well in mostly pretty traditional ways.

And, yeah, I've said it many times before but posters at RT have always been the high water mark for internet film discussion for me. If most critics took the time to really think about why they supposedly love films as an art form they just might start articulating that passion half as well as those on these boards.
Not coldness. I got bored and disappointed. Enough to just say stop, this isn't for me, I'm gonna do something else with my time. I may have been wrong. I don't think I got more than 30-40 minutes so I probably missed everything good about the movie. It can also be revisited.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:27 am
It Follows is much more than a parable for AIDS. It’s an exploration of the fault lines between youth and adulthood, sex and death. It’s an existential nightmare about learning to live with the realization that death is inescapable and just as sex creates life, with life comes the inevitability of death. Getting caught up in the logistics and minutiae of how the entity works is to miss the forest for the trees.

One of the best horror movies of the last 20 years.
Yes. I actually think that this film could make for a really cool double feature with Lake Mungo in terms of the idea of existential dread and surrendering the youthful illusion of immortality.

I love the last shot because it's like
"Yes, this thing exists. It will always be there. But if you're walking hand in hand with someone you love and trust, it's bearable."
Also, if you extend that metaphor you could almost talk about
how counter-productive all the plans are to defeat "it" (because you cannot defeat death) rather than learning to live with it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:05 am

Night of the Demons (1988) - 6/10
I wasn't expecting much from this one, but I strangely liked it a bit more than I expected. On the surface, it has its fair share of flaws such as how the acting ranges from wooden to laughable and that the dialogue is truly atrocious at times. After thinking about it for a bit, however, I started to notice a number of merits with it. For instance, a few of the fates of the characters surprised me. About 10 minutes in, I assumed that Judy and Jay would be the only ones who'd survive and that all the other unlikable/idiotic characters would die. Instead though, Jay turns into an asshole half way into the film and dies after he attempts to cheat on her. There's also Sal, who starts off as a prick, yet grows to be a likable character as the film goes on. Also, I'll always admire any movie where the black character survives (it seemed like he was going to die at a few points in the film, so I wonder if the film was messing with that trope). As for the gore, I strangely found it to be fairly scary as opposed to just being gross. Tenney is smart enough to know that, by having the characters recognizable when they're demons, the scenes of the teenagers mutilating/killing each other feel all the more horrifying to watch as a result since they're human aspects are still recognizable behind their makeup. While this isn't great or anything, I'd at least argue that it's a good film.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 pm
I got bored and disappointed. Enough to just say stop, this isn't for me,
Does not compute.

Indifference seems to follow this movie around and it baffles me.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:17 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm
Yes. I actually think that this film could make for a really cool double feature with Lake Mungo in terms of the idea of existential dread and surrendering the youthful illusion of immortality.

I love the last shot because it's like
"Yes, this thing exists. It will always be there. But if you're walking hand in hand with someone you love and trust, it's bearable."
Also, if you extend that metaphor you could almost talk about
how counter-productive all the plans are to defeat "it" (because you cannot defeat death) rather than learning to live with it.
As a literalist, I find it frustrating that the moral of It Follows is to walk at a steady 3mph pace for the rest of your life.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 pm

The Amazon Prime march through my watchlist continues!

Mister White

I can't imagine that anyone here would ever watch this. It's a pretty bad low-budget horror with some serious issues.

Stuttering, possibly mentally-ill teen, Tyler is relentlessly bullied at his high school by a gang of epicly awful jocks and mean girls. His one friend (and one-time sexy hook-up) Summer begins dating the main bully and things really go off the rails. Tyler's invisible friend, a creature called Mr. White, is soon summoned to get bloody revenge.

The acting, aside from the young woman who plays Summer, is pretty bad. The lead actor does a lot of ACTING, as if SHOUTING every THIRD WORD is the best WAY to convey EMOTION. He's not the only one in the cast who just straight-up screams a lot of his lines into everyone else's face, and it's kind of jarring.

There's not much new here. There's the classic outsider who has a crush on the nice girl who is inexplicably dating a guy who is an awful person and it makes no sense.

I will say this though: the villain is the reincarnated spirit of a sadistic slave owner who was killed by his own slaves and cursed to forever seek revenge for the mistreated. There is a scene late in the film where Mister White beats to death a young, gay, black character. Did NOBODY think about the optics of having a slave owner triumphantly murder a gay black man? No?

Generally I'm kind of a champion and a sympathetic viewer when it comes to low-budget horror. I think that some writers/directors have really cool ideas that their budgets/actors just aren't quite up to delivering. But this film is simply lacking across the board.

I will say that I did laugh when one of the mean girls is attacked and the other girl's reaction is to push her out the front door and lock it behind her. "Something's attacking Kayla!" "So you locked her outside?!?!?!?". Hee.

Also, and this is spoilers, but who cares? At the end of the movie we learn that
Summer is pregnant with Tyler's baby and for the love of Pete will someone explain why she wouldn't have gotten an abortion? Like, if some psychic had smirked at you and said "He will have his father's gifts" and also the baby's father is the man who KILLED like 9 people, why would you have that baby?
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Watched the Child's Play reboot, which inspired me to revisit the original, and enjoying the second for the first time. I think I've converted into a fan, and realized that the new one sorely missed out on the character of Chucky himself. The Child's Play reboot features Chucky as a malfunctioning Alexa/doll hybrid, which is a neat modernization, but nowhere near as fun as a mean-spirited maniac being trapped inside a doll. I couldn't help wondering why they couldn't have it both ways, turning Chucky's origin from fantasy to sci-fi, using SCIENCE to transfer a serial killer's consciousness into robotic doll?

As far as the Halloween, slasher icons go; I prefer the later, cartoony, smartass killers like Chucky & Freddy. They add an extra dimension to their circumstances because they're mistaken as the delusions of children, and have a nemesis to boot. The first Child's Play felt patient, making Chucky's reveal to the mother hilarious, and his offscreen, early conversations with Andy creepy. The second movie went full blown sequel and flew out of the gate with Chucky doing Chucky things. Child's Play 2 had some notably visual flare, with a lot of fun camera work and colorful setpieces.

I'm curious to watch the tone and quality change as I approach the late '90s Bride and Seed of Chucky. I can only assume things get out of hand, as expected of a neverending horror franchise, which somehow manages to be part of the fun. I like to binge these old Halloween franchises that I didn't actually grow up on. I didn't care for horror movies until I was in my teens, and yet, some of them still manage to feel nostalgic thanks to their prominent cover art I'd always see in rental stores which would captivate my young mind. The marketing for that era of horror successfully fooled my childish brain into assuming that the contents inside were too frightening, and just not for me.

So how are these movies generally regarded now-a-days? Chucky's always seemed like a black sheep to me, standing out from the Voorhees, Krueger, Pinhead pack you'd see in a Halloween display.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:50 pm

I watched the Child’s Play movies a lot when I was a kid and while none of them are really that great they’re fun trash. I think I like 2 the best for the third act set pieces.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:20 am

Climax (2018) - 7/10

This was quite good, and it should probably appeal to those who don't care for Noe's films since it's more accessible than some of his others. After the fantastic opening dance scene, the film does drag a bit and it wouldn't have been a bad idea to shorten certain scenes in the first half (for instance, using brief, black frames to cut between conversations is visually pleasing to watch, but not as pleasing as Noe, who extends it for quite a bit, seems to find it). Fortunately, the film quickly picks up in the second half once the descent into chaos gets going. Throughout this section, a constant, unrelenting barrage of bizarre lighting effects (the red hallways eerily recall the infamous subway sequence in Irreversible and, intentional or not, this heightens the film's power) and unconventional camera movements make the film feel like a nightmare to watch. I was so caught up in the second half, I often couldn't tell whether 5 or 20 minutes were going by. The film also works on a different level than just being violent though. Considering how the first half shows us the individual personalities and relationships amongst the characters, to see everything slowly fall apart and to watch them attack each other is also quite sad to watch. The final minutes do a good job at reinforcing this aspect. Even if you don't care for Noe, I'd still try this one out anyways.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Rotten Tomatoes' Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time

There's a number of great ones in there, but to say that some movies and their positions on the list feel out of place would be a massive understatement.
I mean, A Quiet Place at number 4? WTF?!?!
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:56 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:42 pm
Rotten Tomatoes' Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time

There's a number of great ones in there, but to say that some movies and their positions on the list feel out of place would be a massive understatement.
I mean, A Quiet Place at number 4? WTF?!?!
I thought you liked AQP? Anyway, the placements on RT lists are never reliable measurements of critical opinions, as I believe they use a formula that only measures a combination of overall fresh percentage plus overall numbers of reviews, and doesn't factor in the actual overall average scores, which explains why Us is #1 with a score that's "just" around a 7.9, and Alien is below it even though its score is about a full 9.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:56 am
I thought you liked AQP? Anyway, the placements on RT lists are never reliable measurements of critical opinions, as I believe they use a formula that only measures a combination of overall fresh percentage plus overall numbers of reviews, and doesn't factor in the actual overall average scores, which explains why Us is #1 with a score that's "just" around a 7.9, and Alien is below it even though its score is about a full 9.
A Quiet Place is good, but I wouldn't ever put it this high if I were to create a list like this. I'd just say it's a good film of it's respective year. But yeah, I feel like RT should use the average rating and the number of critical reviews instead of the tomatometer to rank lists like these as that's more of an accurate way to measure which films are received the best on the site.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Legion, a.k.a. The Exorcist III director’s cut is worth watching whether or not you enjoyed the theatrical cut. The most notable difference between the two is that Legion excises the studio-mandated additions that make the theatrical cut seem more like an Exorcist sequel, such as Jason Murphy's appearances in the Gemini killer interrogation scenes, and less like the Exorcist-adjacent, if you will, movie that writer/director Blatty wanted to make. On the whole, I'd say that Legion is the better cut of the two. The aforementioned interrogation scenes are much better - I never liked Miller's appearances, especially since they distract from Brad Dourif's incredible and incredibly frightening performance - and additional scenes that build Kinderman and Father Dyer's relationship as well as ones that detail Kinderman's investigation add welcome character building and make the movie seem more mature and substantive. While the changes from the theatrical cut take away from the atmosphere and supernatural vibes, it thankfully leaves in the best of the movie's oddities, i.e. Kinderman's dream that features cameos from Fabio and Patrick Ewing. Unfortunately, Legion does not improve upon George C. Scott's odd performance as Kinderman. There's no doubt that his investigation is making him lose sleep and feel stressed out, but his outbursts still seem as out of left field as Reb Brown's screaming fits in Space Mutiny. Even so, like I said, you should check this out whether or not you love the theatrical cut or if you were indifferent or even outright hated it. Either way, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm
Legion, a.k.a. The Exorcist III director’s cut is worth watching whether or not you enjoyed the theatrical cut. The most notable difference between the two is that Legion excises the studio-mandated additions that make the theatrical cut seem more like an Exorcist sequel, such as Jason Murphy's appearances in the Gemini killer interrogation scenes, and less like the Exorcist-adjacent, if you will, movie that writer/director Blatty wanted to make. On the whole, I'd say that Legion is the better cut of the two. The aforementioned interrogation scenes are much better - I never liked Miller's appearances, especially since they distract from Brad Dourif's incredible and incredibly frightening performance - and additional scenes that build Kinderman and Father Dyer's relationship as well as ones that detail Kinderman's investigation add welcome character building and make the movie seem more mature and substantive. While the changes from the theatrical cut take away from the atmosphere and supernatural vibes, it thankfully leaves in the best of the movie's oddities, i.e. Kinderman's dream that features cameos from Fabio and Patrick Ewing. Unfortunately, Legion does not improve upon George C. Scott's odd performance as Kinderman. There's no doubt that his investigation is making him lose sleep and feel stressed out, but his outbursts still seem as out of left field as Reb Brown's screaming fits in Space Mutiny. Even so, like I said, you should check this out whether or not you love the theatrical cut or if you were indifferent or even outright hated it. Either way, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This is, of course, the best moment of the entire film (garden-shears be damned!).
I would never have thought to call Patrick Ewing (whose entire career I watched) beatific, but after seeing this, there is no denying it or unseeing it. Whenever I see him now, he looks like an angel to me.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 pm

There's also a scene where the kid from Airplane says "I know you! You're Patrick Ewing. You play basketball for the New York Knicks," and he responds with "I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. I'm the Angel of Death."
Just kidding.
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm

So The Lighthouse is quite a thing, eh?
I might be the biggest fan of The Witch on this forum, but I think it's clear that The Lighthouse is the better film. Defoe is a joy to watch (and listen to). The bits of humor are welcome, as even I found that The Witch came close to taking itself too seriously. And once again Eggers leaves us with an incredible shot at the end. SOB knows how to end a film, that's for sure. :up:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm
I might be the biggest fan of The Witch on this forum, but I think it's clear that The Lighthouse is the better film. Defoe is a joy to watch (and listen to). The bits of humor are welcome, as even I found that The Witch came close to taking itself too seriously. And once again Eggers leaves us with an incredible shot at the end. SOB knows how to end a film, that's for sure. :up:
A bigger fan than I??? But yes. Its a hell of a thing. I posted a letterboxd review of it a page or so back.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Lighthouse isn't playing around here :(

OK. Let's be bad. Somebody give me a link to where I might be able to download this and Parasite please. I sure would purshate it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm

What's everyone else think of the Entity? Aside from some fairly hokey bits here and there, I thought this was one of the more upsetting and visceral haunt flicks around.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:01 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm
What's everyone else think of the Entity? Aside from some fairly hokey bits here and there, I thought this was one of the more upsetting and visceral haunt flicks around.
The Barbara Hershey film? I've always liked it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:01 pm
The Barbara Hershey film? I've always liked it.
Yup. I think with some editing it could've become an all time classic. Just not crazy about a few electricity effects and the prospect of the climax. Everything else hits with force and feels all the more prescient in today's political climate.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm
The ending sucks. The rest is good.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:11 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm
A bigger fan than I???
Sorry, with all the arguing it inspires, I forget who's for and who's against. I was starting to feel like the only one that loved it with no reservations.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm
But yes. Its a hell of a thing. I posted a letterboxd review of it a page or so back.
Yep, I read your review and a few others. (I'm an idiot: I completely missed the Prometheus reference.)
Would you agree that this is quite a step forward for Mr. Eggers? I mean the Witch is aimed squarely at me so I'm always gonna be partial to it but this just seemed like a leap forward in every way. I would've been fine with a movie that was "like the Witch but at sea", but I'm glad (and impressed) that he delivered so much more than that. I think this one can win over some of those who weren't completely sold on his first film. I'll admit I wasn't exactly sure how I felt at various points but that second-to-last shot won me over in a big way right at the end. This one's gonna have a high rewatch value, I think.

And Slentert: My audience giggled at the end as well. That's about all you CAN do, I guess.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:44 am

Popcorn, I know you got links. I don't know the code words to get into the club. PM me if you don't want to out your sources.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:44 am
Popcorn, I know you got links. I don't know the code words to get into the club. PM me if you don't want to out your sources.
If you mean that you're okay with watching Parasite for free online, I'll link the site I found it from. It has the occasional pop up ad (which is typical for sites like it; just click them off), but it's a great copy of it. Also, although you could wait for it to load before watching it, I just downloaded it by right clicking the video and saving it to my hard drive.

Parasite

Also, I checked and although The Lighthouse is on the site, since it's really new, the quality is of someone pointing a camera at a movie screen. If you're okay with it, I guess you could download it as well, but I'm going to probably wait for it to hit Amazon in the future. I'll link it anyways though.

The Lighthouse
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks Popcorn. (*Postlethwaite stare at the rest of you*)

I'll stick with Parasite for now.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 am

Yeah, I'm a fan of The Entity. Barbara Hershey's performance is a lot weightier than the genre usually asks for, and the movie is a lot better because of it.

I'm curious as to what everyone's issues with the ending are?
Granted, it's not all that fresh in my memory so it's possible I might feel differently with another viewing, but I remember enjoying how it came off like a parody of the genre by setting the action in a mockup of the heroine's house.
Also, anyone here seen Peter Tscherkassky's Outer Space? It's an avant garde short film made from footage of the movie that nicely channels its visceral qualities.

"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm
Dumb question: Is this included on the franchise Blu-ray box set? I own that but out of sheer laziness have only watched the second and third movie (theatrical cuts) after buying it. (I've seen the original, but years back on VHS.)
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm
Whoa!
Cuz I thought I was the biggest fan of The VVitch on this forum. So fuck, I guess I gotta see this.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 am
Dumb question: Is this included on the franchise Blu-ray box set? I own that but out of sheer laziness have only watched the second and third movie (theatrical cuts) after buying it. (I've seen the original, but years back on VHS.)
If it's this one, I don't think so. Legion comes with the Shout Factory Blu-Ray from 2016, and Letterboxd says that cut has a 2016 release date, so it may only be available on that one.
Last Great Movie Seen
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Captain Terror wrote:And Slentert: My audience giggled at the end as well. That's about all you CAN do, I guess.
Yeah, I don't think I laughed, but it's deliberately comic.

I was surprised at the lack of ambiguity. Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't see any reason it's labeled fantasy.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Yeah, I don't think I laughed, but it's deliberately comic.
Just to be clear, I was referring to this eariler post:
Slentert wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am
After the screening, a lot of people started randomly laughing because they just didn't knew how else to respond. My favorite kind of theater visits.
My audience didn't really laugh at the parts I found humorous, but when the credits rolled there was a sort of "WTF?" giggle sprinkled around the room.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Yeah, maybe I should have replied to Slentert instead. I just meant to add the idea that some of the laughter could have been at the over-the-top irony of the
seagull punchline,
rather than random baffled laughter.
Rump

Post by Rump » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 pm

So their doing The Grudge again for the 3rd time and guess who's in it... Lin Shaye

How original hollywood :roll:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 am

Rump wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 pm
So their doing The Grudge again for the 3rd time and guess who's in it... Lin Shaye

I'm optimistic because the director made Eyes of My Mother and that's better than any Grudge film.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:39 am

Rump wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 pm

I love Lin Shaye.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 am
I'm optimistic because the director made Eyes of My Mother and that's better than any Grudge film.
I haven't seen Eyes Of My Mother, but Ju-On is one of the few movies to actually scare me in the last decade.
Rump

Post by Rump » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:39 am
I love Lin Shaye.
Yeah but they keep sticking her in at least one horror per year as the same old wise woman, can't she play something else like a doctor, a lawyer or a peruvian traffic cop?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:10 am

Lin Shaye is a malevolent spirit and the only way to keep her contained is to keep casting her in mediocre-to-passable horror films.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:37 am

I just watched Midsommar. Definitely more of a slow burn than Hereditary, and I didn’t like the acting or characters a much. But my god the cinematography.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm a bit behind on my horror viewings. I still have to write something for Shaun of the Dead and then watch From Dusk Till Dawn and write something on that one. If I don't finish by tonight, I'll definitely finish them this weekend. Overall, I saw some fine films this month.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:37 am
I just watched Midsommar. Definitely more of a slow burn than Hereditary, and I didn’t like the acting or characters a much. But my god the cinematography.
Yeah, it's a good-looking movie for sure.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 am

Shaun of the Dead (2004) - 9/10

This is now among my favorite horror comedy films and my favorite horror films of the decade. While many zombie films usually have a couple or more extraneous characters who don't do much, the same can't be said for this film. Every single major character and multiple events in the film play an important role in advancing the character arc of Shaun: an electronics salesman with no direction in his life. The film starts off as a romantic comedy as it details how his life is slowly falling apart. Once the zombie apocalypse breaks out though, it's up to him to redeem himself for his family and his friends. This character arc could've been presented by way of a drama film, but the zombies themselves add an extra layer to the film. This layer is how Shaun, in many ways, acts as a social zombie by how his daily routines are occasionally dull and lifeless. Scenes with him walking towards the camera in a zombie-like manner and an extended sequence of him walking to a convenient store without noticing a number of zombies pursuing him along the way serve to reinforce how his physical behavior holds certain similarities to them. In addition to some well-written comedic scenes and lines and some memorable instances of violence, this film definitely earns its status as a great film.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 am

Rewatched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre to settle something once and for all.

Franklin definitely had the knife last.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 am

Rock wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 am
Rewatched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre to settle something once and for all.

Franklin definitely had the knife last.
Shit I can't remember.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 am

Shaun was a revelatory comedy when I watched it in theaters as a 13 year old. It was my first major exposure to British comedy (I watched Holy Grail for the first time that year as well) and I learned that there was something more than Bart Simpson and Mel Brooks in the realm of humor.

It also helped that I was already an avid zombie fan and felt “in the know” at the references like “We’re coming to get you Barbara!”

Regardless, it’s film that work as a zombie horror, as a comedy and, shockingly, as a drama. It’s damn near perfect.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:02 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 am
Shit I can't remember.
Even worse, he doesn't even give Sally the knife. Not on screen, at least.
Not saying he deserved to get chainsawed for this, but the falling down while taking a leak was well earned.
____
Blog!
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 am

I love monster movies so to wrap up the season I saved my most anticipated for last: CRAWL. Aw yeah giant alligator movie. I enjoyed this immensely. Some nice production value and set pieces, good tension and atmosphere, and some surprisingly violent deaths. We need more mid-budget monster movies like Crawl.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 am
Shaun was a revelatory comedy when I watched it in theaters as a 13 year old. It was my first major exposure to British comedy (I watched Holy Grail for the first time that year as well) and I learned that there was something more than Bart Simpson and Mel Brooks in the realm of humor.

It also helped that I was already an avid zombie fan and felt “in the know” at the references like “We’re coming to get you Barbara!”

Regardless, it’s film that work as a zombie horror, as a comedy and, shockingly, as a drama. It’s damn near perfect.
Agreed, it's really great for sure. In terms of zombie comedy films, I think this one might be Return of the Living Dead's equal as both are amazing in different ways.