Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - 7/10

I'm closing off this Halloween season with From Dusk Till Dawn. Since I was already aware of the twist beforehand, I decided to focus on how well both halves hold up. The first half did a good job at maintaining a suspenseful and uncomfortable tone with the slickness of Clooney and the creepiness of Tarantino. Seeing the trust the two of them had in each other slowly falling apart and how Tarantino complicated matters a few times brought another layer of suspense to the first half. While I was somewhat disappointed over how the dynamic between the two of them ultimately didn't develop into much, I understand why Rodriguez had to scrap it. The second half will appeal to those who enjoy over-the-top violence and the Evil Dead franchise. Certain aspects to it stand out quite well such as Sex Machine and Salma Hayek's erotic dance. As a whole though, I'd say the second half is a couple tiers down from the Evil Dead films as
once Sex Machine dies
, the craziness of the whole affair goes down by quite a bit, which is not to say I was bored with the remaining film by any means. It just didn't mean a whole lot to me. For the most part though, I enjoyed this one and I feel like it deserves more credit than what some critics have given it. Is it uneven? Absolutely, but intentionally so.

Also, while watching this, I thought a lot about Boyle's Sunshine and how the final act to that film isn't well regarded here while the second half to this film is. Both of these films start off one way only to drastically change tones and turn into a completely different film. So, for those who like the second half of this movie and dislike the final act of Sunshine, why do you guys feel like there's a tremendous gulp in quality between the two of these films? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this question, because, if anything, I feel like the tonal change in this film is more severe than that of Sunshine. Although, I'll add that I like both films quite a lot.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Anyways, here's a ranking of what I've seen this month (not including re-watches).

1) Carrie - 9/10
2) Shaun of the Dead - 9/10
3) Re-Animator - 9/10
4) They Live - 8/10
5) Repulsion - 8/10
6) It Follows - 8/10
7) Green Room - 7/10
8) Climax - 7/10
9) From Dusk Till Dawn - 7/10
10) Night of the Demons - 6/10
11) It: Chapter Two - 5/10

Edit: Forgot to add Night of the Demons.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Even though it's directed by Ken Russell and features a very alluring performance by Amanda Donohoe, I found The Lair of the White Worm to be mostly tame. Based on a Bram Stoker novel, it's set in a small English town where the titular worm is a legend mentioned in folk songs and old wives’ tales. When archaeologist Angus Flint (Peter Capaldi) discovers a strange, serpentine skull and mysterious resident Lady Sylvia Marsh (Donohoe) unexpectedly returns after a long absence, the worm is proven to be very real. The cast, which includes Hugh Grant and the great British character actor Paul Brooke are welcome additions, but it's Donohoe who is the movie's secret weapon. Her sexiness and fearlessness kept me on edge whenever she was on screen. Despite her best efforts, while I was mostly entertained, the movie did not totally meet my expectations given the director's history and the source material’s author. While there are some freak-outs reminiscent of Eddie's visions in Altered States and a very odd dream sequence that takes place in a plane, they seem so out of place that the only thing they raised in me was my eyebrow in mild confusion. All in all, it's a movie best placed in the middle of a horror movie marathon because it's not frightening enough to start or end it, but just scary enough to make you hungry for more.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm
Anyways, here's a ranking of what I've seen this month (not including re-watches).

1) Carrie - 9/10
2) Shaun of the Dead - 9/10
3) Re-Animator - 9/10
4) They Live - 8/10
5) Repulsion - 8/10
6) It Follows - 8/10
7) Green Room - 7/10
8) Climax - 7/10
9) From Dusk Till Dawn - 7/10
10) It: Chapter Two - 5/10
Solid list there, Pops. I feel like everyone else watched better movies than me this year.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm
Solid list there, Pops. I feel like everyone else watched better movies than me this year.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun with this month. Next year, I might pick some more obscure titles like Night of the Demons, which I just noticed I forgot to add to my list. What were your favorite films you saw this month?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I've just been watching YouTube trailers for movies like Prom Ride so . . . :(
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 am

I have to step it up next year, I only saw four.

2019-10-18 A Hole in the Ground (B)
2019-10-19 Hereditary (B)
2019-10-26 Dead Birds (C)
2019-10-29 Rosemary's Baby (A-)

I think I got through most of the movies that look imediately appealing and I didn't know what to pick for this year. I'd have watched more if I planned my shit earlier. At least I finished the month on a high note.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:12 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:21 am
I've just been watching YouTube trailers for movies like Prom Ride so . . . :(
Success at your level doesn't come without sacrifice!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:36 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:28 pm
What were your favorite films you saw this month?
Never seen before:
Candyman (Great)
Bad Moon (Pretty Good)
The Witches (Great)
The Ugly (recommended)
Dark Waters (Pleasant Surprise of the Month!)
Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (fun)
Graveyard Shift (not great)
Hocus Pocus (fun but empty)
Hardware (flawed but interesting)
The Reflecting Skin (not at all what I expected; I'll no doubt appreciate it even more on a rewatch)
Snow White: A Tale of Terror (wasn't into it, but I think I was in a bad mood that night)
Body Bags (fun)
The Dark Half (fine, but not great)

Rewatches:
Edward Scissorhands (love)
Sleepy Hollow (don't like as much as I used to)
Se7en (still great)
The Exorcist III (still great)
Ravenous (I have this memorized at this point; love it)
Arachnophobia (like it less than I did in '90)
The Silence of the Lambs (great film of course, but this viewing left me questioning if it's sweep-the-Oscars great)
Cronos (love)

So I spent last October acquainting myself with films I'd missed in the 80s, and although that is my least favorite decade for movies, I still had fun because I felt like I was learning stuff at the very least, or finally seeing classics I'd neglected. I think I watched over 40 movies if I'm not mistaken.
This year I gave myself an all-1990s theme. Although I'm not as clueless about the 90s as I was about the 80s, it's still a decade I don't gravitate towards often so I thought I'd have a similar experience this year but that wasn't the case. Saw some good movies, even some great ones, but my enthusiasm was low. (Possibly because the temperature rarely dipped below 85F down here?) So as you can see, I finished with a paltry 21 movies.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:36 am
Snow White: A Tale of Terror (wasn't into it, but I think I was in a bad mood that night)
Did you review this one in here? I have kind of a soft spot for it. Part of me feels like it's garbage, but part of me is in love with Sigourney Weaver's interpretation of the evil queen. I just wish they'd picked a more expressive actress for the Snow White role and also that the romantic subplot had been handled differently. I know that Gil Bellows is only 12 years older than Monica Keena, but his character is played as so worldly/weary and hers as so fresh-eyed/naive, that it was like watching a "romance" between a 14 year old and someone in their mid-30s.

But there are some really neat stylistic choices, and the repeated image of the stillborn baby is haunting. I also think that giving the "Evil Queen" some real, emotional background helps to make the film a little less superficial.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:00 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 pm
So, for those who like the second half of this movie and dislike the final act of Sunshine, why do you guys feel like there's a tremendous gulp in quality between the two of these films?
I don't think there's a big gulf in quality between these two films. Both films are rock-solid with some moments of real inspiration and some moments where I basically do an Office Jim-stare at the camera. I'd call Sunshine the better film because its peaks are more glorious and even ennobling, but From Dusk till Dawn does a better job with its switcheroo because it occurs sooner in the narrative (so it's not a late-breaking rug-pull) and because it's a bit of an easier jump from one sort of pulp fiction (dimestore crime/noir) to the other (vampire action).
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 am
Did you review this one in here? I have kind of a soft spot for it. Part of me feels like it's garbage, but part of me is in love with Sigourney Weaver's interpretation of the evil queen. I just wish they'd picked a more expressive actress for the Snow White role and also that the romantic subplot had been handled differently. I know that Gil Bellows is only 12 years older than Monica Keena, but his character is played as so worldly/weary and hers as so fresh-eyed/naive, that it was like watching a "romance" between a 14 year old and someone in their mid-30s.

But there are some really neat stylistic choices, and the repeated image of the stillborn baby is haunting. I also think that giving the "Evil Queen" some real, emotional background helps to make the film a little less superficial.
No I didn't review it, as my morale had gotten pretty low by this point in the month. (Not because of this movie specifically, I was just bored with the 90s thing I guess)
But yeah, I didn't dislike any of it, I was just feeling half-hearted about it that night and should've just put it off for another time. One of those nights where half my attention was on my phone.
My main takeaway was that Weaver looked like she was having a blast as the villain, so that was fun. I was into the overall look and tone of everything so I'll give it another shot some day.

Another factor: This past month has reminded me how AWFUL 1990s DVDs could be. I don't remember the term, but it's when an image is widescreen but doesn't fill the TV screen? So there's black space around all sides of the image? Whatever that's called, I saw three films in one week that were like that and this was one of them. And the image was dark and fuzzy on top of that.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:17 am

Happy Death Day 2U

Fun! Jessica Rothe needs to be taken seriously as an actor. Appreciate how far off the horror grid it went.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Sleepy Hollow (don't like as much as I used to)
I really just don't feel like that movie holds up. I've given it a couple chances over the last 10 years or so and it actually fares worse than Coppola's Dracula.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:44 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Also, while watching this, I thought a lot about Boyle's Sunshine and how the final act to that film isn't well regarded here while the second half to this film is. Both of these films start off one way only to drastically change tones and turn into a completely different film. So, for those who like the second half of this movie and dislike the final act of Sunshine, why do you guys feel like there's a tremendous gulp in quality between the two of these films? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this question, because, if anything, I feel like the tonal change in this film is more severe than that of Sunshine. Although, I'll add that I like both films quite a lot.
I think, for one thing, in a film like this (FDTD) the tonal shift doesn't feel like it needs to be earned so much because the whole point of the film IS the tonal shift and again (as stated eloquently above) it's pulp to pulp so it's easy. But the only reason the first third takes itself so seriously (and still only in so much as Tarantino/Rodriguez can) is so that the next 2/3 can riff off of that seriousness.
Boyle clearly intended no such thing. I'm not sure he's even aware of the tonal dissonance, he seems to think that somehow it flows and makes sense, it's not even clear if he was aware of what a clanging, dropping an armful of pots and pans on a tile floor disaster his choice was.
To this day, when I think of a film with internal dissonance, I think of Sunshine first, as the sort of Webster's, according-to-Hoyle's example of how not to introduce, either accidentally (as I believe was the case in his film) or intentionally, a tonal shift.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:56 am

Edit: Actually, I think I understand this a bit better now. I can see why some people would prefer FDtD's switch over Sunshine's. As I said, I like both of them, but I see where you guys are coming from more now.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:57 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Never seen before:
Bad Moon (Pretty Good)
The Witches (Great)
Hocus Pocus (fun but empty)

Rewatches:
Edward Scissorhands (love)
Se7en (still great)
The Silence of the Lambs (great film of course, but this viewing left me questioning if it's sweep-the-Oscars great)
Cronos (love)
I've only seen the following films, but I'd say I'm pretty much with you on them. I'm glad you enjoyed Bad Moon. It's quite good. I haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs in a while, but from what I remember, I loved it quite a lot. As for whether I have an objection with it winning all those Oscars, I'd say I'm fine with it. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 or my top 20 horror films (maybe even further back) if I were to make one, but I feel like it's better than most movies which tend to win Oscars like best Picture, Best Director, and so on, so if they want to give it the awards, that's fine by me.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:17 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:57 am
I've only seen the following films, but I'd say I'm pretty much with you on them. I'm glad you enjoyed Bad Moon. It's quite good. I haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs in a while, but from what I remember, I loved it quite a lot. As for whether I have an objection with it winning all those Oscars, I'd say I'm fine with it. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 or my top 20 horror films (maybe even further back) if I were to make one, but I feel like it's better than most movies which tend to win Oscars like best Picture, Best Director, and so on, so if they want to give it the awards, that's fine by me.
I just looked up the 91 Oscars and the competition was relatively weak that year, so on second thought I guess that's fine. It's just that the film seemed a bit more "slight" than I'd remembered. Pretty sure this is only my second time watching it beginning-to-end. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's great and Foster and Hopkins both do great work here.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:20 am

My horrorthon 1st watches:

3 from Hell
The Entity
Angst
The Last Horror Film
Hands of the Ripper
Countess Dracula
The Lighthouse
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
I Bury the Living
Tourist Trap
The Nun
Happy Death Day 2U
Happy Death Day
Vampire Circus
13 Cameras
Night of the Demons
In the Tall Grass
Def by Temptation
Psycho IV: The Beginning
Psycho III
The Phantom Carriage
Psycho II
Omen III: The Final Conflict
Damien: Omen II
Angel Heart
Curtains
The Omen
The Lost Boys
The Exorcist III
Jennifer's Body
All Hallows' Eve 2
One Cut of the Dead
Cannibal Girls
All Hallows’ Eve
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:20 am
Angst
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Night of the Demons
The Phantom Carriage
I've only seen those 4, which I like to various degrees with Phantom Carriage being my favorite. Damn, I need to watch more movies.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:47 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 am
I've only seen those 4, which I like to various degrees with Phantom Carriage being my favorite. Damn, I need to watch more movies.
I more or less loved all 4 of them for very different reasons. They all felt tailor made to appeal to some niche interest of mine.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:09 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:47 am
I more or less loved all 4 of them for very different reasons. They all felt tailor made too appeal to some niche interest of mine.
With IotBS, did you see the '56 or the '78 version? I love both quite a lot, but if I had to pick, I'd choose the '56 version by a hair.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:09 am
With IotBS, did you see the '56 or the '78 version? I love both quite a lot, but if I had to pick, I'd choose the '56 version by a hair.
This was the 78 version. I love the 56 version as well and consider it along Siegel's finest work but it was a tad hobbled by the political demands of the era and the tacked on ending leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially given how great the rest is. With the 78 version, you've got Sutherland and a much superior ending.

One of my favorite remakes.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:17 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 am
This was the 78 version. I love the 56 version as well and consider it along Siegel's finest work but it was a tad hobbled by the political demands of the era and the tacked on ending leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially given how great the rest is. With the 78 version, you've got Sutherland and a much superior ending.

One of my favorite remakes.
I don't remember being bothered by those things, but I can understand why others would. Both are really close to each other in my opinion.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:55 am

Horror-related movies I saw in the past month.

Halloween (the original)
The Exorcist
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Lighthouse
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
Assassination Nation (worst movie I saw this month)
Deep Red
Dressed To Kill (perhaps not really horror, but I think it fits)
Ugetsu
Carnival of Souls
The Devils
Night of the Demon
Masque of the Red Death (my favorite movie I saw all month)
The Hidden
Dead of Night
Horror Express
Blind Vaysha (an animated short, really good)
The Cabin in the Woods (the only rewatch of the month)

All together not a bad list.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm just thrilled that so many people have watched Curtains and Vampire Circus.
Rump

Post by Rump » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:22 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:20 am
My horrorthon 1st watches:

3 from Hell
The Lighthouse
I Bury the Living
13 Cameras
Def by Temptation
All Hallows' Eve 2
One Cut of the Dead
Cannibal Girls
All Hallows’ Eve
The ones i haven't seen

Def by Temptation looks right up my alley :up:
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm

October horror viewings (actually started late September, but whatever). Urled to the few write-ups I did.

First time viewings:
Bandh Darwaza
Purana Mandir

Woman of Fire
Vampyres
The Church
Anguish
The Blob
The Blob
(remake)
Cheerleader Camp
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2
Monkey Shines
The Dark Half
Wolf Guy
The Living Corpse
Satanico Pandemonium
The Stepfather
King Kong Escapes
Curtains
Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fay
An Artistic Couple
Blacula
Don't Deliver Us From Evil
I, Madman
Beyond the Darkness
Snake Woman's Curse
Dark Waters
The Sect

Rewatches:
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Best first time viewings were Satanico Pandemonium, the remake of The Blob, The Stepfather, Monkey Shines and The Sect.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Nope.

I only saw Mea Culpa Maxima (B-), Horns (C) and I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (D).

If it weren't for Blow Out and Ghost in the Shell, it would have stunk month wise.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Rump wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:22 pm
The ones i haven't seen

Def by Temptation looks right up my alley :up:
Haven't seen Temptation in years (decades?), but I do recall liking it. Would recommend to you. :up:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:41 am

Watching The Battery, an old, RT-era DaMU recommendation.

About 30 minutes in and so far so good!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:55 am

So The Battery was pretty great. Very character based. And while both characters were frustrating in their own ways, they (and their mistakes) felt very real. And--major bonus points--it really sticks the landing, which is often a downfall for horror films.

Highly recommended, and it's on Amazon Prime.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm

Hey! All right! Glad you enjoyed it.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Yes, and I was shocked to learn that the budget was only $6000!

And in reading some follow-up interviews/trivia, it seems like the director made some really good decisions/edits.

For example, the scene where he
gets out of the car was just scrapped because it looked underwhelming because there weren't enough "zombie" extras.
Also, I guess that originally the scene where Mickey
masturbates in the car was originally a rape scene? As in he was going to tie up and have sex with the female zombie?
Anyway, I think it's a good example of low-budget filmmaking that makes some really wise choices.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Oh, people have actually seen The Battery?

While I can't say I loved it, it was interesting enough to be much much better than I was expecting. You don't generally expect anything good when you ask someone to recommend a mumblecore horror movie, because apparently that week, that is something I was looking for.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm
Oh, people have actually seen The Battery?

While I can't say I loved it, it was interesting enough to be much much better than I was expecting. You don't generally expect anything good when you ask someone to recommend a mumblecore horror movie, because apparently that week, that is something I was looking for.
I liked the fact that it was two people who didn't know each other very well and actually had some major personality differences/issues with each other. And it's not a "meet cute" type thing where they complete each other.

In terms of dynamics of a situation like that, I felt like it was actually pretty accurate to the way that people would be thrown together and some of those aggressions/annoyances would come out.

And I thought that the film was very wise to keep the
mysterious (and evil?) Orchard people almost completely off-screen.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:09 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 pm
While there are some freak-outs reminiscent of Eddie's visions in Altered States
But how many films have a fellated Spear of Destiny?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:54 am

I wish I got to see more fresh first-time watches this year but I've gotten some kind of reputation for taste and so found myself introducing people to some recent favorites. The good part is that means I watched Strangler in the Swamp about four times.

Out of the paltry few new watches....

Oily Maniac (1976, dir. Meng Hua Ho) - 5/10

Shaw Brothers take on the Orang Minyak folkmyth, which is basically "walking shit man" in any tongue. Probably better than Swamp Thing at least.

Macabre (1980, dir. Lamberto Bava) - 6/10

Lil' Bava's debut is definitely his weakest film, but still strange enough to elicit some amused guffaws. It's nowhere near as much fun as Demons and not as insane as Delirium, but it has its less lucid moments. I admire its total straight-faced commitment to its ridiculous twist.

Strasek, der Vampir (1983, dir. Theodor Boder) - 8.5/10

Lovely ice cold B&W with a chilly, still pace, this film evokes Dreyer and Bergman in its existentially stark silver and shadows. In German, but the subtitles feel superfluous, in a way that's similar to a more recent cold-as-stone B&W film from Poland, November, a film so visually captivating that I watched it even without subs available. Both of these are curios worth seeking out, with Strasek apparently a one-man production (Boder is also writer, photographer, editor) and one of his only two films. Recommended for those with the patience to let it freeze them.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 am

Rock wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Monkey Shines
I saw Monkey Shines on TV when I was like 8 or 9. Two key takeaways:

1) There's a scene early on when the main character is like, stretching in the nude? And the TV channel actually showed him from behind and I was like "Wait, they will sometimes let MEN be nude on screen?!" It wasn't some formative sexy moment or anything, it had just never occurred to me that male nudity in film was a thing. At all. (This was broadcast television, so I wasn't seeing a lot of nudity on TV in general, but up to that point it had only been lady butts or carefully obscured lady boobs).

2) There's a scene where the monkey bursts out of
the main guy's body during a surgery sequence, then it turns out it is a dream.
I'm not sure if I'd stopped paying attention or if weird for-TV editing had confused me, but I legitimately thought that in that scene the monkey was (wait for it) coming out of an airline meal (I know, I know). So, like, a monkey would not even fit in a little airline meal container. I do not know how I got this impression. But for about two years I was genuinely frightened that a monkey would burst out of my airline meal wielding a razor. Aside from Hellraiser this is the only movie I remember making me afraid as a child in any kind of a lasting way. And I also knew that I could not share this fear with anyone, because I was terrified and yet I knew it was absurd.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:44 am

Just learned from Bong Joon-Ho's Reddit AMA that he's a huge fan of Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Pulse, and it's like, my guy, I already loved you.
NOTE:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:10 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:54 am
The good part is that means I watched Strangler in the Swamp about four times.
I actually don't know much of anything about this movie, but for some reason I was trying to find it online a couple of nights ago.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 am
2) There's a scene where the monkey bursts out of
the main guy's body during a surgery sequence, then it turns out it is a dream.
I'm not sure if I'd stopped paying attention or if weird for-TV editing had confused me, but I legitimately thought that in that scene the monkey was (wait for it) coming out of an airline meal (I know, I know). So, like, a monkey would not even fit in a little airline meal container.
To be fair, that's your in-flight meal if you fly Delta Airlines.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 am

I quite enjoyed Only Lovers Left Alive. Great atmosphere, lush visuals, etc.

But the Ava character (who I know was meant to be annoying) was SO ANNOYING that her whole section of the film was just frustrating to watch.

Also, I didn't realize Anton Yelchin was going to be in this film and seeing him and
especially seeing him dead
kind of made my heart hurt.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:21 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm
To be fair, that's your in-flight meal if you fly Delta Airlines.
[Lawyer font]I have here a 2011 memorandum clearly stipulating that all Delta Airlines jokes were to be transitioned into Spirit Airlines jokes no latter than 2014.[/font]
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 am

Saw The Lighthouse tonight, it is madness in the best way possible.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 am
I quite enjoyed Only Lovers Left Alive. Great atmosphere, lush visuals, etc.

But the Ava character (who I know was meant to be annoying) was SO ANNOYING that her whole section of the film was just frustrating to watch.

Also, I didn't realize Anton Yelchin was going to be in this film and seeing him and
especially seeing him dead
kind of made my heart hurt.
Yeah, that's a favorite in my crowd.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Today I found a post-it in my classroom that read "I've seen enough horror movies to know that some weirdo in a mask is not friendly!".
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:40 pm

daakmore wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 am
Saw The Lighthouse tonight, it is madness in the best way possible.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:47 am

Dr. Sleep - B / B+

Shockingly not-bad, not because Flanagan was a source of doubt, but because (a) I heard bad things about the novel and (b) imagined a film (from trailers) that drenched itself too much in Kubrick's iconography to the point of playing like karaoke. Instead, the more Kubrickian touches (like the final return to the Overlook) play like a solid cover (even if it often creates an "uncanny valley" effect. But where the film really worked for me was during its middle sections, which allow Flanagan a bit more space to play in the Stephen King mode, which has more of a fantasy / comic book sensibility at times (a delirious sequence of astral projection at midnight proves the film's highlight). Like Darabont, Flanagan has a talent for finding the best elements of a King work, paring it down to those essentials, and then giving the story room to breathe, the characters time to build in our mind as characters before the could-be-campy supernatural tomfoolery kicks into high gear. It's that patience and attention to character that allows Danny Torrance to exist as a plausible alcoholic, and Rebecca Ferguson's electrifying Rose the Hat to feel like a formidable threat instead of a Valley Mom lookin' punchline. At times Flanagan's style is so careful that it risks feeling workmanlike. You can feel the sweat as he tries to tell a story that honors three competing visions (the original novel, the film, King's new novel), and so he at times sort of half-commits to Kubrick's ice-cold camera motion, which can make it a bit jarring when that style breaks. (You imagine that Kubrick would've laughed and waved off some of these special effects and medium shots with no background definition.)

On casting choices of more... familiar characters:
Casting Henry Thomas as Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance... doesn't not work, and it's infinitely preferable to some kind of CG effect, but that creates the biggest moment of "uncanny valley" effect that I mentioned earlier. Alex Essoe, however, completely nails Shelley Duvall's Wendy (with that floppy body motion and all) without coming off like a Saturday Night Live impression.
On things that King junkies might notice:
The busses were from the Tet Corporation!!! The dead baseball boy is #19. The address for Abra's house is 1980, the year of the original film's release. There's probably a lot more, I'm sure. The train in the park evokes Charlie the Choo Choo from The Dark Tower, but that's maybe too big a leap.
I think King fans will appreciate the film, people who mostly tolerate King but love Kubrick's film will have a mixed reaction, and filthy casuals will like the film but be a bit confused by it all by the end. But it's made with a sense of integrity. It's good-faith good work. And Rebecca Ferguson. Again. Electrifying.
NOTE: